PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

hani
11-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Considering the style Trent has come into with the last few NIN albums, it occurred to me that if TDS came out tomorrow, the first portion of Mr. Self Destruct would be its own track. I wonder what it would be called?

...ok, I've taken this NIN obsession too far, I think.

The Beater of People

*bah dum tssssss*

katara
11-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Considering the style Trent has come into with the last few NIN albums, it occurred to me that if TDS came out tomorrow, the first portion of Mr. Self Destruct would be its own track. I wonder what it would be called?

...ok, I've taken this NIN obsession too far, I think.
Eat Your Heart Out, George

WorzelG
11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Dear Mr. Manson,

I'm not sure if you realize, but your new logo looks like some old NIN logo according to some NIN super fans who think about NIN all the time and associate (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014) practically (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts) anything (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanMyopia) with NIN. Please cease using this logo and, just to be safe, stop using the letter "M" in lowercase or uppercase. (It's totally ripping off the more awesome letter "N".)

Sincerely,
NIN super fans

--

That memo? :p
After reading that somebody in the Manson forum collected old make-up encrusted face wipes from backstage at a Manson show (eewww), I don't think NIN has the monopoly on weird obsessive fans around here

Halo Infinity
11-20-2014, 08:00 AM
@WorzelG (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=811) - Check out the 2:59 - 3:16 mark. I also get that it's a joke, but still. ;) I'm also sure that was @Hazekiah (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1162). :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44z5USNBzb0

WorzelG
11-20-2014, 08:20 AM
^^ha, the 'lick Trent' thing, I just don't get that vibe from NIN audiences anymore

Halo Infinity
11-20-2014, 08:21 AM
After reading that somebody in the Manson forum collected old make-up encrusted face wipes from backstage at a Manson show (eewww), I don't think NIN has the monopoly on weird obsessive fans around here
I almost forgot to include this live video of Closer being interrupted altogether. That's also assuming that this wasn't staged too. It starts at the 2:21 mark of the video. I was also reminded of that moment when you said that. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q25nFBBpHVw

WorzelG
11-20-2014, 08:25 AM
^^that must have been some backstage practical joking hi-jinx

hobochic
11-20-2014, 10:55 AM
The Beater of People

...is Piggy Pig Pig Pig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GysyU8sCdlM

Omega
11-21-2014, 03:59 AM
Haven't seen the Manson logo, lol. I've never paid much attention to Manson, was never an even remote fan..but ya, kinda lame. Doesn't look nearly as cool either:). There is only one NIN! Many imitators but there's only one! BTW, who listens to Manson anymore? lol.

Halo Infinity
11-21-2014, 08:15 AM
The logo is a form of trolling.
I'm actually suspecting that as well. It's very hard for me to imagine Marilyn Manson not realizing the similarity it has to Sin. It's like his way of saying, "Guess who and what I'm referring to this time?" without actually asking that question out loud.

Haven't seen the Manson logo, lol. I've never paid much attention to Manson, was never an even remote fan..but ya, kinda lame. Doesn't look nearly as cool either:). There is only one NIN! Many imitators but there's only one!
I don't like it all that much either, as I'm sure that it could've been much better.

BTW, who listens to Manson anymore? lol.
Aside from myself, I suppose these guys (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/index.php) do. (I get it, but I just couldn't help myself. My bad.) :p

implanted_microchip
11-21-2014, 08:22 AM
So I don't want to clutter up the nin-spotting thread ever since there was that whole big discussion about people commenting in it and not linking new things, etc., and so I'd rather just avoid causing any frustration at all for those with e-mail alerts and all that jazz, but that new post of Trent in studio again, along with the pics of instruments in the past month or two from him has me thinking again about how crazy of a work ethic he has. I think he's forgotten what taking a break is at this point; he seriously puts so many other artists to shame with his level of output at this point, and it's really amazing to think that ten years ago fans were saying the exact opposite.

Halo Infinity
11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
So I don't want to clutter up the nin-spotting thread ever since there was that whole big discussion about people commenting in it and not linking new things, etc., and so I'd rather just avoid causing any frustration at all for those with e-mail alerts and all that jazz, but that new post of Trent in studio again, along with the pics of instruments in the past month or two from him has me thinking again about how crazy of a work ethic he has.
I've always found it to be inspiring, aside from his actual music.

I think he's forgotten what taking a break is at this point; he seriously puts so many other artists to shame with his level of output at this point, and it's really amazing to think that ten years ago fans were saying the exact opposite.
It seems like his work ethic was always there, even during 1994-2005. It's pretty impressive considering his involvement with Portrait of an American Family, Smells Like Children, Antichrist Superstar, Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway. And then you have And All That Could Have Been (Live/Still) and his involvement with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. It seemed to have sort of made up for those gaps in some ways when I look back at it now, as he still managed to get stuff out there.

However, during those exact moments, I could also see why it would've been also very hard to take in those gaps in between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth in spite of all the work that went on in between them, which I still find to be impressive even during Trent's low points when he felt discouraged enough to even ponder about not wanting to make music for quite a while. I could've sworn that I've read an article/interview of him admitting to feeling that way back in late 2000 or mid 2001.

tony.parente
11-24-2014, 02:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dVoMSzS.jpg

I love facebook sometimes.

tony.parente
11-24-2014, 02:58 AM

That person is a member of this board and that was kind of taken out of context. I commented to them about how the last time manson played the pageant in STL I caught a sweat towel and I still have packed away. They then stated they have a few makeup wipes from backstage that they've kept. I can see how it can be considered weird but it's not nearly and batshit as that statement comes off as.

Khrz
11-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Yeah, as weird as that may sound to me, who isn't a manson fan, there's a huge difference between "I collect old make-up swipes" and "I just grabbed that weird piece of memorabilia".

WorzelG
11-24-2014, 03:33 AM
^^^ok he swiped old used face wipes from the floor backstage rather than 'collected' but I'm sorry that stuff should go straight in the bin, it's absolutely foul. Reading my post again I said 'collected old face wipes from backstage at a Manson show' - that suggested it was a one off rather than that he collects them in a 'collector' way.

tony.parente
11-24-2014, 03:52 AM
^^^ok he swiped old used face wipes from the floor backstage rather than 'collected' but I'm sorry that stuff should go straight in the bin, it's absolutely foul. Reading my post again I said 'collected old face wipes from backstage at a Manson show' - that suggested it was a one off rather than that he collects them in a 'collector' way.

I don't know, if someone by chance obtained a towel or something of 1999 era trent that had his cornstarch on it I don't think as many people would react as strongly here. It all depends I guess.

WorzelG
11-24-2014, 04:52 AM
I don't know, if someone by chance obtained a towel or something of 1999 era trent that had his cornstarch on it I don't think as many people would react as strongly here. It all depends I guess.
I don't think anyone except me really gives a shit, I was just commenting in response to the guy making out fans of NIN to be the most 'superfan' type when I think people on the manson forum are way more 'obsessive' personally. I do keep a check on the manson forum as its very entertaining, the thing is a lot of nin fans probably keep their thoughts to themself on this board because of the way people have been treated on past ETS, Hazekiah is very open about fandom and therefore lends himself to more teasing! I've liked quite a few of his posts though, and his videos are great. The whole Transformers discussion was hilarious

Khrz
11-24-2014, 04:56 AM

Yeah I wasn't really quoting your post, just opposing two perspectives. I understand where you're coming from, as I said I'm not a fan so that kind of memorabilia doesn't interest me in the least, and if a fan was to show me they have such thing I'd be completely uninterested. But from a fan perspective, and we're talking about a huge fan in this case, I understand why you'd want something so directly linked to the artist and his stage persona. It does sound nasty to me too, but that's not any worse than fans collecting used towels, and I sure there are fans like that absolutely everywhere. Hell, Madonna used to throw her panties in the crowd, when it comes to body sweat and weird shit to grab onto, I think a sweaty make-up swipe is almost vanilla in comparison...

Halo Infinity
11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I was just reminiscing some of the good times I've had with my best friend that I've regularly spent time with from 2002-2011, and I thought that he would've loved to see All The Love In The World live. I was with him when we both listened to With Teeth for the first time ever, shortly after it was released, and All The Love In The World instantly became his first favorite song from With Teeth, and it still is. I still wished we could've seen it live, as it just flooded me with so many memories again. And considering the year we became friends, The Fragile and all of the other previous albums also bring a lot of memories I've had with him too. I knew him before 2002 though, but we weren't that close at those times, and I wasn't a fan of Nine Inch Nails before 2002, but it's as if he can't remember me not being a Nine Inch Nails at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gloEaKzXA4

m15a
11-25-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't think anyone except me really gives a shit, I was just commenting in response to the guy making out fans of NIN to be the most 'superfan' type when I think people on the manson forum are way more 'obsessive' personally.

Just to be clear, my point wasn't that NIN "superfans" (of which I am including myself) are the most obsessive. My point was that our perspective is distorted by the fact that we're big fans of NIN. The logo made me think of the NIN/Sin logo, too, but I'm aware that it might only seem like "copying" because I have looked at that logo so many times. (I mean, really, it's a logo from a 24-year-old not-very-popular single.) I definitely wasn't saying that being "obsessive" makes us weird - it's perfectly natural, which is why I linked to the TV tropes "fan myopia" page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanMyopia) describing the tendency.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-25-2014, 07:05 PM
I definitely wasn't saying that being "obsessive" makes us weird - it's perfectly natural
Hey, maybe this means I can get "Certified Organic" tattooed on my forehead.

…That makes me weird.

OK, so it wasn't a NIN thought. But it was random as hell.

Halo Infinity
11-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Whoa, November is almost over, and I still didn't really comment on my 12th year as a Nine Inch Nails fan coming to a close. It sure did, as I became a fan in the middle of November of 2002. ETS was either a few days old, or a few days prior to opening up when I became a fan. I at least caught on with The NIN Hotline back then though, because I was reading The Meathead Perspective on a regular basis. I didn't really check out and join ETS until 2004, for those of you that didn't know. And well, as if I also needed any more excuses and reasons to listen to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile again. I also still remember the exact order that I got into those albums as well.

1. The Downward Spiral
2. The Fragile
3. Broken
4. Pretty Hate Machine

kel
11-27-2014, 12:02 PM
edit .....

sheepdean
11-27-2014, 12:27 PM
what in the fuck is going on in the sin vid? some genital piercings, a dildo and a couple dudes smoking pot, trent in a gyroscope ...

as a gay kid growing up in the early 90's, i thought it was awesome, but i just watched it for the first time in ages and it's so weird and random.

i don't understand the intent.
Early 90s + vague concept of sinful sex = BDSM and cockslapping with strapons

butter_hole
11-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I had a fucken messed up dream about Trent. He went on some instagram tirade re-posting gossipy bits of news, responding to each one with a denial, just generally being pissed. and finished it all off with a video of him and his kids walking in costumes, like trick or treating? but he was topless? very odd. dont drink and dream, people.

botley
11-27-2014, 08:08 PM
what in the fuck is going on in the sin vid? some genital piercings, a dildo and a couple dudes smoking pot, trent in a gyroscope ...

as a gay kid growing up in the early 90's, i thought it was awesome, but i just watched it for the first time in ages and it's so weird and random.

Provoke TVT Records?

elevenism
11-28-2014, 03:33 AM

i always thought it might refer to a possible interpretation of the lyrics...
you know...take in...the extent of my sin...

like, you know, get a load of my nine inch dildo.

edit: in your asshole.

seriously.

i really think that might be what sin is about....not the dildo, specifically, but you know, men fucking.
along with the your kiss/your fist dichotomy, which might suggest a possibly more painful and violent method.
of fucking, i mean.

oh hell, sheepdean already summed it up better.

simonn
11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Logging a question for the next time we get to 'ask Trent a question' (before he blows it off again)....bearing in mind he was with Bono on the release date of their latest album, did they discuss NIN's (frankly awesome) cover of Zoo Station, and if so what did Bono have to say....?

FernandoDante
11-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Not really a NIN thought, but:

That PHHHHHHHOTO app Mariqueen uses is just the lamest shit ever. "Here's 3 frames, repeated for no particular reason!"

botley
11-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Logging a question for the next time we get to 'ask Trent a question' (before he blows it off again)....bearing in mind he was with Bono on the release date of their latest album, did they discuss NIN's (frankly awesome) cover of Zoo Station, and if so what did Bono have to say....?
I doubt that's the first time they talked about it, as they've known each other from long before that. Trent is a U2 fan, and worked with them before. Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so. remix of "Vertigo" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4BIQwstlo)

Here they are together at a 2005 Grammys party after that song won, like, twenty-seven awards:
http://u2station.com/news/0_195511_a548404c_orig.jpg

(Contrast TR's classy lemon water-in-a-wine-glass with Bono's can of Guinness)

Krazy
11-28-2014, 08:53 PM
I didn't know that pic was from '05- always thought it was from TF era, assumed alcohol was in the glass.

botley
11-28-2014, 09:10 PM
I didn't know that pic was from '05- always thought it was from TF era, assumed alcohol was in the glass.
Hahah, the servers at those parties likely don't even bother bringing water glasses to the venue; probably nobody expected a teetotaller to show up

FernandoDante
11-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Someone working on the album mentioned to the BBC that, upon hearing the Zoo Station cover for the first time, Bono said "shit, this is better than the original".

sheepdean
11-28-2014, 10:11 PM

That PHHHHHHHOTO app Mariqueen uses is just the lamest shit ever. "Here's 3 frames, repeated for no particular reason!"
You think that's badly designed, you should see the music app her husband made

simonn
11-29-2014, 05:56 AM
I doubt that's the first time they talked about it, as they've known each other from long before that. Trent is a U2 fan, and worked with them before. Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so. remix of "Vertigo" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4BIQwstlo)

Here they are together at a 2005 Grammys party after that song won, like, twenty-seven awards:
http://u2station.com/news/0_195511_a548404c_orig.jpg

(Contrast TR's classy lemon water-in-a-wine-glass with Bono's can of Guinness)

Been a while since I listened to that - I should head over to controversial opinions - prefer the original to the TR remix!:)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so. remix of "Vertigo" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4BIQwstlo)
I was underwhelmed by the Zoo Station cover, but this remix is way better than the original (which like most of the album was pretty boring).

butter_hole
11-30-2014, 10:39 PM

I've never minded seeing a photo of Mariqueen

FernandoDante
12-01-2014, 08:39 AM
I've never minded seeing a photo of Mariqueen
I don't mind photos either, but PHHHHOTO takes photos and loops them in a really lame way.

sweeterthan
12-01-2014, 12:16 PM
It seems like she has fun with it. The one of her kissing trent in a coffin is adorable.

Halo Infinity
12-01-2014, 06:40 PM
It still occurred to me how Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile will always be in chronological and alphabetical order on an iPod, with the Left side also making it before the Right side from The Fragile. I've also noticed the same exact thing for With Teeth and Year Zero and how the Live part of And All That Could Have Been also happens to take place before the Still part too.

Oh, and whenever I have a crush or fantasy of a romantic and intimate relationship, The Only Time immediately plays in my mind. It's always been that way with me for quite a while. Pardon me, I'm just dreaming and fantasizing about relationships again, which ties in with this particular random NIN thought anyway. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw9cEuhzFfc

pinata89
12-02-2014, 09:55 AM
It still occurred to me how Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile will always be in chronological and alphabetical order on an iPod, with the Left side also making it before the Right side from The Fragile. I've also noticed the same exact thing for With Teeth and Year Zero and the Live part of And All That Could Have Been also happens to take place before the still part too.

Never thought about it that way, but very cool. Too bad Pretty Hate Machine starts with a "P." In my mind, all the endings and beginnings of each album (that are in sequence, albeit) fit pretty well together.

mwt
12-02-2014, 10:50 AM
long time lurker -- thought i'd share with everyone my groomsman cake from my recent wedding:

http://digiunix.net/~mwt/nin-cake.png

Jordan
12-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I know I know, what a little impatient bitch I am. 3rd world problems.

Halo Infinity
12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
long time lurker -- thought i'd share with everyone my groomsman cake from my recent wedding:
I like how it reminds of Ghosts I-IV. Some cakes remind me of The Fragile. This just also reminded me that most Nine Inch Nails album covers sometimes get me thinking of food. Here's a few examples, and well, while totally random NIN thought, I guess it might as well go in this thread, since that's what it's about it. This is only one of the few places where I can openly admit something like this anyway.

Pretty Hate Machine - gelatin, gummy candy, jelly beans
Broken - pizza, spaghetti
The Downward Spiral - tortilla chips, tacos, burritos, bean dip
The Fragile - steak, red wine, iced tea, sushi, cake
And All That Could Have Been (Live) - coffee, iced cofee
With Teeth - chocolate mint, green tea

I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else?
That's also one of my biggest qualms and concerns whenever it came to pre-ordering anything. It's why I usually prefer to wait a few days or a week after something comes out. And yes, that's very backwards.

jessamineny
12-02-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm a little frustrated by the fact the every single time I pre-order something from nin.com it shows up a good time AFTER the release date. Good hell. Does that seem backwards to anybody else? I know I know, what a little impatient bitch I am. 3rd world problems.

From modlife, at least as of last year: "We're not supposed to ship them till street date"

Microwave Jellyfish
12-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I like how it reminds of Ghosts I-IV. Some cakes remind me of The Fragile. This just also reminded me that most Nine Inch Nails album covers sometimes get me thinking of food.
The Fragile's cover, at least the right side always makes me think of beer in a pint glass with the NIN logo disappearing in the foam on the top.

Charmingly Miserable
12-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Whoa, November is almost over, and I still didn't really comment on my 12th year as a Nine Inch Nails fan coming to a close. It sure did, as I became a fan in the middle of November of 2002. ETS was either a few days old, or a few days prior to opening up when I became a fan. I at least caught on with The NIN Hotline back then though, because I was reading The Meathead Perspective on a regular basis. I didn't really check out and join ETS until 2004, for those of you that didn't know. And well, as if I also needed any more excuses and reasons to listen to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile again. I also still remember the exact order that I got into those albums as well.

1. The Downward Spiral
2. The Fragile
3. Broken
4. Pretty Hate Machine
Cheers to your first 12 years and the many more dozen years to follow.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Never thought about it that way, but very cool. Too bad Pretty Hate Machine starts with a "P." In my mind, all the endings and beginnings of each album (that are in sequence, albeit) fit pretty well together.
Being the anal person I am, my NIN playlists are broken down by album with the halo number prefixed to keep them in chronological order. :p

http://digiunix.net/~mwt/nin-cake.png
God, I need that cake … sigh. Brownies with salted caramel will have to do.

thevoid99
12-03-2014, 09:32 PM
My birthday is in a couple of days. I would like to have a piece of that cake.

Halo Infinity
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM
I've always liked the idea of an official and verified Trent Reznor page on Facebook, but I suppose he's always seemed to prefer Twitter far more. I'm also a bit surprised that wasn't ever a thing, until he expressed his reasons for not really being into Facebook all that much. Anyway, I just still thought that following an official Trent Reznor page would've been something I would've enjoyed, especially if it was exactly like how Al Jourgensen had his own Facebook page.

elevenism
12-05-2014, 04:31 PM
i'm watching "the gift" again, and as lovely as it is, i would really like to have a fixed camera angle version...you know, so you can see everything going on on the led walls the whole time.
does anyone have such a thing?

Copy_of_an_Echo
12-05-2014, 09:52 PM
What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
When I saw this I couldn't help thinking, "Hmm, future NIN concert venue?"

Apple spending $161 million to build a theater at new headquarters (http://blog.buildzoom.com/apple-auditorium/)

Not (yet) a NIN Spotting, but (theoretically) not just Apple related, so … Random Maybe-NIN Thought.

nooneimportant
12-07-2014, 11:55 PM
What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.

I found a synth sound in Garageband that is very close to it. It also sounds suspiciously like the bass during live versions of Happiness in Slavery.

Jordan
12-08-2014, 01:03 AM
From modlife, at least as of last year: "We're not supposed to ship them till street date"I guess I understand that. But my order still hasn't shipped. Maybe they wait an entire month after the release date just to be sure it doesn't somehow arrive before they are "supposed" to ship it. I mean you know USPS, those guys are fucking good!

EndlessLoveless
12-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I happened to catch like 3 minutes of Tomb Raider the other day. Never watched it before and saw Iain Glen from Game of Thrones was the main villain so i got sucked in. Ended up hate watching the whole thing. So why Tomb Raider??? I think 'Deep' is a really good song. The stepping stone from The Fragile to With Teeth, in a certain way to me. But again, why Tomb Raider, of all movies to give that song to? Has it ever been explained?

fillow
12-08-2014, 12:35 PM
^^
Presumably, TR is/was a fan Tomb Raider game series

seasonsinthesky
12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I happened to catch like 3 minutes of Tomb Raider the other day. Never watched it before and saw Iain Glen from Game of Thrones was the main villain so i got sucked in. Ended up hate watching the whole thing. So why Tomb Raider??? I think 'Deep' is a really good song. The stepping stone from The Fragile to With Teeth, in a certain way to me. But again, why Tomb Raider, of all movies to give that song to? Has it ever been explained?

money and a leftover song? who knows. may as well throw in "Burn" for NBK while you're at it.

definitely is the start of the WT songwriting, though, as you say. fit perfectly on that tour when it debuted next to "Not So Pretty Now" and other WT stuff. the only other missed opportunity that would have fit nicely was "Where is Everybody?" but that was probably tough on his breathing (plus how the hell would he get the solo done properly without Belew? this is a missed opportunity from having Belew in the band, among all the other cool things that could have happened).

EndlessLoveless
12-08-2014, 01:16 PM
money and a leftover song? who knows. may as well throw in "Burn" for NBK while you're at it.

definitely is the start of the WT songwriting, though, as you say. fit perfectly on that tour when it debuted next to "Not So Pretty Now" and other WT stuff. the only other missed opportunity that would have fit nicely was "Where is Everybody?" but that was probably tough on his breathing (plus how the hell would he get the solo done properly without Belew? this is a missed opportunity from having Belew in the band, among all the other cool things that could have happened).

But at least with NBK, he had something to do with the soundtrack. It just seems so random to me. But yes, mustve been money.

fillow
12-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Burn was a new song specifically written for soundtrack (I think as a contractual obligation).
Deep is more likely a leftover song (possibly from pre-Still post-Fragile abandoned sessions). Doesn't seem to have anything to do with WT since it's written even before the rehab. And WT wasn't started until 2003 or so. (I do acknowledge sonic similarities though).

Khrz
12-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with WT since it's written even before the rehab. And WT wasn't started until 2003 or so. (I do acknowledge sonic similarities though).

Yeah I think the association with With_Teeth has less to do with the actual album, and more to do with its sound, the step it represents in NIN's evolution. I don't know the context of its inception, but it does fit nicely between The Fragile and WT, musically. Comparatively, The Perfect Drug comes completely out of left field, neither here nor there.

seasonsinthesky
12-08-2014, 03:07 PM
The Perfect Drug comes completely out of left field, neither here nor there.

i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.

it's some sort of cousin to both "I Do Not Want This" (drum fuckery / distortion / big chorus) and "And All That Could Have Been" (quiet, cold, chorusy guitars / forlorn longing vocal / even the guitar-only bridge harkens back to the TPD chorus style) is what i am trying to say. one foot in each door.

Khrz
12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.

I was only speaking musically. When it comes to themes, one could say that roughly the entirety of NIN's discography has something to do with drugs/addiction of some sort. And musically, Reznor has rarely strayed too far from a pop or rock structure, focusing more on how to render or twist those fundamentals, rather than reinvent them. But the obvious Jungle influences on TPD make it a wild card among the rest, there's nothing quite like it, although now that I think of it, Starfuckers stands out sonically in a similar manner...

Krazy
12-09-2014, 06:16 PM
I'd wish my iPhone would auto-correct "NIN" with the second N backwards.

Especially now with TR being an Apple "employee" (or whatever his actual title/employment is with them).

screwdriver
12-09-2014, 06:20 PM
In This Moment do a, shall I say, interesting, cover of Closer. I can honestly say I only know a couple songs by them just from listening to Octane on Sirius, and they aren't all that bad. This one though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAwyX5fhCQ&feature=youtu.be

I must be the only person who thought this wasn't horrible? I mean, its not my cup of tea but I think they did something interesting with it, and everyone ragging on her singing seems to be missing the point? I'm not gonna check out the band, but still -- that was a B effort.

Dryalex12
12-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey I just realized something,NIN with Soundgarden.......you know the same band that had the person who made Scream? the one that trent loved so much? I wonder if Chris ever played that just to see if trent reacted

Krazy
12-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey I just realized something,NIN with Soundgarden.......you know the same band that had the person who made Scream? the one that trent loved so much? I wonder if Chris ever played that just to see if trent reacted
^
^
^
<------------- mind blown

The_Prowler
12-11-2014, 01:46 AM
I fully accept that when Trent says something is coming "soon", there's a good chance that it will never see the light of day. Is it upsetting? Of course, but I'm happy to get anything that he actually does put out, and everything that gets dropped has a reason for it. I've been waiting for promised music and DVDs for years, but everything that has come out in their stead has been amazing and worth waiting for (remember when we were promised Bleed Through and were treated to Year Zero instead?).

So let's take it easy on the poor man, he's got his fingers in a lot of pies.

sick among the pure
12-11-2014, 06:04 AM
remember when we were promised Bleed Through and were treated to Year Zero instead?

Bleed Through was the original title for what became With Teeth.

Substance242
12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Not sure where to post this...

Process: Nine Inch Nails (1/3) - Effects In The Studio
In the debut of Process, a new video series by Soundtoys, Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails talked to us about their creative process and the ways they use Soundtoys plug-ins Echoboy and Decapitator on their latest album, Hesitation Marks.

http://youtu.be/xcB6W_PDy0U?list=PLL93phyiaMfnTXjI-VRP8xqyrLpLc3o8X

The_Prowler
12-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Bleed Through was the original title for what became With Teeth.
I had read in multiple places that it was supposed to be a follow up to With Teeth. Trent even talked about it in SPIN magazine.

Sarah K
12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I had read in multiple places that it was supposed to be a follow up to With Teeth. Trent even talked about it in SPIN magazine.

http://www.ninwiki.com/With_Teeth_(halo)#Bleedthrough

The_Prowler
12-11-2014, 02:06 PM
I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to go back and reread those interviews.

Edo
12-11-2014, 03:10 PM
I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to go back and reread those interviews.

Trent once promised a deluxe version of With Teeth, with a long essay explaining the concept and creation of the album, and we never got it and got Year Zero instead, maybe that's what you actually remember from those interviews? http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=116

The_Prowler
12-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Trent once promised a deluxe version of With Teeth, with a long essay explaining the concept and creation of the album, and we never got it and got Year Zero instead, maybe that's what you actually remember from those interviews? http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=116
That is a distinct possibility. I remember reading the aforementioned SPIN interview with him talking about With Teeth and Bleed Through, but it's been so long since I've read it that I guess I got the specifics. A lot's happened since 2004.

howdidislipinto
12-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I do think early on Trent would mention that With Teeth was part one of a two part album, didn't he? Not to the level that he did with Year Zero mind you, but I definitely think he intended to continue the concept before stumbling upon the (better?) YZ concept.

sick among the pure
12-12-2014, 05:29 AM
I do think early on Trent would mention that With Teeth was part one of a two part album, didn't he? Not to the level that he did with Year Zero mind you, but I definitely think he intended to continue the concept before stumbling upon the (better?) YZ concept.

Some people have speculated that some of the unused concepts and thought processes from WT were used in YZ (part of why Trent wrote the album while touring for WT perhaps). THTF is an obvious connection, and some people think that the The Warning on the lyric poster later became the The Warning on YZ. There's also been speculation that the "transforming package" and "essay" were re-worked for YZ's package and story.

Ryan
12-12-2014, 07:27 AM

"What do you do when you buy a record now? I either download it or, more likely, I'll immediately put the CDs I buy in my iPod and then I lose them. Artwork is disposable now. I liked albums. It was an exploratory process. I don't see that with CDs. They're junk. It feels like we should just by-pass packaging all together. If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."[3] (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=116)

So, what about the artwork didn't we "get" back then? I'm interested to know. It sounds similar to the red strands of things connecting artwork together on The Slip that we still don't really get.

Or is he just referring to his emo haircut picture inside the packaging that we all didn't get?

sheepdean
12-12-2014, 07:44 AM
So, what about the artwork didn't we "get" back then? I'm interested to know. It sounds similar to the red strands of things connecting artwork together on The Slip that we still don't really get.

Veering off-topic, but I'd love some kind of essay from Rob/Trent about TS' art

Ryan
12-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Veering off-topic, but I'd love some kind of essay from Rob/Trent about TS' art

Me too, and the relevance of the AIR lag for Letting You.

I've always liked how mysterious it all is with the red lines eventually getting chaotic and culminating with Demon Seed.

Also veering off topic, what was with those two squares overlapping each other that appeared on the Wave Goodbye merch and on the shirts Trent and co wore at the time? What were they meant to signify or resemble?

sheepdean
12-12-2014, 09:09 AM
I thought the AIR flag was meant to be a sign it was an outtake from YZ. Though I still think TS' concept is that of a live show performance

Ryan
12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
sheepdean Did those sweaty interviews with Atticus posted
in NIN Spotting turn you on? lol

EndlessLoveless
12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
I thought the AIR flag was meant to be a sign it was an outtake from YZ. Though I still think TS' concept is that of a live show performance

It definitely fits lyrically. I could see it as track 3 between TITB and survivalism.

Khrz
12-12-2014, 11:07 AM

And the fact that positioned that way, it makes a LY (Letting You) :

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/3f/7c/0c3f7c6abe60627ef82a177d33603ffa.jpg

Rob's works was stellar on that album.

sweeterthan
12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Beardy interview: http://youtu.be/zYKHkXMEczQ

Dryalex12
12-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Actually funny story....when my friend who lives in Florida went to see NIN live, he wore a shirt that had the strobe light trent on, and Alessandro kept looking at him several time, and right before they played hurt, Alessandro tossed one of the Hurt tape sample to him

implanted_microchip
12-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Actually funny story....when my friend who lives in Florida went to see NIN live, he wore a shirt that had the strobe light trent on, and Alessandro kept looking at him several time, and right before they played hurt, Alessandro tossed one of the Hurt tape sample to him

I don't know why but it makes me so happy knowing I wasn't the only person wearing a Strobe Light shirt at one of those shows! That was this year, right?

Dryalex12
12-12-2014, 04:40 PM
yeah it was

Ryan
12-12-2014, 07:23 PM
And the fact that positioned that way, it makes a LY (Letting You) :

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0c/3f/7c/0c3f7c6abe60627ef82a177d33603ffa.jpg

Rob's works was stellar on that album.

Wow, well observed!

Halo Infinity
12-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Whenever I take the time to consider and observe just how I barely have anybody to discuss Nine Inch Nails with in real life, it still amazes and reminds me how immensely Echoing the Sound makes up for it, as I also enjoy reading conversations about NIN. Aside from being a huge fan, I suppose that's what drew me to the NIN section a lot more than I've ever expected. There actually have been some people in real life I was able to have conversations about NIN with, but they're often few and far between. It also seems like my entire family hasn't even heard of NIN too. (Or just most of them for that matter.)

I suppose promoting ETS and The NIN Hotline whenever I get the chance to discuss NIN just adds to the fun being a huge fan, and it's also exactly why it still sort of feels like an extra bonus thing for me to do as a fan. :)

Halo Infinity
12-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Out of all the random NIN thoughts, I kept forgetting to post this for some reason, as I've always thought of it ever since I've heard the live version of Copy Of A.

@The_Prowler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3152) - I also thought that you'd like to know this, since you've brought up his music being about survival.

At the few seconds after Trent sings, "Always my intention, my intention, your attention. Just doing everything you tell me to." the drumming in a few seconds afterwards had me think of it as heartbeat, as if to say, "I've overcome this. I have survived. This is how far I've gone. I shall continue to live on in spite off all the odds stacked up against me, including myself." I tend to think that whenever I hear that part of Copy Of A live.

It's around the 4:43-4:47 mark of this video of Copy Of A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

And as far as Hesitation Marks songs go live, I just love them. And speaking of which, as far as albums go, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks seem to have the most of my favorite songs to also hear live whenever it comes to his works beyond The Fragile. I guess this also isn't much for the fans that have seen NIN a lot live, but since I don't go to concerts that much, I'd actually like a setlist with more songs from those albums when it comes to more recent NIN.

Come to think of it, a set-list chock full of songs from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks would be just swell to me. (And maybe a little Broken and Year Zero here and there too.) And well, one random thought just lead to another, I suppose. :p

I'll also try to see what I can come up with in the dream set-list thread now that I've narrowed it down by the albums. I'd also probably leave some songs from The Fragile in the encore too. :)

The_Prowler
12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Out of all the random NIN thoughts, I kept forgetting to post this for some reason, as I've always thought of it ever since I've heard the live version of Copy Of A.

@The_Prowler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3152) - I also thought that you'd like to know this, since you've brought up his music being about survival.

At the few seconds after Trent sings, "Always my intention, my intention, your attention. Just doing everything you tell me to." the drumming in a few seconds afterwards had me think of it as heartbeat, as if to say, "I've overcome this. I have survived. This is how far I've gone. I shall continue to live on in spite off all the odds stacked up against me, including myself." I tend to think that whenever I hear that part of Copy Of A live.

It's around the 4:43-4:47 mark of this video of Copy Of A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

And as far as Hesitation Marks songs go live, I just love them. And speaking of which, as far as albums go, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks seem to have the most of my favorite songs to also hear live whenever it comes to his works beyond The Fragile. I guess this also isn't much for the fans that have seen NIN a lot live, but since I don't go to concerts that much, I'd actually like a setlist with more songs from those albums when it comes to more recent NIN.

Come to think of it, a set-list chock full of songs from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks would be just swell to me. (And maybe a little Broken and Year Zero here and there too.) And well, one random thought just lead to another, I suppose. :p

I'll also try to see what I can come up with in the dream set-list thread now that I've narrowed it down by the albums. I'd also probably leave some songs from The Fragile in the encore too. :)
So really what you want is a setlist like from the last two shows from the Wave Goodbye tour with some songs from Hesitation Marks in there. I have to say that I'd pay all the money to see that. Not just all my money, I mean all the money :D

As for your thought about the drum break in Copy Of A being Trent's heartbeat, I've never thought about it like that. That's a really interesting thought.

Copy_of_an_Echo
12-13-2014, 01:26 AM
lol that bass in Happiness in Slavery... I love it I somehow managed to edit a patch on my DX7 to sound incredibly close to it.

Halo Infinity
12-13-2014, 06:40 PM
A Nine Inch Nails and friends Christmas album!

Indeed! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPnwLjZbHs

-That was my random NIN thought as soon as I saw that post, and well, I've always thought that Nine Inch Noels deserved more views.- :p

GibbonBlack
12-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I've always thought that Nine Inch Noels deserved more views.- :p

It's your posts that keep reminding me that exists

Halo Infinity
12-15-2014, 11:30 PM
I've sometimes caught TheFineBros on YouTube and I always wondered what it would be like if they had a "Teens/Elders react to Nine Inch Nails." video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFineBros

As an example of what I'm referring to, for those of you that have never heard of those videos of TheFineBros, I thought that their "Teens react to Nirvana." video would be a perfect example of what I'm talking about, just with Nine Inch Nails instead. They also had an "Elders react to Eminem." video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPbHUZQ-VE

nooneimportant
12-16-2014, 08:46 AM
The version of La Mer on AATCHB is one of the greatest things Trent has ever done. There's alot of good things he has done, but that version of La Mer is probably in my Top 5 or Top 10. Perfect.

pinata89
12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Beardy interview: http://youtu.be/zYKHkXMEczQ

Miss that hair and beard.

Halo Infinity
12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Everything might was well be my holiday jam. It turns out that I love listening to Everything on/around Thanksgiving and Christmas. :)

The_Prowler
12-17-2014, 02:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPbHUZQ-VE
That was a hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I like those kids :D

Charmingly Miserable
12-18-2014, 12:05 AM
When I teach high schoolers, they often ask me what kind of music I listen to. When I say NIN, they say, "Oh, my dad listens to Nine Inch Nails!!!" I'm unsure if that was a compliment or a diss. Since when did NIN become dad rock?

sheepdean
12-18-2014, 12:12 AM
When I teach high schoolers, they often ask me what kind of music I listen to. When I say NIN, they say, "Oh, my dad listens to Nine Inch Nails!!!" I'm unsure if that was a compliment or a diss. Since when did NIN become dad rock?
TR has two kids, pretty sure if it wasn't dad rock already, it became it once Lazarus was born.

allegro
12-18-2014, 12:42 AM
The first NIN album was released 25 years ago so that spans 2 generations, at least. TDS was released before your high school students were born.

cashpiles (closed)
12-18-2014, 04:54 AM
I am listening to Appendage at a very low volume... and it seems like there might be a layer under the main vocals of "never be enough" where's he also whispering "never be alone" "never be alone" "never be home"....

Also... does he yell "I'm going downtown!!" over and over near the end?

Vertigo
12-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Sounds like "I am gobbling down nuts" to me (which fits "Never be enough to fill me up" quite nicely).

Halo Infinity
12-18-2014, 03:10 PM
This topic has always interested me no matter what band it was. And as mentioned, it's always best to consider the year the debut album was released. And from what I've noticed, it seems like the majority of NIN's youngest fans were born in the late 1980s and early 1990s these days, especially since With Teeth came out. (I could very well fall into that category since I was born in late 1985.) And while they're out there, as there's always exceptions, I can hardly find any NIN fans born in the mid 1990s and later.

I also recall posting about this a while back too.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/733-Random-NIN-Questions?p=155377#post155377

And also here, in a way.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2969-How-old-were-you-when-Pretty-Hate-Machine-came-out

Vertigo
12-18-2014, 03:35 PM
To be fair, mid-1990s and younger means teenagers (or less). NIN certainly wasn't my sort of listening as a teen, and Hesitation Marks was an album that's about looking back on your life experience - could you really expect a youngster to relate to that?
I think NIN plays to an older demographic these days, even if you discount the established listener base.

Halo Infinity
12-18-2014, 11:24 PM
While I love the entire video, I also love that fucking shriek, howl, whatever it is on the 4:09-4:14 mark of Ringfinger live here. What a great way to close the song, which is why I hope to see it live some day, even if that might never happen. (And yes, I know that it won't be exactly the same at all times even if it did, but still.) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJOtp2fmro

Ryan
12-19-2014, 05:09 AM
While I love the entire video, I also love that fucking shriek, howl, whatever it is on the 4:09-4:14 mark of Ringfinger live here. What a great way to close the song, which is why I hope to see it live some day, even if that might never happen. (And yes, I know that it won't be exactly the same at all times even if it did, but still.) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJOtp2fmro

Dear Trent,

PHM Live 2015 plz.

Edo
12-19-2014, 05:31 AM
To be fair, mid-1990s and younger means teenagers (or less). NIN certainly wasn't my sort of listening as a teen, and Hesitation Marks was an album that's about looking back on your life experience - could you really expect a youngster to relate to that?
I think NIN plays to an older demographic these days, even if you discount the established listener base.

I was surprised to find many teenage NIN fans on Tumblr. Even though a lot of them seem to mentally live in NIN's 90s era because they find it more relatable, I suppose? Still, there may be a new generation of lifelong fans in the making...

seasonsinthesky
12-19-2014, 07:38 AM
the usual assumption is "going down fast​"

sick among the pure
12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
I am listening to Appendage at a very low volume... and it seems like there might be a layer under the main vocals of "never be enough" where's he also whispering "never be alone" "never be alone" "never be home"....

I always thought it was "Im going down hard" like crashing from a drug induced high. (Never be enough to fill me up being bout drug use)

Halo Infinity
12-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Dear Trent,

PHM Live 2015 plz.
I'm also greedy enough to wish for a Broken show to be attached to it too. At a total of 18-20 songs if you also throw in Now I'm Nothing and Get Down Make Love, it might just work. ;)

implanted_microchip
12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm also greedy enough to wish for a Broken show to be attached to it too. At a total of 18-20 songs if you also throw in Now I'm Nothing and Get Down Make Love, it might just work. ;)
Open with Now I'm Nothing, then PHM, then GDML as a main set end, then Pinion and all of Broken as an encore ending in Supernaut. The fact that I think that would be a great show is why I don't get to choose the setlists, I think Trent would kill himself if he had to sing That's What I Get again.

Halo Infinity
12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Because it's almost that time of the year again, and well, the NIN joke of the past 2 decades and 5 years. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

Dryalex12
12-20-2014, 04:02 PM
You know.......I actually used to hate NIN, really bad........I don't even know why I did, but i do remember telling my mom to change this crap around that time THTF first came around....then I listened to hurt.........

Volband
12-22-2014, 02:35 PM
You know.......I actually used to hate NIN, really bad........I don't even know why I did, but i do remember telling my mom to change this crap around that time THTF first came around....then I listened to hurt.........
So that's why every NIN-setlist ever starts with Hurt being on it. Thanks a lot!

pwing47
12-23-2014, 07:42 PM
It baffles me that artists like Trent can craft an album like The Fragile with so much complexity both in terms of layered music and in meaning that can evolve with you over time. I've literally heard some of these songs hundreds -- maybe closer to thousands -- of times.

Yet there are still subtleties to pick up on and elements buried so deeply that it can encourage one to switch up equipment (the actual format, types of headphones, types of speakers; heck, even sitting closer to or further away from the sound). It's exciting knowing that if we're lucky we'll someday ("soon," I'd suppose) have a version with 6 discrete channels and quite certainly many more years of enjoying the album in a new way.

Anyway, others on this board have expressed the same sentiment elsewhere, so I won't ramble too much further. However, does anyone remember if there are interviews where Trent specifically discusses his work, process, and/or mindset while putting together the sounds and pieces of The Fragile?

Edo
12-23-2014, 10:17 PM
However, does anyone remember if there are interviews where Trent specifically discusses his work, process, and/or mindset while putting together the sounds and pieces of The Fragile?

Lots of interviews and stories from The Fragile era and later. The Fragility tour book (http://vk.com/doc-10464_189496898?dl=28aabb49a7217e1962), off the top of my head. Loving this album and totally obsessing over it, I'm thinking of pulling all the scattered infobits into one place (assuming no one's done that yet... aside from nin.wiki, of course). The making of The Fragile is not a happy story (http://goo.gl/laeg6W) but a fascinating one.

Dryalex12
12-23-2014, 10:24 PM
I dont know why this took me so long to figure that the still version of TDTWWA basically the quiet mix, just turned down to eb instead of E

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-23-2014, 11:06 PM
The making of The Fragile is not a happy story (http://goo.gl/laeg6W) but a fascinating one.
That speech still makes my neck hairs stand on end. The highlight of my live NIN experiences … and La Mer has never sounded better to me than it did that night.

pwing47
12-24-2014, 09:21 AM
The making of The Fragile is not a happy story (http://goo.gl/laeg6W) but a fascinating one.

Thanks for sharing that. I've seen it before but must've forgotten about it for awhile. Powerful stuff, especially given the beauty of the song. I think I would have been in tears if I had heard him give that speech live.

nooneimportant
12-25-2014, 04:47 PM
"Adrift and At Peace" just feels like a Christmas song to me, except it's not a Christmas song and I listen to it whenever but man it really works for this time of year. It's weird.

L'Acephale
12-25-2014, 06:13 PM
*double post, please delete*

L'Acephale
12-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Nine Inch Nails have become extremely generic to me, especially the deeper I get into pre-Skinny Puppy industrial music (Metal Machine Music, Throbbing Gristle, whatever).

This is not a problem I have with Manson, whose style has always been a little of this, a little of that; or the Germans - Nitzer Ebb, KMFDM, and so on, who have always had a very specific, national language for industrial music; or even the more extreme industrial metal acts like The Kovenant.

But since rehab, Trent's albums all basically sound the same to me. Year Zero was the most venturesome with the inclusion of the glitchtech elements, but that was present only on about a third of the record, the rest being very conservative, midtempo rock, strictly middle-of-the-road stuff.

The three other records since 2005 are much worse.

You could mix them together into a shuffled playlist and I would have a Hell of a time telling you which song came from what album. It's all incredibly safe and bland, nothing to alarm the high art critics who Trent so likes to court.

At least it's better than How To Destroy Angels, though. The amount of time and money syphoned into that project depresses me. There are lots of great industrial. rock bands with female leads on them: Ego Likeness comes to mind immediately, as do Mankind Is Obsolete and even Emilie Autumn. How To Destroy Angels is not one of them.

The whole subject depresses me, for that matter. I made the comparison before and will do so again: Trent's newer material sounds increasingly like Gravity Kills with more production and less heart.

I'm not asking, as I'll probably be accused of, for another vitriolic release like Broken. Quite the opposite: if Trent wrote and released a single album-length movement for strings, I would have a great deal of respect for that. Anything, really, but for more tepid midtempo Wax Trax knockoffs.

sheepdean
12-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Nine Inch Nails have become extremely generic to me, especially the deeper I get into pre-Skinny Puppy industrial music (Metal Machine Music, Throbbing Gristle, whatever).

This is not a problem I have with Manson, whose style has always been a little of this, a little of that; or the Germans - Nitzer Ebb, KMFDM, and so on, who have always had a very specific, national language for industrial music; or even the more extreme industrial metal acts like The Kovenant.

But since rehab, Trent's albums all basically sound the same to me. Year Zero was the most venturesome with the inclusion of the glitchtech elements, but that was present only on about a third of the record, the rest being very conservative, midtempo rock, strictly middle-of-the-road stuff.

The three other records since 2005 are much worse.

You could mix them together into a shuffled playlist and I would have a Hell of a time telling you which song came from what album. It's all incredibly safe and bland, nothing to alarm the high art critics who Trent so likes to court.

At least it's better than How To Destroy Angels, though. The amount of time and money syphoned into that project depresses me. There are lots of great industrial. rock bands with female leads on them: Ego Likeness comes to mind immediately, as do Mankind Is Obsolete and even Emilie Autumn. How To Destroy Angels is not one of them.

The whole subject depresses me. I made the comparison before and will do so again: Trent's newer material sounds increasingly like Gravity Kills with more production and less heart.

If you're comparing NIN to industrial music, then it should be anything BUT generic, as nin is totally not industrial
Also Ghosts is a thing, all the albums hardly sound the same
HTDA are not an industrial band. Or a rock band. So, again, comparing apples to oranges. Not to mention ... it's a band, not a project. And it's not just Trent.

Basically your post boils down to "I don't like NIN". Which is fine to have as an opinion, I don't like the Beatles. But I wouldn't post on a Beatles forum either.

L'Acephale
12-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Let's not kid ourselves: NIN is an industrial rock act. What that means anymore I might not be able to tell you, but it's like pornography - I know it when I hear it. 90% of my problem with NIN musically is that it's all variations on that theme, actually, nothing too far removed from The Downward Spiral except less angry and oh, we got our old cover artist back, that's nice dear, have some tea.

And I LOVE NIN. The Fragile is the best pop album of the 1990s. What I do not like is neo-NIN.

Vertigo
12-25-2014, 07:46 PM
How exactly is NIN still (if ever) industrial? They barely even use prominent sampling anymore. If drum machines, synthesisers and a little vox reverb are all it takes to be industrial, then so is every modern non-country pop artist.

Also, can't begin to understand how WT, YZ and HM can sound the same to anyone. Where are the sledgehammer Grohl drums and ultra-crisp Sound City board on the latter two? Where are the mad glitch synth solos on the two autobiographical ones? Where are the virtuoso bass and guitar guest performances on the first two? Not to mention that each has a distinct concept.

sheepdean
12-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Let's not kid ourselves: NIN is an industrial rock act. What that means anymore I might not be able to tell you, but it's like pornography - I know it when I hear it. 90% of my problem with NIN musically is that it's all variations on that theme, actually, nothing too far removed from The Downward Spiral except less angry and oh, we got our old cover artist back, that's nice dear, have some tea.

And I LOVE NIN. The Fragile is the best pop album of the 1990s. What I do not like is neo-NIN.
That's like saying I'm sure Bob Dylan is metal because I just KNOW he is. And yeah, he's less angry, he's sober, not trying to kill himself, married with kids, his shit's gonna sound less "just do it" and more "discipline".

And The Fragile is a pop album, but NIN is industrial? I'll concede NIN's a fairly pop act, with PHM, With Teeth and The Slip all having heavy pop-formulas, but aside from Ghosts, TF is the LEAST poppy album.

L'Acephale
12-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I mentioned the glitch elements on Year Zero as being the most adventuroous Trent's been in a long time, actually. I also mentioned that it was really present on about a third of the songs on the record, and then only sparingly - enough to justifiably say "this record sounds like nothing else I've ever done" while still pretty much sounding like he always has.

The rest are basically superficial stylistic choices. With_Teeth might be "NIN's lo-fi record", but then what is The Slip? Hesitation Marks is a much more aurally polished record than either, but the songwriting basically has not moved an inch, or, if it has, it's gotten worse (hello, "Everything", I am "Disappointed" in you).

The thing with NIN being all Trent, all the time is that it's a double-edged sword. If Al wants to take a break from releasing half-assed thrash metal records, he can just hire another band and jump right into From Beer To Eternity, or Manson can hire Skold to produce an Eat Me, Drink Me that alienates two-thirds of his faanbase, or Maynard can hook up with whatever side project he's focused on at the time.

Trent can't do that. He's basically backed himself into a corner where the lion's share of a Nails album has to be written by him. But if he's not improving as an artist, that takes a big chunk out of what NIN is.

And yeah, they're industrial rock. It's a liberal usage of the term, but really. 90% of the old Wax Trax warhorses didn't use samples any more than TRez does, and none of them flinched at the designation. Trent isn't too good to be an industrial rock musician.

EDIT: It's ALL pop. If it isn't either classical or obscurantist, it's pop music. And to my mind, The Fragile is the best pop album of that decade, rivaled perhaps only by Sinead O'Connor's debut The Lion And The Cobra. The problem with Trent, in my ears, is that he's nowhere near that good anymore - his music isn't good anymore. Sinead is still batshit, but also still viable artistically.

EDIT TWO: Okay, second-best. Relistening to "Troy" and it's definitely better than anything on The Fragile. Still a close-run thing, though.

sheepdean
12-25-2014, 08:42 PM
You don't know what genres are, do you

And what's your take on Ghosts

(and it's not about being "too good" to be industrial, I love industrial, it's that he's simply not. Yes, parts of TDS, Broken and of course Theme for Tetsuo carry the hallmarks, but nothing on the whole does, because NIN's no industrial. But they are funky)

L'Acephale
12-25-2014, 08:52 PM
About two-thirds solid, one-third dreck. I find little to none of it tedious, like I do Hesitation Marks: I find it all either excellent ("I Ghosts 4", which reminds me of the theme to 28 Days Later) or laughably bad (the generic blip music of "II Ghosts 9" or the lame bass funk of "III Ghosts 8").

Decidedly superior to any of the soundtrack work I've listened to (GWTDT and TSN).

GlitchyFlame
12-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Whoever calls Nine Inch Nails an industrial band either has no idea what industrial is, or are hearing impaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNiXrSH0t4
This is industrial.

ATLITW is not.

Halo Infinity
12-25-2014, 11:31 PM
"Adrift and At Peace" just feels like a Christmas song to me, except it's not a Christmas song and I listen to it whenever but man it really works for this time of year. It's weird.
I also find myself feeling that way about other songs as well, regardless of the lyrics, and also regardless of the fact that they aren't Christmas songs. Sometimes some of the piano sounds and tambourine sounds do it for me too. For some few examples, this is what came to mind, and I could see what you mean in a way when you were referring to Adrift and At Peace. It also goes with the imagery to me as well as the winter vibe itself.

A Warm Place
La Mer
The Great Collapse
All The Love In The World
Every Day Is Exactly The Same
Ghosts IV - 29
Everything

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-26-2014, 12:28 AM
I can't think "Nine Inch Nails Christmas album" without giggling.

pwing47
12-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I can't think "Nine Inch Nails Christmas album" without giggling.

Made me think of something wonderful I saw a couple weeks ago.
http://bit.ly/1JTJecO

Halo Infinity
12-26-2014, 02:57 PM
This is one of those random NIN thoughts that feels like a NIN confession, but I think I'd still love an entire album set to the sounds and moods of Get Down Make Love, Physical (You're So), Kinda I Want To, The Only Time, Ringfinger, Closer and The Perfect Drug, even if it were to be done just for kicks.

L'Acephale
12-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Whoever calls Nine Inch Nails an industrial band either has no idea what industrial is, or are hearing impaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNiXrSH0t4
This is industrial.

ATLITW is not.

So, question:

Is Gravity Kills, generic and intolerable as they are, industrial?

My answer: yes, and they have never claimed otherwise. And as NIN has sounded identical to their brand of safe, formulaic industrial rock since 2005, so is Trent.

Demogorgon
12-27-2014, 07:38 AM
So are you just going to jump into a whole bunch of threads and go on a "badmouth Trent" spree? Cuz we already have a Bill Pulsipher.

Space Suicide
12-27-2014, 10:42 AM
So are you just going to jump into a whole bunch of threads and go on a "badmouth Trent" spree? Cuz we already have a Bill Pulsipher.

I know, right? :p

I think based on this thread and the Marilyn Manson thread you've pretty much covered you think his music is a boring hodge podge and he's a revolting human being. Ok, get off the one trick pony. You surely listen to or hate other artists I'm sure.

FernandoDante
12-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Whenever Richard Patrick is asked about his time with NIN, he makes it as clear as possible that those days are behind him, and that he's not living in the past.

Then he keeps tagging Trent Reznor on Instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/xIOo-qhWtO/

fillow
12-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Whenever Richard Patrick is asked about his time with NIN, he makes it as clear as possible that those days are behind him, and that he's not living in the past.

Well yes, and whenever Filter plays a show he never fails to mention NIN or Trent a couple of times (usually before HMNS or Jurassitol)

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Tambourine of the Gods.

m15a
12-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Well, sure. I wouldn't want some random people to ask me about my time in high school, but I'll admit that people I knew then still exist.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Well, sure. I wouldn't want some random people to ask me about my time in high school, but I'll admit that people I knew then still exist.
I admit nothing.

Charmingly Miserable
12-27-2014, 09:41 PM
I wonder what Trent got for Xmas?

marodi
12-27-2014, 10:32 PM

We're making progress about the background story of "Piggy". We have Richard's side. All we need now is a brave soul to get TR to confirm it. Or deny it.

I've never been able to listen to "Piggy" without picturing Rich Patrick anyway.

nooneimportant
12-27-2014, 11:25 PM
I realized that while I first decided to listen to NIN in 2008, I think I remember hearing Into The Void on MTV sometime in 2000 when I was 10. It may have been on True Life: I'm a Backyard Wrestler. The song sounds very familiar, almost nostalgic as if I heard it but I have no true recollection of it. I watched MTV alot back in the day and I was big into Hip-Hop/R&B at the time. I probably would have liked NIN given that there's alot of Hip-Hop influence in some of PHM and The Fragile.

Halo Infinity
12-28-2014, 12:29 AM
So, question:

Is Gravity Kills, generic and intolerable as they are, industrial?

My answer: yes, and they have never claimed otherwise. And as NIN has sounded identical to their brand of safe, formulaic industrial rock since 2005, so is Trent.
I really am genuinely curious right now. Isn't that also your same exact opinion for The Slip and Hesitation Marks?

And assuming that you are in fact The Overman from Provider Module, you at least liked Year Zero and Ghosts I-IV, right?

I just remember you liking Year Zero the most out of everything else between With Teeth and Hesitation Marks, and that Ghosts I-IV seemed to be somewhat likeable and tolerable, and at least mostly okay to you at the very least. I also remember you liking Hesitation Marks more than The Slip, but you also seemed to find it bland and redundant as well. I think you also said that it ("Neo-NIN") was sanitized for the masses, if I'm not mistaken?

pwing47
12-28-2014, 01:17 AM
We're making progress about the background story of "Piggy". We have Richard's side. All we need now is a brave soul to get TR to confirm it. Or deny it.

I've never been able to listen to "Piggy" without picturing Rich Patrick anyway.

In the comments he mentions maybe putting out a book of some sort chronicling the era. That would be interesting.

And I think his nickname came up during one of the Underneath It All podcasts earlier in the year when they interviewed Richard. Can't really remember what he said beyond mentioning the name, but that rang a bell. I'll have to go back and listen to that again sometime.

Speaking of which, eversonpoe, you were involved with that, right? You guys really should try to revive that podcast when you're all able. I was still going strong with a Tension high when that started, and listening to those episodes at work was just great :)

Edo
12-28-2014, 05:48 AM
In the comments he mentions maybe putting out a book of some sort chronicling the era. That would be interesting.

Considering Trent's past experience with friends' autobiographies... and Richard's general talkativeness... I very, very much hope this isn't a bad idea. :rolleyes:

FernandoDante
12-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Considering Trent's past experience with friends' autobiographies... and Richard's general talkativeness... I very, very much hope this isn't a bad idea. :rolleyes:
Whatever Trent says, it'll be on a sticker on the cover of the book.

m15a
12-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Whatever Trent says, it'll be on a sticker on the cover of the book.

And on Spin's "25 Most Memorable Quotes for 2015". ;)

Halo Infinity
12-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Whenever I'm in the mood, Black Noise really does blow my mind in a "To be continued..." kind of way, even though I still wished that it at least 2 to 4 minutes longer. It sounds like a character in a movie or a video game that is trapped, and is about to fight, or get killed or getting transformed into an evil entity while having to battle itself and its allies prior to the sequel. Either way, it certainly also fits into the line "Came Back Haunted". Even though the same can sort of be said for Demon Seed, but those sounds near the end really fill me with suspense in a Help Me I Am In Hell kind of way whenever I think about it, and an even more wilder, heavier and darker version of Even Deeper. If it were longer, it would've been like another Ripe (With Decay) to me, which also gave me that kind of vibe as well. That resulting into With Teeth feeling like a very refreshing continuation with All The Love In The World as an opener. (I tend to look at NIN albums that way.)

It got me to picture an evil robot/entity walking up to the character, or the bad parts of The Becoming taking over, with the "ghosts of who he was" (Non-Entity & Find My Way) getting reading to latch onto him and control him as Mr Self Destruct's attempt to return looms over him to threaten and provoke him. Not to say that there is a "Presence" in Hesitation Marks as the "Satellite" that has watched him and still watches him, or maybe there is, but it certainly got me to imagine it that way, regardless. And well yeah, it's just my random imagination altogether anyway, as it also helped make Hesitation Marks an even more interesting trip for me. It makes me wonder if that's why he showed Broken on cassette when he was recording Hesitation Marks, since The Eater Of Dreams gets me hyped in a Pinion sort of way too, aside from 999,999 that is.

Halo Infinity
12-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Even though this was discussed since Copy Of A leaked, I still read it as Copy Of A as in the letter A and not the word A. I still end up doing that in spite of being completely aware of the chorus.

As for Everything, I could see how it can also be not as upbeat and happy as it might sound. As from how the chorus sounds, the word survive when compared to live isn't as fulfilled or bright. I was just reminded me of that when I was thinking about the backlash Everything got at first.

butter_hole
12-28-2014, 11:27 PM

Tagging TR with a photo of him is completely understandable but the Mariqueen one is a bit strange...

artdeco
12-29-2014, 04:40 AM

I could have sworn that there was an interview with TR (perhaps the old "Disturbed" interview which I can't seem to find anymore) where Trent said something to the effect of "He (Richard) will think it's about him but it's not" and then implied that it was a love song for an ex. Can't be sure though.

eversonpoe
12-29-2014, 08:17 AM
And I think his nickname came up during one of the Underneath It All podcasts earlier in the year when they interviewed Richard. Can't really remember what he said beyond mentioning the name, but that rang a bell. I'll have to go back and listen to that again sometime.

Speaking of which, @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) , you were involved with that, right? You guys really should try to revive that podcast when you're all able. I was still going strong with a Tension high when that started, and listening to those episodes at work was just great :)

believe me, i'd LOVE to get back to it. not sure what's going on at this point :/

anyway, the story is that they saw skinny puppy play a song wherein ogre says "piggy" in a kind of funny voice, and richard did an impression of it that cracked trent up, so he started calling rich "piggy" as an endearing nickname.

marodi
12-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Many thanks everyone for your input.

And it's very possible that Trent has already spoken about Piggy in the past and he does have a tendency to say "it's not about what you think it is".

Cryptic Trent is cryptic. :p

Inkė
12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I just noticed that most of NIN albums' opening songs are in the same key : Wish, Mr Self Destruct, Somewhat Damaged, Hyperpower isn't but TBOTE is, and 1,000,000. By the way, Love is Not Enough (which opens BYIT) and Hand Cover Bruise (Social Network) are too. I just didn't find out which key it is.

Halo Infinity
12-30-2014, 04:01 PM
pwing47 - I really like your avatar, as I always had Super Mario Bros. 3 in mind. I picture you putting a P-Wing on as your avatar before, and I also think that the Hesitation Marks logo is a very nice touch. Ah, to think that Pretty Hate Machine was only a few months old when it came out in North America. :)

Oh, and in case you're still a Mario fan, the catch-all Mario thread I've made is right this way. :)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3375-Mario

Halo Infinity
12-30-2014, 04:27 PM
After being aware that Michael means "Who is like God?" for quite some time, it makes the thought about the comments about "Trent is God!" as catchphrase in jest a little bit more amusing. :p

http://www.behindthename.com/name/michael

I even still forget that his real first name is Michael, which made me remind myself that he would've not been addressed as Trent when he was growing up. And while I like that name, Trent just looked and sounded a bit cooler to me.

pwing47
12-30-2014, 04:41 PM
@pwing47 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3987) - I really like your avatar, as I always had Super Mario Bros. 3 in mind. I picture you putting a P-Wing on as your avatar before, and I also think that the Hesitation Marks logo is a very nice touch.

Oh, and in case you're still a Mario fan, the catch-all Mario thread I've made is right this way. :)

Thanks a lot, Kris! Even though I'm not as active as a lot of others here, the past couple months I've begun to feel more and more at home on ETS. It was time to join the ranks as a custom avatar wielder :D

Yep, SMB3 was the inspiration; one of my fav games of all time (good to know there are fellow fans, and I will definitely hop over to that thread sometime soon!). A group of friends I run with nicknamed me P-Wing many years ago, and I still use it as an online name sometimes. I figured what better way to merge the worlds of Mario, Trent, and my own identity than by incorporating a NIN logo onto an 8-bit power-up :)

Ah, to think that Pretty Hate Machine was only a few months old when it came out in North America. :)

Crazy. Sadly, I was only about 1 for both of these occurrences. Many times I wish I had been older and able to have taken part in a lot of the early NIN years/tours, but at the same time I feel like I discovered (and also re-discovered several years later) NIN at just the right time in my life.

Broadbent
12-30-2014, 04:42 PM
I just noticed that most of NIN albums' opening songs are in the same key : Wish, Mr Self Destruct, Somewhat Damaged, Hyperpower isn't but TBOTE is, and 1,000,000. By the way, Love is Not Enough (which opens BYIT) and Hand Cover Bruise (Social Network) are too. I just didn't find out which key it is.

D minor.... for the most part

L'Acephale
01-02-2015, 11:36 PM
I really am genuinely curious right now. Isn't that also your same exact opinion for The Slip and Hesitation Marks?

And assuming that you are in fact The Overman from Provider Module, you at least liked Year Zero and Ghosts I-IV, right?

I just remember you liking Year Zero the most out of everything else
between With Teeth and Hesitation Marks, and that Ghosts I-IV seemed to be somewhat likeable and tolerable, and at least mostly okay to you at the very least. I also
remember you liking Hesitation
Marks more than The Slip, but you also seemed to find it bland and redundant as well. I think you also said that it ("Neo-NIN") was sanitized for the masses, if I'm not mistaken?

My opinion is that YT and the Ghosts efforts are the only
recent NIN material worth more than
a 5/10, yes. I also think that artists like Sister Machine Gun, Filter, and yes, Marilyn Manson, have generally been far better than latter-day NIN.

This means - gasp, shock and horror - that I think Eat Me, Drink Me is a better album altogether than The Slip. It also means - groan, shock and awe - that Ministry's Relapse eats Hesitation Marks for breakfast.

The safe, couth, politically correct opinion? No, but fuck that. It's my opinion.

Trent Reznor has not produced worthy music since 2007, and no great music since 1999.

WorzelG
01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
My opinion is that YT and the Ghosts efforts are the only
recent NIN material worth more than
a 5/10, yes. I also think that artists like Sister Machine Gun, Filter, and yes, Marilyn Manson, have generally been far better than latter-day NIN.

This means - gasp, shock and horror - that I think Eat Me, Drink Me is a better album altogether than The Slip. It also means - groan, shock and awe - that Ministry's Relapse eats Hesitation Marks for breakfast.

The safe, couth, politically correct opinion? No, but fuck that. It's my opinion.

Trent Reznor has not produced worthy music since 2007, and no great music since 1999.
So Trent causing Al Jourgenson to relapse and 'abandoning' him - where did that come from? You talk a bunch of shit, state you're 'leaving the forum' once people call you out on it then try to sneak back in like nothing had happened

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 01:45 AM
I fully expected to be banned after giving my legitimate opinion of Trent "Two Liter" Reznor.

WorzelG
01-03-2015, 01:54 AM
Obviously not the 'Internet tough guy' you thought you were then

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 02:00 AM
Huh?

ITGs never expect to be banned. And ETS has a reputation as being the most cloistered ex-Nothing fansite in existence...

EDIT: You can facepalm me all you like. It just proves my point: hardcore NIN fans are utterly unquestioning.

WorzelG
01-03-2015, 02:19 AM
Huh?

ITGs never expect to be banned. And ETS has a reputation as being the most cloistered ex-Nothing fansite in existence...

EDIT: You can facepalm me all you like. It just proves my point: hardcore NIN fans are utterly unquestioning.
Yeah, and the hardcore folks at Provider Module aren't?

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 02:27 AM
What about Provider Module?

I wish I could talk about The Pale Emperor there right now.

But I wouldn't get shot down there if I wanted to say, say, Marilyn Manson sucks now (just look at the posting career of one of your own alumni there, "JT".). I'd be in a minority, but I could still safely voice my opinion.

But if I happen tp think Trent has been utterly washed up since With_Teeth...

WorzelG
01-03-2015, 02:34 AM
What about Provider Module?

I wish I could talk about The Pale Emperor there right now.

But I wouldn't get shot down there if I wanted to say, say, Marilyn Manson sucks now (just look at the posting career of one of your own alumni there, "JT".). I'd be in a minority, but I could still safely voice my opinion.

But if I happen tp think Trent has been utterly washed up since With_Teeth...
But people have said that sort of thing here and not got banned? 'safely' voice my opinion? It's the Internet FFS, it's all just words. I'm sorry but you're the one who takes his own opinion far too seriously

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 02:47 AM
Sure.

I think everythong after Year Zero is bad. I think NIN now sounds like a latter-day Gravity Kills cover band.

Prove me wrong, motherfuckers.

Halo Infinity
01-03-2015, 03:03 AM
Sure.

I think everythong after Year Zero is bad. I think NIN now sounds like a latter-day Gravity Kills cover band.

Didn't you also think that With Teeth was bad too?

I also don't think there were any actual problems with anybody actually disliking any Nine Inch Nails albums. There are some fans here that don't like Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV, The Slip and Hesitation Marks and it was okay for them to express those opinions.

As for proving you wrong, I just thought it's a simple matter of what you like or dislike.

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 03:11 AM
It's not a matter of thinking that it's bad: it's a matter of thinking that it's a rip-off.

I live in Saint Louis, and I'm deeply involved in our scene. And a LOT of Saint Louisian fans are angry, because Gravity Kills are local heroes, and Trent has been ripping them off since With_Teeth. The airy, open guitars; the heavier base; the half-whispered vocals - post-rehab Trent stinks of Gravity Kills.

It'd be helpful if he recognized them officially.

WorzelG
01-03-2015, 03:15 AM
I wish I could facepalm myself for bothering to respond to an obvious troll

Halo Infinity
01-03-2015, 03:24 AM
It's not a matter of thinking that it's bad: it's a matter of thinking that it's a rip-off.
But in a way, you seem to be saying both, since being a rip-off would be bad, and you also said that everything after Year Zero was bad, yet you still like Ghosts I-IV?

I live in Saint Louis, and I'm deeply involved in our scene. And a LOT of Saint Louisian fans are angry, because Gravity Kills are local heroes, and Trent has been ripping them off since With_Teeth. The airy, open guitars; the heavier base; the half-whispered vocals - post-rehab Trent stinks of Gravity Kills.

It'd be helpful if he recognized them officially.
As for this part, I'm not really touching it because I haven't heard of Gravity Kills before. Which songs or albums can you recommend or provide as examples?

GlitchyFlame
01-03-2015, 03:31 AM
I hope to god that there are live drums on the new NIN record. The weakest part of HM for me was the constant
*kick*
*clap*
*kick*
*clap*
on every fucking song.

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 03:34 AM
http://youtu.be/Z8S0_DppB14

All I know is that NIN are deeply unpopular in the Saint Louis area since about 2007, because the perception is that Trent's been stealing from Gravity Kills since he's mellowed out.

I dunno whether that's true. I do know that Hesitation Marks sucked shit. I like neither Gravity Kills nor post-rehab Trent, so your mileage may vary.

Horican
01-03-2015, 04:07 AM
Gravity Kills are local heroes
WTF? Thats...sad

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 04:19 AM
I dunno. Don't they specialize in the very same brand of inoffensive, midtempo pseudoindustrial rock Trent does today? Like the elevator muzak on the downward trip to Hell?

What's so bad about that? You can enjoy both neo-NIN and Gravity Kills, even if you're a Christian conservative. Hesitation Marks was uniquely safe and generic, down to the artwork being a repetition of that from The Downward Spiral.

Soon enough, TRez will become Dimebag Darrell.

implanted_microchip
01-03-2015, 04:27 AM
I don't think anyone here really cares at all about how awful you think NIN is. It's one thing to say you don't like it, it's another to be constantly vitriolic and downright shitty about it. You've more than shared your thoughts.

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 04:43 AM
I am an automatic reflection of the Nine Inch Nails fanbase.

tony.parente
01-03-2015, 05:48 AM
http://youtu.be/Z8S0_DppB14

All I know is that NIN are deeply unpopular in the Saint Louis area since about 2007, because the perception is that Trent's been stealing from Gravity Kills since he's mellowed out.

I dunno whether that's true. I do know that Hesitation Marks sucked shit. I like neither Gravity Kills nor post-rehab Trent, so your mileage may vary.

1. There is no negative attitude towards trent or nine inch nails at all here in the saint louis area.
2. I'd say 50% of STL doesn't even know gravity kills is even local, if ANYONE was local heros here it would be the urge or story of the year.

That's so weird, how did that rumor even start lol

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 05:53 AM
It likely began when Poppy Trent began sounding indistinguishable from Gravity Kills.

And yeah, there's lots o' animosity here about it, not in the least among the band members themselves.

L'Acephale
01-03-2015, 06:07 AM
The original "Something I Can Never Have". And so, so much more powerful.

http://youtu.be/djr7fp_JxgA

Swans - "In My Garden"

icecream
01-03-2015, 09:38 AM
It likely began when Poppy Trent began sounding indistinguishable from Gravity Kills.

More like Gravity Kills sounds a lot like NIN... They put out their first album after PHM, Broken and TDS came out. I'll go out on a limb and say they were trying to sound like NIN and not the other way around. That's usually how it works. I can't think of any bands that try and sound like a band that doesn't have any material out. Plus, they were signed to TVT at one point as well. I wonder if they would have pushed the NIN sound on GK because TDS would have been really popular around the time of their first album. It's fine not to like the newer NIN, everyone can have their own opinion. But to suggest TR is ripping off a band that is ripping him off is stupid.

Demogorgon
01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I am an automatic reflection of the Nine Inch Nails fanbase.

Not really. you're an average douche with a strong opinion. it's not your opinion that makes you a douche, though. you're free to say and think whatever you want. but it's your tone and presentation that solidify that "I am a douche" total package. So instead of going thread by thread and trying your hardest to start an argument, you could dial down the shitty confrontational attitude just a tad and have some real discussion with people.

Pyract
01-03-2015, 11:13 AM

If you haven't liked nine inch nails since 2007, then why are you here today, on this NIN forum, in 2015? You're here for the sole purpose of starting arguments.

FULLMETAL
01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
I took my Mom to see the Grand Canyon over the Christmas holiday and we wound up at the Hermit's Rest gift shop. I was walking around looking for a postcard and enjoying the warm air when I looked up to see where it was coming from:

http://i.imgur.com/OHSzBYdl.jpg

This was the first time I saw one in person.

SM Rollinger
01-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Lolz at that man, the thought of TR stealing from Gravity Kills, none the less a song that was released in 1996, is funnier than when he was accused of stealing for Me, I'm Not from KMFDM.

That and I can think of 2 shows I have boots from that were recorded in St. Loius, in 2013 and 2008. If they are that unpopular, I dont think they would have been playing there.

Krazy
01-03-2015, 03:38 PM

I mean this sincerely, from the bottom of my cold black heart: go fuck your mother. Unless she's dead, then dig her up first.

Trolling is is one thing, suggesting murder is another level. You're a pathetic asshole.

screwdriver
01-03-2015, 03:52 PM
I dunno. Don't they specialize in the very same brand of inoffensive, midtempo pseudoindustrial rock Trent does today? Like the elevator muzak on the downward trip to Hell?

What's so bad about that? You can enjoy both neo-NIN and Gravity Kills, even if you're a Christian conservative. Hesitation Marks was uniquely safe and generic, down to the artwork being a repetition of that from The Downward Spiral.

I don't actually understand the comparison. was dime bag murdered because his style got derivative?

"uniquely … generic" is an awesome expression that I plan to use when I intend to be totally contradictory.

also, who really cares if christian conservatives can enjoy something? christian conservatives enjoy sex (based on the teen pregnancy numbers alone…), does that mean the rest of us can't? to prove… something?

Vertigo
01-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Have we ever actually had a troll banned on the new board?

Krazy
01-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Have we ever actually had a troll banned on the new board?

Yes, a few at least:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3605-Post-Hesitation-Marks-Nine-Inch-Nails-Music-Speculation

Nowhere near the ass-hattery that the current one has though. I'm guessing L'Awutever isn't going to be a user much longer, expect a second account to pop up once he's banned.

Ryan
01-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Yes, a few at least:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3605-Post-Hesitation-Marks-Nine-Inch-Nails-Music-Speculation

Nowhere near the ass-hattery that the current one has though. I'm guessing L'Awutever isn't going to be a user much longer, expect a second account to pop up once he's banned.

Why did the creator of that thread get banned?

Ryan
01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Sure.

What's wrong with every thong? They look great on the ladies!

Krazy
01-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Why did the creator of that thread get banned?

I think it was a duplicate account from someone that got banned. Emphasis on "I think".

One of the mods would know better than me though or maybe someone who followed it closer than I did.

Krazy
01-03-2015, 04:52 PM
What's wrong with every thong? They look great on the ladies!

"I have TRIIIEED.... every thong..."

Ryan
01-03-2015, 04:53 PM
I think it was a duplicate account from someone that got banned. Emphasis on "I think".

One of the mods would know better than me though or maybe someone who followed it closer than I did.

Ah, ok.

Appropriately enough, I'm sitting on the toilet finishing up doing a crap and responding to that other troll above, so it's all good. That Dimebag comment was fucked up.

Krazy
01-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Appropriately enough, I'm sitting on the toilet finishing up doing a crap and responding to that other troll above,

As Someone who suffers from IBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome), I've made many a posts while on the crapper.

Ryan
01-03-2015, 05:01 PM
As Someone who suffers from IBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome), I've made many a posts while on the crapper.

Typical Echoing The Sound conversations, ladies and gentlemen.

Inkė
01-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I think Me I'm Not should be played with live drums. It would be a nice surprise and would add some strength to the song.

Halo Infinity
01-03-2015, 07:46 PM
This is just the Nintendo fan in me speaking, but I've noticed that a lot of Nine Inch Nails songs from The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV get me to picture The Legend of Zelda and Metroid. Star Fox and F-Zero sometimes come to mind, but those franchises come to mind the most. A montage of those franchises to any songs from those albums would be pretty cool and entertaining in my opinion. Those are also not the only NIN albums that got me to do that either, but it has happened the most with those two.

pwing47
01-03-2015, 09:17 PM
This is just the Nintendo fan in me speaking, but I've noticed that a lot of Nine Inch Nails songs from The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV get me to picture The Legend of Zelda and Metroid.

This isn't related to any specific sounds or anything, but it made me think about how Reptile will always have a strange -- and oddly specific -- association with the Goron City level in Legend of Zelda. The first time I ever heard the song it was while playing Ocarina of Time when I was like 12, or something. Bizarre how memories/connections stick like that, even decades later.

(Hmm, guess I picked the right thread, cuz I suppose that's about as random of a NIN thought as one could have.)

Anyone else have weird, permanent associations like that with NIN songs? Not necessarily positive or negative memories, but more like the first time/place you ever heard certain tracks?

botley
01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Oh yes. I still have persistent associations whenever I hear certain tracks from The Fragile with some pretty vivid sense memories of my adolescence. Not just visuals, but tastes, smells, and tactile feelings as well.

sick among the pure
01-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I think Me I'm Not should be played with live drums. It would be a nice surprise and would add some strength to the song.

I would love to hear every song with live drums, that's part of why I love listening to bootlegs of shows I didn't attend, just to hear songs with them delicious live drums.

sweeterthan
01-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I took my Mom to see the Grand Canyon over the Christmas holiday and we wound up at the Hermit's Rest gift shop. I was walking around looking for a postcard and enjoying the warm air when I looked up to see where it was coming from:

http://i.imgur.com/OHSzBYdl.jpg

This was the first time I saw one in person.

The first time is always the best. You know they exist but when you see it in person, you feel like you've made some sort of amazing discovery.

Anyway, I'm going to go to the Manson boards and post about how I think he's a washed up douche bag. Seems productive and worthy of my time.

Pyract
01-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Anyway, I'm going to go to the Manson boards and post about how I think he's a washed up douche bag. Seems productive and worthy of my time.

Don't forget to mention that he's just a Stabbing Westward rip-off, who happen to be your town's local heroes.

ethan829
01-04-2015, 11:20 AM

Every forum needs its Bill.

Ryan
01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Every forum needs its Bill.

Just be careful not to post long enough to see yourself become the Billain.

botley
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
In Manson's case they would be Vorn Billain. Sorry, I'll find another thread to practice my Spoonerisms less susceptible to Facepalming.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2015, 07:30 PM
When I hear Nine Inch Nails, I don't feel alone. I feel connected. I feel like there's an entire world of people who understand and get it, who are able to find comfort and peace among it all, and that I can do it too. There have been genuine times in my life where listening to A Warm Place was the only thing that made me feel any sense of comfort, times where listening to Ruiner and The Becoming made me feel defiantly alive and like someone else had been there too. When I listen to Eraser and I can see that the man who screamed "Kill me" until it turned into pure static was able to recover and have a beautiful family and massively successful career and go from someone who the music industry treated as a teenage fad of the 90's to a man who is now in every article referred to as "Academy Award Winning Composer Trent Reznor" couldn't be more inspiring.
I've figured that I'd just take this to the Random NIN Thoughts thread. This is exactly the type of picture that came to mind when I read the words teenage fad of the 1990s. :)

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/wp-content/uploads/Nine-Inch-Nails-MTV-Raps-Card-1991.jpg

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-05-2015, 11:15 PM
oh my god lol

implanted_microchip
01-06-2015, 05:26 AM
I finally got a copy of the WITT 3 single and have the full set, and hearing Complications of the Flesh in a quality other than a shit compressed YT video is wrecking my brain right now. Of all the official remixes this one is so under-appreciated.

Khrz
01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Totally worth it, just because The Perfect Drug has a proper ending on it... It's just a few seconds of fade out longer, but damn did the abrupt Lost Highway edit frustrate me...

ryanmcfly
01-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Watched some videos from the 2009 tour and still wish I could have attended more than one show. Damn being in high school at the time. Would have loved to have gone to the LITS show in dallas too, that setlist was amazing.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Oh my. Was "T-Rez" an actual thing?

sweeterthan
01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Oh my. Was "T-Rez" an actual thing?

Before there was j-lo, there was T-Rez.

Halo Infinity
01-07-2015, 05:20 PM
This post also seems like it'll be better off left in the Random NIN Thoughts thread.

I was a big fan of With Teeth. My fandom dropped off after that. I still love the older albums, though.
I'm sorry for the late response, but it turns out that I was one album off. I actually thought that you would've loved Year Zero. What do you think of Year Zero as of now?

Dryalex12
01-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Man i just realized WITH THE TEETHUH is gonna be 10 years old this year

sheepdean
01-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Man i just realized WITH THE TEETHUH is gonna be 10 years old this year
Even better: NIN is 26 years old. So: ♪ twenty-six years on my way to hell ♪

Pillfred
01-08-2015, 01:29 AM
I lol' d. Well played sir.

howdidislipinto
01-08-2015, 03:09 AM
Ten years since "modern NIN." Guess that means I can't even call it that anymore. Also, 1997-2005 took WAY longer to pass than 2005-now. What the fuck, old age.

WorzelG
01-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Been enjoying watching this recording of a 1989 show in Newark, the recording is really great. Love the christmas lights thing they have going on for Something I Can Never Have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHN1zGAtD28

Charmingly Miserable
01-08-2015, 10:39 PM
I think if Trent was single, he would date Azealia Banks.

Ryan
01-09-2015, 06:35 AM
I think if Trent was single, he would date Azealia Banks.

lol, she's 23.

Charmingly Miserable
01-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Age is nothing but a number. She likes older white men.

implanted_microchip
01-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Trent's delivery on "And for what it is worth, I really used to believe . . ." on Getting Smaller is so on point, it's crazy. As a whole WT has some of his best vocal performances, there's this dirty rawness to a lot of it.

NotoriousTIMP
01-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Trent's delivery on "And for what it is worth, I really used to believe . . ." on Getting Smaller is so on point, it's crazy. As a whole WT has some of his best vocal performances, there's this dirty rawness to a lot of it.

I couldn't agree with you more....WT sits as my 2nd favorite album behind TF. TDS is a very very close 3rd....

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-09-2015, 11:38 PM
lol holy shit dude this looks rare.

Inkė
01-10-2015, 09:49 AM
I just suddendly realised that Hesitation Marks was more of an album made by a man in love than Welcome Oblivion. I mean, it's fucking obvious.

Or Welcome Oblivion is the sound, at the opposite, of a woman in love.

ok fuck me I'm high and I try to write in english

But it makes a huge lot of sense. Just LISTEN to a song from each, like How Long and All Time Low.

Honestly, in HM, Reznor looks like a bad-ass secret agent, attacked by a guy who creates hundreds of a copy of a copy of him, tries to locate his phone with satellites, cut him in two, running after him, and to cut short, Rez' is looking for various methods of escaping him. (hell, he his even angry at himself, in "Came Back Haunted"! Now that's a hell of a bad-ass!) And I won't dwell on all the time he has for his wife (All Time Low).
Meanwhile, Mariqueen spends her whole days at home, waiting for her husband, counting how long it is until he returns, mesuring narrowly the miles of space in between them, cleaning the parasites in the attic, wandering into their giant-ass manoir and still discovering new rooms (what the hell are these strings and this bag of stuff called fucking "attractors"?).

Both great albums of course.

neorev
01-10-2015, 12:14 PM
I just suddendly realised that Hesitation Marks was more of an album made by a man in love than Welcome Oblivion. I mean, it's fucking obvious.

But it makes a huge lot of sense. Just LISTEN to a song from each, like How Long and All Time Low.

Honestly, in HM, Reznor looks like a bad-ass secret agent, attacked by a guy who creates hundreds of a copy of a copy of him, tries to locate his phone with satellites, cut him in two, running after him, and to cut short, Rez' is looking for various methods of escaping him. (hell, he his even angry at himself, in "Came Back Haunted"! Now that's a hell of a bad-ass!) And I won't dwell on all the time he has for his wife (All Time Low).
Meanwhile, Mariqueen spends her whole days at home, waiting for her husband, counting how long it is until he returns, mesuring narrowly the miles of space in between them, cleaning the parasites in the attic, wandering into their giant-ass manoir and still discovering new rooms (what the hell are these strings and this bag of stuff called fucking "attractors"?).

http://cdn1.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/baby-gaping-in-terror.jpg

sheepdean
01-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Meanwhile, Mariqueen spends her whole days at home, waiting for her husband, counting how long it is until he returns, mesuring narrowly the miles of space in between them, cleaning the parasites in the attic, wandering into their giant-ass manoir and still discovering new rooms (what the hell are these strings and this bag of stuff called fucking "attractors"?)
Maybe cut back on what you're smoking

screwdriver
01-10-2015, 05:38 PM

I love this

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Before there was j-lo, there was T-Rez.
Huh. I figured it was just post-WT sarcasm.

Meanwhile, my brain is trying really hard to combine the first half of Eraser and Pharrell Williams' Happy.

Charmingly Miserable
01-11-2015, 04:05 PM
I wonder what Trent is gonna wear tonight for the Golden Globes. My bet is on black.

Krazy
01-11-2015, 04:22 PM
I wonder what Trent is gonna wear tonight for the Golden Globes. My bet is on black.

Right on cue...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/76ED1F07-C261-40F2-9BFA-49A470403E1A.png (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/76ED1F07-C261-40F2-9BFA-49A470403E1A.png.html)

Charmingly Miserable
01-11-2015, 04:25 PM
OMG So handsome! Getting a little matchy-matchy with MQ.

screwdriver
01-11-2015, 07:11 PM
not gonna lie, my wife is watching the GGs right now, and it sort of makes me hella sick to know that TR is there. that's my Bill moment of the day.

sweeterthan
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Boo. Maybe prince & trent will hang out.

Inkė
01-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Prince is high as fuck.

allegro
01-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Prince is high as fuck.

He doesn't do drugs, he's a Jehovah's Witness.

sweeterthan
01-12-2015, 07:18 AM
http://mobi.perezhilton.com/cocoperez/2015-01-11-golden-globes-2015-trent-reznor-mariqueen-maandig-red-carpet#.VLPJIni9LCQ

Deadpool
01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, I can cross this off my social media bucket list - Trent favorited one of my tweets this morning!!! :D

https://twitter.com/jimpenola/status/554649880573247491

implanted_microchip
01-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Every single time I hear the end portion of Ringfinger for the last few minutes I swear that "DJ noodling" sounds like it's saying "Domo arigato."

nooneimportant
01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
I had a really stupid dream that Trent performed a new remix of Piggy with NIN at the MTV Awards as a surprise to promote the new NIN SPECIAL album. I'm not sure what made it special, but that's what the album cover said.

gorast
01-14-2015, 10:03 PM
What makes it special is that it is entirely comprised of Piggy remixes, Things Falling Apart-​style.

EndlessLoveless
01-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Was playing GTA5 and had the classic rap station on. Westside Connection's "Bow Down" came on and made me crave to hear that whole album again. Completely forgot they 'sample' Hurt on "The Gangsta, The Killa and the Dope Dealer". From start to finish that is THE BEST classic rap album.

Oh and by the way, the beginning of "Mr Self Destruct", thats not from THX 1138. It sounds exactly like it but its really sampled from the annual NIN pizza party Trent and co. have every year. I was there and Trent got pissed I ate all the pepperoni and him and Josh Wink beat the shit out of me and recorded it. I will send an mp3 of me saying "uh...ah.....hoo, hoo" and you will be able to tell. Didnt get credit in the liner notes though so, yeah.