PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto

Pages : [1] 2 3

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
With the announcement of GTA 5 a little while ago, we can't NOT have a GTA thread.

Also, they just announced the price and release date for GTA 3 for Android and iOS. December 15th for $4.99.

Space Suicide
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
V looks hyper realistic and fun. I've not played much of Rockstar's number one series but I did love them when i did. I've only ever touched IV ad downloaded San Andreas from the Xbox Marketplace.

twilight explosion
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
V looks hyper realistic and fun. I've not played much of Rockstar's number one series but I did love them when i did. I've only ever touched IV ad downloaded San Andreas from the Xbox Marketplace.

why in the fuck aren't you playing san andreas at this very fucking moment.

Space Suicide
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
why in the fuck aren't you playing san andreas at this very fucking moment.

Lack of time and patience tbh.

Clownboat
12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
The trailer for GTAV reminds me of Max Payne 3's trailer.

Wretchedest
12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I recently busted oiut my San Andreas hard copy due to excitement from this. Looks great. Hoping there's a little more focus in this one, than in 4.

carpenoctem
12-26-2011, 09:37 PM
IV was overwhelming. I recently played it again and finally beat it (for some reason I always lost interest in the main story after getting to Alderney) and I'm still shocked by what a massive beast that game is. There's so much to do and see, and I've barely scraped the surface. The thought that V could top it (and I'm sure it will) is almost unimaginable.

MAD
12-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I have IV but I haven't really played it that much. It's badly optimized for PCs and mine won't run it smoothly. So like most other games that don't run flawlessly on my machine, it sits nicely on the shelf until I upgrade. Not to mention the social club bullshit and windows live crap that won't run but wouldn't tell me why. (I had to flip switches in my Services to make it work).

I played the shit out of III, Vice City and San Andreas though.

BenAkenobi
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
GTA2 is my favourite. I think i'm halfway through IV, i play it 2-3 days then there may be a pause for a month.

Piko
12-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I really should go back and finish San Andreas.

BenAkenobi
12-27-2011, 11:19 AM
should go back and finish San Andreas.

you will see a really sloppy ending. it might have been a parody for some movie i haven't seen, but i was really disappointed with how the storytelling evolved in 3rd city.

Piko
12-27-2011, 12:58 PM
GTA3 didn't even have much of an ending though, heh. Get the girl, kill the baddies, kill the girl.

carpenoctem
12-29-2011, 03:59 PM

you will see a really sloppy ending. it might have been a parody for some movie i haven't seen, but i was really disappointed with how the storytelling evolved in 3rd city.

San Andreas was great but I didn't like the whole chapter in Las Venturas. I can see why it was necessary, especially since R* were going for the grand effect with that huge map and all the diverse areas to travel through, but I always get bored after the desert and just want to skip straight to the finale back in Los Santos.

Some people are speculating that there will be more than one city in V, as apparently in the early press releases of San Andreas they didn't reveal right away that there was more than just Los Santos. I'd love it if there were two major cities and some countryside between them. Maybe San Fierro or a new city entirely? There's some speculating about a representation of San Diego or San Jose. I think the reasoning was that if you can fly planes (which it looks like you can) it would make sense to have more than one airport, and in the trailer there's a major international highway that in real life goes between Los Angeles and San Diego. Need more details!!

Piko
12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see the other cities. If IV can have Alderney, then I don't see why V can't have San Fierro and Las Venturas.

Reaps
07-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Just bought IV, i have a pretty decent PC but the game is pretty much unplayable, 20/30 mins of play before screen freeze, pain-in-the-ass windows live-social club bullshit. Kinda pisses me off the developers are allowed to port unplayable half-assed pc games and get away with it, regardess of the patches they release after.
Anway, the entire GTA series is 10 quid on Steam at the mo, so it's not exatly a waste of money.

Amaro
07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
It's somehow weird to imagine these games online...even though I know well how it is on RDR.

Is it fun online?

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-28-2012, 02:49 AM
YES. FINALLY. GTA 3 is coming to the PSN on July 31st - in North America, at least.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/27/grand-theft-auto-iiis-release-date-on-playstation-network

Piko
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Story was never the strongest in GTA, IMO. Its about being a badass, with a few laughs inbetween. That's gta to me anyway. I'll be scooping this up most likely. Hopefully they do this with the others as well.

BenAkenobi
07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
well, i honestly enjoyed the story in "Liberty City Stories" (PS2), because... Salvatore. yes. such a pillar of man. when the game's end credits rolled i regretted i couldn't shake his hand and ask for autograph.

PooPooMeowChow
07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
It's somehow weird to imagine these games online...even though I know well how it is on RDR.

Is it fun online?

GTA IV was some of the most fun I've had online. I'll never forget some of the times I had in free roam.

Its really something when you're on a server of random people and something happens that looks straight out of a movie. Completely unscripted movie like moments. They're rare but I've only found them in GTA.

EDIT: I'm mostly excited for GTAV to see what R* learned and what they do to improve multiplayer.

Piko
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Considering what they did for RDR and Payne. I think it's got serious potential.

thelastdisciple
07-30-2012, 12:05 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ot03eq0N1qattmro1_500.jpg

I just picked this up recently, i think these collections are mostly out of print but i managed to stumble across it at a department store... 14.99 and I've now got PC versions of the original top down games. XD (I know that GTA and GTA2 i think are freeware from Rockstar Games but i still wanted retail copies and I had never played London before)

Having these now pretty much completes my collection of the main games, i have 3, Vice City and San Andreas all for PC except i have IV on PS3.

I don't have any of the DLC or "Stories" games though but i do have Chinatown Wars on my iPod.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
I played the shit out of III and IV. I have had RDR for about a month now and I cannot find the time to keep playing it consistently. I'll wait a bit before I get V.

PooPooMeowChow
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Grand Theft Auto Fucking Five.
Can. Not. Wait.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120713152842/gtawiki/images/thumb/3/35/PoliceMaverick-GTAV.jpg/640px-PoliceMaverick-GTAV.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120820140557/gtawiki/images/thumb/7/71/Cheetah-GTAV.jpg/640px-Cheetah-GTAV.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120820140615/gtawiki/images/thumb/b/b2/Hydra-GTAV.jpg/640px-Hydra-GTAV.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/images/6/60/Motorcycles-GTAV.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/images/c/c7/Tennis-GTAV.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120822133727/gtawiki/images/thumb/e/ef/Parachuting-GTAV.jpg/640px-Parachuting-GTAV.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3312/10522222.jpg
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8755/61112881.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8827/95767710.jpg

Leman Russ
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Wow, those screen shots look impressive. I hope the gameplay is similar to IV. Loved 2, loved 3, HATED Vice City & San Andreas, loved IV.

Wretchedest
08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
This looks fantastic and all, vut theres already a gta thread on this page of this section...

PooPooMeowChow
08-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Shit my bad, I checked every where BUT the first page.:confused:

carpenoctem
08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
These screenshots are so cash. I am excited omg
But I still doubt we'll see it this year; even if their projected release date (whenever they choose to announce it) falls in or before December, they always delay their projects anywhere from two to six months.

jmtd
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
This looks fantastic and all, vut theres already a gta thread on this page of this section...

For convenience (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/372-Grand-Theft-Auto)

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
So, apparently a former Rockerstar employee is leaking out GTA 5 information. Here's a link. Hard to say how much of it is true, but if it is true, this is shaping up to be a really awesome title.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/grand-theft-auto-5/Rumors_and_Leaks

Ex-Rockstar Information Leak

An Examiner article publicized a large chunk of GTA5-related rumors, stating the following:
"It has recently been brought to our attention that a poster over on the official GameSpot forums have posted a massive list of unreleased information about the future title, Grand Theft Auto V. Through a post, that has since been deleted by the forum moderators over on the GameSpot forum, along with the poster, a user by the name of Gloggle has revealed that he is a friend of an ex-RockStar employee that was fired for misconduct. Now, it seems that the ex-RockStar employee now has the intentions of leaking information on GTA V."[9] (http://www.examiner.com/playstation-in-charlotte/massive-gta-5-information-leak-from-ex-rockstar-employee)
As for the information that was listed, you can find the post as a whole below or you can view a Google cache versionhere (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RAxyEJyEZYQJ:www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29093844/gta-v-info+29093844/gta-v-info).

Warning: Number 8 on the list contains spoilers of past Rockstar titles (RDR and L.A Noire).
1. The protagonist will be one character, and one character alone. His name is (as some rumours said) Albert De Silva. He's a half hispanic man who was once part of a crime family in Vice City. He decided to settle down and have kids in Los Santos. He has one son called Kevin De Silva who is your stereotypical CoD player. He's lazy, useless and shouts racial abuse online and is really into FPS games. Kevin does admire his Dad though.
2. Multiplayer will hold 32 people on the Xbox and PS3. I wasn't told how many were able to be on the PC. Just like in RDR, players will be able to form Gangs. These gangs are not ranked through XP anymore, but via Reputation. Instead of gang hideouts, you can do jobs that range from robbing a launderette to breaking into a military base and stealing state-of-the-art weaponary. The Gang leader has much more control over his or her gang by being able to rank members of their gang and setting more specific objectives to specific members of their gang. Gangs can have their own terratory but this only applies to areas inside the city of Los Santos.
3. The map is about 5x as large as the GTA IV map and the City of Los Santos takes up just under half of this area (so it's a bit bigger than 2 GTA IV Liberty Cities). The map is (like most GTAs) seperated into three different sections.
4. Planes are flyable, they range from World War 2 fighter planes to Private Jets.
5. Cars and guns are customisable to an extent, for example, you can customise a gun to have a supressor on it and you can install nitrous into cars.

Here's some stuff you might like:

1. The protagonist is the "rich guy" from the GTA V debut trailer. You get to learn more about this man in the second when he talks about his troubles. You only see the protagonist twice in the trailer. First time is the side of his face and second time is when he is driving a Deceptor (Audi R8). The people robbing the jewellery store are just with the protagonist. He is driving the van ready to get away.
2. Gunfights are more realistic. When you are shooting a gun out of a window of a car, depending on how fast it's going you will have troubles aiming due to shaking cameras.
3. The game is due in May 2013. A more specific date has not been decided because the game is still needing 6 months to be fully developed. They will have a playable demo at E3.
4. Police chases are now way more than either running or driving. Depending on how wanted you are, police may bring out riot shields and flash bangs.
5. When someone reaches 4 star wanted level, there will be a radio warning on some stations.
6. Radio stations now do traffic reports that are actually correct. So if you don't know what route to take, you can check the traffic reports on your phone or the radio.
7. The in-game TV now has many more channels.
8. The protagonist DOES NOT die unlike in Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire.
9. The underworld actually has a working economy that you can contribute to by buying and selling drugs, weapons and illegal cars in single player.
10. The protagonist can take drugs which will have some effects. But smoking weed on the streetwalk will lead to getting a one star wanted level.
11. Police cars will go after you if you're obviousely breaking the speed limit. Having high speed crashes will also damage your health.

Wanted levels:
1 star - police follow you on foot and try to make an arrest. No sirens, no car chases (unless you are speeding).
2 star - police will still attempt to make an arrest. If a weapon is drawn then the police will begin opening fire. Police will use stun guns if a weapon is not drawn.
3 star - Chases begin and the police don't care how they stop you, they just want to do it.
4 star - road traps, radio stations and much more hostile police.Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 24 in-game hours for someone matching your description.
5 star - shoot to kill, arrest only if it's made very possible. Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 48 in-game hours for someone matching your description. Few missions become unavailable if you are wanted.
6 star - military vehicles come after you. Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 72 in-game hours for someone matching your description. Some missions become unavailable if you are wanted.

Sorry it's so huge! Thought I'd save everyone having to click the link. Also, trailer #2 is coming next week!

october_midnight
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
SICK. Thanks for sharing. May's a brutal month for games to drop though, it's right when summer here in Vancouver is kinda in full bloom and the last thing I wanna do is sit at home on the couch. Release this shit now lol.

carpenoctem
11-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, we'll figure out tomorrow whether or not any of this is true. Game Informer's digital edition of their December issue has an 18-page cover story on GTA V. I'll try to link to it tomorrow if I can find scans, which shouldn't be too hard.

FernandoDante
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
So, apparently a former Rockerstar employee is leaking out GTA 5 information. Here's a link. Hard to say how much of it is true, but if it is true, this is shaping up to be a really awesome title.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/grand-theft-auto-5/Rumors_and_Leaks

Sorry it's so huge! Thought I'd save everyone having to click the link. Also, trailer #2 is coming next week!
A lot of that stuff was posted way back in March:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341349/rumour-gta-v-protagonist-map-details-leaked/

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Well, balls. At least now I know. Thanks!

october_midnight
11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this...for the longest time I was fairly indifferent...played through GTA IV once and swiftly traded it back in. Only played multiplayer for like 5 minutes and thought it was fairly mediocre. Everything I've heard of this though sounds great.

PooPooMeowChow
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Thing is, IV's multiplayer was fun when it first came out and you could get full matches, then the community quickly got spread out by all the different game modes.

But those few times I got two full teams in a TDM was magic. Not to mention all the crazy fun to be had in free roam and GTA Race.

What they do with multiplayer in V is what I'm most excited about!

october_midnight
11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
My goodness...

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/gta5111.jpg

new Game Informer article. (http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gta5/news/gta_5_all_the_game_informer_details.html)

GTA 5 "evolves nearly every mechanic" found in previous games in the series.
Features the biggest open world in the series' history - GTA 5's world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined.
Three playable characters who you can switch between "at nearly any time".
Each character has their own specific abilities and story arc, with all three stories intertwined.
Camera zooms out to a "Google Earth-style" perspective when switching characters.
Character 1 - Michael, an ex-bank robber in his early 40s who retired after making a deal with the FIB. He has two teenage children and hates his wife Amanda. He's also the narrator of the original GTA 5 trailer.
Character 2 - Trevor, a former war veteran and a "drugged out psychopath". An experienced pilot.
Character 3 - Franklin, a repo man in his mid 20s described as a "young and ambitious hustler".
Certain characters from GTA IV and Episodes From Liberty City will also make an appearance. Rockstar's Dan Houser says we'll never see characters from the PS2 era, though. "The five PS2 games are one universe, and this is the high definition universe, so they don't co-exist," he says.
No major actors cast as any of the main characters.
Focus on making more diverse missions.
Heists and bank robberies are a big theme to the game.
Characters will work together during missions, and you can switch between characters mid-mission to fulfill different roles. For example, during a chase sequence you can pilot the getaway helicopter as Trevor, snipe pursuing pilots as Franklin, or fire an assault rifle as Michael.
Missions will have a "very diiferent tone depending on who's on them, how many people are on them, and how much we're using switches", says Houser.
Even when you're not controlling them, each character will still go about their own business across Los Santos. "You may be surprised by the situations they find themselves in should you switch back to check up on them," says Game Informer.
Big advances to lighting and shader model. Greater draw distance.
Improved vehicle handling and physics - "The cars hold to the ground better... It feels more like a racing game," Houser says.
More vehicles than in any GTA to date, including BMXs, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, cars, trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs and Jet Skis, but vehicle manufacturers are still fictional.
Fighter jets appear to be in. One screenshot shows a fighter equipped with missiles, as a helicopter explodes in the background.
Improved shooting and melee combat. Melee combat "never going to be as big a deal as shooting," though, warns Houser.
Pedestrians are fully mo-capped and more interactive.
You can rappel down buildings, although it's not confirmed whether this is specific to certain missions.
Los Santos is described as a "huge and diverse city", combining the best of Red Dead Redemption's "large open expanses" with GTA IV's "densely packed urban environment".
Areas in the game world include beachfronts, mountains, the wilderness, a "Salton Sea" region, a military base and the suburbs.
GTA: San Andreas was about gang culture. GTA 5 is about capturing the "contemporary culture of LA".
There will be a "vibrant and fun" economy, but you won't be able to buy property.
A variety of different side missions and "more sophisticated" minigames, including yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base-jumping, tennis and golf. There's a full golf course in the game. You can go scuba diving along the coastline of Los Santos, or go to the gym on the seafront.
Each character will have unique hobbies, including "one or two key minigame activities per character".
San Andreas' RPG-like player customization is still absent, but you can customize the clothing of each character.
GTA IV's romance feature has been removed.
Like in GTA IV, players can make friends and hang out with certain NPCs, including Michael's wife Amanda and son Jimmy, Franklin's "crazy friend" Lamar, and Trevor's mate Ron.
GTA IV's mobile phone returns, but a lot of its features have been altered. You can use it to access the internet.
Dynamic missions - hidden missions dotted around the game world. "Going off-road in the desert, you may come across two parked cars and a sea of dead bodies around them... Investigate if you want."

Wretchedest
11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
The size of the open world sounds fucking INSANE. That is so big!

I hope it doesn't slow roll the begining like GTA 4 did though. that was such a pain.

Space Suicide
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Quite a lot added.

ibanez33
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Holy shit. Is there a release date set yet? I haven't paid much attention since the trailer came out :/

SM Rollinger
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
This is exciting stuff, I loved the PS2 era gTa's but IV's graphic style just turned me off. This one is gonna be great though!

carpenoctem
11-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Holy shit. Is there a release date set yet? I haven't paid much attention since the trailer came out :/

Spring 2013.
My guess is late May, which would give them a full six months for promotion and whatnot, starting now.

I am super excited about the map size and the multiple protagonist approach. Sounds like this will be a great way to give us access to different parts of the map right from the get-go. I'm a little disappointed that there's only one major city but I understand why they wanted to devote their attention to a fully-realized Los Santos, and I'm sure there will be other communities to explore (suburbs, desert/wilderness towns). I guess I just wanted to re-experience the feeling of traveling from one big area to another. I hope there will still be lots to do outside the city.

The fact that the GI story focused mostly on the multiple protagonist part and only skimmed the surface of the game's details makes me feel like Rockstar is definitely trying to keep things under wraps. They give you just enough to whet your appetite but want to hold back so you can discover things for yourself the first time you play. It's going to be hard for me not to be obsessively searching for new info, though. Maybe I need to set a limit, like maybe one day a month I'll look for updates... I don't want to burn myself out before playing like I did with IV.

ibanez33
11-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Spring 2013.
My guess is late May, which would give them a full six months for promotion and whatnot, starting now.

I am super excited about the map size and the multiple protagonist approach. Sounds like this will be a great way to give us access to different parts of the map right from the get-go. I'm a little disappointed that there's only one major city but I understand why they wanted to devote their attention to a fully-realized Los Santos, and I'm sure there will be other communities to explore (suburbs, desert/wilderness towns). I guess I just wanted to re-experience the feeling of traveling from one big area to another. I hope there will still be lots to do outside the city.

The fact that the GI story focused mostly on the multiple protagonist part and only skimmed the surface of the game's details makes me feel like Rockstar is definitely trying to keep things under wraps. They give you just enough to whet your appetite but want to hold back so you can discover things for yourself the first time you play. It's going to be hard for me not to be obsessively searching for new info, though. Maybe I need to set a limit, like maybe one day a month I'll look for updates... I don't want to burn myself out before playing like I did with IV.

Grand Theft Auto is my favorite game series by far, I usually try to avoid reading up too much before playing them other than a few little bits of info here and there like this article. Definitely gotta stay away from early reviews and gameplay videos, though.

kdrcraig
11-09-2012, 07:06 AM
That sounds awesome. I can't even really fathom how big that game world is going to be, each of those three games were huge by themselves, this is going to be nuts.

Madmya
11-09-2012, 07:46 AM
GTAIV bored me to death. Give me a new RDR any day.

R-Dot-Yung
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I Agree, GTA4 was boring as hell. Especially after following something like San Andreas which felt larger than life in every respect. It was also so god damn fun, there was so much to do it wasn't possible for it to get boring.

GTA4 was a huge let down for me, but I'm still anticipating GTA5

Piko
11-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I loved GTA4. A lot more down to earth than previous games. San Andreas was definitely the most ambitious of the lot though. GTAIV went with the realism aspect unlike the past games that were a bit ridiculous. They had some huge shoes to fill after San Andreas though.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I kinda like that they're revisiting Los Santos and a few things that made San Andreas a great game, but choosing to place it "in a different universe." Especially after reading all of that. It sounds like they're taking the best parts from their best games and combining them all into one Frankenstein of a video game. I just hope that it lives up to all the hype we're going it. But I think I trust Rockstar on this one.

PooPooMeowChow
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
But I think I trust Rockstar on this one.

Rockstar and Valve are the only developers I fully trust any more.

GTA is their baby, they'll fucking nail this.

Wretchedest
11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Im sure theyll nail it, but the chara ter swotching thing seems like a huge risk.

And i cant stress enough the importance of not slow rolling it. Ive never been able to get through GTA 4 because it drags so much in the begining and then after putting it down for a while a roomate will pick it up and derail my progress... forcing me to start over...

ibanez33
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Tell your roommate not to be a dick, or make another gamertag for him to use or something.

Piko
11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm happy they're going back to Los Santos. A lot of new possibilities. But i'll definitely be missing San Fierro and Las Venturas though. They're going to be re-releasing Vice City (if they haven't already) and San Andreas on PS3. Pretty safe bet i'll be scooping those up again. Never finished them...

carpenoctem
11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm happy they're going back to Los Santos. A lot of new possibilities. But i'll definitely be missing San Fierro and Las Venturas though.

I felt this way at first but I would rather them pick one city and do it right than try for three again. Especially since those three were really just small sketches, caricatures of the real cities without much life to them. Plus, if they tried for all three again, it would basically be like San Andreas 2 on high-def, and they never repeat themselves.

ibanez33
11-13-2012, 05:26 PM
New trailer at 8am PST tomorrow. Forget my last post, I'm all over GTA week at IGN. Next week I'll start keeping away from additional info.

*edit* oh lawd, yisss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84

PooPooMeowChow
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Any one get a Just Cause 2 feeling from the trailer??

Conan The Barbarian
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
If that is what it will look like on our obsolete gaming consoles, I am going to be pretty surprised.

Piko
11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Why wouldn't it be? It was developed for this gen after all. And developers are still figuring out new tricks for the current gen consoles. So it's possible for it to look that good on console. Might take up a few discs for 360 though, like LA Noire did.

october_midnight
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Agreed, obsolete? Not quite, though I of course get the sentiment....it's gettin' close lol. One thing I noticed is the draw rate...man in some of the still shots I've seen you can see the detail of buildings across the fuckin' city...

Trailer is hot.

ibanez33
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Rockstar explicitly stated they were developing it for the current generation of consoles because they're well away of the exact capabilities and limitations of the 360 and PS3. If they were developing for new consoles they would definitely have some issues to work out, and release would probably end up being sometime 2014. This way they can make the game exactly as they want it and send off the current generation of consoles with a really stunning game while they get the wheels turning on a PC port and their first project for the next gen consoles.

carpenoctem
11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep. It looks stunning. Small improvements on lighting and draw distance add tons of realism. There's no reason for this to come out on next-gen. I'm excited to see them push the current gen to its outer limits. Map size alone tells me they've achieved this goal.

sa_nick
11-21-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm still bummed that the sandbox genre means character models/texture have the be so bad. After playing a lot of Uncharted 2 and 3, the GTA characters looks like last gen clay dolls.

Piko
11-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Considering you're throwing an ENTIRE city on a disc instead of linear-based layouts. I still think GTAIV looks good for what it was and especially for a game that dropped in 2008.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
So, San Andreas was just released on the PSN as a PS2 classic for 15 bucks.

Piko
12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

bruised
12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Where is Vice City dammit??! Especially with the 10th ann. edition, wtf?

october_midnight
12-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Still blows me away.

GTA: San Andreas vs. GTA V. (http://kotaku.com/5968329/san-andreas-2004-vs-san-andreas-2013-a-visual-comparison/gallery/1?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow)

october_midnight
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
GTA V - September 17th

Tums206_BFY
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
GTA V - September 17th

Damn I think GTA V has Bioshock beaten now with most delays. My brother pre-ordered this for me for Xmas so I am happy that is taken care of and hopefully they'll included some dlc but man this game has been delayed a ton. Hopefully this is it as it now will be coming out 5 days after my birthday.

Piko
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Seems like a trend for them. Think GTA4 was delayed a ton as well, if I remember correctly. So much for a spring release. Plenty of things to tie us over though, I'm sure.

kdrcraig
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't really care about delays for games like this anymore, it only means they're taking extra time to make sure it's the game it should be. The game sounds like it's going to be absurd, can't imagine that's an easy thing to get completely polished and ready to go.

october_midnight
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2013/91/GTAV_36791_640screen.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Whoa, I didn't realize it got delayed. I'm in the same boat as I was with Bioshock, too. The delay only improved the game in the long run, I'm sure, and I'm willing to bet this is gonna be the same case. I'd rather have then take their time than rush and put out a glitchy product that needs a day one patch (Looking at you, AC3).

october_midnight
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Three new trailers are up. (http://www.rockstargames.com/V/)

sentient02970
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Haha Trevor is awesome.

staleincense
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Trevor seems like quite a fun chap to hang around with. :p

exilajei
04-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Why can't this come out in summer and not while I'm in school :(

october_midnight
05-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Kotaku review. Lots of details, spoilerish. (http://kotaku.com/ive-seen-grand-theft-auto-v-this-ones-radically-diff-487200782)

kdrcraig
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Awesome. The 3 character thing sounds like it could be really cool. I'm wondering if you can switch to another character only to find that they're in the middle of a gun fight with the cops or something like that.

Piko
05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Sounds very interesting. I just hope that by doing missions with one guy, that it doesn't interfere with the others' missions. Gonna have to start paying this off soon.

bruised
05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Those trailers got me hyped! Even more than I already was, I cannot wait!

october_midnight
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Officially the largest sandbox game Rockstar has ever created. 3.5x the size of RDR.

kdrcraig
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
This is going to be ridiculous, RDR was crazy big as it was.

Tums206_BFY
05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
It's bigger than RDR, GTA IV, and GTA: San Andreas Combine! That is freaking insane!!!!!

This is one of the few games I am waiting for (had it pre ordered since it became available in December), Most likely the last game I get for the current systems. They haven't announced it or anything but is this coming out for the next Gen systems? I'm not gonna wait two months extra for it but it'll be interesting to see if it will be released for those.

Hula
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Was I the first person outside of Rockstar to hear how big the map was going to be? I remember hearing about this aaaages ago :P

october_midnight
05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Not at all, it was just never quantified. Everyone pretty much knew, and were told by Rockstar, that it'd be bigger...but it seems more concrete now with a comparison to an existing game as a point of reference I believe...

ibanez33
05-09-2013, 01:54 AM
It's bigger than RDR, GTA IV, and GTA: San Andreas Combine! That is freaking insane!!!!!

This is one of the few games I am waiting for (had it pre ordered since it became available in December), Most likely the last game I get for the current systems. They haven't announced it or anything but is this coming out for the next Gen systems? I'm not gonna wait two months extra for it but it'll be interesting to see if it will be released for those.

It's not planned but I imagine they may do it a few years down the road when they make a package deal with all the DLC like they did with GTA IV/The Lost and Damned/The Ballad of Gay Tony

october_midnight
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Special and Collector's Editions revealed. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/grand-theft-auto-v-premium-bundles-revealed-6408780)

To be honest, I'm thinking of just getting the game itself...the in-game perks seem iffy.

Merse
05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I played over 1000 hours of GTA IV, with 100% completion. I still play it regularly. Five will hopefully live up to or exceed four.

october_midnight
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfKk_7p-8cg

Kodiak33
07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Looks incredible.

liquidcalm
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
to paraphrase Django Unchained...
Now they have my attention.

Lets hope it all hangs together because there was a LOT of stuff in there... there was me thinking 'Maybe I'll get Saints Row 4 instead...'

Fixer808
07-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Looks incredible.

Really, what else needs to be said?

Space Suicide
07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Hmm, this video spiked my interest some for getting it on Launch...I'll think it over.

thelastdisciple
07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Game looks damn immense.

Probably only scratches the surface too.

Kodiak33
07-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Really, what else needs to be said?

I know...lol

Conan The Barbarian
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm still not convinced that this is on current generation console. I might have to wait to see which is better on which system. They should have waited till the next gen consoles released to put this one out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

liquidcalm
07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
apparently thats the ps3 version.
and the money makes sense of the format choices, why try and sell a few million on the new consoles when you can sell 10 million+ on the old ones?

october_midnight
07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
So many people on Twitter complaining about the trailer being shown on current gen. I hate this generation of gamers.

2003 gamers: 'Awesome! Can't wait to play this! It'll be tons of fun.'

2013 gamers: 'Fuck this shit. Why the fuck would they do it on current gen? So dumb, etc etc'

Space Suicide
07-09-2013, 08:07 PM
So many people on Twitter complaining about the trailer being shown on current gen. I hate this generation of gamers.

2003 gamers: 'Awesome! Can't wait to play this! It'll be tons of fun.'

2013 gamers: 'Fuck this shit. Why the fuck would they do it on current gen? So dumb, etc etc'

Who gives a shit? I'd be glad to get this on any console. I don't see what the big damn deal is.

Tums206_BFY
07-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah I don't know why people are complaining it has been known for a while this game was coming out for the current gen. Sure maybe in the future it'll hit up the next gen consoles but I am more than glad to get this on day one and play it on my PS3, my brothers pre ordered the game for me during Christmas. So this will have my attention until the new systems come out and maybe longer. Can't wait looks insane.

Wretchedest
07-10-2013, 02:46 AM
It looks good. No surprises there. The video teally proved the character swapping thing. It looks neat. It will probably solve the gta pacing issues. Comes out a month after saints row 4 though. I guess theyre different enough these days.

MrsMeowMeow
07-10-2013, 07:00 AM
I don't get the complaints either.. I'm happy that I'll be able to play it on my PS3, means that I have more time left to save money for the PS4 :D

Thanks to the trailer I have a feeling that I'll really enjoy this one. Can't wait!!

Tums206_BFY
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
They released details today on the Multiplayer aspect of the game. Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTUxR3VNU4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTUxR3VNU4)

Guess it won't be available until October 1st.

FernandoDante
09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Time to get this thread back up. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Sheepdean suggested starting a Social Club crew. Any name suggestions?

Piko
09-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Club Echo?

Edit: who's all getting it for ps3? Plus, I wonder if there's a limit on groups.

Ruined
09-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I'll be gaming on PS3. I believe the crews we created in Max Payne 3 are supposed to carry-over to GTA V. Since I haven't been active on MP3 in quite a while, I'm sure my crew is near empty and/or I've been kicked from other crews. I can't wait to play this, next week and get back into multi-player, when it becomes available!

FernandoDante
09-15-2013, 01:23 AM
I'll be gaming on PS3. I believe the crews we created in Max Payne 3 are supposed to carry-over to GTA V. Since I haven't been active on MP3 in quite a while, I'm sure my crew is near empty and/or I've been kicked from other crews. I can't wait to play this, next week and get back into multi-player, when it becomes available!

Club Echo?

Edit: who's all getting it for ps3? Plus, I wonder if there's a limit on groups.
Yup, PS3 here too. I've still got MP3 and tried the multiplayer today. Severely less populated nowadays.

Piko
09-15-2013, 11:15 AM
My PSN's LordPiko for those who don't have it. The MP on this one looks like a more modern Red Dead. You were able to group up/posse and just around run wild and do whatever you wanted, just about. I can only imagine they're building from that, but more refined and with a wide variety of activities. Seems like someone can say "Hey, lets go skydiving!", and you could go skydiving, just like that. MP is going to be a total time consumer

theburningreptile
09-15-2013, 11:52 AM
PS3 here as well. PSN is Dantes2646. I really can't wait for this game. I have been this excited for a game since Arkham City. I hope it blows me away and my expectations are really high.

Ruined
09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
PSN: Ruined
Look forward to team skydiving, racing, everything else!

Piko
09-15-2013, 07:15 PM
PSN: Ruined
Look forward to team skydiving, racing, everything else!

Oddly enough, I might be more excited for that than the actual single player, which I know will bs nothing short of awesome. Come on tuesday!

bruised
09-15-2013, 07:19 PM
PSN - wethermen. Midnight release too!

darktemplar007
09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
PSN- Uriko007

Picking it up sometime tomorrow, can't believe it's already coming out, thought it was coming out midway through October for some reason.

FernandoDante
09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Added all you guys. My PSN is FernandoDante13

rage1983
09-16-2013, 02:45 PM
rage1983 if anyone is on xbox

FernandoDante
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I think it's really interesting that both of the "negative" reviews out there criticize the morality of the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10598-Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Review-People-Suck

http://www.gamespot.com/grand-theft-auto-v/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review-6414475/

I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've read everywhere else, it doesn't differ that much from previous games. You're a stone-cold killer - well, three of them this time. As for misogyny, remember how GTA IV included a relationship with a female character that didn't fit into visual stereotypes and didn't even have sex with the main character? Maybe people forget that.

Piko
09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Seems like your typical gta game... what else are people expecting? You buy gta, you get gta.

Space Suicide
09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Someone on my friends list has this game already. I bet after today 3/4ths of my friends will be playing it. :p

I however will not.

Ruined
09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Given the size of the game, I'm expecting a long install time of a couple of hours. I'll probably go to the midnight release just so I'll be able to install it by tomorrow, heh.

october_midnight
09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I think it's really interesting that both of the "negative" reviews out there criticize the morality of the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10598-Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Review-People-Suck

http://www.gamespot.com/grand-theft-auto-v/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review-6414475/

I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've read everywhere else, it doesn't differ that much from previous games. You're a stone-cold killer - well, three of them this time. As for misogyny, remember how GTA IV included a relationship with a female character that didn't fit into visual stereotypes and didn't even have sex with the main character? Maybe people forget that. As for GTA V, I'm pretty indifferent. Not saying it wouldn't be fun but I have too many other things on the go right now and when it comes down to it, I'll probably end up buying it off Craigslist down the road at some point perhaps.

Very true. I don't even bother reading any of these reviews or complaints anymore, I'm that over it. These days it's expected, devs expect it, businesses expect it...

It's 2013, there's no way to tell what WILL blow up online, what WON'T, which game WILL cause an uproar on Twitter, which WON'T...personally, I'm old lol. I just know a game is coming out, I get excited if it looks appealing to me...I buy it. That's about as deep as I go lol.

Tums206_BFY
09-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I have the game pre-ordered but I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow afternoon/evening. Can't wait though.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
ImTheWiseJanitor

LET'S DO THIS. I can't decide if I wanna get it at midnight or just wait until tomorrow. I'm off work all day and don't work until 9 Wednesday...Hmmm...Fuck it. I'm probably getting it tonight.

Shadaloo
09-16-2013, 06:18 PM
PSN is shadaloosoldier. I will take our heist and shoot you, so just shoot me first, 'kay? Kay.

carpenoctem
09-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Given the size of the game, I'm expecting a long install time of a couple of hours. I'll probably go to the midnight release just so I'll be able to install it by tomorrow, heh.

Nah, I've heard 15-30 minutes max. I'm gonna check out the foldout map and have a couple cigarettes and I expect it to be done by then.

Piko
09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Rockstar's reaction to the reviews pouring in.

http://geek.cheezburger.com/share/7802016000

FernandoDante
09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Anyone tried out the iFruit app on iOS? Can't seem to get a connection here...

FernandoDante
09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
PS:available to download NOW on PSN. Just go to "all PS3 games" on the store and download it from there.

Wretchedest
09-17-2013, 04:38 AM
This is pretty good so far. Im only an hour or two in but the improvements over 4 are pretty dramatic. The game is colorful and shiny and everything pops. Make 4 look even more like mud. Controls are responsive and even the sound design just feels very real.

The story is more engaging, not just because they skipped the bowling. The characters feel real and interesting and so far the missions are things that i feel like i want to actually do. So far its real good.

xmd 5a
09-17-2013, 05:35 AM
Just looking at the map has me drooling. I've only had enough time to install the game thus far (never encountered a mandatory install for the 360 before...) but can't wait to get stuck in.

carpenoctem
09-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Map is insane. Spent all night exploring, trying to fill in all the blank spaces on the menu map, still a big hole in the middle that I'll probably get to later. One thing I notice, and have to adjust my brightness scale a lot for: it never really seems like night. It can be 1am and there's a pink band on the horizon line. But when you turn the brightness all the way down in the woods it's terrifying, like you're a million miles from civilization. A good kind of terrifying.

xmd 5a
09-17-2013, 07:48 AM
I just spent about an hour surfing fake Internet.

Piko
09-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Today is going to be a long day... Picking this up as soon as I get off work though.

kdrcraig
09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I can't get the iFruit app to work. It always craps out when it's trying to sign in, probably just an overload of activity on it. I've played about 3 hours of the game so far, it's pretty awesome. Haven't done any exploring yet, plan on doing that tonight. I did kill a bunch of aliens with a mini gun in a drug induced hallucination though, I love these games.

Mantra
09-17-2013, 01:01 PM
As a pc gamer, I am dying inside right now. If I wasn't so broke I might just cave and go buy a tv, a ps3, and a copy of the game. So jealous of all the people getting to play this. If they skip out on the pc this time like they did with Red Dead Redemption, there's gonna be hell to pay.

ziltoid
09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
As a pc gamer, I am dying inside right now. If I wasn't so broke I might just cave and go buy a tv, a ps3, and a copy of the game. So jealous of all the people getting to play this. If they skip out on the pc this time like they did with Red Dead Redemption, there's gonna be hell to pay.
Hang in there buddy, all is not lost: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/17/gta-5-rumourgeddon/

staleincense
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I will probabay steal my brother's copy and play it at some point. Me actually playing video games is quite a rarity now and I'm certainly not betting on finishing it. I'll probably still enjoy it though, if only just for exploring and doing random shit and whatnot.

FernandoDante
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Dunno if my TV or what, but I'm getting an uncomfortable amount of alias in the distance.

REPLICA
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I love the fact that the more common police car (Ford Interceptor, not the Crown Vic) from the LSPD is decked out with lights.

ibanez33
09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I played from midnight to 4am and slept for like 4 hours and I've been at it since about 10 this morning. the last month or 2 I've been shying away from new info so this game has totally blown away my expectations so far. I love how they set the story up to play as each character for a bit before they get together.

theburningreptile
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::SPOILERS::::::::::::

Alright, i'm about to do the first heist mission and do i have to complete all of Franklins current missions before getting access to the call or do i just wait for the call without having to do his missions up to this point? BTW This game is nothing short of amazing.

ericy210
09-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Incredible, incredible game. Spent 20 minutes driving a sports car up a treacherous mountain path, almost slid down, and rode a cable car down. Hit a hiker on the way. Somehow the police tracked me down but they slid off the cliff. Then I spent hours exploring. Almost forgot they're missions to play. Probably forget to go to sleep.....and go to work tomorrow

Merse
09-17-2013, 10:53 PM
I can't afford this game. Poop. I'll have to wait until used copies come into circulation. Two years from now... ( ._.)

liquidcalm
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM
I can't afford this game. Poop. I'll have to wait until used copies come into circulation. Two years from now... ( ._.)
I'm sure there will be the obvious backlash.. plus around xmas there will probably be sales/bundles.

So far I played a little bit, don't think I'm out of the tutorials yet, but its alright so far. I'm wondering why I can't press R2 to unleash superpowered death on everyone, but other than that its pretty fun.

Wretchedest
09-18-2013, 04:27 AM
This game is pretty nuts, coming from LA. Its kind of like... A remixed abreviated version of LA. But sometimes you recognize places that you hang out all the time. My brother just had his engagement party at a restaraunt at the end of the santa monica pier, and that restaraunt is PERFECTLY replicate in this game. Crazy.

Not replicated: LA traffic!

The graphics are really nice and i cant help but wonder if the nextvgen version of this game is just behind the corner, hidden from the public eye for sales reasons. Draw distance in the game is too small to justify many of its own vistas, and most open world games would have covered the graphical error by throwing up really big buildings in your way to shorten the distance. Kind of wierd.

ibanez33
09-18-2013, 04:58 AM
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::SPOILERS::::::::::::

Alright, i'm about to do the first heist mission and do i have to complete all of Franklins current missions before getting access to the call or do i just wait for the call without having to do his missions up to this point? BTW This game is nothing short of amazing.

You have to do all of each guys current missions to set up for a heist I'm pretty sure, as well as make sure you have adequate stats. I was waiting around for ages to do a certain heist, finally got the phone call as soon as Franklins gun skill increased. Check your texts often, they usually help getting shit together to organize your missions.

Space Suicide
09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm the luckiest bastard in San Andreas evidently. I had zero plans to get this game and now I magically have it due to a fuck up on my friend's order which got him two copies - one free of charge. LOL.

Piko
09-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Having a hard time with the aiming reticule. Can barely see the dot. Other than that, its awesome.

Wretchedest
09-18-2013, 02:00 PM
They had that problem in the halo reach beta iirc. They were forced to fix it in in the finished game. I cant aim for shit with it either.

Mantra
09-18-2013, 02:02 PM
So, as someone who has yet to play it, I'm curious to know how you guys feel about he whole character switching thing. I'm hoping it's cool, but my worry is that it will make the story/game experience feel kind of fragmented and split up. So how are people liking it so far?

kdrcraig
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah the aiming is rough, it's real bad in a car

Piko
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm loving it. In a way, it's three separate games that intertwine. I was worried about missing out on missions if you play with certain characters. Glad, I was wrong

theburningreptile
09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I love the character switching. It seems life like, as in they're actually doing things while you arn't playing them. They never stay in the same spot which is always fun, cause you never know what you're going to get into. Also I just played a mission with flying involved it was fun but also a bit challenging. Which is always good. I had really high hopes for this game and it exceeded them. So fun, wow.

spiralout
09-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Damn it, I reeeally should have taken a few days off this week. Got the game yesterday morning, was not able to play it til 11 last night. Played for about 2 hours, so far it feels like GTA....but brand new. In other words, awesome. I've only got a taste of the character switching and I can already see that its going to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to dive back in.

ibanez33
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah the aiming is rough, it's real bad in a car

Having a hard time with the aiming reticule. Can barely see the dot. Other than that, its awesome.

They had that problem in the halo reach beta iirc. They were forced to fix it in in the finished game. I cant aim for shit with it either.

In the settings you can change it to "complex" aiming, which gives you actual crosshairs and shows how far it will spread with shotguns.

Piko
09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Ah cool. Wasn't sure what it meant by "complex".

kdrcraig
09-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh sweet I didn't see that option, I'll check that out tonight

theburningreptile
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyS0hQMLPs

ibanez33
09-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Ah cool. Wasn't sure what it meant by "complex".

Yeah, it's kind of 4 corners that spread out when you're running or driving to show how (in)accurate your shots will be and stuff, where as the tiny little dot was only like "your bullets go in this general direction".

Tums206_BFY
09-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Loving it! Love the character switching so far makes the game very interesting and my god is this map huge I haven't even left Los Santos yet def need to go explore this place.

Done a few missions so far but most have seemed minor haven't really I guess gotten to what could be considered the start of the real storyline but I think i'm just outside that, won't problaly get into it for a bit though as I try and build up some stats on my two characters. Enjoying it so far though and like I said I really need to go explore the whole map lol

carpenoctem
09-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Favorite game moment yet: as Trevor, driving around at night in the desert during a rainstorm, turning to Rebel Radio just in time to hear the beginning of Charlie Feathers' "Can't Hardly Stand It". For some reason in those circumstances it just made everything feel evil and awesome.

kdrcraig
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Finally got the iFruit app to work and messed around with Chop a little bit, it seems pretty lame and probably not worth even fucking around with.

Space Suicide
09-18-2013, 11:38 PM
The driving is so out of touch with physics and is very fucking loose in this game. I can't stand it. I failed the first racing side quest so many times due to the sloppy handling and fucktard driving the AI pulls off. Ugh.

Fun game thus far, not far into it. Just finished the first heist.

Wretchedest
09-19-2013, 01:09 AM
The driving is so out of touch with physics and is very fucking loose in this game. I can't stand it. I failed the first racing side quest so many times due to the sloppy handling and fucktard driving the AI pulls off. Ugh.

Fun game thus far, not far into it. Just finished the first heist.
I had a hard time with that racing mission too.... i'm just bad with racing games. I came back to it after getting used to the game and beat it in the first try. maybe you just need to step away a bit.

ibanez33
09-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Holy fuck, I'm in love with this game. SPOILERS: I just did the heist out in the desert with Packie McReary, on the way there he told the gang about the Bank of Liberty heist he pulled with Nico in IV, and then we annihilated half of the town in fucking massive juggernaut body armor suits and mini guns, it was AWESOME! And according to my save-game screen, I'm still only 45% through the story. Can't wait to see what else we can get into.

carpenoctem
09-19-2013, 06:50 AM
^^^ I totally shouldn't have read even the first sentence of that spoiler but damn am I excited about that character!

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-19-2013, 09:15 AM
^^^ I totally shouldn't have read even the first sentence of that spoiler but damn am I excited about that character!

I particularly loved the comment earlier on from Lester, while you're planning the first heist. Something like, "Those Irish brothers you liked have seemingly disappeared. There was an Eastern European guy working out of Liberty City, but...he went quiet."

This game IS pretty great so far. The controls are a little tricky and were hard to get used to, and the driving physics ARE a little nuts, but overall, think I can see myself getting MANY hours of fun out of this.

Also, Trevor + aviator sunglasses = Hunter S. Thompson.

ericy210
09-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I called for my blimp (limited edition bonus) and the land us just beautiful, buzzing amazing things I won't spoil.

Wretchedest
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
I like that they finally figured out that it was more about having large numbers of things that you WANT to do vs. large numbers of things that you CAN do and have nor eason too.

it was a perfect game until:

the torture scene came up. there's been some talk of this

and I think a line is crossed there that costs it major points with me. I get that there's some political messaging behind it but it's a very poorly handled scene, and I don't think most of the dick heads playing this game are literate enough to get it. Or give a shit.

It also pushes games further down a path that they should be trying to steer away from. It's hit other media before, but when that sort of thing becomes entertainment without substance is where I think it's kind of inept and stupid. it reminds me of the direction American Horror films took in the middle of the last decade. I really don't think we need video games going down road and it's going to cost the medium some hard won credibility. and it's a shame. It's a shame that the game gives you all the wrong kind of agency in this portion, when there are so many other ways it could have been handled.

I realize that many will try to stand up for this scene but in the end i just thing it was a very stupid idea for everyone involved.

Clownboat
09-20-2013, 11:23 AM
How bad is it, really? I can be a tad squeamish when it comes to graphic violence, and I don't know whether I should be worried whenever I get to that point.

Space Suicide
09-20-2013, 11:50 AM
How bad is it, really? I can be a tad squeamish when it comes to graphic violence, and I don't know whether I should be worried whenever I get to that point.

I think the majority (from what I read) is waterboarding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding).

It may be pushing the line a bit but you're playing as Trevor during it, he is a psychopath so...it doesn't seem like its randomly tossed in there.

Piko
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
I think it fell in line with the character. A little "extreme", but its just whatever to me... especially considering that it already happens. plus, trevor lets him go after and helps him escape. So, there's a happy ending, sorta...

skip niklas
09-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I didn't see any waterboarding, though I chose not to use one of the "instruments" provided. What I did see was pretty rough, and though I'm not normally squeamish I did feel a bit sick playing that mission. Sadly I agree that most who didn't think much about this type of behavior being used in the real world will continue to not think much about it as they'll write it off to "just being a game", etc. I hope that was all they included, because I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone played tennis yet? I think they did a great job with the mechanics of the gameplay for that, it feels really natural.

My only other gripe thus far is the lack of quality music. The rock stations are a little light in the loafers, and what they do have isn't that great.

Space Suicide
09-20-2013, 03:59 PM
My only other gripe thus far is the lack of quality music. The rock stations are a little light in the loafers, and what they do have isn't that great.

The gas can was used for the waterboarding.

Thank you! I agree 150%. The selection is scarce of music I like. I only like a few hodge podge tracks here and there. Channel X and the pop station are the things I listen to most with some Vinewood now and then. I only listen to WCC when Geto Boys or Dr Dre is on.

The torture scene (I just finished it a bit ago), didn't bother me that much actually. I can see why it would but it didn't really ruffle my feathers or feel bad. Eh. I'm a bastard then eh?

Clownboat
09-20-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm loving most of the radio stations, though the Mexican one is really obnoxious to me. I wish FlyLo's station was a bit better, as that is half the reason why I wanted the game in the first place. Soulwax is quality and both rap stations are great, but I think the true hidden gem is Lowdown FM. "California Soul" being included makes the game legendary in my eyes.

That said, I gotta be honest: The best thing about the game's music is the original score. I love all of the ambient music. The stuff that plays during loading screens, during missions, while paused in the menu... It's all excellent. Like, seriously good stuff. I can't praise it highly enough. I really hope Rockstar releases it as an album or three very soon.

kdrcraig
09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah I'm a bit disappointed with the music selection, can't find a station I can stand listening to for more than a couple minutes. Even the talk station isn't that great.

skip niklas
09-20-2013, 05:00 PM
It seems like everytime I go to the Los Santos talk station I get "Chakra Attack". I love me some JB Smoove, but damn. Bad timing on my part I suppose. The rap stations are really good, but I really think some more 90's and modern rock would make it better in my opinion. I've already been tempted to just play songs from my hard drive instead of the stations, but I've always enjoyed the talk radio stations and want to hear all of their content before I get in the habit of rocking "Hesitation Marks" while cruising around.

sheepdean
09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
I am only using the pop music and country music stations because that's what I listen to anyway. I will stop the game anywhere that I Don't Hurt Anymore comes on just to listen to it. Also, I'm lazy and cba to check thread, is there an ETS crew?

ericy210
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Cop chases car and both speediest me. Up ahead th bad guys wipe out and get out firing at the cops. Cops get out and fire back and are killed. Bad guys flee. I take cops guns and car. On we roll....

Wretchedest
09-20-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm very disappointed with the music selection.

And it's not *just* waterboarding. It's a whole bunch of stuff, the most squeam inducing maybe being a tooth extraction. But my biggest issue is that it is gamified, and not just slightly gamified, but completely interactive down to the fact that you are scored on it. When I completed the mission I got a silver medal and an offer to retry which is so goddamn tasteless I can't put words to it.

Space Suicide
09-20-2013, 11:02 PM
So, I got the San Andreas Sightseer achievement and holy fuck what a boring grind and aggravating task it was. It's great to have the whole map uncovered though.

The main issue I had was I kept getting flight issues and crashing when not playing as Trevor. Between dying, respawning, driving and stealing plane after plane I uncovered the entire map in about two and a half hours. You have to uncover everything. EVERYTHING. No blurred out or vacant spots, even the water surrounding the city. Sucked hard. Real hard.

Tums206_BFY
09-20-2013, 11:08 PM
I am only a bit less than 25% done with the game. Lol some crazy/funny shit so far.

I love the music I find myself enjoying everything even music I don't generally listen to! The Hip Hop and Pop stations are the best IMO but I dig everything there are some funny ass songs too.

Quick question though maybe one of you guys knows the answer to this but does the Bawsaq require you to be online? Or does it take more game play to come on? Every time I have ever tried to log into it it says it is down for maintenance so I was just wondering. The most profit I have made in the stock market has been 100k so far. Need to buy some more.

humie74
09-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Ive started a crew if anybodys interested.
just go to rockstargames.com join the social club then search crews.
the crew is called hard as nails and its public so anybody can join.
as for the game freaking awesome on so many levels i cant wait till the online starts.

Wretchedest
09-21-2013, 03:21 AM
OH MAN! HARD AS NAILS BITCH! yeah way better than my idea: "ETS" yeah i'm boring.

Space Suicide
09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/62428_10151672366376344_501290149_n.jpg

Piko
09-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Dude, tennis is pretty fun. The AI sucks though. I'll definitely be game to play online though.

tony.parente
09-21-2013, 12:22 PM
So i'm like 5 hours into the game and have yet to proposition one hooker.

Am I just looking in the wrong places?

sheepdean
09-21-2013, 03:57 PM
So i'm like 5 hours into the game and have yet to proposition one hooker.

Am I just looking in the wrong places?
Night only, nice cars only. If you buy a strip club, you can take many of the strippers back with you, if you prefer. And, for anyone thinking it's super creepy, you DO need to screw at least one for 100% game completion.

tony.parente
09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
you DO need to screw at least one for 100% game completion.
I love this game so much.

skip niklas
09-21-2013, 05:08 PM
You don't need to buy a club to bang the strippers, just get a private dance and "fill her meter". She'll take you to her place and be added to your contacts afterward. Not sure if you can schedule repeat performances from there yet.

sheepdean
09-21-2013, 05:23 PM
You don't need to buy a club to bang the strippers, just get a private dance and "fill her meter". She'll take you to her place and be added to your contacts afterward. Not sure if you can schedule repeat performances from there yet.
I should've said, it's much easier - the "no touching" rule doesn't apply anymore, so meter fills in seconds

Conan The Barbarian
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Awesome game. Absolutely love the driving mechanics in the game. Finally nice to feel in control of your vehicle.

I just started Trevor's story can't wait to progress.

Frozen Beach
09-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Hopefully I'm getting this today. Can't wait to play as a deranged meth head.

xmd 5a
09-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I quite like the music selection, but my favourite station is Blaine County Talk Radio (only available outside Los Santos). The Alex Jones-esque show makes me giggle every time.

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I officially suck at landing planes

Piko
09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I can't do it either...

theburningreptile
09-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Neither can I. It's damn near impossible.

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Doing the pilot training helps (even with Trevor), but I still can't get the approach angle on just right. At least helicopters are still easy enough, and I'm far enough in to unlock parachutes so I never have to land ANYTHING except for side missions :P

Conan The Barbarian
09-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Landing planes are easy if you are approaching the strip the right way.

Take it low and get it slow. Keep the nose up. Once you make landfall, brake.

I feel that it is hella easier than it was in San Andreas.

Speaking of that, has anyone come across CJ's old hood?

Space Suicide
09-22-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't like the plane flying and the turn radius is so massive and sloppy it makes it hard to know where to go. I however have gotten better at landing. Just position yourself to the runway (use B if you have to if you have an objective marker) and stop holding RT/R2. Then when you touch ground start tapping/holding LT/L2 until it comes to a stop. My landings are always a bit rough but I always touch down and get to the hangar.

skip niklas
09-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Landing planes are easy if you are approaching the strip the right way.

Take it low and get it slow. Keep the nose up. Once you make landfall, brake.

I feel that it is hella easier than it was in San Andreas.

Speaking of that, has anyone come across CJ's old hood?

Grove Street is there, I visited on a mission a few nights ago.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Edit: - Beat me to it!

I'm really happy that they seemingly took some of the best parts from past GTA games and threw them all into this game. "People really like the heist missions, so...why not build and ENTIRE GAME around that?"

And the music's pretty awesome, too! I keep finding new bands to check out. I just listened to Battle Tapes' track the other day, and now they're all I can listen to. I still wish they could allow custom soundtracks from your hard drive, though. That shit was so cool back in the day.

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Approaching the right way is my problem, I can land on like the beaches because they're so wide.

Although, the best flying vehicle is of course the blimp, with its slow speed but helicopter controls, it's like impossible to crash, plus it's the only non-water vehicle that won't be destroyed in water. I wish we could mod it in a pay and spray (yes, I tried), maybe that'll be DLC or something, cause I'd love to have like, crew logo on the blimp etc (AND MAYBE DO IT WITH MY MOTHERFUCKING ANDROID APP DAMMIT ROCKSTAR RELEASE THIS SHIT ALREADY)

FernandoDante
09-22-2013, 10:46 AM
One thing I don't enjoy very much is getting mission ratings and medals.

"Mission Completed! Here's how IMPERFECT you were, fuckface!"

ericy210
09-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Ifruit app is cool. I made a custom car on my ipad and picked it up in the game. First one is free. The 100+ page manual is also an app.

Space Suicide
09-22-2013, 11:30 AM
The medals achievement will be my downfall. I always get silver. A few gold but a far away from 70. I started the boring spaceship part collection mission. I want the car you get for beating it but 50 parts is a lot and damnit they just gotta have some unobtainable ones unless you use a flying vehicle. I have 11/50 parts so far...eh. I don't know why game devs make collectible missions/achievements. They're boring as shit and hassle to get. I have never enjoyed meaningless collectibles in games.

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't know why game devs make collectible missions/achievements. They're boring as shit and hassle to get. I have never enjoyed meaningless collectibles in games.
Because they're proud of the gameworld/map, and want to show it off. Making you hunt through the entire map is the way to do it, plus it adds longevity to the game and gives something to people who want everything

Space Suicide
09-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Because they're proud of the gameworld/map, and want to show it off. Making you hunt through the entire map is the way to do it, plus it adds longevity to the game and gives something to people who want everything

I like that they like to show off but finding 50-100 items (I'm not just talking GTA here) in a tireless grind is just boring to me. Always has been always will be. PS1, PS2, Xbox 360/PS3. Never been a fan of it. Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games are the worst.

Piko
09-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Way I see it, the game doesn't need collectables. It spreads you out enough to where to do get to see what the map has to offer.

Wretchedest
09-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Im a bit disappointed with the direction of the missions at this point. Up through the first heist, everything was gravy. I think it was that all of the missions were self motivated until then. But then it just goes back to regular old gta and your just an errand boy doing whatever. There have bedn like 2 or 3 more heists since ghebfirst and they havejt quite lived up

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Wretchedest have you been doing side missions? Trevor's bail jumper, Franklin's assassin, things like flight school and shit, they all feel more natural than the FIB missions and unwanted heists

Wretchedest
09-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah ive been side missions but i wonder how deep in i am because i havent seen those bail missions yet. I actually really like the heists i was just hoping wed see them more frequently and maybe in a different context.

TheyCallMeDrug
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
amazing game. i cant help but laugh when the word that i think best describes it is 'polished' and im referring to a gta game. about 20% of the way into it and I think i like trevor the most so far. rockstar got it beyond right this time.

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah ive been side missions but i wonder how deep in i am because i havent seen those bail missions yet. I actually really like the heists i was just hoping wed see them more frequently and maybe in a different context.
Bail is Trevor only, it's marked as a ? on the map for him, kinda middle of nowhere. There's not a lot of them but they require skill. You can replay the heists/missions and don't forget you can rob convenience stores etc if the mood takes you. Plus, with the random events and diving stuff, the fact there's not a million heists isn't the end of the world to me.

And don't forget: GTA Online has wayyyyy more heists than that

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Also, anyone who got the deluxe edition: if you have a UV/Blacklight, you might want to check the blueprint map again...

ericy210
09-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Also, anyone who got the deluxe edition: if you have a UV/Blacklight, you might want to check the blueprint map again...
Dude, what's on that map opens up a crazy aspect of the game. I don want to spoil, pm if you want to chat

xmd 5a
09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
I like that they like to show off but finding 50-100 items (I'm not just talking GTA here) in a tireless grind is just boring to me. Always has been always will be. PS1, PS2, Xbox 360/PS3. Never been a fan of it. Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games are the worst.

The Arkham games actually do collectibles well and are really the only games I could be bothered with them in. I have no idea who enjoys them in AssCreed though...

sheepdean
09-22-2013, 10:41 PM
You can use the tags "[spoiler ][/spoiler ]" on ETS if you want to discuss things like that in the thread, I reckon a few more people on here might have the map (or not have it and want to know what to do!)

I wonder if there's anything else hidden on it, anyone tried using invisible ink revealer?

sa_nick
09-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Finally got the game. After playing so much Last of Us recently it's insane seeing how totally average the character models, animations and voice are in this... Guess that comes with the genre though.

The game's good fun but driving feels way too snoppy, I didn't think i'd miss the heavier/more realistic feel of GTA IV but here we are. The writing is annoying too, the amount of fuck's just doesn't flow and feels so forced and douchey.

It'll be cool when I get used to the controls too. I keep changing weapons instead of sprinting, sprinting instead of jumping and pushing circle to get in/out of cars.

tony.parente
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Dude, what's on that map opens up a crazy aspect of the game. I don want to spoil, pm if you want to chat

you should [/spoiler] that shit! i'm mega interested

sheepdean
09-23-2013, 05:46 PM
My absolute favourite thing in the game so far is the missions assigned by the pot activist.

sheepdean
09-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Also, spoiler discussion inbound: The level of alien prescence in the game is fucking awesome, from the easter egg of the frozen one in the prequel level to the alien abduction that michael maybe has, I'm really loving how much they're embracing the more kooky side of GTA but maintaining the realism that the HD era has had.

Space Suicide
09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Also, spoiler discussion inbound: The level of alien prescence in the game is fucking awesome, from the easter egg of the frozen one in the prequel level to the alien abduction that michael maybe has, I'm really loving how much they're embracing the more kooky side of GTA but maintaining the realism that the HD era has had.

I'm not knocking GTA or talking shit but this whole aliens thing in the game reminds me so much that they want to venture to Saints Row territory.

sheepdean
09-23-2013, 06:24 PM
It felt more like an homage to San Andreas, what with (late game spoiler) bigfoot finally being in it, it's still realistic and the aliens aren't even cartoonised, unlike the clowns from trevor's nightmare trip

Space Suicide
09-23-2013, 06:28 PM
It felt more like an homage to San Andreas, what with (late game spoiler) bigfoot finally being in it, it's still realistic and the aliens aren't even cartoonised, unlike the clowns from trevor's nightmare trip

The aliens look like Xenomorphs from the Aliens franchise - just bulkier and more humanoid. I loved the clown mission. I thought it was hilarious that the music played in the background was the same music score that was used during Pee Wee Herman's bad dream in PW's Big Adventure when the clowns operated on his bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPh64MGfcBM

sheepdean
09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I haven't done the threeway pot activist mission yet, I'm really hoping Franklin has something too, I was disappointed he just got driving missions

captainbeyond
09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
reading a few spoiler posts of in a row and then looking back on how they look makes this thread kind of hilarious.

I've been playing the game, when I can, for the last few days at a friend's house. I have to wait until November until I can get a console since I am spending a few hundred on some NIN shows.
The only thing that bothers me about it is the camera angle movement. It seems that when I am in a shootout with the cops, its really hard to instant pan/angle myself towards each individual one for targeting. Maybe I'm just rusty. I always have to turn the default aiming/driving sensitivity down. I thought the driving was really good with that setting adjusted. The default setting is absolutely ridiculously sensitive.

ibanez33
09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
I haven't done the threeway pot activist mission yet, I'm really hoping Franklin has something too, I was disappointed he just got driving missions

Franklin still has the assassination missions, too! Also, quick-save before starting the assassination missions, after Lester tells you which companies stocks are going to be affected re-load the quick-save and invest all of each characters money in the beneficial one. I missed out on that tip but some people claimed that by waiting until the end of the main story to do it they made about 100 mil per character by investing that way

bruised
09-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Just got Trevor. He's a lot of fun!

ibanez33
09-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Has anybody else beat the main story already? I don't know if it's just because I've had nothing else to do this last week but it seemed a lot shorter and easier than the previous games, but on the other hand I was so into the story that I didn't really stop to do too many side missions or explore too much except for a few times when friends came over and we just screwed around.

GavinCollins420
09-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Has anybody else beat the main story already? I don't know if it's just because I've had nothing else to do this last week but it seemed a lot shorter and easier than the previous games, but on the other hand I was so into the story that I didn't really stop to do too many side missions or explore too much except for a few times when friends came over and we just screwed around.

Ive finished it, and almost all of the side missions. I'm sad it's over...

sheepdean
09-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Main story IS shorter: only 69 missions. But the replay ability for gold, plus the amount of time some heists take (the sea approach for the second heist took me an AGE) does balance it - plus of course all those side missions.

ibanez33
09-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Main story IS shorter: only 69 missions. But the replay ability for gold, plus the amount of time some heists take (the sea approach for the second heist took me an AGE) does balance it - plus of course all those side missions.

I meant time-wise. A lot of missions do seem to take longer in this one, especially if you have to travel, but it seems like the older games just had more play time on them before I beat them... maybe I'll play through San Andreas again and just do the story to see how long it takes.

Frozen Beach
09-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Whoever thought the third mission with Dom was a good idea is a fucking moron. Landing on that truck was way more difficult than it should have been. It also didn't help that the driver was driving like an idiotic prick. Hell, there were times when I even landed on the back on the truck, but because the driver was crashing into someone, it'd throw me off and not count the landing.

Wretchedest
09-25-2013, 03:39 AM
I just reached the ending of the game and I have to say that, along with LA Noire, this is Rockstars finest acheivement. A really great game. It's very long, very epic, very big, and I could have kept going through missions without getting tired of it for quite a bit longer. In the past I had struggled to complete or even motivate myself to push through, rockstar games like GTA 4 and others. This really nailed it. What it lacked in terms of depth and significance that Bioshock has, it often made up for in detail and sheer craftsman ship. It's an excellent and ambitious game that exceeds it's own daunting hype. Good stuff.

I still have a shitload of collectables to find and GTA Online doesn't start for another week. So color me impressed with the main plot done with.

Frozen Beach
09-25-2013, 05:03 AM
I just finished it. Trevor might be one of the most entertaining characters I've ever played. Seriously. Some of the things in this game that he does, like the train heist, is amazingly badass.

sa_nick
09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm finally getting into the flow of things. Just played for like 6 hours, getting through all the initial Trevor missions+sidequests and the reunion at Mike's place. Hopefully be the end of tomorrow I'll have finished the second heist :D

Clownboat
09-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Trevor reminds me of Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. GTAV has awesome writing and performances (voice and mocap) all around, but Trevor in particular stands completely on his own. I'm deeply impressed.

Space Suicide
09-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Trevor reminds me of Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. GTAV has awesome writing and performances (voice and mocap) all around, but Trevor in particular stands completely on his own. I'm deeply impressed.

He reminds me of Jack Nicholson in the Shining, not just in the actions and dialogue but looks too. I wonder if it was an inspiration.

ibanez33
09-25-2013, 01:33 PM
He reminds me of Jack Nicholson in the Shining, not just in the actions and dialogue but looks too. I wonder if it was an inspiration.

Actually the characters were all modeled after their voice actors, and they did their motion-capture performances while they did their dialogue so the body language translated perfectly through their characters

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130721094618/es.gta/images/0/00/Trevor_y_Steven.jpg

I kind of wish they had a couple of celebrity cameos though. This game has been on EVERYONES radar for so long, I think they could have afforded to take a few million out of their advertising budget and cast a few recognizable people just for shits and giggles. Vice City and San Andreas were LOADED with guest appearances and even main characters voiced by A- and B-list actors and musicians.

Wretchedest
09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
I've been saying that Trevor is Jack Nicholson channelling Heath Ledger's Joker performance.

Frozen Beach
09-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Trevor to me is like Hunter S. Thompson and GG Allin crammed together, with a little Dale Gribble.

sa_nick
09-26-2013, 01:38 AM

I couldn't agree less. I'm constantly surprised at how uninspiring most of the writing and animation is, especially for a game with such a huge budget and long development. But I guess that isn't what the game's popular for and those aspects need to be pushed aside so it strengths (diverse, open world filled with shit to do) can shine through.

Wretchedest
09-26-2013, 01:42 AM
I couldn't agree less. I'm constantly surprised at how uninspiring most of the writing and animation is, especially for a game with such a huge budget and long development. But I guess that isn't what the game's popular for and those aspects need to be pushed aside so it strengths (diverse, open world filled with shit to do) can shine through.

I agree that it's uninspired but at the same time I think it isn't... bad per se, just impotent. The ending leaves a bunch of details out in the wind, there's tons of opportunities to dig deeper into the characters and their relationships that are completely passed over. But at the same time I enjoyed the banter and dialogue in the moment and i always wanted to see what happened next. kind of a wierd balancing act.

ibanez33
09-26-2013, 02:15 AM
I agree that it's uninspired but at the same time I think it isn't... bad per se, just impotent. The ending leaves a bunch of details out in the wind, there's tons of opportunities to dig deeper into the characters and their relationships that are completely passed over. But at the same time I enjoyed the banter and dialogue in the moment and i always wanted to see what happened next. kind of a wierd balancing act.

I agree completely, there should have been some falling-action type missions, like after the big score and deciding who to kill or not to kill, decide whether or not to tie up loose ends like other people you've worked for or people who have helped you on other jobs, and maybe a few more collaborative missions to get TPE up and running or bring Michaels family closer or get the Ballas out of Franklins neighborhood. It just felt like it ended too soon, they could have easily made another hour of main-story gameplay to ease into the "ok, that's done, now it's all side-missions" open world play style.

Oh, and that Trevor mission where you hijack and dive out of the cargo plane, all for nothing? Really? They couldn't have had a scripted crash so we could use the sub again on a salvage mission, or have it crash near the military base and have Michael and Franklin come up and help recover it while Merryland fights to reclaim it? Come on!

I do have to admit though, this is the first GTA story to keep my interest long enough to see it through to the end on the first play though. I never finished GTA III, Vice City took aeons of me giving up and coming back a while later, San Andreas was way too distraction with side-mission that SEEMED important, and IV was just tedious. I Love all of them with all of my heart, and while the stories are always AWESOME, this was the first one to actually be paced well and not drag on forever or have any game-breaking insanely difficult mission that made me give up for more than a few hours.

Wretchedest
09-26-2013, 02:56 AM
yeah the cool down was what made the Red Dead Redemption ending work. I'm surprised they didn't do it here.

Also i thought the whole choice to kill michael or trevor thing was bullshit. especially because there was an obvious way out. Who's gonna do that. Why would Franklin do that? the motivation isn't there. I had a feeling they might do that though. But it was so stupid.

ibanez33
09-26-2013, 03:08 AM
yeah the cool down was what made the Red Dead Redemption ending work. I'm surprised they didn't do it here.

Also i thought the whole choice to kill michael or trevor thing was bullshit. especially because there was an obvious way out. Who's gonna do that. Why would Franklin do that? the motivation isn't there. I had a feeling they might do that though. But it was so stupid.

Honestly I thought the "death wish" option was actually "kill Franklin", and during the huge take-down of everyone else, Franklin would have had to be killed off. It would have really sucked to have no way to end the game without having all 3 to free-play with, but I think giving any choice at all was stupid. the options should have been "Kill Devon", "Kill Steve", or "Kill them both", which would have had a HUGE impact on the post-main-story gameplay. Instead of an alternate ENDING it could have been an alternate mid-game, and depending on which you choose could have had a different last quarter of the game and added a LOT to the re-playability.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED Who's down for a ETS GTA meet-up? Launch day is going to be a clusterfuck but at some time in the coming weeks we should all get together and fuck some shit up. I don't currently have an active account but add me (GarrettR33) on Xbox Live and I should have it up and running within a week.

bruised
09-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm loving most of the radio stations, though the Mexican one is really obnoxious to me. I wish FlyLo's station was a bit better, as that is half the reason why I wanted the game in the first place. Soulwax is quality and both rap stations are great, but I think the true hidden gem is Lowdown FM. "California Soul" being included makes the game legendary in my eyes.

That said, I gotta be honest: The best thing about the game's music is the original score. I love all of the ambient music. The stuff that plays during loading screens, during missions, while paused in the menu... It's all excellent. Like, seriously good stuff. I can't praise it highly enough. I really hope Rockstar releases it as an album or three very soon.
I think DJ Shadow did the score, and it will be released as a collection with the soundtrack.

october_midnight
09-28-2013, 07:54 AM
LOL at some people on the net saying the main storyline is 'too short'. I'm about 18 hours played and at like 55% completion. Need to recruit some of these people for my crew, could always use a couple social giants that are online 24/7 to beef up the money pot lol.

Space Suicide
09-28-2013, 08:41 AM
LOL at some people on the net saying the main storyline is 'too short'. I'm about 18 hours played and at like 55% completion. Need to recruit some of these people for my crew, could always use a couple social giants that are online 24/7 to beef up the money pot lol.

Really? I've clocked about 13 hours total and am only around 38%. I don't even really play this game everyday for hours on end. I haven't even really touched it since Tuesday. People that complain it's too short are probably people that buy a game on launch and are done with it a few days later. I've never understood why people do that.

The Reason Being
09-28-2013, 11:42 AM
The likeness to Jack Nicholson is intentional, there's an unlockable clothing item, the Overlook Jacket, straight outta The Shining.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/D75TmEBTxUU/hqdefault.jpg

Has anyone signed up to the Rockstar Social Club yet? Checking out other peoples Snapmatic posts and comparing the stuff you do to the stuff your friends do is actually pretty interesting.