12-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Haven't seen a whole lot his year, but from what I have seen:

1. Birdman
2. Gone Girl
3. Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Nightcrawler
5. Boyhood
6. Interstellar

Definitely still gotta see Inherent Vice before final decisions are made.

As for TV: Fargo, True Detective, the most recent season of South Park and the fourth season of Louie were all great.

thevoid99
12-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Here's my list which is more based on films that premiered on the year 2014: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/the-best-of-2014/

onthewall2983
12-03-2014, 12:19 AM
BTW, I strongly suggest to watch the video up top. It's a very nicely edited montage of the year's films (the top 5 especially, which I think will go well quite over here).

ManBurning
12-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Excellent! Just the thread I was looking for. I always struggle with finding good new movies to watch these days, and usually rely on people's end of the year lists here on ETS.
As for my list? It's incredibly laughable, so I will spare you the details of it... I only came up with 3 movies anyway. Was kind of a weak year for movies. (from what i've seen anyway, there are probably some hidden gems in these lists that will make me able to form a solid top 10 after sifting through some stuff here).

Regarding TV, I usually don't watch TV. This year was the first time since 2004 I gave anything TV related a chance, and it was only because I loved Fargo the movie so much, that I decided to give the TV series a spin and thought it was fantastic. From there, moved onto Bojack Horseman which I am currently half way through the season, and once again loving it.

Was recommended to watch True Detective from some friends, so that will probably be next on my list of TV shows to tackle.

thelastdisciple
12-03-2014, 01:02 PM
My top 10:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Edge of Tomorrow
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Fault in Our Stars
The Lego Movie
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Godzilla
Chef

In total I've seen 42 films and they're all ranked here: http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?year=2014&user=thelastdisciple&perpage=50

I still have yet to see (at least of what films left in the year that interest me in some way) : Birdman, Whiplash, Nightcrawler, Gone Girl, Interstellar, Big Hero 6, The Book of Life, The Boxtrolls, Exodus: Gods And Kings, The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, American Sniper, Wild, Unbroken, Big Eyes, John Wick, Lucy

EDIT: Forgot about still having yet to see Only Lovers Left Alive (although technically it's a 2013 film) and The Raid 2: Berandal.

henryeatscereal
12-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Grad Budapest Hotel was awesome, well deserved 1st spot

implanted_microchip
12-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I've not gotten to see Birdman, Whiplash or Nightcrawler yet, and Inherent Vice is bound to end up in a top 10 if not top 5, so I really don't want to pull the trigger on films yet. Way too much I've not checked out, been a lot of big blockbuster type of theater goings for me this year (which isn't a bad thing, but most of them won't settle in as favorites by any means; as much as I might enjoy the new X-Men movie or Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.). Also I managed to miss Budapest Hotel, still need to see it, as I've said I just feel that to make a list for it now would be premature since I know it would change radically and be practically unrecognizable after seeing the things I've unfortunately missed.

So with that said I guess I'll do my top shows of the year, since that's something I've not really missed much of that I'd be interested in:

Mad Men

Hannibal

True Detective

Louie

Fargo

No particular order. Fargo and True Detective are stand-alone things, so I wouldn't want to compare them against something like Hannibal or Mad Men which are on-going stories, but between the two I'd definitely put TD above Fargo (not that Fargo isn't amazing too, True Detective just stunned me). Hannibal is definitely my favorite on-going drama right now, for sure, and Louie is my top comedy, although it's almost hard to call a comedy at this rate since it's been so artsy and serious (I must've cried two or three times this recent season, it took me to places I just did not expect or felt prepared for considering this is the same show that's collectively spent at least an hour on masturbation jokes).

Charmingly Miserable
12-04-2014, 12:07 AM
I didn't see too many movies this year but I would have to say that Grand Budapest Hotel, Gone Girl and The Theory of Everything, and the Lego Movie were my favorites.

That video was superb. Kudos to the editor.

Millionaire
12-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Jodorowsky's Dune is my favorite film of the year.

As for others, I'm not sure which ones I've seen this year were 2014 films, but I liked:
Boyhood
The Grandmaster
Under the Skin
John Wick
It Felt Like Love
Why Don't You Play in Hell
The Raid 2
Only Lovers Left Alive
Godzilla(nostalgia is a hell of a drug)
Edge of Tomorrow
Guardians of the Galaxy
Snowpiercer
The Wind Rises
Cold in July

Haven't seen Inherent Vice, Two Days One Night, Dance of Reality, or Map to the Stars yet, but those directors have a good track record with me so I'm looking forward to them.

littlemonkey613
12-04-2014, 03:13 PM
In no order really

Interstellar
Gone Girl
Lego Movie
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy (good fuckin year for marvel well done)
Fault in Our Stars

Mad Men

GulDukat
12-06-2014, 03:54 AM
I didn't see too many films this year, but I did really like Gone Girl.

Substance242
12-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Edge of Tomorrrow.
(But have not seen Gone Girl yet...)

GulDukat
12-06-2014, 09:43 AM
I for one am shocked that no one has mentioned Kirk Cameron Saves Christmas ​as their favorite movie of the year.

Collin
01-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Whiplash, holy shit! that movie blew my mind.

Updated list:

1. Birdman
2. Whiplash
3. Gone Girl
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
5. Interstellar
6. Inherent Vice
7. Boyhood
8. Foxcatcher
9. Nightcrawler
10. Guardians of the Galaxy

dlb
01-15-2015, 08:08 AM
I yet have to catch up on so many movies as I haven't watched much this year. But here's what did stuck with me:

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Gone Girl
3. Guardings of the Galaxy
4. Godzilla
5. How to Train your Dragon 2
6. Only Lovers left Alive
7. Locke
8. the Babadook
9. Jersey Boys

Biggest dissappointments:
Monuments Men
Fury

I was ready for two very different war movies but both lacked in everything what I did want from them. Some great moments still, but overall quite mediocre.

What I still have to see:
Bird Man
The Imitation Game
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
A Most wanted Man

Favorite TV-show:
Hannibal (I don't overall love it, but it's gripping, has it's beautiful moments and the end to season 02 was pretty amazing)
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
the Leftovers (I pretty much disliked it, but stuck because of Theroux)

Swykk
01-15-2015, 08:25 AM
01 Captain America: Winter Soldier
02 Guardians of the Galaxy
03 John Wick
04 Edge of Tomorrow
05 The Lego Movie
06 The Raid 2
07 Gone Girl
08 The Guest
09 Neighbors
10 The Grand Budapest Hotel

Haven't seen yet: Birdman and Nightcrawler

Best TV:

True Detective, Community and Justified.

GulDukat
01-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Big Eyes was my favorite film. Didn't see too many movies though.

elevenism
01-15-2015, 08:36 AM
TV: True Detective, hands down.

And some of you are gonna think i'm crazy, but the best movie was The Lego Movie.
This is coming from someone who watches suspense, supernatural horror, and sci fi almost exclusively.

If you didn't see it, i would urge you to give it a shot.

Vertigo
01-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Favourite films:
1. The Imitation Game
2. Foxcatcher
3. Whiplash
4. Birdman
5. Gone Girl
6. Interstellar
7. Edge of Tomorrow
8. X-men Umpteen
9. Theory of Everything

Worst films:
1. Mr Turner
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel

Want to see:
Under The Skin, Boyhood, Nightcrawler, Snowpiercer, 22 Jump Street, Selma

Favourite TV:
Homeland, Veep, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Game of Thrones

decadent
01-16-2015, 06:26 AM
Top 3:

WHIPLASH! - fucking great!
Nightcrawler - amazing performance by Jake Gyllenhaal
Gone Girl - its not the perfect thriller, but pretty close

Dra508
01-16-2015, 01:37 PM
I too didn't see a ton of films this year.

Grand Budapest Hotel

TV/Streaming

TransParent
Peaky Blinders
House of Cards
True Detective
Longmire - been cancelled
Homeland
The Fall

littlemonkey613
01-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Gotta add Foxcatcher and Imitation Game to my list. Both beautiful films based on real stories I had never even heard of. How did I not know?!

sa_nick
01-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Finally got my list sorted. I never caught Interstellar and Inherent Vice doesn't open til March in AU

1. Under The Skin
2. The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
3. Blue Ruin
4. Boyhood
5. Force Majeure
6. It Felt Like Love
7. Ida
8. I Origins
9. Happy Christmas
10. Deux jours, une nuit

The rest of my shortlist included...

20000 Days On Earth, Birdman: or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Cake, Foxcatcher, Ilo Ilo, Leviathan, Life Itself, Locke, Maps to the Stars, Men Women and Children, Night Moves, Nightcrawler, Nymph()maniac, Only Lovers Left Alive, Palo Alto, Starred Up, The Double, The Drop, The Rover, The Skeleton Twins, Wetlands, Whiplash and Wild

Best TV Drama:
True Detective
Fargo
Boardwalk Empire
The Knick
Hannibal
Transparent

Best TV Comedy:
Louie
BoJack Horseman
Rick and Morty
Silicon Valley
You're The Worst
Community

BrewHa
01-27-2015, 12:19 AM
What a fantastic year for cinema. I feel like Hollywood has regained a lot of their integrity lately.

Films
1. Whiplash
2. Birdman
3. Interstellar
4. Inherent Vice
5. Nightcrawler
6. John Wick
7. Locke
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Gone Girl
10. Snowpiercer

Still need to see: The Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, Grand Budapest Hotel, Boyhood, The Imitation Game, Fury, The Drop, Wild, Big Eyes

TV
1. True Detective
2. House of Cards
3. Fargo
4. Game of Thrones
5. Cosmos

I wish I could add The Walking Dead to that list, but my hope for the show is dwindling because of the dreadful writing so far this season.

Shows I re-watched: Breaking Bad, Deadwood (why the fuck did they ever cancel this show?)

Wretchedest
01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
I am still catching up but the two big candidates I have seen are Foxcatcher and Boy hood. I am not sure which I like better. Foxcatcher was more in tune with what I usually like. It was very subtle, very nuanced with great characters and a lot of depth. Boyhood was very human, and obviously a massive technical achievement. It paralells with the kind of family story told by Ozu or Bergman. However, unlike those absolute masters Boyhood has a handful of annoying flaws that prevent it from being as whole and perfect as Foxcatcher. Being that they are very different and good for entirely different reasons it is hard to say i like one more than the other.

Television? It is hard to beat True Detective, but this was a year where comedy thrived and i think "Rick and Morty" is so smart and funny and amazing, its unfortunate that its place as an animated comedy on adult swim means it will be overlooked. Same, Silicon Valley, although less so. Fargo was also great and yet has some flaws that are hard to reconcile, for me.