PDA

View Full Version : Trent doing an AMA on Reddit Dec 5th 2013 around 12:00 PM PST

Corona Radiata
12-04-2013, 06:02 PM
nine inch nails ‏@nineinchnails 7h (https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/408310700474249217) Tomorrow around noon PST, ask @trent_reznor (https://twitter.com/trent_reznor) anything live on @Reddit (https://twitter.com/reddit). Watch here for the direct link. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA (http://t.co/mSDH0ILphG)

Ryan
12-04-2013, 06:11 PM
For the love of god someone ask why And All That Could Have Been hasn't been played live yet! Or all those unplayed songs from The Fragile!

Ryan
12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Also, when is The Fragile re-release coming out?

Ryan
12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Also, will he relent and finally play "Everything" live in 2014? And reconsider releasing the video for the song?

m0reta
12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm going to ask Trent what was it like filming 'Light of Day'?! Any set stories or interactions with the awesome Michael J. Fox he could share!?!! *starry eyes*

/maybe-kinda-somewhat-serious

Ryan
12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Will a collaboration with Gary Numan be happening any time soon?

Will Demon Seed or remaining unplayed songs from The Slip appear live soon?

Will we hear more of Ghosts live?

Will The Perfect Drug ever make a live debut?

Will Zero-Sum or The New Flesh ever be played live in their entirety?

Is a reissue of Broken/Fixed packaged together still on the cards?

Will Leaving Hope or AATCHB ever close a show rather than Hurt?

You did ATLITW. Where's Sunspots live?

This Wreckage
12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
The exact time I have to work tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for a Tension live DVD/Blu-Ray announcement, personally.

EDIT: and what Ryan said about working with Gary Numan. SO MUCH THIS.

onthewall2983
12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
What was it like working with Robbie Robertson and Clapton.

brokenfragility
12-04-2013, 07:02 PM
What about "will there be another album anytime soon?" I really need to know

slave2thewage
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
trnt y u no play kloser @ tencion?

Microwave Jellyfish
12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
FINALLY we can ask for some updates about Tapeworm, too.

sheepdean
12-04-2013, 08:11 PM
When will the Option 30 reunion concert be

reseen_lamenti
12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Would yoo ever konsider working with Merlyn Mansoon again?

Ryan
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Can you start posting on ETS again?

nineismine
12-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Can you start trolling on ETS again?

I fixed it for you!

m15a
12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
i don't think i'll be online during this, but maybe someone can ask about the quiet background talking in Disappointed? is that kind of random trivia what he's likely to answer?

OSLIN
12-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Question #1: Trent, in the song Everything it begins with you singing and I quote, "I survived everything". Does that include the song Everything?

screwdriver
12-04-2013, 10:11 PM
For the love of god someone ask why And All That Could Have Been hasn't been played live yet! Or all those unplayed songs from The Fragile!

dude, I am totally with you
but I think the answer would just be "we (I) didn't think it flowed right" or "the song didn't translate" or something about how it just didn't work in a live setting at the time they tried it. There's gotta be some other questions we could harass him with LIKE WHERE IS MY MOTHERFUCKING DELUXE FRAGILE EDITION (for the 100th time)

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
What about the pro-shot footage from the 90's? Will we ever see a formal release without a timecode on it? Or a leaked one?

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Why hasn't the Perfect Drug been played live?? If someone doesn't ask that, someone's getting a bullet in the face. I don't know who, but somebody is..

Ryan
12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Question #1: Trent, in the song Everything it begins with you singing and I quote, "I survived everything". Does that include the song Everything?

Trent: did your balls hurt when you first heard the opening vocal effects on the Autolux mix of Everything?

Frolick Shiawase
12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I just hear the Autolux remix of Eveything... It caught me off-guard.

I don't know, but I think I can expect some "Soon."s

Tapeworm? Fragile Deluxe Re-release? Broken/Fixed?
"Soon."

Now, there are some interesting questions here, like Leaving Hope or AATCHB as a gig closer... I just got goosebumps all over myself, imagining it...

I dunno, personally, I'd ask about what direction the production will take, with the changes to the music of the tours... Will it be the same setup with different effects?

Or something about a future Halo release, like a remix EP.

BenAkenobi
12-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Trent: did your balls hurt when you first heard the opening vocal effects on the Autolux mix of Everything?

don't you dare

gorast
12-04-2013, 11:05 PM
"Trent is the Fragile reissue still a thing"

"what's your opinion of Marilyn Manson this week"

"Trent do you remember that offhand comment about the Broken reissue is that still happening give us a time and date"

"who else was part of Tapeworm that you didn't tell us about"

"when will we all get @youcunt.com email addresses"

There, that's the entire AMA predicted.

ManBurning
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Someone needs to ask him if he has considered playing The Fragile: Live from beginning to end in a touring concert series kind of like what Roger Waters does with the wall. That would be epic to see. Bring back every Live member of NIN that has ever played live, as i'm sure you'd need alot of musicians doing different things at different times.

Oh God, This needs to happen!!

Sept 2014 15th Anniversary "The Fragile" Deluxe re-issue with accompanying Fragility V3.0 world tour. "The Fragile: Live"

Ryan
12-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Someone needs to ask him if he has considered playing The Fragile: Live from beginning to end in a touring concert series kind of like what Roger Waters does with the wall. That would be epic to see. Bring back every Live member of NIN that has ever played live, as i'm sure you'd need alot of musicians doing different things at different times.

Sept 2014 15th Anniversary "The Fragile" Deluxe re-issue with accompanying Fragility V3.0 world tour. "The Fragile: Live"

And Still as the encore.

Frolick Shiawase
12-04-2013, 11:22 PM

I second this... but didn't Trent himself say he didn't want to become a "Nostalgia act"?

Ryan
12-04-2013, 11:24 PM
I second this... but didn't Trent himself say he didn't want to become a "Nostalgia act"?

APC did Mer De Noms live and that came out a year after The Fragile. A one-off wouldn't be bad at all.

...especially with Still as the encore.

Frolick Shiawase
12-04-2013, 11:26 PM

We gotta push Trent to do this at a̶t̶ ̶g̶u̶n̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ with peaceful persuassion.

ManBurning
12-04-2013, 11:28 PM

He did do The Downward Spiral in full for the first time ever just a few years back... so anything is possible.

ItsJustDave
12-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Here's mine.

Does it ever get annoying when people pretend to ask you questions when they're really just telling you what they think you should do?

nooneimportant
12-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Someone should tell Trent to grow a long beard and wear a wizard costume on stage for the 2014 shows. This will take tracks such as "Gave Up" and "1,000,000" to new heights.

Tumnayar
12-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Someone compile a serious list of questions for this for those who cannot attend please!

Will Closer to god make a comeback one of these days as a live song?

ManBurning
12-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Someone compile a serious list of questions for this for those who cannot attend please!

"Where is the Fragile Deluxe Re-issue?" IS a serious question! lol

Tumnayar
12-05-2013, 12:27 AM
"Where is the Fragile Deluxe Re-issue?" IS a serious question! lol

Of course that is, I'd like to know as well, but some people are poorly trolling already ;)

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 12:43 AM
The Fragile will come out with a 35 year anniversary edition

Omega
12-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Ok, so I am so not with the times..I guess I need a Reddit account to do this?

I can never think of good questions to ask, ugh.

Can I get a virtual hug? LOL. That's all I got. I totally brain fart in times like this haha.

How's Bowie doin? You guys like hang out lately or? Brain. Fart. lol.

martin_b
12-05-2013, 01:17 AM
#1. Trent, is there any chances to see some additional videos from Wave Goodbye tour filmed by Rob?
#2. Are you planning to share track samples of Hesitation Marks songs (as you did in case of Year Zero)?
#3. Is there any chance to share for the NIN community a soundboard recording of any of the TDS Live performances during Wave Goodbye tour?
#4. Trent, do you still have those rehearsals recordings from the Wave Goodbye tour? ;-)

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 01:26 AM
#1. Trent, is there any chances to see some additional videos from Wave Goodbye tour filmed by Rob?
#2. Are you planning to share track samples of Hesitation Marks songs (as you did in case of Year Zero)?
#3. Is there any chance to share for the NIN community a soundboard recording of any of the TDS Live performances during Wave Goodbye tour?
#4. Trent, do you still have those rehearsals recordings from the Wave Goodbye tour? ;-)
He'll never release soundboard audio. Ever.

martin_b
12-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I'm aware of that... unfortunately.

icecream
12-05-2013, 01:53 AM
I would ask, "What was it about The Slip that you found 'weird', as you said in a recent interview?"

Hyperpower
12-05-2013, 01:53 AM
He'll never release soundboard audio. Ever.

well then maybe a good question is "whats your reasoning behind not releasing soundboard audio?"
or something like that.

BRoswell
12-05-2013, 01:54 AM

As far as I know, they weren't allowed to record audio/video for the first performance, so the TOIOU release is the best you're going to get for that. As for the second performance, I read there were cameras filming it, but who knows what the situation is with all the footage they shot.

well then maybe a good question is "whats your reasoning behind not releasing soundboard audio?"
I believe someone asked him about that during the first AMA he did. He basically said not every show is the band at its best, and that he didn't want to release audio of a performance if he didn't feel it was a true representation of what the band could accomplish. Make of that what you will in regards to the Wave Goodbye shows.

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 01:58 AM
or something like that.
Like most bands, because you're hearing the audio in a way it's not meant to be heard

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-05-2013, 02:20 AM
I would ask, "What was it about The Slip that you found 'weird', as you said in a recent interview?"

He pretty much answered this in the Hesitation Marks iTunes deluxe edition bonus track where he talks about the process of the album. He mentions the details of the rules behind The Slip being that nothing was tuned to perfection, etc. Check it out.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-05-2013, 02:21 AM
I just hope people don't waste this opportunity by asking the same tired Goddamn stupid questions they always ask.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-05-2013, 02:23 AM
And this post is just to hit the personal milestone of 100 posts. Congratulations me! I couldn't have done it without you.

fillow
12-05-2013, 02:24 AM
1. What really happened with cancelled HTDA festival shows?
2. Were there any rehearsed HTDA songs that left unplayed? Did you consider playing IYLSE?
3. Any news on soundtracks front?
4. Was a decision to hire Pino motivated by the original Tension tour 6-piece-band concept?
5. Any setlist surprises for 2014 tours? Not asking for specific spoilers

BenAkenobi
12-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Do you have specific song names for Quake score?

WorzelG
12-05-2013, 02:27 AM
I'd ask if he has remained on good terms with Adrian Belew after he left the live band as I love what he added to the album (and would hate to think of no more Belew / NIN collabs)

Volband
12-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Where is everybody?

Microwave Jellyfish
12-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Is the HM artwork a reference to TDS?
Is Everything a reference to the "Everything is blue in this world" line from TDS?
Is that the TDS motif in CBC?
Why aren't there any more appearances of TDS motif on HM?

i don't think i'll be online during this, but maybe someone can ask about the quiet background talking in Disappointed? is that kind of random trivia what he's likely to answer?
^Joking aside, this, I'd like to happen. Seriously.

Same goes for the "vocals" on The Eater of Dreams. Or were those cracked already?

martin_b
12-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Do you have specific song names for Quake score?

I remember that I have read about it somewhere in the Internet. I do not remember if it was a review or interview, but it was something about that Trent named the first Quake track as "IMHO". And according to what I remember that "IMHO" title was some kind of Trent's personal pay tribute to the very-best-of-Id-Software-games. :-)

Conan The Barbarian
12-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Wait, won't this ama interfere with the stream of the tension show?

Highly Psychological
12-05-2013, 06:04 AM
How many unreleased songs do you have?
Would you ever consider releasing The Fragile's lost songs, perhaps via the Internet, i heard there were many also other rumored songs like
Just Do It, I Can Make Myself Forget, My Dead Friend etc. Are they going to gather dust forever?

What did you see in Marylin Manson back in 1992? I cant understand why you signed him or what you saw in him, it all seemed style over substance, any information behind your reasoning for this decision would be grateful.

Is it true that in March 1989 while in England a promoter booked NIN to support Cabaret Voltaire on a few dates of their uk tour but pulled out because you could not get the band together at that time? Would have been legendary gig!

Fangster_
12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
I am not Trent Reznor and I'm here to answer your questions.

Is the HM artwork a reference to TDS?

Yes.

Is Everything a reference to the "Everything is blue in this world" line from TDS?

No.

Same goes for the "vocals" on The Eater of Dreams. Or were those cracked already?

I'd say "Let go of me"

Ninwiki says "Ain't going back"

Seriously?

icklekitty
12-05-2013, 06:18 AM
I was not aware that the AMA Reddit was taking place in this thread.

Krazy
12-05-2013, 06:40 AM

Hey Trent, would you be able to click on this following link!?!?:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2780-Trent-doing-an-AMA-on-Reddit-tomorrow-around-12-00-PM-PST

Ash512
12-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Only questions that really matter :
-What can we expect from the 2014 shows in terms of setlist and production?
-Are Pino, Sharlotte and Lisa still on board for the 2014 shows or will the band revert back to a five piece?
-After this trek is over, is there another album in the works?
-Are you planning to tour on that scale again after 2014?

hani
12-05-2013, 07:37 AM
my questions:
fragile re-release + the fragile: live?
the four of us are dying + demon seed live?
are Pino and girls staying for 2014?
have you ever thought about producing SONOIO's (A. Cortini) album? wouldn't that be awesome or what
what is your plan for the future of NIN?
how are your wife and kids taking the extensive touring?
why did you decide to bail on HM videos? will we ever get vids for CoA, All Time Low, In Two or something?
any blu-ray live releases "soon"?
what music are you listening to lately? any great bands/albums you recommend for NIN fans?
what's your 2k13 album/song/movie of the year?
will you hug me in Katowice, June 2014?

I'd say "Let go of me"

Ninwiki says "Ain't going back"

Seriously?

I always thought it's "Ain't going back" and I prefer to believe it because it's so in tune with the concept of the album.

screwdriver
12-05-2013, 09:09 AM
APC did Mer De Noms live and that came out a year after The Fragile. A one-off wouldn't be bad at all.

I'm sorry, I love APC but they seem like one shameless nostalgia act these days.

I guess as long as I'm jumping in here, I'd like to know more gear oriented questions, since there's no gear interviews out this time around (which makes me sad):

You've mentioned the Maschine was big in terms of songwriting for HM -- what other pieces of gear played prominent roles?

Have you used the Octatrack? What is your impression of it? What are you using it for -- loop mangling? Songwriting?

If you had to hunker down to just one piece of gear/plugin (not counting your DAW), what would it be?

theimage13
12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Weird...every time I navigate to ETS, my browser redirects to reddit. But it looks like ETS.

My head hurts.

scorpiusdiamond
12-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Why hasn't the Perfect Drug been played live?? If someone doesn't ask that, someone's getting a bullet in the face. I don't know who, but somebody is..

Josh Freese already answered this. See the NIN Wiki

skullboy0
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Wait, won't this ama interfere with the stream of the tension show?

12PM Pacific. So 2 hours after the stream was set to premiere.

m15a
12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

we're just pre-gaming. ;)

but imagine he actually looked at this thread, and thought these were serious questions. LOL.

i should probably figure out how to play this reddit thing . .

Omega
12-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Where is everybody?

That made me lol a bit:).

sick among the pure
12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
we're just pre-gaming. ;)

but imagine he actually looked at this thread, and thought these were serious questions. LOL.

i should probably figure out how to play this reddit thing . .

Yeah, finally decided to make an account so I can participate. I went uber-nerd with my Exhibit 24 number since my usually screen names were all taken.

Digital Twilight
12-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Only questions that really matter :
-What can we expect from the 2014 shows in terms of setlist and production?
-Are Pino, Sharlotte and Lisa still on board for the 2014 shows or will the band revert back to a five piece?
-After this trek is over, is there another album in the works?
-Are you planning to tour on that scale again after 2014?

Yeah these please.

elementroejoy
12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah these please.
No, keep it to questions we won't eventually know the answers to, like the set lists or tour line up. And no questions we've already gotten answered a hundred times before.

Omega
12-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Have fun guys, hopefully, you guys will get some of your questions answered!

I'd like to know when another album is coming out already...I've already burnt myself out on HM. LOL.

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
is the link up yet?

theimage13
12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Not only do I not see the link, but I don't even see this listed on their calendar. Where did this info actually come from?

Edit: yeah...so...here's their schedule. Absolutely no mention whatsoever of anyone even remotely related to Nine Inch Nails.

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=amaverify%40gmail.com

ryanp16
12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Not yet.

10chars

Omega
12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Is it running late? Or?

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Not only do I not see the link, but I don't even see this listed on their calendar. Where did this info actually come from?

Edit: yeah...so...here's their schedule. Absolutely no mention whatsoever of anyone even remotely related to Nine Inch Nails.

NIN's twitter announced it.

Omega
12-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Ditto on all of this.

LithoChasm
12-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Link is up: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/

tony.parente
12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
It beginnnssss :d

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes... Inquiring minds want to know!: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdueozs

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I put a question in but I don't see it. I don't understand how this works apparently.

Trains
12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
My question.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdueugv (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdueugv)

Not an altogether new question, but still something I would really like to know.

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Omg he mentioned tapeworm in passing, we're all doomed

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Is there a way to see what he's answering aside from scrolling randomly and coming across them? I can click on his name and see his answers but I don't think the questions show up there.
tony.parente A ha, thanks! I didn't know that's what the "context" link meant.

tony.parente
12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Is there a way to see what he's answering aside from scrolling randomly and coming across them? I can click on his name and see his answers but I don't think the questions show up there.

http://www.reddit.com/user/trent-reznor
Just F5 that and it'll show up when he posts. Under the answer you can click context and see what the question was.

cahernandez
12-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Click on the button "context" and you'll see the question.

sweeterthan
I put a question in but I don't see it. I don't understand how this works apparently.
Me either. I keep refreshing and seeing others comments but nothing new from Trent. Guess I should wait until it's over.

JessicaSarahS

http://www.reddit.com/user/trent-reznor -> Click on "context" under each of the answers to get the question.

tony.parente
12-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Is there an echo in here?

;)

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
"New incarnation of the band" - who the hell is in that???

Omega
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Why is reddit so complicated to use?? I don't even know if my q was submitted or not. Really not user friendly. Ugh.

somewhat_
12-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Maybe I'm a little biased, but I believe the answer to my question is by far the most exciting one so far. :D

tony.parente
12-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Less touring answers, more music related.
I wanna know about the fragile re-issue(NVM It's possible.) , unreleased HM tracks, the Everything video, any greatest hits news etc.

LithoChasm
12-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Why is reddit so complicated to use?? I don't even know if my q was submitted or not. Really not user friendly. Ugh.

After you hit reply it should take you back to the thread with your comment at the top of all the others. If you then refresh again it will get pushed down with the newer questions and the most upvoted quesitons on top.

cahernandez
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I didn't know what the moire effect was, at first I thought it was a spelling mistake by Trent ("more" instead of "moire") but then I googled it...Trent's a smart guy.

Scarlet Siren
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Reddit confuses the fuck out of me, but I gave it a shot...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cduf8rr

maryelle
12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Sometimes his humor is not immediately obvious.

OK you know what Trent really needs? Someone who can type as he talks and so can post more answers faster.

/maryelle 95wpm

Digital Twilight
12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
There must be a better format than Reddit for this type of thing. It's not the easiest thing to navigate.

Mr.Metheus
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Your questions were probably submitted just fine. Reddit uses a voting system, so questions/comments that are upvoted a lot move to the top while those that are downvoted or ignored stay down at the bottom and might currently be hidden from your view. At the bottom there is a "load more comments" link, click that if you really want to find your question. Unfortunately AMAs from celebrities get so big that lots of great questions end up buried and never really seen by anyone.

icecream
12-05-2013, 02:40 PM
He pretty much answered this in the Hesitation Marks iTunes deluxe edition bonus track where he talks about the process of the album. He mentions the details of the rules behind The Slip being that nothing was tuned to perfection, etc. Check it out.
Thanks! had no idea, I'll take a listen

OSLIN
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Mine to Trent, mine to.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufnk3?context=3 (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufnk3?context=3)

gorast
12-05-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufjxh?context=3

The zingers keep coming in every AMA he does. I love Trent.

ManOfAtom
12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I didn't know what the moire effect was, at first I thought it was a spelling mistake by Trent ("more" instead of "moire") but then I googled it...Trent's a smart guy.

Im midly surprised it wasn't though about. You can see he effect if you walk past tight wire fences.

it crops up on the video a little as well, I've just spotted it on the wides on Hand That Feeds.

OSLIN
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Great question and response!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufuwl?context=3 (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufuwl?context=3)

icklekitty
12-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Boooooooo!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufuwl?context=3

slave2thewage
12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Upvote mine. Quick!
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cduflbf

Scarlet Siren
12-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Mine to Trent, mine to.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufnk3?context=3 (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufnk3?context=3)

THAT was an excellent question! Great answer too!

maryelle
Well thanks to my question, I have spread the TDS Live love to a random emailer to my reddit account. That's my good deed for the day.

AlanMorlock
"With the expanded lineup of Pino and the backup singers, I started reworking some older material at rehearsals and The Fragile became the most fertile place to pull from, for whatever reason (which is currently my favorite NIN album)."

Interesting.

Omega
12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
There must be a better format than Reddit for this type of thing. It's not the easiest thing to navigate.

It completely sucks. This is 2013..but I feel like I am in the 80's with this crap.

doucette
12-05-2013, 02:58 PM
"We made a video for Everything with Shynola. I love those dudes, but for whatever reason it just didn't turn out that great and I shelved it. This is not an uncommon occurrence in my world."

and thus, an era of speculation throughout ETS comes to a close.

Ash512
12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Back to a 4 piece I see… Interesting.

somewhat_
12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
nevermind - horrible brain fart

slave2thewage
"ir + ac + rf + tr"

no. This is not happening.

tony.parente
Who is RF?

Robin Motherfucker Fink.

Omega
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Your questions were probably submitted just fine. Reddit uses a voting system, so questions/comments that are upvoted a lot move to the top while those that are downvoted or ignored stay down at the bottom and might currently be hidden from your view. At the bottom there is a "load more comments" link, click that if you really want to find your question. Unfortunately AMAs from celebrities get so big that lots of great questions end up buried and never really seen by anyone.

Oh, how lame. What is with voting systems? Some of us aren't in high school anymore. Thanks for the clarification. What a crappy format, all around really. Surprised this format was chosen.

scorpiusdiamond
So my question about Europe got asked already, I just down voted myself.
I asked about favourite bands and a reworking of Nothing Records instead.

maryelle
Interesting - no PP or JE. I'm surprised he went back to a four-piece. Huh.

Wait a sec. Who's on bass?

And good lord reddit's interface sucks. Who designed that - geocities' rejects?

Ash512
It completely sucks. This is 2013..but I feel like I am in the 80's with this crap.

I just refresh this page : http://www.reddit.com/user/trent-reznor

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Hahaha! :D http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdufjxh?context=3

m15a
12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Robin Motherfucker Fink.
or Randall Flagg. could be.

scorpiusdiamond
12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Really disappointed in the fact the lineup got cut back, especially now with no dedicated bassist... What?

OSLIN
12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
My comment is under there somewhere. I'm hoping it comes true.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdug6qf?context=3 (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdug6qf?context=3)

ManBurning
12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Holy shit... 4 piece... i'm shocked. Is that gonna be enough musicians? What happened to Josh? Did he get bored? Did Maynard beg and beg him to come to his 50th Birthday bash? Maynard probably held a gun to his head and said "you miss my 50th Bday bash and you're never working for me again"

DigitalChaos
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
ETS cannot Internet ITT

Omega
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I just refresh this page : http://www.reddit.com/user/trent-reznor

Ya, I did that. He should do a Q&A on here or something...reddit just sucks. How the heck do questions get voted on, by others who are commenting? Ugh, enough with the like/not like FB bullcrap.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Seems like its over. :(

sweeterthan
Trent said somewhere (?) the next live endeavor would be more electronic focused. I'm guessing like the festival version of "Copy of A". So maybe the others guys aren't needed?

I love over that he said the fragile is his favorite. I don't even know why.

gorast
No Josh Eustis?

​What's the fucking point then?

ryanmcfly
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM
They did a four piece a few years ago and it worked quite well. Pretty sure Trent said in an interview recently that it was going to be more electronic in nature.

LOVEANDZOMBIES
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Holy shit... 4 piece... i'm shocked. Is that gonna be enough musicians? What happened to Josh? Did he get bored? Did Maynard beg and beg him to come to his 50th Birthday bash? Maynard probably held a gun to his head and said "you miss my 50th Bday bash and you're never working for me again"

You know, after standing in front of Josh both night in Vegas, he really seemed to be going through the motions. He did great, but I got a sense that he's just doing his job.

simonn
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
About the new line up - based on this year, it'll go between a three piece and six piece between new and the next bunch of shows...does make me think of the possibility of more soundtrack stuff being played with potentially four keyboards at any one time...

screwdriver
12-05-2013, 03:12 PM
You know, after standing in front of Josh both night in Vegas, he really seemed to be going through the motions. He did great, but I got a sense that he's just doing his job.

I don't think there was terribly much for him to do

slave2thewage
I wouldn't blame Josh for leaving after being shoved to the sidelines at the last minute.

Digital Twilight
Back to a 4 piece I see… Interesting.

At least right now. It's possible that may change before the Aus/Euro tours.

skullboy0
12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Interesting - no PP or JE. I'm surprised he went back to a four-piece. Huh.

Wait a sec. Who's on bass?

And good lord reddit's interface sucks. Who designed that - geocities' rejects?

Alessandro played bass for the HTDA tour. I'm not saying he's playing bass full-time, but if there's a song Trent feels needs real bass Alessandro could possibly play it.

Omega
12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't have wasted my time setting up a reddit account if I knew it was going to be that lame in format. LOL, I am bitter!

Anyway, Fragile is his fave album atm, good taste:D.

ManBurning
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM

The sad thing is, I got the same vibe from him for most of the tour. Maybe that's just how he looks... I mean Pino didn't exactly rock the fuck out. But the look on Josh's face half the time made it look like he'd rather be anywhere else. The only time I ever saw the guy smile was in that Tension production video where Trent said "we're gonna shake things up, sorry for the extra hard work, but it'll be worth it" Josh has this weird grin on his face. That was the happiest I'd seen him all tour.

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Is that the first time he's linked directly to RITC?

SarahConnor
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
anybody tune in to the AMA?

gorast
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
The sad thing is, I got the same vibe from him for most of the tour. Maybe that's just how he looks... I mean Pino didn't exactly rock the fuck out. But the look on Josh's face half the time made it look like he'd rather be anywhere else. The only time I ever saw the guy smile was in that Tension production video where Trent said "we're gonna shake things up, sorry for the extra hard work, but it'll be worth it" Josh has this weird grin on his face. That was the happiest I'd seen him all tour.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's just how Josh looks. Someone mentioned it a couple months ago, I think - he's got "bitchy resting face" going on. He has that face even when he's falling on his ass during Head Like a Hole, it doesn't change ever.

He was like that when Telefon Tel Aviv was active, too, I think.

DigitalChaos
12-05-2013, 03:17 PM
"yea but Josh is hot"

SarahConnor
How was he shoved to the sidelines?

billpulsipher
Backup singers are gone...thank fucking god...all you people who love them so much can go check out sting or don henley.....what sucks is the European tour sounds like it will be fucking sick and there wont be any pro shot video footage (no festivals/streams)

virushopper
12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
LOL:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdugqvw?context=3

tony.parente
12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Backup singers are gone...thank fucking god...all you people who love them so much can go check out sting or don henley.....what sucks is the European tour sounds like it will be fucking sick and there wont be any pro shot video footage (no festivals/streams)

I wasn't a huge fan of them but that was awful aggressive.

scorpiusdiamond
12-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Trent just linked to RITC. Awesome.

slave2thewage
12-05-2013, 03:22 PM
How was he shoved to the sidelines?
Late August 2013: up front playing arguably the lead instrument in Piggy. A month later, he's standing at the back with a shaker. That's a hell of a downgrade.

m15a
12-05-2013, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't have wasted my time setting up a reddit account if I knew it was going to be that lame in format. LOL, I am bitter!

you signed up for a reddit account but didn't expect this be in the standard reddit format? :rolleyes:

F-JD
12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
An Amex Unstaged with James Franco, sad thing that didn't happen.

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Late August 2013: up front playing arguably the lead instrument in Piggy. A month later, he's standing at the back with a shaker. That's a hell of a downgrade.

But the sax solo! The sax solo.. :(

sweeterthan
12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
An Amex Unstaged with James Franco, sad thing that didn't happen.
Yeah, so disappointing. Sounds like it could've been cool.

Omega
12-05-2013, 03:32 PM
you signed up for a reddit account but didn't expect this be in the standard reddit format? :rolleyes:

Never used reddit before..didn't really know what it was all about when I signed up..was hoping it would be easier to figure out than it was.

That other guy
12-05-2013, 03:40 PM
To many bullshit questions , killed off the smart ones , but we got some news NA 2014....

p_rez17
12-05-2013, 03:40 PM
My Everything question was answered! WOOT!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdug515?context=3

AlanMorlock
12-05-2013, 03:44 PM

I don't know but it was awesome that he did.

icecream
12-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Good questions! Sad Josh left the band. I didn't expect Pino and the singers to stick around, but I didn't see Josh leaving. Was happy to see he plans on touring N.A again in 2014. The amount of dedication and work ethic this guy has to putting on the best show he can while keeping it interesting for the fans and the band amazes me. Makes me happy to be a NIN fan that he will change up his show every leg just because he doesn't want it to be stale for the fans!

sheepdean
12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Reddit is an awful platform for everything

LexTron6K
12-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Ya, I did that. He should do a Q&A on here or something...reddit just sucks. How the heck do questions get voted on, by others who are commenting? Ugh, enough with the like/not like FB bullcrap.

The amount of "get off my porch" comments in here is astounding. I suppose Trent could've done a QA on Myspace, but come on, this is 20GD13.

DigitalChaos
12-05-2013, 03:53 PM
fuck that, reddit is awesome. democracy in action!

kenthebear
12-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Reddit is an awful platform for everything

it's pretty good for paedophile apologists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Brutsch)

gorast
12-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Though this is veering everything further off-topic, I've found that the best way to use Reddit is to limit yourself to a very specific sect of it, usually things that don't involve people (like tech or gaming subreddits).

doucette
12-05-2013, 04:21 PM
kinda bummed my question didn't get a response. i've always wanted to know what kind of home audio setup trent has, considering he's such an audiophile, haha.

sick among the pure
12-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Damn, it was still going on my way home, but when I posted he edited the OP and left. Maybe next time.

Wolfkiller
12-05-2013, 04:35 PM
He never wants to answer my Doom 3/b-sides + demo etc release question. :(

nxtort
12-05-2013, 04:40 PM
He never wants to answer my Doom 3/b-sides + demo etc release question. :(

What more needs to be said? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3

Early in Doom 3's development, Trent Reznor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Reznor) of the band Nine Inch Nails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Inch_Nails), a fan of the Doom games,[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#cite_note-Trent-40) was set to compose the music and sound effects to Doom 3. However, due to "time, money and bad management",[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#cite_note-Trent-40) none of Trent Reznor's sound effects or music made the final product. Eventually, Nine Inch Nails' former drummer, Chris Vrenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Vrenna), composed and performed the game's theme song

doucette
12-05-2013, 04:44 PM
i think AMA's would work better if you submitted your questions a few hours prior to it starting. all those interested could view the questions, vote for what they wanna see answered, and downvote others. after a certain number of downvotes, questions would be removed (thus avoiding ANOTHER person asking about tapeworm). whatever's left is what the community wants to hear, rather than people trying to keep track of questions to upvote as they're pouring in, during a window as short as an hour.

Wolfkiller
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM
How bout "Hey man, do you ever plan on releasing that music in some form?"
The song used in the Legacy Of Doom video that features Trent sounds very NINish to me.

What more needs to be said? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3

Early in Doom 3's development, Trent Reznor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Reznor) of the band Nine Inch Nails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Inch_Nails), a fan of the Doom games,[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#cite_note-Trent-40) was set to compose the music and sound effects to Doom 3. However, due to "time, money and bad management",[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#cite_note-Trent-40) none of Trent Reznor's sound effects or music made the final product. Eventually, Nine Inch Nails' former drummer, Chris Vrenna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Vrenna), composed and performed the game's theme song

Highly Psychological
12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
When did he say they were going back to a 4 piece band? Or that Josh was leaving?

gorast
12-05-2013, 05:14 PM
When did he say they were going back to a 4 piece band? Or that Josh was leaving?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/cdug6qf?context=3 It's implied in how he answers "Who's in the band now?", because he only names himself, Alessandro, Robin, and Ilan.

Ryan
12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Is there an entire transcript anywhere?

hellabryanstyle
12-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Is there an entire transcript anywhere?

Scrolling through the thread for his replies isn't so bad. They're highlighted. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1s6mi5/im_trent_reznor_of_nine_inch_nails_ask_me_anything/

billpulsipher
12-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Does he even post on the official NIN forums anymore like he used to???

gorast
12-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Does he even post on the official NIN forums anymore like he used to???

Does anyone?

(No, he doesn't. Not for a couple years at least.)

gorny540
12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I really like Josh and sad he's gone, he'd be even more valuable now without Pino. Lets be honest though, on Tension, besides the sax solo and would anyone of been able to tell any difference whether or not he was on stage?

botley
12-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I really like Josh and sad he's gone, he'd be even more valuable now without Pino. Lets be honest though, on Tension, besides the sax solo and would anyone of been able to tell any difference whether or not he was on stage?
Well, I would, but that's because I listen for his guitar and synth parts (not to mention the badass erhu on "Disappointed").

hellabryanstyle
12-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Is everyone commenting on the new band referring to his 'AC +IR +RF +TR' post? I think you're all being a little bit presumptuous to assume that he means 'that's everyone'. That might just be everyone confirmed thus far.

gorast
12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Is everyone commenting on the new band referring to his 'AC +IR +RF +TR' post? I think you're all being a little bit presumptuous to assume that he means 'that's everyone'. That might just be everyone confirmed thus far.

Presumptuous? On Echoing the Sound?

​Never.

rampface
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
How is that presumptuous? Trent didn't mention Josh so I think it's safe to assume he's out.

Maybe he had prior commitments? Maybe Trent is doing something radically different? Also he said he lost money on this leg of the tour and he has to pay his musicians to travel overseas so maybe he scaled back. Shipping costs for electronic equipment is a hell of a lot easier as well versus a full rock band setup. I do think many people are being presumptuous assuming that this decision was made due to his performance though.

m15a
12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Is everyone commenting on the new band referring to his 'AC +IR +RF +TR' post?

assuming that's not a rhetorical question, yes, that's what people are referring to. i think it's a strong indication that the other current members won't be in (at least based on the present plans), but trent could definitely be looking to add someone else. or he could have someone else already signed up but didn't want to say yet.

hellabryanstyle
12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
How is that presumptuous? Trent didn't mention Josh so I think it's safe to assume he's out.

Maybe he had prior commitments? Maybe Trent is doing something radically different? Also he said he lost money on this leg of the tour and he has to pay his musicians to travel overseas so maybe he scaled back. Shipping costs for electronic equipment is a hell of a lot easier as well versus a full rock band setup. I do think many people are being presumptuous assuming that this decision was made due to his performance though.

No I agree that that definitely infers that Josh is out (at least at this exact moment in time, things change). I was mostly referring to the people commenting that his comment cements that that is the final lineup and the band is back to a four-piece. I would be less surprised than not if at least one other person was added to the lineup, new or not.

hellabryanstyle
12-05-2013, 09:06 PM
assuming that's not a rhetorical question, yes, that's what people are referring to. i think it's a strong indication that the other current members won't be in (at least based on the present plans), but trent could definitely be looking to add someone else. or he could have someone else already signed up but didn't want to say yet.

It wasn't rhetorical, I wasn't sure if I'd missed a more specific post than that one. But yes, what you're saying here is exactly what I was getting at.

billpulsipher
12-05-2013, 09:12 PM
paging Danny Lohner

sick among the pure
12-05-2013, 10:29 PM
paging Danny Lohner
Unfortunately when Trent had to find a last minute bassist for this years tours, people asked Danny and he said he wasn't going to be touring with NIN again. I would love it, but seriously doubt he will re-join as a touring entity.

Omega
12-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Great questions and great answers.

SassmouthKatie
12-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Such great answers. His sarcasm is right up my alley.

rampface
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I think this next leg will go for the HTDA setup. Ilan plays many instruments. Maybe he's not playing live drums for these shows. They will use beats instead and switch between instruments. Personally, I would love to see this! Many of the Hesitation Marks songs would work with this arrangement as well as Year Zero stuff and Pretty Hate Machine. If the festival shows focused on the rock band tracks, Tension arena tour was HM/The Fragile, this would keep things fresh by bringing out more Year Zero!

fillow
12-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm taking a break here at rehearsals and only have about an hour to answer questions.
EDIT: Back to rehearsing. Thanks everyone! I'll do this again down the road.

I think that pretty much confirms that no one will get added to the lineup.
I hope I'm wrong tho.

xolotl
12-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I hope I'm wrong tho.

Still, let's not forget our extremely recent NIN history, wherein three weeks before a major nationwide arena tour, Trent went and totally changed the direction of the band. :)

I'll personally be excited for whatever, and I won't be surprised if it does end up just being a four-piece, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we end up with, like, twenty opera singers or something on stage, by the time next spring rolls around.

eversonpoe
12-06-2013, 01:17 AM
it makes me so sad to hear that josh isn't staying in the band...when i originally heard the news he had joined the band i was fucking ECSTATIC, and given his post on the TTA website ("I've recently joined Nine Inch Nails as a performer and will be playing with them, hopefully, forever."), i was hoping he'd stick around for a while. :(

WorzelG
12-06-2013, 02:14 AM
^^maybe he'll be back for Europe since every touring cycle is supposed to be different? Next one is electronic which , seeing as it's a qotsa joint headliner makes sense to differentiate themselves from the rock band format to make the whole thing more interesting

Omega
12-06-2013, 02:38 AM
I don't care how NIN does it next year..I just wanna be at a show. I don't care if he's singing along with Carrie Underwood..I'll still go!!!!:D.

oldschool
12-06-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm taking a break here at rehearsals and only have about an hour to answer questions.
EDIT: Back to rehearsing. Thanks everyone! I'll do this again down the road.

I hope I'm wrong tho.

Not necessarily. Rehearsing doesn't have to mean nearing a final product. They have quite a ways to go before the next tour kicks up. They have time to mess around. "Rehersals" could also include auditions at this state.

Sad to see Josh go, if that's the case. I have a gut feeling Autolux's Eugene Goreshter will join this band someday. Autolux supposedly are almost done with their third album, but who knows how active they'll be in 2014 if Greg Edwards gets wrapped up with Failure.

icecream
12-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Josh probably got busy with the new Telefon Tel Aviv and Puscifer. Maybe Robin will play bass on the new tour? MOTP or Wish can be played without bass, with TR and RF playing guitar on those. Just a thought.

fillow
12-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Josh probably got busy with the new Telefon Tel Aviv and Puscifer. Maybe Robin will play bass on the new tour? MOTP or Wish can be played without bass, with TR and RF playing guitar on those. Just a thought.
There are only about a dozen or a little more pre-WT songs that always had bass guitar. Everything else can be played (and was played live) without it at some point.
After WT, it gets tricky. I know for sure that AC played bass on a few songs during WT tour while JW played guitar. Maybe we'll see more of that.
Not mentioning TR himself playing bass of course.

Volband
12-06-2013, 06:22 AM
There are only about a dozen or a little more pre-WT songs that always had bass guitar. Everything else can be played (and was played live) without it at some point.
After WT, it gets tricky. I know for sure that AC played bass on a few songs during WT tour while JW played guitar. Maybe we'll see more of that.
Not mentioning TR himself playing bass of course.

What? Is that even a thing?

Ash512
12-06-2013, 06:38 AM
I think so, but I know the band actually uses RITC as a tool to rewatch, review and adjust their own performances during tours. Or so did they during the festival tour anyway.

slave2thewage
12-06-2013, 07:02 AM
What? Is that even a thing?
He did during Fragility, anyway. I haven't seen him play one live since.

Iran_Ed
12-06-2013, 07:07 AM

http://vimeo.com/9055919

fillow
12-06-2013, 07:20 AM
this, and one of Saul Williams songs at Voodoo '05 (I think African Student Movement)

nooneimportant
12-06-2013, 07:28 AM

I believe on Just Like You Imagined and The Beautiful People. Might be missing others.

tony.parente
12-06-2013, 07:37 AM

A little off topic, but I forgot about how Peter completely ruined Reptile. Kind of sad I had to see that again.

theimage13
12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Great retarded questions and great answers.

OMG TRENT I MET YOU I'M AWESOME THANKS 4 NOT BEING A DOUCHEBAG!

Hey Trent! Have you heard of Wikipedia? It tells you all the irrelevant music projects an artist has been in! I know it exists! Witty reference to a band that no one cares about!!!

TRENT! I was at one of your concerts!!!! Remember!?!??!

These are the "questions" he actually replied to?

*sigh*

gorast
12-06-2013, 11:35 AM
^^maybe he'll be back for Europe since every touring cycle is supposed to be different? Next one is electronic which , seeing as it's a qotsa joint headliner makes sense to differentiate themselves from the rock band format to make the whole thing more interesting

I thought about this possibility as well, since Trent has been making a point of saying the lineup will be different for every leg of the tour. A four-piece with no bassist makes sense for an electronic-focused set, and it's not like a ton of NIN songs have real basslines anyway.

Or maybe I just really like Josh and hope he comes back at some point.

WorzelG
12-06-2013, 11:35 AM
OMG TRENT I MET YOU I'M AWESOME THANKS 4 NOT BEING A DOUCHEBAG!

Hey Trent! Have you heard of Wikipedia? It tells you all the irrelevant music projects an artist has been in! I know it exists! Witty reference to a band that no one cares about!!!

TRENT! I was at one of your concerts!!!! Remember!?!??!

*sigh*
I preferred the format of Digg Dialog where questions are upvoted and the interviewee is forced to answer the most popular questions, is that still going?

xolotl
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Well, you know... Those plus twelve other questions which elicited some interesting and informative answers. It's not like he only responded to frivolity. I think anyone who's been following Trent's online presence should be aware that he enjoys joking around at times.

m15a
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't care how NIN does it next year..I just wanna be at a show. I don't care if he's singing along with Carrie Underwood..I'll still go!!!!:D.

Trent Reznor as the Captain!!1 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

HurtinMinorKey
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I preferred the format of Digg Dialog where questions are upvoted and the interviewee is forced to answer the most popular questions, is that still going?

I really like the concept, but Trent would never do an interview where he was forced to answer certain questions. He likes to play it pretty conservative, as do most.

doucette
12-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I really like the concept, but Trent would never do an interview where he was forced to answer certain questions. He likes to play it pretty conservative, as do most.

keep in mind, he's done an interview for digg dialog before, following this exact format.

screwdriver
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
keep in mind, he's done an interview for digg dialog before, following this exact format.

and the questions for that were pretty crap too

scorpiusdiamond
12-07-2013, 08:40 AM
The last two AMAs were much better, the HTDA one was great.
He also did a digg dialog style interview exclusive to the nin.com/ETS sites a while ago, it was basically a skype call with a fan, that was pretty good.

utterben
12-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's just how Josh looks. Someone mentioned it a couple months ago, I think - he's got "bitchy resting face" going on. He has that face even when he's falling on his ass during Head Like a Hole, it doesn't change ever.

He was like that when Telefon Tel Aviv was active, too, I think.

He does just seem like a "solemn chap". Although, in the official Tension footage for The Hand That Feeds, he's rocking out pretty good. And he's gone to the effort to choose a Gibson Explorer. Not your every day guitar, or typical NIN guitar. I suppose maybe because he's been connected to NIN for so long, playing on-stage is no big deal for him. I'm sure as hell going to miss him. I'd turn gay for that guy.

HurtinMinorKey
12-07-2013, 09:49 AM

That was Trent before family, right? I think he plays it a lot closer to the vest now.

Volband
12-07-2013, 12:07 PM
He does just seem like a "solemn chap". Although, in the official Tension footage for The Hand That Feeds, he's rocking out pretty good. And he's gone to the effort to choose a Gibson Explorer. Not your every day guitar, or typical NIN guitar. I suppose maybe because he's been connected to NIN for so long, playing on-stage is no big deal for him. I'm sure as hell going to miss him. I'd turn gay for that guy.
Only if he still had his Fragility look.

Star
12-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Is there a transcript or link to read this? If it is posted in the thread my apologies but I don't have time to read through it. Thanks.

Akuratyde
12-07-2013, 05:32 PM

I agree, until we hear more from either party we really have no idea why Josh is no longer with the band. Hell, maybe Josh played some new Telefon Tel Aviv material for Trent and Trent was like, "This is the best music you've ever written, after the North American tour you should really take a break and focus on getting another album released." He's been pretty supportive of band member's projects in the past (excluding NearLY) and considering TTA was around long before Josh even joined NIN this seems plausible at the very least. Don't forget that Alessandro and Robin both left the band and rejoined later.

PhoenixML
12-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Josh is with Puscifer next year.

sheepdean
12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Josh is with Puscifer next year.
Where did ya see that?

eversonpoe
12-09-2013, 02:25 AM

Only if he still had his Fragility look.

he was referring to josh, not trent. so...that doesn't make any sense.

Volband
12-09-2013, 04:42 AM
he was referring to josh, not trent. so...that doesn't make any sense.

Aaahh didn't see that. I'm way too obsessed with Fragility Trent.

snaapz
12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Is there a transcript or link to read this? If it is posted in the thread my apologies but I don't have time to read through it. Thanks.

I think reddit is fucking messy.

I'm also upset because when HTDA did a chat thing on reddit they didn't answer my question. I had the worlds best possible question ever. (sarcastic)

PhoenixML
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Where did ya see that?

I'm sorry, I should have said : "Josh is in Puscifer, and given that Puscifer will tour (at least of couple dates) next year, I'm assuming Josh will be there. Since he's not schedule to play with NIN, it's probably fair to think he already had plans for 2014."

Star
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM

I think reddit is fucking messy.

I'm also upset because when HTDA did a chat thing on reddit they didn't answer my question. I had the worlds best possible question ever. (sarcastic)

Thank you!!

allegro
12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Wow, three screens in front of each other, of COURSE that's gonna cause a moiré. But with all the other details, I get it would be easy for that detail to be overlooked.

(Edit: Maybe only us old-school graphic arts people who used to use halftone screens pre-computer age would automatically know this stuff. We used to do this for fun with halftone screens on a light table (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Moire02.gif/160px-Moire02.gif))

skullboy0
12-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow, three screens in front of each other, of COURSE that's gonna cause a moiré. But with all the other details, I get it would be easy for that detail to be overlooked.

Yeah, when I read that I didn't understand why it didn't happen with the LITS setup. I guess for some reason it must not have been so noticable with the LITS rig.

allegro
12-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah, when I read that I didn't understand why it didn't happen with the LITS setup. I guess for some reason it must not have been so noticable with the LITS rig.
Were there screens in front of each other with the LITS rig?

skullboy0
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Were there screens in front of each other with the LITS rig?

Wasn't it pretty much the same setup? One at the back of the stage, one in the middle, & one in the front.

allegro
12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing the difference is that during LITS they didn't try to use those 3 screens to display a single seamless image, they split it up and had different things on each layer. I assume that in Tension they wanted to use it so that you had a single image/video seamlessly laid across all the layers, and since it didn't look 100% amazing they cut it.
But even if you had three different images, you'd still risk a moiré pattern if the screens were all "on" and in front of each other. Maybe the images weren't precise so any moiré wouldn't affect the overall visual affect.

sick among the pure
12-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Yeah, any moire in static wouldn't be obvious. I know all about the pain of moire ruining your life, and feel for them having to basically scrap some original ideas. I'm just kinda surprised that Rob didn't think of that, not blaming him, just surprised, being the art and technical guy he is.

packetslave
12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
But even if you had three different images, you'd still risk a moiré pattern if the screens were all "on" and in front of each other. Maybe the images weren't precise so any moiré wouldn't affect the overall visual affect.

Rob actually talked about that in an interview. I thought it was one of the VEVO behind-the-scenes ones, but I can't find it now. He said they originally planned to do more video content, but the moire effects between the screens made it look crappy.

sheepdean
12-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised - or opposed - to Atticus or Rob becoming the obligatory 5th member of the NIN touring lineup. Both would make sense in different capacities and would bring something to the table.
Atticus not joining NIN live is the greatest tragedy of our time

HurtinMinorKey
12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Atticus not joining NIN live is the greatest tragedy of our time

Not really. It's sort of beneath him at this point. I bet he would have the job if he really wanted it.

<edit>Nice facepalms. Let's see.. getting paid by the hour to work on a hectic tour, or continuing to work in film. Kind of a no-brainer.

AlanMorlock
12-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Seems like it's actually a matter of the demands and ambition being too much for performers rather than the audience.

theimage13
12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Not really. It's sort of beneath him at this point. I bet he would have the job if he really wanted it.

<edit>Nice facepalms. Let's see.. getting paid by the hour to work on a hectic tour, or continuing to work in film. Kind of a no-brainer.

You don't get paid by the hour on tour.

Also: work long days pulling music out of thin air and pray that the client and audience like it and you continue to get more work, or spend two hours a day playing something that thousands of people are eager to hear, then spend the rest of your time seeing the world on someone else's money?

You're right, it is a no-brainer.

HurtinMinorKey
12-20-2013, 05:22 PM
You don't get paid by the hour on tour.

Also: work long days pulling music out of thin air and pray that the client and audience like it and you continue to get more work, or spend two hours a day playing something that thousands of people are eager to hear, then spend the rest of your time seeing the world on someone else's money?

You're right, it is a no-brainer.

You don't know what you are talking about. The pay on tour for sidemen is notoriously shite, why do you think the lineup keeps changing? When Adrian Belew says "it didn't work" , he is saying "Trent wasn't willing to pay me enough". On the other hand, Hollywood is highly unionized, and you can make good money for soundtracks, especially if you have an Oscar already.

Furthermore, I guess we differ in our opinion about what work is more rewarding. I'd rather spend my days being creative than doing the work of an MP3 player (mechanically playing someone else's tunes). But your notion of a tour being an all expense, paid vacation for sidemen is laughable.

screwdriver
12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm going to put out that Atticus doesn't have tremendous stage presence. I have nothing but respect for the guy, but he seems like a studio guy and not a live guy. His skillset is not really geared towards live performance either.

Seeing him in HTDA reinforced that -- even when Allessandro and him were standing right next to each other doing the same sort of stuff, Allessandro had way more presence. And that was on the comparably tame HTDA stuff.

Again, I got nothing but respect for Atticus -- I think the 12 Rounds stuff is still classic (WHERE'S THE THIRD ALBUM BTW), but I'm just not sure he's the best live addition to the band

TheRealNs1
12-20-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm going to put out that Atticus doesn't have tremendous stage presence. I have nothing but respect for the guy, but he seems like a studio guy and not a live guy. His skillset is not really geared towards live performance either.

Seeing him in HTDA reinforced that -- even when Allessandro and him were standing right next to each other doing the same sort of stuff, Allessandro had way more presence. And that was on the comparably tame HTDA stuff.

Again, I got nothing but respect for Atticus -- I think the 12 Rounds stuff is still classic (WHERE'S THE THIRD ALBUM BTW), but I'm just not sure he's the best live addition to the band

Pino has shite for stage presence too, but I'm sure I'm about to get 50 facepalms for this post.

screwdriver
12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Pino has shite for stage presence too, but I'm sure I'm about to get 50 facepalms for this post.

I'm not gonna face palm you, though I strongly disagree.

But even if I thought you were right, if Atticus had even half the technical mastery of an instrument in a live setting that Pino had, yeah, sure, put him up there. But that's not where Atticus's (considerable) chops are.

HurtinMinorKey
12-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm not gonna face palm you, though I strongly disagree.

But even if I thought you were right, if Atticus had even half the technical mastery of an instrument in a live setting that Pino had, yeah, sure, put him up there. But that's not where Atticus's (considerable) chops are.

Exactly, Pino is a hired gun. Atticus is a producer.

sheepdean
12-21-2013, 04:25 AM
I'll fight all of ya

theimage13
12-21-2013, 01:55 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. The pay on tour for sidemen is notoriously shite, why do you think the lineup keeps changing? When Adrian Belew says "it didn't work" , he is saying "Trent wasn't willing to pay me enough". On the other hand, Hollywood is highly unionized, and you can make good money for soundtracks, especially if you have an Oscar already.

Furthermore, I guess we differ in our opinion about what work is more rewarding. I'd rather spend my days being creative than doing the work of an MP3 player (mechanically playing someone else's tunes). But your notion of a tour being an all expense, paid vacation for sidemen is laughable.

I'm a roadie. I climb off the bus at 7:00, work until the band comes in for soundcheck, try to take a nap on a case underneath a stage, then work again until 2:00 the next morning, at which point I shower in some hockey team's grungy facilities, climb on a bus for a couple hours, then wake up somewhere else and do it again. I think this qualifies as "knowing what I'm talking about". And many of us do it for just over (or sometimes under) minimum wage, if you look at it by the number of hours you're on the job instead of your overall paycheck. So relatively speaking, hired touring musicians have it exceedingly easy. Can you cite some examples of the "shite" pay that a musician with an A-list arena tour makes?

As far as creativity vs. being a "human MP3 player" - there's so much more to live performance that just regurgitating notes. If that's all that performing is, then what's "stage presence"? Why are there entire threads devoted to specific "human MP3 players" that Trent has hired? I get the sentiment though - some people are more artistically minded and creating is more fun than performing. For others, it can be the opposite. I obviously can't speak for anyone else's sentiment, so I can't and won't speculate whether anyone is better suited for one scenario versus the other.

theimage13
01-01-2014, 01:46 PM
You sleep on a case underneath the stage?

Why not just sleep on the bus, bro?

Because when something blows up in the middle of the show and you have to fix it or swap over to a spare, your bosses (aka your production crew chief and...you know...the band) don't like it when you're outside the building and a good couple minutes away from the problem, instead of right there and ready to take care of it like a professional.

nineismine
01-01-2014, 11:15 PM
I guess its just two different wave lengths but I don't care about his stage presence. I want to hear live renditions that dont just sound good but kick ass...