PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing NIN - Moments

Pages : [1] 2

Bookmark
07-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Considering the current grumbling about setlists and since topics here mostly deal with positive NIN - connotations, attidudes, favorites etc. I would really like to know what was your most disappointing moment regarding NIN since you became a fan. Talk about setlists, concerts, songs and everything what springs to your mind when you think about it.

Personally i've to say that none of mine were really disappointing - at least when i am thinking about it now. If something comes to my mind, i would edit.

fillow
07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
It's disappointing that you didn't use any of these threads
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3250-NIN-Confessions
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2130-Controversial-Nine-Inch-Nails-opinions

katara
07-25-2014, 11:34 AM
As soon as NIN took the stage in the London O2 this year, some fucking arsehole decided to strangle some guy in order to take his place (on the rail). Just witnessing that act of selfish violence was almost enough to spoil my entire evening.

I guess this isn't really a complaint about NIN, though.

tony.parente
07-25-2014, 11:47 AM
This entire tour.

implanted_microchip
07-25-2014, 01:05 PM
As soon as NIN took the stage in the London O2 this year, some fucking arsehole decided to strangle some guy in order to take his place (on the rail). Just witnessing that act of selfish violence was almost enough to spoil my entire evening.

I guess this isn't really a complaint about NIN, though.

I really don't understand how so many people are so shitty about that sort of thing. I totally admire and respect fans who will wait outside hours early, rush in and time everything right and buy the super-expensive ticket packages to get as close as possible, that's great, and they have totally earned being that close, but I don't see how people can show up and think that they just deserve that regardless and are willing to hurt people for it.

Sarah K
07-25-2014, 01:07 PM
When he didn't bring the two lovely ladies back. :(

SM Rollinger
07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Im just going to save the haters the trouble and say what their all thinking when they clicked on this thread...

"Everything that Trent has put out since 1994 has been a disappointment"

There ya go. I think I might start a Tool one now too, so I can read "how bad 10,000 days was" or "maynard is a bitch" comments.

Airbornefeline
07-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Pretty much every aspect of the Tension tour.

tony.parente
07-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Pretty much every aspect of the Tension tour.

I was disappointed with the fact that there were backup singers and that the visuals were just a watered down version of LITS, but I really enjoyed the show and the setlist. I got to see 2 of my favorite tracks (somewhat damaged and burn) and that alone was amazing.

Airbornefeline
07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah I liked seeing songs like Even Deeper , Somewhat damaged, into the void, all the love in the world but overall everything else was just a disappointment especially since it was my first time ever seeing NIN. Pino and that other guy had no stage presence and were boring to look at, skills aside. Backup singers were bad, took away all intensity from the songs. There was absolutely no reason for them to be on the Wretched, might as well have put them on head like a hole as well. I was more impressed with the visuals from watching LITS at home on my computer than Tension live in person. Hell, even the festival streams seemed cooler.

Trias
07-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Hyperpower! into The Beginning of the End.

FernandoDante
07-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Im just going to save the haters the trouble and say what their all thinking when they clicked on this thread...

"Everything that Trent has put out since 1994 has been a disappointment"

There ya go. I think I might start a Tool one now too, so I can read "how bad 10,000 days was" or "maynard is a bitch" comments.
FUCKING WINE MAKER anyway

This sequence of songs kinda killed the middle part of the gig I saw at Lollapalooza Brasil:

Sanctified
Disappointed
All Time Low

Those songs combined make up 18 minutes of music, which I can't help wondering could've been used with some better, older material. I don't think anyone would be displeased if they swapped Disappointed the fuck out and put Reptile, even Terrible Lie in its place. And those 3 songs all sound kinda similar and same-ish in pace when put together like that, all three with Ilan on bass. Not to mention that they came right after Piggy and Find My Way, also far from uptempo songs, though I actually like them.

Also, Somewhat Damaged is my favorite NIN song, and they chose it to open the previous gig.

somethingelse
07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
When my disc 1 Fragile CD finally gave up and died. We shared so many moments together.

icecream
07-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Hearing The Slip

Microwave Jellyfish
07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
The moment it became a recognized fact that we won't hear any Tapeworm stuff, ever.

My friend was sort of disappointed that All Time Low and Methods (his favorite HM songs) were not played in Manchester. I don't share, but understand his pain, whoever says the Tension tour was bad, generally bad, well... I don't agree with that. It had the healthiest combination of "best of" and new material IMO.

gorny540
07-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Seeing the first setlist for this NIN/SG tour for sure

sheepdean
07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
The moment it became a recognized fact that we won't hear any Tapeworm stuff, ever.
Wait you haven't heard Saul Williams' Convict Colony?

tony.parente
07-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Hearing The Slip
I shared that, but time has made it grow on me. The only track I actively don't like is head down. The opposite has happened with hesitation marks, I listened to it nonstop for 2 months trying to like it and it don't work, tried again last week and nothing. The only tracks I enjoy are disappointed and find my way, maybe various methods of escape. The buildup to HM with the artwork and the general feeling was awesome. I think I just set my expectations too high and ultimately that's my fault.

thevoid99
07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Here's something I was disappointed by from NIN. The fact that the deluxe version of The Downward Spiral didn't feature any essays in the liner notes as I really thought it would've made the release much more special.

tony.parente
07-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Here's something I was disappointed by from NIN. The fact that the deluxe version of The Downward Spiral didn't feature any essays in the liner notes as I really thought it would've made the release much more special.
Maybe we'll get a 10th anniversary version of with_teeth with that missing essay.

JessicaSarahS
07-25-2014, 11:24 PM
When he didn't bring the two lovely ladies back. :(

Yep. I was pretty disappointed that they weren't joining this summer. :(

pinata89
07-26-2014, 12:05 AM
When TR decided to abandon all Fragile-era songs at the gig last night in Chicago.

icecream
07-26-2014, 01:44 AM
I shared that, but time has made it grow on me. The only track I actively don't like is head down. The opposite has happened with hesitation marks, I listened to it nonstop for 2 months trying to like it and it don't work, tried again last week and nothing. The only tracks I enjoy are disappointed and find my way, maybe various methods of escape. The buildup to HM with the artwork and the general feeling was awesome. I think I just set my expectations too high and ultimately that's my fault.
The only songs I like from The Slip are Lights in the Sky and Discipline. With HM, I still really enjoy it. I'll give it a year and see, but I think I will still like it.

Frydek
07-26-2014, 05:21 AM
This sequence of songs kinda killed the middle part of the gig I saw at Lollapalooza Brasil:

Sanctified
Disappointed
All Time Low

Those songs combined make up 18 minutes of music, which I can't help wondering could've been used with some better, older material. I don't think anyone would be displeased if they swapped Disappointed the fuck out and put Reptile, even Terrible Lie in its place. And those 3 songs all sound kinda similar and same-ish in pace when put together like that, all three with Ilan on bass. Not to mention that they came right after Piggy and Find My Way, also far from uptempo songs, though I actually like them.

These songs are pretty awesome to me, especially the new version of Sanctified. They play a lot of older material already, too much of the same. I was actually very happy TL wasn't played the last couple of times I've seen them.

I get disappointed every time I hear the first notes Wish, MOTP, THTF or HLAH. A NIN gig without any of these would be perfect for me.

dlb
07-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Year Zero... the record as a whole. The ARG was great, but despite my violent heart, vessel and me, I'm not I still have no connection to that record. The remix album didn't help that either. :/

Lerxto
07-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Editing a few songs out (Pilgrimage, Suck, Even Deeper, Sin) when releasing BYIT.
When listening to halo 3, THTF DFA mixes, Me, I'm Not (Olof Dreijer), Copy Of A (Simian Mobile Disco Remix)....

katara
07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
When listening to halo 3
To be fair to Trent, Halo 3 was supposed to be a 3 track single. The actual version was released in the UK and had a pink cover. The shitty US black cover one was a label decision. It's obvious why Trent never wanted it released.

eversonpoe
07-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Pretty much every time the s word came out.

could you elaborate on that?

my disappointing moment came in finding out that my friends who went to the chicago show on thursday got to go backstage (one of them is friends with alessandro's keyboard tech), while i was sitting at home. (i didn't go for a multitude of reasons)

Trains
07-26-2014, 10:15 AM
The moment I saw this photo (http://ppcdn.500px.org/795255/b9d29ef20311602c869642b82b42f14624051c45/5.jpg)...

botley
07-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Opening this thread.

Coming in at #2 is the And All That Could Have Been: Live CD which sounds like garbage compared to the DVD (even in stereo).

Microwave Jellyfish
07-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Wait you haven't heard Saul Williams' Convict Colony?
I have. Never heard of the Tapeworm connection, though. Thanks!

The moment I saw this photo (http://ppcdn.500px.org/795255/b9d29ef20311602c869642b82b42f14624051c45/5.jpg)...
Wait, what's wrong with it? Was it the one that made you realize he's not 6'2" of pure angst?

SarahConnor
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
I lost interest in nin from Things Falling Apart until the Discipline single & Ghosts LP.

Papagolash
07-26-2014, 12:10 PM
When they edited out some amazing songs (Pilgrimage, Suck, Even Deeper, Sin) when releasing BYIT.

YES! I wish they were put on as bonus videos on the Blu-ray. Toss in Pinion intro as well.

My disappointing moment was when Trent associated himself with PETA. I would have been fine if it was another organization, but not PETA those bunch of cuntrags.

Trains
07-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Wait, what's wrong with it? Was it the one that made you realize he's not 6'2" of pure angst?

No, it's the one that made me realize the 'questionable' fringe had been sent into the realms of history. I always liked that fringe.

FernandoDante
07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
These songs are pretty awesome to me, especially the new version of Sanctified. They play a lot of older material already, too much of the same. I was actually very happy TL wasn't played the last couple of times I've seen them.

I get disappointed every time I hear the first notes Wish, MOTP, THTF or HLAH. A NIN gig without any of these would be perfect for me.
I'm willing to guess you live in a region that doesn't spend 9 years without getting a NIN gig...

Star
07-26-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: This current tour that everyone is so disappointed in. Get over it, I am loving all the set lists because I could care less about deep cuts. I have been to so many shows since the beginning of NIN that i have pretty much seen everything I have ever wanted to see at least once but is there a song or two I wold like to see again? Of course but he plays enough of a variety that at least one of my faves is always there, Wish, for example. For the newer fans that haven't been so fortunate, sorry you were born late. If you didn't get to go to shows during the WT era through before the last hiatus that is when a lot of "deep cuts" made the rounds but even back then it wasn't enough for some people. Why not just enjoy the moment. There will come a time when NIN completely stops touring for whatever reason. Then what? You still didn't get to hear the Perfect Drug or whatever you think he should play and then you will be left with all the times you were disappointed at what was really a great show. If you are waiting for deep cuts or anything close then you are just setting yourself up and that is your problem not TR's,

Are there some records or tours I didn't like. Sure but guess what? I didn't spend my money on them. I concentrate on the NIN music I do like and listen to that and thankfully there is enough of that.

I was actually disappointed he took Closer out of the setlist for a while. If I were a casual fan and went to a NIN show where Closer wasn't played, I would be mad. Like it or not that song is the most associated with NIN and is actually is s really great song.

Anyway, I for one and looking forward to the Tampa show whatever the set list is because I skipped the arena tour so I am ready for a NIN show.

Frydek
07-26-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm willing to guess you live in a region that doesn't spend 9 years without getting a NIN gig...

Yes I know I am privileged, having lived in Canada, France and the UK. If I lived somewhere else I'd be going wild during these songs. They're amazing songs don't get me wrong, but having seen NIN once or twice every tour since TF era, I get a little tired of these, all the more so as there are other songs I've never seen live and I'd love to. Spoilt kid I know ;)

Scarlet Siren
07-26-2014, 05:37 PM
YES! I wish they were put on as bonus videos on the Blu-ray. Toss in Pinion intro as well.

My disappointing moment was when Trent associated himself with PETA. I would have been fine if it was another organization, but not PETA those bunch of cuntrags.

I thought I was the only person that said 'cuntrag'! :D

Fuck PETA.

Frozen Beach
07-26-2014, 05:45 PM
The abandonment of the Ghosts film festival.

Charmingly Miserable
07-26-2014, 06:44 PM
The abandonment of the Ghosts film festival.
Agreed but my video for Ghosts 29 was probably one of the worst ever made.

kel
07-26-2014, 07:02 PM
what's with all this PETA hate?

Microwave Jellyfish
07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Well, South Park makes fun of PETA all the time, so there must be something really wrong with them.

Right?

tony.parente
07-26-2014, 07:59 PM
what's with all this PETA hate?
Probably something to do with all the pets they kill.

kel
07-26-2014, 08:01 PM
what? examples, plzkthx.

Sarah K
07-26-2014, 08:06 PM
PETA is basically just a corporation who does little to nothing to actually help the causes that they claim to support.

tony.parente
07-26-2014, 08:29 PM
what? examples, plzkthx.
In 2013 they killed 82% of the animals they took in. http://www.petakillsanimals.com/proof-peta-kills/

Charmingly Miserable
07-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Here we go again.

Papagolash
07-26-2014, 09:21 PM
what? examples, plzkthx.

Here's a good start. http://youtu.be/7kXUPy-dCx4?list=PLBCEA40D5AF3EC6A0

kel
07-26-2014, 09:33 PM
okay, okay.

on topic, i was disappointed when htda came into existence, distracting reznor from creating something worthwhile.

Kyle
07-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Closure. I would much much much rather have seen a full concert release than what was released.

When end he finally released a real concert DVD, I thought the name of the DVD (and all that could have been) described that DVD quite well in comparison to closure.

Krazy
07-27-2014, 02:38 AM
Closure. I would much much much rather have seen a full concert release than what was released.

Totally agree. I remember buying the double VHS tapes, way back when BEFORE there was too much Internet complaining (heh), and kept waiting for the full pro shot show to start. never happened. Only watched it in full that once.

Not that everything's been unicorns and rainbows since but that was the first time I wanted my money back from something NIN related. To this day I don't understand the documentary style of Closure.

feels like something Ministry/Al would do.

hani
07-27-2014, 03:33 AM
yeah, Closure would be the one for me. I read all the praise on it on the nets and instantly became super interested in seeing it, but after the whole thing I was like "meh".

FernandoDante
07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
what? examples, plzkthx.
Comparing the slaughtering of pigs to the holocaust, as if there were no difference between the two.

EDIT: sorry, let's get back on topic.

The Came Back Haunted video!

kel
07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Comparing the slaughtering of pigs to the holocaust, as if there were no difference between the two.
huh?

10 chars

edit: nevermind

moving on ...

Frozen Beach
07-27-2014, 07:59 PM

I thought Morrissey was the one that did that?

Halo Infinity
07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
This is a very minor disappointment, but still a disappointment nonetheless. I also understand as to why and how it couldn't be.

When I realized that the sample from Midnight Express was not on the 2010 remaster of Pretty Hate Machine on Sanctified. I just got far too used to hearing it. :p

implanted_microchip
07-27-2014, 10:16 PM
If we're gonna bring up the PHM remaster, then I was fairly disappointed that there was no real bonus content on it like there was for TDS remaster. A bonus disc with the best possible versions of Purest Feeling, MJO, etc. and then demos of other songs along with GDML, as opposed to adding it onto the main album, would've been great. I love GDML but think it really detracts from Ringfinger by replacing it as the final track; that big wave of distortion of Ringfinger is a great way to end the album and if you then listen to Broken right after, serves as a really fantastic transition into Pinion. I don't know, I've always loved that NIN has never put cover songs onto the main albums, leaving it to be purely NIN, while adding GDML as the closer leaves you not with NIN but with the We Will Rock You sample.

seasonsinthesky
07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
i am wondering if Purest Feeling is in some weird legal hell like PHM used to be — doesn't make sense, but who knows. i'm sure PHM bonus material was left off because he hates it all, though.

also, a Broken/Fixed remaster has been in TR's to-do list since at least 2004, so i doubt Broken was ever going to get paired with PHM.

implanted_microchip
07-27-2014, 10:30 PM
i am wondering if Purest Feeling is in some weird legal hell like PHM used to be — doesn't make sense, but who knows. i'm sure PHM bonus material was left off because he hates it all, though.

also, a Broken/Fixed remaster has been in TR's to-do list since at least 2004, so i doubt Broken was ever going to get paired with PHM.

I didn't imply that they should add Broken on, I meant if you sit and listen from one album to the next. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I can't imagine Trent being all too hot on demos of any of his songs like the demo of Ruiner or Reptile, etc., but he included them on TDS. He was a hardcore perfectionist in the 90's and has always been highly critical of his own work, I'm certain there's a lot of material he no longer feels good about. He hates Kinda I Want To, but they didn't cut it from the PHM remaster.

I know Inverse Phase discussed the copyright issues with the Purest Feeling material, but wasn't it just that there was no actual copyright?

Kyle
07-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Yeah it's just demos so I doubt there are any copyright issues. If there is a copyright to it, it probably just belongs to Trent.

Omega
07-28-2014, 03:42 AM
Swiching out Me I'm Not for The Warning.

tony.parente
07-28-2014, 03:49 AM
Swiching out Me I'm Not for The Warning.

What was even more disappointing was that he neutered the vocals by not using the megaphone like he used to on The Warning, thats 2 different songs that got nerfed, the warning and 1,000,000.

Omega
07-28-2014, 03:58 AM
I didn't know he used a megaphone, haven't really heard those two songs much.

tony.parente
07-28-2014, 04:29 AM
I didn't know he used a megaphone, haven't really heard those two songs much.

My mistake, wasn't a megaphone but it was some sort of distorter. LITS The Warning > this crippled version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH0TFOYdY7s&feature=player_detailpage

Omega
07-28-2014, 04:43 AM
That wasn't bad:). That's the version you prefer? Haven't heard the current version.

tony.parente
07-28-2014, 04:45 AM
That wasn't bad:). That's the version you prefer? Haven't heard the current version.

The current version has less than stellar visuals, a comatose trent and no fun vocal distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pYwTci1wQN0

Omega
07-28-2014, 04:52 AM
Distortion was better, agreed.

kevinbeetle
07-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Heading into NY to see the show at MSG in '94, getting inside, then hearing the disappointment that Robin hurt his finger in a bus accident earlier and the show was postponed a day.

Shadaloo
07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
The Fragile's under-representation live, as well as everything off With Teeth that isn't its two singles. This is coming from a guy who doesn't care so much about "Greatest hits" tours, but there's a lot of stuff that wouldn't necessarily constitute "deep cuts", just a bunch of good fucking songs that would blow hardcore NIN fan #65 out of the water as equally as it would joe asshole.

EndlessLoveless
07-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Deep video. Mostly the ending with the acting.
With Teeth packaging. I want a booklet.

Space Suicide
07-28-2014, 03:55 PM
http://dl.nin.com/style/ninslip/images/album-splash.jpg

Sorry, had to say it.

Also the lack of this actually existing:

http://www.nin.com/strobelight/images/strobelight-cover-art.jpg

FernandoDante
07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
The Fragile's under-representation live, as well as everything off With Teeth that isn't its two singles. This is coming from a guy who doesn't care so much about "Greatest hits" tours, but there's a lot of stuff that wouldn't necessarily constitute "deep cuts", just a bunch of good fucking songs that would blow hardcore NIN fan #65 out of the water as equally as it would joe asshole.

I saw Soundgarden live the day after NIN, playing the same festival slot, and their setlist was better, especially considering the setting. They played the hits, one new song (surprisingly well received), and a bunch of stuff that was simply their best material. Not necessarily hits, not quite deep cuts, but their best songs. And it worked, I don't think anyone left the place hoping for more early material or new songs or whatever. Sure, a lot of their best songs were made into singles, but who cares. Reptile isn't a single, but I bet it would've come across better than Disappointed.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundgarden/2014/autodromo-de-interlagos-sao-paulo-brazil-6bc24e1e.html

implanted_microchip
07-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Anyone who felt this way seems to have stopped mentioning it because it's past the point to complain, but NIN co-headlining with Soundgarden rather than more QOTSA or simply a full-on NIN headlining show disappointed me quite a bit when it was first announced. I have never and will never understand the appeal of Soundgarden, I've tried listening to all of their albums aside from the most recent a few times now in preparation, having only ever heard the famous songs (which I hated), and the entire time I felt like I was wasting my own time. If people love them, awesome! But damn if I don't, and it was definitely frustrating knowing that to get to see NIN again this year I'd have to give time and money to a band I just cannot get even the least bit excited about.

I'm incredibly excited to see the show that NIN is putting on and cannot wait, but I know the whole time Soundgarden is on I'll just be waiting and trying not to be one of "those people" who has no energy during the show.

Kyle
07-28-2014, 05:44 PM
I saw Soundgarden live the day after NIN, playing the same festival slot, and their setlist was better, especially considering the setting. They played the hits, one new song (surprisingly well received), and a bunch of stuff that was simply their best material. Not necessarily hits, not quite deep cuts, but their best songs. And it worked, I don't think anyone left the place hoping for more early material or new songs or whatever. Sure, a lot of their best songs were made into singles, but who cares. Reptile isn't a single, but I bet it would've come across better than Disappointed.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundgarden/2014/autodromo-de-interlagos-sao-paulo-brazil-6bc24e1e.html

Outside of ETS every person I've seen comment on the show, whether it be reviews, random Internet posts, and even one friend of mine who is a hardcore fan from back in the nineties and knows all the same stuff we do and has seen them live multiple times over multiple eras and went to the Toronto SG/NIN show (both this week and in 1994) - all of them have said the same thing about the NIN setlist that you said about the Soundgarden setlist. In fact the exact words of my friend were "perfect setlist" this is a girl who knows it all about NIN. Who made it a special night when the first bootleg video from Fuji last year was online to watch it with her husband as a special event. She knows how rarely/never songs like WITT/TPD are played. She knows what purest feeling is and what a halo is. She went to see HTDA despite not caring for the cd just because NIN hadn't toured in so long (and she ended up liking it and having more respect for the cd afterward). And she described the setlist as "perfect."

so I think it's time to accept that we most definitely do not speak for the general fandom. I'm not saying it's wrong to have your opinion, because even a certain someone we won't bring up in this new thread is entitled to his opinion. I just think it's good to accept that it might not be the gospel truth we think it is.

Mirish2271
07-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Outside of ETS every person I've seen comment on the show, whether it be reviews, random Internet posts, and even one friend of mine who is a hardcore fan from back in the nineties and knows all the same stuff we do and has seen them live multiple times over multiple eras and went to the Toronto SG/NIN show (both this week and in 1994) - all of them have said the same thing about the NIN setlist that you said about the Soundgarden setlist. In fact the exact words of my friend were "perfect setlist" this is a girl who knows it all about NIN. Who made it a special night when the first bootleg video from Fuji last year was online to watch it with her husband as a special event. She knows how rarely/never songs like WITT/TPD are played. She knows what purest feeling is and what a halo is. She went to see HTDA despite not caring for the cd just because NIN hadn't toured in so long (and she ended up liking it and having more respect for the cd afterward). And she described the setlist as "perfect."

so I think it's time to accept that we most definitely do not speak for the general fandom. I'm not saying it's wrong to have your opinion, because even a certain someone we won't bring up in this new thread is entitled to his opinion. I just think it's good to accept that it might not be the gospel truth we think it is.

Sorry, I just can't agree with that statement. Last Thursday at Tinley Park was my 30th show since 1991, and I've been to every tour, multiple stops, and even had the incredible pleasure of meeting Trent himself. However, I cannot agree with the assessment that this is the "perfect setlist". This is Trent being tired and burned out from touring too much if you ask me. This last leg shows very little set list risk taking or creativity, which is unfortunate. It seems like Trent has developed a very safe, easy familiar 18 song set that they can churn out with little chance of errors. I could live the rest of my life without seeing "piggy", "closer", or "gave up" live again. Not bad songs, just so overdone live.
The one thing I will say is no matter how tired Trent may be with the whole experience, he always, always, always gives 110% in every performance. Just too bad this setlist is a bit subpar. Still the greatest artist of our generation.

Sarah K
07-29-2014, 09:27 AM
People are still forgetting that he needs to cater to a crowd that isn't his for this tour. I mean, I can name you one Soundgarden song. So if they don't play that ONE song that I know, I'll be like "wtf?". It goes the opposite way, as well. If Trent doesn't play Closer, THTF, Hurt, etc... There are going to be lots of bummed out Soundgarden fans who aren't going to recognize anything. To call this a greatest hits set is pretty misleading. Me, I'm Not, Find My Way, Eraser, Somewhat Damaged, The Great Destroyer - average folks don't know these songs. I think the sets shows a good balance between lesser known and well known.

sheepdean
07-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Every complaint seems to come from people who've seen NIN 20 times. Guess what: Trent isn't going to change every song every night just because you were at the AIR show. He's playing for strangers, not for old friends.

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Trent letting everyone's opinion on Everything keep him from playing it live, the video getting scrapped and him even calling it "an irritant." If I can extend it to the fanbase, then the general initial reaction to that, too; when I saw that there was a goddamned petition to remove it from the album I nearly gave up on the NINternet for a bit. That was a magically shitty moment for sure.

Satellite not getting a video and single release, when out of any HM song that seems like by far the best shot at being commercially successful, and the live visuals were some of the absolute strongest from the Tension tour, they could've done a great video with similar imagery.

Actually in general the lack of videos for NIN albums for a long time now; TDS era was incredible and The Fragile was decent (the scrapped footage for TDTWWA video is wonderful), and everything after just kind of quit trying. The Survivalism video was great, but it felt like such a shame to only get a short little snapshot visually of the Year Zero world when, out of any NIN album, that is by far the most untapped potential for videos. With the massive ARG and comics and art and all that went into it, it really seems like they could've used music videos as another way of enriching that world and breathing life into it. While I'm at it, Vessel should've been a single and had a video.

elevenism
07-29-2014, 06:29 PM
When i just read the setlist that is being played now.
But it's pretty much what i expected...that's why i'm not going.

I wonder why everyone hates the slip so much? i REALly like it!
And YZ doesn't get much love either, but everyone around here sure did seem to like it when it came out!

Anyway, i hope we get another new album soon.

oh, btw, i understand what you guys are saying, sheepdean , about the set lists. My wife is one of those people who would be pissed if she didn't hear the old standards.
I just mean for ME, what i want to hear...i don't mean that's what should be played.

icecream
07-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I wish I could have caught Satellite and In Two live during Tension.

For me, I didn't enjoy The Slip because the first heavier songs sound too similar to me. The best of 1,000,000, Letting You, Discipline and Head Down is DDiscipline. Echoplex is OK but Corona Radiata, The Four of Us Dying and Demon Seed seem like they were tacked on so it would be a free album and not EP. Lights in the Sky is the only standout track while Discipline is a close second.

Swykk
07-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Can I be Captain Obvious, and say "deciding to bring Hole on the road" all those years ago was easily my least favorite thing ever in the history of NIN?

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 07:08 PM
And YZ doesn't get much love either, but everyone around here sure did seem to like it when it came out!

Year Zero is the album that got me into NIN alongside With_Teeth; I'd been a massive sci-fi dork and was becoming politically aware and had never really delved into electronic music before, and that album alongside reading about and finding sites from the ARG just sparked this amazing love in me for it, that alongside the personal themes and general sound of WT made me just find pretty much everything I could afterward. I think I had the AIR flag as my wallpaper for at least a month after discovering that album; I even remember getting the CD and being freaked out by the color-changing disc. It's by far my 2nd favorite post-Fragile album (I think HM beats it by a very, very small margin for me).

Atu
07-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Trent letting everyone's opinion on Everything keep him from playing it live, the video getting scrapped and him even calling it "an irritant." If I can extend it to the fanbase, then the general initial reaction to that, too; when I saw that there was a goddamned petition to remove it from the album I nearly gave up on the NINternet for a bit. That was a magically shitty moment for sure.

Satellite not getting a video and single release, when out of any HM song that seems like by far the best shot at being commercially successful, and the live visuals were some of the absolute strongest from the Tension tour, they could've done a great video with similar imagery.

That.
And I don't get it why Various Methods of Escape doesn't have a video - it's like the perfect song for a single.

Deepvoid
07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I was listening to Further Down The Spiral and realized that HM gave birth to Seed Eight.
What a shame. Songs on HM had great potential for a full length remix album.

kel
07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Can I be Captain Obvious, and say "deciding to bring Hole on the road" all those years ago was easily my least favorite thing ever in the history of NIN?
hole fucking rules. that hole/mm/nin lineup was the stuff of my early-mid 90's dreams. luckily i saw hole and manson on that (awesomely) doomed tour in march of 1999.

Sarah K
07-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Some of their songs are okay, just not my style. But Courtney is such an awful person.

Swykk
07-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Courtney is the worst person.

Sarah K
07-30-2014, 06:58 PM
cc: ophelia_

ophelia_
07-30-2014, 08:51 PM
COURTNEY IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE! argh... Seriously though. I love that woman. haha.

I'm seeing her at the end of the month and it's going to be AMAZEBALLS!
Swykk sorry, I couldn't not facepalm that. I feel horrible, but Courtney's my homie. :P

Microwave Jellyfish
07-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I think I'm missing something here, but I'm not sober, so these last few posts have been really fun anyway. Thanks!

allegro
07-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Courtney is the worst person.
Yeah, after reading Kennedy's book, holy crap, I gotta agree, whoa! I used to defend Courtney after Kurt died, but never again.

icecream
07-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Do we have a cooking/culinary arts thread here? If not, that disappoints me.

DigitalChaos
07-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Yeah, after reading Kennedy's book, holy crap, I gotta agree, whoa! I used to defend Courtney after Kurt died, but never again.

Was that a good book? It's in my queue alongside Al Jorgensen's book.

DigitalChaos
07-31-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm disappointed that Trent is wearing fake boots with zippers on the side.

http://i.imgur.com/EjYbUpR.jpg

Kyle
07-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Some of their songs are okay, just not my style. But Courtney is such an awful person.

Live Through This is a seriously underrated nineties but of awesomeness. It's Nirvana's last album almost. I think the only reason it's not considered a classic is because of how much of an awful person Courtney is.

Although if she was just as awful a person, but a guy instead of a girl, I wonder if she'd be as hated.

Kyle
07-31-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm disappointed that Trent is wearing fake boots with zippers on the side.

http://i.imgur.com/EjYbUpR.jpg

he spent $600 on the pants. There were too many empty seats so he had to cut corners somewhere.

DigitalChaos
07-31-2014, 12:39 AM
he spent $600 on the pants. There were too many empty seats so he had to cut corners somewhere.
well, the boots are $1,100... still makes the zipper lame :P www.nicecollective.com/en/product/reznor-combat-boot-f14-2001.html

allegro
07-31-2014, 05:24 AM
Live Through This is a seriously underrated nineties but of awesomeness. It's Nirvana's last album almost. I think the only reason it's not considered a classic is because of how much of an awful person Courtney is.
According to Kennedy, Courtney is so talentless at writing anything herself, Courtney gets others to write all of her songs and Kurt wrote all of "Live Through This." (Courtney only writes lyrics.)

allegro
07-31-2014, 05:26 AM
Was that a good book? It's in my queue alongside Al Jorgensen's book.
You'd love it; she's a Libertarian. (Well, she *was* a Reagan Republican LOL.) It's typical honest funny Kennedy, lots of Trent Reznor stories that are funny. A story re that GooGoo Dolls guy, wtf, ew. A Dave Navarro and Kennedy naked almost sex in a coffin story. MTV bullshit going down the tubes insider stories. But lots of Courtney is fucking evil insane stories.

Yeah, those boots ... well, sadly, they remind me of my late stepdad's gym shoes that had velcro closes on them so he wouldn't have to tie them.

BRoswell
08-01-2014, 03:36 PM
The most disappointing moment for me was when Trent signed to a label. What a sellout!

Butterscotch
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Has this been mentioned? The fact that Death Grips dropped out of the tour.

Seeing them with NIN and Soundgarden all in the same show would have been so fuckin cool.

Butterscotch
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
I guess that's not really a NIN moment per se.

trazcure
08-01-2014, 04:23 PM
every time the hand that feeds is played live

tony.parente
08-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Could you imagine going to tonights show after the previous nights setlist and having to sit through the copy and paste set? Brutal.

mel_zombie
08-02-2014, 12:01 AM

no the worst---when he banged c love. What in the hell was he thinking?

orion9
08-02-2014, 01:53 AM
Newbie here. Just found the forum a few days ago and feel like I've found a new home. Been NIN obsessed since the late 80's and was completely hooked after my first NIN show on 9/11/94.

Here's my disappointing moment from today.

I really hoped to have a great time tonight seeing NIN at Jones Beach. When I should have been sitting in orch A row K I was stuck on Southwest flight 1072 after 7 hours of delays.

First 3hr delay was due to a mechanical issue, for the second hour long delay we sat on the plan w/no air (hot and stinky), mechanical issue had not been completely resolved. 3rd delay was 30 minutes due to air traffic control. 4th delay was to find another pilot, due to all the delays our pilot was no longer able to fly due to a regulation on number of hrs worked. We de-board for over an hour while they try to find another pilot.

We finally landed at LaGuardia @ 9pm (original arrive time 3pm), I thought maybe I could get my rental car and catch the last hour of NIN but instead we sat on the runway for another hour, no gates were available. My day started at 9am at Lambert Airport and finally ended at 11pm when I made it to my hotel in Queens with an unused ticket to the concert, wasted money on rental car, parking, hotel room with nothing else to do but write this and go to sleep. All on a vacation day! Hoping for a better day and show tomorrow.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent...
John

tony.parente
08-02-2014, 02:03 AM
Newbie here. Just found the forum a few days ago and feel like I've found a new home. Been NIN obsessed since the late 80's and was completely hooked after my first NIN show on 9/11/94.

Here's my disappointing moment from today.

I really hoped to have a great time tonight seeing NIN at Jones Beach. When I should have been sitting in orch A row K I was stuck on Southwest flight 1072 after 7 hours of delays.

First 3hr delay was due to a mechanical issue, for the second hour long delay we sat on the plan w/no air (hot and stinky), mechanical issue had not been completely resolved. 3rd delay was 30 minutes due to air traffic control. 4th delay was to find another pilot, due to all the delays our pilot was no longer able to fly due to a regulation on number of hrs worked. We de-board for over an hour while they try to find another pilot.

We finally landed at LaGuardia @ 9pm (original arrive time 3pm), I thought maybe I could get my rental car and catch the last hour of NIN but instead we sat on the runway for another hour, no gates were available. My day started at 9am at Lambert Airport and finally ended at 11pm when I made it to my hotel in Queens with an unused ticket to the concert, wasted money on rental car, parking, hotel room with nothing else to do but write this and go to sleep. All on a vacation day! Hoping for a better day and show tomorrow.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent...
John

That really sucks man...you said lambert airport, you an STL guy like me?

Sarah K
08-02-2014, 02:06 AM
That is fucking awful... I hope that tomorrow goes better for you!

howdidislipinto
08-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Although if she was just as awful a person, but a guy instead of a girl, I wonder if she'd be as hated.

The answer is 100% no, in case you were curious, as there are countless male rockstars who behave exactly as she does and if they aren't loved they're at the very least just politely ignored.

hani
08-02-2014, 08:18 AM
and what is that book you guys are talking about?

thefragile_jake
08-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Has this been mentioned? The fact that Death Grips dropped out of the tour.

Seeing them with NIN and Soundgarden all in the same show would have been so fuckin cool.

Death Grips breaking up was the reason I skipped trying to see this whole tour.

implanted_microchip
08-02-2014, 12:24 PM
NIN touring with Soundgarden is a disappointment for me, for sure, considering how much we hear about Trent not wanting NIN to become a nostalgia-based act (and the show they're putting on really doesn't seem like one to me; the effort, the production and a lot of the song choices are anything but, and seem vital and sincere and all that jazz), so to be doing a tour with another big 90's band who really only have that in common, seems like a very odd choice and misrepresents NIN to me.

Touring with QOTSA, Tension, the festival run, the European leg, etc. all just had this very strong sense of "now" and felt like Trent was really presenting Nine Inch Nails as modern Nine Inch Nails, not trying to use past association or nostalgia to reel in an audience, and I loved that. The current show itself is fantastic looking and I couldn't be more excited if I tried, but the package deal just seems so odd and out of character of modern-NIN.

And I'm not just adamantly against co-headlining (although, yeah, more NIN is always the better choice), I feel like if you get the right band, the fact that you're seeing two great acts that pair well together all at once can really make up for "standard" sets and make it a really great experience, and a band like QOTSA makes total sense for me. Trent's constantly loved them, appeared on their new album, collaborated here and there with Josh, both had fantastic albums last year, both have had progressive attitudes about the music industry, as a whole it was an interesting and sensible pairing. Neither sounds like the other, but there's enough common ground that it seemed like a great choice. Soundgarden just does not present any of that to me, and I know that for 80 minutes or so, I'm going to be bored out of my mind.

botley
08-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Eh, they have some seriously good songs and a unique groove. Maybe open your mind a little more? You may actually enjoy it.

orion9
08-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Tony, glad to meet another NIN fan from STL. I live in Eureka and work downtown STL. First NIN show was at the FOX.
botley and Sarah, thanks for the kind words.

I should be in section 101 row A seat 6 tonight, if its empty then I had another bad night.

implanted_microchip
08-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Eh, they have some seriously good songs and a unique groove. Maybe open your mind a little more? You may actually enjoy it.

I actually really, really tried to love them. I'd heard great things about them from all sorts of places, had never heard anything past the "hits," which never rubbed me the right way, but I also knew that singles aren't always the best representations of a band, so when the tour was announced I made it my goal to see what all the fuss was about, really expecting something good.

I tried Superunknown and it just did nothing for me. It hit a point where it just felt like background noise. And Cornell's voice never struck me the way it seems to have struck everyone else; I don't know why, it just never really shined to me. Granted, a ton of people in rock have since imitated that style, so maybe it's just another one of those "Citizen Kane, The Beatles" situations that a lot of people have?

I listened to Badmotorfinger and that still didn't really click either.

If people like them, awesome! I'm glad that people do; in general, if people love something, I'm happy they found something that works for them, and I try to never be judgmental for anyone liking something that's special to them, but trying to like them is a brick wall for me.

Frozen Beach
08-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm disappointed Trent hasn't collaborated with David Sylvian. Preferably an ambient album with Russell Mills doing the artwork. I can dream, right?

m33k
08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm kind of surprised that no one else brought this up yet but...

The most disappointing NIN moment for me was when Trent got too sick to perform the last 4 Wave Goodbye dates as scheduled (even though most of that disappointment was eventually made up for). I flew to LA from Rochester, NY and rented a bungalo for the week, flying out the day after the scheduled Echoplex date, which I think was supposed to be the actual "last" show. I had tickets to all 4 of the shows, and one Chicago date that I ended up missing for other, unavoidable reasons.

So I flew out of LA the day of the rescheduled Fonda show, went to work an hour after landing, and determined to make it to the "last" show, got a flight last minute (which I can't remember how much it cost but it definitely wasn't cheap), flew out the morning of the Wiltern show and took a cab from LAX to the gig. Got there and there was already a decent sized line. When it came time to pass out wristbands for the different tiers of the venue, I was one person behind the last person that got the first tier (rail). Gah.

BUT... I did get to see TDS in it's entirety, arguably one of the best setlists ever, and some girl gave me traded wristbands with me before NIN so I got to be up front and center.

So when it comes down to it... any NIN disappointment I've had in the past has seemed to be remedied rather quickly.

mel_zombie
08-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Death Grips breaking up was the reason I skipped trying to see this whole tour.

are you dead serious?

thefragile_jake
08-03-2014, 01:25 AM
are you dead serious?

Yep. The chance to see one of my favorite bands of the past few years preview new material while my favorite band of all time basically ran through yet another staple "greatest hits" set sounded pretty cool....but then the band I care about more these days split.

tony.parente
08-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Yep. The chance to see one of my favorite bands of the past few years preview new material while my favorite band of all time basically ran through yet another staple "greatest hits" set sounded pretty cool....but then the band I care about more these days split.

I wonder what the ticket sales of the latter half of the tour would have been like if the setlist would have been...well...good.
Like, if they decided to open with all the love in the world instead of copy of a, and threw in suck and down in it as set staples, and maybe randomly threw in the great below and get down make love, and added letting you, the becoming, into the void, various methods and maybe the way out is through.

Idk, I can't figure out why he refuses to play the tracks the fans really LIKE.

thefragile_jake
08-03-2014, 01:51 AM
I wonder what the ticket sales of the latter half of the tour would have been like if the setlist would have been...well...good.
Like, if they decided to open with all the love in the world instead of copy of a, and threw in suck and down in it as set staples, and maybe randomly threw in the great below and get down make love, and added letting you, the becoming, into the void, various methods and maybe the way out is through.

Yeah who knows, Trent does a lot of talking about how different the presentation of the live performance will be and I guess people like us get excited when we hear the band is shifting down to size in hopes that new material is going to be present. Wasn't he talking about Year Zero material making it's way more or something? I might have missed that somewhere or getting it confused. Oh well. It doesn't matter. I didn't feel like paying a good amount of money for the same show I saw last year with less people on stage and different lights.

Oh well. Just my opinion. Death Grips was just more of an exciting band for me to see and NIN was kind of like the "Oh yeah, they're there too..." bonus.

implanted_microchip
08-03-2014, 01:59 AM
That TDS era Sex Dwarf cover never seeing the light of day. Why Trent thought teasing us with that Appendage snippet was anything but cruel is beyond me.

telee.kom
08-03-2014, 04:18 AM
NIN touring with Soundgarden is a disappointment for me, for sure, considering how much we hear about Trent not wanting NIN to become a nostalgia-based act (and the show they're putting on really doesn't seem like one to me; the effort, the production and a lot of the song choices are anything but, and seem vital and sincere and all that jazz), so to be doing a tour with another big 90's band who really only have that in common, seems like a very odd choice and misrepresents NIN to me.

I think co-headlining tour idea was a mistake to begin with no matter what band they would play with. There's just too much of a chance you pay more money just to spent hour and a half bored on a band you don't care about just to wait out on shortened greatest hits NIN set with half of the audience who doesn't give a flying fuck about any of NIN songs. Sure there are some people who like em both, but what are the advantages of doing co-headlining tour anyway? Do the bands save some money doing this or what?

GulDukat
08-03-2014, 04:26 AM
No real disappointing moments for me. NIN had to postpone two shows that I had tickets for (because TR was sick), but I don't see that as a "disappointing moment," it's just life. NIN rescheduled and there was no problem.

For me NIN has always been a band that I see as always delivering. I've enjoyed all of TR's work and all the shows that I've seen. No complaints from me. Sure, there are maybe a few songs that I'm not crazy about, but I can say that about any band that I like.

It's actually fun to be A NIN fan--try being a Van Halen or Guns N' Roses fan--not always so much fun.

tony.parente
08-03-2014, 04:47 AM
what are the advantages of doing co-headlining tour anyway? Do the bands save some money doing this or what?

It's just easier. Same exact time for each band, you split all the $$ 50/50, you can get away with coasting through an easy, safe setlist because it's almost expected with a coheadliner and you can make more money with dual merch feat both bands on it. No one expects anything exciting from a coheadlining set.

GulDukat
08-03-2014, 05:01 AM
It's just easier. Same exact time for each band, you split all the $$ 50/50, you can get away with coasting through an easy, safe setlist because it's almost expected with a coheadliner and you can make more money with dual merch feat both bands on it. No one expects anything exciting from a coheadlining set.
On the other hand, given that there are a lot of cross-over fans between fan bases, it gives 90% of the audience a chance to see two bands that they like. Personally I was really excited when I heard about the NIN/Soundgarden bill and was not at all disappointed in the show. Yes, I would have liked to have heard something from The Fragile, my personal favorite NIN album, but that's pretty minor. I loved the show.

tony.parente
08-03-2014, 06:12 AM
I would have liked to have heard something from The Fragile

The SOB knows the fragile is the majority fan favorite out of the catalog, he even said it in an interview. Literally refusing to play anything from the album in the majority of the sets in the tour.

BenAkenobi
08-03-2014, 06:20 AM
"the eater of dreams" and "black noise" tracks are disappointingly short, they're like teasers

Butterscotch
08-03-2014, 02:14 PM
"the eater of dreams" and "black noise" tracks are disappointingly short, they're like teasers

I'm not surprised they're short, most intros/outros are.

virushopper
08-04-2014, 01:19 PM
For me, it is Trent and co. not bring the Performance 2007 tour to the States. Yes, I know it had an appearance in Hawaii and the OSR show but come on! I wanted to see Aaron do the solo to Ruiner or see the gang do Last.

imail724
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Lights in the Sky not coming to NY. WTF was that shit? The closest show was NJ and I was 17 at the time and had just gotten my license so my parents were not letting me drive there. If it had come to NY that would have been my first NY show and would have blown my socks off.

m15a
08-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Lights in the Sky not coming to NY. WTF was that shit? The closest show was NJ and I was 17 at the time and had just gotten my license so my parents were not letting me drive there. If it had come to NY that would have been my first NY show and would have blown my socks off.

Tell the 17-year-old version of yourself to take LIRR to Penn Station and NJ Transit from there. ;)

imail724
08-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Tell the 17-year-old version of yourself to take LIRR to Penn Station and NJ Transit from there. ;)
Lmao, I'll let him know.

icecream
08-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Lights in the Sky came to my random town in Canada but my area got skipped on the Wave Goodbye. Fifteen year old me couldn't (still can't) drive so I missed the closest show. That's my disappointing moment, NIN didn't even come close to Vancouver.

WorzelG
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Seriously, I love All the love in the world, it's one of my favourite songs from NIN, but its severely underrated and I don't think it resonates past more than a very few percent of the fanbase, and Copy of A is amazing live, I tend to skip it on the album because it sounds so much better live, it gets the energy up. I could lose Hand that Feeds though.

Anyway my most disappointing moment is the whole Reading festival thing last year where the production was screwed up. Not that it wasn't a good set, but the crowd really were not the right crowd and the whole atmosphere was off. I wish I'd saved myself £100+ and just gone to the 3 shows I went to the following year which were amazing

m15a
08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Wasn't he talking about Year Zero material making it's way more or something?

Sorry if this is wrong, but from what I remember, Trent said something about being excited about some of the stuff from YZ and TF that the band were rehearsing back around the Australia/NZ tour leg. My guess is that he was referring to The Great Destroyer and TDTWWA. Could have been referring to any number of other things, though.

implanted_microchip
08-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Sorry if this is wrong, but from what I remember, Trent said something about being excited about some of the stuff from YZ and TF that the band were rehearsing back around the Australia/NZ tour leg. My guess is that he was referring to The Great Destroyer and TDTWWA. Could have been referring to any number of other things, though.

Yeah, they've done TDTWWA, The Great Destroyer, Somewhat Damaged, Vessel, Me, I'm Not, the Frail/The Wretched, Survivalism, The Warning, The Big Come Down, and The Beginning of the End this year across the different legs of the 2014 tour. Not a ton of The Fragile, but definitely a healthy dose of YZ. It's just not all been in one setlist.

ambergris
08-05-2014, 04:42 AM
My biggest NIN-related disappointment was when Leviathant didn't give me a h/t when he used my joke in the NIN hotline announcement of Trent's Oscar win. It really was my best line here.

Usedtohaveaporpoise
08-08-2014, 05:17 PM
2 big disappointments for me:
2005- NIN was playing at Stubbs in Austin. My wife went down to the venue and waited in line forever, only to have the ticketing system crash. By the time it came up, tickets were all but gone. I think about 5 people in line ended up with tickets.
2013- We missed out on being in the crowd for the Austin City Limits performance. Honestly, after watching it I wasn't that disappointed...but in the moment we were both pretty crushed.
Also, not super stoked on a couple things about next week's show: No GA Pit, and Soundgarden.

Throw_it_away9
08-13-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm disappointed that this tour's setlists aren't nearly as good as the last 'last tour for a while.'

~ ~

Not a disappointing moment yet...but can we talk about Terrible Lie NOT being played on this tour [at every show]?

Looking on Setlist FM, there have been a couple of times where TL was on the setlist and not even played.

TL is [one of, if not] my fav [live or not] songs and I would absolutely die if I went to a show and didn't hear it.

9 days till Irvine and I'm scared...hopefully when TR comes to California, he'll take into consideration that many of us went to Vegas and play Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched and some of the other rarer (for this tour anyway) songs.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-13-2014, 08:03 PM
TL is [one of, if not] my fav [live or not] songs and I would absolutely die if I went to a show and didn't hear it.
If that's a promise, I hope it's a lie.

Dr Channard
10-27-2015, 08:36 AM
I’m a little bit disappointed in the official nin site never updating the forums as was discussed, as well as delinking them from the homepage. Why let it hang in limbo like this?

Reaps
10-27-2015, 08:48 AM
remix.nin and it's looong overdue overhaul/update.. seeing as the last update was 'The Social Network' multitracks gives me a sad face.

Reznor2112
10-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Tension Blu ray...

mfte
10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
remix.nin and it's looong overdue overhaul/update.. seeing as the last update was 'The Social Network' multitracks gives me a sad face.

You don't like the weird interface? or the tiny font? or how dark it is?

henryeatscereal
10-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Tension Blu ray...
Ditto, i wanted a new NIN concert on Blu Ray so bad, and i was hoping for some cool extras

Reaps
10-27-2015, 10:54 AM
You don't like the weird interface? or the tiny font? or how dark it is?

Lol, yeah and that. I'd rather the site didn't exist than to continue with it's current format.

Amaro
10-27-2015, 11:22 AM
"Hey!" 1+ times in a song performed live.

BenAkenobi
10-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Ditto, i wanted a new NIN concert on Blu Ray so bad, and i was hoping for some cool extras

In Tour subforum there's topic dedicated to BR from Australia (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3020-Nine-Inch-Nails-Australian-2014-DVD), the guy needs more buyers, get on it if you haven't already ;)

henryeatscereal
10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
In Tour subforum there's topic dedicated to BR from Australia (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3020-Nine-Inch-Nails-Australian-2014-DVD), the guy needs more buyers, get on it if you haven't already ;)
I will check, thanks i had no idea of this project

SarahConnor
10-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Things Falling Apart.
First time NIN faltered- few outside remixers, redundancy of versions, shitty sounds. 'Metal' is the only jam, scrap the rest

tony.parente
10-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Everything involving the Hesitation Marks era

RocketScience
10-27-2015, 03:27 PM
The Zoo Station cover, complete snoozefest.

Frozen Beach
10-27-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm disappointed that Trent hasn't really acknowledged the existence of the Quake soundtrack since its conception. It'd be nice to hear some of the tracks live, maybe even a remaster at some point.

Patrick_Nicholas
10-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Okay. For me...

Adrian Belew opting out of the 2013 NIN live band. He did have a valid reason, though: the songs were going to sound too much like the studio versions for him. With a few exceptions (Sanctified being the most obvious) I pretty much agree. The guitar on the "1,000,000" intro being replaced with the synthesized guitar of the studio version; "Only" also using the studio version's intro, even though the Teeth/Performance and LITS intros were different; "The Big Come Down" using the cleaner guitars of the studio version in place of the distorted guitars of tours past; and I'm sure there are some that only sounded different because of the backing vocalists. Those were just from the top of my head.

Also, I'm not too big on the four-piece incarnations of the band (2009 and 2014; no keyboardist and no bassist, respectively) mainly due to the heavy use of pre-recorded parts.

billpulsipher
10-27-2015, 05:30 PM
aaron north
the hand that feeds
rob sheridan
the grammy awards
the setlists of the entire 2013/2014 tour
the tension tour
the failure of the tension dvd

tony.parente
10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
aaron north
the hand that feeds
rob sheridan
the grammy awards
the setlists of the entire 2013/2014 tour
the tension tour
the failure of the tension dvd
I heavily disagree with THTF, Aaron, and rob. Everything else is on point.

billpulsipher
10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I heavily disagree with THTF, Aaron, and rob. Everything else is on point.

THTF as a stand alone song is fine.....i just hated that it was the 1st single and seemed like a blatant attempt at TR to cater to the masses....woulda preferred that song be hidden on the album and not shoved down everyones throats as the "hit single"..i still remember watching that video for the 1st time and TR with his emo haircut singing this catchy song....something like "the line begins to blur" shoulda been the lead single just to fuck with everyone

tony.parente
10-27-2015, 06:51 PM
THTF as a stand alone song is fine.....i just hated that it was the 1st single and seemed like a blatant attempt at TR to cater to the masses....woulda preferred that song be hidden on the album and not shoved down everyones throats as the "hit single"..i still remember watching that video for the 1st time and TR with his emo haircut singing this catchy song....something like "the line begins to blur" shoulda been the lead single just to fuck with everyone
Well I mean NIN has always catered to the masses, and to be honest THTF is the only single I want to hear live anymore, though the joy is killed with trents constant THTF/HLAH/Hurt closer at shows.

buckaroo
10-27-2015, 07:29 PM
every day they don't announce the fragile deluxe

Ryan
10-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Something like aatchb (song) existing and never being done live.

billpulsipher
10-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Well I mean NIN has always catered to the masses, and to be honest THTF is the only single I want to hear live anymore, though the joy is killed with trents constant THTF/HLAH/Hurt closer at shows.

this might be the most disappointing NIN moment ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAJgk0tNk8

BRoswell
10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
*cough*
Dance Party US fuckin' A
*cough*

GibbonBlack
10-27-2015, 09:49 PM
this might be the most disappointing NIN moment ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAJgk0tNk8

I like to think that Trent was obligated to do that and said "well, fuck it. I'm going to wear white and sunglasses and ham it up then"

Wolfkiller
10-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Vessel. A handful of songs on Hesitation Marks when I'm not high. No more keyboard smashing. Most if not all instruments post The Fragile/Still.
Edit: Finding out so many of his hardcore fan base are ridiculous SJWs. Scrapping the With Teeth demos (allegedly) that were the 13 or so hard punches to the face.

ChipRock
10-28-2015, 08:08 AM
In hindsight I really love With Teeth, but at the time it did seem a bit disappointing. The songs are quality, but a combination of production style and presentation made it feel pretty weak I think - certainly against what had come before. Things weren't helped though by that band - I never liked Jeordie or Aaron, I'm afraid. I only saw them in 2007 mind you. The setlist was great, but the vibe was just totally off for me. In contrast though, I loved the 2013-14 band (preferably with Josh, obvs) so my second disappointment is the mysterious disappearance of the Tension/Europe DVD/BD. I know there are video rips and so on, but I'm super excited to hear a proper full high quality recording of these shows. Maybe one day...

Microwave Jellyfish
10-28-2015, 08:29 AM
*cough*
Dance Party US fuckin' A
*cough*
Only disappointing thing about it is that the dancers don't switch into full jitterbug mode during the breakdown.

Seriously, dem moves at 1:13.

https://youtu.be/whVtrLrTWwE?t=1m11s

Tears of joy every time.

buckaroo
10-28-2015, 09:03 AM
In hindsight I really love With Teeth, but at the time it did seem a bit disappointing. The songs are quality, but a combination of production style and presentation made it feel pretty weak I think - certainly against what had come before.

i loved with teeth when it came out and i still think it's great today. however, it seems very evident to me that the album suffers from a shift in direction. knowing that there was a concept originally for bleedthrough you can really hear those tracks and how great they sound compared to the ones that seem to fall outside of that original idea. especially after hearing non-entity and home i felt really let down that the album could have been so much better by just swapping a few tracks with those and maybe other unheard tracks from those sessions. aside from the fragile, with teeth is probably the album i would be most interested in hearing unreleased tracks from. i also really like the original idea for the bleedthrough cover much more than what was released for with teeth.

implanted_microchip
10-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Edit: Finding out so many of his hardcore fan base are ridiculous SJWs.

Who'd've thought a band known for being considered something of a voice for isolated, disenfranchised or depressed people dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues might attract people who support equality and common decency.

OT: I'm loving the pro-shot of the SG tour included on that Live 2013/14 box set!

Wolfkiller
10-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Who'd've thought a band known for being considered something of a voice for isolated, disenfranchised or depressed people dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues might attract people who support equality and common decency.

OT: I'm loving the pro-shot of the SG tour included on that Live 2013/14 box set!

Who'd've thought a band known for being considered something of a voice for skeptical free thinking non believers would attract a bunch of people who subscribe to an extreme ideology that doesn't allow disagreement or questioning of whatever nonsense idea they dream up that day. Keep telling yourself that anyone who disagrees doesn't support equality and common decency. Make enemies of people who are mostly on the same team as you over ridiculous issues.

implanted_microchip
10-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Who'd've thought a band known for being considered something of a voice for skeptical free thinking non believers would attract a bunch of people who subscribe to an extreme ideology that doesn't allow disagreement or questioning of whatever nonsense idea they dream up that day. Keep telling yourself that anyone who disagrees doesn't support equality and common decency. Make enemies of people who are mostly on the same team as you over ridiculous issues.

I firmly disagree that that's how anyone for the most part here is. All I ever seen on ETS when it comes to "SJW" behavior (the fact that being a supporter of social justice is considered an insult is so telling of anyone who uses it as one to begin with) is people saying "Hey, could you be a little more considerate of others feelings?" and a general expectation of holding yourself accountable for your own actions and behavior, and trying to not be needlessly offensive and hurtful to others in non-constructive ways -- you know, the way that any halfway decent forum that doesn't want to be overrun with shitposting trolls is. If you think that this is representative of the NIN community at large, you're sadly mistaken, as much as I wish that really was the case -- this forum has what, less than a hundred, maybe even less than fifty, constant regular users? There's plenty of occasional posters or lurkers but in terms of the "main community" it's not some high number. Maybe that's a big reason people here expect common decency -- because it's small enough for each user to be a member of a real, perceived community rather than every post just being a drop in the bucket.

I've seen plenty of questioning and discussion done here, both in the NIN forums and general forums, and the only issue people ever run into is if they're not willing to support their stances and play nice. There are tons of facebook groups and alternative fansites that I'm sure are full of people being unnecessarily mean, harsh and targeting others for being members of a minority (or a perceived one; women sure aren't a minority and yet the level of sexism you'll find defended under the guise of "just my opinion, I'm not a sexist lol, stop being such an SJW and take a compliment, maybe then you'd have a boyfriend hurr" is enough to make it seem like they are one). Go check them out, have fun, enjoy not getting along with anyone. I'm grateful to say that in my year-plus of being an active member here, that's not something I have dealt with, and anytime anyone has tried to behave that way, they get called out for it.

(I'm sorry for de-railing the thread and maybe I shouldn't be responding to this post at all in here but I just felt like I should, and hopefully everyone's cool with that.)

OT: Home being a bonus track and not part of the main album. All I ever see anyone say about it is how great it is and there's a sad number of people who have no clue it even exists. And on the subject of With Teeth, I really wish there'd been more conceptual videos done for it -- there's certainly no shortage of themes and imagery from it that would've allowed for some incredible videos. The loss of strong videos for NIN in general is a big letdown for me; Year Zero especially could have had the most intense, strong, cinematic videos done for it.

marodi
10-28-2015, 10:31 PM
NIN's "true fans".

Wolfkiller
10-29-2015, 12:24 AM
kleiner352 I think a facepalm would have sufficed homie ;)

Good point with the videos though. TR is a grumpy old man who doesn't see the point in music videos ever since the MTV turned to shit.

r_k_f
10-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Jimmy Kimmel performance song selection... Various Methods of Escape (even though I love that song) wasn't a good choice in my opinion... All Time Low sounded great as did Sanctified (that didn't air).. I hope he works with Pino again..

Dr Channard
10-29-2015, 11:22 AM
May have been mentioned before, and really isn’t Trent’s fault, but that the Year Zero HBO series never came to fruition.

I guess that’s more of an HBO disappointment, but nin was associated.

katara
11-06-2015, 08:29 AM
Outside of the album, the Hesitation Marks era - and the last couple of years - have been very disappointing for me. The singles were just that with no additional b-sides or artistic remixes to speak of. There were a couple of 'seeds' that were only available at low bitrates from big name corporations, which is the antithesis of the mantra TR chanted during the Year Zero era. Only a handful of tracks from those two EPs were worth listening to, while in the past, remixes were thoughtfully produced and in many cases actually expanded on the original tracks. The Limited Edition album had some nice cover art but that's about it; the second disc was minimal with forgettable remixes. No interview or b-sides for those who pay for a physical product; those were exclusive to fucking iTunes. I may old, jaded, and a luddite, but I refuse to pay for a fucking mp3.

The Fragile was re-released in instrumental demo form, but again, it was only available in a low quality stream and only from fucking Apple. There's been no word from the NIN camp in a very long time and no reason to explain why he's sided with a single corporation. I am embarrassed to hear his voice promoting their products.

BRoswell
11-06-2015, 08:42 AM
...and no reason to explain why he's sided with a single corporation.

Because he's been an Apple fanboy for years? I thought that was pretty clear. :p

implanted_microchip
11-06-2015, 10:54 AM
The singles were just that with no additional b-sides or artistic remixes to speak of.

Nothing since With Teeth has had pretty much any sort of single release along the lines you're describing (and even then, I've seen people complain about the WT single releases, so arguably since TF). Maybe it's something you don't like, but don't mistake it for anything new and different.

I know a lot of people on here are audiophiles and I'm into vinyl and I get it completely but honestly, when people talk about the "low quality" of some of the streams for things like TF instrumentals, I have got to wonder if any of you have ever heard something at 240p on YouTube before, because that's what awful quality sounds like. Yeah, it'd be great if everything was available in every format all the time, but it's certainly not exclusive to NIN for not doing so and it's not going to be the norm.

Also I disagree on the bonus disc being forgettable, that While I'm Still Here Remix is unbelievable and one of the strongest official remixes in ages, but then again that's all opinion and I can get how someone might not dig it. Not to mention that the limited edition had plenty of extra art and the packaging itself was vastly nicer quality than the standard edition, which in and of itself was a big deal to me.

Bear in mind when it comes to streaming and Apple and all that jazz, in 2007 Spotify and Pandora and Amazon Music and the fuckton of other streaming services weren't dominating the industry like they all do now. Streaming's just the thing. In the same way movies and TV get consumed, music's seeing the same thing happen, and the same bitching goes on there -- people complain something's a Netflix original, or that it's not high enough quality, or what have you. You know people used to seem to act like getting things in the highest quality possible was a privilege and a treat and now people act like it's a right and seem so jaded that they thing something perfectly fine and acceptable is "utter shit" because it's not in a format most people can't even play on whatever they listen to things on that wouldn't sound any different through most speakers or headphones most people are listening through.

If Trent has been aware of anything throughout his career that's helped him sustain to where he's at now and continue being an arena act and a headliner at festivals and an Academy Award Winning Composer (I still get a kick out of being able to say that) it's that you have to adapt and be aware of what the current demands and not kick and fight against it and drown, and in 2007 when digital and torrenting and piracy seemed like the things to do, Trent was all about that shit, because it didn't make sense for anyone to be paying ridiculous prices for a CD in Australia when they could get it for free. You have to compete with free. Now it's all moving towards streaming, and the guy was smart enough to realize that and try and get involved in a streaming service from the ground up that he could be proud of and not get stuck later on having to begrudgingly accept the new norm. He's always been willing to try and learn the new technology, no matter what it was, and that's what's kept him at the front of the things rather than like Billy Corgan who in 2007 said "Let's master an album on tape like the good ole' days!"

I'm not a fan of any particular streaming service and none of them are for me; I'll take my CD rips and vinyl and try and maintain some physical sense of reality because everything being completely abstract totally fucks with my head and sense of value on things (and the way you mention not paying for an MP3 fits that pretty well; it's largely the same content, but because it's not a tangible, real thing, it's hard to feel like it's worth giving money to) but I know I'm not the majority of people alive who like music in the digital age and I'm willing to accept that I won't always be catered to and that's just fine. I really don't care about having some FLAC rip of Copy Of A (Simian Mobile Disco Remix). If anything I'm glad it's not just another cash-grab of a Halo that I have to drop money on to feel like my collection's "complete."

kel
11-06-2015, 11:04 AM
rob sheridan

i have to agree. seeing his smug ass at every show was annoying.

BenAkenobi
11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
... Not to mention that the limited edition had plenty of extra art and the packaging itself was vastly nicer quality than the standard edition, which in and of itself was a big deal to me...

I'm bummed that regular releases had no printed lyrics - are these a "deluxe" thing now?

implanted_microchip
11-06-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm bummed that regular releases had no printed lyrics - are these a "deluxe" thing now?

I'm not a fan of that trend but it seems pretty common for a lot of bands now. I guess it's just labels wanting to cut costs every which way possible, but regardless it's pretty unfortunate. I was pretty irritated that the only release that had lyrics for Like Clockwork was the deluxe vinyl. It can get pretty frustrating. Didn't Welcome Oblivion have the same thing, just no printed lyrics in general?

Deepvoid
11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Seed Eight.

seasonsinthesky
11-06-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm not a fan of that trend but it seems pretty common for a lot of bands now. I guess it's just labels wanting to cut costs every which way possible, but regardless it's pretty unfortunate. I was pretty irritated that the only release that had lyrics for Like Clockwork was the deluxe vinyl. It can get pretty frustrating. Didn't Welcome Oblivion have the same thing, just no printed lyrics in general?

It costs a lot of money to print booklets with that many pages. I suspect with the advent of the accompanying PDF and lyrics ID3 tag with official downloads, TR no longer sees the point in the expense (save super-deluxe artbooks obviously).

katara
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Nothing since With Teeth has had pretty much any sort of single release along the lines you're describing
And that is one reason why I'm disappointed.

Apparently. In my worthless opinion, the Limited Edition packaging should have been standard (just look at The Fragile). It's probably something to do with CDs getting shafted because of the rise of the digital medium. A digital medium that we now don't even own, because we have to stream it from some fat cat corporation's back pocket and pay a monthly fee for the luxury to do so.

kel
11-06-2015, 06:51 PM
releasing a "the perfect drug" single without the actual fucking song.

has this been pointed out already?

Wolfkiller
11-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Plus adding the extended/full song as a B-side on a single barely anybody has. I didn't hear that until probably a decade later. Blew my mind the first time.

katara
11-07-2015, 07:32 AM

This is pretty stupid. However, I am pretty sure there is rare edition of the CD out there with the 5 remixes (not including Aphrodite) plus the original song. Might be just the edit, though.

buckaroo
11-07-2015, 07:56 AM
This is pretty stupid. However, I am pretty sure there is rare edition of the CD out there with the 5 remixes (not including Aphrodite) plus the original song. Might be just the edit, though.

Isn't it only the US version that doesn't have the original version of the song?

Khrz
11-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Isn't it only the US version that doesn't have the original version of the song?

US/UK.

Which is why I feel particularly cheated, because buying a single in EU and ending up with the UK version was in this case sooooo underwhelming.

Oh well, good thing I'm one of those "happy few" morons who did buy the WITT trifecta, so I eventually grabbed that TPD full version...

Deepvoid
11-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh well, good thing I'm one of those "happy few" morons who did buy the WITT trifecta, so I eventually grabbed that TPD full version...

If it makes you feel better, on top of the trifecta, I bought the Japanese version (part 1). Never go on ebay after smoking pot.

seasonsinthesky
11-07-2015, 11:03 AM

Agreed, especially with sentiments about the version with the full ending. But TR fuckin' hates the song! Of course he buried it. Really adds context to the NIN remix – if you wondered why the remix by the original artist was more Lost Highway than the original, well...

Hazekiah
11-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Wasn't the full version of "The Perfect Drug" finally released on the import single for "We're in this Together" so it would be elligible for a Grammy nomination that year? Which it got btw, w00t.

I could SWEAR I remember reading an old SeemsLikeSalvation article about that at the time.

m15a
11-07-2015, 12:38 PM
The Fragile was re-released in instrumental demo form, but again, it was only available in a low quality stream

This isn't true. The Fragile (and With Teeth) instrumentals are downloadable.

"Low quality" is debatable, but it's not like Trent refused to release lossy tracks in the past. And I know some people prefer MP3 over M4A, but even NIN from the Year Zero era (http://dl.nin.com/lightsinthesky/signup) officially referred to lossy MP3s as "high quality":

the EP contains five high quality, DRM-free, fully-tagged MP3 files from a place to bury strangers, does it offend you, yeah?, crystal castles, deerhunter, and nine inch nails

That release seems to follow a pretty similar philosophy to the one used by Apple Music Connect.

BRoswell
11-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Can I just point out that the instrumental tracks for The Downward Spiral and Year Zero that were put up on remix.nin.com are only available as average quality MP3s? They were never offered up in any sort of lossless format, and certainly not as a physical product. Can't seem to remember too many people complaining about that.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Whoa, I somehow forgot that you mentioned that. I'm guessing that it might've been too. I was also very bummed out when I noticed that it wasn't there after listening to it for the very first time. On the other hand, the first 3 tracks became instant favorites.

And from what I recall seeing on NIN Collector, these releases of it had the original version on them. I just checked it out again.

http://www.nincollector.com/archive/releases/halo_11/11_aus_cd_rerelease.htm

http://www.nincollector.com/archive/releases/halo_11/11_jap_cd.htm

http://www.nincollector.com/archive/releases/halo_11/11_jap_cd.htm

kel
01-18-2016, 11:07 PM
i flew to portland (not a big deal -- one hour, wheels up, wheels down) for the lits show in december of 2008 (fun fact: i took my friend and former roommate bryce black from project runway season nine), went out afterwards and wayyy over did it. i had tickets to my home show in boise the next day and was so sick i just couldn't muster the strength.

most of the equipment got left behind in an eastern oregon blizzard and they pulled out a surprising, off-the-cuff show, no crazy theatrics and lights. that, right there, will go down as one of my biggest regrets in life.

Dryalex12
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Even though I love all NIN the same as a whole.....Broken is my least fave....I love the anger and the GAHAHAHAH it has but........thats all it is, there isnt any other emotion but anger...I still love it but....just pure rage

Another thing is 10 miles high...it just kinda changes up to much. it should of stayed like Hello, everything is not okay.....wait a minute havnt i heard that before....

eversonpoe
01-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Even though I love all NIN the same as a whole.....Broken is my least fave....I love the anger and the GAHAHAHAH it has but........thats all it is, there isnt any other emotion but anger...I still love it but....just pure rage

i disagree. i think that anger is the prime emotion present, but there are other nuances. physical and suck, especially, are quite sexy to me. help me i am in hell has a great sense of desperation, which also comes through in many of the other songs, particularly last and gave up.

Dryalex12
01-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Help Me is my fave song on that ep too. I still love it

xcore
01-31-2016, 03:23 PM
copy of a sucks

GibbonBlack
01-31-2016, 03:48 PM
copy of a sucks

Have you seen it live in person? It's mind blowing in that setting.

xcore
01-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Have you seen it live in person? It's mind blowing in that setting. That doesn't do the trick for me. Even worse: bores me to death!

Halo Infinity
02-03-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm over it now, but not seeing Burn on Closure when I watched it for the first very first time in 2004, but even then, it was just a minor disappointment anyway.

WTFisright!
06-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Witnessing firsthand the arrogance and elitist attitudes of so many "long-time" fans in lines going to shows. That was very disappointing. If you're a TR fan, you'd know that he hates self-absorbed, better-than-though, arrogant assholes.

FernandoDante
06-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Canceling shows in Brazil
Tension DVD
Apple Music

SarahConnor
08-21-2016, 09:29 PM
i flew to portland (not a big deal -- one hour, wheels up, wheels down) for the lits show in december of 2008 (fun fact: i took my friend and former roommate bryce black from project runway season nine), went out afterwards and wayyy over did it. i had tickets to my home show in boise the next day and was so sick i just couldn't muster the strength.

most of the equipment got left behind in an eastern oregon blizzard and they pulled out a surprising, off-the-cuff show, no crazy theatrics and lights. that, right there, will go down as one of my biggest regrets in life.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2008/idaho-center-arena-nampa-id-2bd6847a.html

I didn't go to concerts on my own yet, think I was 16 and naïve, wet behind the ears individual. ...and I couldn't get anyone to commit to go see Spiral or Bowie in St. Louis and those are two instances I disappoint myself regarding this band.

totom
08-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Not getting HM multitracks released. I had a good concept for a mashup album, I even found ideas for each song from the album... anyway, I might have found an even better concept since... :)

center27j
08-23-2016, 12:32 PM
lack of setlist variations...i'm not talking about show to show, tour to tour it has been rather stagnant.

elevenism
08-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Not getting HM multitracks released. I had a good concept for a mashup album, I even found ideas for each song from the album... anyway, I might have found an even better concept since... :)
oh man i am excited. i love your work.

Deepvoid
08-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Missing that show (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/1995/montreal-forum-montreal-qc-canada-33d6d8c1.html).
I actually discovered NIN shortly after this show.
I was 13-14 so I don't think I would have been able to attend by myself anyways.
What a setlist ...

Failure
09-12-2016, 01:14 PM
June 24th, 2005. The wife and I trekked all the way to Interlaken, Switzerland for the Greenfield Festival. NIN and QOTSA were set to play back to back on the first night (with a "washed up, shitty band" called Die Toten Hosen headlining). But the skies opened up and all of DTH's gear fell on top of all NIN's guitars (and Queens too). The performances were cancelled and it was one of the more devastating moments of my life. I tried to negotiate a refund, but the promoters only spoke German. It was bad enough that all the money was wasted, but With Teeth had just come out and I hadn't seen NIN since 2000. I have never into a band as much as I was NIN back in like 2005/2006. So it still stings thinking about it.

Shadaloo
09-16-2016, 03:03 PM
-Looking at my FDTS US CD after I got the UK import and hearing Ruiner (Version) and Heresy (Version) for the first time

-My baby brother taking a pair of scissors to my WITT single inlays many years ago

-The Meathead perspective shutting down

-Soon

PhoenixML
09-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Today was disappointing. There was no single.

implanted_microchip
09-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Today was disappointing. There was no single.

I don't understand why anyone was expecting one

botley
09-16-2016, 05:06 PM
*shrug* I heard a brand new Trent Reznor song today (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4232-Before-the-Flood?p=316749#post316749).

SM Rollinger
09-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Cuz its DIVE & SLAM Y0 CONFIRMED ITUN3$$$ EXCLUSIVE COMING SOON

BenAkenobi
09-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Cuz its DIVE & SLAM Y0 CONFIRMED ITUN3$$$ EXCLUSIVE COMING SOON

SLAM Y0 CONFIRMED

Y0

What do you know about Year Zero?

buckaroo
09-19-2016, 10:18 AM
*shrug* I heard a brand new Trent Reznor song today (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4232-Before-the-Flood?p=316749#post316749).

I'm really surprised nobody is really talking about this. Is there any confirmation about this track?

tony.parente
09-19-2016, 12:31 PM
All of 2016.

ugh

billpulsipher
09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
All of 2016.

ugh

and 2015...and for that matter 2014...2013..2012...2011...2010....my last great NIN moment was the wave goodbye tour 09 and Trents social media tirades (also 2009)

dvdglss
09-19-2016, 02:35 PM
that really sucks....

June 24th, 2005. The wife and I trekked all the way to Interlaken, Switzerland for the Greenfield Festival. NIN and QOTSA were set to play back to back on the first night (with a "washed up, shitty band" called Die Toten Hosen headlining). But the skies opened up and all of DTH's gear fell on top of all NIN's guitars (and Queens too). The performances were cancelled and it was one of the more devastating moments of my life. I tried to negotiate a refund, but the promoters only spoke German. It was bad enough that all the money was wasted, but With Teeth had just come out and I hadn't seen NIN since 2000. I have never into a band as much as I was NIN back in like 2005/2006. So it still stings thinking about it.

Christian
10-02-2016, 07:09 AM
1. The Spiral fan club
2. Come Back Haunted video
3. Alex Carapetis
4. Girls doing backing vocals (this should be just guys doing it wrong, like that JLYI rehearsals video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtn2fOrUXgw))
5. The Slip vinyl mixing (the guitars are too loud)
6. Not a particular moment, but the old feeling that "the next album will blow my mind", the antecipation. Since With Teeth everything seems "uninspired". Of course I love some tracks like "Home", "My Violent Heart", "Head Down" and "Various Methods of Escape" but, for me, the rest of the songs are just like "I need an album to tour, so let's record anything. I am a genious, anyway! Everybody will love my music". Fragile was the last album that I heard and thought like "man, this guy is and alien! I want to be like him when I grow up". The way the music direction changed from PHM > Broken > TDS > The Perfect Drug > Fragile was something unpredictable.

Bookmark
10-02-2016, 07:30 AM
The announcement of another score instead of a new NIN album...

bobbie solo
10-02-2016, 11:04 AM
The announcement of another score instead of a new NIN album...

moreso for me, this particular score. Before The Flood I can get behind completely, as well as the Juno Project.

Bookmark
10-02-2016, 11:17 AM
moreso for me, this particular score. Before The Flood I can get behind completely, as well as the Juno Project.

Yeah, you hit the point. The new score seems a bit like an arbitrary choice where as the other projects seem more special so to speak. I dont know the film but it looks quite trivial... Wait and see...

tony.parente
10-02-2016, 12:07 PM
I guess it's just quicker, easier, pays better, there's less pressure from fans/critics and there's no touring required when he does a score instead of a nin album. This fucking sucks.

eversonpoe
10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I guess it's just quicker, easier, pays better, there's less pressure from fans/critics and there's no touring required when he does a score instead of a nin album. This fucking sucks.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/14/141fda9d1ff80a39b5795f4ef5134f9ec3bc496a6441e52339 9a88eaadf324ca.jpg

didn't you hate hesitation marks? why are you so keen for a new NIN album that you're probably going to dislike?

personally, i'll take all the scores i can get. i listen to them more often and enjoy them more than about 50% of the NIN catalog (aside from ghosts, which is my favorite).

more on topic - i'm disappointed that trent lost interest in 5.1 releases. the blu-ray of the social network score is phenomenal, and i would KILL for Ghosts, The Slip, TGWTDT, Gone Girl, and Hesitation Marks all in 5.1

tony.parente
10-02-2016, 10:07 PM
didn't you hate hesitation marks? why are you so keen for a new NIN album that you're probably going to dislike?

Hesitation Marks was the only pile of shit that Trent ever released IMO, everyone slips every once in awhile.

GibbonBlack
10-02-2016, 10:34 PM
more on topic - i'm disappointed that trent lost interest in 5.1 releases.

Bjork too :( 5.1 music is really great and it sucks that it's going/gone away

Hyperpower
10-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Hesitation Marks was the only pile of shit that Trent ever released IMO, everyone slips every once in awhile.

yeah but (i think and he can come and elaborate on his point) hes probably getting at that TR should take his time with whatever the next NIN album happens to be seeing as there seemed to be such a 50-50 response to HM...so yeah maybe he should take longer (yeah i want a new NIN album asap but first and foremost i want quality from him as hes always delivered) even if it means no new NIN til 2018.

maybe a more disappointing moment happened/is happening over the last week or so with the different responses to these various soundtracks and other works here at ETS.
some people want new NIN while some others want quality NIN, the question may be, does TR think the quality is/was there a month or two after that tweet about new NIN in 2016? perhaps thats why we haven't gotten new NIN and of course the radio silence from TR/NIN hasn't helped the situation either.

yeah disappointing all around.

tony.parente
10-02-2016, 10:51 PM
yeah but (i think and he can come and elaborate on his point) hes probably getting at that TR should take his time with whatever the next NIN album happens to be seeing as there seemed to be such a 50-50 response to HM...so yeah maybe he should take longer (yeah i want a new NIN album asap but first and foremost i want quality from him as hes always delivered) even if it means no new NIN til 2018.

The Slip was written and recorded in something like 2 or 3 weeks if I remember properly, and that album was dope.

implanted_microchip
10-02-2016, 11:04 PM
The way that it seems like to put it in order of priority the tweet should have read "Other stuff 2016. New NIN, too."

BenAkenobi
10-03-2016, 12:15 AM
(space reserved for crying in disappointment if the soundtrack to terrorist movie won't be 100 times heavier than Quake soundtrack)

witte
10-03-2016, 07:02 AM
correct, same for 'the slip'.
listened again to hm after more than a year. even it's shit, the arrangements of the songs are high quality. something i cannot disagree. even shit sounds good when trent touches it...

Kulerage
10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Pretty disappointed that Hesitation Marks had a very low amount of guitar. Hopefully the next album has more to it.

Krazy
10-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Pretty disappointed that Hesitation Marks had a very low amount of guitar. Hopefully the next album has more to it.

Was more disappointed with the generic beats/percussion on HM than the guitars.

billpulsipher
10-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Slip was shit too as far as production. Sounded like it was recorded on a tascam 4 track

Volband
10-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Slip was shit too as far as production. Sounded like it was recorded on a tascam 4 track
True, but at least it was deliberate. I'm not saying if something is intentionally bad it's 10/10 quality art, but unlike Hesitation Marks, The Slip has excuses to its weaknesses. HM has a bunch of good and/or interesting ideas, but the production of the songs is beyond terrible. Trent tried way too hard to be edgy this time. The record lacks an identity, it's just a collection of a bunch of "this was meant to be a HTDA song but I got other ideas along the way" plus Everything.

Khrz
10-05-2016, 12:15 PM

And that's the way uh-huh ah-hah I like it.

buckaroo
10-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Having Vessel instead of The Great Destroyer on "the gift" releases.

Patrick_Nicholas
10-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Josh Eustis, who does stuff like this (https://sonsofmagdalene.bandcamp.com/album/move-to-pain), mostly doing rhythm guitar on Tension (though I liked his bass playing on the festival tour).

Mutilated
10-24-2016, 02:32 AM
Josh Eustis, who does stuff like this (https://sonsofmagdalene.bandcamp.com/album/move-to-pain), mostly doing rhythm guitar on Tension (though I liked his bass playing on the festival tour).

Before that tour started, when the lineup was announced, I thought there was gonna be a duel electronic setup on stage, with Alessandro and Josh both continuously on keys/synths. Would have been awesome.

ziltoid
10-24-2016, 11:22 AM
The never released art book for With Teeth that Trent mentioned a long time ago and said that it would come out and never did.
And, the music book that Trent also said might come out for The Fragile that never materialized.
While I'm at it I might as well mention my disappointment that The Fragile 5.1 that Trent keeps teasing still hasn't been released even though it already done.

katara
12-12-2016, 09:16 AM
After over eleven-and-a-half years, my physical [WITH_TEETH] CD has not 'developed' as TR said it would (http://www.nin.wiki/images/6/62/Questions01.gif). The package is the same, and it still doesn't have a fucking booklet.

buckaroo
12-12-2016, 09:27 AM
After over eleven-and-a-half years, my physical [WITH_TEETH] CD has not 'developed' as TR said it would (http://www.nin.wiki/images/6/62/Questions01.gif). The package is the same, and it still doesn't have a fucking booklet.

Yeah, since it is taking basically FOREVER for The Fragile deluxe edition it would be nice to release some sort of deluxe version of With Teeth to tide us over. That album has really stood up over time.

Ryan
12-12-2016, 10:24 AM

Maybe it was metaphorical and he meant the album comes with_teeth, then ages, then the teeth fall out and your package isn't the same because it no longer has teeth or whateverimjusttallingutterbullshitLOL

BenAkenobi
12-12-2016, 11:46 AM
... The package is the same, and it still doesn't have a fucking booklet.

I can mail you a fucking booklet that came with a pirate CD :)

Microwave Jellyfish
12-12-2016, 12:38 PM
my physical [WITH_TEETH] CD has not 'developed' as TR said it would (http://www.nin.wiki/images/6/62/Questions01.gif).
No, he wrote "your package". It's not about the CD, he's using puberty as a metaphor for the changing industry.

katara
12-12-2016, 03:46 PM
No, he wrote "your package". It's not about the CD, he's using puberty as a metaphor for the changing industry.
That's true, and I'm sure it's intentional. However, he also refers to the physical CD as a "package" several times prior in the same body of text. But my point stands that the packaging is sorely lacking for the release, and neither it nor my biological 'package' have really changed all that much (if at all) since 2005. And in terms of the industry, it hasn't matured, it's just gotten worse. Crappy mp3s are in the process of being replaced with even crappier soul-sucking subscription streaming services, and high street music stores have almost completely vanished. Special physical editions with beautiful presentations still exist, yet [WITH_TEETH] is not one of them. The digipak is nice... but for the collector, there's not a huge amount to it, and that's just a little bit disappointing. It's also hypocritical; two years later, Year Zero had a full-blown physical release with extensive liner notes, thermal discs, not to mention the fucking (awesome) ARG. Hell, even The Slip had better packaging than [WITH_TEETH], and that album was shat out in only three weeks.

ryanmcfly
12-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Having gone to both the Austin and Dallas NIN shows in 2014, I was very disappointed in the fact that they played the exact same setlist at each show. I hoped that each of the three Texas shows would have gotten different sets, but only Houston was different. Also disappointed in the lack of live releases from NIN2013-2014 and the Wave Goodbye tour.