PDA

View Full Version : halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29

TR2N
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I am through the first listening of the Audiophile Mastering version and I must say, that this version is the keeper for me. It sounds deeper, more detailed and wider anyhow.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
it's an iTunes exclusive. so . . . yeah, probably on youtube or a torrent or something. :p

ahhh LAME.
Ok - thanks! Sigh - back to record company bullcrap - exclusive this here, exclusive that there, buy 5 versions of the product from 3 different retailers in order to get all the tracks, blah blah blah.
One would have thought buying the "DELUXE" version should have covered it.

howdidislipinto
09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I agree with this. Like I have said before, how fucking many versions do I need to buy?? Because I buy somewhere other than NIN.com, I get penalized?? I bought every physical version, and now I have to spend another $12 for a god damned download. It is not a matter of the money... it is more like we are paying for Trent's planned retirement by buying a copy of a copy of a copy of copy...

What's going over your head is that you haven't been "penalized." You got everything you paid for. If you don't want to pay more, awesome, and if you steal the audiophile version I doubt anyone here would judge you (other than if you actually ask for links to copyrighted material, which is against the rules). But at no point during any of your transactions were you fucked over.

it is included in any media/edition purchase from nin.com

...which you didn't buy...

Amaro
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Lemme just say--HM is a damn good Fall record. I can feel it already with this cool September day...

Yeah, fecking bitch.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
ahhh LAME.
Ok - thanks! Sigh - back to record company bullcrap - exclusive this here, exclusive that there, buy 5 versions of the product from 3 different retailers in order to get all the tracks, blah blah blah.
One would have thought buying the "DELUXE" version should have covered it.

Let me double that "LAME". Jesus - so I buy the DELUXE version of the CD - I remembered the tracklist that was released a while ago for what I thought was the DELUXE - so I expected to get the "in conversation with" and I buy through NIN.com thinking that is the most direct way to support the artist - and not only is that one track only on the ITUNES "Deluxe" version - but its an "album only" track? I have to buy the whole freaking album over again in order to get that track??

f that.

PhoenixML
09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't believe I'm the only one who bought one version of Hesitation Marks here... right?

Harry Seaward
09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Let me double that "LAME". Jesus - so I buy the DELUXE version of the CD - I remembered the tracklist that was released a while ago for what I thought was the DELUXE - so I expected to get the "in conversation with" and I buy through NIN.com thinking that is the most direct way to support the artist - and not only is that one track only on the ITUNES "Deluxe" version - but its an "album only" track? I have to buy the whole freaking album over again in order to get that track??

f that.

Yeah, fuck Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails because some of his fans have the reading comprehension of a rock.

ninsp
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Just grabbed the vinyl. It has a CD. Is the deluxe edition even worth it to buy?

mr9inchnail
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Amazing!

brendan klein (Support)
Sep 03 10:01 (PDT)
hey Sean, those vinyls are backordered (label can't seem to keep up with production) We'll be re-shipping them as soon as we get them.
BK

Regards,
Brendan
Support Team

Mr.Metheus
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't believe I'm the only one who bought one version of Hesitation Marks here... right?

I bought two different versions, but only because I wasn't smart enough to order the Deluxe Edition the first time.

_minus
09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Just grabbed the vinyl. It has a CD. Is the deluxe edition even worth it to buy?

The DE CD comes with a booklet AND a hardcover book. It was worth it to me. Pre-ordered both.

Bad Wolf
09-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Was pleasantly surprised to see a new NIN poster put up across the street from where I work in Chicago. This time it's this cover- http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/style820_546/public/130827-nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-cover-art-stream-itunes.jpg

chroipahtz
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Was pleasantly surprised to see a new NIN poster put up across the street from where I work in Chicago. This time it's this cover- http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/style820_546/public/130827-nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-cover-art-stream-itunes.jpg
That's a pretty schizoid poster to put up in public.

I love it.

xolotl
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Yes, you bought the DELUXE version of the CD. Which will get you: the DELUXE version of the CD. It's an awesome-looking package, has the full printed lyrics with gorgeous art, plus bonus remixes which you don't get from any other version. At no point did that version pretend to have the Conversation track on it. Your misunderstanding doesn't mean you got somehow cheated.

I mean, I agree that exclusive tracks are annoying - they always have been. But nobody was trying to trick you here. It is what it is.

Amaro
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, fuck Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails because some of his fans have the reading comprehension of a rock.

Honestly, for whatever reasons I also was confused about the Conversation track and what version it would end up on... Well, after I realized it might not have been the physical DE (the only version I pre-ordered), like I could swear it said it was going to be on, at one point.

I may have been ignoring any mention of iTunes in my reading early on because I kinda just loathe iTunes (the service).

dbrekke
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Got it!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTQTabtCcAAH6rz.jpg

screwdriver
09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't smoke pot anymore but this album is really making me wanna get high and crank up the speakers.

I spent the weekend at a beach, and went for a bike ride listening to it the whole way through, and it was beautiful. The ebbs and flows are very nice.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes, you bought the DELUXE version of the CD. Which will get you: the DELUXE version of the CD. It's an awesome-looking package, has the full printed lyrics with gorgeous art, plus bonus remixes which you don't get from any other version. At no point did that version pretend to have the Conversation track on it. Your misunderstanding doesn't mean you got somehow cheated.

I mean, I agree that exclusive tracks are annoying - they always have been. But nobody was trying to trick you here. It is what it is.

you people are hilarious - really.
I never said I was "cheated", or "tricked" or that anything "pretended" to be something its not. I ADMITTED that I misunderstood something not reading clear enough before
(Harry Seaward can go f himself - btw - speaking of "reading comprehension Harry Seaward, I said "f that" at the idea of buying the album again for one track - didnt say "f trent reznor" or "f Nine Inch Nails" despite your best try to make it sound like I did. )
Im happy with what I got - Ive been a fan since 89 and have been happy to pay for my music and STILL pay for anything unless its out of print. Im not buying it again for one track. Simple as that. like I said "f that"
See - you guys get all defensive for nothing.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Honestly, for whatever reasons I also was confused about the Conversation track and what version it would end up on... Well, after I realized it might not have been the physical DE (the only version I pre-ordered), like I could swear it said it was going to be on, at one point.

I may have been ignoring any mention of iTunes in my reading early on because I kinda just loathe iTunes (the service).

you were confused too? imagine that. I guess Harry Seaward has us all figured out though - as we apparently have the reading comprehension of a rock.
Glad to know Im not the only rock here.

fabripav
09-03-2013, 12:35 PM
My goHastings.com order went through...shipped. 2 HMs, just under 5 buckaroos after s/h.

LOOKS LIKE WE WON.
You lucky US bastards. We deserved a seller error too!

Lemme just say--HM is a damn good Fall record. I can feel it already with this cool September day...

Yeah, fecking bitch.

This, just like Overgrown by James Blake.

Little_Dreamer
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
you were confused too? imagine that. I guess Harry Seaward has us all figured out though - as we apparently have the reading comprehension of a rock.
Glad to know Im not the only rock here.

apparently, I'm a rock too. I could swear it said nothing about the Conversation track being iTunes only in the beginning.

mr9inchnail
09-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Got it!

nin.com preorder?

chroipahtz
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Got it!

Jesus that thing looks crazy.

So uh... do we have vinyl rips yet? :>

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 12:43 PM
apparently, I'm a rock too. I could swear it said nothing about the Conversation track being iTunes only in the beginning.

Im starting the "NIN Rock club". You can join if you can comprehend the disclaimer agreement we will send to your email, but since most cant - it keeps the club from becoming too large. :)
BTW, Harry Seaward is our unofficial leader - but he has yet to respond to any of my invites to our monthly socials.
We will keep trying though.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 12:47 PM
So, its ok to ask for rips of the vinyl - another version people PAY FOR, basically a slightly different SOUNDING version - yet everyone jumps all over that guy for asking for a rip of the Audiophile version - a different SOUNDING version?

_minus
09-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Not trying to take anything away from your rampage or anything, but you'd probably draw less ire if you used the multi-quote function and gathered all your thoughts into one nice-and-tidy post rather than what appears to have been intended as a quadruple-post.

chroipahtz
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
So, its ok to ask for rips of the vinyl - another version people PAY FOR, basically a slightly different SOUNDING version - yet everyone jumps all over that guy for asking for a rip of the Audiophile version - a different SOUNDING version?
If you're talking to me, I'm not asking for someone to give me rips, I'm just asking whether or not they already exist and are out there. I paid for the album; I have no quandaries about finding out if I can get the best version of it possible.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
If you're talking to me, I'm not asking for someone to give me rips, I'm just asking whether or not they already exist and are out there. I paid for the album; I have no quandaries about finding out if I can get the best version of it possible.
I have no complaint about anything you said, I just found all the pouncing on the guy who asked for a link to the audiophile version to be a bit much.
Seems to be the way around here though.

Powhatan
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Not trying to take anything away from your rampage or anything, but you'd probably draw less ire if you used the multi-quote function and gathered all your thoughts into one nice-and-tidy post rather than what appears to have been intended as a quadruple-post.

rampage? really?

Substance242
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
OK, you convinced me to buy $12 download just for the Audiophile version. :-)

As for the Everything song, for me it's like when you have problem with e.g. alcohol, and then you are sober for 4 months. Feeling much better physically and mentally, fixing broken and neglected things one by one, getting good responses from family and friends, everything is going so well and staying sober is easy! I am the king of the world! But actually, you are in quite vulnerable position, not knowing the war is not over yet. Sometimes you think - maybe the problems were not that bad... I am probably OK now and forever will be, I can drink one beer this sunny afternoon... everything is perfect, what could go wrong?

ComradeCornhole
09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
How does a vinyl rip sound, anyway? Vinyls are mastered with less DRC, right? Does that come through in a rip? Worth checking out?

Amaro
09-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Got it!

Honest opinion?

So goddamn gorgeous.

chroipahtz
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
How does a vinyl rip sound, anyway? Vinyls are mastered with less DRC, right? Does that come through in a rip? Worth checking out?
FWIW: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=hesitation (vinyl included)

ChasingTheGhost
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Got mine is my hand. The store didn't have a NIN promotion ready so I have to go back later.

minarets77
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM

A little bit quieter but if ripped well, yes you can hear the benefits of the vinyl master. There are a couple vinyl rips out there already.

S. Chonson
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Picked the Deluxe Edition up at Best Buy today. I have a pre order coming in from Amazon but I wanted to hear it now and UPS doesn't come until close to 8PM anyways. I'll just give that one to my girlfriend for her birthday tomorrow.

xolotl
09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Just got my nin.com Deluxe+Vinyl order in the mail, woo! I'm curious if anyone else's vinyl ended up having shredded/abraded edges on their internal slipcovers, though, like so: https://plus.google.com/photos/115944897506245739524/albums/5919461165302960001?authkey=CJSbvtixjqOn_wE

Interestingly, it wasn't just the "outer" edge which had damage, on the second record - the one on the inside did, too. Especially given that the outer package itself is spotless, I assume that damage happened sometime before packaging, which makes me think there might be a series of them which'll have this problem.

(I emailed modlife to see about maybe getting replacement slipcovers, I'll see how that turns out. In the end I care a lot more for the vinyl itself than the packaging, so whatever (and the vinyl itself was fine), it'd be nice to have the pristine art, though.)

Edit: Well, that was quick - "Sorry about the damage. We will send another out to you." Hopefully they're just talking about sending new slipcovers; it would seem a bit wasteful to get a whole new package. Time will tell!

mr9inchnail
09-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Just got my nin.com Deluxe+Vinyl order in the mail, woo! I'm curious if anyone else's vinyl ended up having shredded/abraded edges on their internal slipcovers, though, like so: https://plus.google.com/photos/115944897506245739524/albums/5919461165302960001?authkey=CJSbvtixjqOn_wE

Interestingly, it wasn't just the "outer" edge which had damage, on the second record - the one on the inside did, too. Especially given that the outer package itself is spotless, I assume that damage happened sometime before packaging, which makes me think there might be a series of them which'll have this problem.

(I emailed modlife to see about maybe getting replacement slipcovers, I'll see how that turns out. In the end I care a lot more for the vinyl itself than the packaging, so whatever (and the vinyl itself was fine), it'd be nice to have the pristine art, though.)

Ouch! I hope mine doesn't arrive like that... once it actually arrives. I'm glad to see that some of you are receiving your vinyl from NIN.com preorders. Any signatures?

xolotl
09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Any signatures?
Nope, no autographs (or signatures-required-for-delivery, if that's what you had meant).

And yeah, good luck on getting yours, saw your problems in the other thread. Interestingly, mine was order 251, apparently you and I got the preorder notifications at nearly the same time.

zecho
09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know if the iTunes digital booklet is any different than the PDF that you get from nin.com?

EDIT: Also, what is iTunes LP?

mr9inchnail
09-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Nope, no autographs (or signatures-required-for-delivery, if that's what you had meant).

And yeah, good luck on getting yours, saw your problems in the other thread. Interestingly, mine was order 251, apparently you and I got the preorder notifications at nearly the same time.

LOL... autographs was what I meant.

Damn it! Why couldn't I have ordered mine 4 order numbers before I did =P

staleincense
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Mine had a minor greasemark that I had to clean before it would play, could that be it?
Actually, there does seem to be some dirt on the disc....

and yeah, the irritating thing was that it actually got to "I Would For You" before it started messing up.

allegro
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on August 26, 2013 (Order# 1xx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Nine Inch Nails "Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)"
New Delivery Estimate: September 05, 2013

We will make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/youraccount) at no additional cost.

AgentofChaos
09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
No surfacing of that Autolux remix yet? Anyone heard it in full yet? I'm very curious.

dbrekke
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah, no autograph (or crayon marks) on my vinyl copy :(

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Well.. I was hoping some of you were right with the whole "USPS tracking is wrong. Maybe you'll get it release day after all." stuff. I kept my hopes held high, but.. USPS and UPS both came by today.. No album :/ guess I won't be getting my pre-ordered album until Saturday after all.

As a matter of fact, it's still sitting in California, same place it has been since August 30th. I guess they're not in too much of a hurry to get it to PA.

Jon
09-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Just got my nin.com Deluxe+Vinyl order in the mail, woo! I'm curious if anyone else's vinyl ended up having shredded/abraded edges on their internal slipcovers, though, like so: https://plus.google.com/photos/115944897506245739524/albums/5919461165302960001?authkey=CJSbvtixjqOn_wE Interestingly, it wasn't just the "outer" edge which had damage, on the second record - the one on the inside did, too. Especially given that the outer package itself is spotless, I assume that damage happened sometime before packaging, which makes me think there might be a series of them which'll have this problem. (I emailed modlife to see about maybe getting replacement slipcovers, I'll see how that turns out. In the end I care a lot more for the vinyl itself than the packaging, so whatever (and the vinyl itself was fine), it'd be nice to have the pristine art, though.) Edit: Well, that was quick - "Sorry about the damage. We will send another out to you." Hopefully they're just talking about sending new slipcovers; it would seem a bit wasteful to get a whole new package. Time will tell! Mine arrived with a 2 inch gash much like yours. The damage on mine affects both panels, the slipcovers, and even th sides of the vinyl are nicked/scraped in those spots... there was also a huge gouge in th front of the shipping packaging. Is it normal to receive a package with no invoice (shipping/payment) whatsoever?

xolotl
09-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Mine arrived with a 2 inch gash much like yours. The damage on mine affects both panels, the slipcovers, and even th sides of the vinyl are nicked/scraped in those spots... there was also a huge gouge in th front of the shipping packaging. Is it normal to receive a package with no invoice (shipping/payment) whatsoever?

Ouch, sounds much worse than mine. I don't know if it's normal per se, but mine came without an invoice as well.

pigpen
09-03-2013, 02:14 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/JoeyZPD/IMG_20130903_140112_zps1ea07a1d.jpg
Found a couple posters around town, and then I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any random promo stuff and he handed me these:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/JoeyZPD/IMG_20130903_140215_zpse3f98146.jpg

Ouch, that is the EXACT reason I chose to cancel my order and just go pick one up at the record store.
I've had so many shitty experiences with getting records shipped to me, I couldn't risk it with Hesitation
Marks.
Sorry to see this man, nothing worse than seam splits..

Thudpaw
09-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I very much doubt it was Flood. I just don't see that being the different voice he was looking for-a little too safe, which TR says he was trying to avoid. Rundgren? While I'm sure that TR respects the work that Rundgren has done, this doesn't seem like the type of music that he would be working on.

What about Rick Rubin? Brian Eno?
I just read something (and I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me remember where) but it did in fact mention Rick Rubin working with NIN. That's who I initially thought when I heard the "Conversation with.."

nashstat
09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Finally heard the audiophile version a few times on different systems. To start off with I could not tell the difference using my Shure headphones, I did notice that the audiphile mix was a little bit quiter in general.

Car System: Camaro with 10 speaker custom setup using JBL MS-8 and JL Audio sub/pioneer Amp. I could clearly notice a difference in my car. Tracks such as Satellite and Various Methods... had a much lower bass volume and you could hear the different bass frequencies. In the standard mix, the low end bass would cut off all the other different bass frequencies! I am definetely going to use the audiophile version in my car.

Home Theater System: Have a decent home theater setup with polk audio RTi Series speakers that are bi-amped powered by an Onkyo amp and a 12 inch BA sub. This is more the $2k range for a system and not the $5k high-end audio that many have talked about. There was a clear difference here, again the low level (bass) was not overpowering and you could hear a lot of the small guitar parts/sounds in the songs that I could not detect in the standard version.

Now that I know these sounds are there, I can hear them in the standard version as well, but it took the audiophile version to discover them.

I have been told that my ears are a little more sensitive than the average set of ears (which is why I have all this audio jargain at home/car), but I do not think most people will even realize the difference between the two versions minus the fact that the audiophile version is a little lower in volume than the standard!

User Andy Gaskin from twitter (@andygaskin) uploaded this image (http://gaskinmedia.com/nin-audio/nin-audiophile.gif)which shows you the difference in the volumes (I do not know him, but NINHOTLINE retweeted his tweet)

Hope this helps!

jesus
09-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Ok "In Two" is the best track ever, not just the robo part but the chorus in falseto, and the breakdown like mr. selfdestruct or with teeth, is like WOW O_O .... I needed to say this

pigpen
09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Also, GOD DAMN does this record sound amazing on vinyl!

chemnitz
09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Picked up the standard edition Friday, deluxe and vinyl arrived today. Thankfully my vinyl arrived in pretty good condition save a little warp-age. Having listened every mix through my audio-not quite-phile rig, the vinyl mix is by far noticeably different (even to the untrained ear) and fantastic. Anyone know if the CD that comes with the vinyl is mastered differently from the others? It looks identical to the deluxe version. Hope everyone else's packages arrive on time!

Ray1971
09-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I got my DE today!

InvitingmeAway
09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
I feel like the audiophile has a more crisp sound. More detail for sure.

NINisamazing
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I sorta hate the review from pitchfork, they backhanded accused trent of ripping from the knife an the xx, different from his arena rattling influences? Like who pitchfork, wtf are you talking about? They pretty much say his lyrics suck, yet they praise yeezus and Rick Ross. Ok, fuck you pitchfork.

fabripav
09-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Listening to a (very good) vinyl rip, there's a robot voice in the background in a bit of Copy of A (3:50, "doing everything I'm told to do). Wtf, didn't expect that

chroipahtz
09-03-2013, 03:34 PM
My current two obsessions are Hesitation Marks and Breaking Bad. There is a lot of crossover here. In my mind I'm imagining corny fan videos of the show themed to each individual songs from HM, and a lot of them fit.

pigpen
09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Listening to a (very good) vinyl rip, there's a robot voice in the background in a bit of Copy of A (3:50, "doing everything I'm told to do). Wtf, didn't expect that

Where might one acquire this vinyl rip you speak of? I bought the vinyl today, but lack the equipment and/or know-how to do a decent vinyl rip myself...

Edit: If you could pm me, that'd be awesome!

ninsp
09-03-2013, 03:48 PM
My stereo system is pretty high end and the vinyl sings way better than the audiophile version. Which is still awesome. But Find My Way sounds dense as hell and the bass isn't so boomy. There's a lot more dynamic room, too.

fabripav
09-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Where might one acquire this vinyl rip you speak of? I bought the vinyl today, but lack the equipment and/or know-how to do a decent vinyl rip myself...

Edit: If you could pm me, that'd be awesome!
Sent you a pm.

Haven't heard the audiophile version yet, but the vinyl master is quite a lot different from the normal one. A fuckload of low end, and more detail in general. Fantastic.

katalyze
09-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Edit: Well, that was quick - "Sorry about the damage. We will send another out to you." Hopefully they're just talking about sending new slipcovers; it would seem a bit wasteful to get a whole new package. Time will tell!

This happened to me with the HTDA pre-order through Modlife. They sent another copy of the vinyl, and it had the same issue with the sleeves and outer edges being torn. After the second time they refunded my money (I pointed out that I could have just gone to a local store and bought an undamaged copy).

baudolino
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
i could sweat i just heard another sax in find my way

Kyle
09-03-2013, 04:23 PM
i could sweat i just heard another sax in find my way
Before I realized that was a typo (you never know with this crowd ;) ), I had a very different mental picture of what you typed.

minusthesnake
09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
There are definitely more subtle details present in Trent's layered vocals in the audiophile mix, whereas I do hear less of a 'bite' on certain beats (Satellite and others?). Really not sure which to keep. Listened through Macbook Pro speakers, general external speakers, and those $20 Sony headphones.

Yeah, the audiophile version kinda killed "Satellite" for me, it just lost all of that bite/personality. I'm just going to keep both versions for now and try them on different systems as I can.

NINfan04
09-03-2013, 05:01 PM
I've only listened to HM a couple of times so far but here's what I think...

There is NO SUCH THING as a "bad" NIN album. That being stated, I have to rate HM based on other records Trent has done since being sober (from With Teeth to HM). You can't compare HM with PHM, Broken, TDS, or The Fragile because it was a different evolutionary period for NIN. To expect the next NIN record to be a "copy of a" previous NIN album is ridiculous.

My opinion will probably change over time but for now (didn't include Ghosts, remixes, scores/soundtracks or anything pre WT):

With Teeth
Hesitation Marks
The Slip
Year Zero

tony.parente
09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eXCuplr.png
So according to livenation NIN will be playing Hesitation Marks in its entirety including some "old favorites".
I know I know, they won't...but I can still dream.

fabripav
09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
For everyone looking for the vinyl rip, google "hesitation marks vinyl rip", should be the 5th link you see.

cheeseprocedure
09-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Now that I know these sounds are there, I can hear them in the standard version as well, but it took the audiophile version to discover them.

I have been told that my ears are a little more sensitive than the average set of ears (which is why I have all this audio jargain at home/car), but I do not think most people will even realize the difference between the two versions minus the fact that the audiophile version is a little lower in volume than the standard!

User Andy Gaskin from twitter (@andygaskin) uploaded this image (http://gaskinmedia.com/nin-audio/nin-audiophile.gif)which shows you the difference in the volumes (I do not know him, but NINHOTLINE retweeted his tweet)

Hope this helps!

I agree... I heard a lot more stuff in the audiophile version that I hadnt heard in the standard before but now that I know the parts are there I can hear them pretty clearly. I compared them a couple times last night but this is the first listen through at an appropriate volume. I am listening through a Sony 1200 watt 7.1 surround (not amazing but its what I got) ran into a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 100's, a pair of vintage Fisher 3 way 15's, a pair of Cerwin Vega 2 way 8" bookshelf monitors, a KLH center and a powered 10" sub turned down.

I do a lot of mixing on this setup and the most prominent thing I can hear is that it sounds like a mix in Pro Tools before it gets dithered and brick walled. They already pretty much said that is exactly what this mix was, but hearing it and seeing that picture comparing the wave form helped confirm my suspicions. I would love it if every album came with a non brick walled audiophile copy! Brick walling gets on my nerves like no other! This weekend I plan on throwing both mixes into Pro Tools so I can do a better side by side listen.

Cant wait to get the vinyl! I was really hoping I would be spinning it right now, but the audiophile master will do for a minute!

Kyle
09-03-2013, 05:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eXCuplr.png
So according to livenation NIN will be playing Hesitation Marks in its entirety including some "old favorites".
I know I know, they won't...but I can still dream.

It doesn't actually say "in its entirety" anywhere.

jhulud
09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Coming home to no mail is greatly disappointing. Especially given when the tracking says "out for delivery". Go figure.

Volk
09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
So I guess vinyl is the way to go?
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=Nine+Inch+Nails&sort=year&order=asc

Microwave Jellyfish
09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
fail fail fail
opinion, opinion, a pinion

Come on now, write fail at least four times, that would make sense - but really, what's the point of repeating one word? It's a forum post, not lyrics to some funky breakdown or outro.

tiempo
09-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Austin Texas loves Hesitation Marks...Only 1 copy left after I bought mine here at Waterloo. Thanks for the cool NIN/HM buttons!

http://i39.tinypic.com/11kkp61.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/mhsqyc.jpg

Amaro
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I've only listened to HM a couple of times so far but here's what I think...

There is NO SUCH THING as a "bad" NIN album. That being stated, I have to rate HM based on other records Trent has done since being sober (from With Teeth to HM). You can't compare HM with PHM, Broken, TDS, or The Fragile because it was a different evolutionary period for NIN. To expect the next NIN record to be a "copy of a" previous NIN album is ridiculous.

My opinion will probably change over time but for now (didn't include Ghosts, remixes, scores/soundtracks or anything pre WT):

With Teeth
Hesitation Marks
The Slip
Year Zero

I'll see your cropped list with my

The Fragile
The Downward Spiral
Hesitation Marks
With Teeth
Broken
Pretty Hate Machine
Still
The Slip
Ghosts I-IV
Year Zero

I feel like my top two will be at least torn apart in the future. I feel like he's just begun, again.

As I play HM...FMW--cheers to another NIN decade, everyone!

Mr.Metheus
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9665405151_48a795ac94.jpg

The mail is here! It's like introvert Christmas.

...and I really do hope that everyone else gets their goodies either today or very soon.

I've been saving the remixes as a special treat for release day, so here we go! :D

baudolino
09-03-2013, 05:18 PM
first round of the audiophil flacs: lower, wider, first choice

Ruined
09-03-2013, 05:25 PM
So did anyone manage to get an autographed copy of HE that was hinted in one of Trent's Instagram photos?

nowimnothing
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Firstly - I have now listened to the audiophile version of HM twice and after listening to it on my Ultimate Ears and then on my Sennheiser headphones, I could barely tell the difference. I don't see why there was such a big deal made of it. Is a shame - I kind of expected there to be a considerable difference in sound.

Also I just tweeted Rob Sheridan who was kind enough to advise that a wallpaper pack will be made available soon as a seperate digital download.

NINfan04
09-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I'll see your cropped list with my

The Fragile
The Downward Spiral
Hesitation Marks
With Teeth
Broken
Pretty Hate Machine
Still
The Slip
Ghosts I-IV
Year Zero

I feel like my top two will be at least torn apart in the future. I feel like he's just begun, again.

As I play HM...FMW--cheers to another NIN decade, everyone!

Well since you're doing all of them, here's my list which is pretty similar to yours... :p

The Fragile
The Downward Spiral
Broken
With Teeth
Hesitation Marks
Pretty Hate Machine
Still
The Slip
Ghosts I-IV
Year Zero

New album, new tour, new era of NIN. I LOVE IT! Cheers!

neorev
09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm sure that I'll get some crap for asking for a PM a non-torrent link of the Audiophile Master, preferably in lossless. I purchased the DE at my local record shop, which is one of the few mom and pops around here that I like to support rather than a chain. Already bought a copy and I don't have the cash to double dip just to rebuy the digital album from NIN.com at the moment. If you could help me out, I would be totally grateful. Many many thanks in advance. The DE is amazing and I'm in love with this album. I was able to find a 320CBR mp3 of the Audiophile Master, which kinda defeats the point quality-wise, but I would think FLAC would be ideal to hear the different master in all its full and proper glory.

nowimnothing
09-03-2013, 05:45 PM
I know you said non-torrent, but if perhaps you do have access to torrent sites there is a copy on PB. Just thought I would mention..

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Since my Deluxe Edition pre-order is going to be a few more days late, I decided to go out to the record store today and buy the Standard Edition. The Standard Edition packaging is actually very awesome. The disk art is very cool too! I felt very excited to actually hold a brand new NIN album.

NIN64
09-03-2013, 05:49 PM
My DE did not arrive in the mail today. It has been sitting at a local mail facility since 9/29. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of "pre-ordering" back in June. . .?

ThinkIcouldburn
09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Yep, nothing in the mail today either. Nor is it at my local post office. Still estimated to arrive on Saturday. Pissed.

Sesquipedalism
09-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Soooo...my $36 vinyl doesn't come with a lyric sheet? With all the artwork Mills did for this thing, there's just one flat with album credits. Reading the "Spiral" booklet is one of my fonder memories of adolescence. I'm glad I didn't bother to wait to listen until I the LP in my hands. I'd've been furious.

butter_hole
09-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Soooo...my $36 vinyl doesn't come with a lyric sheet? With all the artwork Mills did for this thing, there's just one flat with album credits. Reading the "Spiral" booklet is one of my fonder memories of adolescence. I'm glad I didn't bother to wait to listen until I the LP in my hands. I'd've been furious.
Seems like a Columbia thing more than a NIN thing. HTDA had the exact same set up across the board.

Butterscotch
09-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Went to the FYE in the mall this morning as soon as it opened. Bought a copy of the DE. So happy. :)

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 06:15 PM
My DE did not arrive in the mail today. It has been sitting at a local mail facility since 9/29. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of "pre-ordering" back in June. . .?

I'm in the same boat. My Deluxe Edition has been sitting in California (I live in PA) since August 30th. They seem to be taking their sweet ass time getting it here since it's been chillaxing in the same spot for quite a few days. I was pissed that I paid more on nin.com when I could have gotten it a lot quicker and cheaper at my local record store. I went out and bought the Standard Edition today because waiting for the physical copy is a bitch. The Standard Edition has nice packaging though. I'm glad I bought it. It should hold me out until Saturday (hopfully) when I'm actually scheduled to receive my pre-order. Hopefully by then my hype isn't gone or that will be a bummer..

Kamelion
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I was really fucked off this morning when my cd didn't arrive, but downloading and listening to the album from nin.com in the meantime was a great help :)

Kyle
09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm in the same boat. My Deluxe Edition has been sitting in California (I live in PA) since August 30th. They seem to be taking their sweet ass time getting it here since it's been chillaxing in the same spot for quite a few days. I was pissed that I paid more on nin.com when I could have gotten it a lot quicker and cheaper at my local record store. I went out and bought the Standard Edition today because waiting for the physical copy is a bitch. The Standard Edition has nice packaging though. I'm glad I bought it. It should hold me out until Saturday (hopfully) when I'm actually scheduled to receive my pre-order. Hopefully by then my hype isn't gone or that will be a bummer..

Once again....

You will get it before Saturday. I'd put money on it if I was the type to bet money over something as inconsequential as USPS shipping dates with a complete stranger over the internet, but trust me. You'll get it before then.

NIN64
09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that I paid more to get the DE from nin.com; Trent's kids gotta eat. . . I just wish there was some option to both support NIN and have the album on release day. . .

tiempo
09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Picked up the standard edition Friday, deluxe and vinyl arrived today. Thankfully my vinyl arrived in pretty good condition save a little warp-age. Having listened every mix through my audio-not quite-phile rig, the vinyl mix is by far noticeably different (even to the untrained ear) and fantastic. Anyone know if the CD that comes with the vinyl is mastered differently from the others? It looks identical to the deluxe version. Hope everyone else's packages arrive on time!

I was searching through the threads to ask the same question regarding the CD with the vinyl. Anybody know which master it is?

tony.parente
09-03-2013, 06:50 PM
It doesn't actually say "in its entirety" anywhere.

If trent reznor said "we'll be playing the fragile and some older favorites on this upcoming tour" in an article or whatever everyone would be shitting bricks because of the assumptions that would be made.

Kyle
09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
If trent reznor said "we'll be playing the fragile and some older favorites on this upcoming tour" in an article or whatever everyone would be shitting bricks because of the assumptions that would be made.
And I'd be there pointing out the problems with the assumptions. ;)

tony.parente
09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
And I'd be there pointing out the problems with the assumptions. ;)

God damnit kyle.

Kyle
09-03-2013, 06:54 PM
God damnit kyle.
I am the eater of dreams.

Butterscotch
09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
I am the eater of dreams.

Nah, you're just a copy of a copy of the eater of dreams.

pigpen
09-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Austin Texas loves Hesitation Marks...Only 1 copy left after I bought mine here at Waterloo. Thanks for the cool NIN/HM buttons!

http://i39.tinypic.com/11kkp61.jpg

You got buttons too!? Nice! It was a pretty cool surprise, since I figured I'd get some posters or something.
..I found those later, though! :)

tiempo
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
You got buttons too!? Nice! It was a pretty cool surprise, since I figured I'd get some posters or something.
..I found those later, though! :)

I thought it was a cool token too :) The last time I was in there was to buy the latest Black Angels vinyl on the morning of release. That time they gave me an awesome BA blacklight poster!

boosh
09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
There are way too many pages to go through here, but has anyone got a good look at what is printed inside the paper sleeve of the left-side disk of the deluxe edition? I can definitely see something, but I can't tell what it is without damaging the packaging.

gorast
09-03-2013, 07:29 PM
There are way too many pages to go through here, but has anyone got a good look at what is printed inside the paper sleeve of the left-side disk of the deluxe edition? I can definitely see something, but I can't tell what it is without damaging the packaging.

It's just the outside reprinted so that the sleeve looks complete when you remove the disc.

jesus
09-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Im from Honduras, I use a company to bring my copy of DE , I went today and they told me that a package will arive tomorrow or Thursday, hopefully is my own copy... :) cant wait

tony.parente
09-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Don't listen to Final Destiny
Its actually a thank you letter to alex wink for inspiring everything on this album.

accelestar
09-03-2013, 07:32 PM
on the inside? it's this:

http://i.imgur.com/OT8Pl7b.jpg

It's the image in the digital booklet pdf opposite of Running's lyrics.

butter_hole
09-03-2013, 07:32 PM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2818/9665405151_48a795ac94.jpg

The mail is here! It's like introvert Christmas.

...and I really do hope that everyone else gets their goodies either today or very soon.

I've been saving the remixes as a special treat for release day, so here we go! :D

1. Didn't realize Atwood had something new out!
2. The artwork is very Mills-y!
3. Even her website has some stuff that reminds me of HM: http://www.margaretatwood.ca/images/ma-core_01.jpg

Mr.Metheus
09-03-2013, 07:39 PM
1. Didn't realize Atwood had something new out!
2. The artwork is very Mills-y!
3. Even her website has some stuff that reminds me of HM: http://www.margaretatwood.ca/images/ma-core_01.jpg

It's the third of the Oryx and Crake series, just came out today. And it does coordinate rather well with the album art, doesn't it?

gorast
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Don't listen to @Final Destiny (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=228)
Its actually a thank you letter to alex wink for inspiring everything on this album.

god damn it tony it's supposed to be a surprise if you deface the album

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Just for fun:

What would your guys' thought of a goofy set-list for a live NIN show? Here's what mine would be:

1. Trent Reznor in Conversation With...
2. [Insert any track from Y3@RZ3R0R3MIXED here]
3. BBB (Not even NIN, HTDA)
4. Hurt (Usually the outro)
5. Pinion/999,999 mix
6. A Warm Place/Black Noise mix (Somehow)
7. The Day The Whole World Went Away
8. Deep
9. Saw theme ft. Charlie Clouser
10. Ruiner (Demo)
11. Head Like a Hole (Copper)

A list that would make NO SENSE whatsoever. What do you guys think? I'll post a show setlist that I'd love to hear, but for now, here's a goofy weird one.

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Also, has anybody else had trouble with the digital download MP3 version? When I put it on my Android phone, the album artwork doesn't show up, and it's not Nine Inch Nails. It's simply "Unknown Artist"

My phone doesn't have enough memory for the FLAC. Any other suggestions?

richardp
09-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Just for fun:

What would your guys' thought of a goofy set-list for a live NIN show? Here's what mine would be:

1. Trent Reznor in Conversation With...
2. [Insert any track from Y3@RZ3R0R3MIXED here]
3. BBB (Not even NIN, HTDA)
4. Hurt (Usually the outro)
5. Pinion/999,999 mix
6. A Warm Place/Black Noise mix (Somehow)
7. The Day The Whole World Went Away
8. Deep
9. Saw theme ft. Charlie Clouser
10. Ruiner (Demo)
11. Head Like a Hole (Copper)

A list that would make NO SENSE whatsoever. What do you guys think? I'll post a show setlist that I'd love to hear, but for now, here's a goofy weird one.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/sterling-phoneglasses_zps2b6cd1db.gif

[Shep]
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
can someone please PM me the pdf booklet?also was there a wallpaper pack with the nin.com orders?

NINisamazing
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Chicago tribune gave it a 2 out of 4.

arsenic
09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
So did anyone manage to get an autographed copy of HE that was hinted in one of Trent's Instagram photos?

I hope I'm wrong but as someone was saying in another thread, all the signatures I've seen on instagram so far are related to some kind of contest.

http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/75f0bffe146911e3b2fa22000aeb43cf_7.jpg
http://instagram.com/p/dyikcHonQC/

http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/65d027a811c211e38f8522000ae80193_7.jpg
http://instagram.com/p/dp2R-wO8aj/

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/bf76a13a146311e3b4ea22000a1fbdb0_7.jpg
http://instagram.com/p/dyd47Funo8/

Volk
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Learn how to ETS please.

steelnails95
09-03-2013, 08:30 PM
For everyone looking for the vinyl rip, google "hesitation marks vinyl rip", should be the 5th link you see.Sorry i sent you that PM request before i read this message, my bad.

binaryhermit
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-review-20130903,0,7016123.column

Volk
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-review-20130903,0,7016123.column

that's behind a paywall.

binaryhermit
09-03-2013, 08:35 PM
that's behind a paywall.
All I can say is that it works for me.

Volk
09-03-2013, 08:35 PM
My idea of a good setlist for a show:

1. Somewhat Damaged/Copy of A
2. Terrible Lie
3. Kinda I Want To/All Time Low
4. Closer

(Anybody want to help me finish?)

I hate to be "that guy", but this isn't the thread for posting imaginary set lists. This thread is for arguing about Hesitation Marks.

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I hate to be "that guy", but this isn't the thread for posting imaginary set lists. This thread is for arguing about Hesitation Marks.

Just thought I'd have a little fun is all.

SM Rollinger
09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
My idea of a good setlist for a show:

1. Somewhat Damaged/Copy of A
2. Terrible Lie
3. Kinda I Want To/All Time Low
4. Closer

(Anybody want to help me finish?)
http://replygif.net/i/1012.gif

Reznor2112
09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
At the sake of sounding like a douche, can someone please help me!!!!

nin.com will let me start downloading the Lossless (not FLAC) version of the Audiophile Master...then it freezes Every fucking time

Would anyone be willing to supply me with a download of the lossless file via some other link than the on provided by nin.com?

Ryan Tollefson
09-03-2013, 09:00 PM
any chance i could get a pm with the pdf booklet? I want to try to make some wallpapers. Thanks in advance!

Scarlet Siren
09-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Can't stop playing this effing album straight through!

When I wake up...this will still be playing. No lie.

accelestar
09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
If anyone's interested in individual art for each song, I whipped these up from the digital booklet:

http://imgur.com/a/w54ri

They're not labeled, but they're all in order from track 1-14

neorev
09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
too bad the "In Conversation With" is only as a M4A file, would love to get that first unreleased track in lossless quality. Damn it, Trent... you should have finished it and put on the album. Who cares if it shared the vibe of "Find My Way." I dug the unreleased track much more than "Find My Way" to be honest.

Frozen Beach
09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
too bad the "In Conversation With" is only as a M4A file, would love to get that first unreleased track in lossless quality. Damn it, Trent... you should have finished it and put on the album. Who cares if it shared the vibe of "Find My Way." I dug the unreleased track much more than "Find My Way" to be honest.
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886444020268
It's available as a bonus track on the HDtrack version as lossless.

neorev
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Oh man!
I'm shocked people didn't get on this already... Trent shows off a bunch of unreleased/cut tracks from the new album. If you want a chance to hear demos that didn't make the cut, check out the "In Conversation With" track. So far on the 3rd unreleased demo, and loving what I'm hearing so far.

If nothing shows up, I'm definitely gonna have to shell out the cash when I have it down the line just so I can chop and grab these leftover demos.
All of the stuff sounds great. I definitely love that first one, Trent you should have chosen that one over "Find My Way."

MrSlfDstruct
09-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Oh man!
I'm shocked people didn't get on this already... Trent shows off a bunch of unreleased/cut tracks from the new album. If you want a chance to hear demos that didn't make the cut, check out the "In Conversation With" track. So far on the 3rd unreleased demo, and loving what I'm hearing so far.

Old news man :D They've already been ripped from the interview into individual tracks and remastered into 5.1. Maybe not that last part.

Transfixed
09-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Anyone else notice that the remix of While I'm Still Here includes Black Noise? So it's actually a WISH/Black Noise remix. Not surprising, they were probably one song initially then TR decided to split it into a 14th track - probably because the shift in tone and haunting creepiness deserved it's own 'space'... but thought that was interesting while listening today.

thevoid99
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I just paid $19.07 for the Deluxe Edition at Best Buy. Fuck me, times have changed. Has anyone gotten the album (in its deluxe edition) at a lesser price somewhere else?

Kyle
09-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I just paid $19.07 for the Deluxe Edition at Best Buy. Fuck me, times have changed. Has anyone gotten the album (in its deluxe edition) at a lesser price somewhere else?

$1.49 from GoHastings

Kyle
09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Anyone else notice that the remix of While I'm Still Here includes Black Noise? So it's actually a WISH/Black Noise remix. Not surprising, they were probably one song initially then TR decided to split it into a 14th track - probably because the shift in tone and haunting creepiness deserved it's own 'space'... but thought that was interesting while listening today.

Actually, I have a bit of a theory on that. It is largely based on the fact that if you listen to WISH on loop, it's completely seamless, if you have the song on loop, but aren't paying attention to the time on the track (or just know that the sax means it's at the end of the song), you won't even notice that the song is looping and just think it's really really really long. It's a very rough version of the theory though, so feel free to tell me I'm full of it or close but not quite or whatever. There's an undercurrent throughout much of the album, and in WISH, of being worried that his newfound sobriety and happiness won't last. That the old him is waiting to eat him up again. And that's what Black Noise is - the old him eating him up again. But then you put the song on loop and it doesn't end. "While I'm Still Here" is forever looping and he's always still here and the Black Noise hasn't eaten him up. Whether he lets the old him swallow him up or continue his new life while he's still here is completely up to him.

edit - adding to this theory is the fact that HM is mostly "clean" without any of the distortion or "noise" type stuff found on TDS. The only hint of that is in (ironically enough) "Everything" when he's singing about his fears of the old him. Black Noise however, is reminiscent of that kind of sound and it's coming back for him.

gorast
09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
$1.49 from GoHastings

Not any more. It's like 9.99 or something like that.

neorev
09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Old news man :D They've already been ripped from the interview into individual tracks and remastered into 5.1. Maybe not that last part.

Wait, WHAT? Oh man, really... where?
Can you please point me in the direction of them or perhaps PM a link?
Pretty please, many many thanks in advance
I absolutely love that first demo Trent played, gotta have it :)

Kyle
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM

NOW it is. It wasn't when I bought it, which is what the question was.

Transfixed
09-03-2013, 09:53 PM
.. And that's what Black Noise is - the old him eating him up again. But then you put the song on loop and it doesn't end. "While I'm Still Here" is forever looping and he's always still here and the Black Noise hasn't eaten him up.

Well since WISH is a reflection on the concept of mortality, and the impending, inescapability of death, I think Black Noise is the (musical) manifestation of that. I mean, think about it, a song about realizing that you aren't immortal and must pay up eventually, followed by an ever growing, droning, creepy monstrosity coming at you until it abruptly ends. It's death. Morbid, but effective in communicating its message.

boosh
on the inside? it's this:

http://i.imgur.com/OT8Pl7b.jpg

It's the image in the digital booklet pdf opposite of Running's lyrics.
That's the one. I could see the scratched part but nothing else. Thanks!

Ryan
Can anyone flip this and read what it says? I'm at work but can see something like "capable of ascertaining..."

http://i.imgur.com/k8doDlWh.jpg

wight rabbit
I just sent Amazon a disappointed e-mail regarding the delay in receiving my vinyl pre-order. Seriously, why the hell am I expected to receive this two days AFTER it's released when I pre-ordered it in June with free 2-day shipping via a trial of Amazon Prime? This is ridiculous...

So, Amazon got me all worked up over nothing... This was awaiting my arrival today—despite me listening to the audiophile mastered version all day that I burned to a CD.

https://sphotos-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q74/s720x720/969721_10151813430762822_1761225641_n.jpg

ninrogue
09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6375/e9le.jpg

Transfixed
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Any general consensus on the LEAST favorite track on HM? Not counting Eater of Dreams or Black Noise of course....
Which song, for those who have listened maaaaany times already as I have, do you ultimately find least compelling and difficult to really get into?

For me?

Came Back Haunted... especially that overlong outro with the "Hau-hau-haunted"...yeesh... he overcooked that one I think.
Would be followed probably by While I'm Still Here. I'm seeing some love for that track but I just can't get much into it. Chorus is cool, but the rest just kinda feels like a flat way to end such an epic album.

Kyle
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Well since WISH is a reflection on the concept of mortality, and the impending, inescapability of death, I think Black Noise is the (musical) manifestation of that. I mean, think about it, a song about realizing that you aren't immortal and must pay up eventually, followed by an ever growing, droning, creepy monstrosity coming at you until it abruptly ends. It's death. Morbid, but effective in communicating its message.

I agree with you completely with one difference. By death, I think he means the death of the new life he's created.

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Did anybody listen to HM as if it were a concept album, or just as a normal album? If so, what sort of hidden messages do you hear in it? (For example, I saw Find My Way as the character from The Downward Spiral calmly asking God for forgiveness for the events in Heresy and Ruiner, and out of desperation asks the lord for help.)

steelnails95
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Any general consensus on the LEAST favorite track on HM? Not counting Eater of Dreams or Black Noise of course....
Which song, for those who have listened maaaaany times already as I have, do you ultimately find least compelling and difficult to really get into?

For me?

Came Back Haunted... especially that overlong outro with the "Hau-hau-haunted"...yeesh... he overcooked that one I think.
Would be followed probably by While I'm Still Here. I'm seeing some love for that track but I just can't get much into it. Chorus is cool, but the rest just kinda feels like a flat way to end such an epic album.
Personally for me it would be Running

wight rabbit
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
"Everything." I keep trying to like it, but I can only get into the "noisier" sections. I can't say with absolute certainty, but I feel like I'm part of a minority in saying that "Satellite" is one of my favorites.

NINisamazing
09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Washington post said it is one of the best albums of the year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-review-trent-reznor-stays-dark-on-best-album-since-1990s/2013/09/02/d69101bc-11b1-11e3-b4cb-fd7ce041d814_story.html

buckaroo
09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Personally for me it would be Running

same here. to me this is the one that seems the most out of place (yes, even more than everything).

Ryan
09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
same here. to me this is the one that seems the most out of place (yes, even more than everything).

Same here, I tend to skip "Running".

Amaro
09-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Disappointed, least favorite.

Actually, "favorite" shouldn't have anything to do with the song, for me.

Kyle
09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I really like the whole album, but if I had to pick one song I didn't like as much, I think I'd go with Disappointed. And not just so I can make a pun about being disappointed with the song. I would never go there.

Warped_Savant
09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Also, has anybody else had trouble with the digital download MP3 version? When I put it on my Android phone, the album artwork doesn't show up, and it's not Nine Inch Nails. It's simply "Unknown Artist"

My phone doesn't have enough memory for the FLAC. Any other suggestions?
I'm having the same problems... Rather disappointing. I figure I'll wait to get the physical cd, rip it to MP3 and apply what I want.
Maybe someone else knows of a way to do it with the downloaded MP3's...

Trent1995
09-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Actually, I have a bit of a theory on that. It is largely based on the fact that if you listen to WISH on loop, it's completely seamless, if you have the song on loop, but aren't paying attention to the time on the track (or just know that the sax means it's at the end of the song), you won't even notice that the song is looping and just think it's really really really long. It's a very rough version of the theory though, so feel free to tell me I'm full of it or close but not quite or whatever. There's an undercurrent throughout much of the album, and in WISH, of being worried that his newfound sobriety and happiness won't last. That the old him is waiting to eat him up again. And that's what Black Noise is - the old him eating him up again. But then you put the song on loop and it doesn't end. "While I'm Still Here" is forever looping and he's always still here and the Black Noise hasn't eaten him up. Whether he lets the old him swallow him up or continue his new life while he's still here is completely up to him.

edit - adding to this theory is the fact that HM is mostly "clean" without any of the distortion or "noise" type stuff found on TDS. The only hint of that is in (ironically enough) "Everything" when he's singing about his fears of the old him. Black Noise however, is reminiscent of that kind of sound and it's coming back for him.

Very interesting. I like that theory of the song. Never really looked that deep into Hesitation Marks, but I don't see why I didn't. I really should. Any other songs that you would say have interesting meanings to them?

Copy of A
09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Got my vinyl today. That's what I call good business!

wight rabbit
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm on my first listen of the vinyl and I'm definitely liking the way it sounds better than the audiophile mastered version of the album (should I be surprised)?

GavinCollins420
09-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Anyone know of any iPhone 4 wallpapers for the album art kicking about? I'm mad picky about my lock screen/home screen sharing the same theme.

richardp
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Kansas City disappointed me today. Got off work and went to the best and most popular new record shop in midtown and I was the first person to buy the LP as of 5pm.

Either way, the LP sounds and looks fantastic and they even accidentally slipped two CDs into it. SCORE! Now to figure out which of my friends that i'll be introducing this album to.

buckaroo
09-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Disappointed, least favorite.

Actually, "favorite" shouldn't have anything to do with the song, for me.

i actually really like this one, but i think it would be much better if the second chorus was yelled/screamed. i don't really need loud guitars and screaming, but it seems like it's missing here and it sort of makes it feel like the song never gets "there."

wight rabbit
09-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Either way, the LP sounds and looks fantastic and they even accidentally slipped two CDs into it. SCORE! Now to figure out which of my friends that i'll be introducing this album to.

Hopefully, that doesn't mean one of the other vinyls is missing one. That'd be a bummer...

Copy of A
09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
The vinyl sound is definitely superior for me, particularly on my surround sound. Brilliant sound man, makes me appreciate while i'm still here even more

Amaro
09-03-2013, 10:31 PM
i actually really like this one, but i think it would be much better if the second chorus was yelled/screamed. i don't really need loud guitars and screaming, but it seems like it's missing here and it sort of makes it feel like the song never gets "there."

There's a lot of could-a should-a I feel for this track... *shakes head*

If you can at least enjoy most of it, then that's great.

Second "least favorite" for me would be Satellite. Much too Year Zero to my ears (my least preferred NIN LP, though this song is far, far better than the more upbeat bits off of that album), and I really question how it fits into HM thematically.

I really want to read people's takes on Hesitation Mark's concept/story or whatever, touching up on all of its limbs to a tee, because I'm so not the guy for the part.

MrSlfDstruct
09-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Wait, WHAT? Oh man, really... where?
Can you please point me in the direction of them or perhaps PM a link?
Pretty please, many many thanks in advance
I absolutely love that first demo Trent played, gotta have it :)

I know it was somewhere in this thread. I didn't download them myself . . . I'd say check out posts around last Wednesday or Thursday? Sorry I'm not of more help.

Kyle
09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
There's a lot of could-a should-a I feel for this track... *shakes head*

If you can at least enjoy most of it, then that's great.

Second "least favorite" for me would be Satellite. Much too Year Zero to my ears (my least preferred NIN LP, though this song is far, far better than the more upbeat bits off of that album), and I really question how it fits into HM thematically.

I really want to read people's takes on Hesitation Mark's concept/story or whatever, touching up on all of its limbs to a tee, because I'm so not the guy for the part.

Maybe that's why I DO like Satellite so much. I love YZ. I agree with you thematically though. In fact, thematically, it confuses me, since it seems so much like it's a reference to the Obama/NSA thing, but he also says that it was one of the first two songs he worked on for the album, and the album has been worked on for a year and a half, so unless he did some last minute lyric changing, which would have to completely change the mood of the song, I don't see how it could be about that.

Or maybe it's proof that Trent is part of the Illuminati. (I feel obligated to add a "lol" in there, so you don't start to peg me as a conspiracy theory nut)

MrSlfDstruct
09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Anybody seen that Autolux remix kicking 'round the web yet?

Mr.Metheus
09-03-2013, 10:56 PM

It's 15.99 on Amazon.

And now it's up to 16.99 at goHastings.

millhouse
09-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Anyone compared the CD that's included with the vinyl vs the standard CD? Are they different at all in terms of dynamic range? I'm still waiting on both to arrive.

sheepdean
09-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Off topic, but for some reason the fact they're using the underground logo as their shop symbol annoys me :P

blassster
09-03-2013, 11:52 PM
My DE main disc arrived scratched. Anyone else? Don't know how it sounds though. Still.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/syh6p889w5j0e8g/scratch_hesitationmarks.jpg

millhouse
09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Does anyone have some artwork kicking around for the separate demo tracks?

ninrogue
09-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Loving the "While I'm Still Here" (or Black Noise) remix. It shares the dark, creep-ish characteristics the band was known for like in The Downward Spiral. "Satellite" easily reminded me of Year Zero, still enjoy that album. I do admit after having listened to the full stream on iTunes, I was quite disappointed by the result of Hesitation Marks and afraid to like it. "Came Back Haunted" was a great single. But now as I am listening to the album over and over and comprehending the theme behind TR's creation and remembering about a different TR than the 90s TR, I am starting to like it. Audiophile version I am keeping stored and burning FLACs to a DVD-DL.

Anyone with the Deluxe Edition version notice the scribbles on the first two pages? I suppose the scribbles are first-draft lyrics.

piggy
09-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Can anyone flip this and read what it says? I'm at work but can see something like "capable of ascertaining..."

http://i.imgur.com/k8doDlWh.jpg
For what it's worth, I can almost guarantee that it has nothing to do with the album. Russell Mills has used random antique letters in his paintings several times before.

m15a
09-04-2013, 12:37 AM
i might be hearing things, but does anyone else hear something that resembles speech at about 4:59 in "disappointed"? it's some sound that's full panned to the right channel. the sound always jumps out at me because it's fully panned, and it has the rhythm of speech (maybe 7 syllables?), although if it is speech, it's muffled/lowpass filtered. it might just be a sound "illusion" . .

Crazyman
09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Has the Autolux remix of "Everything" leaked/been released yet?

Sorry, my social life ended today and continues into the future...so if it has, hook a brotha up please.

(I'll give you a nice e-mustache ride ;) )

eversonpoe
09-04-2013, 12:49 AM
i am currently doing three things i have never done:

1. listening to Hesitation Marks (i can’t believe i held out until i actually had all three physical versions in my hands, but i did)
2. having the vinyl version of a nine inch nails album be my first experience of that album
3. listening to vinyl on headphones

i am in fucking heaven right now.

that said, i put an e-mail into modlife for this mess (http://eversonpoe.tumblr.com/post/60245898204/pretty-disappointed-in-how-my-package-was-shipped).

Ryan Leith
09-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I am so very PROUD to say that I can't get enough of this album. This is the album I have been waiting for since Spiral. THE ATMOSPHERE IS BEAUTIFUL. I can't wait to see what is in store for all of us as in remixes, demos, videos, live performances of our favorites from this album. Have not felt this excited since 94 when my friend played a new tape cassette of Downward Spiral when it first came out. I was into Tears For Fears, INXS and Seal back then... hahah... this BLEW ME AWAY! I was haunted by the sounds of that record and again I have that same haunted feeling, no pun intended. Its just that FEELING you get. Thank You Trent for still being here bringing everyone everything. (:

Ryan Leith
09-04-2013, 12:58 AM
man that sucks it came like that, so sorry ): hopefully they correct that

AlanMorlock
09-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Anyone know of any iPhone 4 wallpapers for the album art kicking about? I'm mad picky about my lock screen/home screen sharing the same theme.

Here's some that I made months ago

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/redhawk239/hesitation2_zpsa224148d.png

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/redhawk239/hesitation3_zps6b3e6b1b.png

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/redhawk239/hesitation5_zps708a3cb4.png

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/redhawk239/hesitation4_zpsbe31f62e.png

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/redhawk239/hesitation1_zpsab1fb039.png

jesus
09-04-2013, 01:37 AM
HD tracks is selling the audiophile master in lossless but includes the remixes and the conversation

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886444020268

Eddie Diaz
09-04-2013, 01:46 AM
HD tracks is selling the audiophile master in lossless but includes the remixes and the conversation

And now we can have the demos in lossless. Assuming someone will be kind enough to buy this and share...

NINisamazing
09-04-2013, 01:47 AM
This record officially is in the my top 3 for nin.

1. TDS 2. The Fragile 3. Hesitation Marks.

Holy fuck.

Everytime I hear the end of various methods of escape. I sorta get teary eyed.... :(

NINisamazing
09-04-2013, 01:55 AM
I really like trents guitar on I would for you. Sorta a surf guitar vibe. Fucking cool.

Running has a very latin beat.

If they play any of In Two live, they better not cut the ending bridge thats sorta house-y.

batsu
09-04-2013, 05:43 AM
this record is one of my 3 favorites from NIN : 1) the Fragile / 2) Hesitation marks /3) TDS...
It really worth the wait!

NINfan04
09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
My two cents:

The Eater of Dreams - NIN intros are known for being awesome...this is no different. 10/10

Copy of A - I didn't care for this song that much at first but it grew on me. There are so many layers to this song that I didn't hear at first until I was playing along via my Roland kit. 8/10

Came Back Haunted - powerful, deep, great lyrics, first single from HM for a reason. 9/10

Find My Way - lyrically and musically I just dig the vibe of this song in every way...the remix is really good too. 9/10

All Time Low - has somewhat of "The Big Come Down" feel to it but it's really good especially the lyrics..."Everything is NOT O. K.!" 8/10

Disappointed - This is a song that I feel starts off somewhat weak but gets a little better as it goes on. I just don't feel this one as much as other songs on HM. The song name somewhat reflects my opinion on the song. 6/10

Everything - this one surprised me a little...more of an upbeat NIN but I really enjoy it...feels like "happy" NIN (is that possible? lol) 9/10

Satellite - reminds me of something that might have been on The Slip or Year Zero. Lyrics fit perfect for the world we live in today. 7/10

Various Methods of Escape - probably my favorite track so far and I really hope this gets played live on the HM tour. 10/10

Running - A song that had more potential imo. 6/10

I Would For You - is anyone else reminded of "My Violent Heart" during the verses? The lyrics are great...song kind of reminds me of something that would fit on With Teeth. Chorus really stands out in this one. 9/10

In Two - lyrically one of my favorites and musically it's a real treat...I wouldn't have believed you if you told me that Lindsey Buckingham played guitar on this until I read the liner notes...AWESOME (yes I know he also played on Copy of A and While I'm Still Here). This is one of my favorites on HM for sure. 10/10

While I'm Still Here - a great NIN closing track, reflective and deep lyrics, great song. 9/10

Black Noise - it's a NIN instrumental....need I say more? 10/10

Find My Way remix and While I'm Still Here remix - both amazing and could rival their original version. The 2nd half of FMW remix is particularly awesome and the sound clips with WISHremix definitely fit within the NIN vein. 10/10 for both

This album is growing on me more and more each time I listen to it. It has some of the best lyrics Trent has ever written for sure.

If I had to rate this among the entire NIN catalog:
3rd best NIN album lyrically
5th best NIN album musically and overall

Lerxto
09-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Just downloaded the HDtracks version.
The remixes and demos do sound better! But IMO it's not worth $17, if you already spent $12 on the nin.com digital download.

EndlessLoveless
09-04-2013, 06:46 AM

I think "in two", especially the end, has a shit load of noise in it. There is some crazy shit going on right before "while im still here" kicks in. Also "various methods of escape", and "i would for you" (end of that as well).

I love how almost every song stars one way (really fucking awesome), but by the time the last few minutes of the song are happening, its layered into something totally different (even more badass). The songs all sort of build up, and that is one thing ive always loved about nine inch nails....the build ups...and the break downs. The two fragile-esque break downs (various methods, in two), are some of my favorite parts on the album. I am one happy fan with this album.

niggo
09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
I love how almost every song stars one way (really fucking awesome), but by the time the last few minutes of the song are happening, its layered into something totally different (even more badass). The songs all sort of build up, and that is one thing ive always loved about nine inch nails....the build ups...and the break downs. The two fragile-esque break downs (various methods, in two), are some of my favorite parts on the album. I am one happy fan with this album.

I sign that.

fuchal
09-04-2013, 07:09 AM
I have yet to receive my vinyl from nin.com :(

joplinpicasso
09-04-2013, 07:58 AM
I had a dream that I received my HM package and I was opening it up with my brother, excitedly. What the fuck? Just arrive already!

I also think (well, fantasize) that there totally should have been an Atlas Sound remix for something like "I Would For You". Bradford Cox's electronic style is crazy -- I wonder what relationship Trent kept up with Deerhunter, if any, as he obviously fostered relations with other opening acts afterward. Let it be known that Brad spoke highly of touring with NIN when asked at a Fall 2008 show!

sweeterthan
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
"In two" just moved up to my favorite over "all time low". I am still in awe of how great this album is.

Amaro
09-04-2013, 08:40 AM
i might be hearing things, but does anyone else hear something that resembles speech at about 4:59 in "disappointed"? it's some sound that's full panned to the right channel. the sound always jumps out at me because it's fully panned, and it has the rhythm of speech (maybe 7 syllables?), although if it is speech, it's muffled/lowpass filtered. it might just be a sound "illusion" . .

Yes. I'd heard it before, probably my favorite part of the song. haha

Sounds like speech to me.

EndlessLoveless
09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Got my vinyl and standard yest. Got the deluxe on friday. Great job getting it all out either before, or on the release date. For me at least. I was worried it wouldnt come by the 3rd. My vinyl is not damaged at all, like some of you guys. Guess i got lucky.

mr9inchnail
09-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I have yet to receive my vinyl from nin.com :(
Same ... It's just my luck that the version I was excited for the most is the last to arrive. =(

dbrekke
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Wait... WHAT DEMOS?!?

seasonsinthesky
09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Wait... WHAT DEMOS?!?

from Trent Reznor In Conversation With..., formerly thought to only be on the iTunes release.

The Doctor
09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
FWIW, here's my review of the new album: http://ourvinyl.com/nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-album-review/

ecirb
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
SOB! I have purchased 4 versions of HM, and now I'm tempted to buy the HDTracks version just for the conversation/demos in lossless. God Money, I'll do anything for you.

Mr.Benjamin
09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
In 'Black Noise', starting about 1:20-1:21, does anyone else hear a faint scream or would it just be considered part of the distortion/noise going on.

Amaro
09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
In 'Black Noise', starting about 1:20-1:21, does anyone else hear a faint scream or would it just be considered part of the distortion/noise going on.

I hear some screaming.

mostlymad
09-04-2013, 11:23 AM

I noticed that yesterday. Definitely a scream, I think.

cahernandez
09-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Finally listened to the album a couple nights ago, it was great, I liked it and I read people here saying that the last three tracks of this album (including Black Noise) is the best finale in a NIN record but I beg to differ, the holy trinity is still The Line Begins to Blur into Beside You In Time into Right Where It Belongs. No doubt about it. Listening to it right now...I don't know, I highly associate the sound of Beside You In Time with With_Teeth's artwork, the sound of the synths in there resemble the decaying glitchy lines of the cover...so awesome (but I'm biased, I think With_Teeth has the best NIN artwork).

Ryan Tollefson
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
After listening to the audiophile version, I am noticing a speaker pop, very noticeable in some songs, (find my way in particular). Not happening with the standard. Did something go wrong with my burn? I burnt the 700 or so mb flac files on a cd with toast. I like what I hear from this version but the poping sound is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Any idea why I'm hearing this?

Trains
09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Got my DE on Monday, I somehow managed to hold off from hearing the record until release day. It took a couple of listens to really sink in, but wow...what an album. Really, this is some of the best music I've heard in a long, long time; not to mention it being an outstanding NIN record -- I haven't had this much of a NIN vibe since perhaps at least 2007.

I still haven't properly absorbed HM yet, I'm going to try not to over-listen to it too much. But fuck, it was so worth the five year wait. It's so heavy, both sonically, lyrically and emotionally. The quiet section during 'In Two' (right before the build up at the end) literally stole my breath away.

Exciting time to be a NIN fan. I hope this album attracts a lot of new ones (I get the sense it already has).

Transfixed
09-04-2013, 11:45 AM
After listening to the audiophile version, I am noticing a speaker pop, very noticeable in some songs, (find my way in particular). Not happening with the standard. Did something go wrong with my burn? I burnt the 700 or so mb flac files on a cd with toast. I like what I hear from this version but the poping sound is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Any idea why I'm hearing this?

I put the audiophile wavs onto my phone,and listening with headphones noticed some popping as well. Wasn't digging it :/

GeoffT
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm not the only one that has "COST CENTER #: LOSERKIDS" on my Deluxe Edition packaging am I?

tony.parente
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not the only one that has "COST CENTER #: LOSERKIDS" on my Deluxe Edition packaging am I?

I had loserkids on my shipping box if that's what you're saying.

GeoffT
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
I had loserkids on my shipping box if that's what you're saying.

I thought it was funny and was surprised to not see it mentioned on here.

mr9inchnail
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Didn't see that on my deluxe edition packaging.

tony.parente
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I thought it was funny and was surprised to not see it mentioned on here.

I'm pretty sure my red hesitation marks preorder shirt had loserkids on the packaging too now that I think about it lol

Amaro
09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Halo 28b LOSERKIDS

gorast
09-04-2013, 12:25 PM
That's most likely Tom DeLonge's influence, since he created Modlife.

Ray1971
09-04-2013, 12:27 PM
yes I had loserkids on mine that I got yesterday.

Winter Is Coming
09-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Still no sign of my DE or my vinyl and since I'm in Canada eh there is no tracking info available through NIN.com. I got the shipping notice on Thurs or Friday and after reading this thread I figured it could be either minutes or days away.

But I'm also about 10 minutes away from my first listen to the audiophile master with some good headphones so I guess there's that.

miss k bee
09-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I finally get Everything, the intro is still annoying though. I finding the album as a whole very satisfying.

jesus
09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
the album position in iTunes... #3 in United States

http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/nineinchnails.html

Krazy
09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
the album position in iTunes... #3 in United States

http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/nineinchnails.html

Congrats to GuateMOE-la, you're cooler than us/US.

Space Suicide
09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tMobOY2.jpg

Day late thanks to Amazon.

MrSlfDstruct
09-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Regarding HDTracks, I'm not familiar with how they work. Where do they source their content from?

tony.parente
09-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Needs more neckbeard.

Mr.Metheus
09-04-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm pretty sure my red hesitation marks preorder shirt had loserkids on the packaging too now that I think about it lol

Mine did. It was confusing.

Space Suicide
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Needs more neckbeard.

Shame, I just shaved Sunday actually!

Ash512
09-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Didn't know Jim Halpert was a NIN fan.

Substance242
09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Btw, I don't think I would burn audiophile FLACs to Audio CD - not only is that conversion from 24 to 16 bits, but also from 48 kHz to 44.1 - because it's not clean multiply (like 48 and 96) it's "difficult" operation which should be done with the best tools with some noise shaping or whatever, I think. WAVs are also 24/48 I suppose?

Just tried if my PS3 can open these FLACs, it does not. So for me, how can I play them on my receiver (not newest one, no USB, but it's still good enough for me), would be to author DVD-Video with just stereo PCM track on it, without conversion. What happened to DVD-Audio or SACD formats anyway? Never mind.

I love this album, for example how sounds disappear after second chorus in Copy of A before another verse. Maybe in some songs the chorus - verse change is not really flowing nicely, but at least there's some strange guitar riff or something and I like it. :-) And the break down quieter parts are just heart breaking. Welcome Oblivion is probably more "complicated" musically with some unusual time signatures or what, but I think I love Hesitations bit more. :-) 2013 is good.

goingincirclez
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I noticed that yesterday. Definitely a scream, I think.

I hear that scream too.

However, even before then (from about 0:40 - 0:48) I swear I hear a "hoot" or "holler".... like a "Whaaooo.... oooo-oooo-ooo". Somethine more tortured and confused. It's clearly a vocal and rather disconcerting, can't put it in any kind of context. That said, it does fit the, uh, song (?) well.

goingincirclez
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Just tried if my PS3 can open these FLACs, it does not. So for me, how can I play them on my receiver (not newest one, no USB, but it's still good enough for me)

My Android phone's default music player (by Samsung) plays FLACS natively. Haven't researched to see if it downsamples but since I've not noticed any delay in processing nor artifacts, I assume it's all good. Anyway, I connect that to my receivers' line-in via the appropriate cable from my phone's headphone jack. Works well enough for me, and the laziness bonus of not having to burn a disc is just that!

AlanMorlock
09-04-2013, 02:00 PM
My Deluxe edition came in the mail. Sweet Jesus I didn't realized the book would be the casing itself! I really love this. The packaging itself is an item worth owning in a way that CD's releases usually aren't. Fantastic artwork.

Space Suicide
09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Didn't know Jim Halpert was a NIN fan.

I'll take it as a compliment.

theworst
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
hi,
I`m looking for autolux remix of Everything from japan edition. Can someone help and share?
My copy just have been shipped from Japan but i can`t wait. :)

Ripe(withdecay)
09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTV61RuCcAA9dGY.jpg:large

I offically got my copy of "Hesitation Marks"!

Amaro
09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
...that you, neckbeard?

KingDeathMachine
09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I finally get Everything, the intro is still annoying though. I finding the album as a whole very satisfying.

Totally agree. It took me about 20 listens before I said, "OK cool" but yeah...fuck that intro, lol. And since that video came out, I can't stop thinking about Carlton, Pikachu, and Trent on a Unicorn when I listen. LOL

Yes, this album is great.

Amaro
09-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Do you mean the drum intro, or...?

Wolfkiller
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Got my order today as well. No signatures, boo! Will have to give the vinyl a listen tomorrow!

PhoenixML
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
hi,
I`m looking for autolux remix of Everything from japan edition. Can someone help and share?
My copy just have been shipped from Japan but i can`t wait. :)

we all are, aren't we?

one day, a gentleman will show us the way. Until then...

allegro
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune reviews Hesitation Marks

jhulud
09-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Finally the 2xLP and deluxe CD arrived today! A day late as a lot of others. Modlife still sucks. Packed in a huge box w/ no padding. No damage to the jacket or records but the inner printed sleeves are splitting of course. Damnit!

But it does so much better on vinyl. On my second thorough listen so far.

Winter Is Coming
09-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Got the DE but no LP. Weird. Anyone else in Canada get it shipped separately?

Also, not a bad thing, but my DE from nin.com had no "feat came back haunted" sticker on the front.

joplinpicasso
09-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Add me to the list of happy customers! No problems with packaging from nin.com, and MY GOSH I love this artwork. If I had to rank the NIN album artwork styles, it would be:
HM
The Fragile
TDS
W_T
YZ
The Slip
PHM

Broken is just badass.

Zipfinator
09-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Do you mean the drum intro, or...?

If they mean the drum intro, I'm guessing they don't like Sonoio.

If they mean "I SURVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVED" I kind of agree with them.

ericy210
09-04-2013, 05:16 PM
On behalf of Chicago, I apologize. Please do not assume we are tasteless.

allegro
09-04-2013, 05:33 PM
On behalf of Chicago, I apologize. Please do not assume we are tasteless.
Note that Greg Kot is usually a drooling NIN fanboy.

chroipahtz
09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
I really don't understand how he can call Satellite and In Two unmemorable, or how reviewers seem to like the first half of the album better. Are we freaks?

eversonpoe
09-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Finally the 2xLP and deluxe CD arrived today! A day late as a lot of others. Modlife still sucks. Packed in a huge box w/ no padding. No damage to the jacket or records but the inner printed sleeves are splitting of course. Damnit!

But it does so much better on vinyl. On my second thorough listen so far.

my post kinda got buried last night, but the same thing happened to me. i sent modlife an e-mail about it (including pictures) but i have yet to hear back from them.

Volband
09-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Congrats to GuateMOE-la, you're cooler than us/US.
Show some love to my country pls. I hope Trent will come to us again in 2014; he really enjoyed himself and the crowd back then when he was here. He also looked me in the eyes during Wish and Last, so you could say things were getting serious.

And to be on topic: yes, the I surviveeeeed start to Everything is in fact gay and terrible, but I'm okay with the rest of the song. Though nowadays hating on it seems to be more hipster, than actually loving it.

Trent1995
09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey guys. You were right! I got it before Saturday. My pre-order of the Deluxe Edition just came in! The packaging is amazing, too. I love it.

Leprekon666
09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Why is the standard edition cover different? http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac249/leprekon05/image.jpg

this is the cover I got from amazon.ca which is different then the NIN.com orders. Is the ones from local stores in the US http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac249/leprekon05/image-1.jpg

Uneven Stephen
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm loving the shit out of the new album. I bought the regular CD and DE versions. But I'm really irked about the "it's smile is red it's eyes are black" typos in the lyrics of Came Back Haunted. Ugh. I would think Trent would have proofread the printed lyrics himself. That aside, it really is a beautiful package.

r_z
09-04-2013, 06:13 PM
So did anyone buy the version off HD Tracks yet? It isn't the alleged audiophile version, is it?

binaryhermit
09-04-2013, 06:31 PM
So did anyone buy the version off HD Tracks yet? It isn't the alleged audiophile version, is it?

I have and a quick DR metering says that it appears to be the standard version. It certainly isn't the audiophile version.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2