PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Charmingly Miserable
04-08-2014, 10:21 PM
i always hear it in my head like it's the beginning of "professional widow" by tori amos (in place of "slag pit stag shit")
Starfuckerrrrrrrrr! Just like my daddy
Selling his baby
Just like my daddy

screwdriver
04-08-2014, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjURnn8DAyY

Pretty much the best thing in existence.
if those fucking beeps during the verses were quieter, I would be right with you. sucks me right out of the song

SarahConnor
04-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Seems NIN could've filled the surprise guest slot that Pixies got at Coachella.
Maybe Reznor's holding out for a headlining spot sometime 2016+
Could've been an easy couple weekend's work.
They probably will make that soundtrack in their time off of the road.

Inkė
04-09-2014, 01:26 PM
They should end a show with Hand Covers Bruise/Beside You In Time.

Marty Kirra
04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Wait, what did I miss?

For shits and giggles, Trent should release Strobelight. I'm still rooting for Still Hurts.
On T-Rizzle's twitter before he basically locked it down, he would do ticket giveaways during NIN/JA, kind of like a "hey click this link before other people do and win", sort've thing. Well he would always announce five winners plus Diddy, who won every time. I don't think there was any reason WHY that was, but I thought it was hilarious.

I don't think, in this era of NIN, we'll ever get another joke as aware as "Strobelight" was or anything of that nature, which sucks. That chunk of time I described was probably the most "self-aware" point in NIN history. I mean, come on, he made Meathead's Discipline video official.

mfte
04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
How is it that a guy who is obviously thoughtful and well spoken in interviews SUCH a horrible lyricist?

Marty Kirra
04-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I don't really agree with what you're saying, but being well spoken and song writing are two different skill sets.

Vertigo
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Spend a bit of time listening to your local contemporary pop radio station to redefine your definition of "horrible lyricist".

Sarah K
04-09-2014, 05:08 PM
She got a big booty
so i call her big booty

FULLMETAL
04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
THE RAID 2 was a pretty cool flick and I really enjoyed hearing 13 Ghosts II & 14 Ghosts II inside a theater auditorium. I need to up my audio playback game.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-09-2014, 06:04 PM
She got a big booty
so i call her big booty

Favorite lyrics from "Hurt," hands down.

Kyle
04-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Spend a bit of time listening to your local contemporary pop radio station to redefine your definition of "horrible lyricist".
I wish I was allowed to unlike a post just so I could like this one all over again.

Ryan
04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
How is it that a guy who is obviously thoughtful and well spoken in interviews SUCH a horrible lyricist?

He isn't tho.

pinata89
04-09-2014, 10:23 PM
anyone know what pitches (i'm assuming there are at least two) are in the drone at the start of TDTWWA?

D and a dissonant D (fluctuating below and slightly above the equilibrium of the sound wave...but mostly below and back), simultaneously. Not 100%...just going by what I hear in my head. There might be a slight overtone of a harmonic F(major)...but an octave higher than the drone D (and it might be slightly fluctuating as well...and fluctuating between octaves as well).

Charmingly Miserable
04-09-2014, 11:36 PM
I was thinking about this the other day and remembering the discussion in regards to comparing Tension with LITS. For me, I think LITS was more about the aesthetic theatrics- this is not a diss, just a pure observation. For that era, it worked very well. But for Tension, I think it was about the band. I mean, come on. There were eight, highly talented individuals coming together and making NIN sound completely fresh from what we are accustomed to. So, in summation, there is no comparison between the two tours. I hope Trent is damn proud of the band he assembled for Tension.

butter_hole
04-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Because he knows what works.

Ryan
04-10-2014, 05:48 AM
P.K. Slavery mix of HiS is great.

"Slavery... LISTEN!!!"

"Slavery... SUBMISSION!!!"

"Slavery... LISTEN!!!"

"Slavery... SUBMISSION!!!"

fillow
04-10-2014, 06:25 AM
RAIZING ABOVE THE DEBRl- RAIZING ABOVE THE DEBRI-

mfte
04-10-2014, 08:42 AM

We could have this argument all day. ie. my problems dont matter cause someone else's problems are worse... this song isnt bad cause everything else around it is worse.

I am saying that this guy's lyrics reached the apex of aa bb rhyming in 95 and have been steadily declining into a series of reoccuring words and concepts that could have been created with a nin lyric generator. I just dont understand why a guy who is obviously smart wouldnt try to reach a higher hanging fruit THAT he totally can reach judging from the way he speaks outside of his songs. Is that not a justified random nin thought?

Vertigo
04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
We could have this argument all day. ie. my problems dont matter cause someone else's problems are worse... this song isnt bad cause everything else around it is worse.

Well, yeah. If you were sitting in some war-torn African country surrounded by starving children and complained your day was "horrific" because you could only find non-organic vegetable produce, I'd say you have a talent for exaggeration.

None of the points you mention make Trent a "horrific" songwriter, you wouldn't even have noticed them if there wasn't such a vast catalogue for repetition to be inevitable.

m15a
04-10-2014, 12:05 PM
I just dont understand why a guy who is obviously smart wouldnt try to reach a higher hanging fruit THAT he totally can reach judging from the way he speaks outside of his songs. Is that not a justified random nin thought?

Why should he reach for "higher hanging fruit"? Why should his artistic decisions be made based on his intellectual capacity?

(Agree with your first point.)

BRoswell
04-10-2014, 12:39 PM
I synced up Right Where It Belongs V2 with the album version and the results were pretty interesting. It's like Trent having a duet with himself, and when it gets to the line "And if you look at your reflection, is that all you want it to be?", it's kind of eerie.

fillow
04-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I synced up Right Where It Belongs V2 with the album version and the results were pretty interesting. It's like Trent having a duet with himself, and when it gets to the line "And if you look at your reflection, is that all you want it to be?", it's kind of eerie.
I did this years ago and not just with studio versions, but with BYIT version as well. Sounds really cool.

Charmingly Miserable
04-11-2014, 12:17 AM
I love Josh's rings he wore for Austin City Limits. See Sanctified 2.35 mark.
For anyone interested in the rings he wore, you can find them here (http://bijulesnyc.com/collections). (Yes, I did tweet Josh about it and he was kind enough to reply back).

m15a
04-11-2014, 01:00 AM
For anyone interested in the rings he wore, you can find them here (http://bijulesnyc.com/collections). (Yes, I did tweet Josh about it and he was kind enough to reply back).

I usually have, like, no interest in jewelry, but those are really cool!

eversonpoe
04-11-2014, 01:37 AM

unghhhh i love stuff like that. my friend maggie is a metalsmith and she makes some really cool stuff (https://www.facebook.com/amibedesigns).

mfte
04-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Well, yeah. If you were sitting in some war-torn African country surrounded by starving children and complained your day was "horrific" because you could only find non-organic vegetable produce, I'd say you have a talent for exaggeration.

None of the points you mention make Trent a "horrific" songwriter, you wouldn't even have noticed them if there wasn't such a vast catalogue for repetition to be inevitable.

OK I admit "horrific" was not the right word to use there.

You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile. I also understand that this guy isnt known for his word play. I got into NIN when I was an adolescent and at that time those lyrics spoke to me and still speak to me... maybe my tasted have evolved and I foolishly wish his did too.

The only thing I can really compare my original comment to is when I see actors whose work I dont particularly enjoy doing an interview and their "actual" personality and mannerisms are hell of a lot better than anything they do in the movies.

BenAkenobi
04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
there was a lot of talk about “A warm place” being “Crystal Japan” ripoff.
but what about “Warszawa” for that matter? almost feel like part one/part two to each other

m15a
04-11-2014, 01:06 PM
You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile.

People have been denying that, so this statement is false.

Funny how Trent's lyrics are "regressing" while your tastes are "evolving." I mean, can't you at least be open to a more objective view of the situation?

mfte
04-11-2014, 02:07 PM
People have been denying that, so this statement is false.

Funny how Trent's lyrics are "regressing" while your tastes are "evolving." I mean, can't you at least be open to a more objective view of the situation?

I think that I am being very open and objective to the situation. Ive been a fan for years and many times had to defend nine inch nails' music against my more vanilla peers. Should I have said "maturing" instead of "evolving"?

Is it possible that his older stuff seems to mean more because the first heard it at a time I was young and had a very adversarial view of the world? Maybe. Personally I don't think that's the case because I find new meaning in those dusty jams as I listen to them over the years. I just feel that the newer material's lyrical content recycles old ideas and is vague at best at what it thinks it's about. That is what I mean by "regression". Dude said it himself, copy of a copy.

screwdriver
04-11-2014, 02:15 PM
You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile. I also understand that this guy isnt known for his word play. I got into NIN when I was an adolescent and at that time those lyrics spoke to me and still speak to me... maybe my tasted have evolved and I foolishly wish his did too.

"and when I suck you off not a drop will go to waste
it's really not so bad you know once you get past the taste, yeah"

vs

"I have made a great mistake
Pray The Lord my soul to take
Ghosts of who we used to be
I can feel them come for me"

implanted_microchip
04-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Can we just accept that the dude's lyrics range, just like almost every other musician ever? Some of the things he's written are beautiful and amazing, some are sub-par (and in some opinions embarrassing). Nevertheless as a songwriter he wins out almost every time, and honestly that's almost certainly the biggest reason the majority of NIN fans love NIN in the first place.

tony.parente
04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Can we just accept that the dude's lyrics range, just like almost every other musician ever? Some of the things he's written are beautiful and amazing, some are sub-par (and in some opinions embarrassing). Nevertheless as a songwriter he wins out almost every time, and honestly that's almost certainly the biggest reason the majority of NIN fans love NIN in the first place.

I agree.
Trents lyrics for YEARS have flip flop flip flop flipped.

Frozen Beach
04-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Trent has probably read over the last few posts in this thread, and is now slipping on the tears you've all made him cry.

BRoswell
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Trent's been recycling ideas since Pretty Hate Machine. With the exception of Year Zero and Ghosts I-IV, his music has always been introspective and typically dealing with the same things. He may be repetitive, but he still sounds sincere, and that's what matters to me in the end.

GlitchyFlame
04-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Is it just me, or has this thread turned into Controversial NIN Opinions?

BenAkenobi
04-12-2014, 01:07 AM
because Controversial NIN Opinions turned into contest of puns :(

sheepdean
04-12-2014, 01:34 AM
because Controversial NIN Opinions turned into contest of puns :(
it was a downward spiral

nothing8
04-12-2014, 02:46 AM
I fucking love 'A Warm Place'. I'm so happy I heard it live at the first Sydney show.

Kyle
04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
it was a downward spiral
The thread that you know, it used to have substance.

elevenism
04-12-2014, 10:32 AM
So i saw LITS and it was so fucking awesome, and i REALLY wanted to see tension.
This is the first time i can remember trent not bringing the show to dallas, and he usually brings it to D town TWICE.
And now this 4 piece thing with soundgarden...sigh.

Do you guys think there might be another leg of tension in the fall?

I want to see it, damnit!
Dallas would be great...Tulsa would be even better...that BOK Center, Alrea can attest to this...there aint a bad seat in that motherfucker.

Sarah K
04-12-2014, 11:25 AM
I doubt that there will be anything Tension-like. I'm kinda hoping that he takes a break after the summer... so he doesn't get burned out.

MrSlfDstruct
04-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah, he said in one if his recent interviews (Vive Latino?) that the Tension DVD/Blu-ray release is basically to show that leg or era for people who didn't get to see it. He was mainly referring to other parts of the world but I think he's also saying it ain't happening no mo.

BRoswell
04-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Trent has said on multiple occasions that each leg of touring this time around is going to be different in terms of production and setlists, so I think it's highly unlikely the Tension setup will be making a return.

Kyle
04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
So i saw LITS and it was so fucking awesome, and i REALLY wanted to see tension.
This is the first time i can remember trent not bringing the show to dallas, and he usually brings it to D town TWICE.

Do you guys think there might be another leg of tension in the fall?

I want to see it, damnit!
Dallas would be great...Tulsa would be even better...that BOK Center, @Alrea (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=427) can attest to this...there aint a bad seat in that motherfucker.

4 piece thing with Soundgarden? He hasn't even announced what the European leg of the tour will consist of let alone the one after that so I think it's a bit early to make that claim.

Charmingly Miserable
04-12-2014, 04:18 PM
4 piece thing with Soundgarden? He hasn't even announced what the European leg of the tour will consist of let alone the one after that so I think it's a bit early to make that claim.
I don't know, dude. It is under my impression that T-Rez will continue with Ilan, Ally & Robin for the remainder of all NIN's tour dates. I feel that there will not be a Tension v2.0 nor a change in the lineup.

Saul Williams should guest vocal on every live version of Survivalism.

Sarah K
04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm watching BYIT right now. Seeing Aaron is making me sad. I hope that he gets well. :(

GibbonBlack
04-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm watching BYIT right now. Seeing Aaron is making me sad. I hope that he gets well. :(

I always think that too these days. He was amazing to watch when I saw him with NIN

Kyle
04-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I don't know, dude. It is under my impression that T-Rez will continue with Ilan, Ally & Robin for the remainder of all NIN's tour dates. I feel that there will not be a Tension v2.0 nor a change in the lineup.

Saul Williams should guest vocal on every live version of Survivalism.

Were definitely not getting tension 2.0. Won't argue that. I don't think we're ever getting anything 2.0 since he seems to be all about moving forward. But I'd also be surprised if he doesn't change things up in different ways. I don't expect the four piece NIN to remain. Or at least not in the same way.

fillow
04-13-2014, 03:25 AM
On the next tour, Trent will play drums and Ilan will sing lead vocals. Sean Beavan will also rejoin to sing backing vocals from behind the stage.

Sarah K
04-13-2014, 08:04 AM
I always think that too these days. He was amazing to watch when I saw him with NIN

I prefer Robin as a guitarist. But there is no denying Aaron's talent and showmanship.

I keep hoping for an article about how he was able to get help, and got everything on the rigbt track. :/

neorev
04-13-2014, 02:24 PM

What's wrong with him? I don't know much about the guy. Did enjoy his contribution/style/presence during the With Teeth/Beside You In Time era.

sheepdean
04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
What's wrong with him? I don't know much about the guy. Did enjoy his contribution/style/presence during the With Teeth/Beside You In Time era.
http://www.spin.com/articles/aaron-north-nine-inch-nails-icarus-line/

Endlessly
04-13-2014, 04:10 PM
On the next tour, Trent will play drums and Ilan will sing lead vocals. Sean Beavan will also rejoin to sing backing vocals from behind the stage.

Nah, Trent's gonna find a third instrument to make Ilan play during MotP.

howdidislipinto
04-13-2014, 04:29 PM

I just watched the Chile Lollapalooza video and while some tracks definitely stood out, I too will be pretty bummed if it's just the four-piece band when they come back around North America. I think the pendulum for change (or saving money) swung a bit too far post-Tension. Hopefully it swings back by this summer.

Even if they can't bring the visuals, the ACL show proved that when the band is that strong the visuals aren't even necessary. I hope we get a strong band.

(We'll need it after Soundgarden. :D)

ninlive
04-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Loved his jamming style for "Big Come Down." Love Finck, but Aaron is certainly missed.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Having just finished watching the Brazil show, I won’t really mind if they don’t change the band dynamics up (although Burn really needed another guitar). It’ll still be awesome.

Even this version of Sanctified adds some new and interesting things (Robin’s synth was prominent enough that I can finally tell he’s playing the Sunspots solo — hope you jerks are happy now :p).

Can’t ignore the absence of Sharlotte and Lisa in Sanctified and All Time Low, but is it just my imagination or do Trent’s vocals on Me, I’m Not have some Tension-like stuff going on that weren’t there before? I’ll have to go back to the Reading show to compare…

Charmingly Miserable
04-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Nah, Trent's gonna find a third instrument to make Ilan play during MotP.

The kazoo.

FULLMETAL
04-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Even this version of Sanctified adds some new and interesting things (Robin’s synth was prominent enough that I can finally tell he’s playing the Sunspots solo — hope you jerks are happy now :p).

Actually, Alessandro plays that part.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Actually, Alessandro plays that part.
I would have thought so, but it didn’t look that way in the video. Maybe Robin was doing something else.

TheBang
04-13-2014, 11:32 PM
I would have thought so, but it didn’t look that way in the video. Maybe Robin was doing something else.
It's Ally. Go to 15:30 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHwx7rGtV8

I realize that's during Tension, but the fact that Ally plays it hasn't changed for the latest tour.

FULLMETAL
04-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Ally posted in another forum back in November about how he uses the MS20: Monophonic lines/bass and Arpeggiated midi triggered parts, mostly for songs off the new record (copy of a, running, I would for you, while I'm still here, all time low).
I also use it to play the synth line from "sunspots" in the outro to the reworked version of "sanctified".

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-14-2014, 12:57 AM
I realize that's during Tension, but the fact that Ally plays it hasn't changed for the latest tour.
I had to go back and watch it a couple of times to be sure. Robin was onscreen rocking out on his synth during the solo (which you can also see in the ACL video), but all they showed of Ally was a hand on a knob. Misleading camera work. :p

Funny that I can hear the Sunspots melody in the ACL video now too — it kept blending in with Robin’s part in my head. Visually and aurally, I guess…

Or maybe it was just the change in my medication. o_O

nothing8
04-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Discipline playing while watching the video for Only. I haven't tried it yet, but in my head it feels like it should work.

EDIT: Holy shit, it works. I think it fits pretty well (sort of). I especially like the part where the video syncs up with the "I don't know where I end/and where you begin" line in Discipline. Also the way the song fades out and everything in the video settling down works really well in my opinion.

I did it by playing the video on Youtube and Discipline playing in iTunes, so results may vary depending on how everyone else tries it.

theimage13
04-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't know if this is a thought or a spotting.

Sexyback came on at the gym the other day, and all I could think of is this. Most of you have probably heard this before, but if not, it is a goddamn masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdju3jxEzo

Kyle
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't know if this is a thought or a spotting.

Sexyback came on at the gym the other day, and all I could think of is this. Most of you have probably heard this before, but if not, it is a goddamn masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdju3jxEzo
I tried to bring sexy back but those bastards at Walmart told me I needed a receipt.

theimage13
04-14-2014, 04:57 PM
I tried to bring sexy back but those bastards at Walmart told me I needed a receipt.

Pro tip: Walmart isn't associated with sexy in any way, shape or form. You were trying to bring sexy back to the wrong store. That's why you were having problems.

Kyle
04-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Pro tip: Walmart isn't associated with sexy in any way, shape or form. You were trying to bring sexy back to the wrong store. That's why you were having problems.
That's why I was trying to bring it back.

BRoswell
04-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Should have checked the expiration date on your sexy.

Kyle
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
The expiration date was fine. I was just trying to save some money with the GreatValue brand.

Charmingly Miserable
04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
The expiration date was fine. I was just trying to save some money with the GreatValue brand.
Why you gotta bet cutting cheap on your sexy? You got the Great Value brand! Time to trade up at Target.

Back on topic, 1,000,000 used to be my alarm. Now it's the Becoming.

eversonpoe
04-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Why you gotta bet cutting cheap on your sexy? You got the Great Value brand! Time to trade up at Target.

Back on topic, 1,000,000 used to be my alarm. Now it's the Becoming.

your alarm? like...to wake up in the morning? wow.

i have to wake up to something soothing, so i use this (https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/track/waltz) (which i wrote for a play). but i have, in the past used various telefon tel aviv songs, and "adrift and at peace"

Charmingly Miserable
04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
your alarm? like...to wake up in the morning? wow.

i have to wake up to something soothing, so i use this (https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/track/waltz) (which i wrote for a play). but i have, in the past used various telefon tel aviv songs, and "adrift and at peace"
No, I need something a little more aggressive. Something like, wake the fuck up!!!!!

Kyle
04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
I used to have a snippet of the song "Wake Up" by RATM as my alarm. Specifically the part where he's screaming "WAKE UP!!!"

howdidislipinto
04-15-2014, 01:04 AM
My alarm is Tetsuo. Sounds like a joke, but seriously. I need to be ripped awake, because I can sleep through near anything.

(Luckily this only happens once a week for my early class. 5 times a week would probably get traumatic.)

Ryan
04-15-2014, 01:30 AM
I used to have a snippet of the song "Wake Up" by RATM as my alarm. Specifically the part where he's screaming "WAKE UP!!!"

Haha, I have "Wake Up" by Emigrate (Rammsteni side-project) as mine. It always works.

Case in point (listen to the first 3 seconds...) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5dV3pzG7U

NEVER FAILS!

BenAkenobi
04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
more random than ever
http://chehov-new.ru/image/44444.jpg

wizfan
04-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Let's get it to 999,999!

BRoswell
04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Back on topic, 1,000,000 used to be my alarm.

That used to be my alarm as well. Before that, it was the "buzzsaw" from Gave Up.

r_k_f
04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
track 09 Ghosts I..... I could listen to this on repeat forever..

satin_worship
04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Hey I'm not trying to thread jack, but I'm looking for this old joke image that was referring to NIN's definition of "soon". It had a bar showing a small amount of time and it was for normal people and then a much longer bar and it said something like, "the bleak robot filled future". I know it's kind of random but I can't find it anywhere!

jessamineny
04-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Hey I'm not trying to thread jack, but I'm looking for this old joke image that was referring to NIN's definition of "soon". It had a bar showing a small amount of time and it was for normal people and then a much longer bar and it said something like, "the bleak robot filled future". I know it's kind of random but I can't find it anywhere!
http://i.imgur.com/qAweS7w.gif

satin_worship
04-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Thank you. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Kyle
04-15-2014, 07:08 PM
If it's even tangentially related, you can't hijack a thread called "Random NIN Thoughts."

satin_worship
04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
If it's even tangentially related, you can't hijack a thread called "Random NIN Thoughts."

True enough.

screwdriver
04-15-2014, 10:06 PM
I love the slow burn of NIN albums

on first impression of HM, I wasn't terribly taken with Running

I just listened to it on (and the album) on vinyl for the first time in a bit, and man, that song is pretty rad

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
If I ever figure out what an unrandom NIN thought looks like, I intend to try.

Charmingly Miserable
04-15-2014, 11:41 PM
I was listening to Deep in the car this morning and figured that Lisa and Sharlotte would sound excellent backing it up.

sheepdean
04-15-2014, 11:45 PM
I was listening to Deep in the car this morning and figured that Lisa and Sharlotte would sound excellent backing it up.
They would sound excellent on all tracks. Teach them both synth and make them full time members

Charmingly Miserable
04-15-2014, 11:47 PM
They would sound excellent on all tracks. Teach them both synth and make them full time members
Best idea ever.

Kyle
04-15-2014, 11:52 PM
They can play the tambourine when trent is doing something else.

Charmingly Miserable
04-16-2014, 12:43 AM
They can play the tambourine when trent is doing something else.
Like what? Front a successful "industrial" band? Let him stick to the tambourine! lol

katara
04-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Dude, the tambourine is Trent's MO. Don't fucking touch the tambourine.

sheepdean
04-16-2014, 06:02 AM
If there hasn't been a cover of a nin song done entirely with tambourines, I'm happy to form the tribute band right now

Kyle
04-16-2014, 07:06 AM
If there hasn't been a cover of a nin song done entirely with tambourines, I'm happy to form the tribute band right now
I'm in. I'll play the tambourine. I can also shout out an occasional "hey."

implanted_microchip
04-16-2014, 01:20 PM
The opening drum track of Everything is damn near spot-on the same as the drum track from New Life, the first track of the first Depeche Mode album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_yPwdBBCwU

r_k_f
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
The opening drum track of Everything is damn near spot-on the same as the drum track from New Life, the first track of the first Depeche Mode album:

Nice find, now what's the guitar from, cause i'm almost positive I've heard it before... or is it just that it has that "The Cure Sound"?

ecirb
04-16-2014, 03:09 PM

That is a better similarity than the beginning of Capital G sounding nearly identical to Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel"

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Dead Souls is a great song for the Infinite Jukebox (http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TROPUSK13C6ADDE497).

Kyle
04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Dead Souls is a great song for the Infinite Jukebox (http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TROPUSK13C6ADDE497).
Damn. How many times does he have to say they keep calling him. Just get on the no-call list already.

Kyle
04-17-2014, 09:46 PM
If you put The Becoming in that thing it's very hard to escape the acoustic part of the song.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-17-2014, 10:51 PM
I tried La Mer and ATLITW, but they change so much over the course of the song that you just have little islands of repeatable bits and then the song is over. Not terribly interesting.

Discipline is a good fit.

Khrz
04-18-2014, 03:08 AM
I'm in. I'll play the tambourine. I can also shout out an occasional "hey."

If the tambourine is already taken, I'll play the tambourine then. I can also throw in the random "aw/oh" !

r_k_f
04-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Reptilian followed by The Great Destroyer is a fantastic pairing in a playlist.... Just sayin'

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-19-2014, 07:13 PM
So I'm reading an article about clones, and I see the phrase "a copy of a copy" and the Grammy version of Copy of A starts playing in my head. Then I finish that story and start reading about a "sun-like star" just as the transition to my My God is the Sun happens.

And then I'm here posting this. True story! ;)

If the tambourine is already taken, I'll play the tambourine then. I can also throw in the random "aw/oh" !
Now, wait — it wouldn't be a proper NIN cover band unless everyone is a multi-instrumentalist. You have to know how to play tambourine and tambourine. Bonus points if you can do stand-up bass tambourine, swarm tambourine, or even modular analog tambourine.

And someone has to play acoustic tambourine on Hurt, naturally.

botley
04-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I will play a cassette tape for each song that has four different tracks of tambourine on it.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-19-2014, 08:55 PM
I have to admit I'd really like to hear an all-tambourine version of TBC.

Kyle
04-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Can we do a 90s era nin cover band so I can smash some tambourines?

nooneimportant
04-21-2014, 05:08 AM
I have a bass and basically really suck at playing it. However, earlier today I managed to play the bassline to the current version of Sanctified. Such a cool groove.

eversonpoe
04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
I have a bass and basically really suck at playing it. However, earlier today I managed to play the bassline to the current version of Sanctified. Such a cool groove.

now you can also play discipline (since it's the same notes but a slightly different rhythm)!

ghostaustin
04-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Reptilian followed by The Great Destroyer is a fantastic pairing in a playlist.... Just sayin'

I like it. It makes the pace of Great Destroyer seem faster by comparison.

MAD
04-21-2014, 03:11 PM
I just finished my first remix.

Nine Inch Nails - The Warning (MAD Remix)

https://soundcloud.com/mad623/nine-inch-nails-the-warning-mad-remix

GibbonBlack
04-21-2014, 08:28 PM
the sound that plays when you die in Abe's Oddysee kinda sounds like the drums at the start of Love Is Not Enough

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Since no one has proposed a name for the all tambourine NIN tribute band yet: Pretty Tambourine Machine. It writes itself!

… Fuck, now I really wanna hear the tambourine version of Wish.

m15a
04-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Since no one has proposed a name for the all tambourine NIN tribute band yet: Pretty Tambourine Machine. It writes itself!

I was thinking Slam Tambourine, but I figured that was too obscure to be worth posting.

implanted_microchip
04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

… Fuck, now I really wanna hear the tambourine version of Wish.

Or:

Broken Tambourine

Happiness In Tambourines

Tambourine (You're So)

The Downward Tambourine

The Tambourine Below

Mr. Tambourine Destruct

All the Tambourine In the World

Beside Tambourine In Time

Tambourine Where It Belongs (In My Hands Remix)

God Given Tambourine Skills

Tambourines In the Sky

Various Methods of Tambourines

All Time Tambourine

Ryan
04-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Wow I hadn't noticed that until now and I'm a massive DM fan!

And yes, the guitars are very Cure-like. They remind me of something from the Kiss Me or Wish era.

Charmingly Miserable
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
I know they are both different animals, but The Great Destroyer (Modwheelmood Remix) > studio version.

Kyle
04-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I was thinking Slam Tambourine, but I figured that was too obscure to be worth posting.
In this group, I don't think anything qualifies as too obscure.

icecream
04-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Or:

Broken Tambourine

Happiness In Tambourines

Tambourine (You're So)

The Downward Tambourine

The Tambourine Below

Mr. Tambourine Destruct

All the Tambourine In the World

Beside Tambourine In Time

Tambourine Where It Belongs (In My Hands Remix)

God Given Tambourine Skills

Tambourines In the Sky

Various Methods of Tambourines

All Time Tambourine
Terrible Tambourine
I Would for Tambourine
The Only Tambourine
The Big Tambourine

I wonder if Trent lurks here and hates NIN fans?

Ryan
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm Looking Forward To Tambourineing You, Finally

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Further Down the Tambourine

Tambourines Falling Apart

With Tambourine

Tambourine Zero

Tambourine Marks

I wonder if Trent lurks here and hates NIN fans?
Don't we all?

Charmingly Miserable
04-21-2014, 10:41 PM
The March of the Tambourines
I Do Not Want This Tambourine
Big Man With a Tambourine
The Hand That Tambourines

I think I could go on an on, but I'll stop.

Kyle
04-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I want to fuck you like a tambourine.

Kyle
04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Tambourine is enough

Ryan
04-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Ya'll need to check the "Dreams with Trent/NIN in them" thread and what I just posted. It was seriously the best dream ever.

BRoswell
04-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Listening to the newly released recording of The Riviera show, and I thought Trent's intro to Down In It was hilarious.

"Don't be afraid. This is one of your old favorites. And yes, it's about sucking dick."

Charmingly Miserable
04-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Listening to the newly released recording of The Riviera show, and I thought Trent's intro to Down In It was hilarious.

Did I miss something here?

BRoswell
04-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Did I miss something here?

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/1994/19940507.html

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
The March of the Tambourines
I Do Not Want This Tambourine
Big Man With a Tambourine

I think I could go on an on, but I'll stop.
Stop? But why?

This has to happen if only because Every Tambourine Sounds Exactly the Same would be a perfect album title.

Ryan
04-22-2014, 12:21 AM
10 Miles Tambourine

Kyle
04-22-2014, 12:24 AM
A Warm Tambourine
The Eater of Tambourines

Ryan
04-22-2014, 12:40 AM
The Four of us are Tambourines

Kyle
04-22-2014, 01:09 AM
16 Tambourines II

ophelia_
04-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Me, I'm Tambourine
We're In This Tambourine
The Day the Tambourine Went Away
Help Me I Am In Tambourine
Happiness in Tambourine
Tambourines, Inc
Tambourine I Can Never Have

... I'm going to stop now.

BRoswell
04-22-2014, 01:26 AM
Kinda I Want Tambourine

Ryan
04-22-2014, 01:38 AM
Complications of the Tambourine

Kyle
04-22-2014, 01:44 AM
The Theme to Tetsuo: The Tambourine Man.

BRoswell
04-22-2014, 01:59 AM
Eventually We Find Our Tambourine (Okay, I cheated since that's a Trent and Atticus track.)

Side note: has anyone else in their spare time thrown together their own edits of tracks? I'm not talking about full remixes, but more like radio edits where they might cut out the "slow" middle portion to shorten the song and make it faster, or splicing different versions of a track that you might like to create your ultimate version of a track? So far I've done radio edit-like versions of In Two (cut from 5:32 to 3:07) and And All That Could Have Been (cut from 6:15 to 3:51) and I'm probably going to do a few more. It's interesting to cut some of these songs down to their bare essentials and see that they still work in a way.

Ryan
04-22-2014, 02:02 AM
Please Take Your Tambourine Away

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-22-2014, 02:48 AM
TAMBOURINEPOWER!

Another Tambourine of the Truth

Kyle
04-22-2014, 02:59 AM
Corona Tambourinata

katara
04-22-2014, 03:30 AM
Pretty Tambourine Machine

Head Like A Tambourine
Terrible Tambourine
Tambourine In It
Tambourinified
Something Tambourines Can Never Have
Kinda I Want Tambourine
Sinbourine
That's What I Tambourine
The Only Tambourine
Tambouringfinger

Get Down Make Tambourine
Tambourine Feeling
Maybe Just Tambourine

Broken Tambourine

Tambourinion
Wish For Tambourines
The Last Tambourine
Help Me I Am In Tambourine
Happiness In Tambourine
Gave Up Tambourine
Physical (you're so tambourine)
Tambourine Suck

Now I'm Tambourine
Throw This Tambourine Away
Tambourine Fuck
Screaming Tambourine

The Tambourine Spiral

Mr Tambourine Man (feat. Bob Dylan)
Tambouriggy
Tambourine Heretic
March Of The Tambourines
Closer To Tambourines
Ruiner Of Tambourines
Becoming Tambourine
I Do Not Want Tambourine
Big Man With A Tambourine
A Tambourine Place
Tambourine Eraser
Reptambourine
The Tambourine Spiral
Hurt By Tambourines

Dead Tambourines
Burnt Tambourine
Tambourinian
All The Tambourines, All Lined Up
A Violet Tambourine
Underneath the Tambourine
Memoratambourinia
The Art Of Tambourine Destruction
At The Heart Of The Tambourine
The Beauty Of Being Tambourine
Tambourined, Over, Out

Tambourines; Questions
Driver Tambourine

The Tambourine

Somewhat Tambourined
The Day The Tambourine Went Away
The Tambourinial
The Wretched Tambourine
We're In This Tambourine
The Tambourine
Just Like Tambourines Imagined
Even Tambourinier
Tambourine Pilgrimage
No, You Tambourine
La Tambourine
The Great Tambourine

The Way Out Is Tambourine
Into The Tambourine
Where Is Tambourine?
The Tambourine Has Been Made
Tambourine, Please
Tambourines, Inc
Complitambourinication
I'm Looking Forward To Joining Tambourines, Finally
The Tambourine Come Down
Tambourine It All
Ripe (with tambourine)

10 Tambourines High
The New Tambourine
Complications of the Tambourine
The Perfect Tambourine
Tambourining Away
The Tambourine Collapse
Tambourines, Inc (tambourine)
Metal Tambourine
Tamboureep

Tambourining And At Peace
Tombourining, Still
And All The Tambourines That Could Have Been
The Persistence Of Tambourines
Tambourines Leaving Hope

[WITH_TAMBOURINE]

All The Tambourines In The World
You Know What You Tambourine?
The Tambourine Collector
Love Is Not Tambourine
Every Tambourine Is Exactly The Same
With Tambourine
Only Tambourine
Getting Smaller Tambourines
Tambourinespots
The Tambourine Begins To Blur
Beside You In Tambourine
Right Where Tambourine Belongs

Tambourine At Home
Not So Tambourine Now
Non-Tambourine

Year Tambourine

Hypertambourine!
The Beginning of the Tambourine
Tambourininism
The Good Tambourine
Tambouressel
Me, I'm Tambourine
Capital T
My Violent Tambourine
Warning: Tambourine
Tambourine Given
Meet Your Tambourine
The Greater Tambourine
The Tambourine Destroyer
Another Version of the Tambourine
In Tambourine Twilight
Tambourine-Sum

Tambourines By Computer

Tambourines I-IV

1 Tambourines I
2 Tambourines I
(etc)

The Tambourine Slip

Tambourinetambourinetambourine,tambourinetambourin etambourine
1,000,000 Tambourines
Letting You Tambourine
Tambourine Discipline
Echotambourine
Tambourine Down
Tambourines In The Sky
Corona Tambourata
The Four Of Us Are Tambourining
Demon Tambourine

Strobe Tambourine

Intro Tambourine
Everybody's Doing Tambourine (featuring Chris Martin, Jay-Z AND Bono)
Tambourine T-Shirt
Tambourinegrinder (featuring Sheryl Crow)
Tambourine On The Dancefloor
This Tambourine Is Infected
Slide To The Tambourine Side
Even Closer To Tambourines (featuring Justin Timberlake and Maynard James Keenan)
On The Tambourine (she's not)
Clap Tambou Crack Rine
Laid, Paid And Tambourined (featuring Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas and Al Jourgensen)
Feel Like Being Tambourined Again
Still Hurt By Tambourines (featuring Alicia Keys)
Outro Tambourine

Tambourine Station
Tetsuo, The Tambourine Man (feat. William Shatner)

The Tambourine Network

Hand Covers Tambourine
Tambourine In Motion
A Tambourine Taste
It Catches Up With Your Tambourine
Intriguing Tambourines
Painted Tambourine In Abstract
3:14 Tambourine Night
Tambourines Form The Whole
Tambourine Prevails
Eventually We Find Our Tambourines
Tambouration
In The Hall Of The Tambourine
On We March With Tambourines
Tambouretic
Almost Tambourine
Hand Covers Tambourine, Reprise
Complicated Tambourine With Optimistic Tambourine
The Gentle Hum Of Tambourines
Soft Tambourines Break The Fall

The Girl With The Tambourine Tattoo

Immigrant Tambourine
She Reminds Me Of Tambourines
People Tambourine All The Time
Pinned And Tambourined
Peritambourinion
What If We Could Tambourine?
With The Tambourines
Hidden In Tambourines
A Thousand Tambourines
One Tambourine Moment
I Can't Take Tambourines Anymore
How Brittle The Tambourines
Please Take Your Tambourine Away

Cut Into Tambourines
The Splintered Tambourine
An Itchy Tambourine
Tambourinemania
Under The Midnight Tambourine
Aphetambourineion
Tambourines Are Here
The Same As The Other Tambourines
A Pause For Tambourine
While Tambourining
The Tambourines Drag
Later Into Tambourine Night
Parallel Tambourine With Alternate Outcome

Another Way Of Tambourining
A Viable Tambourine
Revealed In The Tambourine
Tambourinnia
We Could Tambourine Forever
Tambourinum
Great Tambourine Of Prey
The Tambourines
A Pair Of Tambourines
Tambourinor
The Sound Of Tambourines
Of Tambourines
Is Your Tambourine Strong Enough? (How To Destroy Tambourines)

How To Destroy Tambourines

The Tambourine In Between
Parasitical Tambourine
Tambourine-Lined
TTT
The Tambouriners
A Tambourining

Welcome Tambourine

The Tambourine-Up
Keep Tambourines Together
And The Sky Began To Tambourine
Welcome Tambourine
Tambourine Age
On The Tambourine
Too Late, All Tambourine
How Tambourine?
Tambourines And Attractors
We Tambourine Away
Recursive Self-Tambourining
The Loop Tambourines
Hallowed Tambourine

The Tambourine Of Fear
Unintended Tambourines
The Sleep Of Reason Produces Tambourines
Speaking In Tambourines

Tambourine Marks

The Eater Of Tambourines
Copy Of T
Came Back Tambourined
Find My Tambourine
All Tambourine Low
Disappointing Tambourine
Every Tambouriney Thing
Tambourine Satellite
Various Methods Of Tambourine
Running With Tambourines
I Would For Tambourine
In Two Tambourines
While My Tambourine's Still Here
Black Tambourine

Ryan
04-22-2014, 06:14 AM
I want to like and facepalm the above post at the same time.

ethan829
04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
"The Eater of Tambourines" is some comedy gold, god damn.

katara
04-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Edited the above post to include soundtracks, Still, HTDA, and William Shatner! :)

nooneimportant
04-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Pinion being Tamburinion is incredible. Imagine it as just Pinion but wiht really loud, distorted tambourine.

Kinda like how I made a World Cup 2010 version of Pinion with Vuvuzela. [cheap plug]go find it on remix.nin.com[/cheap plug]

fillow
04-22-2014, 08:27 AM
'tambourine' -> 'bagpipe' wordfilter please.

GibbonBlack
04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Beating A Dead Tambourine :o

thevoid99
04-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Tambourinefuckers (Mega-Tambourine Remix)

GrayscaleRain
04-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Pinion being Tamburinion is incredible. Imagine it as just Pinion but wiht really loud, distorted tambourine.

Kinda like how I made a World Cup 2010 version of Pinion with Vuvuzela. [cheap plug]go find it on remix.nin.com[/cheap plug]

*chicka-chicka* *chicka-chicka* *chicka-chicka* *chicka-chicka*

opal
04-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Just Tambourine It (Unreleased)

Sarah K
04-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Tambourine Bomb(Obviously written by Trent Reznor)

Ryan
04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Please (+ Tambourine)

Ryan
04-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Random thought: I used to get so sick of "No, You Don't" in set lists, but now I miss it. Same with "Suck".

I don't give a shit about "Burn" though, still sick of that live.

Ryan
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
1:44 - 1:46 of Sin from AATCHB (I have the DVD audio ripped, so I'm referring to that time of the mp3), I love the little fart noise that kicks in after Trent says "You give me the anger".... *brrrp*...

FULLMETAL
04-23-2014, 01:16 AM
Can't believe Harv missed on NIN.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiZDMgLCYAAKth3.jpg

icecream
04-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Lover boy haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaah

botley
04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Amount of pussy for dudes singing Loverboy karaoke >>>>>>>

BrownEyedStatistic
04-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Trent as a redhead...
You know, carrot top red...
Or what about Trent in stripes?
What about Trent with silver hair?

It's fun to imagine with something unusual...

Oh man, what if Robin had an afro?!
LEGENDARY!!!!!

implanted_microchip
04-23-2014, 06:29 PM
NIN should cover How Soon Is Now? simply for the title

Charmingly Miserable
04-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I love our how sad little downward tambourine spiral has become, my sweetest friend.

eversonpoe
04-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Trent as a redhead...
You know, carrot top red...
Or what about Trent in stripes?
What about Trent with silver hair?

It's fun to imagine with something unusual...

Oh man, what if Robin had an afro?!
LEGENDARY!!!!!

isn't trent naturally a bit of a ginger?

Ryan
04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
He has no soul!

Kyle
04-24-2014, 12:36 AM
He has no soul!
Just this big fucking hole.

imail724
04-24-2014, 12:47 AM
NIN should cover How Soon Is Now? simply for the title

If nin covered any smiths/Morrissey song I would explode with joy

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Just this big fucking hole.
But not a a head like a hole (I assume black would be the color if it had hair).

fortheloveofgod
04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Learned something new today. The downward spiral and superunknown were released on the same day. Hence to say I only cared about TDS 20 years ago.

pinata89
04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Learned something new today. The downward spiral and superunknown were released on the same day. Hence to say I only cared about TDS 20 years ago.

Yeah, I feel like (in part) that is why they have decided to tour together this summer.

fortheloveofgod
04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Yeah definitely. Was reading the new article on Loudwire.

Sarah K
04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
I've never been able to listen to The Fragile front to back. I just can't handle it, and I get super distracted.

Like once a month, I try to force myself to do it. I'm about to try again.

implanted_microchip
04-24-2014, 02:30 PM
I've never been able to listen to The Fragile front to back. I just can't handle it, and I get super distracted.

Maybe try is as separate albums/companion pieces? Listening to just Left or just Right actually works really well, and TR has even said that he might've done just that in retrospect. Sometimes I just don't have time for both, and even though it definitely flows great as a response to The Great Below, The Way Out Is Through is also a great opener on its own feet.

Sarah K
04-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Uuuuugh. I got about 15 seconds into Pilgrimage and had to use the skip button. I absolutely cannot listen to that song, no matter how much I try to force it upon myself.

Vertigo
04-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Try to imagine you're a fascist dictator when you get to Pilgrimage. That's the trick to it.

As for the full Fragile, I used to listen to it as a 3-hour monstrosity combining material from Still, Things Falling Apart and the two separate singles. If I was smooth-jawed when starting the playlist, I'd be a stubbly mess by the end.
To be fair, it does work better with those quieter, trippier or radio-friendlier interludes in my opinion.

Sarah K
04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
I got to Starfuckers and gave up. My brain just can't pay attention for that long.

However, I believe that this is a new record.

Conan The Barbarian
04-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I wish Google play would update the cover photo of the band from the with teeth era to the more recent lineup.

Inkė
04-25-2014, 08:06 AM
I can't help but think that Trent's theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man stands among is best tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

ghostaustin
04-25-2014, 08:49 AM

I've listened to the whole thing a handful of times. The last time was on a long drive in the middle of winter with just enough time to get through both sides with a few Still tracks tacked on at the end. My initially poor mood combined with the consistent grey landscape and my capacity at the time to reeeally relate to the introspection and isolation in the lyrics caused me to be a miserable wreck by the end of it, even with the playlist ending with The Perfect Drug. I don't think it's meant to be listened to front to back and, even though it wasn't my intention to let it put me in a better mood, it's definitely not meant to make you feel uplifted by the end.

Anything post Fragile, however, I could listen to all day. Probably because TR was much less likely to blow his brains after the Fragile tour/rehab and it shows in the music.

WorzelG
04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I got to Starfuckers and gave up. My brain just can't pay attention for that long.

But then you miss two of the best tracks, The Big Come Down and ILFTJYF

buckaroo
04-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I can't help but think that Trent's theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man stands among is best tracks.

This. I love this track. I would love an album or soundtrack of more "industrial" instrumental nin.

sheepdean
04-25-2014, 10:39 AM
This. I love this track. I would love an album or soundtrack of more "industrial" instrumental nin.
Ghosts V-VIII: A Soundtrack to daydreams about being turned into a killer gun metal robot android

BrownEyedStatistic
04-25-2014, 11:36 AM
There is so much stuff Trent has made that I've never even heard. :D

buckaroo
04-25-2014, 12:26 PM

If you haven't heard it go listen to Trent's remix of Growing Up by Peter Gabriel. The best remix he has ever done and one of my all time favorite tracks he has been involved in.

Charmingly Miserable
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Ghosts V-VIII: A Soundtrack to daydreams about being turned into a killer gun metal robot android
Prelude: 32 Ghosts IV

sheepdean
04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
http://www.ninwiki.com/Category:NIN_Songs (especially http://www.ninwiki.com/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs ) and http://www.ninwiki.com/Trent_Reznor#Body_Of_Work should cover you

BenAkenobi
04-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Speaking of Ghosts, it had the slogan: a soundtrack for daydreams.
Later a few tracks appeared in The social network, therefore that movie = daydream, right?

BrownEyedStatistic
04-25-2014, 09:20 PM
I've confused David Bowie with Billy Idol once. :X

Charmingly Miserable
04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I bet, in 15 years, Trent will put out a NIN & Friends album, retooling classic NIN songs with the help of others: Maynard, Tori, the ghost of Johnny Cash, Kanye, and the dudes from Biffy Clyro (just for the fuck of it). Would you buy it?

Piko
04-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Nine Inch Nails and the Co-Conspirators

BenAkenobi
04-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Would you buy it?

If it'll feature tambourine, then no, it can go f☺ck itself

Charmingly Miserable
04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Josh Freese lives about a mile from me.

GlitchyFlame
04-27-2014, 03:17 PM
While I do adore Things Falling Apart, I do think that it could have been a little better. I don't like any of the Starfuckers remixes, so throw those out, but I love La Mer (Version) and it would have been great if it was actually thrown onto the album instead of having it just as a web exclusive. I also think that The Frail (Version) should have been put at the end of the album. The mechanical fizzle at the end of the song would have been a perfect ending for the album. This is my ideal track listing;

Slipping Away
The Great Collapse
The Wretched (Version)
Where is Everybody? (Version)
La Mer (Version)
Metal
10 Miles High
The Frail (Version)

icecream
04-27-2014, 10:12 PM
The thought of a Trez and St. Vincent collaboration makes me feel funny in my pants.

wizfan
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm joining the Year Zero multitracks with Audacity. The joined tracks are much quieter and more dynamic than the CD counterparts (for example, the percussion track in God Given is much more balanced and not drowned by the synths in the chorus), probably because they were made before the final CD mastering (where a lot of compression took place). Here's a funny thing, though: while the YZ and Slip multitracks sound pretty much like the CD versions, the Ghosts multitracks sound a bit different (some instruments sound much louder). My guess is, they are the un-mixed versions.

implanted_microchip
04-28-2014, 10:12 AM
So I'm listening to NIN for the first time on vinyl, on an entry-level setup with no real bells and whistles or much to be proud of, and Hesitation Marks sounds noticeably better already. I cannot wait to hear what Black Noise is like, and once I've upgraded a bit with my system, too. Maybe I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid, but this really does feel like an improvement.

mfte
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Listening to the Fragile it's funny that the parts I hate in 1999 are the ones I most love now. Like that ukulele in Where is everybody? or the trashcan percussion in Looking forward...

also... it took me 20 years to hear the hiss from the low sample rate of that looping sound in the intro/verses of Ruiner.

Marty Kirra
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
So I'm watching Beside You In Time for the first time, and holy shit is the band active! Seeing Alessandro jumping around is definitely a departure from the stoic dude I see today, some exciting stuff!

seasonsinthesky
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm joining the Year Zero multitracks with Audacity. The joined tracks are much quieter and more dynamic than the CD counterparts (for example, the percussion track in God Given is much more balanced and not drowned by the synths in the chorus), probably because they were made before the final CD mastering (where a lot of compression took place). Here's a funny thing, though: while the YZ and Slip multitracks sound pretty much like the CD versions, the Ghosts multitracks sound a bit different (some instruments sound much louder). My guess is, they are the un-mixed versions.

indeed, they must have been mored pressed for time (or lazier) when exporting the Ghosts multitracks. they're either the originally recorded volumes or someone normalized every track. kinda sucks (especially since we can't be sure of the proper levels for 37 and 38).

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-28-2014, 09:41 PM

Skipping Starfuckers doesn't hurt the album one bit, and may be downright useful if you have trouble getting through the whole album.

I'm still trying to work out the musical connections between Left and Right, so listening straight through is helpful. But the sheer quantity does get overwhelming — I'm usually pretty exhausted by the end.

So I'm watching Beside You In Time for the first time, and holy shit is the band active! Seeing Alessandro jumping around is definitely a departure from the stoic dude I see today, some exciting stuff!
I had the same reaction. :)

Kyle
04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Just wondering.... have you seen Closure? Or much else from that era?

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-28-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know about Marty, but my reaction was more along the lines of "holy shit was the band active in 2006."

gorast
04-28-2014, 11:58 PM
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/Somedude179/nin1k.png
That's from six months of last.fm tracking my listening. By comparison, Bruce Springsteen is in a distant 2nd with 286 plays. Also, Copy of a constitutes nearly a tenth of that 1,000.

I have a feeling that my last.fm statistics are paltry compared to most other people, but I'm not sure. I just don't have music playing 24/7.

BrownEyedStatistic
04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Sometimes I listen to NIN so much that if I go and listen to another, like Massive Attack, I'll automatically start thinking that my speakers are broken, because the loudness and intensity is radically different.

--wait...no....
my headphones!
Aww shit....

wizfan
04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Sometimes I listen to NIN so much that if I go and listen to another, like Massive Attack, I'll automatically start thinking that my speakers are broken, because the loudness and intensity is radically different.

--wait...no....
my headphones!
Aww shit....

Try using ReplayGain (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain) to even them out.

NINisamazing
04-30-2014, 12:47 AM
The thought of a Trez and St. Vincent collaboration makes me feel funny in my pants.

Is this something that has been discussed? (sorry I haven't been paying attention)

NINisamazing
04-30-2014, 12:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMVxGYZG-9o

I know he has been doing this for almost year, but this is amazing.

Ryan
04-30-2014, 01:04 AM
I know he has been doing this for almost year, but this is amazing.

That's 'cause NINisamazing.

Kyle
04-30-2014, 01:12 AM
That's 'cause NINisamazing.

http://youtu.be/UGrTGCacG2E

icecream
04-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Is this something that has been discussed? (sorry I haven't been paying attention)
No, I was just listening to Strange Mercy the other day and thought of it. I wish though.

MAD
04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
I just did these two.

http://youtu.be/bwAzkhlqM6I

http://youtu.be/7Tje10TT6C4

BenAkenobi
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
DISLIKING the image of trent's face on rey's body there ^

Halo Infinity
04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
I haven't been listening to Ghosts I-IV for quite a while, but after listening to it gradually over and over again this year, it's started to grow on me a lot more than it ever did back in 2008-2010.

implanted_microchip
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
I haven't been listening to Ghosts I-IV for quite a while, but after listening to it gradually over and over again this year, it's started to grow on me a lot more than it ever did back in 2008-2010.

Ghosts has always been such a mood-thing for me. When I'm in the right frame of mind, it very quickly re-becomes a favorite album of mine, but if I'm not feeling a certain way (and I still don't know what mood it is, it just sort of clicks from time to time) it's really really uninteresting to me. 1, 28 and 36 have always stood out to me though.

Halo Infinity
04-30-2014, 05:24 PM
What you just said is my approach to just about most of my interests in general. It's made me very selective and admittedly limited, and sometimes very slow to get into things, however, most of Nine Inch Nails albums and songs have just clicked with me for some reason, and really got me to appreciate listening to full albums even more than I did before I got into Nine Inch Nails.

I'm glad you've understood and put it into words better than I did, because Ghosts I-IV took the longest to click with me, even if I already had a few favorite tracks from it upon my first few listens. I kind of still wished that there was more of that And All That Could Have Been (Still) sound there though, but at the same time, I accept and appreciate it for what it is altogether.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-30-2014, 06:58 PM
People may snark about TR's lyric writing, but The Wretched is one of many songs I'll never get tired of.

Ryan
04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
stuckinthisholewiththeshitandthepissanditshardtobe lieveitcouldcomedowntothis

Charmingly Miserable
04-30-2014, 10:45 PM
I trip out every time I see the Nightly News' logo on NBC. It looks like it says NIN.

Halo Infinity
05-01-2014, 12:25 PM
People may snark about TR's lyric writing, but The Wretched is one of many songs I'll never get tired of.
I've always found The Wretched to be one of the best songs from the Left CD of The Fragile, and I also have a habit of slowly increasing the volume around the 3:10 to 3:58 marks of it.

r_k_f
05-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I forgot how good the Call Of Duty Black Ops II Theme that Trent did is.... especially the Orchestral Mix.

Charmingly Miserable
05-01-2014, 01:22 PM

The live version is in my top 5 (if not the best) live NIN songs. Just seeing Josh played the drums during the WT era sent me chills and solidified that NIN is probably he best live band out there.

Halo Infinity
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
There's several Nine Inch Nails songs that I can relate to a lot more now than I did when I was younger, but if I were to narrow them down to just a few songs, I'd say that Down In It, Gave Up, Hurt, and Every Day Is Exactly The Same have been really hitting home for me as of late.

GlitchyFlame
05-02-2014, 05:33 PM
While I do prefer the finished version of Ruiner, I wish that it was bass heavy like the demo version was. It was so fucking meaty.

Ryan
05-02-2014, 05:52 PM
While I do prefer the finished version of Ruiner, I wish that it was bass heavy like the demo version was. It was so fucking meaty.

Where is this demo version of which thou speak?

GlitchyFlame
05-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Where is this demo version of which thou speak?
Well, a bunch of TDS extras were put on the second CD of the Deluxe edition from 2004, and some of those extras were demos. Here's the Ruiner demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63nXJJhwg

Ryan
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Oh, duh. I completely forgot that was on there.

Halo Infinity
05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
With Teeth really was the first Nine Inch Nails album I've actually waited for since I became a fan in late 2002. This teaser kept playing in my mind over and over again as I was on my way to buy it at what used to be my local FYE at the time back in 2005. To think that it'll be only one more year to go before it turns 10 already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPvAXYRyhLM

Anyway, with that being said, it was such a great year for me as new fan, as I was incredibly stoked, and I also got to see my first NIN concert that year too. :D

pigpen
05-02-2014, 08:19 PM
With Teeth really was the first Nine Inch Nails album I've actually waited for since I became a fan in late 2002. This teaser kept playing in my mind over and over again as I was on my way to buy it at what used to be my local FYE at the time back in 2005. To think that it'll be only one more year to go before it turns 10 already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPvAXYRyhLM

Anyway, with that being said, it was such a great year for me as new fan, as I was incredibly stoked, and I also got to see my first NIN concert that year too. :D
IMO That was that last truly great era for Nine Inch Nails. You became a fan just in time!

GibbonBlack
05-02-2014, 08:46 PM

change 2002 to 2001 and we have almost the same story

nooneimportant
05-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately, I became a fan in 2008 and the next year NIN went on major hiatus. Needless to say, the past year has been a really exciting time to be a fan.

sick among the pure
05-03-2014, 02:13 AM
change 2002 to 2001 and we have almost the same story
Same here, though I didn't get really into NIN until 02. I remember being so pissed after watching AATCHB and knowing that they played an hour away from me for that tour, and they basically didn't exist anymore (so many rumors flying around in that time period). And then nin.com started being active again. And talk of recording a new album. And the subtile changes to the site, and hidden teasers, and then suddenly THTF was on TV and there was an album coning out that I could go to the store the day it came out and listen to it, and a tour and I could finally actually see NIN live and I was so fucking excited. It was a fucking GREAT time to be a fan, having those few years to build up a love for what had already come out, and kind of "catch up".
I can't even imagine how many times, in a fucking row, I watched that teaser. And then the others, as they slowly popped up. I do kinda miss that, though. Last time there was any kind of slow, beautiful buildup was YZ. A slight website change. A cryptic photo. 15-30 seconds of an indistinguishable bit of music. Just little tastes of what was coming.

They never did play Buffalo again, though.

theimage13
05-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Same here, though I didn't get really into NIN until 02. I remember being so pissed after watching AATCHB and knowing that they played an hour away from me for that tour, and they basically didn't exist anymore (so many rumors flying around in that time period). And then nin.com started being active again. And talk of recording a new album. And the subtile changes to the site, and hidden teasers, and then suddenly THTF was on TV and there was an album coning out that I could go to the store the day it came out and listen to it, and a tour and I could finally actually see NIN live and I was so fucking excited. It was a fucking GREAT time to be a fan, having those few years to build up a love for what had already come out, and kind of "catch up".
I can't even imagine how many times, in a fucking row, I watched that teaser. And then the others, as they slowly popped up. I do kinda miss that, though. Last time there was any kind of slow, beautiful buildup was YZ. A slight website change. A cryptic photo. 15-30 seconds of an indistinguishable bit of music. Just little tastes of what was coming.

They never did play Buffalo again, though.

Guess you know how I feel. I got hooked at an extremely young age (single digits), and they played in my home town when I was nine years old. With Marilyn Manson opening. Two of my absolute favorite bands at the time, and both were putting on amazing shows in that era.

Except...being nine years old and all, I couldn't go.

Now? I'll still see NIN any time I get the chance. Manson? Please. I finally saw him in 2000, and even then, I was disappointed in his live abilities.

Halo Infinity
05-03-2014, 02:12 PM
IMO That was that last truly great era for Nine Inch Nails. You became a fan just in time!
Especially for Echoing the Sound, but I didn't join it until 2004. I also kept checking out The NIN Hotline regularly, thanks to The Meathead Perspective, and all the hype during 2003-2004. He certainly called it though, as I mistakenly thought that there was going to be a NIN album released in 2004 at the time.

icecream
05-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Got into them during the hype for WT.
A question for the people who saw them during The Fragile era: how were the live shows? It was when Trent was at his worst, so he says. Was he fucked up all the time on stage, forgetting lyrics and what not?

Kyle
05-03-2014, 08:54 PM
A question for the people who saw them during The Fragile era: how were the live shows? It was when Trent was at his worst, so he says. Was he fucked up all the time on stage, forgetting lyrics and what not?
No. I saw him twice on the fragility tour and both times nothing stood out. The worst online clips I saw though were in other countries so ymmv. AATCHB is pretty representative of the shows I saw. FDtS tour was actually crazier (although he probably wasn't as high)

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately, I became a fan in 2008 and the next year NIN went on major hiatus. Needless to say, the past year has been a really exciting time to be a fan.
Same here, but I don't think our experience compares to anyone who was waiting for TF or WT — we've had two huge soundtrack albums and HTDA to keep us occupied. Those 90s/00s gaps must have felt like a post-apocalyptic desert.

Not to mention that there were two albums in '08, and LITS was the first North American tour to hear anything from YZ. We were totally spoiled.

botley
05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Happy 9th birthday, With Teeth. You're still a sexy motherfucker.

sheepdean
05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Happy 9th birthday, With Teeth. You're still a sexy motherfucker.
http://fromtheleft.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/hansen_story.jpg

MrSlfDstruct
05-03-2014, 10:14 PM

There's probably some sentimentality attached to it, but the first NIN show I went to was Fragility in 2000 and it was absolutely fucking fantastic. Thanks to RITC I've listened to that show quite a few times and there's nothing off about it at all. When I listen to the recording, there IS one spot before TDTWWA where he's thanking the crowd for their support and he says "we appreciate it" where it sounds like he MIGHT be slurring a bit, but the performance was totally on point.

icecream
05-03-2014, 10:23 PM
At least the shows werent a mess. I have tried drunken kareoke a few times and it never turns out well. That's the only way I can relate to playing a sold out stadium.

WorzelG
05-04-2014, 01:01 AM
I saw them in London 1999 and it's still one of my favourite shows ever - but that was right at the beginning of the tour. Look up Tokyo in 2000 which is the worst i've seen, Big Day Out in Australia, he seemed entertainingly high rather than embarrassingly high like Tokyo

nooneimportant
05-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Same here, but I don't think our experience compares to anyone who was waiting for TF or WT — we've had two huge soundtrack albums and HTDA to keep us occupied. Those 90s/00s gaps must have felt like a post-apocalyptic desert.

Not to mention that there were two albums in '08, and LITS was the first North American tour to hear anything from YZ. We were totally spoiled.

Spoiled was Summer 2013 with all those live webcasts. That was insane. I even caught them playing Lollapalooza on my iPhone while on a vacation trip.

Technology is great...atleast until it becomes self aware and Skynet becomes real and Trent ends up writing music about it. :D

slave2thewage
05-04-2014, 05:30 AM
LOL, you guys remember when everyone thought the teaser sample of Beside You In Time was reversed audio? Good times.

icecream
05-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I saw them in London 1999 and it's still one of my favourite shows ever - but that was right at the beginning of the tour. Look up Tokyo in 2000 which is the worst i've seen, Big Day Out in Australia, he seemed entertainingly high rather than embarrassingly high like Tokyo
Just watched MotP from Tokyo..... that's pretty sad. Glad to know not every show from that era was like that though.

hobochic
05-04-2014, 08:28 AM
I knew I knew Aaron North from another band.

http://marcmyers.typepad.com/.a/6a00e008dca1f0883401a3fabef733970b-500wi

Emil Dorbell
05-04-2014, 02:49 PM
So, just posting this to trick fate, or be able to say I told you so. I've seen NIN seven times, and I've yet to see my favorite song (Somewhat Damaged) played. I'm seeing them in Stockholm and Copenhagen next week and I could bet that they won't play Somewhat Damaged on either date, but they'll play it in Oslo, which is the date in between these two shows. Calling it.

ericy210
05-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Wow, youtube search "option 30 gotta look sharp." Trent's looking Miami vice sharp!

sick among the pure
05-04-2014, 06:38 PM
So, just posting this to trick fate, or be able to say I told you so. I've seen NIN seven times, and I've yet to see my favorite song (Somewhat Damaged) played. I'm seeing them in Stockholm and Copenhagen next week and I could bet that they won't play Somewhat Damaged on either date, but they'll play it in Oslo, which is the date in between these two shows. Calling it.

It took me till my 8th show (the Wave Goodbye random setlists) to see my favorite song, The Wretched, even with it being considered a fairly consistent staple.

tony.parente
05-04-2014, 11:31 PM

I've seen NIN twice and had to sit through my least favorite song twice (Echoplex) but the second time I saw them I got to see my second favorite track Somewhat Damaged. <3 <3

sheepdean
05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Well my favourite NIN songs are AATCHB and Zero-Sum, so I'm shit out of luck

Kyle
05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I've seen NIN 73 times and they played The Perfect Drug at 74 of those shows.