PDA

View Full Version : Twenty-Thirteen Tension Tour Tug Thread - SETLIST SPOILERS!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

talkingnothing
11-05-2013, 11:29 AM
forgive me for a second, I'm gonna bitch, and I;m not really trying to be a dick, but why the hell does everybody talk about "black noise" like it's a song? it's really just the end of "while I'm still here" (especially live) and for some reason it got a name and a track break.

in other news not related to me being an ass about stuff, have we seen robin play a telecaster with nails before? did he bust it out because ... Austin?

fillow
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I want to see the bottom of that sheet of A4, where they usually put the reference number for the setlist.

Cos anyone can type shit.
There are tons of NIN setlists around with no numbers.
And if anyone wanted to fuck with us, i'm sure they'd add Everything or TPD, not All the Love.

ekrekel
11-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Are you sure? I could of sworn they went straight into a shortened version of Black Noise.

Y'all are right, I thought there was more of a wind down in WISH after the horn section. It didn't just cut out. I remember Trent flapping his arms like he was pushing the sound levels down to fade out. Black Noise probably needs to be added. Someone mentioned an audio recording, that'll settle it for good..

icklekitty
11-05-2013, 12:59 PM
There are tons of NIN setlists around with no numbers.
And if anyone wanted to fuck with us, i'm sure they'd add Everything or TPD, not All the Love.

Recently several setlists with verified versions have had a little note at the bottom.

Kyle
11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Who posted that one?

gorast
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
forgive me for a second, I'm gonna bitch, and I;m not really trying to be a dick, but why the hell does everybody talk about "black noise" like it's a song? it's really just the end of "while I'm still here" (especially live) and for some reason it got a name and a track break.

in other news not related to me being an ass about stuff, have we seen robin play a telecaster with nails before? did he bust it out because ... Austin?

I personally treat it as its own song because it has a title and separate track on the album, and ignoring that for live setlists is deceptive. Trent gave it its own track, so we should as well.

Kyle
11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Not only that but I believe that there are very distinct thematic reasons for it to be its own track but I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Bmw1185
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Hey all. I'm 12 people back from the front of the line for pit in san antonio right now. They soundchecked All the Love in the World! Security left the door open at the last half of it...sounds amazing. Here's to hoping it's played tonight! Keep you posted

gorast
11-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Hey all. I'm 12 people back from the front of the line for pit in san antonio right now. They soundchecked All the Love in the World! Security left the door open at the last half of it...sounds amazing. Here's to hoping it's played tonight! Keep you posted

Trent is going to fucking kill me with this shit. If he plays it, someone better record it for the masses.

Well, I'll hope very nicely and respectfully that someone records it if it happens, rather. Don't want to be a toolbag.

Bmw1185
11-05-2013, 05:28 PM
I have a new phone with a nice camera. If it happens, I'll try my best to not be the shaky camera guy nobody likes

ryanp16
11-05-2013, 06:04 PM
This is good. One step closer to Leaving Hope, Subspots, AATCHB and TPoL.

Corona Radiata
11-05-2013, 06:21 PM
If they play All The Love In The World on Kimmel and air it, I will be in heaven.

Bmw1185
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I am dead center on rail, so hopefully I'll get a good angle to record if played. I'll keep y'all posted

redshoewearer
11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
I am dead center on rail, so hopefully I'll get a good angle to record if played. I'll keep y'all posted

If you can, it's nice, but just have fun being center on the rail! That sort of thing doesn't come around too often.

Kyle
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Brainfart time. TPoL?
I'm waiting for Demon Seed personally.

ryanp16
11-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Brainfart time. TPoL?

The Persistence of Loss. ;)

WorzelG
11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Brainfart time. TPoL?
Ilan Rubin would be AMAZING on that song

Krazy
11-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Thank you. I remember first listening to the stream of HM, waiting for 'Black Noise' to come on... it never did, and still hasn't for me. Like you said it just sounds like the progressive ending to WISH.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
pro pics http://acltv.com/2013/11/05/nine-inch-nails-exceeds-expectations/

and more pro pics http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/11/nine_inch_nails_17.html

ryanp16
11-05-2013, 10:38 PM
All The Love has just been played!!

gorast
11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
God damn it.

I mean like, that's fucking cool, but I also wasn't there, so it's The Worst Thing.

brokenfragility
11-05-2013, 10:58 PM
OMFG really!? I thought we'd never hear that live, I completely forgot about the fact that it makes perfect sense TO PULL IT OUT WITH BACKUP SINGERS. That was the issue Trent had with it in the first place, wasn't it? Didn't he say something about that once?

FULLMETAL
11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Well, that's a good sign it will show up for LA. Debut in a smaller market before the larger market show. I'd shit a brick if it ended up on the JKL broadcast (or at least a pro-shot stereo mixed webcast).

Bmw1185
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
God damn it.

I mean like, that's fucking cool, but I also wasn't there, so it's The Worst Thing.

I got it! Recorded all of it. Did my best on camera work. Will post on YouTube by tomorrow

Jon Griffin
11-05-2013, 11:48 PM
aaaaand now I get my hopes up for AATCHB PLEASE TRENT PLEASE

m15a
11-05-2013, 11:53 PM
what is going on in the visuals in this pic? http://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/397964349689458689/photo/1

Amaro
11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
what is going on in the visuals in this pic? http://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/397964349689458689/photo/1

thats hurt

theres the latest Instagram shot however that I'm not familiar with. Possibly ATLITW. I wouldn't know.

m0reta
11-05-2013, 11:59 PM
All The Love has just been played!!

That son of a bitch! *breathes heavily*

It's okay..it's okay. *smooths back hair* I got Gary Numan. ;-D

*prays for JKL showing*

gorast
11-06-2013, 12:10 AM
I got it! Recorded all of it. Did my best on camera work. Will post on YouTube by tomorrow
I love you.

R-Dot-Yung
11-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Ugh this is one of those things where if he played it at every show it wouldn't be cool anymore so I don't want that...

But fuck I wish I saw it...Jealous...RAHWWWW

Ryan
11-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Awesome news!

m15a
11-06-2013, 12:24 AM
thats hurt

so it is. it looked kind of like a drawing when i looked at the photo at first.

cynicmuse
11-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Here's hoping that LA gets ATLITW; it's one of my favorite songs. It probably does need the backup singers to do it justice. I was annoyed when I couldn't hit some of the earlier tour dates due to scheduling issues, but it's looking like they're pulling out more songs from the back catalog as the tour progress.
Edit: And it sounds even better than I expected. The backing vocalists definitely make a difference during the final chorus.

icecream
11-06-2013, 12:51 AM
WOW, that setlist for tonight looked awesome! I think that one is the best so far. Into the Void, Even Deeper, Sanctified, In Two, A Warm Place, and Somewhat Damaged!

FernandoDante
11-06-2013, 12:59 AM
For comparison's sake:

http://youtu.be/oQlWmG-QdGg

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Come on people, who's got a video of All The Love In The World? Anticipation is slightly killing me..

m15a
11-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Come on people, who's got a video of All The Love In The World? Anticipation is slightly killing me..

check the tour journal. it's being uploaded to youtube right now.

gorast
11-06-2013, 01:42 AM

Someone got it, don't worry. Give them the night to rest, we can all wait a day.

suprefan
11-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Couldnt have waited til Friday, Ill be ready for it though at least. And yeah, if it gets done on Kimmel, its probably not going to see the light of day unless somebody records it on their phone. I wouldnt expect it to be one of the 2 songs aired.

Someone got it, don't worry. Give them the night to rest, we can all wait a day.

If that was me, I wouldve been speeding to get home and upload. And if it was via phone, it wouldve been online within 30 mins of the show ending.

FernandoDante
11-06-2013, 01:55 AM
http://youtu.be/E0saQeqIx_o

fillow
11-06-2013, 02:07 AM
gotta love Robin's backing vocals

heroicraptor
11-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Sweet zombie jesus!

Corona Radiata
11-06-2013, 02:30 AM
Amazing.........

fillow
11-06-2013, 03:00 AM
I wonder why'd they rehearse La Mer only to play it once in a small club? This song would totally make sense in the middle part of Tension setlist with expanded production and visuals.

nooneimportant
11-06-2013, 06:20 AM
I wonder why'd they rehearse La Mer only to play it once in a small club? This song would totally make sense in the middle part of Tension setlist with expanded production and visuals.

I'm pretty sure Trent and the band have a bunch of other songs ready to play, especially when you consider they are touring well throughout 2014.

fillow
11-06-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty sure Trent and the band have a bunch of other songs ready to play, especially when you consider they are touring well throughout 2014.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that since they already learned the song, they should unleash it right now. It will work so much better with Fragile artwork-like visuals than with plain NINJA-like lights. I wouldn't be surprised if the song, like you said, it reserved for later touring when they decide to drop most of production in favor or extensive setlist rotation (which they already did twice not long ago).
Remember when people initially hoped/assumed that Soundwave shows will feature LITS production, before TR stated otherwise? I hope this won't happen again and 2014 shows with feature production at least matching the 2013 festivals tour.

Kyle
11-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Keep in mind the backup singers were added a week before the first show. Which means they were probably just playing the songs they were already going to play anyway just reworked a bit. Since ATLITW was probably not one of those songs that's why we didn't see it earlier but it's getting added later. It wasn't just a matter of reworking it to add Pino and the singers, but probably arranged for a live performance from scratch.

Which hopefully means that as things progress maybe we'll get more of those "that song would work with back up singers" songs.

Ryan
11-06-2013, 07:17 AM

Now Trent, please do the same thing with Sunspots, Demon Seed and Everything.

simonn
11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I agree with you. I'm just saying that since they already learned the song, they should unleash it right now. It will work so much better with Fragile artwork-like visuals than with plain NINJA-like lights. I wouldn't be surprised if the song, like you said, it reserved for later touring when they decide to drop most of production in favor or extensive setlist rotation (which they already did twice not long ago).
Remember when people initially hoped/assumed that Soundwave shows will feature LITS production, before TR stated otherwise? I hope this won't happen again and 2014 shows with feature production at least matching the 2013 festivals tour.

TR has already said Europe will get 'all the trimmings' during his interview with Zane Lowe.

jessamineny
11-06-2013, 07:57 AM
That gave me goosebumps just watching it on YouTube. Hot damn.

Conan The Barbarian
11-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Still needs some work. But awesome.

Come on now Trent, with back up singers, robin, and ilan's insane drumming, the perfect drug is doable.

Kyle
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Still needs some work. But awesome.

Come on now Trent, with back up singers, robin, and ilan's insane drumming, the perfect drug is doable.
My like was for the second part not the first. I think it sounds fine. It's just that after all those years of only hearing the song one way (other than the rehearsal of course but I've only heard that once or twice) anything different sounds strange and foreign.

Conan The Barbarian
11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Something about it makes me think it's not tight enough. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, just needs some tweeks. Those back up singers were great idea. Imagine them singing the end of the becoming.

kevinbeetle
11-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Trent: Josh, I need you to learn another instrument. Do you think you can play the tambourine as good as I can?

Kyle
11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Trent: Josh, I need you to learn another instrument. Do you think you can play the tambourine as good as I can?

Nobody plays the tambourine as good as Trent does. You can only hope for second best.

Seriously though.... did you hear Josh yell out "hey" while playing the tambourine? Of course not. That's because he's no Trent.

slave2thewage
11-06-2013, 08:50 AM
The biggest surprise is that Trent let someone else touch his tambourine.

Kyle
11-06-2013, 09:24 AM
The biggest surprise is that Trent let someone else touch his tambourine.

That sounded dirty.

Conan The Barbarian
11-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I have never laughed this hard on a topic about a tambourine.

k258
11-06-2013, 09:30 AM
What an exciting turn of events! It will likely get better and better the more they perform it.

screwdriver
11-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Holy shit you guys, that sounded great -- what are you people whining about?

slave2thewage
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
That sounded dirty.
Babies are made when a tambourine touches a Buchla.

OSLIN
11-06-2013, 10:17 AM
http://youtu.be/oQlWmG-QdGg

My pants just got tighter.

They need to make this a live staple, NOW. I still want to hear Everything and AtL leading into 10MH.

redshoewearer
11-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Just want to say thank you to The Doctor for recording and uploading All The Love in the World (since I couldn't post that in the tour journal).

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Huh. This is the first time (not counting ACL) that they haven't played 1,000,000 on this tour.

And that song has pretty much been a given, hasn't it? More so than any song since THTF, from the looks of it.

Just pointing that out in case y'all have been too dazed by ATLITW to notice. :p

gorast
11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
It's funny that 1,000,000 became Trent's go-to The Slip song rather than Discipline, which seemed like the more logical choice to me.

screwdriver
11-06-2013, 11:49 AM
It's funny that 1,000,000 became Trent's go-to The Slip song rather than Discipline, which seemed like the more logical choice to me.

totally different vibes, I think... 1m is way more of a fist-pumping sort of a song, which Trent's catalog is actually pretty light on, so I would guess they wanted to make sure the live show had some of that (hence MOTP AT EVERY DAMN SHOW). Discipline is more of a groove thing, which there's a lot of on the new album. (That said, I'd personally rather hear Discipline.)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-06-2013, 12:54 PM
totally different vibes, I think... 1m is way more of a fist-pumping sort of a song, which Trent's catalog is actually pretty light on, so I would guess they wanted to make sure the live show had some of that (hence MOTP AT EVERY DAMN SHOW). Discipline is more of a groove thing, which there's a lot of on the new album. (That said, I'd personally rather hear Discipline.)
I figure it's all about the intro. Best song to spotlight the drummer (literally, in the case of LITS and Tension).

Bmw1185
11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Alright, here is my video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4xc0HMEko&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
The thing that strikes me is that Trent waits so long to come in at the end, and then comes in hard immediately instead of gradually building up. The have 8 people on stage... Seems like they could really get crazy-intricate with it. Also the falceto is missing throughout, unlike the rehearsal demo. It does need a little work to be on par with on NIN live staples but it's awesome to see them adding new songs to set.

Kyle
11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Good luck on the falsetto. Other than the occasional line here and there he doesn't do falsetto on stage. I think that's why this hasn't been played until now. I also think it's a heavy factor into his decision to hire backup singers since there was quite a bit of it on HM. Every once in a while he'll do something like the "perfect" in Closer but even that is rare.

spahn
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Damn, that sounded great! So jealous I didn't get to hear that live. Definitely needs to be in the live rotation from now on.

Kid Charlemagne
11-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Holy shit you guys, that sounded great -- what are you people whining about?

No fucking shit dude. We finally get a song that's never been played and we have the NIN police complaining that it's not good enough? I was there, it was awesome, it was like how I pictured it would sound in my head, probably even better. Relax guys and be happy for one.

icecream
11-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Huh. This is the first time (not counting ACL) that they haven't played 1,000,000 on this tour.

And that song has pretty much been a given, hasn't it? More so than any song since THTF, from the looks of it.

Just pointing that out in case y'all have been too dazed by ATLITW to notice. :p
Yeah, Echoplex replaced it as the Slip song. Personally, I like that move because it put Sanctified after Copy of A which I think is an awesome transition. I'm only able to catch one show this year and the one song I HAVE to see is Sanctified.

GrayscaleRain
11-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you. I remember first listening to the stream of HM, waiting for 'Black Noise' to come on... it never did, and still hasn't for me. Like you said it just sounds like the progressive ending to WISH.

I don't know if any of you were at the Atlanta show, but the end of WISH/Black Noise was IMMENSE at that show. If they just sort of faded away after WISH then it would make sense not to include Black Noise on the setlist, because there was definitely SOMETHING there when I was at the show at the Phillips.

Also, there's an audible tone shift when the track switches to Black Noise on the album. I could see how people think it just continues, but there's something that changes down in there somewhere.

Also, All The Love In The World. Get hype. ^__^ (I hope they come back here later on next year so I can see the new sets. It seems like Trent's going to want to pull some fun stuff further on in the tour to keep things exciting.)

m33k
11-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure it's what I'm hearing so, my only critique for ATLITW is please, PLEASE keep Robin off the mic for the last minute or so. I love Robin but he just sounds so out of place no matter how low it is in the mix.

Other than that... awesome. *thumbs up*

captainbeyond
11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
People judging the first live recorded performance of a song and thinking they know how good/bad it sounds based on said recording?

You weren't there people. There's no way to really judge how "tight" it is from audio recorded by a microphone at a side stage angle. Being there, feeling the subs, hearing the mix in that building is the only way to really judge how "tight" a song is. I'm not saying you can't critique certain parts like Trent holding back at the end or Robin's background vocal but it makes me cringe to sit here and read people say that the band needs to tighten up.

gorast
11-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Alright, here is my video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4xc0HMEko&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GREAT audio quality, holy shit, thank you. I know if I were there, I would've been way too dumbstruck to even think of pulling my camera, so I (and everyone else here, I'm sure) am really, really glad you did. God, it sounds so good.

Regarding it not sounding "tight enough", this is literally the first time they'd ever played it to an audience, with only two known rehearsals of it recently. How tight are they going to be? It sounded gorgeous as it is. ALl I could ask for is perhaps a more faithful replication of the ending vocals, but I also understand that that can be very difficult to pull off live, and they did a great job as it is.

redshoewearer
11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
This is really good. Thanks for posting! I think seeing the visuals make it clearer why they haven't done it before this. You get a sense watching it of how complex a piece it is and how many people are needed to play it. Wow.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-07-2013, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k25UO7KxsN8

Better sound and picture (minus the lame watermark). Still not the full song though. Does anyone have the full song? Or at least the beginning?

Bmw1185
11-07-2013, 01:16 AM
GREAT audio quality, holy shit, thank you. I know if I were there, I would've been way too dumbstruck to even think of pulling my camera, so I (and everyone else here, I'm sure) am really, really glad you did. God, it sounds so good.

Regarding it not sounding "tight enough", this is literally the first time they'd ever played it to an audience, with only two known rehearsals of it recently. How tight are they going to be? It sounded gorgeous as it is. ALl I could ask for is perhaps a more faithful replication of the ending vocals, but I also understand that that can be very difficult to pull off live, and they did a great job as it is.

You are most welcome and thanks! I didn't know if I was going to get all of it because I was so focused on just experiencing everything from the center. I'm glad some appreciate my efforts.

Ryan
11-07-2013, 05:59 AM

Better sound and picture (minus the lame watermark). Still not the full song though. Does anyone have the full song? Or at least the beginning?

Pino... head bopping.... reminds me of the vulture baby from Looney Tunes.

dlb
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Wow, just wow! All the love in the world, finally! :)

I love how faithful to the album it is. Trent's rocking it! Don't know if it should become a staple in the current live setting as it's considerably quiet among the other songs but I've always loved that tune! Yay!

screwdriver
11-07-2013, 11:57 AM

I could almost forgive the watermark if it wasn't for that awful, awful logo. but thanks for uploading, Jason Jude!

butter_hole
11-07-2013, 02:33 PM
>ason jud<

Kyle
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Jud exists within the set www.facebook.com

</math humor>

Collin
11-07-2013, 03:01 PM
nice, i'm so glad they finally played this. ATLITW is easily one of NIN's most underrated tracks and one of my personal favorites. The backup singers sound great on it.

fillow
11-08-2013, 04:06 AM
Does Pino play bass through the whole show usually? Even on the songs where NIN didn't use bass guitar before? (Wish, HLAH, Reptile, Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched, Even Deeper, Into the Void)
I only know about MOTP because it was already discussed here.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah he does. Every Youtube video I've seen is him standing there not rocking, playing bass. He should really be on the end, or further back.

FernandoDante
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Since we're on the subject of "not playing":

What is Josh Eustis doing on most songs? He obviously doesn't have bass parts anymore, and every "playable" guitar part seems to be handled by Robin Finck already. Eustis is left with miming pre-recorded guitar parts, miming to synth parts that Alessandro probably has covered already (whether he's playing them or not), and... tambourine? Backing vocals? I haven't seen videos of every song yet, but on the ones I see, Eustis is pretty much inaudible.

But that one sax part is pretty cool.

Ryan
11-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Yeah he does. Every Youtube video I've seen is him standing there not rocking, playing bass. He should really be on the end, or further back.

He bops his head epically. Almost like a nervous twitch.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Josh still does some cool stuff. I think mostly soundscape parts but still cool. Check out In Two (during the breakdown) and of course disappointed and While I'm Still Here.

sick among the pure
11-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Josh plays a lot of shit, guitar (not miming, there are more than one guitar part for a lot of NIN songs, I mean, they had 3 people playing guitar on some songs before), keys, sax, whatever string thing he plays for Disappointed, backing vocals. He does something for every song, he's not just "oh, I hired this guy for the festivals and didn't want to fire him when Pino came on so I'll just let him stand around."

gorast
11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
He's not miming those guitar parts, he's playing them. They were all pretty audible at the Orlando show. He's definitely contributing to each song in a non-negligible way.

Plus, that sax part is worth having him there by itself, because I'm sure Trent didn't actually want to play that live every night, as much as we wanted him to.

jessamineny
11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
And remember that TR plays almost nothing now -- just occasional guitar (mostly the final songs of the night) and keys.

Kyle
11-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Also keep in mind that when Josh was first hired, Eric Avery was the bass player. He only got moved to bass when Eric left and wasn't replaced. This is probably closer to what was envisioned when he was hired.

Kyle
11-08-2013, 09:37 PM
And remember that TR plays almost nothing now -- just occasional guitar (mostly the final songs of the night) and keys.

Josh plays tambourine on one stinking song and you already forgot about Trent's contributions on that instrument?

Ryan
11-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Plus, that sax part is worth having him there by itself, because I'm sure Trent didn't actually want to play that live every night, as much as we wanted him to.

lol, imagine how much we'd be trolling him if he did. There'd by Trent sax gifs everywhere.

jessamineny
11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Josh plays tambourine on one stinking song and you already forgot about Trent's contributions on that instrument?

I forgot about him playing the tambourine when he quit throwing them. ;) #imnotbitter

Kyle
11-08-2013, 09:52 PM
You people do remember that Trent played sax every night on the Dissonance tour right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPKqigY09Dc

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Josh plays a lot of shit, guitar (not miming, there are more than one guitar part for a lot of NIN songs, I mean, they had 3 people playing guitar on some songs before), keys, sax, whatever string thing he plays for Disappointed, backing vocals. He does something for every song, he's not just "oh, I hired this guy for the festivals and didn't want to fire him when Pino came on so I'll just let him stand around."
It's harder to follow all the stuff he's doing without a camera locked on him like they did in those festival shows. Hopefully ACL and/or a genuine Tension film will fix that.

gorast
11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
You people do remember that Trent played sax every night on the Dissonance tour right?

That was also eighteen years ago. He's a little older now.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Holy shit. There's video of them doing Hurt with Bowie? Has that ever been released? I can't believe that's never been released. I'm trying to find my jaw on the floor.

Edit: This is why I wonder sometimes where I was during the 90s. So this was in Closure? But still not officially available.

Edit 2: Oh thank God, they put the whole thing up on Vimeo. Hold my calls for the next hour and a half.

Ryan
11-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Have they hit the stage in LA yet? Anyone going to tweet us the set list?

Kyle
11-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Setlist.fm is getting updated. So far the expected. Since I've heard there's multiple cameras here, the setlist to this show is obviously important.

Ryan
11-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Copy of A (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Copy+of+A)

1,000,000 (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=1,000,000)

Terrible Lie (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Terrible+Lie)

March of the Pigs (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=March+of+the+Pigs)

Piggy (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Piggy)

All Time Low (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=All+Time+Low)

Ryan
11-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Setlist.fm is getting updated. So far the expected. Since I've heard there's multiple cameras here, the setlist to this show is obviously important.

Yep.

I wish he'd have opened with The Eater Of Dreams for this one if it's being filmed. Why he refuses to use that I don't understand...

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Yep.

I wish he'd have opened with The Eater Of Dreams for this one if it's being filmed. Why he refuses to use that I don't understand...

Or.... Pinion!!!!

Man when the house lights go down and those guitars start I get goosebumps. But yes, live NIN is always better with some sort of intro. One exception was '06 Summer Tour with Somewhat Damaged opener just blasting into it (hey, it worked!)

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Also I don't think anyone should expect anything different from tonight's set list other than they wanna 1) not fuck it up and 2) get the visuals done properly.

<----- secretly hopes they may have added some new visual trickery into tonight's show and the rest of the tour dates

Ryan
11-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Copy of A (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Copy+of+A)

1,000,000 (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=1,000,000)

Terrible Lie (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Terrible+Lie)

March of the Pigs (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=March+of+the+Pigs)

Piggy (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Piggy)

All Time Low (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=All+Time+Low)

Disappointed (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Disappointed)

Came Back Haunted (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Came+Back+Haunted)

Find My Way (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Find+My+Way)

Various Methods of Escape (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Various+Methods+of+Escape)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:14 AM
OK, I'm back. Carry on.

Filming, eh? That's encouraging.

Eater of Dreams is such a great intro — and they habitually open the show with Copy of A anyway, so it's weird not to use it.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:16 AM
La Mer
10 characters

nooneimportant
11-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Or.... Pinion!!!!

Man when the house lights go down and those guitars start I get goosebumps. But yes, live NIN is always better with some sort of intro. One exception was '06 Summer Tour with Somewhat Damaged opener just blasting into it (hey, it worked!)

I'm surprised they haven't thought to mash-up Eater of Dreams with Pinion.

Ryan
11-09-2013, 12:18 AM

Disappointed (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Disappointed)

Came Back Haunted (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Came+Back+Haunted)

Find My Way (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Find+My+Way)

Various Methods of Escape (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Various+Methods+of+Escape)

La Mer (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=La+Mer)

The Frail (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=The+Frail)

The Wretched (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=The+Wretched)

Sanctified (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Sanctified)

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I was hoping for ITV after La Mer. Frail/Wretched is an interesting choice.

Ryan
11-09-2013, 12:24 AM
IN TWO!
ten chars

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:26 AM
I think I posted this in the LA upcoming thread- this might not be the only show they record, just like BYIT and ATCHAB, so the recording may not be finalized. Songs could change so who knows- fun to speculate though.

And like the other recordings will have future extras most likely. FUN TIMES!!!!

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Looks like we're getting into the second predictable part of the show so it's just the first few encore songs that we have left to get excited over.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:28 AM
IN TWO!
Awright! I was getting worried after the no-shows on ACL and JKL. And La Mer makes everything better.

Wonder if this is a full-on filming or if they're going to throw stuff online like they did in '09.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Do we know what they're recording with? We talking a few handhelds, or full on professional filming rigs?

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:29 AM
I think I posted this in the LA upcoming thread- this might not be the only show they record, just like BYIT and ATCHAB, so the recording may not be finalized. Songs could change so who knows- fun to speculate though.

And like the other recordings will have future extras most likely. FUN TIMES!!!!

I assumed they were going to record two or three consecutive shows all with the same (or almost the same) setlist with this being the first. Isn't that the way it usually works?

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Do we know what they're recording with? We talking a few handhelds, or full on professional filming rigs?

Pro stuff sounds like, similar to BYIT. Sorry but my phone is a bit slow right now and would like to link you to the threads but just go to the locked LA previous shows for the info.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:31 AM

I have a friend who's at the show and knows his filming stuff and he said it looks like they're filming for a blu ray. I have no idea what a jib arm is but there's one there.

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 12:33 AM
My pussy is excited

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:35 AM
I assumed they were going to record two or three consecutive shows all with the same (or almost the same) setlist with this being the first. Isn't that the way it usually works?

I hope so- I'm in Phoenix waiting for tomorrow!!

I think BYIT was filmed in OKC and El Paso (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It depnds on how things go and budgets I suppose?....

And being fans of TR we know the inner competitor had to sting him to not pull off a pro shot of LITS. Not sure how contracts work but it's pretty much a given he wanted this tour properly recorded.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Looks like there was one more song before the predictable part. :)

also... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jib_(camera)

that doesn't look like Rob's handheld 2009 on the stage recordings so they're definitely filming for something real. I know the wave goodbye shows were filmed with more than rob and his handheld but they weren't very intrusive at the show I was at. This looks like the real deal.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:37 AM
I have no idea what a jib arm is but there's one there.
So they are serious.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Ah shit! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYnAK4KCIAAgqMD.jpg:large

Krazy
11-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Google image jib arm- it's a camera dolly. Best guess right now it'll be BYIT quality and then some.

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 12:40 AM
I am way, way, WAY too excited for this.

I apparently need a fucking life.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 12:42 AM
My pussy is excited

Do you need a towel to dry off?

Ryan
11-09-2013, 12:43 AM
My pussy is excited

Pics or it didn't happen.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I am way, way, WAY too excited for this.

I apparently need a fucking life.
Life is overrated.

m15a
11-09-2013, 12:46 AM
looking at ninwiki, the set lists from the shows from BYIT were similar but not the same, but it looks like the songs that were at both shows were the ones that are on the release.

curious, though: is it really important to record everything multiple times? would recording a different show with a bunch of different songs to form a mega-concert be unreasonable? or just unlikely?

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Wait — Somewhat Damaged, then A Warm Place? Is that a typo?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2013/staples-center-los-angeles-ca-73c4aaad.html

Edit: Ah, they just fixed it.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 12:48 AM
looking at ninwiki, the set lists from the shows from BYIT were similar but not the same, but it looks like the songs that were at both shows were the ones that are on the release.

curious, though: is it really important to record everything multiple times? would recording a different show with a bunch of different songs to form a mega-concert be unreasonable? or just unlikely?
I assume it's just to make sure they have enough coverage. Cheaper and less intrusive than going in with 50 cameras.

Airbornefeline
11-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Wait — Somewhat Damaged, then A Warm Place? Is that a typo?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2013/staples-center-los-angeles-ca-73c4aaad.html

Yeah I'm going through the twitter feeds right now and editing the setlist page that way. Made a little mistake, it was a warm place then somewhat damaged as usual.

Ryan
11-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Survivalism (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Survivalism)

A Warm Place (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=A+Warm+Place)

Somewhat Damaged (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Somewhat+Damaged)

Wish (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Wish)

what? did Trent see my post about wanting Running to not be a live staple anymore? woohoo!

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Not forum appropriate

Airbornefeline
11-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Running was definitely played. No one on twitter is doing a song-by-song live tweet of the show so the order is likely incorrect until someone who is at the show comes home and edits it themself.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Not forum appropriate
Is anything?

…Watching the edits on setlist.fm is almost as entertaining as being there. Sort of. Well, no.

NINisamazing
11-09-2013, 01:06 AM
It's cool their filming, but my concern is Trent's voice in this film. sounded better early this tour.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Supposedly from the control room at the taping, though it doesn't look like much.

http://instagram.com/p/ge712zHfak/

edit: Whoops, didn't know it was video. Yeah, that's NIN all right. :)

C'mon ATLITW…

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Someone posted a snippet of Sanctified. I don't remember that from previous shows, do you? (Edit: I mean the vocals, not the song.)

http://instagram.com/p/ge_QPmRy66/

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:23 AM
encore:
Satellite
Even Deeper
In This Twilight

Probably While I'm Still Here is next. Odds of ATLITW on film don't look good. Sigh.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Maybe he'll throw us all for a loop and play the theme from Tetsuo next.

Ryan
11-09-2013, 01:26 AM
encore:
Satellite

That's a funny spot for it.

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm so glad that I've found a place where everyone is as crazy and obsessive as me. <3 you bitches.

Airbornefeline
11-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Longest show of the tour... REALLY hope they keep this longer setlist for a while. I can't fucking wait until the 11th

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm so glad that I've found a place where everyone is as crazy and obsessive as me. <3 you bitches.
I just can't figure out why it took me 40 years to get obsessed over a band. Late bloomer? Freak? Both?

Kyle
11-09-2013, 01:35 AM

Pfft. We're more crazy.

billpulsipher
11-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Just because TR is filming, that doesn't mean its going to be released...

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Plz don't crush our dreams, bro.

Kyle
11-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Looking at his track record, that's true. But I'd say there's a good chance. And I think the DVD will be called While I'm Still Here. That's my prediction for the name.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 01:42 AM
So … will they edit it down to 90 minutes like BYIT, or has AVOTT convinced them that we have the required attention span for the whole shebang?

(But hey, feel free to cut Running just for Ryan.)

Kyle
11-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Plz don't crush our dreams, bro.

Bill is our resident curmudgeon. He'd find something to complain about in the middle of a blow job.

edit - and it's why we love him.

Ryan
11-09-2013, 01:53 AM
(But hey, feel free to cut Running just for Ryan.)

Damn straight. :D

icecream
11-09-2013, 01:56 AM
I wonder how many dates will be filmed for the show? BYIT had a bunch of cool bonus songs from various shows. Maybe we might get ATLITW and other rare ones on film. It's possible for them to film 2 or three shows and splice them all together.

Trunkjob
11-09-2013, 02:01 AM
La Mer is my favorite, I hope they play it in Phoenix.

m15a
11-09-2013, 02:07 AM

seriously. i was just thinking about how there were like a dozen of us sitting around waiting for hours for someone to type the few dozen words of a set list. and it's actually fun.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Alright - I'm 99% sure I know the deal with the cameras for tonights show. http://www.facebook.com/AXSTVConcerts

Sarah K
11-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Cool... lol. Wanna share?

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Coming up: The deal with cameras. We'll back after a word from our sponsor.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 02:43 AM
Fucking FB won't let me post the image, so here's the link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/AXSTVConcerts Looks like it'll be broadcast at a later date. Often AXS shows are live, but I guess not this one. If anyone's seen them before, the mix tends to be rough and not always flattering. Trent may know and want to make sure it's mixed correctly first.

WorzelG
11-09-2013, 02:47 AM
It's cool their filming, but my concern is Trent's voice in this film. sounded better early this tour.

With audio, do you think they might have kept earlier shows soundboard recordings so they could mix it in with the video? I remember for the AATCHB live DVD Trent specifically said it wasn't an exact live replica of one show but was made up of lots of shows edited together

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 02:48 AM
"Vids to follow"

Oh yes...

Ryan
11-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Someone said this in the tour journal section. Huh? Unless they're confusing LITS with In This Twilight?

Also, clearly I missed the earlier setlists when trent added freakin' Lights in the Sky to the playlist. Hooray!

Kyle
11-09-2013, 02:51 AM
Fucking FB won't let me post the image, so here's the link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/AXSTVConcerts Looks like it'll be broadcast at a later date. Often AXS shows are live, but I guess not this one. If anyone's seen them before, the mix tends to be rough and not always flattering. Trent may know and want to make sure it's mixed correctly first.

Its better than nothing but I find that kinda disappointing. I'd rather a blu ray than a tv special. Could be both I guess.

cynicmuse
11-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Someone said this in the tour journal section. Huh? Unless they're confusing LITS with In This Twilight?
LITS wasn't played. I think that the recording is more than just AXS, because some dude walked up to the sound guy? light guy? and started asking him about the recording rig and the sound rig and the guy made a comment about a DVD.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 03:02 AM
The plot thickens

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 03:02 AM
With audio, do you think they might have kept earlier shows soundboard recordings so they could mix it in with the video? I remember for the AATCHB live DVD Trent specifically said it wasn't an exact live replica of one show but was made up of lots of shows edited together

Maybe for a pro release, but AXS tends to be a one shot deal. And they're damn protective of their content, but there are shows on dime. Metric @ Ogden, Filter @ Summerland, etc. Those will give an idea of their shows mix and camera wise.

suprefan
11-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Yeah, if its for AXS TV, that explains the 5 standard cameras used for this thing, not counting the one on the boon. If it was gonna be for a commercial release, I am sure they wouldve had more than 6 camera angles and better equipment.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Either way, from a business standpoint, (Remember Columbia is still in the picture) I can't imagine they'd put this much work into creating a show of this magnitude and not create a Blu-ray to profit from after the tour's over. That said they need to add another leg next year 'cause they missed a lot places.. Or they can just schedule one more show in the SF Bay Area. I'm cool with that.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Either way, atleast we'll have some sort of professional recording of the Tension tour.

FULLMETAL
11-09-2013, 03:17 AM
The AXS show Garbage did in Denver was later released on DVD/BluRay, so there may be hope of a physical release. Worse case, firewire capture in 1080p.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Ah. Now I remember seeing that logo when I was searching for #nin on Twitter. Hmm.

A cable channel we don't even get is not what I was hoping for, so I will think positive thoughts about a DVD. Or else send some goons over to AXS to rough them up — six of one, half a dozen of the other.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 03:36 AM
It'll be on Dime.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-09-2013, 03:37 AM
The AXS show Garbage did in Denver was later released on DVD/BluRay, so there may be hope of a physical release. Worse case, firewire capture in 1080p.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I wasn't impressed with the mix, but I'm sure they've fixed it if it's an official release.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Do they usually air the full show or will songs be cut?

simonn
11-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Its better than nothing but I find that kinda disappointing. I'd rather a blu ray than a tv special. Could be both I guess.

To be honest, 100% agree with you. In my opinion, it won't get the attention it deserves in production if it's being done by a TV company rather than TR, and they almost certainly won't play all 28 songs.

Edit - then seen cynicmuse's post, so hopeful this'll get the proper treatment.

skip niklas
11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure how they handle canned performances, but I know AXS shows everything when they do live broadcasts. They've had shows go an hour or more past their scheduled time on the guide. I've been bugging AXS on their facebook for months, first about covering an HDTA show, and then a Tension show once the tour was announced. So psyched they did it, I can't wait for the airing. In Two! Fuck yes! Hopefully they got the audio mix right, because as awesome as they are for airing shows live, they seem to have a fair amount of trouble with audio levels.

ryanmcfly
11-09-2013, 11:55 AM
The last AXS TV thing I watched was this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5LpaQPuHqw

billpulsipher
11-09-2013, 12:14 PM
AXS filiming it means it will be broadcast 100 percent...TR filming means it will be broadcast 10 percent..I am glad its AXS instead of NIN filming....If they aired the entire 90 min Korn set, I would think they would air the entire NIN set (but feel free to cut out THTF) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2d8v9cX7Vo

Volband
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Since when did NIN start playing La Mer during Tension? I had a huge wtf looking at yesterday's setlist, but not even a single La Mer video from the gig, so I guess it must've gone past me before.

If they aired the entire 90 min Korn set, I would think they would air the entire NIN set (but feel free to cut out THTF)
Ok, then cut out Disappointed as well. Who's next? I wonder which would be the last remaining song.

m15a
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Since when did NIN start playing La Mer during Tension? I had a huge wtf looking at yesterday's setlist, but not even a single La Mer video from the gig, so I guess it must've gone past me before.

EDIT: in case someone gets excited before reading below, La Mer was not played.

d'oh.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Man, there are some new guitar parts Robin is playing here that he wasn't doing live at first, and the backing vocals sound a lot better during the "I just don't know" part. I haven't watched an In Two performance in a while so I don't know if they've been doing this for a few gigs already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcVb-_dDOI

icecream
11-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Was La Mer played last night? Setlist fm doesn't have it listed but NIN WIKI does. Can't find a video of it online too.

screwdriver
11-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Man, there are some new guitar parts Robin is playing here that he wasn't doing live at first, and the backing vocals sound a lot better during the "I just don't know" part. I haven't watched an In Two performance in a while so I don't know if they've been doing this for a few gigs already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcVb-_dDOI

confession time:
in two is one of my faves on the album and its just... not working for me live. even having seen it. the breakdown and ending are awesome, but the verses just sound... wrong. its that high pitched "WEEEEEEE" sound -- it just overwhelms everything.

cynicmuse
11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Was La Mer played last night? Setlist fm doesn't have it listed but NIN WIKI does. Can't find a video of it online too.
I don't remember hearing it last night. I'm pretty sure that they went straight from VMOE to The Frail.

suprefan
11-09-2013, 01:44 PM
La Mer was not played last night. Somebody on setlist fm HAD it on there last night, but it was edited. Whoever put it on NIN Wiki has not gone back to edit it seems. And If they had played it, you sure as hell wouldve gotten a video of it out of me. Lets assume that the setlist had it, but it was cut out way last minute. But further proof would be needed if somebody had a physical copy and posted a photo.

And I made a playlist for everything I did take video of from Staples, so heres that in one nice link. Really good sound.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7IGQ3lJP0cI4zmBNSqTpKeXq_OiaqU9r

And AXS TV has aired full concerts before. Check their listings on a weekend and youll see like a 3 hour String Cheese Incident show from Red Rocks on repeat.

m15a
11-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Tom Morello just mentioned last night's concert on twitter: http://twitter.com/tmorello/status/399261826241658880

Great NIN show last night at Staples Center. Genius visuals and throbbing grooves combined for a devastatingly powerful night of music.

dunno if that's supposed to go in NIN spotting or what.

Corona Radiata
11-09-2013, 01:51 PM
AXS TV is not behind the filming.

AXS TV Concerts (https://www.facebook.com/AXSTVConcerts?ref=stream) Dear Fans of Great Music: sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but posted NIN b/c we love to attend live music shows as much as you do (not just sit in our offices). Our cameras didn't film this show BUT never say never on airing it at some point.

Looks like it may be for a Blu Ray after all.

howdidislipinto
11-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Right now you are Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and an orgasm after a week of no touching all wrapped into one.

howdidislipinto
11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
To reiterate what people have already said, La Mer definitely wasn't played. I think someone heard the first notes of The Frail and jumped the gun. It was definitely amazing though.

People have already covered the cameras/crane locations, but I just want to point out that the two big cameras at the sound tech spot (or whatever you call it) were both fixed at close to the same point... I don't want to start needless speculation (OR DO I?) but doesn't that raise the potential to have a 3D effect to be involved?

WorzelG
11-09-2013, 02:40 PM
^^Does that mean we should finally get ourselves a 3D TV ?

Torgo
11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
People have already covered the cameras/crane locations, but I just want to point out that the two big cameras at the sound tech spot (or whatever you call it) were both fixed at close to the same point... I don't want to start needless speculation (OR DO I?) but doesn't that raise the potential to have a 3D effect to be involved?

I'm pretty sure none of those cameras were 3D cameras. No need to shit yourselves over getting expensive, useless televisions.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 03:46 PM
confession time:
in two is one of my faves on the album and its just... not working for me live. even having seen it. the breakdown and ending are awesome, but the verses just sound... wrong. its that high pitched "WEEEEEEE" sound -- it just overwhelms everything.
I don't remember hearing that from earlier shows. Might have been a quirk of the acoustics.

screwdriver
11-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't remember hearing that from earlier shows. Might have been a quirk of the acoustics.

it was definitely at the show I was at (barclays) and has been on the bootlegs I've heard...

screwdriver
11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure none of those cameras were 3D cameras. No need to shit yourselves over getting expensive, useless televisions.

die, 3d, die!

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 04:02 PM
it was definitely at the show I was at (barclays) and has been on the bootlegs I've heard...
I'll have to go back and listen to the others again. It was the first thing I noticed watching the Staples video (and that was before I read your comment), but it wouldn't be the first time I was totally oblivious … until I wasn't. :p

billpulsipher
11-09-2013, 05:35 PM

So that means TR filmed it...Look for the release sometime in 2018..then again he may wait 20 years and bury it like he did the 1995 concert film he recorded

ryanmcfly
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
So that means TR filmed it...Look for the release sometime in 2018..then again he may wait 20 years and bury it like he did the 1995 concert film he recorded

Don't forget the 2009 pro shot stuff too.

Akahige
11-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Looks like it may be for a Blu Ray after all.interesting, I wonder if they'll film tonight also to get more angles covered.

m15a
11-09-2013, 07:29 PM

BLOCK

. . . is that how the block function works on here?

jessamineny
11-09-2013, 07:45 PM
interesting, I wonder if they'll film tonight also to get more angles covered.

Nobody in the Phoenix thread has reported anything.

Makes sense, though. If I were the production company, I'd want some time (at the very least, a few days) to be able to assess the footage I already shot and see what worked and what didn't, where I had holes, and strategically decide what I needed to shoot differently/additionally on a second night. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver are all relatively comparable in size to LA Staples. Seattle is the most sold out, from what I can tell. My guess: Another taping in Seattle.

ryanmcfly
11-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I was hoping they would just shoot both shows in Vegas. I feel like it just makes too much sense.

jessamineny
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I was hoping they would just shoot both shows in Vegas. I feel like it just makes too much sense.

The venue is too small. They can't get the production inside. Rob confirmed on Twitter.

ryanmcfly
11-09-2013, 07:55 PM
The venue is too small. They can't get the production inside. Rob confirmed on Twitter.

Friggin lame. Maybe a live album then.

Krazy
11-09-2013, 08:43 PM

Whoa dude, back the fuck up.

- AATCHB from the 2000 shows, released in 2002
- BYIT from the 2006 shows, released in 2007

This shit takes time to edit and mix properly (assuming the NIN camp is happy with what they captured). They're not gonna release it to YT in a week. I think an early to mid 2015 date is a more than fair without complaining about it.

<-------- starts walking to US Airways Center!!

billpulsipher
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
He recorded a show in 1990 in Washington dc...Released it in 2010 to promote the PHM remaster...so that was only 20 years...he recorded a couple 1995 shows that have never been released and sit in the vaults...He recorded shows at the end of the 2009 wave goodbye tour which will also never see the light of day...TR is as bas as Robert Smith when it comes to recording shows and burying them forever....god knows what else he has recorded that he has never released....I think my point is more than valid that theres a pretty good chance if TR isn't happy with it, he will bury it

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I think my point is more than valid that theres a pretty good chance if TR isn't happy with it, he will bury it
That's totally his prerogative. My sense is that BYIT is the first one that was really up to his standards, so that's his benchmark.

r_k_f
11-09-2013, 09:51 PM
He recorded a show in 1990 in Washington dc...Released it in 2010 to promote the PHM remaster...so that was only 20 years...he recorded a couple 1995 shows that have never been released and sit in the vaults...He recorded shows at the end of the 2009 wave goodbye tour which will also never see the light of day...TR is as bas as Robert Smith when it comes to recording shows and burying them forever....god knows what else he has recorded that he has never released....I think my point is more than valid that theres a pretty good chance if TR isn't happy with it, he will bury it

but it when was the last time Robert Smith released 400gigs of HD footage to his fan base to do what they please with? :P

howdidislipinto
11-09-2013, 10:08 PM

You have such a strange, backwards way of looking at things.

Every time NIN has put on a big "production," TR has gone out of his way to archive it.

- Closure, in addition to the live portion (which covers the 1995 tour you're whining about in a style TR preferred), included the pro-shot Eraser and Wish on the music video tape, just to show off the live production.
- AATCHB got it all.
- BYIT recorded the big production in HD, and then TR and Rob accidentally went and made an even cooler show for summer 2006. The filmed those too, even though they couldn't get it in as good quality, just to archive on the bluray.
- The ONE big production they didn't manage to archive in some way was LITS, and Trent went out of his way to explain to us how they got fucked over and then didn't just make sure we could film it ourselves, he filmed it and GAVE US THE FOOTAGE.

But yeah, fuck it, we'll never see Tension again anywhere. Obviously.

BRoswell
11-09-2013, 10:30 PM
TR is as bas as Robert Smith when it comes to recording shows and burying them forever....god knows what else he has recorded that he has never released....I think my point is more than valid that theres a pretty good chance if TR isn't happy with it, he will bury it

But why would you fucking bother to think about it that way? Sure, if it hasn't come out five years from now, feel free to do so, but they just filmed the fucker. Let's give them a chance to put it out at some point in the next year or so, hmm?

FernandoDante
11-09-2013, 10:31 PM
That's totally his prerogative. My sense is that BYIT is the first one that was really up to his standards, so that's his benchmark.

Thanks, overdubbing!

nooneimportant
11-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm sure we will see Tension footage, also about that 1995 Tour footage... I seem to recall someone posting a thread on here about finding the entire show... that needs to like, get figured out ASAP. The classic NIN tour and the only good footage is 3 music videos and the not-up-to-standard Woodstock '94 performance. WEIRD.

captainbeyond
11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
confession time:

I noticed this on a few recordings and yeah its on this LA show as well. It seems to be Alessandro's synth, just a two note thing that for some reason is loud as balls! When I saw the song performed at Nashville, the loudness of that part was not there and it sounded perfectly mixed.

FULLMETAL
11-10-2013, 12:39 AM
http://imgur.com/gcGc5ZBl.jpg

Fuck yeah, Phoenix!!

powerpipe
11-10-2013, 12:41 AM
http://imgur.com/gcGc5ZBl.jpg

Fuck yeah, Phoenix!!

All the love in the WHAT?!

billpulsipher
11-10-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm sure we will see Tension footage, also about that 1995 Tour footage... I seem to recall someone posting a thread on here about finding the entire show... that needs to like, get figured out ASAP. The classic NIN tour and the only good footage is 3 music videos and the not-up-to-standard Woodstock '94 performance. WEIRD.

My point was Trent recorded that 1995 show then buried it, and instead chose to release Closure which doesn't come close to capturing that tour....He also buried the 2009 wave goodbye pro shot...Its cool that he filmed the show last night, but people assuming that 100 percent guarantees a release are jumping to conclusions...as for the 95 show, whoever posted that they found it, disappeared into the night..

Kyle
11-10-2013, 01:21 AM
While it's not guaranteed, I would say there is a MUCH better than 50-50 chance it gets released. While you're right about the wave goodbye shows, they weren't a major production like the other shows the earlier person mentioned. The only major production that was recorded and shelved was the self destruct tour. And 1995 Trent was a very different person than 2013 Trent.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Thanks, overdubbing!
Is this an "overdubs are evil" comment, or do you mean the shows they shot for BYIT sucked so much that they had to overdub them to have something worth releasing? :confused:

Kyle
11-10-2013, 01:25 AM

You haven't been following this thread have you?

howdidislipinto
11-10-2013, 02:51 AM
My point was Trent recorded that 1995 show then buried it, and instead chose to release Closure which doesn't come close to capturing that tour....He also buried the 2009 wave goodbye pro shot...Its cool that he filmed the show last night, but people assuming that 100 percent guarantees a release are jumping to conclusions...as for the 95 show, whoever posted that they found it, disappeared into the night..

You may not think Closure captures that tour, but the guy in charge does. He included the proshot footage for some of the "big production" songs on the second tape. The Self Destruct tour is archived -- it wasn't "buried" just because you personally feel you didn't get enough angles or a crisp picture. So basically the only example you have of Trent burying a concert document is 2009, which wasn't a big production.

Seems more like you're the one jumping to conclusions when prior evidence shows that NIN has gone out of their way to document every single big production, traditionally or gift-style.

FernandoDante
11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Is this an "overdubs are evil" comment, or do you mean the shows they shot for BYIT sucked so much that they had to overdub them to have something worth releasing? :confused:

I mean that BYIT sounds pretty awesome, with great performances all around. And when you listen to bootlegs from that period, they weren't all that perfect all the time. The TOIOU project has a FAQ section that jokingly references BYIT being overdubbed, but I have no idea if they actually did it or not.

I'm not really against overdubbing, as long as it's done reasonably. Plus, it'd be yet another page that Trent borrows from the Kiss book - you know how Kiss Alive was made, right?

Corona Radiata
11-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I asked the guy who posted the video from the control room if the filming was for a DVD/Blu Ray release. His response was.
@broskirose1 (https://twitter.com/broskirose1) can't say for sure. I'd keep an eye on http://www. (http://www.nin.com@broskirose1[/QUOTE)nin.com

butter_hole
11-10-2013, 02:42 PM
World. All the love in the world.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 03:48 PM
I mean that BYIT sounds pretty awesome, with great performances all around. And when you listen to bootlegs from that period, they weren't all that perfect all the time. The TOIOU project has a FAQ section that jokingly references BYIT being overdubbed, but I have no idea if they actually did it or not.

I'm not really against overdubbing, as long as it's done reasonably. Plus, it'd be yet another page that Trent borrows from the Kiss book - you know how Kiss Alive was made, right?
If you've got high standards in the studio, you've just spent a lot of money recording a show, and you cringe when you listen to it afterwards … as long as you aren't going around telling people "I've never overdubbed a show in my life," I don't see anything wrong with fixing things that are gonna sound distracting (like the synths on In Two (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2435-Twenty-Thirteen-Tension-Tour-Tug-Thread-SETLIST-SPOILERS!?p=150584#post150584)?) to the people listening at home.

But like you say, don't over do it. I remember the crowd noise on one of Rob's 2009 videos was really unnatural sounding. Would have been better left alone.

I wasn't aware of the Kiss Alive overdubbing thing until I looked it up just now.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
You may not think Closure captures that tour, but the guy in charge does. He included the proshot footage for some of the "big production" songs on the second tape.
Where did the Bowie footage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2435-Twenty-Thirteen-Tension-Tour-Tug-Thread-SETLIST-SPOILERS!?p=150351#post150351) from 4 pages back in this thread come from? Aside from the quality difference, it looked like Closure's version of Hurt was from a different show. Is that the mythical '95 stuff billpulsipher is bitching about?

reseen_lamenti
11-10-2013, 04:06 PM
So long as you're not overdubbing to the borderline-criminal extent (http://media.seven1963.org/Audios/mm/mp3/2001-10-08.rar) of Manson's 2001 LA show for his Guns God Government dvd/blu-ray, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Especially since BYIT's aren't all that noticeable other than Trent's vocals on TLBTB's choruses and Aaron's guitar throughout the show.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 04:18 PM
So long as you're not overdubbing to the borderline-criminal extent (http://media.seven1963.org/Audios/mm/mp3/2001-10-08.rar) of Manson's 2001 LA show for his Guns God Government dvd/blu-ray, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Yuck. That is pretty blatant. What a caricature…

Especially since BYIT's aren't all that noticeable other than Trent's vocals on TLBTB's choruses and Aaron's guitar throughout the show.
I did wonder how the hell Aaron could possibly be playing that well and look so careless doing it. Didn't make the obvious conclusion that he wasn't. :rolleyes:

Was he always like that?

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Started a thread here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2698-Rare-Tension-Cuts-Multicam-Project) regarding this project: Here's the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gloEaKzXA4

billpulsipher
11-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Where did the Bowie footage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2435-Twenty-Thirteen-Tension-Tour-Tug-Thread-SETLIST-SPOILERS!?p=150351#post150351) from 4 pages back in this thread come from? Aside from the quality difference, it looked like Closure's version of Hurt was from a different show. Is that the mythical '95 stuff billpulsipher is bitching about?
Some dude posted here 4 months ago claiming he has the "lost tape" of an ENTIRE 1995 show that was professionally filmed, which TR was going to release as a concert film, but instead buried....The guy offered it up here and then disappeared never to be heard from again........And that Bowie footage had NOTHING to do with TR..That was some dude who filmed it and uploaded it on the net 3 years ago

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Some dude posted here 4 months ago claiming he has the "lost tape" of an ENTIRE 1995 show that was professionally filmed, which TR was going to release as a concert film, but instead buried....The guy offered it up here and then disappeared never to be heard from again........And that Bowie footage had NOTHING to do with TR..That was some dude who filmed it and uploaded it on the net 3 years ago
Uh … "some dude" shot pro-quality multicam footage that had "nothing to do with TR"? [citation needed] ;)

Kyle
11-10-2013, 07:08 PM
The Bowie footage came from a professional recording that was never used. The guy who uploaded it did it as a resume type thing to show off his work, and very quickly changed it to private but it was too late by then. It was already out there.

The 1995 footage was from a further down the spiral show that was recorded and scrapped by Trent. The Eraser/Hurt/Wish from Closure was all that has been seen from that video.

Bill says he "disappeared" but he's been in contact with admins from here and RITC. If anything comes of it remains to be seen but its not as completely gone as his negativity suggests.

Kaze
11-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Uh … "some dude" shot pro-quality multicam footage that had "nothing to do with TR"? [citation needed] ;)

This.
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2013-What-s-this-concert-footage

gorast
11-10-2013, 07:33 PM
This.
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2013-What-s-this-concert-footage

JPH was talking about the Bowie footage, which was indeed professional multicam footage that couldn't have been filmed without the go-ahead from either Bowie or TR, not the fabled Closure footage.

Kyle
11-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking that might have been more Bowie than Trent just based on the fact that it doesn't have any just NIN stuff but there is some just bowie stuff. That's purely speculation though.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2013, 07:40 PM
JPH was talking about the Bowie footage
Indeed, but thanks Kaze for the link to the Norton Canes thread. Verruh interesting…

m33k
11-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Started a thread here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2698-Rare-Tension-Cuts-Multicam-Project) regarding this project: Here's the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gloEaKzXA4

For some reason... all I can think of watching Ilan play this is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QAjj20wbdU

captainbeyond
11-10-2013, 10:12 PM
I did wonder how the hell Aaron could possibly be playing that well and look so careless doing it. Didn't make the obvious conclusion that he wasn't. :rolleyes:

Was he always like that?

I've always thought that some of his solos (The Big Comedown) sounded wayyy too fucking crisp and clean considering what he's doing in some of those shots. But I figured it was audio from possibly another night sync'd with the video to another...

theimage13
11-11-2013, 07:45 AM
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but after re-listening to the end of a show, I've decided two things should happen.

1) Hurt needs to get moved or scrapped entirely, and
2) While I'm Still Here needs to be the closer.

I mean...most of us have probably heard Hurt thousands of times, even if it's our first show. It loses a little something there. But the final lyrics to While I'm Still Here were downright haunting live, and I would've been much more moved to walk out after that than after listening to 8,000 people sing over a 20 year old song. Facepalm away.

Kyle
11-11-2013, 08:03 AM
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but after re-listening to the end of a show, I've decided two things should happen.

1) Hurt needs to get moved or scrapped entirely, and
2) While I'm Still Here needs to be the closer.

I mean...most of us have probably heard Hurt thousands of times, even if it's our first show. It loses a little something there. But the final lyrics to While I'm Still Here were downright haunting live, and I would've been much more moved to walk out after that than after listening to 8,000 people sing over a 20 year old song. Facepalm away.

i think you're more likely to get face palmed over the fact that you think that's an unpopular opinion.

Frozen Beach
11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I think rather than ditching Hurt, they should do the version that Trent did with David Bowie.

r_k_f
11-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Was he always like that?

ive thought that to, but on the other hand, when I listened to a soundboard captured bootleg or all the various rehearsal tracks I'm amazed at the quality... I don't play guitar, but my buddy that plays made an interesting observation in regards to North, he said that what he was playing wasn't all that difficult, but that his "showmanship" makes it look way more difficult just because he is so wild. That was specifically in regards to TBCD while we were watching BYIT..

billpulsipher
11-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I think rather than ditching Hurt, they should do the version that Trent did with David Bowie.
That might be hard since Bowie...you know, hasn't toured in 9 years

Kyle
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
That might be hard since Bowie...you know, hasn't toured in 9 years

Because clearly that's what he meant.

gorast
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I wonder if Hurt could be realistically moved to before WISH/BN, like how In This Twilight closed the last few tours while Hurt immediately preceded it. This arrangement of Hurt is gorgeous and I don't want to get rid of it, but WISH does work much better as a true closer, I think.

skullboy0
11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
ive thought that to, but on the other hand, when I listened to a soundboard captured bootleg or all the various rehearsal tracks I'm amazed at the quality... I don't play guitar, but my buddy that plays made an interesting observation in regards to North, he said that what he was playing wasn't all that difficult, but that his "showmanship" makes it look way more difficult just because he is so wild. That was specifically in regards to TBCD while we were watching BYIT..

Yeah, every bootleg I've heard I couldn't find any mistakes in his playing. I've heard Robin mess up a few times, & even Trent forgot a whole verse of Terrible Lie at Charter One on the 2009 tour.

WorzelG
11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I wonder if Hurt could be realistically moved to before WISH/BN, like how In This Twilight closed the last few tours while Hurt immediately preceded it. This arrangement of Hurt is gorgeous and I don't want to get rid of it, but WISH does work much better as a true closer, I think.

everyone would end up getting up to leave before WISH though!

Ripe(withdecay)
11-11-2013, 02:24 PM
This is the best Nine Inch Nails tour ever, in my opinion.