PDA

View Full Version : Tori Amos covers Something I Can Never Have, discussion ensues

Charmingly Miserable
08-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Tori fucking covered Something I Can Never Have (http://instagram.com/p/rbA-wHjssV/?modal=true). I'm dying here. Hope that will be up on youtube soon.

nooneimportant
08-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Tori fucking covered Something I Can Never Have (http://instagram.com/p/rbA-wHjssV/?modal=true). I'm dying here. Hope that will be up on youtube soon.

Apparently only played in Cleveland too, probably due to a certain someone being from there....

WorzelG
08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Found this on twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4UyJOPFEbg&feature=youtu.be

arsenic
08-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Found this on twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4UyJOPFEbg&feature=youtu.be

another video, starts at 3.45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiAAJZKgPBo

katara
08-09-2014, 11:47 AM
another video, starts at 3.45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiAAJZKgPBo
"Scrapping through my head"???? Nice pronunciation there.

Charmingly Miserable
08-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I thought Tori's rendition was pretty good. It's way better than the Flyleaf cover.

icecream
08-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks for raping my ears. This is horrible, I got Ebola by just watching this.
How could you think it was bad? It makes me want to check out Tori's material.

Charmingly Miserable
08-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Tori is awesome live.

icecream
08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Tori is awesome live.
I have heard very little of her material. What should a new fan check out first?

Vertigo
08-09-2014, 05:41 PM
I've always had a hard time getting my head around someone named Tori playing sensitive piano-heavy ballads. I avoid the material because I know I'll be disappointed not to hear the "crunch" of a California blonde suplexing someone through the Spanish announcers' table.

There, had my stupid post for the day, I can go to bed now.

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Even as a Tori fan I'm not really warming up to her version of SICNH. The song is already top-heavy with drama without adding to it.

Though I do like what she did with "if I had a heart."

Ryan
08-09-2014, 06:17 PM
I didn't like the lyric changes... didn't like it at all really. To each their own.

eversonpoe
08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
I have heard very little of her material. What should a new fan check out first?

"from the choirgirl hotel" was the first album i got of hers, and fell in love. "to venus and back" is pretty good because she covers a few different styles on the studio half, and the live disc is just...fucking incredible.

elevenism
08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
just hang out with angsty women who grew up in the 90s. Trust me, they will make you listen to it. ;)
then some fiona apple.

sheepdean
08-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I say go the way every NIN fan does, Under The Pink because Trent's on it.

billpulsipher
08-09-2014, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2ixnqwoWo

at least its not tori amos

MrSlfDstruct
08-09-2014, 09:34 PM
I've always had a hard time getting my head around someone named Tori playing sensitive piano-heavy ballads. I avoid the material because I know I'll be disappointed not to hear the "crunch" of a California blonde suplexing someone through the Spanish announcers' table.

This is the best thing I've read today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2ixnqwoWo

at least its not tori amos

I'm a huge fan of Corey Taylor, he's one of my favorite vocalists. I just don't think he's that accomplished of a guitar player to make his solo stuff extremely interesting, and a lot of it kind of ends up sounding like Happy Hour Jones, to quote Bubba The Love Sponge, because of it.

Ryan
08-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Everyone is doing SICNH live but Trent.
Why Trent?

You likey my recording? The end gets especially emotive:

"Ever...ever.......ever....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdclR6YMye4&fmt=22

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Holy fuck. That's even better than the version on Still. :eek:

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
08-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Tori's version looks like exactly what it is, a crazy ass ex-girlfriend! I like some of her stuff but the just seems like a girlfriend who would haunt you, never really get over you and still thinking about you years later. I think the lyric changes make it especially creepy too!

jessamineny
08-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Tori's version looks like exactly what it is, a crazy ass ex-girlfriend! I like some of her stuff but the just seems like a girlfriend who would haunt never really get over you and still thinking about you years later. I think the lyric changes make it especially creepy too!

Could you supply some tangible reasoning please?

allegro
08-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I don't think we have any evidence of any sex, here, do we? I thought he friend zoned her.

halo eighteen
08-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Some backstory here:

This wasn't a random performance. Tori meets her fans before every show and takes requests. I was able to meet her about a week before the Cleveland show and I had the balls/courage/whatever to request this song. Almost every single Tori fan that I talked to about this afterwards respected my determination (or audacity even), but thought there wasn't a chance in hell of it happening for me. Tori's initial response proved otherwise though. She was not offended.. more like thrown off guard perhaps. After a long delay of her racking her brain thinking of the song, all she said was "good song" and then wanted to know what other shows I was doing. I knew there was a chance, if only a slight one.

It took a couple more chance encounters, one of which involved me getting another fan to ask for the song as well. Eventually, it culminated in me meeting her again before the Cleveland show and having a very personal, poignant, interesting, and just all around fucking awesome conversation with her about a variety of topics including Maynard's wines.. and Trent. And again, a final push for the song. And then she actually did it later that night.

I don't know what happened between them 20 years ago, and I don't really fucking care. It's a great song. I always knew she'd knock a cover of it out of the park. It's even better than I imagined it. Yes, she pronounced some words weird. Yes, she takes liberties with the lyrics. That's part of the charm of ANY Tori cover. I won't deny that there's some deeper things going on here with the changes, but that's what really takes it to another level.

Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there that this was a special request. It'll (likely) never happen again. And that's fine. Honestly, I didn't even expect anyone else in the venue to know the song, much less give it the standing ovation she received afterwards. It was a very special thing for me to witness, and I'm still elated. That's all.

bobbie solo
08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Could you supply some tangible reasoning please?

you can tell she's just waiting for you to give her ANYTHING to unload on you with haha

bobbie solo
08-10-2014, 07:50 PM
that's friggin awesome even if you were only a small % of the reason she chose to do it.

jessamineny
08-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Some backstory here:

This wasn't a random performance. <snip>

I really didn't like the song (I'm not much of a fan of Tori live, though... I know, I know), but I love your story. That's awesome!!

you can tell she's just waiting for you to give her ANYTHING to unload on you with haha

If I was going to do that, I would have easily already done it. Thanks for playing, though!

Yoshata
08-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Some backstory here:

*post*

That is completely awesome. Loved your backstory and I feel the same way as you about the history/her style of playing. Thank you for posting this. :)

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
08-11-2014, 02:17 AM
All I am going to say is that Tori has some damn good PR people working the ETS boards.

tony.parente
08-11-2014, 02:34 AM
All I am going to say is that Tori has some damn good PR people working the ETS boards.

Agreed.
That cover was an absolute abortion.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
08-11-2014, 02:59 AM
Agreed.
That cover was an absolute abortion.

And they made up that story about requesting the song so it didn't seem like she was a psycho ex. Very nice PR company, you must be the guys who work with BP!

Sarah K
08-11-2014, 04:46 AM
I really didn't care for this at all. Which is disappointing because so many people have been telling me how good Tori is, and she is on my list of people to check out. But this is pretty discouraging.

tony.parente
08-11-2014, 04:51 AM
I really didn't care for this at all. Which is disappointing because so many people have been telling me how good Tori is, and she is on my list of people to check out. But this is pretty discouraging.

After this, she is on my list of people to blast into the sun...which also includes Beyonce, Adelle and Gaga.

WorzelG
08-11-2014, 05:13 AM
I think she sounds better on this when she is putting passion into the performance rather than being vocally 'quirky'. It's quite up and down like that

tony.parente
08-11-2014, 05:31 AM
I think she sounds better on this when she is putting passion into the performance rather than being vocally 'quirky'. It's quite up and down like that

She just comes off as some psudo intellectual who would speak to you in a fake british accent.

ambergris
08-11-2014, 06:00 AM
She sounds like Kate Bush there.

fillow
08-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Not a Tori fan at all, bit the cover's okay. I've seen much worse.

Reznor2112
08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but that cover was sexy.

halo33
08-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I saw Tori Amos many times back in the mid 90's, and she was always great live. When she started playing with a full live band was when I stopped seeing her. (also, couldn't really get into her albums after Boys For Pele) But since its been about 15 years, she's back to just her and a piano, and her setlists have been very cool, I bought tickets for her show on Wednesday.

What drives me nuts is all the screaming fans after she delivers every single line of a song. Like, just let her sing the damn song. It annoys me almost as much as people who clap along to Hurt.

Bmw1185
08-11-2014, 11:36 AM
What drives me nuts is all the screaming fans after she delivers every single line of a song. Like, just let her sing the damn song. It annoys me almost as much as people who clap along to Hurt.

Agreed. Everytime I'm at a show and people clap during Hurt, it reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where the hitchhikers just clap and say "Sing!" while Harry and Lloyd sing Mockingbird. Pisses me off.

Charmingly Miserable
08-11-2014, 05:45 PM
I am a huge Tori fan. This cover is right in line with her other covers. I think she did any amazing job here. For those who are unfamiliar with her live shows, this is exactly in line with all her covers. She puts her own spin on it and I think it worked. Go listen to Strange Little Girls. Her cover of Eminem's '97 Bonnie & Clyde is absolutely chilling.

FernandoDante
08-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Since this is now the SICNH thread, I'd like to state that the 2009 version of the song was really badass. The more subdued ending (no drums) was fantastic, and in some ways felt even sadder than the slightly over-the-top ending from the 2005-07 version - the one on BYIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBzH8hUZc8

The 2014 version (which I recently found out about) maintains a similar structure, but you can't hear Robin's pedal steel quite as well in the end. A shame, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heU-jmkz7Jk

Yoshata
08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
I am a huge Tori fan. This cover is right in line with her other covers. I think she did any amazing job here. For those who are unfamiliar with her live shows, this is exactly in line with all her covers. She puts her own spin on it and I think it worked. Go listen to Strange Little Girls. Her cover of Eminem's '97 Bonnie & Clyde is absolutely chilling.

Seconded! She does a lot of amazing covers on her official bootlegs (check Wikipedia). She also has covers from earlier in her career that are incredible - her version of "Angie" by the Rolling Stones is one of my favorites.

Charmingly Miserable
08-11-2014, 11:53 PM
My favorite covers of hers are Velvet Underground's New Age and Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat.

tfang
08-12-2014, 12:24 AM
She did a pretty decent cover of Depeche Mode's In Your Room when in Portland a few weeks back. One of the high points of her set that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3RR-9dxkA

starts around 5 min

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 02:40 AM
I really like Under the Pink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7LEe-doi4k

Going to see her next Friday!

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 02:45 AM
I saw Tori Amos many times back in the mid 90's, and she was always great live. When she started playing with a full live band was when I stopped seeing her. (also, couldn't really get into her albums after Boys For Pele) But since its been about 15 years, she's back to just her and a piano, and her setlists have been very cool, I bought tickets for her show on Wednesday.

I've seen her several times over the past ten years. Sometimes she plays with a band and it's more of a rock concert, sometimes she's solo and on one tour she was backed by an orchestra.

Check out Unrepentant Geraldines if you haven't already. It's easily one of her best later-day albums.

theimage13
08-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Mmm, disagree. The version on Still doesn't have a bunch of out of key fangirls screaming along. This would probably would've sounded great as a soundboard, or shot from further back in the audience. But oy.

halo33
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Check out Unrepentant Geraldines if you haven't already. It's easily one of her best later-day albums.

I have, and I agree. The first couple of songs are kinda meh, but it really starts to pick up from there. Pleasantly surprised!

Omega
08-12-2014, 09:34 AM

'I f---ing love you Trent!'...how about shut the heck up? Ugh.

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM
There were a couple of songs I liked, but overall I couldn't get into it. As far as recent albums go, I liked Night of Hunters a lot, weird as it is.

I'm still ignorant of the whole 1996–2009 period, except for Strange Little Girls. Research time. :)

ilari
08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
'I f---ing love you Trent!'...how about shut the heck up? Ugh.

I feel like that every NIN show I've ever been to I've been within about 10 feet of someone who has to squeal this after every third song.

I mean, what do you think is the upshot of screaming this?

"Trent, I love youuuuuu!"
"I heard that! Oh, you do? Really!? Well in that case, do you want to run away together?"

Anyway, that's my kids on my lawn rant for the day.

GulDukat
08-13-2014, 01:25 AM
There were a couple of songs I liked, but overall I couldn't get into it. As far as recent albums go, I liked Night of Hunters a lot, weird as it is.

I'm still ignorant of the whole 1996–2009 period, except for Strange Little Girls. Research time. :)
I like NOH too.

As for 1996 to 2009, Boys for Pele is easily my favorite and The Beekeeper is my least favorite.

This article is worth reading, all albums ranked:

http://www.metroweekly.com/2013/08/tori-amos-turns-50-her-album/

noneofthem
08-15-2014, 05:03 AM
I always liked Tori Amos and her covers. This one is an exception. It was hard to listen to her sing that song, which I love so much.

DigitalChaos
08-15-2014, 05:54 PM
She covered Creep a couple days ago. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GWb08RtuDc

Ryan
08-15-2014, 07:30 PM

At the 4:18 / 4:19 mark when he screams the "and I'm starting to scare myself" and his voice cracks slightly, gets me every time. So much real emotion.

hb13161705
08-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I liked Tori Amos for a while, I have her Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink albums on my shelf. I was seventeen when she was the first concert I ever saw. Then for some reason I stopped listening to her.

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
For my Monday commute I'll be revisiting Under the Pink (haven't heard it in a while), and then it's on to Boys For Pele and From the Choir Girl Hotel.

nobies
08-16-2014, 10:38 PM
She just comes off as some psudo intellectual who would speak to you in a fake british accent. what does this even mean

tony.parente
08-16-2014, 11:07 PM
what does this even mean
It means she comes off as the type of person who speaks in a fake British accent about her poetry in a vain attempt at sounding intelligent.
Like Madonna

lordfalconer
08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
It means she comes off as the type of person who speaks in a fake British accent about her poetry in a vain attempt at sounding intelligent.
Like Madonna
Fuck me you are an idiot.
Tori Amos is far from being as vapid as Madonna.

allegro
08-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Fuck me you are an idiot.
Tori Amos is far from being as vapid as Madonna.
Madonna is actually very intelligent.

tony.parente
08-19-2014, 02:39 AM
I want that time back. I hate that you posted this. Tori killed it.

You're right.
Tori did kill it.
She fucking murdered it.
She sucked the life out of it.
The song is dead now because of her.

nxtort
08-19-2014, 02:51 AM
You're right.
Tori did kill it.
She fucking murdered it.
She sucked the life out of it.
The song is dead now because of her.

ok, so some people enjoy this cover some don't I guess

tony.parente
08-19-2014, 03:10 AM
ok, so some people enjoy this cover some don't I guess

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who posted the new taylor swift video in the controversial music opinions thread and talked about how he liked it so take it with a grain of salt.

hobochic
08-19-2014, 03:31 AM
Like Madonna

...and Willow Smith:
@00:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2v_Bm7O9Y

tony.parente
08-19-2014, 03:35 AM
...and Willow Smith:
@00:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2v_Bm7O9Y
Aaaaahaha what the hell is up with the Smith children.

eversonpoe
08-19-2014, 08:30 AM
can we please lock this thread? nothing worthwhile is being discussed here.

hobochic
08-19-2014, 09:59 AM
can we please lock this thread? nothing worthwhile is being discussed here.

Hey, you might be right, and perhaps this thread should be locked, but your way of talking above our heads like what we're saying isn't "worthwhile" kinda sucks, and it's that attitude that kills off the spirit of fun forums. We're kinda having a good time here, not curing cancer. Cheers.

eversonpoe
08-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Hey, you might be right, and perhaps this thread should be locked, but your way of talking above our heads like what we're saying isn't "worthwhile" kinda sucks, and it's that attitude that kills off the spirit of fun forums. We're kinda having a good time here, not curing cancer. Cheers.

i meant that it feels like people are just going back and forth shitting on each other...idunno. there's also a tori amos thread for discussions about that.

WorzelG
10-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Mention is made of this Tori Amos cover of SICNH in this article on PHM
http://thequietus.com/articles/16461-nine-inch-nails-nin-pretty-hate-machine-review-anniversary

I've listened to it a few times now, and it gets better with each listen, very emotional

The_Prowler
10-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I also can't say that I hated it. While I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it very often, I can appreciate what she did with it to make it her own (if you want to hear the song exactly how it was recorded, go listen to the original, not a cover). As a "Nine Inch Nails cover", I'd say it's fair to decent, but as a "Tori Amos song", it's actually pretty good... if that makes any sense to anyone other than me.

That all being said, it's a hell of a lot better than fucking Linkin Park and Beatstix doing Wish.

The_Prowler
11-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Shit, did I kill the thread? I hate when that happens >.<