PDA

View Full Version : Wayward Pines

Space Suicide
05-14-2015, 08:44 PM
So who is watching this awesome shit? Join the thread and conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQ9Fl0VCkk

thelastdisciple
05-14-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm gonna check it out, it may be a poor man's Twin Peaks but i love that shit, it's what i loved about the Alan Wake video game and what i just might enjoy here.

october_midnight
05-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Watched it when it leaked online a few weeks ago...we dug it. It's got just enough of that Lynchian creepiness. Hope it continues well.

Wretchedest
05-14-2015, 09:49 PM
I like when something is twin peaks-esque. If it can channel that vibe and weirdness. But this is just aping twin peaks' shit too hard. From top to bottom it doesnt seem to have any of its own ideas or direction. I havent actually seen it, but the title and the sign next to the trees is enough to turn me off. If they had called it something else and marketed it or approached it differently i might have taken an interest when i heard through the grapevine that it was "sort of like twin peaks" instead it comes off like some executives got together and cooked up something that they thought resembled twin peaks... And i just feel like theyre patronizing me.

I might still latch on if i hear that its genuinely good, but what in the actual fuck with the stolen identity here?

thelastdisciple
05-15-2015, 12:09 AM
I also got Silent Hill and 1408 vibes from the premiere episode if that piques your curiosity at all.

There's also shades of Shyamalan's own "The Village" from what i got.

kdrcraig
05-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Forgot to set my DVR to record this, gonna watch the first one On Demand and go from there. Looks pretty cool.

Vic
05-15-2015, 10:20 AM
I also got Silent Hill and 1408 vibes from the premiere episode if that piques your curiosity at all.

There's also shades of Shyamalan's own "The Village" from what i got.
Yep, also the first scene was very similar to the first famous scene from "Lost", or that's what I thought.

It's like "Twin Peaks" meets "The Village" meets "Shutter Island" meets "Lost" meets Stephen King stuff...

I downloaded the pilot when it was available many days ago but didn't watch it until last night, then I looked for the next episode thinking it would be already online but it seems that the pilot was online before it aired on tv and the second one is not out yet, so I looked for more info and found out that it's based in a book, I read a review for it and the reviewer said that the ending was good (it's not revealed, except the fact that it's not like Lost's nor Under The Dome's):

http://www.tor.com/2014/06/13/it-wasnt-aliens-and-they-werent-dead-all-along-the-big-reveal-in-blake-crouchs-pines/

I don't know, maybe the ending will be disappointing anyway, but the pilot was good enough, much better than anything Shyamalan has done in his last movies (After Earth, Last Airbender, The Happening...).

thelastdisciple
05-22-2015, 12:08 AM
First rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

Aw shit......... they talked about Fight Club.

GET 'EM!

Space Suicide
05-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Surprised by the ending.

Didn't expect Juliette Lewis' character to die that soon

thelastdisciple
05-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Oh hey so Charlie Clouser does the score for this show, i didn't even pick up on that.

Pretty cool!

thelastdisciple
05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Wow now we're getting a bit Cabin in the Woods-ish.

This show has everything!

imail724
05-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this show kinda sucks?

Wretchedest
05-30-2015, 01:37 PM
I dont think it sucks but it is kind of lame. But watchable. I think the biggest thing holding it back is that none of the characters have any real personality or back sstory. They are all super underdeveloped and boring. The worst is the main character. We have no reason to like him and barely know what kind of guy he is, except that he had an affair with another character...

The most offensive thing, by far, is the family going to look for him. The whole husband being a secret agent and we know nothing about him thing is always sort of annoying to me, being that that is pretty much what she signed up for, and ive never been with somebody so conecerned about the finer details of my job. That this bothered her so much that they brought there teenage son to some strange town where he is busy doing possibly dangerius secret service work... Its just one of those shows where everything is driven by the characters being idiots.

Still i like riding out the mystery, but thats it.

thelastdisciple
05-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah to be honest i could care less about the characters and what they're doing, they're all in service to the setting as far as I'm concerned and that's the thing that interests me the most.

kdrcraig
06-02-2015, 06:52 AM
The most offensive thing, by far, is the family going to look for him. The whole husband being a secret agent and we know nothing about him thing is always sort of annoying to me, being that that is pretty much what she signed up for, and ive never been with somebody so conecerned about the finer details of my job. That this bothered her so much that they brought there teenage son to some strange town where he is busy doing possibly dangerius secret service work... Its just one of those shows where everything is driven by the characters being idiots.

She went to look for him because she thought he abandoned his family to run off with Kate, had nothing to do with his job. And the son wanted to go because he knew about the affair and probably wanted to beat the shit out of his dad.

I'm really digging this show, but I can see it stretching itself thin and getting stupid pretty quickly. I'm glad Terrance Howard is gone, fuck that guy.

Nyx
06-02-2015, 09:37 AM
I liked the 1st episode, the 2nd a little less, the 3rd one I barely made it through.. It's starting to feel kinda cheap and soap opera-like. I'll decide whether I want to continue or not after episode 4. If it's bad, I'm out. I wanted to like this.

thelastdisciple
06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Has anyone read the books?

Sebek
06-03-2015, 04:47 AM
I read the book a year ago, so far I've only seen the first episode of the show. Felt very similar to the written version. The book was not very long, though, so I find it difficult to see how they will stretch this out over 8-10 episodes (or whatever # it is). And for what it's worth at the end of the book the author specifically writes about how this story wouldn't have been possible without the influence of Twin Peaks, how he's a huge fan.

kdrcraig
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
There are 3 books though. Is this a limited run show or are they trying to make it a whole series?

Edit: Heard on the radio this morning that this is only going to be 10 episodes.

elevenism
06-27-2015, 05:42 PM
this show obviously owes a lot to twin peaks, but it's fucking great.
we turned it on a few hours ago and have already watched most of it if i'm not mistaken.

It does also echo The Village, Stephen King's vibe (the Stand in particular,) and Dark City.
But i don't care. I love it. It has elements of some of my favorite things and that works for me.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-27-2015, 05:44 PM
This show is awesome sauce and I love Matt Dillon. Need watch the last 3 episodes.. no time!

neorev
06-28-2015, 07:10 PM
because of this thread, i decided to check out this show with my girl.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???!??!??!!!
This show is insane!
I'm only 3 episodes in, but I hope it can keep up its mindblowingness each episode.
hooked so far.

Wretchedest
06-28-2015, 08:33 PM
The mystery is the only fun of it. But the last two episodes, were so purely exposistional they might as well have just had m. Night sitting on his sofa reading spoilers, it was kind of funny.

Piko
07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm an episode behind. Pretty good so far. I'm still not convinced that everything is how it seems, plot twists included.

Space Suicide
07-02-2015, 12:21 AM
The only thing that ever stumped me in this was wondering how the hell they got 2,000 years into the future but then they revealed the stasis chambers. That still doesn't help me figure out how Ethan, his family and Kate got to there in the future when they were in the present in 2014? Or maybe I didn't pay attention. Anyone shed some light?

Piko
07-02-2015, 01:23 AM
There's got to be some sort of time travel or plan. It seems like they brought the family in to keep him happy. But if they're in modern time, how did the sheriff come across the wife and son before bringing them into town? Maybe I'm missing something.

thelastdisciple
07-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Space Suicide, Piko I think they were showing us two different timelines in those earlier episodes similar to how LOST jumped around but just less obvious at that point without the warping sounds or any sort of date reference to go off of.

elevenism
07-02-2015, 02:25 AM
i do with agree what Piko said earlier though . i think they're (we're) still being lied to about something massive.

Piko
07-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Just seems weird how the sheriff was in both timelines. Either they knew Ethan would be a problem ahead of time, or he went back and got his family.

imail724
07-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Why couldn't it be that his family was "chosen", just like he was?

Piko
07-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Not sure. Maybe it was all for his son?

Wretchedest
07-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Just seems weird how the sheriff was in both timelines. Either they knew Ethan would be a problem ahead of time, or he went back and got his family.

I think its just the editing that makes this confusing, since they made it clear the sheriff was in charge of abducting people.

We saw it as: ethan demanded his family, they thought he would be a problem and sent the sheriff to get them.

But actually: ethans family went looking for him, and they didnt want them to find out.... Or something... So they captured them as well. Wayward pines has a fixed population, and few people get to see their family from hack in the day, so they only unfroze them as a last resort to calm ethan down.

Still, i could be wrong. That comment about one of the fbi agemts contacting the woman while she was in wayward pines is a thing. But it could be a red herring, he could he working with them too.

Piko
07-03-2015, 02:38 PM
I think its just the editing that makes this confusing, since they made it clear the sheriff was in charge of abducting people.

We saw it as: ethan demanded his family, they thought he would be a problem and sent the sheriff to get them.

But actually: ethans family went looking for him, and they didnt want them to find out.... Or something... So they captured them as well. Wayward pines has a fixed population, and few people get to see their family from hack in the day, so they only unfroze them as a last resort to calm ethan down.

Still, i could be wrong. That comment about one of the fbi agemts contacting the woman while she was in wayward pines is a thing. But it could be a red herring, he could he working with them too.

You're probably right.

TheyCallMeDrug
07-18-2015, 10:38 PM
curious to see if they wrap it up in any way other than complete carnage. although that wouldn't be completely a let down.

Dr Channard
07-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Finally sat down to watch episodes 1-9 over the last couple of days. The first number of episodes were bizarre and intriguing, in a good way. Like the town was Leave It to Beaver on the surface, but beneath that veneer was going to be the stuff of nightmares. But unfortunately, for me at least, the show lost traction pretty fast after the reveal. It all feels more silly now than anything. Maybe it can rebound in the final episode, somehow?

TheyCallMeDrug
07-23-2015, 06:29 PM
good ending. got your M.Night twist

neorev
07-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Wow... what the fuck?!??!
That ending!

M. Night had some interesting things to say in interviews that went up during the finale... hints?

TheyCallMeDrug
07-29-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm curious why this has such a little following? Prime time fox problem?

For a contained show in 10 episodes I definitely felt like it delivered what it promised. I find these types of shows love to over extend themselves and guide the story/main characters based on the possibility of a season two.

This show has a solid ending and room to either do a sequel, prequel, drop it completely and still keep the audience satisfied with the story arc. I know I'd watch a lot more TV shows if I were promised from the get that the story arc would be fit into to 10-12 hours. But I guess that takes a good script.

thelastdisciple
07-29-2015, 03:08 AM
Something else this show reminded me of, Rapture from the Bioshock games. Did anyone get Andrew Ryan vibes from Pilcher?

Piko
07-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Pilcher was definitely Andrew Ryan. Even down to the point of trying to destroy what he created. But, I think Pilcher was far more paranoid than Ryan.

barkhammer
07-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Pilcher was definitely Andrew Ryan. Even down to the point of trying to destroy what he created. But, I think Pilcher was far more paranoid than Ryan.

Now you've got me excited for a Bioshock TV adaptation....

TheyCallMeDrug
07-31-2015, 12:15 AM
i rewatched the whole season with a friend the past 2 days. a couple of interesting hints towards what was coming the whole time specifically when Ethan and Pilcher were talking about Stalinist Russia.

laci
08-19-2015, 02:37 AM
Saw the first three episodes last night. Holy fuck, this is amazing! And yes, Charlie Clouser's score is nice too.
Cannot wait to watch the last 7 episodes.

october_midnight
08-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Saw the first three episodes last night. Holy fuck, this is amazing! And yes, Charlie Clouser's score is nice too.
Cannot wait to watch the last 7 episodes.

It wouldn't be an entirely crazy recommendation to say stop where you are lol.

Dr Channard
08-19-2015, 11:06 PM
It wouldn't be an entirely crazy recommendation to say stop where you are lol.

I wish someone had told me that after about 3 episodes. After that it goes all wacky pretty fast.

october_midnight
05-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Make of this what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4f0S2neGw

elevenism
05-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Make of this what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4f0S2neGw
Hot Damn.
I am cautiously optimistic. I LOVED this show, but it kinda seemed like it should have been over.
How in the fuck is this gonna work?
I'm still looking forward to it though

october_midnight
05-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I'll give it a spin...the first half of season sone had a Twin Peaks vibe that I loved. Definitely wasn't a fan of the last half of the show. Once it lost the 'what the hell is up with this town?' vibe and actually started just flat out spelling out what was really happening, it lost me. Hoping they can capture some of what made the first half of season one really good.

elevenism
05-30-2016, 10:49 PM
So did anyone watch episode 1?
I'm getting ready to watch it, and i will be adding each episode to my plex for those of you who are linked with me ElectricKoolaid thelastdisciple halo33

thelastdisciple
05-30-2016, 11:37 PM
So did anyone watch episode 1?
I'm getting ready to watch it, and i will be adding each episode to my plex for those of you who are linked with me @ElectricKoolaid (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=332) @thelastdisciple (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=199) @halo33 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=376)
I saw it, I think I'm even less interested in the new lead character and i really hope this season isn't just the same thing all over again but having said that it's interesting going into it with knowledge of what's going on that the new characters don't necessarily have yet.

elevenism
06-03-2016, 10:50 AM
at first i thought "oh good god, this is awful, starting a tv season with 2 minutes of voice over."
but it got better and better.
i'm excited for the season, although, full disclosure, i am one of those few Emnight Shlamaslamam fans. Shalamalym? Shamlyman? whatever it is. ;)
Getting ready to watch episode 2 now.

elevenism
07-03-2016, 06:26 AM
okay i'm just watching this shit on GP at this point.

Some of it is okay and some of it is abhorrently bad.