PDA

View Full Version : NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Plastic Soul
06-19-2013, 12:42 PM
So, David Lynch is directing the video. That should be fun.

fillow
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Oh I totally get it now.
Came Back Haunted is a song about special agent Cooper!

Frozen Beach
06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Fuckkkkkkkk yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
edit: Wait, Pitchfork is reporting this only because Trent posted a photo of the two of them together. How the hell does that allude to David directing the video? How the hell do we not know if they were just hanging out?

henryeatscereal
06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
According to this (http://pitchfork.com/news/51231-david-lynch-to-direct-nine-inch-nails-came-back-haunted-video/), it was more than hanging out...

katara
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Fuckkkkkkkk yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
edit: Wait, Pitchfork is reporting this only because Trent posted a photo of the two of them together. How the hell does that allude to David directing the video? How the hell do we not know if they were just hanging out?
Plenty of other sites are taking Pitchfork's word as Gospel. It would be pretty funny if they were just making it up based on that one 'tr;dl' [lol] twitter post.
Speaking of that image, doesn't Trent look like he's wearing red lipstick? Kind of funny.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNI24mkCYAAKsOi.jpg:large

somewhat_
06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Smile is red? Eyes are black?

jessamineny
06-19-2013, 02:44 PM

You ACTUALLY think that's what the most popular online music publication is doing? The same Web site that TR is regularly feeding exclusives to lately? I cannot comprehend your logic.

Speaking of that image, doesn't Trent look like he's wearing red lipstick? Kind of funny.

The makeup probably translates better under stage lighting and on film than it does for an iPhone held three inches from his face. :D

BRoswell
06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Then again, what does hanging out with David Lynch entail? Do they sit around drinking Lynch's coffee, or is there more to it? :p

Frozen Beach
06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
You ACTUALLY think that's what the most popular online music publication is doing? The same Web site that TR is regularly feeding exclusives to lately? I cannot comprehend your logic.

Pitchfork have jumped the gun many of times when it comes to stories.

Also, considering that these are two people I admire and respect working together, I just don't want to get my hopes up, then get majorly disappointed if it's not true.

Amaro
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Smile is red? Eyes are black?

I've always thought that Trent would be the human form of satan. Particularly The Downward Spiral era, but also The Perfect Drug era.

jessamineny
06-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Care to share some of those memorable (and comparable) examples?

katara
06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Then again, what does hanging out with David Lynch entail? Do they sit around drinking Lynch's coffee, or is there more to it? :p
They sit around drinking hot liquid LSD. Trent doesn't, because he's sober now. He drinks bottled water and watches everyone else wig out.

Krazy
06-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Also, considering that these are two people I admire and respect working together, I just don't want to get my hopes up, then get majorly disappointed if it's not true.

Nine Inch Nails retweeted the article, I think it's a safe bet this is a go.

butter_hole
06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
They sit around drinking hot liquid LSD. Trent doesn't, because he's sober now. He drinks bottled water and watches everyone else wig out.
This is totally off-topic, but is LSD considered a narcotic? I'd never really consider someone who's supposed to be sober taking LSD and no longer being "sober", ya know? It's not addictive, is it?

katara
06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
This is totally off-topic, but is LSD considered a narcotic? I'd never really consider someone who's supposed to be sober taking LSD and no longer being "sober", ya know? It's not addictive, is it?
Regardless, I am pretty sure Trent wants absolutely nothing to do with any form of recreational drug now. Especially now that he has a family.

sheepdean
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
This is totally off-topic, but is LSD considered a narcotic? I'd never really consider someone who's supposed to be sober taking LSD and no longer being "sober", ya know? It's not addictive, is it?It is not a narcotic, it is a drug with side effects and (arguably please don't start with me someone I don't care) addictive properties.

allegro
06-19-2013, 07:40 PM
We have a drug thread in Speak Your Mind where all of us who've done LSD can tell you there are zero physical addictive qualities in LSD and you all can discuss. (Why somebody doesn't know how to Google "narcotic" in 2013 notwithstanding.)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=95701#post95701

drift=off

neorev
06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Video is a coming... directed by motherfucking David Lynch, motherfuckers!!!

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/70948

allegro
06-20-2013, 12:14 AM
So that's the hero he was working with a while ago?

katara
06-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Real interpretation without the rest of the album would be impossible, but to me it's about returning to Nine Inch Nails, kind of a 'meta', but I think it fits:

"I said goodbye, but I had to try and I came back haunted"
I don't think it's all that meta. A lot of his work is autobiographical. I mean, look at The Slip. One interpretation of Demon Seed is Trent basically saying "BYE GUYS! Gonna start a family."
Before anyone calls me on this, also note the meaning of Corona Radiata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_radiata_(embryology)

witte
06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
david & trent.
great.
for me: two heroes

Dragoro
06-20-2013, 08:46 AM

No, its a Hallucinogenic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogenic

And yes, it qualifies as not being sober.

allegro
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
No, its a
Topic already moved to the aforementioned drugs thread.

Demon.seed.22
06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I just call it music

Demon.seed.22
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I think the track, CBH refers to him coming back from addiction. How although he's "sober" he's still a haunted soul.

pigpen
06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I think it's a continuation of TDS, and he's a ghost that's haunting...HIMSELF!!!

Tiz
06-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Where are these TDS comparisons coming from? I dont think this songs indicates any return to a sample heavy atmosphere sound of the spiral. This is more in line with Year Zero/The Slip. Is this because that radio DJ said she heard the song and it reminded her of the first 2 albums?

Apart from that think about this... Did TDS sounds like March Of The Pigs? Did The Fragile sound like TDTWWA? Did With Teeth sound like the hand feeding song? Did Year Zero sounds like Survivalism? Chances are good that this record will sound unlike this song but merely an indication of what we can expect. lots of button pushing, knob twiddling and heavily prcessed passive aggressive guitars.

I kinda miss when Trent put a more 'metal' influence into the riffs.

"Passive aggressive guitars" is a good way to put it. Trent's been hooked on the "With Teeth" feedback for 8 years now. Albeit nuanced release-to-release, I wish he would go back to his tone on "The Fragile", or something entirely new.

hobochic
06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm at the best place I could ever be for this album: not expecting anything. Bring it.

dzn
06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
TR and DL on the set of "Came Back Haunted" video

http://i.imgur.com/wEkK81p.jpg

ZeroisGreg
06-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Alright, upon initial few listens I felt the track was kinda weak and mediocre. After about a hundred listens...wow this track is still mediocre.

BRoswell
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Alright, upon initial few listens I felt the track was kinda weak and mediocre. After about a hundred listens...wow this track is still mediocre.

And yet you've listened to it so many times. Hmm...

ZeroisGreg
06-25-2013, 10:28 PM
And yet you've listened to it so many times. Hmm...
the track has a subliminal element that says "play it again, you'll like it this time, play it again, you'll like it this time, play it again, you'll like it this time, play it again, you'll like it this time...".

BRoswell
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
There's nothing subliminal about it. If you actually find the song to be so mediocre, why would you listen to it so many times? Sounds to me like you wanted to post something that would get people to react. Congrats. You succeeded.

I get that not everyone is going to love this song, but there's a difference between someone saying "Hey, this track isn't for me." and leaving it at that, and continually having to remind people that they don't like it.

ZeroisGreg
06-25-2013, 11:56 PM
There's nothing subliminal about it. If you actually find the song to be so mediocre, why would you listen to it so many times? Sounds to me like you wanted to post something that would get people to react. Congrats. You succeeded.

I get that not everyone is going to love this song, but there's a difference between someone saying "Hey, this track isn't for me." and leaving it at that, and continually having to remind people that they don't like it.

Well, I agree that I've over-stated my opinion about this track and made a weak attempt at humor. It's just that I get tired of seeing comments like "hey, at first it was okay, but after a few listens it's the greatest track ever". If it doesn't jump at you the first play, then maybe it just won't work no matter how many times you listen. I think one of the most annoying bits of the track is the percussion. The kick drum sounds like it's fumbling and tries hard to be broken but comes across as if someone hit 'randomize' in their daw prog. Then there's the hih-hat/cymbals just ticking every now and then sounding hollow and incomplete. Those are my thoughts and I'll stop knocking this track from here on...

jesus
06-26-2013, 12:12 AM
TR and DL on the set of "Came Back Haunted" video

http://i.imgur.com/wEkK81p.jpg

Getting back to topic, is real nice how Trent is promoting the album and giving us updates, really nice picture

BRoswell
06-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Well, I agree that I've over-stated my opinion about this track and made a weak attempt at humor. It's just that I get tired of seeing comments like "hey, at first it was okay, but after a few listens it's the greatest track ever".

The difference is that they're not trying to force themselves to like the track. They like it because they've grown to like it, and what's so wrong about that? Again, I get that not everybody is going to like the track, but posting "I still don't like this track." is just a cry for attention.

BenAkenobi
06-26-2013, 03:19 AM
His singing is what turns me off. "i got something you have to see" sounds like "she", in the ending "just can't stop" sounds like "star". Lots of other words are hard to understand, especially in 2nd verse. Clear vocals used to be trademark nin, big part of appeal not featured in new single. Saying this after less than ten listens, not hundred, but i'm frankly not impressed.

witte
06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
.......The kick drum sounds like it's fumbling and tries hard to be broken but comes across as if someone hit 'randomize' in their daw prog. Then there's the hih-hat/cymbals just ticking every now and then sounding hollow and incomplete....
I think it's time for a new, better and a more decent stereo set! :)

Dimitri.
06-26-2013, 03:42 AM
After many listens, I enjoy the song but I think it's NIN weakest track.
The music and lyrics aren't powerfull enough to emotionally connect with it.
There's nothing new in it, it sounds predictable while Trent's music has always been exciting because we never knew what to expect.

I hope it will be "The Beginning of the End" of Hesitation Marks - I've never understood why this track is on Year Zero, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album.

Wolfkiller
06-26-2013, 03:46 AM
This song is soooo good after too much wine and vodka. FUCK YOU HATERS.

Scarlet Siren
06-26-2013, 03:57 AM
This song isn't for existing fans. This song is for casual and new listeners. Just thought I'd throw that opinion out there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimitri.
06-26-2013, 04:21 AM
This song isn't for existing fans. This song is for casual and new listeners.
Well, considering the fact that Trent didn't want this song to be the lead single, it hasn't intentionally been written as a 'radio song' for new listeners.

I keep reading about the 'decent stereo' thing...
From Pretty Hate Machine to The Slip, you didn't need drug abuse or hi-def ultra-stereo to enjoy Trent's music.
Terrible Lie, Ruiner or The Great Destroyer sound extraordinary even on a 240p Youtube video coming out of Iphone's speakers.

fillow
06-26-2013, 04:33 AM
This song has been the only new song for too long. Need more.

ZeroisGreg
06-26-2013, 06:44 AM
This song is soooo good after too much wine and vodka. FUCK YOU HATERS.
you can drink those together?

eversonpoe
06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Terrible Lie, Ruiner or The Great Destroyer sound extraordinary even on a 240p Youtube video coming out of Iphone's speakers.

NOTHING sounds good on a 240p youtube rip coming out of an iPhone's speaker (there's only one speaker).

PhoenixML
06-26-2013, 08:47 AM
This song isn't for existing fans. This song is for casual and new listeners. Just thought I'd throw that opinion out there :)

Nope. This song is awesome.

Read : I am an existing fan and I do believe, in my personal opinion, that it's an awesome song.

Dragoro
06-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Read : I am an existing fan and I do believe, in my personal opinion, that it's an awesome song.

Been a fan since PHM came out and I like CBH as well.

fortheloveofgod
06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Ditto to that statement about. Trent made a mash up of himself for CBH. Love every minute of it.

Wolfkiller
06-26-2013, 08:02 PM
you can drink those together?

*shrug* I'm fairly new to this whole alcohol concept, but yes. Whipped cream vodka is delicious in sweetish wines!

That said, the song is no less amazing sober. Been a fan for around two decades now, get outta here with that "for the new fans" boe sheet.

pigpen
06-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that HM will be much the same, since he said that he was writing a bunch of songs
that sound like a culmination of everything nine inch nails has been, and eventually it was an album..
So, I guess if you don't like CBH, you probably aren't going to like the rest of the record. Oops!

*pulls out umbrella

ZeroisGreg
06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that HM will be much the same, since he said that he was writing a bunch of songs
that sound like a culmination of everything nine inch nails has been, and eventually it was an album..
So, I guess if you don't like CBH, you probably aren't going to like the rest of the record. Oops!

*pulls out umbrella
Well if this is so, then there will probably only be two maybe three solid tracks that sound more meaty to me than the rest. That's my perspective.

carpenoctem
06-26-2013, 09:30 PM
The novelty's worn off and I find myself indifferent to the song now. Bah humbug. I probably won't listen to it again until September, which is fine, because I'm sure it'll sound much better in context - the singles always do.

pigpen
06-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I actually very much enjoy it now, I'm just hoping for something more challenging for the rest of the album.
Trying to keep my mind open, but the more info we get, the less I'm inclined to think it's gonna be a game changer.

ZeroisGreg
06-26-2013, 11:35 PM

what makes this an awesome song? please explain.

jmtd
06-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Oh excitement, a new post in the "Came Back Haunted" thread! Let's see:

Oh it's that guy who has confessed he doesn't actually like this song at all, and yet continues to post here! How frustrating!

GibbonBlack
06-27-2013, 07:27 AM

It's most likely that the music gets to him in a way that makes him feel good.

gorast
06-27-2013, 01:24 PM
How many times have you been told how annoying you are when your posts contribute literally nothing and all you can do is talk shit about the single?

I'll be honest, I've only spun the track periodically since the first few days after its release, but I always do that. I can't listen to a single repeatedly for several weeks on end. Can't wait to hear it in the context of the album, though.

Vertigo
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
what makes this an awesome song [to you]? please explain.

My mum warned me not to get into cars with trolls, but alrighty. Funky bassline, foot-tapping tempo, dense mix filled with cool shit that rewards an attentive ear, power and urgency through the chorus, resonant themes, and it's Trent. Trent is good.
All "in my opinion", of course. I'm sure there's someone out there for whom this is indistinguishable from Oops I Did It Again.
(...I played with your heart. And lost in the game. Ooh babay babay. Goddamnit, I'm going to have it stuck in my head all day now.)

Wolfkiller
06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
The only thing that isn't awesome about this song is the haw haw haunted opening.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
The only thing that isn't awesome about this song is the haw haw haunted opening.

you know, i'm going to second that. it should just start with the beat. other than that, i quite enjoy it.

ZeroisGreg
06-27-2013, 03:04 PM
My mum warned me not to get into cars with trolls, but alrighty. Funky bassline, foot-tapping tempo, dense mix filled with cool shit that rewards an attentive ear, power and urgency through the chorus, resonant themes, and it's Trent. Trent is good.
All "in my opinion", of course. I'm sure there's someone out there for whom this is indistinguishable from Oops I Did It Again.
(...I played with your heart. And lost in the game. Ooh babay babay. Goddamnit, I'm going to have it stuck in my head all day now.)
Thanks for taking the time in explaining your reason for liking this song. still waiting to hear from PhoenixML http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=97547#post97547).

theimage13
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
I've listened to the song three times since it's come out.

I think that about summarizes my current feelings.

katara
06-28-2013, 02:08 AM
I've listened to the song three times since it's come out.
Me too, but that's because I don't want Came Back Haunted to be the one song I always skip on the album.

PhoenixML
06-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time in explaining your reason for liking this song. still waiting to hear from PhoenixML http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=97547#post97547).

soon

(with minimum 10 characters)

Shnoorum
06-28-2013, 07:06 AM
This is nowhere near my favourite track he's ever made but I like it all the same. It doesn't do anything spectacular in my eyes but it is incredibly catchy. At any rate, wheres this damned video? Very curious to see what David Lynch has cooked up

Prettybrokenspiral
06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Is 'ZeroIsGreg' the same guy that was bitching in the CBH video thread about what kind of camera Lynch was using in the still photos?

eversonpoe
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Is 'ZeroIsGreg' the same guy that was bitching in the CBH video thread about what kind of camera Lynch was using in the still photos?

no, but he's been combative and asinine about other things. you're thinking of hurtinminorkey.

PhoenixML
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Why do I love this new song?

The quick answer would be what GibbonBlack said : "It's most likely that the music gets to him in a way that makes him feel good."
(thank you btw for putting it so perfectly)

Long-ass answer :
I always find it difficult to explain why I think one song or one album to be "awesome" to someone else. I like it and there's a chance you might not but it won't change my opinion and I won't try to force it down your throat cause I don't think it would actually help.

Why do I love NIN? I don't know. I used to listen to Deftones, Korn, Linkin Park and on a softer side, Travis, Coldplay and Radiohead. NIN is an anomaly to me and for some reason became my favorite band/artist I couldn't get enough of. Most of the time, I feel that it's not one particualr song that is geat, but rather the whole album that makes them oh so great as a whole. If you take Vessel alone, or even Survivalism, I won't think they're great. But Year Zero is a good album!

I'm one of the few who's favorite NIN album is With Teeth. I don't think it his best work, but simply the one I can listen more. Although it changes from time to time. The Fragile is the most epic, and The Downward Spiral is the most important one. But they both are a little "heavy" (weight) to listen to everyday regardless of the mood you are in.

I find Came Back Haunted to be better than The Hand That Feeds, Only and Discipline. The chorus is the best part, it's the sound, it's the energy, the beat, that synth-ish loud noise in the back (hard to explain, reminds me of the chorus of Smashing Pumpkins' Everlasting Gaze), the build up, that "solo" that gets you even more into it, and when you think it's the end, Trent gives us a great outro that keeps going. I don't mind it's not soul searching, very dark or very electro/weird/industrial. It's just plain old good.

It's more "pop", but VERY FAR from Coldplay, Nickelback, Simple Plan or One Direction. It's not THAT easy listen.

But I totally understand why another NIN fan would hate it and they have the right to express their opinion. But not tell the others they shouldn't like it (I'm not saying someone did).

GibbonBlack
06-28-2013, 08:55 PM
The quick answer would be what GibbonBlack said : "It's most likely that the music gets to him in a way that makes him feel good."

Anytime :)

ensanchecedor
06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
To phoenix:

You shouldn't have taken so much time to reply him, I find his messages quite rude and stupid.

nineismine
06-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Ditto to that statement about. Trent made a mash up of himself for CBH. Love every minute of it.

Love this new song as well, long time fan here too.

allegro
06-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Is he saying "hown-ted?"

Prettybrokenspiral
06-29-2013, 06:43 PM
"how-how-howntend."

nineismine
06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
I've listened to this song probably too many times now. I like it alot. More than Survivalism, more than THTF more than most of the singles that have come out in the last 5+ years. I honestly think despite some of the lyrical weakness, this song would have been received well back in the 90's during the nine inch nails heyday. I think alot of the fans on this board are just expecting to have another TDS experience. I would wager that if you could replicate the awesomeness of TDS into a brand new album you would have an equal amount of dissent.

sheepdean
06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
I think alot of the fans on this board are just expecting to have another TDS experience. I would wager that if you could replicate the awesomeness of TDS into a brand new album you would have an equal amount of dissent.
I for one do not want another TDS. Or Fragile. I like albums for being original, not rehashes - this is why I listen to NIN and not Status Quo

hobochic
06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Is he saying "hown-ted?"

fla-fla-flaunted

thefragile_jake
06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I've listened to this song probably too many times now. I like it alot. More than Survivalism, more than THTF more than most of the singles that have come out in the last 5+ years.

Same here! I feel you 100%.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-01-2013, 12:14 AM
If Trent had written this song in 1998 and included it on the Fragile as the first single, fans and critics alike back then would have been shitting their pants in unison over the "groundbreaking, futuristic sound" that "Trent had sculpted".

As it stands, I hope that what he says is true, that this is the only song on the album that sounds anything like his past work.

Warped_Savant
07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
fla-fla-flaunted
I always hear "ha-ha-ha-ten" for the opening.

Fixer808
07-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I've listened to this song probably too many times now. I like it alot. More than Survivalism, more than THTF more than most of the singles that have come out in the last 5+ years.
I liked Survivalism and THTF more than this, but I like this more than the first YZ "single" in "My Violent Heart".

I honestly think despite some of the lyrical weakness...
Trent "Sad Libs" Reznor

...this song would have been received well back in the 90's during the nine inch nails heyday.
This is interesting, because when the single came out people were posting on a local radio station's FB page about how "It's all electronic and shit!! Fuck this!" [paraphrased] and my response was "Have you heard ANYTHING they've done since 1994?" Ironically, if they HAD put this out in the 90's, people would have bitched about it for the same reason... "What the hell is this 'electronica' shit?!"

ElOsoBlanco
07-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Not a huge fan. Kind of like a watered down Please. Feels like a b-side/soundtrack song to me. Really enjoyed the video though.

Denim Chicken
07-14-2013, 10:40 PM
After awhile for it to sink in I think it's decent. Not great, not terrible. Compared to the last few singles I would say I liked THTF and Survivalism more and it's better than Discipline. I usually turn it off after the last chorus though. That outro just goes on for too long and doesn't add much to the song. Where's Trent going to add lib the fucks into the live version? I can definitely see him freaking out at the end and adding some "I fuckin came back haunted"s in there.

butter_hole
07-14-2013, 11:30 PM
after awhile for it to sink in i think it's decent. Not great, not terrible. Compared to the last few singles i would say i liked thtf and survivalism more and it's better than discipline. I usually turn it off after the last chorus though. That outro just goes on for too long and doesn't add much to the song. Where's trent going to add lib the fucks into the live version? I can definitely see him freaking out at the end and adding some "i fuckin came back haunted"s in there.
fu-fu-fuckennnn

artdeco
07-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Compared to the last few singles I would say I liked THTF and Survivalism more and it's better than Discipline.

I'd agree with that.

Fist Fuck
07-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Now a few weeks and dozens of plays later I still love the song. It does a perfect job as a first single for me and I'm getting a really great and weird vibe from it. The synths have a comfortably uncomfortable feel to them. I think the song will work much better within the album context though. I'd love to see rehearsal footage for this song...

dlb
07-15-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a strong believe that this song will be an absolute killer live with people shouting back at Trent. Can't wait to see footage of it being performed whether on stage or rehearsal. Get going Rob! :D

seasonsinthesky
07-15-2013, 11:58 AM
wanted to listen to it without the omnipresent beat (a feature of Atticus-meets-Trent since they began), so i inverted the polarity of one side — very interesting listen, and perhaps more 'haunted.'

carpenoctem
07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
If Trent had written this song in 1998 and included it on the Fragile as the first single, fans and critics alike back then would have been shitting their pants in unison over the "groundbreaking, futuristic sound" that "Trent had sculpted".

This is kind of a weird point to make, considering the way technology and trends have advanced over the last fifteen years. Of course it would've sounded groundbreaking and futuristic in 1998, because it's 2013, and CBH is pretty much the sound of right now.

screwdriver
07-15-2013, 04:42 PM
wanted to listen to it without the omnipresent beat (a feature of Atticus-meets-Trent since they began), so i inverted the polarity of one side — very interesting listen, and perhaps more 'haunted.'

share? sounds interesting

katara
07-15-2013, 05:21 PM
I made a phase-inverted mix. It sucks hugely, but it does bring some of the background elements to the forefront. Feel free to use this for remixes or whatever you like.

Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ghkr21

Prettybrokenspiral
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
This is kind of a weird point to make, considering the way technology and trends have advanced over the last fifteen years. Of course it would've sounded groundbreaking and futuristic in 1998, because it's 2013, and CBH is pretty much the sound of right now.

Errrr...but...it sounds just like...the stuff he was doing in 2008, and 2007, and 2005...

carpenoctem
07-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Errrr...but...it sounds just like...the stuff he was doing in 2008, and 2007, and 2005...

I could see it fitting nicely on The Slip, which was essentially a mash-up career retrospective, but it doesn't jive with Year Zero (abrasive digital stuff) or With Teeth (brash stadium rock) at all, really. Try playing them back to back with CBH.

cashpiles (closed)
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
wanted to listen to it without the omnipresent beat (a feature of Atticus-meets-Trent since they began), so i inverted the polarity of one side — very interesting listen, and perhaps more 'haunted.' It could be said that Trent has lost much of the "organic" nature of his music that was most apparent from TDS to Fragile. I also agree that less imagination has been put into modern-era NIN drum tracks - not only in terms of sound, but in the repetitive nature of the drum track throughout the song.

katara
07-16-2013, 01:47 AM
It could be said that Trent has lost much of the "organic" nature of his music that was most apparent from TDS to Fragile. I also agree that less imagination has been put into modern-era NIN drum tracks - not only in terms of sound, but in the repetitive nature of the drum track throughout the song.
Wasn't TDS built around heavily processed loops? It does sound more 'organic' than Year Zero, but I think that's due to many of the samples being lifted from movies.

After The Fragile, NIN's sound became much less layered. It became frail and imperfect. It started on Still and that sound went directly into With Teeth. I think if anything, his most recent work is the *most* organic it's ever been. Stuff like Ghosts I-IV, The Girl..., and HTDA are quite ethereal. I feel like the repetitive drum tracks are the controlling element; something to hold the unstable, broken ambiences together.

That said, in my opinion, the 'Only' style drum machine is really boring to me personally, and I wish it would go away.

snaapz
07-16-2013, 08:38 AM
I like the vocal styles and techniques.

Eg.

They put some-thing inside of me

I like how all of that line is all sung in 'A' ; except for when he says "in"

benbenbenben
07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Not sure where to post this, but Came Back Haunted is in a head to head cage match on some music site: http://loudwire.com/device-vs-nine-inch-nails-cage-match/

Let's make it win! Also, is there a thread for voting for this single in different radio/website promotions?

Prettybrokenspiral
07-16-2013, 11:23 PM
I could see it fitting nicely on The Slip, which was essentially a mash-up career retrospective, but it doesn't jive with Year Zero (abrasive digital stuff) or With Teeth (brash stadium rock) at all, really. Try playing them back to back with CBH. I think it does. Look at the lead-off singles he's released from the past three records: The Hand That Feeds (2005), Survivalism (2007) and Discipline (2008). Then compare it with CBH. There is a definite trend, sound-wise. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying it's merely a variation of a particular sound he's been mining for nearly a decade now. His HTDA stuff and bits and pieces of the soundtrack work he's done also adheres to this beat-driven sound.

Amaro
07-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I think CBH is better than all of the singles from THTF onward. There, I am saying it now (unless I said it already in a roundabout way).

Any qualms I expressed having initially have let off, and my sure appreciation for the song hasn't come from force, instead most likely due to my general return to high NIN gear and thus being able to put the song in proper perspective. It's a good song. It's total NIN.

carpenoctem
07-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Since I popped back in here a few days ago, I decided I might as well give CBH another listen (I'd decided, mostly out of vague disinterest, to avoid it till September). It's pretty good. Better than I remembered, actually.

NYRexall, you have a point with the "beat-driven" thing. But if the last five years have shown us anything, he's still obsessed with texture. The Fragile is not dead, people. It's just wearing different clothes.

captainbeyond
07-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I made a phase-inverted mix. It sucks hugely, but it does bring some of the background elements to the forefront. Feel free to use this for remixes or whatever you like.

Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ghkr21

3:50.....I love that lead guitar part!

AlanMorlock
07-18-2013, 10:00 AM

As it stands, I hope that what he says is true, that this is the only song on the album that sounds anything like his past work.

Apparently the studio latched onto this song and requested to release it as the lead single for that reason, so it is likely true.

littlemonkey613
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
This song is going to be SO DOPE live. That chorus is going to be insane. So epic and LOUD.

ZeroisGreg
07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Why do I love this new song?

Long-ass answer :
I always find it difficult to explain why I think one song or one album to be "awesome" to someone else. I like it and there's a chance you might not but it won't change my opinion and I won't try to force it down your throat cause I don't think it would actually help.

Why do I love NIN? I don't know. I used to listen to Deftones, Korn, Linkin Park and on a softer side, Travis, Coldplay and Radiohead. NIN is an anomaly to me and for some reason became my favorite band/artist I couldn't get enough of. Most of the time, I feel that it's not one particualr song that is geat, but rather the whole album that makes them oh so great as a whole. If you take Vessel alone, or even Survivalism, I won't think they're great. But Year Zero is a good album!

I'm one of the few who's favorite NIN album is With Teeth. I don't think it his best work, but simply the one I can listen more. Although it changes from time to time. The Fragile is the most epic, and The Downward Spiral is the most important one. But they both are a little "heavy" (weight) to listen to everyday regardless of the mood you are in.

I find Came Back Haunted to be better than The Hand That Feeds, Only and Discipline. The chorus is the best part, it's the sound, it's the energy, the beat, that synth-ish loud noise in the back (hard to explain, reminds me of the chorus of Smashing Pumpkins' Everlasting Gaze), the build up, that "solo" that gets you even more into it, and when you think it's the end, Trent gives us a great outro that keeps going. I don't mind it's not soul searching, very dark or very electro/weird/industrial. It's just plain old good.

It's more "pop", but VERY FAR from Coldplay, Nickelback, Simple Plan or One Direction. It's not THAT easy listen.

But I totally understand why another NIN fan would hate it and they have the right to express their opinion. But not tell the others they shouldn't like it (I'm not saying someone did).

Thanks very much for taking the time in explaining why you like CBH. To better explain why It doesn't grab me, I'd say that there is an expectation built up over the years and I'm looking for something more gritty, grinding, hard-edged. I suppose I may not have grown with the artist or something. I'm coming from albums like Broken, The downward Spiral, The Fragile, aWithaTeetha, and even The Slip. Have a good one.

bobbie solo
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I just imagined TR sitting with his iPad on his porch, grinning from ear to ear reading the feedback here, going "Who's a pussy whipped swarmatron-junky NOW, suckas?"

this is the worst thing i read in the whole thread.

deconstructer
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
This song is going to be SO DOPE live. That chorus is going to be insane. So epic and LOUD.
(After Fuji Rock Festival live webcast) How right you were, littlemonkey613!

I absolutely disliked the song when I first heard it. I thought it was like stale incense, old sweat. But hearing it live, WOW, I SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE CROWD.

Ryan
04-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Trent Reznor: did Ghosts, came back haunted

Had to bump this thread for this excellent post.

Ryan
01-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Trent Reznor: did Ghosts, came back haunted

Will you have something as witty as this to say for the next single? I hope so.

sheepdean
01-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Will you have something as witty as this to say for the next single? I hope so.
I really hope it's called "I like dicks" because I've got great jokes for that

GibbonBlack
01-17-2016, 10:19 AM
I HATE dicks? ;)

Leviathant
01-17-2016, 10:54 AM
la fin du monde