PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

fabripav
08-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Didn't they already rehearse for Tension?

fishtifer
08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwgIhDzlN4

Anybody know of a good way to save Vevo videos? My normal Youtube downloader doesn't work for Vevo videos and I want to watch this on my TV. If anybody already downloaded it and could send me a link or let me know what to download it with. I tried one Vevo downloader which turned out to be a fake and added toolbars to my internet explorer and firefox. Thanks!

slave2thewage
08-30-2013, 08:22 AM
I managed to download it with keepvid.com.

nowimdowninit
08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Didn't they already rehearse for Tension?

Yes, but they have time for a couple more weeks of rehearsal so they can really nail down "And All the Could Have Been" once and for all. :p

jessamineny
08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
That is probably the last post I would want to Facepalm. :::sigh:::

NotoriousTIMP
08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
After watching all of these promo videos for the festival shows I'm finding myself more and more excited for Tension 2013. I'm even going as far as thinking about adding Portland and Spokane to my itinerary! Hey johnbron, got any room for me to come hang out one night?

tapatalkin'

johnbron
08-30-2013, 11:15 AM
After watching all of these promo videos for the festival shows I'm finding myself more and more excited for Tension 2013. I'm even going as far as thinking about adding Portland and Spokane to my itinerary! Hey @johnbron (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5), got any room for me to come hang out one night?

tapatalkin'
I don't yet have a ticket but I do plan on (probably) going to the Portland show. Either way, if you're down here, we will hang out for sureeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

KarenLeslie
08-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I enjoyed the Vevo video, but I did kind of roll my eyes every time someone mentioned that TR was the "mastermind" or "genius" behind the operation. They must have said that like 5 or 6 times.

Granted, it's true, but is there really anyone watching this who doesn't already know who Reznor is?

NotoriousTIMP
08-30-2013, 11:25 AM
I look at it as a promo video for moment factory. They can show this video to non-nin fans and it will showcase how they can help produce a product that closely matches, if not exceeds, what the customer wants.

Im also pretty sure that the guys/gals at MF are big NIN fans so its inenvitable that they might come across as slight fanboys when they work with TR :)

tapatalkin'

NotoriousTIMP
08-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't yet have a ticket but I do plan on (probably) going to the Portland show. Either way, if you're down here, we will hang out for sureeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

Sweet, ill start to look for tickets here soon. Do we want floor or seats? I plan on recording the shows I go to so it doesnt matter to me :) im also taking Winny to see the show in Spokane which will mark her first time seeing nails let alone a rock show of this size :D

tapatalkin'

fabripav
08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Do you reckon they'll top 2 hours for Tension shows?

thatguymark
08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Looking at Moment Factory's website, they've done some pretty interesting stuff since LITS. I really dig this Pixel Rain effect they created for a Black Keys festival appearance. Something like this in an arena could be really unforgettable. Whatever's in store for us, we're getting close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLqdLzoCEY

ryanmcfly
08-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Do you reckon they'll top 2 hours for Tension shows?

An hour and fifty minutes minimum I think.

TheRealNs1
08-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Looking at Moment Factory's website, they've done some pretty interesting stuff since LITS. I really dig this Pixel Rain effect they created for a Black Keys festival appearance. Something like this in an arena could be really unforgettable. Whatever's in store for us, we're getting close.

I paid $80 bucks to see Black Keys and all I got was a fucking shiny disco ball.

johnbron
08-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Sweet, ill start to look for tickets here soon. Do we want floor or seats? I plan on recording the shows I go to so it doesnt matter to me :) im also taking Winny to see the show in Spokane which will mark her first time seeing nails let alone a rock show of this size :D

tapatalkin'
I still need to see if my girlfriend wants to go to the Portland show before I decide. I'm all about the floor! She'll be with me at the Seattle show for sure, putting off getting tickets for that one as well. Did you get floor or seats for Seattle?

TheBang
08-30-2013, 09:33 PM
There are no floor tickets left for Seattle. In fact, in the lower level, there are only 12 contiguous seats left. All the rest of the remaining seats are either singles in the lower level or seats in the back of the upper level.

NotoriousTIMP
08-31-2013, 09:10 AM
I still need to see if my girlfriend wants to go to the Portland show before I decide. I'm all about the floor! She'll be with me at the Seattle show for sure, putting off getting tickets for that one as well. Did you get floor or seats for Seattle?

Floor seats for Seattle and Vancouver. I most likely will get seats for Spokane as i would like to enjoy the visuals so im down for whatever in Portland :)

Sent from my LTE powered GS4!

fishtifer
08-31-2013, 03:33 PM
I managed to download it with keepvid.com.

Thanks, that worked! I'll add Keepvid to my favorites.

captainbeyond
08-31-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that the visual "climax' of the Tension tour will be during:

I Would For You / In Two / While I'm Still Here / Black Noise

Probably something magical will happen during the heavy outro of "In Two" after the bridge ala the climax of "Beside You In Time."

I really hope this happens.

(I posted this in the album thread but thought afterwards that it can be discussed here as well)

thefragile_jake
09-02-2013, 08:00 AM
So we know that there's going to be a possible UK tour in 2014 but do we have sort of confirmation that Tension will continue in the States in 2014? I'm really bummed that I can't make another show besides my St. Louis gig because of work conflicts..

slave2thewage
09-02-2013, 08:02 AM
^I'd say there might be a second leg in the US in summer 2014.

somewhat_
09-02-2013, 08:33 AM
My best guess for 2014:

February/March/April: Australia, Asia, Europe, etc.

May/June: US amphitheaters (probably not the same Tension production)

July/August/September: European festivals

October/November: US theater/club shows (this is just wishful thinking)

icklekitty
09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
My best guess for 2014:

February/March/April: Australia, Asia, Europe, etc.

May/June: US amphitheaters (probably not the same Tension production)

July/August/September: European festivals

October/November: US theater/club shows (this is just wishful thinking)

And then silence until 2018!

dlb
09-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I guess the UK will be served first, then the European mainland and AUS/Asia after another US leg. And I highly doubt Trent will do another European festival stunt.

opal
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Can we have a NIN 2013 tour photos thread in here?

While I really enjoy the availability of the video and Audio sources we have been blessed with, so far, I would very much appreciate some hq photos from the current tour.
Maybe some of you guys want to share some of your photos in a thread?

Moebius
09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLqdLzoCEY

I've seen something similar; a bunch of little "helicopters" with blinking LEDs were dropped at Bonnaroo in 2011, just before Arcade Fire's set. The lights weren't sync'd or programmed like it looks like it was here but it looked pretty cool. It turned out to a viral marketing stunt...

I don't think it would really work inside a closed arena, though. You need way more height so you can watch them as they slowly fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jX7L3S3R4o

chroipahtz
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm kind of bummed that it will be over 3 weeks until we get a taste of what the Tension shows will be like. I want to know now! :(

skip niklas
09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
So we know that there's going to be a possible UK tour in 2014 but do we have sort of confirmation that Tension will continue in the States in 2014? I'm really bummed that I can't make another show besides my St. Louis gig because of work conflicts..

Be happy you have that. We here in Chicago got fucked on the LitS show because of Lolla, and now it appears we're going to get fucked on this one as well. I hate that shit stain of a festival.

jessamineny
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
So now that the 9/21 rehearsal show has been revealed, and the CT show has been added, does that mean there's still one more show to come? (If the theory about the 36 teeth on tour.nin.com is/was ever true?)

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218961237/trent-reznor-im-not-the-same-person-i-was-20-years-ago

We're about to embark on an arena tour in the U.S. here — that will be our audience. And what's good about that is I feel we can get away with more things, we can stretch your attention span further, I can play songs that I feel are more challenging.

:D :D :D

Deepvoid
09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218961237/trent-reznor-im-not-the-same-person-i-was-20-years-ago

We're about to embark on an arena tour in the U.S. here — that will be our audience. And what's good about that is I feel we can get away with more things, we can stretch your attention span further, I can play songs that I feel are more challenging.

:D :D :D

I wouldn't read too much into this statement. I think it meant that he doesn't have to play only hits.
I'm going with the high expectations production wise but none regarding the setlist.

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't read too much into this statement. I think it meant that he doesn't have to play only hits.
I'm going with the high expectations production wise but none regarding the setlist.
This was specifically in contrast to the festival shows, which were mostly all the same, but still had songs other than the hits -- would you consider What If We Could? or The Warning hits? They are live staples, but not hits.

I don't expect radical setlists like that 3 hour farewell show or anything, but some variation would be nice. There's little reason to watch multiple streams from the festivals when they're basically just Setlist A or Setlist B, alternating. And yes, I feel unjustly entitled.

Deepvoid
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
This was specifically in contrast to the festival shows, which were mostly all the same, but still had songs other than the hits -- would you consider What If We Could? or The Warning hits? They are live staples, but not hits.

I don't expect radical setlists like that 3 hour farewell show or anything, but some variation would be nice. There's little reason to watch multiple streams from the festivals when they're basically just Setlist A or Setlist B, alternating. And yes, I feel unjustly entitled.

Exactly my point. He will play more "not so rare songs" like The Warning. You know .. The Big Comedown, Suck, Dead Souls and other songs of the likes. I'm perfectly fine with that.
What I am trying to say, is that I do not expect him to start playing songs like Ringfinger, Hapiness In Slavery or We're In This Together. If he does, fantastic! If he doesn't, I am not going to be pissed off about it.

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Exactly my point. He will play more "not so rare songs" like The Warning. You know .. The Big Comedown, Suck, Dead Souls and other songs of the likes. I'm perfectly fine with that.
What I am trying to say, is that I do not expect him to start playing songs like Ringfinger, Hapiness In Slavery or We're In This Together. If he does, fantastic! If he doesn't, I am not going to be pissed off about it.
Well yeah. I never expect those.

I just hope that a bunch of the other HM songs get played at least once. Judging by the WT tours, I think there's a reasonable chance of that.

Moebius
09-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm hoping for debuts of the YZ holdouts, My Violent Heart and Another Version of the Truth, and maybe a full version of Zero Sum.

BTW, the audio and text versions of the NPR interview are different, there's some bits in each that aren't in the other, so check them both out.

pukkelpop
09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
i dont think the setlists differ much with before the "on hold" period.
he should break drastically with some songs, for some time. "everyone has his damn fucking opinion" TR recently said, well here's mine.

Deepvoid
09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Well yeah. I never expect those.

I just hope that a bunch of the other HM songs get played at least once. Judging by the WT tours, I think there's a reasonable chance of that.

Of course. As I mentioned in a post in the Tour fapping thread. I think 6-8 songs from HM is what we're looking at.

FernandoDante
09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Ruiner or GTFO

billpulsipher
09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I think people expecting all sorts of rare songs are going to be in for a major disappointment. Don't hold your breathe for 'into the void' 'sin' 'ruiner' 'or where is everybody'......

Star
09-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I loved the LITS tour and he played Sin on the WT tour so never say never this is TR we are talking about.

nooneimportant
09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Alessandro is back though, which means the synths can come back for Sin, which in my opinion makes the chance of it returning that much greater.

slave2thewage
09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
They were playing Ruiner and Sin in 2009, so it's possible they'll surface again. Hopefully Sin, at the very least, since it's an awesome live track.

FernandoDante
09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
They were playing Ruiner and Sin in 2009, so it's possible they'll surface again. Hopefully Sin, at the very least, since it's an awesome live track.
I still have the bootleg from the first time JMJ played Sin. He kinda butchered the first few notes.

eversonpoe
09-05-2013, 09:23 PM

for me, any version of that song without charlie's theremin intro just isn't as exciting. but it's still a great song, and fantastic live.

richardp
09-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Well since no one else has done it yet, I made a cover for the MIA mp3 set. Enjoy!

http://i.imgur.com/GZNleWe.jpg

eversonpoe
09-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Well since no one else has done it yet, I made a cover for the MIA mp3 set. Enjoy!

actually, dlb made one for every release! here's made in america (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99154504@N05/9665565075/sizes/o/in/set-72157635266423800/), here's the rest (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99154504@N05/sets/72157635266423800/with/9665565075/).

also, yours is nice, and i like that you kept with the same style!

richardp
09-06-2013, 01:53 AM
actually, dlb made one for every release! here's made in america (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99154504@N05/9665565075/sizes/o/in/set-72157635266423800/), here's the rest (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99154504@N05/sets/72157635266423800/with/9665565075/).

also, yours is nice, and i like that you kept with the same style!

Oh nice, looks like we both had the same idea for this!

Stereo75
09-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I just saw this reminder: http://www.last.fm/event/3568783+Tension+2013

Now I have a reason to drink tonight. See you in the tank!:(

thefragile_jake
09-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Trent just tweeted this...

New tour production rehearsals underway... surprises in store!

....let the hype begin!

halo33
09-08-2013, 09:14 PM
The return of the sax solo!

Krazy
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
TR is gonna do his "Piggy" drum solo while doing this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg7azmNWMi8

Volband
09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Plot twist: the unicorn video of Everything will be shown on huge ass screens on the background while performing the actual song.

m15a
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Plot twist: the unicorn video of Everything will be shown on huge ass screens on the background while performing the actual song.

"I've been less than honest about what I really think about the Everything fan video . . . I LOVE IT!"

fillow
09-09-2013, 12:21 AM
the. perfect. drug.

Tyson
09-09-2013, 02:12 AM
TR just said on Triple J that he thought he was gonna have something to announce about an Australian tour. Unfortunately he couldn't, but it would definitely happen in the near future. He also said he wouldn't say "soon" because he gets criticized for it. That made me go from a smile to a laugh.

fillow
09-09-2013, 05:20 AM
My best attempt at summarizing the setlist variations
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apv136EBfUp0dFpxTXpMZVhHTnNKZnNjSUVPNW1DT FE#gid=1
One tab includes all shows, another one omits Scala, Leeds, Reading and Troubadour, where songs order was completely fucked up.

nooneimportant
09-09-2013, 05:25 AM
The return of the sax solo!

The band can close with While I'm Still Here/Black Noise and when it gets to the end, Bootsy Collins comes out and plays some crazy funk basslines while Trent solos over it with saxaphone then Robin Finck smashes his guitar creating loud disorienting feedback over the funk, causing the greatest musical sound ever to occur.

dlb
09-09-2013, 05:35 AM

....let the hype begin!

slaves will scream!!!

Ryan
09-09-2013, 05:38 AM

....let the hype begin!

And All That Could Have Been

Happinness In Slavery

I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally

One or all of these and my penis shall be forever within Trent's anus.

Vertigo
09-09-2013, 07:34 AM
That is quite the incentive there, @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67).

Moebius
09-09-2013, 07:50 AM
My best attempt at summarizing the setlist variations
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apv136EBfUp0dFpxTXpMZVhHTnNKZnNjSUVPNW1DT FE#gid=1
One tab includes all shows, another one omits Scala, Leeds, Reading and Troubadour, where songs order was completely fucked up.

Could you explain the color-coding?

eversonpoe
09-09-2013, 08:15 AM
The band can close with While I'm Still Here/Black Noise and when it gets to the end, Bootsy Collins comes out and plays some crazy funk basslines while Trent solos over it with saxaphone then Robin Finck smashes his guitar creating loud disorienting feedback over the funk, causing the greatest musical sound ever to occur.

honestly, that would be one of the coolest things that could ever happen at a NIN show.

fillow
09-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Could you explain the color-coding?
just to find rotating or moving songs more easily. no math involved.

thatguymark
09-09-2013, 08:43 AM

....let the hype begin!

Awww, man.....I don't know when to begin my blackout of NIN information. My first show (of 2) is 10/24. I want to go in as blind as possible. Maybe now's the time to just shut down and stop visiting ETS for a while. The will is so weak....

tony.parente
09-09-2013, 08:48 AM

He could walk on stage, play these 2 songs and walk off the stage with me throwing dolla bills at his ass.

Star
09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
The Fragile

ryanmcfly
09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I really hope he keeps the Year Zero bit in the middle of the set. Maybe he can throw something they haven't done off that album yet like My Violent Heart. I also hope they have a unique closer like how LITS had In This Twilight, but I will not complain if they play that song since it's my favorite song by them.

Volband
09-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Awww, man.....I don't know when to begin my blackout of NIN information. My first show (of 2) is 10/24. I want to go in as blind as possible. Maybe now's the time to just shut down and stop visiting ETS for a while. The will is so weak....
To be fair, if he does play The Perfect Drug, it will be everywhere: news, local papers, radios.

Howewer, right now the only thing I can think about is who and how will perform the falsetto in All Time Low. Robin's "The Fragile impression" is fine, but that's just one line, and it's not even that high.

Deepvoid
09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm about to go dark from ETS. I suspect we will get our first pic from instagram or tumblr soon.
It will be the first time I attend a NIN show knowing absolutely nothing about production, setlist or whatnot.

OSLIN
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I really hope he keeps the Year Zero bit in the middle of the set. Maybe he can throw something they haven't done off that album yet like My Violent Heart. I also hope they have a unique closer like how LITS had In This Twilight, but I will not complain if they play that song since it's my favorite song by them.

I hope the closer for the upcoming tour is While I'm Still Here and Trent breaks out the fucking sax to end the show. (Squeals like a pig)

fortheloveofgod
09-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Happinness In Slavery

One or all of these and my penis shall be forever within Trent's anus.

Trent mention in an interview that there are songs he will not play since he really isn't comfortable playing live anymore. I would love to know what is on that list. Talk about being not the same person he used to be.

ryanh92
09-11-2013, 11:59 AM
i know that Kinda I Want To is definitely on that list. Josh Freese said in an interview at some point that any song is possible with Kinda I Want To as an exception.

Volband
09-11-2013, 12:44 PM
i know that Kinda I Want To is definitely on that list. Josh Freese said in an interview at some point that any song is possible with Kinda I Want To as an exception.
Well, Trent is a perfectionist, so if he managed to rework (and possibly rewrite) the song into an awesome live performance, he could sleep well at night. Who knows, maybe HM is not even about addiction, but dealing with life as "the guy who made Kinda I Want To".

fillow
09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
It wasn't Josh Freese, Jerome Dillon said it via nin.com/access

Moebius
09-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Trent mention in an interview that there are songs he will not play since he really isn't comfortable playing live anymore. I would love to know what is on that list. Talk about being not the same person he used to be.

Sadly I think HIS is definitely among them. I'd be extremely happy to be wrong, though.

TheBang
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
It will be the first time I attend a NIN show knowing absolutely nothing about production, setlist or whatnot.
Spoiler: He plays "Hurt"

Deepvoid
09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Spoiler: He plays "Hurt"

I didn't say songs but a setlist.
Obviously, the classics will remain.

TheBang
09-11-2013, 05:39 PM
What is a song, if not part of a setlist? ;)

chroipahtz
09-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Deep.

Moebius
09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Deep.

not this tour.

theimage13
09-11-2013, 05:56 PM

The Perfect Drug.

Deepvoid
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM
HiS, TPD ... it's all wishful thinking guys!

icklekitty
09-12-2013, 06:29 AM
The Perfect Drug.

I see what you did there.

That other guy
09-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Do you guy / gals really want to see a 2013 version of Happiness In Slavery , unless something major happens we wont see the chaos of smashed guitars ,keyboards , it would take alot to compete with the live versions of long ago.

dlb
09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
I actually have a very clear picture in mind how they can pull it off with this more techy incarnation of the band! It's not about the Woodstock-style show for me but the power of the song itself and the synth noodling towards the end that makes the song appealing to me! And I'm dying to hear it with Trent's deeper voice and elder roughness and I have a firm believe that a new version could be jaw dropping!

EDIT: listened to some bootlegs again and I have to agree: it might be a bit too rough for the current NIN sound, but heck, why not? We even got Robin in the band again who is familiar with the song ready to bop his head with it and we got some pretty great guys on synths who can apart from being able to do everything in the world go apeshit with this gem of a song. And c'mon how great would be if they all of a sudden blast this one out after HMIAIH when everyone is expecting me, I'm not or the warning?

Get a nice pit going, turn on the smoke machine, make some noise and here we go! slave screams!!!

EDIT 2: Yeah, damn right! I'm obsessed! :D

Volband
09-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I didn't say songs but a setlist.
Will they? He just played all of his classics at almost every festival, and most of them streamed it, so everyone has a proper footage of them.

Do you guy / gals really want to see a 2013 version of Happiness In Slavery , unless something major happens we wont see the chaos of smashed guitars ,keyboards , it would take alot to compete with the live versions of long ago.
I don't know, it's somewhat like Terrible Lie in terms of fucking Trent up. He might think "nah, I'm too old for this shit", but he'd surely go crazy by the time he sings the second verse. It just needs some adjustments for the second part.

m15a
09-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Will they? He just played all of his classics at almost every festival, and most of them streamed it, so everyone has a proper footage of them.

uhhh . . ??? (the main purpose of concerts isn't usually for streaming or recording. people still want to hear them live, although opinions on how much and which tracks obviously varies.)

Volband
09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
uhhh . . ??? (the main purpose of concerts isn't usually for streaming or recording. people still want to hear them live, although opinions on how much and which tracks obviously varies.)
Yes, but he knows he is not forced to play some kind of "here's all my famous songs" set for this leg of the tour, and the fact that everyone could listen to the 2013 versions of these played-to-death songs just adds to the that he should be more willing to switch them up.

I'd really like Hurt to be dropped for example (like appearing in every 4th or 5th show), because there are so many nice replacements for it, some he never even played live.

billpulsipher
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
I would rather TDTWWA replace Hurt and Suck replace Only and anything replace THTF....forget about 2013 Slavery, it will never happen...TR couldn't even pull those screams off anymore, and the equipment is too expensive these days to trash them every night lol

chroipahtz
09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
I would rather TDTWWA replace Hurt and Suck replace Only and anything replace THTF....forget about 2013 Slavery, it will never happen...TR couldn't even pull those screams off anymore, and the equipment is too expensive these days to trash them every night lol
For other screams he usually just takes them down an octave or so and turns them into melodic lines. He could easily do the same on HIS without totally changing the vibe.

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 03:59 PM
For other screams he usually just takes them down an octave or so and turns them into melodic lines. He could easily do the same on HIS without totally changing the vibe.

i would love to hear a deep-voiced version of happiness in slavery. that would be super sexy.

dlb
09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
^^ this!

And Trent is doing pretty well on burn throughout all these years aswell doing his high pitched screams and keeping it low on the other parts. Way better than the studio version IMHO.

For the gear trashing breakdown just pull a the great destroyer and have screaming slave sampled with the band all lined up twisting knobs and some wicked glitch-fest as the backdrop. And once again: smoke, smoke, smoke. Make it look like hell!

I don't want to see a Woodstock 2013 but a re-imagining of this fucking great song! Have fun with it and elevate it with some great visuals / stage set up! Listen to the London 1994 bootleg. That version is a bit more focused than the Woodstock gig and actually my prefered version of the song.

dlb
09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
EDIT: double post, sorry! Should have been a simple edit...

There it is [1:14:50]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xWpkqpqy4A&t=74m50s

m15a
09-12-2013, 04:25 PM

i dunno. the screaming of "slave screams" seems kind of intrinsic to the song. there could definitely be a way to change the song to it still works, but i don't think it's necessarily as easy as in other songs. i think finding creative solutions to perform is a good thing, but there's just that much more potential that it's dropped in rehearsal (if it's even tried).

fillow
09-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I went to Pukkelpop this year and I've been actively reading an associated thread at the forum dedicated to international festivals. People there were actually complaining about NIN not playing Closer and Hurt!

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
i dunno. the screaming of "slave screams" seems kind of intrinsic to the song. there could definitely be a way to change the song to it still works, but i don't think it's necessarily as easy as in other songs. i think finding creative solutions to perform is a good thing, but there's just that much more potential that it's dropped in rehearsal (if it's even tried).

he doesn't do any vocals during the choruses of gave up (playback and the other band members take care of that) so i'm sure something similar could be done for happiness in slavery.

SM Rollinger
09-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I want to hear Satellite and While Im Still Here, with Trent playing the sax part live.

That and Happiness in fuckin' Slavery.

m15a
09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
he doesn't do any vocals during the choruses of gave up (playback and the other band members take care of that) so i'm sure something similar could be done for happiness in slavery.

ah. yeah. a call and response could work really well, actually . . man, now i'm excited for something that probably won't happen. :p

dlb
09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
it will! jesus you fucking people! IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

theimage13
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Remember when they did an entire summer tour without playing Closer at any of the shows?

Yeah..."obviously" doesn't work with Nine Inch Nails.

Star
09-12-2013, 06:04 PM
I do not understand what is wrong with playing the classics in the first place. You have to remember, just because we have seen NIN multiple times doesn't mean everyone has. There are people who are seeing NIN for the 1st time. Closer, HLAH and Hurt should always be in the line up. I am just glad Wish seems to be a classic too. The bottom line is no matter what the set list is, someone is always going to be disappointed that a song wasn't played.

JessicaSarahS
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I do not understand what is wrong with playing the classics in the first place. You have to remember, just because we have seen NIN multiple times doesn't mean everyone has. There are people who are seeing NIN for the 1st time. Closer, HLAH and Hurt should always be in the line up. I am just glad Wish seems to be a classic too. The bottom line is no matter what the set list is, someone is always going to be disappointed that a song wasn't played.

I'd say NIN does a good job of keeping in the hits and throwing in other lesser known tracks into the setlist. I've never had an issue with what they pick to play. Other bands though...

Star
09-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I'd say NIN does a good job of keeping in the hits and throwing in other lesser known tracks into the setlist. I've never had an issue with what they pick to play. Other bands though...

I agree, which is why I don't see the big deal in playing the hits. I admit, there is one song, I have only seen live once, a very long time ago that I want to hear. The odds are not very likely so do I get a but bummed? A little, but every show I have seen during the WT era has been amazing because of the cities and the people I was with so if I never hear it, it's okay. I get it. This time I am only going to two shows and both will be different because one is an arena and one is Vegas so I will be happy. Hell, I am just thrilled he is touring again.

billpulsipher
09-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't mind the "hits" when they are "head like a hole" "wish" "MOTP"....but TR apparently thinks 'only' 'hand that feeds' and 'survivalism' are "hits" which is the problem

The Great Destroyer
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't mind the "hits" when they are "head like a hole" "wish" "MOTP"....but TR apparently thinks 'only' 'hand that feeds' and 'survivalism' are "hits" which is the problem
Yeah, the singles from W_T/YZ eras are kinda bland. TR should replace Survivalism, THTF and Only with The Great Destroyer, Home and Discipline.

Star
09-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Those three were hits or at least the singles that had videos so generally people know what they are. I love THTF.
Only and Survivorlism I could take or leave but he isn't doing the show just for us, it is for people who may only know the more recent hits. I really like the new song Everything too and it seems that most people don't like it but should he not play it? I don't know, I hope he does. Maybe one day he will be like Springsteen and play for three hours with no opening band and then everyone would be happy right? I doubt it. There is no right or wrong answer here, he is going to play whatever he wants and people like it or they don't.

m15a
09-12-2013, 07:02 PM
i've been to a lot of NIN concerts, mostly in the late 2000s. and i've never seen the crowd as a whole act uninterested in hearing any of those hits. and that includes the few final-leg wave goodbye shows i went to (where people weren't necessarily expecting the hits).

Krazy
09-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Yup- people need to stop semi-complaining about "the hits". Doesn't matter what band you go see, a vast majority of the people that attend any concert are casual fans. It's good to play them and more often than not those popular songs are the ones that get the best reaction. Some people wanna see Still and Ghosts played- you'll also see a lot of people leaving early and hear crickets half way through the show.

According to ETS stats the most ever users on here was just over 600- that would be one of the smaller Wave Goodbye shows. Arena tours shouldn't be tailored to the hard core fan that wants B-sides and the deep cuts.

m15a
09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Yup- people need to stop semi-complaining about "the hits". Doesn't matter what band you go see, a vast majority of the people that attend any concert are casual fans. It's good to play them and more often than not those popular songs are the ones that get the best reaction. Some people wanna see Still and Ghosts played- you'll also see a lot of people leaving early and hear crickets half way through the show.

According to ETS stats the most ever users on here was just over 600- that would be one of the smaller Wave Goodbye shows. Arena tours shouldn't be tailored to the hard core fan that wants B-sides and the deep cuts.

and don't forget that a lot of the hardcore fans like those songs, too. i wouldn't be surprised if the hits are the most popular live songs even among regular NIN concert goers. (because i'm guessing most people like at least some of those hits and there are a lot more non-hits to choose from.) and, of course, there are hardcore NIN fans that haven't even been to a concert yet.

Krazy
09-12-2013, 09:28 PM
and don't forget that a lot of the hardcore fans like those songs, too. i wouldn't be surprised if the hits are the most popular live songs even among regular NIN concert goers. (because i'm guessing most people like at least some of those hits and there are a lot more non-hits to choose from.) and, of course, there are hardcore NIN fans that haven't even been to a concert yet.

Agreed. I like just about all the hits- outside of maybe Survivalism that has been a staple since YZ came out. I think even other fans feed off the energy. Pretty easy to do.

JessicaSarahS
09-12-2013, 09:35 PM

But it's not like he's skipping HLAH and Wish, right? Only and THTF are just in addition to everything else. They always manage to play a decent setlist length.

Kyle
09-12-2013, 10:41 PM

Hand that feeds is MUCH more of a hit than either Wish or MOTP. I've even heard Only on mainstream radio much more than either MOTP or Wish. Actually, I mentioned before about taking a casual fan to a Wave Goodbye show and she only recognized a couple of songs. THTF was one of them. Wish and MOTP were not (Only wasn't played).

theimage13
09-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Hand that feeds is MUCH more of a hit than...MOTP.

I beg to differ. I don't know about commercial success, chart numbers, etc...but I'd be hard pressed to believe that a significant portion of pre-With Teeth fans consider The Hand That Feeds to be a substantially larger hit than March of the Pigs. I mean, that song is just a downright classic; a staple from Trent's earlier catalog. THTF is certainly a good track, and since I don't listen to it all that often, I do enjoy hearing it at shows. But personally, it just doesn't feel like it even belongs in the same category as MOTP. But hey, to each their own.

JessicaSarahS
09-12-2013, 11:48 PM
I beg to differ. I don't know about commercial success, chart numbers, etc...but I'd be hard pressed to believe that a significant portion of pre-With Teeth fans consider The Hand That Feeds to be a substantially larger hit than March of the Pigs. I mean, that song is just a downright classic; a staple from Trent's earlier catalog. THTF is certainly a good track, and since I don't listen to it all that often, I do enjoy hearing it at shows. But personally, it just doesn't feel like it even belongs in the same category as MOTP. But hey, to each their own.

MOTP is definitely iconic, but if you listen to mainstream radio, you're more likely to hear THTF than MOTP. But Closer trumps all of those and still finds regular airplay on my local stations.

billpulsipher
09-13-2013, 01:22 AM
THTF might be more iconic for causal fans, but the hardcore fans all know MOTP is the real classic and dwarfs THTF...kinda like the casual Cure fan might recognize 'Friday im in love' where the hardcore fan regards '100 years' or 'forest' as the true classic

Vertigo
09-13-2013, 01:51 AM

They are. Hand That Feeds charted better than any pre-Fragile single; Only and Survivalism made it to #1 on the US Alternative chart. And from the subjective standpoint, I know I'd rather hear Only than Head Like A Hole.

m15a
09-13-2013, 02:32 AM
THTF might be more iconic for causal fans, but the hardcore fans all know MOTP is the real classic and dwarfs THTF...kinda like the casual Cure fan might recognize 'Friday im in love' where the hardcore fan regards '100 years' or 'forest' as the true classic
i'm assuming you're defining "the hardcore fans" as people that have the same opinion as you. in that case, yup, totally agree. :p

BRoswell
09-13-2013, 03:04 AM
I really couldn't give a shit which songs are considered the "true" hits and which aren't. Why does it matter? Trent's not going to cater to that one guy in the crowd who has been to all the concerts and has heard Head Like A Hole a million times. It's his concert and he'll play what he wants with the setup he has. Too bad, so sad for you if you've heard them at other concerts.

Deepvoid
09-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Remember when they did an entire summer tour without playing Closer at any of the shows?

Yeah..."obviously" doesn't work with Nine Inch Nails.

Obviously they are gonna play most of the classics.

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Spoiler: There will be tambourine.

tony.parente
09-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Spoiler: There will be tambourine.

Judging by what they did with 1,000,000 i'm leaning towards a synth tamborine this tour.

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Pro: Tension will feature And All That Could Have Been and The Perfect Drug.
Con: The only instrument used in the arrangements is tambourine.

tony.parente
09-13-2013, 08:45 AM

The Perfect Drug (2013 version) - Exclusively containing a drum machine, tambourine and a kickin bass line.

Kyle
09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
And the casual fans are exactly who we're talking about when we're talking about the hits. We're the anomalies. There are many more of them than there are of us. If you're going to tell me that MOTP is a "bigger hit" than THTF you're flat out wrong. You'll get people agreeing with you here but not in the real world.

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
But MOTP IS a bigger hit than THTF!

...If you're still living in 2004, that is.

Kyle
09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Worth the admission price alone.

Kyle
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
i'm assuming you're defining "the hardcore fans" as people that have the same opinion as you. in that case, yup, totally agree. :pi try to go easy on him since being the grumpy "true fan" is his shtick. ;)

Fist Fuck
09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
LOL @ hits discussion. Seriously. Get over it. Every band plays their hits, some new songs to promore a new release and, if you're lucky (which we are as NIN fans) some deep cuts. Trent even promised more obscure songs for Tension, since there's his "more sophisticated" audience with a (hopefully) higher attention span.

I'm just curious about the upcoming production, and how much of it will make it to Europe (and Australia) and if production conflicts were the real reason for HTDA not to perform or if it's just too much work to play with two bands at the same festivals. Guess we'll never know so I'll take Mariqueen's word for that.

Vrolok1
09-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Is this for real? OMFG

dlb
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah seriously, enough with the hits! Can we please go back to discussing a live version of happiness in slavery? Thanks! :)

Or let's get with the Blink182 version of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM9KGI17u1M

chroipahtz
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Is this for real? OMFG
Are YOU for real?

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Is this for real? OMFG
Yup. I was at rehearsals yesterday. The new version of Zero-Sum is pretty cool.

I'm only getting in because Josh Eustis is my boyfriend.

Kyle
09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah seriously, enough with the hits! Can we please go back to discussing a live version of happiness in slavery? Thanks! :)

my initial reaction was that I was perfectly happy not knowing that existed. By the time it was done I thought it was kinda cool. Realizing it wasn't really Blink 182 helped.

tony.parente
09-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Its did happiness in slavery have a love child with everything?

dlb
09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
My thoughts exactly! :D

Krazy
09-13-2013, 11:52 AM

He told me I was the only one- I KNEW there was someone else. :(

Kyle
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
He told me I was the only one- I KNEW there was someone else. :(
Well I already knew I wasn't the only one. Of course the gang bangs with the rest of the band made that obvious.

Vrolok1
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I already knew I wasn't the only one. Of course the gang bangs with the rest of the band made that obvious.

I knew it!

eversonpoe
09-13-2013, 02:43 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Anyone have any predicitions on what songs might show up? I made a couple setlists I thought were likely.

If I had to guess:

STATIC SONGS ON EVERY SET:
Copy of A
Came Back Haunted
Find My Way
Gave Up
MOTP
HLAH
THTF
Survivalism
Wish
Terrible Lie

NEW / Songs not been played in a while/never before:
La Mer
Into The Void
Everything
All time Low
The Four Of Us Are Dying
The Mark Has Been Made
In Two
While I'm Still Here / Black Noise
I Would For You

ROTATING SONGS:
Down In It
TDTWWA
The Frail/Wretched
SICHN
Vessel
Good Soldier
Reptile
Becoming
You Know What You Are?
Closer

ONE or TWO times played on tour:
Dead Souls
I'm Afraid Of Americans
Suck
Head Down

EXTREME WISHFUL THINKING (AKA: Not gonna happen, but one can dream):
The Perfect Drug
Sunspots
Happiness In Slavery
WITT

EDIT: To clarify here, this is NOT songs *I* want to hear, this is me trying to be logical here. If it were up to me, the setlist would have insane stuff like Ruiner, Ringfinger, Demon Seed, Ripe (With Decay), Underneath it all, Last, Zero-Sum, Sin, etc... on the list.

m15a
09-13-2013, 04:03 PM
i'm expecting that the tour is going to have a very static setlist, since that has been the case with the past NIN arena tours for new albums, and in particular since this is going to be such a high-production tour. (source: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html) . . . now that i realize the "NEW" songs in the list above are part of the static list, that looks pretty realistic.

i'd be surprised if Disappointed wasn't part of the fixed setlist, considering the work that was put into it. and, frankly, if it isn't, i'd be pretty . . . (no) . . . dis- . . . (NO!) . . . dissatisfied. :o

from what we've seen recently, i'm guessing that TDTWWA is also going to be standard. maybe something from Ghosts or TGWTDT, also. Sanctified, i'm less sure about. it might have just been a special festival tour thing, and there'll be something similar done with a different old track for this tour.

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 04:30 PM
now that i realize the "NEW" songs in the list above are part of the static list, that looks pretty realistic.

i'd be surprised if Disappointed wasn't part of the fixed setlist, considering the work that was put into it. and, frankly, if it isn't, i'd be pretty . . . (no) . . . dis- . . . (NO!) . . . dissatisfied. :o

from what we've seen recently, i'm guessing that TDTWWA is also going to be standard. maybe something from Ghosts or TGWTDT, also. Sanctified, i'm less sure about. it might have just been a special festival tour thing, and there'll be something similar done with a different old track for this tour.

I would agree that TDTWWA will probably become a staple, probably in the Encore section of the set. I could also see Disappointed being a staple, but then that is almost every single song from Hesitation Marks played (I think I named everything except Various Methods, Satellite, Running and Eater of Dreams, and he never usually plays more than 7 new songs per supporting tour for new album.

When you look at the With_Teeth arena tour there were 7-8 songs played from that album on average per night (Love is not enough, You know what you are?, RWIB, BYIT, TLBTB, The collector (not always played), Only, THTF.

The Year Zero tour - Hard to judge this one, there was preformance 2007 overseas. But they only played 5-6 songs there. It wasn't until LITS where most of the Year Zero songs started to be played, and by that time he was debuting new songs for The Slip/Ghosts. So this is a hard era to compare.

LITS - supporting Ghosts and The Slip (2 albums) 10-11 songs form these abums per night. usually about 4 rotating ghosts songs and the rest from the Slip (999,999, 1,000,000, letting you, head down, discipline, echoplex and sometimes Corona Radiata).

So, if Hesitation marks has 14 songs, I can see 7-8 songs making the cut. There will no doubt about it be a huge epic middle piece in the show, like the Eraser/BYIT/RWIB for the With_Teeth tour and the Ghosts section for LITS.

I'm guessing it will have The Mark Has Been Made / I would for you / In Two / la Mer /

And yeah, when ya think about it, the list I posted has 10 songs under the "static" section and 9 songs under the "new songs" section, that makes up 19 songs there. that's almost a full set. I bet the full set will be about 23 songs long, which will have room for about 4 rotating slots.

Here is my attempt at a Tension 2013 setlist:

1. (Intro) / Eater Of Dreams
2. Copy Of A
3. Terrible Lie
4. Came Back Haunted
5. SICHN (Rotaing song slot)
6. Becoming
7. Everything
8. All Time Low
9. March Of The Pigs
10. Gave Up
---------
START OF EPIC MIDDLE PIECE
11. The Mark Has Been Made
12. I would for you
13. In Two
14. La Mer
------------------
15. Wish
16. THTF
17. Survivalism
18. I'm Afraid Of Americans (rotating song slot)
19. Suck (rotating song slot)
20. While I'm still here / Black Noise
--------------------------------
ENCORE:
21. TDTWWA
22. Vessel (rotating song slot)
23. HLAH

m15a
09-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I could also see Disappointed being a staple, but then that is almost every single song from Hesitation Marks played (I think I named everything except Various Methods, Satellite, Running and Eater of Dreams, and he never usually plays more than 7 new songs per supporting tour for new album.

damnit! that makes sense. and now i realize that i am/was hoping to see almost every HM song live. :-/ guess there'll be something else to look forward to in later tours/legs.

why does he have to play all those "hits"? . . j/k!!!

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 04:48 PM
and now i realize that i am/was hoping to see almost every HM song live.

And I think I was being EXTREMELY generious by including I would for you, In Two and While I'm Still here/Black noise ALL in the set. I bet one of those will be omitted, those songs (especailly In Two) seem like there is ALOT of shit going on in them, and might be hard to pull off live. Although, that is the most epic part of the album (those 3 songs together), so it almost makes sense they will be placed somewhere in the set.

It's hard to say what will/will not show up. Guess we'll find out next Saturday/Sunday (Sept 21-22) for those of us with no self control and will spoil the set for ourselves when someone leaks the set from the LA rehearsal show. I'm still not sure if I should look at the set or not... My shows aren't til November, and I want to be surprised, but waiting 2 months is torture.

Who attending Tension 2013 dates this year are planning on NOT reading the setlists before they go? I bet everyone attending the shows in the first week will say they will wait, but i'm willing to bet anyone waiting for a show in November will NOT be able to wait that long. Dammit, sometimes it SUCKS being a hardcore NIN fan. I know damn well my girlfriend and most of my friends (who are all attending tension shows with me) will not be running to the internet to check the setlist. Most of them don't give a fuck, they all like NIN... But they aren't "Run to the internet to check the setlist of a live show" kinda people. I wish I was more like that...

dlb
09-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I do have a slight fear that if I would for you, in two, all time low and sattelite are included they will be missing something that I genuinely like about these songs. I'm pretty sure they can be pulled off in a great way but the fear is still there.

Guess the songs we already got to hear will remain in the set. I also doubt that they had time to rehearse many more tracks so a set including most of what has been already played during the festival leg is very likely. A mix of the generic festival set and the two intimate shows is what will go down probably with a few additions added (2-3 HM songs and 2-3 oldies).

The more I think about it, the more I want songs like down in it and get down make love to return.

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 05:06 PM
My guesses from Hesitation Marks:
Copy Of A, Came Back Haunted, Find My Way, Disappointed, Everything, Satellite, In Two, While I'm Still Here.

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 05:36 PM
I would personally love a static section of the concert to be: All Time Low / Where Is Everybody / 10 Miles High.
That would be EPIC.

Never gonna happen though, heh.

Star
09-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I am sorry ManBurning but there is no way Closer and Hurt are not played every night. Hurt isn't even on your list. I mean come on. I would prefer something other then Hurt but I just don't see it not being there.

Vertigo
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
I'd be surprised if All Time Low doesn't work its way into regular rotation. Trent seems very happy with it, everyone raves about it, it's got great energy and a nice transitional ending, and the high-note section could be performed with backing vox.

Regarding the Hesitation Marks songs that've been performed live so far, in my opinion Find My Way is a perfect fit and has more atmosphere than on the record, and Disappointed is a song that didn't translate well at all. I was very surprised with how much I loved the studio version, after it'd become a skipped track for me on the live feeds.
I prefer Came Back Haunted in studio as well, the second half drags on quite a bit and it's harder to differentiate the subtler changes of that section in the live mix.
Copy Of A just plain rocks. Bring in Rebecca Black to cover it with an all-banjo-and-bagpipes band (new genre?), and I think I'd still be hooked.

Krazy
09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I'd be surprised if All Time Low doesn't work its way into regular rotation. Trent seems very happy with it, everyone raves about it, it's got great energy and a nice transitional ending, and the high-note section could be performed with backing vox.

Regarding the Hesitation Marks songs that've been performed live so far, in my opinion Find My Way is a perfect fit and has more atmosphere than on the record, and Disappointed is a song that didn't translate well at all. I was very surprised with how much I loved the studio version, after it'd become a skipped track for me on the live feeds.
I prefer Came Back Haunted in studio as well, the second half drags on quite a bit and it's harder to differentiate the subtler changes of that section in the live mix.
Copy Of A just plain rocks. Bring in Rebecca Black to cover it with an all-banjo-and-bagpipes band (new genre?), and I think I'd still be hooked.

"Copy of a" flat out kicks ass, and Trent seems to sing it "angrier" live than the studio version. When I logged onto Spotify yesterday it was NIN's #2 song- not sure exactly what that means but I think it's reached even past the casual fan and IMHO should've been the first single.

I'm not that big on HM quite yet (time will tell), but that song already feels like classic NIN to me. Might be my favorite post The Fragile.

EDIT: If it's got a down side as a live song, it might be that it's not quite an "anthem". Something that's kind of hard, or harder, to sing along to unlike HLAH, MOTP, etc.

nooneimportant
09-13-2013, 06:25 PM
The Eater of Dreams into Mr. Self Destruct to open a show would be awesome. Infact, I bet Eater of Dreams ends up being the opener for most shows like 999,999 was on the Lights In The Sky tour.

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I am sorry ManBurning but there is no way Closer and Hurt are not played every night. Hurt isn't even on your list. I mean come on. I would prefer something other then Hurt but I just don't see it not being there.

You are forgetting something very, very, very important... 1) Closer went a whole tour without being played between Dec. 13, 2008 and August 5, 2009 known as the NINJA / Wave Goodbye tour. This may shock you, but it was not played at all then.

What ALSO might shock you, 2) it was not played at Troubadour recently in Hollywood.

You would be surprised how much that song gets omitted from the set. This is just my personal prediction. I think he wants to start staying away from that song personally. He's a 48 year old man with a wife and 2 kids. you expect him to be singing about "fucking you like an animal" still?

Now, I'll agree with you, omitting "Closer" and "Hurt" was a bit selfish on my part, one of those WILL be played, guarenteed. I would lean more towards Hurt at this point based on the trend of Closer on recent tours. Actually, after looking at the trend for "Hurt", it will definatly be in there. Closer, not so much.

EDIT: Hell, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of the show is ALL "TDS" songs and then the second half is ALL Hesitation Marks songs. He seems to like comparing those 2 albums so much, maybe he'll create some sort of a live show about someone who thinks they are invincible, falls a victim of substance abuse, trys to "hurt" themself, then an upwards battle of bouncing back and becoming strong again, ending the concert with "Everything"

Kyle
09-13-2013, 07:01 PM
As far back as Dissonance, he tried replacing it with Closer to God but it didn't last. I was one of the lucky few though. :)

ManBurning
09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
As far back as Dissonance, he tried replacing it with Closer to God but it didn't last. I was one of the lucky few though. :)

Yeah, he's always tried to "re-invent" that song, with the most recent stint being the Closer to the Only Time breakdown.
Personally, i'd rather just have "The Only Time" in full at this point. The Closer to the only time breakdown has become so predictable, that when you hear the "regular" version of Closer it doesn't seem right.

nooneimportant
09-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Closer is better suited at the end of the set, or closing the show like it did during the Further Down The Spiral tour. When I say that, I mean Trent should bring back the full song with the second half being the awesome jam.

I'm hoping for The Only Time and Ringfinger to reappear, what with the re-release of Pretty Hate Machine coming out a few years ago, now would be a perfect time to welcome that back in. Ringfinger had some heavy guitar soloing in at the end that would be really cool to see live, especially with Robin's use of amp feedback.

slave2thewage
09-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Personally, i'd rather just have "The Only Time" in full at this point.
No, thank you.

Kyle
09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah, he's always tried to "re-invent" that song, with the most recent stint being the Closer to the Only Time breakdown.
Personally, i'd rather just have "The Only Time" in full at this point. The Closer to the only time breakdown has become so predictable, that when you hear the "regular" version of Closer it doesn't seem right.
Closer still sounds right. But whenever I hear a non-live version of Hurt, after the "I would find a way" line I expect to hear "thank you!"

billpulsipher
09-13-2013, 10:28 PM
That's What I Get needs to return

Krazy
09-13-2013, 10:39 PM
You are forgetting something very, very, very important... 1) Closer went a whole tour without being played between Dec. 13, 2008 and August 5, 2009 known as the NINJA / Wave Goodbye tour. This may shock you, but it was not played at all then.

Not trying to poop in your post because I know what your getting at, but 'Closer' was played during the Wave Goodbye shows. Without looking I know for a fact it was played in one of the Chicago nights, and The Downward Spiral was played from start to finish I think twice during the last of the shows.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't played at all during the NINJA tours though- someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

gorast
09-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Not trying to poop in your post because I know what your getting at, but 'Closer' was played during the Wave Goodbye shows. Without looking I know for a fact it was played in one of the Chicago nights, and The Downward Spiral was played from start to finish I think twice during the last of the shows.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't played at all during the NINJA tours though- someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Trent did his best to avoid playing it, but it crept into the last Wave Goodbye shows, probably because he thought "if I'm gonna quit for a while, I might as well play it once or twice."

Closer and Hurt have both been dropped at least a couple of times during the festival run, so they're not guaranteed.

nooneimportant
09-13-2013, 10:51 PM

According to NIN Tour History, he played it at the very end of the tour for the International shows and through the Wave Goodbye shows only

2009-08-05 - Araneta Coliseum (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=828)
2009-08-07 - Summer Sonic Festival (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=829)
2009-08-10 - Fort Canning Park (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=831)
2009-08-23 - Webster Hall (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=834)
2009-08-28 - Aragon Ballroom (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=846)
2009-08-30 - Molson Amphitheater (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=848)
2009-09-02 - Hollywood Palladium (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=849)

And even then, he didn't play it at the "last show."

Kyle
09-13-2013, 11:04 PM
He still hasn't played track 67 on Broken live yet.

Frozen Beach
09-13-2013, 11:38 PM
If they ever play The Perfect Drug live, instead of an actual drummer doing the drums, they should get Michael Winslow to do it with his voice.

ManBurning
09-14-2013, 12:24 AM

Nope, I used setlist.fm to verify my facts before posting. Before it's "Hiatus" it was last played on December 13th, 2008 at the Planet Hollywood resort and casino in Vegas and then never resurfaced until August 5, 2009 at the Araneta Coliseum in Manilia Philippines, despite the fact there were many shows in May, June and July in between.

Hell, closer was only played 12/16 shows on this 2013 festival run. Granted, 2 of those were "special" club preformances where it was omitted. The UK one and the LA one.
He seems to skip out on Closer in the more intimate club setting (asside from those last few wave goodbye ones in September 2009).

ManBurning
09-14-2013, 12:28 AM
According to NIN Tour History, he played it at the very end of the tour for the International shows and through the Wave Goodbye shows only

2009-08-05 - Araneta Coliseum (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=828)
2009-08-07 - Summer Sonic Festival (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=829)
2009-08-10 - Fort Canning Park (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=831)
2009-08-23 - Webster Hall (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=834)
2009-08-28 - Aragon Ballroom (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=846)
2009-08-30 - Molson Amphitheater (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=848)
2009-09-02 - Hollywood Palladium (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=849)

And even then, he didn't play it at the "last show."

Trent did his best to avoid playing it, but it crept into the last Wave Goodbye shows, probably because he thought "if I'm gonna quit for a while, I might as well play it once or twice."

Closer and Hurt have both been dropped at least a couple of times during the festival run, so they're not guaranteed.

I should finish reading a thread before responding to something, both of you pretty much just wrote what I responded with, lol...
I didn't need to back my own post up because you guys did it for me. ;)

EDIT: This was supposed to be an EDIT to my direct post above this one, I apologize for the double post.

Krazy
09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Nope, I used setlist.fm to verify my facts before posting. Before it's "Hiatus" it was last played on December 13th, 2008 at the Planet Hollywood resort and casino in Vegas and then never resurfaced until August 5, 2009 at the Araneta Coliseum in Manilia Philippines, despite the fact there were many shows in May, June and July in between.

Hell, closer was only played 12/16 shows on this 2013 festival run. Granted, 2 of those were "special" club preformances where it was omitted. The UK one and the LA one.
He seems to skip out on Closer in the more intimate club setting (asside from those last few wave goodbye ones in September 2009).

Yup, my fault on that. Was looking at the 'Wave Goodbye' term rather than the dates you posted. It was played during the final shows in NY/Chi/LA shows. I've always considered the NINJA tour and festivals was seperate from those last shows... for whatever reason.

Moebius
09-14-2013, 08:57 AM

It's also really hard to play all of TDS without Closer ;)

Star
09-14-2013, 09:44 AM

What ALSO might shock you, 2) it was not played at Troubadour recently in Hollywood.

You would be surprised how much that song gets omitted from the set. This is just my personal prediction. I think he wants to start staying away from that song personally. He's a 48 year old man with a wife and 2 kids. you expect him to be singing about "fucking you like an animal" still?

Now, I'll agree with you, omitting "Closer" and "Hurt" was a bit selfish on my part, one of those WILL be played, guarenteed. I would lean more towards Hurt at this point based on the trend of Closer on recent tours. Actually, after looking at the trend for "Hurt", it will definatly be in there. Closer, not so much.

EDIT: Hell, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of the show is ALL "TDS" songs and then the second half is ALL Hesitation Marks songs. He seems to like comparing those 2 albums so much, maybe he'll create some sort of a live show about someone who thinks they are invincible, falls a victim of substance abuse, trys to "hurt" themself, then an upwards battle of bouncing back and becoming strong again, ending the concert with "Everything"

I was at the NINJA tour so I am well aware, however, that was his 2nd or maybe even 3rd time playing in those markets in the WT, YZ eras. With the new label and all the advertising geared to non die hards he is going to have a hard time leaving either one of these out. Is it possible? Yes, is it likely, in my opinion, no. We will hear soon enough.

gorast
09-14-2013, 10:48 AM
It's also really hard to play all of TDS without Closer ;)

Well, if Trent and co. wouldn't even take the time to prepare the "proper" outro for the song...

Volband
09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry ManBurning, but why do you think Terrible Lie is among the static ones? In 2009 he rotated it quite heavily (at least in Europe), and sadly, I got the "no terrible lie"-setlist. Well, I don't complain, cuz when I look back on the setlist, I'm still amazed I got to see and hear so many awesome stuff, but yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if he only played it every second show. Gave Up's absence from the shows wouldn't be that surprising either.

And what about Last? The Warning? Discipline\Echoplex? He's been playing some Ruiner every now and then as well.

About the new songs: I'd like to say I can't see VMOE not becoming a staple, but then again, I still don't understand how WIE and Sunspots were never even played live, let alone being there at almost every show...

Kyle
09-14-2013, 12:13 PM
There won't be any sort of "every other show" songs on this tour. Maybe one or two but variety will be minimal and for that reason I don't see Terrible Lie going anywhere.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-14-2013, 12:18 PM
There won't be any sort of "every other show" songs on this tour. Maybe one or two but variety will be minimal and for that reason I don't see Terrible Lie going anywhere.

Yeah, I imagine the setlist changes will be similar to that of the LITS shows: Maybe a couple songs rotated in/out a night, with one or two shows on the whole tour getting a song unique to that night, but the production definitely doesn't allow for the flexibility they had on the NINJA/Wave Goodbye tours. Programming lights and smoke machines is muuuch easier than a full-blown stage production with real people on stage moving gigantic screens back and forth across the stage.

I can see Trent doing another tour similar to Wave Goodbye in structure in the future, though. He seemed to enjoy changing things up literally every night of the tour more than playing relatively the same sets night-to-night.

ManBurning
09-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, obviously take what Mr. TR says with an extremely small grain of salt...

But judging from this interview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TdwvEJu2k&noredirect=1
(good interview BTW for those who have not heard it, check it out. Trent gets surprised by the interviewer a few times from the questions he is throwing out. not the "same old, same old")

He does say right at the start of the interview around 30 seconds: "I've spent alot of time thinking about what songs will be included in the setlist, some as we experimented in rehearsals didn't feel right anymore, didn't feel appropriate, and others that I may have dismissed at one time or another, for whatever reason, felt like they have a new life to them."

So, like I said, take that with a grain of salt, but that could *POTENTIALLY* mean we get a new re-worked version of The Perfect Drug? Maybe Sunposts and Where is Everybody might show up? A re-tooled version of Happiness? Ringfinger? The options are endless with his statement. Seems like some songs that he's used to play might be cut. Who really knows, i'd love to see an out of the norm arena setlist like how the NINJA tour sets were. Guess time will tell.

I can see Trent doing another tour similar to Wave Goodbye in structure in the future, though. He seemed to enjoy changing things up literally every night of the tour more than playing relatively the same sets night-to-night.

It really makes you wonder what compells TR to always want to "hit it out of the park" with these arena shows and basically out do his previous self with some gigantic tour. He has established that he doesn't need to have fancy lights and screens and machines rolling around on stage with the NINJA tour and still have an amazing stage presence/show. I thing the NINJA show I attended was probably one of the best NIN shows I had seen. Actually, the Toronto [With_Teeth] club show was #1 in my book with this being a close second. No arena show I have been to even comes close to being the top spot.

In the above interview I posted, he also talks about playing at different places, clubs, festivals, arenas etc. and how arenas are mainly used for sporting events so they are not meant for rock shows because rock shows sound like shit in them. So it makes you wonder... if TR dislikes playing arenas, not only to the point where the sound is garbage, but to the point where he feels the need to have this big elaborate stage production, why doesn't he do a more scaled back tour more often? Something where he can rotate all his songs every night. It's true, he did seem more into the show and relaxed and having a better time every night when he got to change his set.

I have heard him complain before about "oh, yeah here we go again gonna play Terrible Lie and HLAH for the 1000th time" Well, why play them then!? I asked a friend last weekend, how does the band put up with playing the same old songs every night, every tour... why don't they get sick of them? His response was, they do. They probably hate playing them as much as the die-hard fans likes hearing them at every show, the do it because TR is paying them $$$$$ to do it, they are at work, and work is usually a repetitive task, when you are at work you are usually doing the same thing (he used my job as an analogy here), and he said, it's a job for them, they don't care because they are getting paid.

True That. But still, if I were in Trent's shoes, i'd want to make my job exciting, so you don't fall in that boring routeen tour. I'd want to make it fun. At no point should a rockstar be BORED of his/her job, that is a dream job for almost anyone in the world.

m15a
09-14-2013, 01:23 PM
i haven't listened to that whole interview yet, so i can't respond directly to that. but i think that he simply plays arena shows because he can't fulfill the demand without playing arenas. if they only played clubs, there would be a lot of fans that couldn't get tickets. seeing the backlash that kraftwerk got for playing in the small MoMA venue last year, i expect fans would be pretty upset. (there were a lot of fans that were angry that tickets were so hard to get *and* that ticket purchases were limited, as illogical as that is.)

regarding feeling the "need" to have a big stage production, that might be sort of looking at it not exactly right. from other interviews, it doesn't seem like trent sees the production value as a necessary evil but instead as part of the artistry. i think he said he was very happy with the LitS tour.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-14-2013, 01:55 PM
i haven't listened to that whole interview yet, so i can't respond directly to that. but i think that he simply plays arena shows because he can't fulfill the demand without playing arenas. if they only played clubs, there would be a lot of fans that couldn't get tickets.

That's what I'm thinking. He has arena shows to meet the more general public's demand and keep the project in the ears of the public and keep a presence, then there are club shows for the "real" fans, where he can surround himself with a more dedicated fanbase and feed more off the crowd to bring a more various and energetic show.

Not to talk down on arenas, but he's kinda right about them not really being meant for music anymore. I've never been to a club show and thought, "Ya know, this would sound much better in an arena with 10 times more people."

Volband
09-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I wonder if Trent has the same gigglity feel towards some of his rarely or never been played music. After all, he did bust out Last and WITT on that Art Is Resistance mini show, and I doubt it was anything but pure fan-service. And he has to know about all the myth and legends about The Perfect Drug, yet he played his possible last live NIN act ever without it. Even if he personally doesn't dig TPD that much, if he played it at least one point it wouldn't even matter what version or alternate ending he'd choose, everyone would be stunned, that it's played and they are witnessing it first-hand.

And I could mention the other "never been played live" songs, but the TPD has the biggest fuss around it. Anyway, I'm just having a hard time believing Trent wouldn't enjoy playing some of these songs, at least in a fan-service way (though Last became a pretty solid part of the set lists for some time). Sure, he should enjoy his OWN show, but what's more enoyable than seeing your (super?)fans go apeshit when they realize, "oh shit, this is it!"? And they are not bad songs by any means, so it's not like we'd like him to suffer through Kinda I Want To just for our own joy.

screwdriver
09-14-2013, 02:08 PM
I wonder if Trent has the same gigglity feel towards some of his rarely or never been played music. After all, he did bust out Last and WITT on that Art Is Resistance mini show, and I doubt it was anything but pure fan-service. And he has to know about all the myth and legends about The Perfect Drug, yet he played his possible last live NIN act ever without it. Even if he personally doesn't dig TPD that much, if he played it at least one point it wouldn't even matter what version or alternate ending he'd choose, everyone would be stunned, that it's played and they are witnessing it first-hand.

And I could mention the other "never been played live" songs, but the TPD has the biggest fuss around it. Anyway, I'm just having a hard time believing Trent wouldn't enjoy playing some of these songs, at least in a fan-service way (though Last became a pretty solid part of the set lists for some time). Sure, he should enjoy his OWN show, but what's more enoyable than seeing your (super?)fans go apeshit when they realize, "oh shit, this is it!"? And they are not bad songs by any means, so it's not like we'd like him to suffer through Kinda I Want To just for our own joy.

I used to think he partly didn't want to play TPD because it would end up just being 99% backing track, but with the new songs / Kraftwerk style setup, they're already there anyway, so why not?

nooneimportant
09-14-2013, 06:10 PM

According to a fan, Trent had The Perfect Drug on the setlist for the Open Source Resistance show, and as you know "the Police" cut off the show during The Frail. He's well aware of the myth.

cynicmuse
09-15-2013, 05:14 AM
According to a fan, Trent had The Perfect Drug on the setlist for the Open Source Resistance show, and as you know "the Police" cut off the show during The Frail. He's well aware of the myth.
I really wish that I remembered what else was on that set list. I guess that there weren't any other unplayed songs on there.

I'm hoping more songs get the still/ghosts treatment this tour; I enjoyed the latest arrangement of SICNH.

theimage13
09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

I love Trent's sense of humor. I still want to see him use the first chord of that song just to check the tuning of his guitar and see how the crowd reacts.

ryanmcfly
09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Is 25-28 songs per show realistic to hope for?

Lastentrance
09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Trent seemed to lose enjoyment in the static quality of the LITS tour, so I reckon there'll be a lot of light and shade between shows on this tour. I also expect (or maybe I'm just really hoping) that we'll get some rare treats. So far, other than the new songs, the updated Sanctified has been the only major new addition. Seems odd that that song sits on its own.

I'd kill for The Mark Has Been Made and Just Like You Imagined. It has been a while... Would be more than happy with Fragile/HM heavy sets over greatest hits gigs (as incredible as they are)!

ryanmcfly
09-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, I think The Line Begins to Blur will get played often. I've always thought that he enjoys playing that one. Not to mention Somewhat Damaged, La Mer, and The Day the World Went Away. I hope Ruiner or The Big Come Down make rounds in the setlist though.

FULLMETAL
09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
I was looking online for some info on Live Nation's monopoly on concert promoters/venues and found this blurb about kickbacks from a NJ venue: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/01/nj_sports_and_exposition_autho_1.html

If you care about such things, you can check out the contract for NIN's 2008 show at the Izod Center. There's nothing crazy in it, but it is interesting to read the stipulations about merchandise percentages, recordings, and performance approval.

Alvetica
09-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I vaguely remember this. Wasn't there a whole setlist for that show?

fillow
09-20-2013, 03:23 AM
^^^
there was. good luck finding it though.

slave2thewage
09-20-2013, 07:32 AM
After all, he did bust out Last and WITT on that Art Is Resistance mini show, and I doubt it was anything but pure fan-service.
That combination happened at regular shows on Performance. Well, one that I know of.

Moebius
09-20-2013, 07:55 AM
I was looking online for some info on Live Nation's monopoly on concert promoters/venues and found this blurb about kickbacks from a NJ venue: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/01/nj_sports_and_exposition_autho_1.html

If you care about such things, you can check out the contract for NIN's 2008 show at the Izod Center. There's nothing crazy in it, but it is interesting to read the stipulations about merchandise percentages, recordings, and performance approval.

The embedded viewer is obnoxiously small; here's a direct link (http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/283377-njsea.html#p1434) to the NIN contract (p. 1434) in a full-page viewer.

jmtd
09-20-2013, 02:17 PM
That combination happened at regular shows on Performance. Well, one that I know of.

I can only think of one time they were played at the same show and that was the air show.

TheBang
09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I can only think of one time they were played at the same show and that was the air show.
One other time:

http://www.nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=634

Harry Seaward
09-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Holy shit! Eight band members?! Do I spot Saul Williams?

(Check TR's Instagram!)

Leviathant
09-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Holy shit! Eight band members?! Do I spot Saul Williams?

(Check TR's Instagram!)

That wasn't Saul Williams, it was Pino Palladino. ;)

Harry Seaward
09-25-2013, 11:51 PM
lol I obviously meant the other person on the mic that isn't the chick.

slave2thewage
09-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Sounded like two female vocalists to me.

ltrandazzo
09-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Sounded like two female vocalists to me.

I hear two ladies, and saw two ladies on the quick camera move.

slave2thewage
09-25-2013, 11:57 PM
This is giving me Ziggy Stardust vibes. <3 <3

Scarlet Siren
09-26-2013, 05:48 AM
I booked my flights to fly over from Scotland for LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Portland shows. ARGH!!!! Can't flipping wait!!!!

Ash512
09-26-2013, 05:21 PM
So the rehearsal setlist on Setlist.fm was taken down.
I don't know if this was discussed in the tour fapping thread before it was locked, but god, I hope that set was bogus.
I'm going to four concerts this time around, I hope it's more than 19 songs.

slave2thewage
09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm 99.99999% sure it was fake.

Kyle
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
The fact that when the guy who submitted it commented but never mentioned the 853 band members on stage, I think it's a safe bet it was fake.

Ryan
09-26-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm very, very aroused at the prospect of the Tension Tour set lists.

Kyle
09-26-2013, 10:19 PM

sexual tension?

Kyle
09-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Btw what is the name Tension referring to anyway? There's no real connection to the album name.

NINisamazing
09-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Mind blown!

Ryan
09-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Btw what is the name Tension referring to anyway? There's no real connection to the album name.

Probably cause it sounds cool and is alliterative. Tension Tour Twenty Thirteen.

Krazy
09-26-2013, 11:50 PM

Easy- the bickering of random fan forum members.

:P

Yeah, I think its a cool name for a NIN tour but doesn't tie in directly to something like Self Destruct or LITS. Just the usual NIN angst.

Ryan
09-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I think it ties into the "tension" of the Russel Mills artwork variants.

Kyle
09-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Easy- the bickering of random fan forum members.

:P

Yeah, I think its a cool name for a NIN tour but doesn't tie in directly to something like Self Destruct or LITS. Just the usual NIN angst.

No. I am not being argumentative. That's a stupid thing to say.

captainbeyond
09-27-2013, 12:06 AM
from the npr interview:

"In this particular song [Copy of A], yeah. It's about tension. It's about layers of complexity that don't feel showy, that don't feel like, 'Look at all the things I can put in here.' Things suddenly creep in."

So it makes me wonder if that if that idea correlates with his idea of whatever the format of this tour may be.

Kyle
09-27-2013, 12:22 AM
from the npr interview:

So it makes me wonder if that if that idea correlates with his idea of whatever the format of this tour may be.

That actually kinda reminds me of one of the things I liked about the web stream of the made in America show. You didn't really see the band members walk on stage. The camera angle switched and they were there. Gave a very different vibe from the one at the show and I kinda liked it.

Emil Dorbell
09-27-2013, 03:44 AM

I'll be watching A LOT of youtube clips this sunday.

That other guy
09-27-2013, 06:34 AM
I booked my flights to fly over from Scotland for LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Portland shows. ARGH!!!! Can't flipping wait!!!!

Thats dedication....Have fun.

That other guy
09-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Maybe the setlist will start slowly and get more angry, building "Tension"....

tony.parente
09-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Maybe the setlist will start slowly and get more angry, building "Tension"....
I don't.
I hope the third night of the tour has the best setlist and the rest of the tour has "Tension" hoping that it will be as good.

:)

Scarlet Siren
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Just showed the Instagram post to my work hubby, he said it reminded him of Bowie/Talking Heads.

There's a good reason why he's my work hubby....

That other guy
09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't.
I hope the third night of the tour has the best setlist and the rest of the tour has "Tension" hoping that it will be as good.

:)

No the Cleveland Show will have the best....:rolleyes:

m15a
09-27-2013, 10:55 AM

my interpretation is that "tension" and "hesitation" are related words. hesitation means "delay due to uncertainty of mind or fear" or "a state of doubt or uncertainty", and tension means "mental or emotional strain; intense, suppressed suspense, anxiety, or excitement."

you can have tension because of hesitation or you can hesitate because of tension.
the words are also sort of related in their musical sense. a hesitation (like a rest before a resolution) can cause musical tension.

Just showed the Instagram post to my work hubby, he said it reminded him of Bowie/Talking Heads.

There's a good reason why he's my work hubby....

i was about to like this post, but . . work hubby? that's a thing? what does it involve? :D (google shows that it's a thing. but i've never heard of it . . )

Binky007
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Judging from what seemed to be a very tumultuous re-organization of the band so shortly before the tour and the departures of members, I can only imagine what might have been going on behind the scenes in rehearsals...I think "Tension" is probably a apt way to characterize it. I think it is TR's "tongue in cheek" way to sum it up. I half expected someone to leave even prior to the first show of Tension though I am happy that it hasn't turned out that way.

botley
09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Lisa answered me on Twitter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/botley/F88D6754-DDAD-4F7B-922D-3BC355BA2718-3121-000003601AA571D2_zps12eb8e24.jpg

jessamineny
09-27-2013, 01:30 PM
I chuckled when I saw that the two of us are the only ones she responded to :)

simonn
09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Wonder what the chances are of Trent resurrecting the James Cameron 3D Bluray/DVD idea for this tour...? I'm wondering if the reason for a 2 night stint at The Joint is to sort filming out? Or is it just that's only a 4,000 seater - presuming the other US venues are larger than this?

RJK
09-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Wonder what the chances are of Trent resurrecting the James Cameron 3D Bluray/DVD idea for this tour...? I'm wondering if the reason for a 2 night stint at The Joint is to sort filming out? Or is it just that's only a 4,000 seater - presuming the other US venues are larger than this?

I definitely think there is a good chance for a Blu ray/DVD. With NIN being on Columbia now I'm sure the label wants to make a few more dollars. Probably the reason there is no open tapping policy.

WorzelG
09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
^^^Oh no, does that mean we're unlikely to get youtube footage anywhere?

RJK
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
^^^Oh no, does that mean we're unlikely to get youtube footage anywhere?

Probably not as much but people have been tapping stuff well before there was an open policy. They'll find a way to do it on this tour.

Fist Fuck
09-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Alright fuckers, since Leviathant is taking an awful long time to get home (dude, where does he work?), I guess this is the place to fap now.

My question is: When is part 2 of that VEVO behind the scenes video coming out? I thought there were more parts for NIN 2013, turns out part 2 is about Tension 2013, and that'll be it?

Also, I'd love to think there will be a live DVD. Not filming this show properly would be a waste and on-stage videos or fan projects wouldn't do this show justice.

halo33
09-27-2013, 06:05 PM

now that Metallica beat him to it, I seriously doubt he is considering it.

billpulsipher
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
If he wants to film the show properly, he should hire Anton Corbijn to film it. Depeche Mode's "Devotional' is one of the greatest concert films ever.

RJK
09-27-2013, 06:34 PM

U2 did it before Lights in the Sky even happened.

I don't think NIN will do a theatrical release, but you never know.

Digital_Man
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM
will the setlist be updated song by song on here tomorrow night?

Ryan
09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I hope so, the 29th is my birthday and we're a day ahead. :)

Digital_Man
09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
do you think theres a chance of the setlist being leaked?

snaapz
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Wow what? 8 members? I've been checking out some of the additional members on youtube, definitely has me wondering what to expect now! Some excellent artists/musicians.

That teaser shared on twitter sounds fucking slick! Looking forward to Toronto's show.

So - I see a back lit backdrop; done with the risers or perhaps not used for this song...

Anyways - embarrassing secret - my wife has got me semi hooked on the tv show 'The Voice' - it's really not a bad show. Nothing like idol or x fact, which i think is garbage most of the time. The Voice has given me a different appreciation for vocals so, let's see where TR takes us!

Kyle
09-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Hipster Trent. Somebody else did it. I can't.

halo33
09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Hipster Trent. Somebody else did it. I can't.

http://i.imgur.com/RMivD5V.jpg

nobies
09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
10 bucks says they play Sin and Pino just plays the keys or something.

Ryan
09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
It comes down to this
female backing vocal-ists!

snaapz
09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I've listened to that practice clip a few times now, sounds so fucking good with that bass and the female vox.

MONKEYlovesYOU
09-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Talk about surprises! That chicks voice is epic!

Volband
09-27-2013, 10:03 PM
10 bucks says they play Sin and Pino just plays the keys or something.
Oh man, Sin with additional female vocals is my wet dream.

simonn
09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Alright fuckers, since Leviathant is taking an awful long time to get home (dude, where does he work?), I guess this is the place to fap now.

My question is: When is part 2 of that VEVO behind the scenes video coming out? I thought there were more parts for NIN 2013, turns out part 2 is about Tension 2013, and that'll be it?

Also, I'd love to think there will be a live DVD. Not filming this show properly would be a waste and on-stage videos or fan projects wouldn't do this show justice.

I'd always assumed that part 2 would be Tension related, and as such probably won't be released until the end of the US run. Shame. I could watch 'dull' behind the scenes shit all day!

simonn
09-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Ha, I very nearly wrote that in my original question, but in a tongue in cheek way. However, as the Metallica one is feature film with concert footage (don't know what the split is to be fair, I'd guess 70% concert 30% film), maybe he'd be the first to release a full 3D concert on Bluray. Anyone know why U2 didn't ever release theirs to home audiences?

m15a
09-27-2013, 11:35 PM
I'd always assumed that part 2 would be Tension related, and as such probably won't be released until the end of the US run. Shame. I could watch 'dull' behind the scenes shit all day!

someone official (Rob?) said that part 2 would be about the Tension Tour. they might not wait until the end of the tour, though. since everyone knows there'll be footage up on youtube/vine anyway.

Ha, I very nearly wrote that in my original question, but in a tongue in cheek way. However, as the Metallica one is feature film with concert footage (don't know what the split is to be fair, I'd guess 70% concert 30% film), maybe he'd be the first to release a full 3D concert on Bluray. Anyone know why U2 didn't ever release theirs to home audiences?

i'm not sure what the ratio of concert to non-concert is, but there have been a bunch of 3D concert released on blu-ray: jonas brothers, miley cyrus, katy perry, justin bieber . . . don't think it'd be very innovative simply for being a 3D concert film.

NINisamazing
09-27-2013, 11:59 PM
What practice clip?!?!??!

Nevermind/

I was sorta hoping for an electronic version of all time low, doesnt really sound like it from that really short clip.
I dont know what I feel about this. Sounds uncomfortable to me LOL, I guess next week friday and saturday will be full of surprises. :)

Even more exited

nooneimportant
09-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Pino might give some songs completely new life, and that is just fantastic. I know it will never happen but I can imagine Pino just tearing into the bassline for Maybe Just Once.

simonn
09-28-2013, 05:25 AM
i'm not sure what the ratio of concert to non-concert is, but there have been a bunch of 3D concert released on blu-ray: jonas brothers, miley cyrus, katy perry, justin bieber . . . don't think it'd be very innovative simply for being a 3D concert film.

..except this would be the first by a credible artist:p

slave2thewage
09-28-2013, 06:08 AM
HDU, Katy Perry is awesome live.

halo33
09-28-2013, 09:40 AM
maybe he'd be the first to release a full 3D concert on Bluray.

Smashing Pumpkins just released theirs last week.
http://2a56b976980e0793ddee-5cc5435fcbc367bb03f9a415e7067a97.r91.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/smashing-pumpkins-oceania-nyc.jpg
good show I might add! (getting rail was much easier for SP ;))

simonn
09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
HDU, Katy Perry is awesome live.

I'm so not down with the kids. Had to look up what HDU meant. First thought - what the fuck has a 'high dependency unit' got to do with anything!?!:p

thefragile_jake
09-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I could really care less if it's 3D, I just would love another physically released live DVD/Blu Ray to own. With ambitious as Tension is looking like it'll be, I'm sure Trent will record a show at some point for future release. Fingers crossed anyway.

Digital_Man
09-28-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm so excited for tonight, I just wish it was 8 already