PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

GulDukat
04-16-2015, 04:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkWq6YeOI

In THE HATEFUL EIGHT, set six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as “The Hangman,” will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie’s Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie’s, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who’s taking care of Minnie’s while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all…

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-teaser-trailer-officially-released/

GulDukat
04-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Looks awesome. We have Star Wars, James Bond and this to look forward to!

BRoswell
04-16-2015, 04:49 PM
I was excited for a new teaser...until I saw that it was the same teaser that leaked last year.

GulDukat
07-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Article about the new movie:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wait-Quentin-Tarantino-Hateful-Eight-Might-Comedy-72389.html

Rabbit
07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
very very excited.

Space Suicide
07-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Definitely will be seeing this.

thevoid99
07-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I want to see this in a 70mm screen. For once in my life, I want to see a film in 70mm.

onthewall2983
07-11-2015, 03:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ODlJBvm.jpg

october_midnight
07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Ennio Morricone doing his first Western score in over 40 years...wow.

GulDukat
07-11-2015, 05:24 PM
The soundtrack will be a must buy.

Deadpool
07-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Does that mean this will be the first Tarantino movie with a full original score?? Django Unchained had the first song recorded specifically for a Tarantino movie, correct?

october_midnight
07-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Does that mean this will be the first Tarantino movie with a full original score?? Django Unchained had the first song recorded specifically for a Tarantino movie, correct?

I really hope so. Article. (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44846)

Maximilian
07-12-2015, 08:15 AM
I read him saying that he doesn't go for original scores because what if they do all that work and he doesn't like it? He would have wasted their time and his own, so he used songs he knew and enjoyed.

Guess he changed his mind....

onthewall2983
07-12-2015, 11:30 AM
I think it's more that Morricone would be one exception to that, since a lot of QT's recent movies have flat out used his music anyway.

I'm very excited for this, I don't think Morricone has done an American film since ​Mission To Mars.

thevoid99
07-12-2015, 02:13 PM
A Quentin Tarantino film featuring a score by the Maestro.....?

http://cdn.acidcow.com/img/20110205/1296870506_randymarshjizz.jpg

elevenism
07-30-2015, 07:14 AM
I want to see this in a 70mm screen. For once in my life, I want to see a film in 70mm.
Do it.
It was worth it to see Jurassic World (shot in 65mm) on one of those screens when i was in denver last month. We don't have one in the panhandle.

I am fucking thrilled about new tarantino myself.

So this, Star Wars, and Paranormal Activity V-those are the ones i want to at least see on imax.
PLUS, we have Twin Peaks and X Files coming soon to the small screen. I'm excited.

Edit: Oh, thevoid99 , i think i was confused about the 70mm FILM thing

GulDukat
07-30-2015, 08:29 AM
SPECTRE
THE FORCE AWAKENS
THE HATEFUL EIGHT

Nice.

october_midnight
08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
This looks fuckin' hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gygz7emUNRY

thevoid99
08-12-2015, 04:32 PM
I want to fucking see this in 70mm. It has to be somewhere in Atlanta and I need to be there.

slave2thewage
12-21-2015, 07:21 AM
The screener has leaked. I'll be seeing this when it comes out here, but this is tempting for a Christmas Eve viewing.

thevoid99
12-21-2015, 04:23 PM
I ain't watching a screener copy. Fuck that, I want to see it in 70mm. Screener copies is for suckers.

october_midnight
12-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Well, I'm a sucker. Watched it last night lol. Was pretty good, typical Tarantino though...it's almost as if he's hemmed in by his own Tarantinoisms. That's a word now. Tonight, The Revenant!

Your Name Here
12-23-2015, 06:40 PM

theruiner
12-24-2015, 09:25 AM
I ain't watching a screener copy. Fuck that, I want to see it in 70mm. Screener copies is for suckers.

The theater up the street from me is (I believe) the only theater in Arizona playing it in 70mm. They have a 7:00 showing tonight and I have to admit I'm tempted to go. If not tonight then definitely this weekend.

GulDukat
12-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Soundtrack is now out, just put in an order.

thevoid99
12-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I hope to see it this weekend as this might be the only time I will ever see a 70mm screening in my lifetime. I've been to a roadshow screening in 2009 for Che which is an experience that I will never forget. I hope to have something that is the same.

ManBurning
12-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Had full intentions of going to see the film tonight at the only theatre in town playing it for the 6pm show. As of 4pm it was sold out... so instead, streamed the screener from the comfort of my own home. Meh, shoot me... I tired to pay for it, had no other choice, lol.

Great film from Tarantino as usual. Easily one of the better films of the year.

mfte
12-27-2015, 06:08 PM
It was pretty good. Beautiful visually. Some parts ran a little long but much better than Django, which I didn't like at all. Jennifer Jason Leigh killed it.

slave2thewage
12-27-2015, 06:14 PM
I thought it started off awfully, but it got a lot better after about 45 minutes in. I think I preferred Django, if I'm being honest.

"Black dicks in white mouths" had me HOWLING.

bobbie solo
12-28-2015, 03:22 AM
went to the Roadshow viewing tonight at Cinema East in the East Village. It was alot of fun. First of all this part. movie theatre they screened it in was just beautiful. Big, multi-level, old-school theatre with a huge screen. The 70mm stuff really came through really well with the Wyoming landscape shots of course, but even some of the interior stuff was great with it b/c more was in the frame than you'd typically get in a closer shot. The stage coach interior shots for example were just bigger & wider than they'd be normally.

Cool extras you get as part of the Roadshow:

"playbill" guide to the movie, with nice full-color shots from the movie, cast & background info on everything

musical prelude right before the actual movie starts, with the movie's main theme

15 minute intermission

nothing mindblowing, but definitely sets the tone and made everything more enjoyable. Made it feel like an event.

As far as the movie...it's Tarantino people. If you like his style of dialogue and over the top bloody violence, then you'll almost certainly like this. Sure it could be considered slow at times, but I love how he writes dialogue and can listen to his characters interact all day long. So I loved it. The theatre was laughing hard throughout. Lots of humor.

I loved the mystery and wondering what was going to happen. I could see this one not having the same impact upon repeated viewings, but it sure was good first go round.

Liquid_Bastard
12-28-2015, 03:50 AM
I like what I'm hearing about this, so far. Especially it being classic Tarantino including the description of the dialogue. I really cannot wait to see this.

Deadpool
12-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Saw the 70mm "Roadshow" version of this last night (11pm showing on a Sunday) and it was nearly packed. It comes with a delightful program printed on high-quality paper. A lovely memento. The overture and intermission were greatly appreciated as well.

I think The Hateful Eight might've been the most fun I've had at the movies in 2015. There's such a great, uniquely Tarantino-esque high that comes from seeing his movies for the 1st time in a theater: the verbal parrying, odd line readings, and punchlines are perfectly hyper-real & the bloody payoffs are thrilling, hilarious, and shocking all at the same time – especially with an audience. In other words, I haven't quite felt all those things since seeing Django Unchained on Christmas a few years ago.

And Walt Goggins' performance in this makes me want to start watching Justified. But the whole cast is great. It's amazing how well a movie with 8 leads somehow works.

thevoid99
12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
I just came back from the 70mm screening and man, it's right now the best film of 2015 for me. Definitely one of the finest westerns I had ever seen and it has to be seen in that format. I'll divulge more into later tonight when I finish my review.

TheyCallMeDrug
12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
going to see the 70mm tomorrow and i cant wait. i caught the force awakens today and tomorrow, Tarantino. great one two punch.

these regal reclining seat theaters are pretty pimp too, can't wait.

thevoid99
12-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Here is my full review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-hateful-eight.html

Right now, it's the best film of 2015 for me.

Nyx
12-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Just saw it. Hated it. Pointless Tarantino mastrubation... I say this as someone who loves pretty much everything he made. Also, having the only female character there to serve as nothing but every guy's punching bag, from start to finish was kinda disturbing.

ghostaustin
12-30-2015, 02:25 PM
I saw the roadshow version and by the end of it I think I was just tired of sitting for 3 hours, not looking forward to the hour and a half drive back home, and a bit overwhelmed by everything I had just seen.

But, as is the case every time I see a Tarantino film the first time, the next day I couldn't stop thinking about the movie! I'm also somewhat obsessed with listening to the score. By far, it's probably the slowest of Tarantino's films and I think it may end up more underrated than Jackie Brown, but the character development was pretty amazing. I wasn't sure who I was rooting for by the end of it.

Jinsai
01-01-2016, 10:37 PM
I thought it was amazing. Absolutely the best new movie I've seen this year. I didn't actually intend to see it, I went into town to buy a bunch of eurorack modules, but the store was closed because it was new years.... Maybe I should have thought about that and called instead.

Anyway, I said screw it and went to see the movie by myself, and I had a blast. During the scene where Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.

Ah, good times. Sometimes going to the movies by yourself is really entertaining. I can't wait to see this again. Absolutely brilliant. I think this might be my favorite movie that Tarantino has made.

A question though... maybe my math is fuzzy, but I thought there were nine people in there? OB, Chris, Marquis Warren, John Ruth, Daisy, Oswaldo (Tim Roth was so awesome in this), Joe, the General, and Bob. Why was it called the Hateful Eight?

Actually, if you count the guy hiding under the floorboards, Jody, it's ten
Maybe I'm missing something here...

thevoid99
01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
I thought it was amazing. Absolutely the best new movie I've seen this year. I didn't actually intend to see it, I went into town to buy a bunch of eurorack modules, but the store was closed because it was new years.... Maybe I should have thought about that and called instead.

Anyway, I said screw it and went to see the movie by myself, and I had a blast. During the scene where Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.

Ah, good times. Sometimes going to the movies by yourself is really entertaining. I can't wait to see this again. Absolutely brilliant. I think this might be my favorite movie that Tarantino has made.

A question though... maybe my math is fuzzy, but I thought there were nine people in there? OB, Chris, Marquis Warren, John Ruth, Daisy, Oswaldo (Tim Roth was so awesome in this), Joe, the General, and Bob. Why was it called the Hateful Eight?

Actually, if you count the guy hiding under the floorboards, Jody, it's ten
Maybe I'm missing something here...

At the 70mm screening presentation that I went to, the whole theater were laughing at that scene with Samuel L. Jackson.

Jinsai
01-01-2016, 11:20 PM
I think I figured out why it's EIGHT though... after thinking about it for a bit, and after doing so I feel a little bit dense.

The only characters in the film that have no scenes of exposition or backstory of any real import are OB and Daisy's brother. They don't count.

TheyCallMeDrug
01-01-2016, 11:25 PM
here's a poster that was released.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/hateful-eight-banner-what.jpg

my wife and i asked each other the same question after leaving though.

bobbie solo
01-03-2016, 09:59 PM
At the 70mm screening presentation that I went to, the whole theater were laughing at that scene with Samuel L. Jackson.

same here. and to NYx...WRONG WRONG WRONG

Your Name Here
01-03-2016, 10:51 PM

TheyCallMeDrug
01-04-2016, 04:24 PM
the road show is out still in a bunch of places. try to catch it if you can, it really makes the movie much stronger. a lot of the theaters showing it are the new fancy recliners ones too which spaces everyone out. overall, i really enjoyed seeing the 70mm.

edit: just bought myself a pair for thursday which is the last day i see it playing in 70mm in my area. i couldn't resist.

Liquid_Bastard
01-04-2016, 10:20 PM
I saw this with my wife last night. She loved it. I wanted to love it but something just felt off. I think it's just that I hate having every character I like getting killed in most of Tarantino's films. Don't get me wrong, as a huge fan of Tarantino, I really enjoyed it and I think I'll just have to watch it again since it just might be a grower for me.

mrselfdestruct94
01-05-2016, 08:56 AM
This movie was fantastic! I thought it was just as good as Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds, although a bit different too because of the way it plays out. I don't think there's been a Quentin Tarantino movie where it exclusively takes place in a single isolated location. It actually reminded me a lot of Reservoir Dogs in that respect. All of the characters were awesome, the movie is nearly three hours long but it flows so well you'd never know it, and holy shit, Samuel L. Jackson shines in this movie. Everyone else is fantastic but his character takes the cake. Hopefully he gets some Oscar attention.

TheyCallMeDrug
01-07-2016, 09:57 PM
just saw it a second time and the imagery really set in for me this time. really incredibly shot. i feel like i enjoyed the 70mm on a new level knowing what to expect from the story.

2 things -

1. the shot at the end where warren is on the bed and mannix is in the chair and both of their faces are in focus is an amazing shot. you can see the out of focus background between them and the blur between the faces really stylizes it.

2. what happened to the cat? lol

onthewall2983
01-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Saw this today. Went home and took a nap, had dreams about blood. Can't be a coincidence.

ManBurning
01-08-2016, 03:26 AM
Is this a catch all Tarantino thread? I don't want to start a new thread about QT, but I'm interested in hearing what rank people would put his movies in from best to worst.
Well, his original "8" anyway... since Hateful 8 is technically being deemed his 8th film, and Kill Bill being considered 1 film, what would everyone's list look like?

I'll take a stab to get the ball rolling...

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Django Unchained
5. Kill Bill
6. Jackie Brown
7. TIE -Deathproof*
7. TIE - Inglorious Basterds*

* To me, these 2 movies are on the same level. I can't really rank one higher than the other. I just can't stand both of them. I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for putting Basterds on the same level (the bottom) as Deathproof, but that movie is just so incredibly over-rated and it is in no way his best work.

Here's what actually inspired me to bring this topic up. These guys duked it out to rank the films, and I cannot disagree more with how they ended up ranking them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mRwAHbOPqY

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mRwAHbOPqY)ALSO:

During the scene where Samuel L Jackson tells the confederate colonel the story about how he tormented and murdered his son, I completely lost it and couldn't stop laughing hysterically. I was the only one in the theater who thought it was hilarious though, and I heard a woman across the aisle whisper "this is sick and fucked up... What the hell is that guy laughing about?" Which made me break out laughing anew.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with that scene was. That woman is apparently not alone in her disgust... I thought that scene was pretty damn tame, it's nothing out of the ordinary when watching a QT film anyway. I didn't find any offense to it what-so-ever, so maybe that shows that I've been pretty desensitized? But that scene was nothing to take offense to...

The reason I bring the part up about that woman not being alone, is a friend of mine wrote the other day on Facebook that he was so glad that screener season is here so he can catch up on all the newest and hottest movies in theaters right now, and then someone responded with... and... I'm going to go back and find the exact quote because this is hilarious in itself...

"worst movie since django! nobody wants to see 55 year old samuel in a sex scene! especially if its with a dude! that was more offensive than caligula"

After that... he followed up his comment with another one:

it was better than django but that one scene was so offensive it ruined the whole movie that was a piece of shit regardless

lol... is this person on serious drugs??? Like I said... maybe I've just become desensitized to what I find offensive, but that scene was NOTHING to get riled up about. NOTHING.

Jinsai
01-08-2016, 05:01 AM
I actually think Death Proof is one of the most underrated movies ever. I thought it was great.

artdeco
01-08-2016, 05:38 AM
I actually think Death Proof is one of the most underrated movies ever. I thought it was great.

I also really enjoyed it. Never understood the real hate it got. Greatest car chase ever.

thevoid99
01-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Here is my list of QT ranked: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/quentin-tarantino-ranked/

Space Suicide
01-08-2016, 03:23 PM
I loved Death Proof.

october_midnight
01-08-2016, 03:24 PM
I also really enjoyed it. Never understood the real hate it got. Greatest car chase ever.

And IB at the bottom of the list? Below Django? lol. k.

Zipfinator
01-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Thought I'd join in with the Death Proof love as well. Probably my favorite Tarantino movie, even though I wouldn't consider it his best.

neorev
01-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, but will soon. My list looks like this at the moment...

Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Death Proof
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Django Unchained

Deadpool
01-08-2016, 03:57 PM
The insanely adorable yet fierce Zoë Bell makes everything better!
She pretty much steals Death Proof in more ways than one (though I love seeing Kurt Russell hilariously emasculated in the 2nd half of that movie, almost playing the opposite of John Ruth). I was so glad to see her in "Hateful Eight" with a speaking role.

If you guys haven't yet watched this director's roundtable (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/watch-thrs-full-uncensored-director-850260) (feat. Tarantino, Ridley Scott, etc), the whole thing is great, but to skip to the 1 hour mark if you want a heart-melting anecdote about Ms. Bell (which totally explains QT's loyalty to her).

artdeco
01-08-2016, 07:20 PM
And IB at the bottom of the list? Below Django? lol. k.

Not in my book, no. I liked IB much better than Django. I think you confused another person's post and mine.

october_midnight
01-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Not in my book, no. I liked IB much better than Django. I think you confused another person's post and mine.

Was just agreeing with ya...but quoted you instead because...reasons. Confusing now that I look at it lol. My bad.

Your Name Here
01-08-2016, 08:53 PM

TheyCallMeDrug
01-08-2016, 09:32 PM
so yea, back to the movie....has anyone seen it in both 70mm and digital yet? im gonna go to the digital soon with a friend who missed the roadshow.

so the picture should just be clipped on the edges im assuming? im curious about the differences.

bobbie solo
01-08-2016, 11:28 PM
1) Pulp Fiction
2) Reservoir Dogs (these two aren't highest b/c they're necessarily so much better than the others, but they signified a change in modern cinema)

3) Kill Bill
4) Inglorious Basterds
5) The Hateful Eight

6) Death Proof

7) Django Unchained
8) Jackie Brown

Rabbit
01-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Saw it last night. Not my favorite of his but it does deliver everything you'd want of Tarantino.

It does drag a bit in the beginning but that's about the only negative i can say about it. It's beautifully shot, the score is good, the acting is top notch,
There's something about the way this movie is shot, maybe it is the 70mm, since i did see it in a 70mm theater. There's something so good about that quality. Really, it's amazing. It's a damn shame we wont' see more of these types of films.

Definitely worth seeing in theaters.

Piko
01-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Starts off really slow. But when it gets going, it gets going. I'd recommend it. Hopefully, this is the last of him doing civil war-based movies.

thelastdisciple
01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Wow Rabbit no complaints about this being a Reservoir Dogs retread? I'm shocked!

Replace cabin with warehouse and gangster with rat and that's what you get.

OMG this film is going to stain the fabric of the cinema experience as we know it!

liquidcalm
01-09-2016, 03:33 PM
due to the silly disagreement keeping this out of over half the cinemas in the UK I had to travel a few towns over to catch this with my dad (a late birthday treat for him).
Well worth it. Tarantino's films are just made for the cinema, the intermission was good (more films need this!), I'm not sure how well it would stand up to repeat viewings, but it was great as an experience. Think I'm gonna have to go back to Django now and give that another watch.

TheyCallMeDrug
01-09-2016, 03:54 PM
i saw the 70mm twice and the second time was just as good if not better. going to see the digital once before it leaves theaters.

and i agree, the intermission was great.

Rabbit
01-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Wow @Rabbit (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1764) no complaints about this being a Reservoir Dogs retread? I'm shocked!

Replace cabin with warehouse and gangster with rat and that's what you get.

OMG this film is going to stain the fabric of the cinema experience as we know it!
Do i really have to go into how this isn't even remotely comparable? Nice try though.

Jinsai
01-10-2016, 12:50 AM
is it time for me to post "40 plot holes in The Hateful Eight?" I mean, I liked the movie, I liked it a lot... but if Rabbit is dragging himself in here to talk about it, I have to brace myself for this thread becoming a form of special torture...

halloween
01-10-2016, 06:08 PM
I don't know why people thought the beginning was "slow", I thought the dialogue was great and I think it was great that it went on as long as it did because when the violence did start, well it had an extra punch because I was pretty comfortable and relaxed at that point. If it starts out all guns out it has a different effect.

I over heard a lady wishing they would have warnings for when to shield their eyes and I of course was sitting there thinking "Isn't "Tarantino" enough of a warning for you?" Anyways, I loved how visceral it is. I don't think it was over the top violent, like the giant sword fight from Kill Bill, but it was definitely bloody and I'm not sensitized at all to this stuff, and I thought the story about the son sucking his cock was shocking for me. Doesn't mean I was offended by it all, but I definitely flinched and involuntarily closed my eyes and the likes, all while laughing too.

Rabbit
01-11-2016, 09:08 AM
i watched it a second time. it may be one of my favorite films of his. it seems so much more than his other films, the introspection is deeper, and an overall darker reflection of the current state of racial tension in america.

blackholesun
01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Loved it. Saw the roadshow version. Brutal and hard hitting.

I'll also give a shout out to Death Proof. I never got the hate for that either.

ldopa
01-12-2016, 05:12 AM
i love tarantino, i even love death proof. hateful eight is the first film of his i've tried to watch multiple times and haven't gotten 45 or so minutes in without falling asleep or getting up to do house work. what the fuck?

i can't get past the habberdashery or however you spell it.

Rabbit
01-12-2016, 05:13 AM
i love tarantino, i even love death proof. hateful eight is the first film of his i've tried to watch multiple times and haven't gotten 45 minutes in without falling asleep or getting up to do house work. what the fuck?
maybe try and go to the theater and watch it the way it was meant to be watched instead of stealing it.

just a thought.

ldopa
01-12-2016, 05:14 AM
fuck off. i acquired it.

cocksucker. it was meant to be watched at my house where i can smoke and drink freely.

niggo
01-12-2016, 05:33 AM
Lol, that's an appropriate reaction.

ldopa
01-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Saw it last night. Not my favorite of his but it does deliver everything you'd want of Tarantino.

It does drag a bit in the beginning but that's about the only negative i can say about it. It's beautifully shot, the score is good, the acting is top notch,
There's something about the way this movie is shot, maybe it is the 70mm, since i did see it in a 70mm theater. There's something so good about that quality. Really, it's amazing. It's a damn shame we wont' see more of these types of films.

Definitely worth seeing in theaters.

i watched it a second time. it may be one of my favorite films of his. it seems so much more than his other films, the introspection is deeper, and an overall darker reflection of the current state of racial tension in america.

just a thought.
yes, i'm still butt hurt at your snarky ass fuckwad unnecessary dumbass troll don't know shit about films or talking to people cause you're probably born in the 90's fucking comment. put me on your ignore list, pronto.

edit: there's a local theater in my parts that show 70mm films all the time. haha
it is not a reflection of current racism in america, because the racism seemed to be pretty open in that film from what i saw. whereas, it's currently not.
WHAT FUCKING INTROSPECTION?? IT'S A WESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm drunk so i'm being a bitch, but i think i hate you.

Rabbit
01-12-2016, 07:02 AM
just a thought.
yes, i'm still butt hurt at your snarky ass fuckwad unnecessary dumbass troll don't know shit about films or talking to people cause you're probably born in the 90's fucking comment. put me on your ignore list, pronto.

edit: there's a local theater in my parts that show 70mm films all the time. haha
it is not a reflection of current racism in america, because the racism seemed to be pretty open in that film from what i saw. whereas, it's currently not.
WHAT FUCKING INTROSPECTION?? IT'S A WESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm drunk so i'm being a bitch, but i think i hate you.
stop acting like a child. get ahold of yourself.

and yes i changed my mind about the movie after watching it because it stayed with me and when watching it again i think it's one of his best. his skills as a writer and as a filmmaker shine here. it's hard hitting and on point.

Conan The Barbarian
01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Loved it. Saw the roadshow version. Brutal and hard hitting.

I'll also give a shout out to Death Proof. I never got the hate for that either.

My beef with Death Proof is that it was strong the first half, then it fell the second half. Plus it was shown with Planet Terror, which was more entertaining. I might have to pull it out of the Tarantino box set and re watch, but my feelings might stay the same.

But I must admit, I wasnt a fan of Inglorious Basterds till the 2nd time I saw it.

Hateful Eight should have won more awards, the dialogue alone was the best part of that movie.

ldopa
01-12-2016, 11:23 PM
he got 'best original screenplay' i'm told, and dialogue is a very integral part of that. just a thought :P

any comments i make in here will end with "just a thought"
suck it, rabbit.

Jinsai
01-12-2016, 11:56 PM
My beef with Death Proof is that it was strong the first half, then it fell the second half. Plus it was shown with Planet Terror, which was more entertaining. I might have to pull it out of the Tarantino box set and re watch, but my feelings might stay the same.

I think the "double feature" presentation of Death Proof might have been part of the reason it was maligned. It was originally presented as if it was the second half of Planet Terror, and it doesn't make much sense that way. Even as a grind house double-billing, you probably wouldn't stick those two together. I still enjoyed it, but I disagree that the second half of Death Proof falls off... it changes gears in a way that I thought was amazing.

Then again, I actually didn't really love Planet Terror all that much. I know it's grind house, but it felt like the melting-dicks and castration-fascination became too meta and removed to feel authentic... and it really just hit me as being a little juvenile in its homage. Death Proof knocked it out of the park for me.

Rabbit
01-13-2016, 02:21 PM
i did not like death proof or planet terror the first time i watched it, which was the only time i watched it. maybe i'll give them another shot

Mr. Blaileen
01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Saw this the other day. I liked it overall, but the beginning was a tad slow for me. Perhaps I need to see it when I'm less tired, but I dozed off for a few minutes during the first act. The payoff was pretty good though, as is the case with most Tarantino films. The score and acting were top notch. Morricone crushed it as usual.

Space Suicide
01-13-2016, 06:17 PM
I think the "double feature" presentation of Death Proof might have been part of the reason it was maligned. It was originally presented as if it was the second half of Planet Terror, and it doesn't make much sense that way. Even as a grind house double-billing, you probably wouldn't stick those two together. I still enjoyed it, but I disagree that the second half of Death Proof falls off... it changes gears in a way that I thought was amazing.

Then again, I actually didn't really love Planet Terror all that much. I know it's grind house, but it felt like the melting-dicks and castration-fascination became too meta and removed to feel authentic... and it really just hit me as being a little juvenile in its homage. Death Proof knocked it out of the park for me.

Death Proof is by far the most out of the norm for Tarantino's films. I loved it. I also really really dug Stuntman Mike as a character, partially as Russell is a favorite actor of mine. As awesome cool and badass he was the quick transformation to a whining baby was enjoyable to see as well.

Maximilian
01-15-2016, 07:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXqL1YevMc

Archive_Reports
01-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Saw it, really enjoyed it.

emptydesk
01-20-2016, 08:36 PM
I enjoyed it, but most of QT's films since JACKIE BROWN have felt like a long collage of his personal fetishes instead of a story.

SchwarzerAbt
02-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Watched it yesterday in a normal theatre and liked it, although I found it's tarantinoesque coolness a little too forced at times. I'm glad I managed to catch it in English though, which always pays off - especially with Tarantino movies.

i did not like death proof or planet terror the first time i watched it, which was the only time i watched it. maybe i'll give them another shot

If you do so make sure to watch the stand-alone versions. Those are the ones I saw first and when I got around to watching the combined Grindhouse movie I was kind of let down because some of my favorite scenes are missing there. The fake trailers were funny, but don't make up for it.

Hazekiah
03-01-2016, 06:17 AM
The insanely adorable yet fierce Zoë Bell makes everything better!
She pretty much steals Death Proof in more ways than one (though I love seeing Kurt Russell hilariously emasculated in the 2nd half of that movie, almost playing the opposite of John Ruth). I was so glad to see her in "Hateful Eight" with a speaking role.

If you guys haven't yet watched this director's roundtable (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/watch-thrs-full-uncensored-director-850260) (feat. Tarantino, Ridley Scott, etc), the whole thing is great, but to skip to the 1 hour mark if you want a heart-melting anecdote about Ms. Bell (which totally explains QT's loyalty to her).

Honestly, she's awesome enough that there's really no need for further explanation.

But thanks for the great link!

I haven't gotten to that particular anecdote yet, but I'm watching the whole thing and my favorite part so far is Ridley explaining how one ending of Blade Runner was kinda shot by Kubrick. Specifically, the part where I knew exactly what he was about to say but Tarantino had no idea, lol.

Annnd that's why I listen to almost every commentary track I can find.

Hazekiah
07-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Finally saw this movie again after catching the 70 mm Roadshow version at a beautiful theater in NYC.

Unfortunately, sneaking into repeat viewings was impossible there, so I only saw it the one time. Till now! RedBoxed the theatrical cut four days ago and haven't returned it yet, lol. Almost twice a day, every day, w00t. GOOD SHIT.

The only part that pisses me off is that Tarantino apparently plans to retire from filmmaking after just TWO MORE films. WTF?!? When you make movies THIS fucking good, you DO NOT STOP at just ten, you fucking make them FOREVER.

Come on, man.

</3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Hazekiah/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160711_22_04_17_Pro_zps2vaoqpc6.jpg

Maximilian
07-13-2016, 09:39 AM
The only part that pisses me off is that Tarantino apparently plans to retire from filmmaking after just TWO MORE films. WTF?!? When you make movies THIS fucking good, you DO NOT STOP at just ten, you fucking make them FOREVER.

Come on, man.

His thing is that he sees his heroes making crappy films in their old age and he wants his career to end on a high note.

imail724
04-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Apparently the film has been re-cut into a 4-part series on Netflix (https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/bh9uf5/the_hateful_eight_extended_version_has_been)

Has anyone seen this?

GulDukat
09-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Apparently the film has been re-cut into a 4-part series on Netflix (https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/bh9uf5/the_hateful_eight_extended_version_has_been)

Has anyone seen this?

Just finished it tonight--fantastic. I can't compare it with the theatrical release and am not sure what scenes were added (haven't seen it since it was in the theater), but I loved it. Works very well as a four part series.