PDA

View Full Version : Do you or don't you like Everything?

Ryan
08-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Personally I really like it. Interested to see what people think of it now after time has passed.

sheepdean
08-12-2015, 06:12 AM
I do, and I want that video. I've begged Shynola but they said no :(

Khrz
08-12-2015, 06:16 AM
It's the Starfuckers of Hesitation Mark. Startlingly out of character for the album, wayyy unexpected coming from Reznor.
As a track, it references musical tropes I don't appreciate when they're genuine already, and other than that I don't find it particularly special. It's well done, I get what the idea is, I just find it too obvious, or not enough. It floats in a sort of limbo where it tries to be tongue-in-cheek/ironic, but is still too close to the original style from which it takes cues to even be taken seriously as such. It either doesn't embrace its reference enough, or reveres it too much.

Wolfkiller
08-12-2015, 06:41 AM
I dig it. There are maybe three or four tracks I'm not overly fond of on that album, but Everything isn't one of them. Happyish punk NIN works somehow.

ChipRock
08-12-2015, 06:48 AM
I love it. Far from my favourite Nine Inch Nails track, but it has a certain charm as well as being just a damn good pop song. I guess it might have fit better on With Teeth or The Slip (musically not lyrically) but I quite like the way it's smack in the middle of Hesitation Marks contrasting nicely against Disappointed and Satellite. It's a nice little peak of positivity. I can understand why some people might not be into it, and that's fine, but surely it's not as bad as Starfuckers?

Krazy
08-12-2015, 06:54 AM
No, horse has been beaten to death so don't even need to get into the "why".

And... Starfuckers >>>>>>>>> Everything

Khrz
08-12-2015, 07:22 AM
I wasn't comparing the respective merits of the tracks but rather how they equally stand out in the middle of the album in my opinion.

Pitting such controversial tracks against each other would really be an exercise in debate sterility, and anyway we're in a highly subjective thread already. Asking which track is better than the other would go into full-on circlejerk instantaneously.

botley
08-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Personally I really like it. Interested to see what people think of it now after time has passed.

Still love it. Trent's no Randy Newman, but the slightest positivity of the intro and outro really bring out some extra contrast against the brutally dark bridge ("this thing that lives inside of me will surely rise and wake").

danzo_rezno
08-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Actually love this song, hated it at the first listen, sounded to upbeat for me but now I love it, can't help but bop around to it haha :)

BenAkenobi
08-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Re: ...after time has passed.

Still very fresh for me. Trying to estimate how many times i listened the whole album, i think 20-25. A lot yet to discover and to learn all the words.

WorzelG
08-12-2015, 08:36 AM
I don't think people would have taken against it so much if it wasn't one of the first things we heard from the album, making people worried it was representative of the rest maybe? I can't remember if we'd heard Copy of a or Find my Way by then

Deepvoid
08-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Good song but I need to be in the right kinda mood to listen to it.

Exocet
08-12-2015, 08:59 AM
I liked it the first time i heard it. i love the ending....it has a shoegaze sound
i literally could not understand the reaction at all.
it was better than Came Back Haunted..

Sarah K
08-12-2015, 09:08 AM
I like it! It's not like towards the top for me, but it's a good song. I don't skip it or anything.

EndlessLoveless
08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
I have an OLD ipod, like second or third generation, 4 gig i think...anyways it doesnt hold much so i only put ESSENTIAL tracks on it. And to add something new i have to take something off. Stupid way to live but i make it work. "Everything" is on it. (Seems like most of the songs on my ipod have been touched by either Alan Moulder or Dave Ogilvie)

Fadeout54321
08-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Hated it at first. Grew on me over time. I like it now! I think I like the album version better than the remix too.

billpulsipher
08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
greatest song he has ever written. complete fucking masterpiece. makes songs like 'somewhat damaged' and 'i do not want this' look like amateur hour.....probably his artistic highpoint

Khrz
08-12-2015, 11:11 AM
greatest song he has ever written. complete fucking masterpiece. makes songs like 'somewhat damaged' and 'i do not want this' look like amateur hour.....probably his artistic highpoint

http://www.realclear.com/assets/photos/245785_5_.jpg

Aaaaaaand now it's broken, thanks a lot...

Halo Infinity
08-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I definitely like Everything. Everything has been one of my most favorite songs from Hesitation Marks ever since it leaked. I'd even go as far to admit that I almost like Everything as much as Copy Of A.

Dr Channard
08-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I don’t like Everything. Also, I don’t dislike Everything. I’m not sure where this leaves me. I feel it important to mention the following likes. I like puppies. I like rainbows. I like unicorns. I like Carlton. :p

Just play the song live already.

BRoswell
08-12-2015, 01:02 PM
I like it a lot. I don't think it's as poppy or upbeat as the naysayers want to believe it is. I love the sarcasm and denial beneath it, and I think the ending is kind of beautiful. I know everyone hates the remix too, but I've grown to enjoy it as well (yes, even the crazy pitch shifting).

But, hey, haters gonna hate, amirite?

thevoid99
08-12-2015, 04:28 PM
It grew on me. I would like to see the video.

Ryan
08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I don't think people would have taken against it so much if it wasn't one of the first things we heard from the album, making people worried it was representative of the rest maybe? I can't remember if we'd heard Copy of a or Find my Way by then

I think that has a lot to do with it too actually.

sheepdean
08-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I think the people who think it's a happy song are the same people who think Born in the USA is patriotic

neorev
08-12-2015, 06:48 PM
I quite like it

Ryan
08-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Release the video!

Dr Channard
08-12-2015, 07:18 PM
I like it a lot. I don't think it's as poppy or upbeat as the naysayers want to believe it is. I love the sarcasm and denial beneath it, and I think the ending is kind of beautiful. I know everyone hates the remix too, but I've grown to enjoy it as well (yes, even the crazy pitch shifting).

But, hey, haters gonna hate, amirite?

Yeah, there is honestly nothing wrong with the song. Unfortunately though, it didn’t help the songs cause that even Trent seemed to distance himself from it following the initial public backlash.

Shadaloo
08-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Threw me for a loop the first time, but I enjoy it a great deal nowadays.

emptydesk
08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
If Clouser was to be believed Starfuckers was essentially a song he brought to Reznor. Makes sense as it was a song that could have been sold to any number of similar high production acts of the time. Might have been a reworked, retempo'd Zombie demo. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the post TDS farm team of producers had as much to do with THE FRAGILE's production as Trent. There's a distinctive soundscape vibe gone from when Hillebrandt was "engineering" that TR spent years trying to catch up with. See the USEFUL NOISE CDs.

"Everything" is a perfectly fine New Order-style punt fake. TR was signaling to other artists that he can do that type of production.

I think pretending that "Everything" is sarcastic is grasping at straws.

piggy
08-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Meh. I can take it or leave it.

billpulsipher
08-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Release the video!

There is a video for it...It features unicorns and the guy from fresh prince of bel air dancing

Conan The Barbarian
08-13-2015, 08:09 AM
I think my beef with the song is that I feel like it doesn't fit in the record. And his vocals. The song takes me out of the journey of the album.

But its ok not to like that song.

sweeterthan
08-13-2015, 08:20 AM
I love the song for the same reason I love echoplex. They don't sound like any other nin songs.

It really surprised me that Reznor let the haters get to him so much that he killed it as a single.

Release the video!

Seriously. It's gotta be better than the CBH video.

sheepdean
08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
As long as it doesn't KNOWINGLY CAUSE FUCKING SEIZURES, even a flat performance video would be better

Ryan
08-13-2015, 09:09 AM
I came back epileptic!

PhoenixML
08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I definitely don't know what to think of the song. I... don't want to hate it. But I can't say I like it.

BRoswell
08-13-2015, 02:27 PM
I think pretending that "Everything" is sarcastic is grasping at straws.

I disagree, especially with the whole "Wave goodbye. Wish me well." bit. He's basically giving the middle finger to those who think he's going to fail.

Jon
08-13-2015, 08:26 PM
I disagree, especially with the whole "Wave goodbye. Wish me well." bit. He's basically giving the middle finger to those who think he's going to fail.

Sardonic. I don't find the song to be ironic at all, but it is definitely a middle finger, if you will.

---------------------------------------

I listened to Hesitation Marks last night for the first time in several months, and 'Everything' really wasn't as bad as I had remembered. There is a "groove" that comes through nicely on headphones.

katara
08-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I like it a lot, and it's definitely not the worst song on the album, in my opinion.

OSLIN
08-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Everything is alllllrigh...ta.
It's Everyone that I hate.

botley
08-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Everything is alllllrigh...ta.
It's Everyone that I hate.

Yes, we know you. And I thought I was having all the fun!

icecream
08-15-2015, 09:16 PM
I didn't really like it the first time I heard it. But after playing HM 4-5 times it grew on me. At first I thought the album up to Everything was strong while the second half was just ok. But after a few listens I found the album after Everything to be my favourite. Overall, I would put Everything in the middle of NIN's catalogue.

fishtifer
08-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I like the Everything remix, but I still can't stand the album version. Its on my don't ever play list with Not So Pretty Now.

neorev
08-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Everything would have sounded awesome with the full live band, especially with Ilan on the drums and female singers.

tony.parente
08-16-2015, 12:13 AM
I don't like it.
Also there was a parody someone made where they took the everything track and threw it over a kia soul commercial with the dancing hamsters. I can't find it, anyone have any ideas?

witte
08-16-2015, 05:47 AM
Personnaly I dislike it very much.
I still don't understand why Trent writes such a kind of songs (like THTF, TBOTE, 1000000 , CBH etc etc).
Does he want more airplay?
He has his name in music business and everybody knows where he stands for. You can get airplay also with more quality songs.

But on the other hand, his journey through the compositions he'll make/he made from progressive stuff to commercial stuff is maybe the thrill he personally needs to give us all the good stuff.
Also, it's awesome to see all the variant/ different music styles he stands for during a live concert. Very special to observe.

Sallos
08-16-2015, 05:55 AM

The first or Lynchs? I really liked the first.

Dr Channard
08-16-2015, 05:58 AM
I don't like it.
Also there was a parody someone made where they took the everything track and threw it over a kia soul commercial with the dancing hamsters. I can't find it, anyone have any ideas?

Nope, but I remember this one pretty well. The fit was uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgoTKxFDrk

thelastdisciple
08-16-2015, 06:11 AM
I totally dig this song and probably even more now than i initially did when i first heard it but i also completely understand why folks don't take to it and i can't lie... i find the sync ups with the car commercials to be pretty spot on.

piggy
08-16-2015, 11:18 PM
I still don't understand why Trent writes such a kind of songs (like THTF, TBOTE, 1000000 , CBH etc etc).
He has his name in music business and everybody knows where he stands for. You can get airplay also with more quality songs.

But on the other hand, his journey through the compositions he'll make/he made from progressive stuff to commercial stuff is maybe the thrill he personally needs to give us all the good stuff.
Also, it's awesome to see all the variant/ different music styles he stands for during a live concert. Very special to observe.
I'm not sure he writes songs like that on purpose, I think it might be that there's a part of him as a songwriter that naturally goes in that direction because he has always had an ear for a melodic hook and has grown up listening to certain kinds of pop music. Juxtaposing noise or ugliness with impeccable melody has always been the basis of his craft, but I think he indulges that pop side of himself much more thoroughly for a couple of tracks on each album. And maybe at times there has even been pressure from record labels to do that, too.

jmtd
08-17-2015, 03:48 AM
It's my favourite track on the newest album.

PhoenixML
08-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Hey, I like The Hand That Feeds. And The Beggining of the End. And 1000000. And Came Back Haunted.

henryeatscereal
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't like it, but i can stand it better than before

Ryan
08-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Nope, but I remember this one pretty well. The fit was uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgoTKxFDrk

I want a Ford now. Damn subliminal advertising.

avesjohn
08-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

tracksfade
08-18-2015, 01:57 AM
i've always loved the track. i find it's one of the better tracks off of hesitation marks and a fun track to have on in the car. it jumps out at me like a cleaned up version of getting smaller, but what gets me the most is the second half starting at around 2:00, it's a classic nin get-lost-in-the-beauty-of-the-build-up and ends in a gorgeous way. it's kinda like the pop version of tdtwwa or underneath it all

staleincense
08-19-2015, 02:51 PM
It's been two years and people are still arguing about this

goddamnit

sheepdean
08-19-2015, 02:57 PM
It's been two years and people are still arguing about this

goddamnit
It's been 26 years and people are still listening to PHM what the fuck, people discuss and enjoy things from the past, fuck this shit I'm going to the future

staleincense
08-19-2015, 03:00 PM
It's been 26 years and people are still listening to PHM what the fuck, people discuss and enjoy things from the past, fuck this shit I'm going to the future

why do i even still log in here

sheepdean
08-19-2015, 03:07 PM
why do i even still log in here
It's not like this is a topic that came up in something else, this is a thread dedicated to the discussion. If you don't want to join in, then don't come to the thread? I don't want to do the "least favourite nin song from each album" thread, so I haven't posted there

staleincense
08-19-2015, 03:08 PM
It's not like this is a topic that came up in something else, this is a thread dedicated to the discussion. If you don't want to join in, then don't come to the thread? I don't want to do the "least favourite nin song from each album" thread, so I haven't posted there

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I was just suprised this was still going on

katara
08-21-2015, 05:05 AM

It's because the fans love big, anthemic songs like that. They're really fun live and everyone gets into it. As much as I love Find My Way, whenever he starts up a song like that the pit just dies instantly and people are checking their phones.
Everything is definitely a huge exception to this rule (imo the casual Wish/Closer fans would probably leave), but the heavier sections are very cool in a punky kind of way. It would be nice to hear live but I'm not holding my breath.

Nyx
08-21-2015, 05:25 AM
Hate it. Deleted it after a few listens, never looked back. When I listen to the album, it doesn't feel like there's a song missing, so I like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.

sheepdean
08-21-2015, 05:50 AM
Hate it. Deleted it after a few listens, never looked back. When I listen to the album, it doesn't feel like there's a song missing, so I like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.
You don't listen to the album then. I'm not a fan of Big Man, but if I'm listening to the album in full, it stays in place

BenAkenobi
08-21-2015, 06:07 AM

Heh, i know i probably listened PHM at least twice as much as H.M. during these 2 years!

Mutilated
08-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Its a real WTF moment on Hesitation Marks haha If I'm in a bad mood I'd probably say I hate it, if I'm in a good mood I tolerate it...but jeez the chorus vocal is awful, really not that keen, its so sub par compared to rest of the album. NIN goes pop-punk and fails.

Nyx
08-21-2015, 09:04 AM
You don't listen to the album then. I'm not a fan of Big Man, but if I'm listening to the album in full, it stays in placeOk? I don't think a single being in this universe benefits from me sitting through a song I dislike intensely, seems a bit pointless to me.

sheepdean
08-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Ok? I don't think a single being in this universe benefits from me sitting through a song I dislike intensely, seems a bit pointless to me.
My point is that you said "when you listen to the album". You're not listening to the album, even if you dislike part of it, you can't remove it and still call it the album

Nyx
08-21-2015, 10:44 AM
But I can and I do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryan
08-21-2015, 06:03 PM
"I survived everything."

"How?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theimage13
08-22-2015, 09:51 AM
My point is that you said "when you listen to the album". You're not listening to the album, even if you dislike part of it, you can't remove it and still call it the album

I don't think the word "album" has to be taken so literally.

Band puts out a new album. You listen. You like most of it, but maybe one or two tracks aren't your favorite. Someone says "hey, do you like the new album," and you simply reply "yes". Are you going to stand there and say "LIAR! You don't really like the album! You like some songs on it, so that's not the album!" And heck, the HM CD lives in my car's CD player. I often have it on in the background when I'm driving. It's an album. I'm listening to it.

Back on topic - I did the same thing with the version on my iPod (well, just unchecked it instead of deleting it). There's just something about that song that I never quite liked.

botley
08-22-2015, 09:59 AM
I go by the Dig Me Out rule of thumb: is it a worthy album, or would it have been better left as an EP/single. Hesitation Marks is definitely an album's worth of great songs (I count "Everything" as one of them). You could elbow out one or two others to make it shorter and they'd all still hang together nicely, but no way could I cut it down to five or six songs without missing a few of the best ones.

Year Zero, on the other hand...

Ryan
08-22-2015, 10:11 AM

Band puts out a new album. You listen. You like most of it, but maybe one or two tracks aren't your favorite. Someone says "hey, do you like the new album," and you simply reply "yes". Are you going to stand there and say "LIAR! You don't really like the album! You like some songs on it, so that's not the album!" And heck, the HM CD lives in my car's CD player. I often have it on in the background when I'm driving. It's an album. I'm listening to it.

Back on topic - I did the same thing with the version on my iPod (well, just unchecked it instead of deleting it). There's just something about that song that I never quite liked.

I think sheepdean only said what he said because he has always been so vocal about how militant he is towards listening to albums as a whole and can't listen to individual songs. I'm like that a lot myself actually. Not for everything, but quite often.

sheepdean
08-22-2015, 10:41 AM

Eh, that's different to me - you can like most of the album and say you like it. But you can't remove part of the album and then say you're listening to ~the album~. Hell, most people who are doing that are just putting it on shuffle anyway though.

The album of HM is all of the tracks. A playlist of your favourite HM tracks isn't HM, even if it's most of them. Na'mean?

Microwave Jellyfish
08-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Why even bother putting on an album if you're not going to pay full attention to each and every song while reading the lyrics and credits and studying the artwork in the booklet/printed PDF poster? It's like you guys don't even care about the artist's true vision or something.

Khrz
08-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Is... Is that sarcasm ? It's really hard to tell sometimes, 'round these parts...

sheepdean
08-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Why even bother putting on an album if you're not going to pay full attention to each and every song while reading the lyrics and credits and studying the artwork in the booklet/printed PDF poster? It's like you guys don't even care about the artist's true vision or something.
Hey, how you experience it is your choice. But you're not putting on the album if you don't, well, put on the album

Microwave Jellyfish
08-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey, how you experience it is your choice.
But if there's no booklet gazing, you technically removed part of the album, which - going by your previous post - makes it an incomplete listening experience.

Granted, it could be worse. I know some people who regularly skip no less than 91 tracks on Broken.

sheepdean
08-22-2015, 11:58 AM
But if there's no booklet gazing, you technically removed part of the album, which - going by your previous post - makes it an incomplete listening experience.

Granted, it could be worse. I know some people who regularly skip no less than 91 tracks on Broken.
The album is the audio. The package is more than that sure, Ghosts is a great example - but the album, of itself, is the tracks.

m15a
08-22-2015, 12:00 PM
It's like when you go to see a movie. If you step out for a minute to go to the bathroom, you didn't see the movie.

Skip the foreword of a book? You didn't read a book.

Leave a piece of crust off your sandwich? You didn't eat a sandwich.

(Or maybe sheepdean doesn't feel so strongly about those things, in which case the definition is more flexible.)

. . .Now, *that's* clearly sarcasm. ;)

sheepdean
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
It's like when you go to see a movie. If you step out for a minute to go to the bathroom, you didn't see the movie.

Skip the foreword of a book? You didn't read a book.

Leave a piece of crust off your sandwich? You didn't eat a sandwich.

(Or maybe sheepdean doesn't feel so strongly about those things, in which case the definition is more flexible.)

. . .Now, *that's* clearly sarcasm. ;)
Skip a CHAPTER of a book? Then you haven't read it, no. Skip a long scene (~7%) of a film? I'd say you haven't watched all of it either. Are those weird ideas?

And you're telling me as a kid no one ever said to you that you hadn't finished your sandwich because you left the crust? :P

Khrz
08-22-2015, 12:13 PM
That's really a battle of semantics at this point.

But yeah. Finish your vegetables, children. Otherwise, no dessert.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-22-2015, 12:13 PM
The album is the audio. The package is more than that sure, Ghosts is a great example - but the album, of itself, is the tracks.
But if by full album you mean the tracks only... Wait.

Are you trying to tell me that your HM sessions for example, consist of listening to the 14 main tracks, and do not end with putting on the "In conversation with..." segment? Yet skipping a 3 minute song somehow invalidates the "full album" thing?

Wow.

Khrz
08-22-2015, 12:17 PM
But if by full album you mean the tracks only... Wait.

Are you trying to tell me that your HM sessions for example, consist of listening to the 14 main tracks, and do not end with putting on the "In conversation with..." segment? Yet skipping a 3 minute song somehow invalidates the "full album" thing?

Wow.

"In conversation with" is a bonus on the digital version of the album. That's like reading the author's foreword. A nice addition, but in no way integrated into the work itself. In french I'd say "Arrète de jouer au con", in english it'd probably translate to "stop being an ass for the sake of arguing".

Dr Channard
08-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Okay, if I follow correctly, the album is the sum of its parts. What is the album… is the album. What is not the album… is not the album. Everything is not the album… but without Everything the album is not. Whoa, the analytics here are bending my mind.

So, does this logic go beyond Hesitation Marks? For instance, am I the sum of my parts? Suppose I had an arm amputated, without that part am I no longer me? Do I exist not? If not, who and what am I? Who??? What??? SOMEBODY… ANSWER ME… PLEASE!!!

Damn you Everything. Damn you for destroying my once simple and happy perception of reality. I’ll never recover from this.

BenAkenobi
08-22-2015, 12:30 PM
If a streaming music service plays advertisements after final track of album, does that make me no longer listen to “albums” anymore?

Microwave Jellyfish
08-22-2015, 12:31 PM
"stop being an ass for the sake of arguing".
Sorry, it's not something I can let go. What would you do if people started claiming the US version of With Teeth was a complete, full album?

Jokin', man. It was sarcasm, from post zero. Relax.

sheepdean
08-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Sorry, it's not something I can let go. What would you do if people started claiming the US version of With Teeth was a complete, full album?
Let's not get crazy here

WorzelG
08-22-2015, 02:06 PM
What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD

botley
08-22-2015, 02:31 PM
What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD
As with all of this stuff, there's room for interpretation... but I think in an online fan chat from around 1999 or 2000, TR said he considered the CD version the "real" album with the others as alternates.

Ryan
08-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Okay, if I follow correctly, the album is the sum of its parts. What is the album… is the album. What is not the album… is not the album. Everything is not the album… but without Everything the album is not. Whoa, the analytics here are bending my mind.

So, does this logic go beyond Hesitation Marks? For instance, am I the sum of my parts? Suppose I had an arm amputated, without that part am I no longer me? Do I exist not? If not, who and what am I? Who??? What??? SOMEBODY… ANSWER ME… PLEASE!!!

Damn you Everything. Damn you for destroying my once simple and happy perception of reality. I’ll never recover from this.

Jesus Christ, "Everything" is actually the secret meaning of life. What a cunning place to put it.

Ryan
08-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Leave the answer of that to God.

theimage13
08-23-2015, 12:06 AM
I love this discussion, but I'm afraid it's going to get locked down on account of being waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. So I'll just reiterate: Everything = meh for me, but given how rare that is for a NIN track, I'm not at all upset about it.

Dr Channard
08-23-2015, 12:49 AM
I love this discussion, but I'm afraid it's going to get locked down on account of being waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

Seriously, I hope this place has decent insurance. It’s like the mayhem guy was turned loose on the previous page.

http://i62.tinypic.com/bhx1r6.gif

Everything is just such a weird song. Hearing it in the middle of HM, and I can’t help but imagine hearing Not So Pretty Now play in the middle of With Teeth. Just, a strange thought.

jmtd
08-24-2015, 03:47 AM
I guess I haven't really considered Everything in the context of HM, because I haven't yet enjoyed listening to HM as an album. And I really wish I did, but nothing else on there has popped out at me. I suppose I'd love to hear him crank out some tracks up there with the latter-half of TDS, but he either isn't going to, or the rest of HM was just that, and didn't deliver.

Looking back on post TF albums, there's always been one or two stand out tracks for me that did something new (TLBTB, IIT,HD/CR,DS, all of Ghosts); Everything is that track for me on HM. I realise the vibe is really at odds with everything else he's done, but that's why it works for me. I'm a big fan of the Cure and it really captures that spirit, IMHO. It's up there with "Just Like Heaven" for having an infectious take-away vibe. I still hear it playing in my head long after I've stopped listening. I get why a lot of fans didn't respond well to it, but I wish Trent was brave enough to ignore them and be proud of it regardless.

botley
09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I still liiiiiiii-iiiike "Everything"

Avarik
09-02-2015, 07:16 PM
If Trent was so proud of it why didn't he perform it live?

seasonsinthesky
09-02-2015, 07:21 PM

Here I thought it was perfectly fine for artists to make music they can't properly sing every night on tour because an album can be whatever they want without worrying about how to play it live later. How silly of me!

Someone call TR and tell him to ditch the way he wants to express his creativity and make Steve Albini record his live band instead.

sheepdean
09-02-2015, 07:29 PM
http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live

BRoswell
09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live

Man, he must HATE Ghosts. Look how many songs from it he never played.

botley
09-02-2015, 10:05 PM
NIN definitely planned to play it live at one point. Likely as far back as when Belew was in the band (he sings on the album version, after all). In a video interview with his stage tech, we saw Alessandro had a synth patch prepped for it. So you might say...

They had triiiiiiiii-iiiiiiied "Everything"

Dr Channard
09-02-2015, 10:35 PM

More specifically about Everything from NinWiki

http://i57.tinypic.com/kas8wl.jpg

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.

placepinion
09-02-2015, 10:50 PM
More specifically about Everything from NinWiki

http://i57.tinypic.com/kas8wl.jpg

If this is correct, he didn’t sound all that proud, more like aggravated by the reception. But it still would have been interesting to hear a live production of it just once, even if just a rehearsal on a bootleg. I really can’t imagine where or how Lisa and Sharlotte would have fit in on Everything.

I think the people who hate this song either really do hate it or just don't get it. To me it's as dark as anything Trent's done. It's just sort of done in a bombastically sardonic way. It's catchy and it's upbeat with exclamations that don't seem so happy when you dig down beneath the surface.

Hazekiah
09-03-2015, 05:18 AM
An album is the the COMPLETE, long form work.

An album minus one song is just that, i.e. NOT the album.

It's pretty straightforward, lol.

As with all of this stuff, there's room for interpretation... but I think in an online fan chat from around 1999 or 2000, TR said he considered the CD version the "real" album with the others as alternates.

I think the point there is that the CD version was the one meant for the history books and the widest possible exposure, whereas the vinyl/cassette versions were the extended versions meant to accommodate their respective, dying mediums.

Here I thought it was perfectly fine for artists to make music they can't properly sing every night on tour because an album can be whatever they want without worrying about how to play it live later. How silly of me!

Someone call TR and tell him to ditch the way he wants to express his creativity and make Steve Albini record his live band instead.

OMFG, if you're trying to make me cum then that's a pretty good start.

O_O

Khrz
09-03-2015, 05:32 AM
Everything is just such a weird song. Hearing it in the middle of HM, and I can’t help but imagine hearing Not So Pretty Now play in the middle of With Teeth. Just, a strange thought.

Except that Not So Pretty Now is stylistically consistent with the rest of With_Teeth, while Everything feels like a donkey punch.

Source : NSPN is in the middle of W_T for me.

Dr Channard
09-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Except that Not So Pretty Now is stylistically consistent with the rest of With_Teeth, while Everything feels like a donkey punch.

Source : NSPN is in the middle of W_T for me.

So if one were to add the Not So Pretty Now track to the With Teeth album and listen to the whole thing through, is that still listening the album? Or by adding a stray track did you make it not the album?

http://i61.tinypic.com/24onc6e.jpg

Khrz
09-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Well since I added tracks that aren't part of the album as envisioned by the artist, I'm listening to an album, just not the album. It's a glorified playlist, even if its scope is extremely narrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK_nA2iVXw

Halo Infinity
09-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Yes, even after 4 years and counting, it just keeps getting better and better. I almost like Everything as much as Copy Of A. That hasn't changed either.

(As much as I love Everything, it still hasn't topped Copy Of A for me.)

But yes, for a 2nd favorite, that has to count for me liking Everything a lot.

astfgyl
09-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Everything is one of my favourite songs from HM. I love it.

tony.parente
09-27-2017, 07:36 PM
It's worse than Heaven Upside Down.

sheepdean
09-27-2017, 08:11 PM
A great song isn't as good as a great album, fine, fine

HWB
09-27-2017, 08:17 PM

Let's not get carried away.

Everything is great.

eversonpoe
09-27-2017, 11:36 PM

tony, everything is awesome

ekrekel
09-27-2017, 11:44 PM
It's down there with She's Gone Away...Flame on.

tony.parente
09-28-2017, 12:06 AM
tony, everything is awesome

Lmao let’s hang out again soon.

nmitchell86
09-28-2017, 12:32 AM
OK, here is my two cents...

I like the song. I liked it when I first heard it after downloading the album after ordering the CD back in 2013, and I really dig the remix. The lyrics are a nice brand of fuck you over a poppy track. The fuck you, to me, is directed at the same people that would absolutely love the track but think it should have some bullshit fake ass good looking radio pop singer on it. The kind of person who disposes of all content, a real meaningless All-American consumer. The kind of person that really has no clue what is going on. But, smart people can like poppy tracks too. The difference is that they appreciate, understand and enjoy smart clever "things" and they think.

I have the track in my mp3 player for when I run due to the steady bpm and the real angry eye rolling fuck you under tone of the message in the lyrics. Now the remix, the real gem here is the remix track its self. To me it's like some b-boy turntablist music. And the vox/ auto tune sounding vocals... see my previous comments about who the target audience the fuck you is directed at.

In closing, to me the message of "Everything" comes from the same place as the message from HIS from Broken. The difference is that HIS to me is a sarcastic message of "acceptance of our shit society" where as Everything is like "I lived through our shit society and survived, Fuck you."

eversonpoe
09-28-2017, 08:04 AM
It's down there with She's Gone Away...Flame on.

wait, are you saying that both "everything" and "she's gone away" rank near the bottom of the NIN catalog for you?

BRoswell
09-28-2017, 02:03 PM
I still love the sarcastic bite of "Everything", though it's gotten a lot less play around here with the recent EPs.

sonic_discord
09-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Like most, when I first heard Everything (which was when it debuted on Beats 1 during an interview with TR before the album release, if I'm not mistaken), I was taken aback by the unexpected upbeat-sounding nature of the song, but as it progresses, and that wall of sound kicks in, it begins to sound more like the usual NIN sound. I think the song being in major key is what gives it that upbeat vibe, but when you read/listen to the lyrics, it certainly doesn't seem as positive as it may sound at first. It wasn't one of my favorites on Hesitation Marks (and it still isn't, but I don't dislike it either), but that's mostly because there are so many other great songs on the album (Copy of a, All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, I Would for You, and In Two being my favorites). I must say though, I actually really like the song's ending. And although it may not be among my favorites, I don't understand the amount of hate this song gets.

azad_ninja
09-28-2017, 02:45 PM
I like the song when I listen to the album, but I never seek it out on its own or skip to it.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Its the "Club America" of the NIN discography......Cure fans will get the refererence

azad_ninja
09-28-2017, 02:48 PM

You can hear part of the live version if you track down the sort of Behind the Scenes / backstage before the tour video leading up to the HM tour. It's buried in there during a segment, and it's clearly no tthe album version. sounded good.

azad_ninja
09-28-2017, 02:56 PM

You can hear part of the live version during the Behind the Scenes / backstage before the tour video leading up to the HM tour.

HERE: https://youtu.be/1NwgIhDzlN4?t=3m14s

hologram parade
09-28-2017, 03:16 PM
i think everything is one of the weakest songs tr has ever written, and i really don't understand the joy division reference he's trying to make

Toadflax
09-28-2017, 03:21 PM
I pretty much liked all of Hesitation Marks when I first heard it and over the first few listens. Over time, the formulaic structure of the songs has made me reach for the album less than others, but for that exact same reason, Everything has become one of my favorite songs from it. Like most of the songs on the new EP's, Everything is unusual and challenging rather than just playing it safe.

Louie_Cypher
09-28-2017, 03:33 PM
it's very belew sounding which is very sometimes an issue for some fans I personal a fan of Adrian Belew's both his solo work work with NIN and crimson
-Louie

BRoswell
09-28-2017, 03:49 PM
i think everything is one of the weakest songs tr has ever written, and i really don't understand the joy division reference he's trying to make

Listen to this and it might make more sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BIElTtN6Fs

hologram parade
09-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Nah... Disorder is a good song and works on the album, but Everything really isn’t and ruins HMs flow for me on almost every listen. It takes me out of the listening experience. To my knowledge Everything was written specifically for the greatest hits comp that’s presumably still coming out down the road and it shows. I own, and listen to JD records so it’s not that I don’t know what they sound like

*i should’ve just posted in controversial opinions thread

neorev
09-28-2017, 04:35 PM
I quite enjoy Everything and it should have been a single. Yeah, shoot me. It's a catchy song and would have done well on radio. I don't get the hate for it. It's one of the better tracks on HM. I know, weird, right?

sonic_discord
09-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Nah... Disorder is a good song and works on the album, but Everything really isn’t and ruins HMs flow for me on almost every listen. It takes me out of the listening experience. To my knowledge Everything was written specifically for the greatest hits comp that’s presumably still coming out down the road and it shows. I own, and listen to JD records so it’s not that I don’t know what they sound like

*i should’ve just posted in controversial opinions thread

But do you feel the same way about Satellite? Because BOTH of those were the first two songs written for (as you pointed out) what was initially intended to be new songs tacked onto a greatest hits album. BUT the session led to an entire album instead. It's not like they made those two songs, took a break for a year and then wrote the rest of the album. From what I understand, the creative juices just kept flowing and they wrote all of the songs during the same sessions. Everything and Satellite just happen to be the first two that were written and then the aim shifted from Greatest Hits to new album.

HWB
09-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Everything is perfect on the album, imho, after it plays I feel like the album lightly changes. With the songs that came before it being hits, the album then shifts into slightly more experimental, less catchy and I think this is where the album gets better.

I can totally see the Joy Division comparison, but more from the album "Closer" rather than "Unknown Pleasures", stuff like "Isolation" where you have pretty upbeat dancy tune set to utterly depressing lyrics. It isn't exactly like that of course, but I can see the comparison.

hologram parade
09-28-2017, 06:26 PM
But do you feel the same way about Satellite? Because BOTH of those were the first two songs written for (as you pointed out) what was initially intended to be new songs tacked onto a greatest hits album. BUT the session led to an entire album instead. It's not like they made those two songs, took a break for a year and then wrote the rest of the album. From what I understand, the creative juices just kept flowing and they wrote all of the songs during the same sessions. Everything and Satellite just happen to be the first two that were written and then the aim shifted from Greatest Hits to new album.

Like I wrote above I should’ve just posted in controversial options thread - people here just want to dissect your posts and argue if you don’t like something and it’s pretty meh

I dig Satellite (especially live - I think I saw the debut), but I think it’s overall a much stronger track than Everything is, even though it could feel like a YZ leftover it still fits with the rest of HM better than Everything imo

ekrekel
09-28-2017, 06:48 PM
wait, are you saying that both "everything" and "she's gone away" rank near the bottom of the NIN catalog for you?

Of the non-remix/instrumentall albums, yes. Without generating a full list it’s fair to say they’re in the bottom 10. There are others I really didn’t like until I heard it live but I really don’t see that happening with these two. Though it sounds like we’ll never hear Everything live.

If you’re curious Everything is ranked above SGA with Ringfinger and Purest Feeling in between.

sonic_discord
09-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Like I wrote above I should’ve just posted in controversial options thread - people here just want to dissect your posts and argue if you don’t like something and it’s pretty meh

I dig Satellite (especially live - I think I saw the debut), but I think it’s overall a much stronger track than Everything is, even though it could feel like a YZ leftover it still fits with the rest of HM better than Everything imo

Just wanted to say that I agree with everything you posted. I may have dissected your post a bit, but didn't mean to argue your opinion. Satellite > Everything for sure.

eversonpoe
09-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Of the non-remix/instrumentall albums, yes. Without generating a full list it’s fair to say they’re in the bottom 10. There are others I really didn’t like until I heard it live but I really don’t see that happening with these two. Though it sounds like we’ll never hear Everything live.

If you’re curious Everything is ranked above SGA with Ringfinger and Purest Feeling in between.

interesting! what is it about she's gone away that you dislike so strongly? like, i can understand why people dislike "everything" (despite how much i like it), but she's gone away is a totally different story. (also, not telling you that you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion. i'm actually really interested in your opinion!)

ekrekel
09-29-2017, 11:31 PM
interesting! what is it about she's gone away that you dislike so strongly? like, i can understand why people dislike "everything" (despite how much i like it), but she's gone away is a totally different story. (also, not telling you that you're wrong or not entitled to your opinion. i'm actually really interested in your opinion!)

The marching drum beat just sort of drones on for me and I'm not a fan of the chorus at all. I appreciate the lyrical homage to Reptile and TDS era ambient screaming but that's about it. A lot of NIN can be repetitive, but usually there's some lyrical or vocal variation or a building cacophony to keep it from just sounding like he's saying the same thing over and over(x12) again. Not this one.

Bachy
09-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Wait, people are actually still debating over this track?

https://media.giphy.com/media/c453ypM8rqm1a/giphy.gif

ninsp
09-30-2017, 10:17 AM
I really don’t like it but damn if I don’t sing along.

neorev
09-30-2017, 02:23 PM
If you can like Discipline and then go bash Everything, you confuse and baffle me. Discipline is vanilla NIN. Yeah, I said it. Discipline is much more embarrassing and cheesy.

botley
09-30-2017, 02:43 PM
No, if anything "Discipline" is BDSM!

Krazy
09-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Could never get over the horribly generic programmed beat (something that plagued HM and continues into the EP's too often), Trents voice cracking in the first line, or the guitar that sounds like The Cure.

botley
09-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Oh noes programmed beats on NIN records! In 2017! And 2013! And 2008! And 2005! And 1999! And 1994! And 1992! And 1989!

lordfalconer
09-30-2017, 05:31 PM
I'll take Everything over Running, thats for damn sure.

Krazy
09-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Oh noes programmed beats on NIN records! In 2017! And 2013! And 2008! And 2005! And 1999! And 1994! And 1992! And 1989!

More often than not, a majority of the electronic beats recorded prior to HM resembled drums. I'm well aware of Trents use of electronic beats dating back to the 80's.

jmtd
10-01-2017, 12:13 PM
I think the turning point for the drums was around Year Zero

Krazy
10-01-2017, 02:30 PM
I think the turning point for the drums was around Year Zero

And that fit very well with the more electronic music that was prevalent on YZ. Most of the HM songs that have the generic beats would've been served better with percussion that sounded more like actual drums. VMOE is a good example of a terrific HM tune with more traditional drums.

neorev
10-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Krazy
Yeah, the drums are the main reason I can't really get into Hesitation Marks and the songs become boring and stagnant. The drums sound so monotonous, lifeless, and don't really vary much. HM songs sound much better live because there's a mix of electronic beats and live drums and it helps vary it up and breathe some life into the tracks. I guess that's why I like Everything, it breaks out of that monotony.

The main reasons I've been disappointed with post-With Teeth NIN up until NTAE were the beats were getting kinda boring and souless. NTAE changed it up and I loved it, but AV went back into souless YZ/HM/HTDA beats again. I'm not asking for an album of live drums, just vary and mix it up.

I really do wish Trent and Atticus collaborated with more people like they did with NTAE because it really does seem to help. Record more live instruments and elements to chop up and manipulate.

NTAE is the best things Trent has done since With Teeth in my book. I was a bit disappointed when AV went back to the usual. AV is at least stronger than post WT-NIN, but felt too similar. I'll take another NTAE styled release.

jmtd
10-02-2017, 01:12 AM
I guess it goes without saying that there are exceptions. "In this twilight"'s beats are great imho

neorev
10-02-2017, 02:00 AM
I guess it goes without saying that there are exceptions. "In this twilight"'s beats are great imho

I'll give him In This Twilight and My Violent Heart off Year Zero.

Krazy
10-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Absolutely. Vessel (and many NIN songs prior to and after YZ) would probablysound pretty bad with more live drums. Going back to Everything though, it's pretty much a rock song- would've been better served without the programmed beat.

jmtd
10-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Absolutely. Vessel (and many NIN songs prior to and after YZ) would probablysound pretty bad with more live drums. Going back to Everything though, it's pretty much a rock song- would've been better served without the programmed beat.

I can agree with that, yes. I do like Everything, but it would have been very interesting to hear a live drum version. Similarly, "The Beginning Of The End" and "Meet Your Master" worked really well live, with a bit of live atmosphere and live drumming.

Halo Infinity
10-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Lyrical content and drumming aside, I think I like Everything in a similar vein of how/why I got to like Getting Smaller, which then lead to my appreciation of Branches/Bones.

Although in this case, I got Getting Smaller to thank for that.

Destruct26
10-02-2017, 11:33 PM
For me, I really enjoyed it. It’s lyrical content is what makes it dark and sad, only masked by a seemingly upbeat positive music track. Always reminded me of a lost WITH TEETH track- specifically, HOME. Some of the ‘bleeding through’ references call back to WITH TEETH, and the album as a whole. (ALSO- the ‘wave goodbye’ lyrical reference from the song WITH TEETH.)

HOME 3.11

Everything is catching up with me
I awake to find I'm not at all where I should be
And it feels I'm getting to the end
And it's hard to figure out what's real and what's pretend

To break from what we're tied to
God knows how much I've tried to
And I am still inside you

I escape every now and then
And to think I find myself back here again and again
I used to know who I was until you came along
I return to the only place I've ever felt that I belong

To break from what we're tied to
God knows how much I've tried to

EVERYTHING 3:20

I survived everything
I have tried everything
Everything
And anything

All the walls begin to dissolve away
Feel your hands begin to shake
And just who you think you used to be
All begins to bend and break

Wave goodbye
Wish me well
I've become something else
Something else
(Just as well, really)

But this thing that lives inside of me
Will surely rise and wake
And his seed that bleeds right through to me
As it comes to grab and take

I am home
I believe
I am home
I am free
I am home
I can see
Always here
Finally

Blacksonar
10-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Was just listening to Hesitation Marks last week. Seems 'Everything' is about the only song that doesn't seem to fit. It's okay, but not as developed as the rest of the album. I appreciated the spoken word explanation of the background for the album, especially the unfinished demos. I think that's why 'Everything' seems like the outlier.

Has a real 60s pop sensibility to it that I can't put my finger on. maybe the chord progressions, maybe the jangly guitar.

Jordan
10-18-2017, 01:23 PM
I found Trent Reznor's explanation of how Hesitation Marks came about to be interesting. He said in an interview (I forget which) that he wrote two songs that were intended to be used on a greatest hits album. Those songs were Everything and Satellite. He approached those songs very differently and was inspired by the groove and the synth used in Satellite. He chose to continue down that path and Hesitation Marks was born.

For this reason Everything feels out of place and doesn't fit with the other songs on the record. I don't enjoy the song and feel it should've been left out. It's the vocals that don't work for me. I don't mind the instrumental version.

The song Less Than reminds me of Everything. These two sound very similar to me. The worst part of both songs is the way they start. They have a higher pitch happier kinda cheesy sound. They later become more heavy and cool. Life would be better without Everything. I don't mind Less Than but I don't love it.

Blacksonar
10-21-2017, 05:41 AM
For this reason Everything feels out of place and doesn't fit with the other songs on the record. I don't enjoy the song and feel it should've been left out. It's the vocals that don't work for me. I don't mind the instrumental version.

where are you finding the instrumental versions? I'd like to compare the two w/ & w/o vocals.

Jon
10-21-2017, 01:47 PM
where are you finding the instrumental versions? I'd like to compare the two w/ & w/o vocals.
@totom (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2445) @ninjaw (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=746) and I all had them up in the Download Archive. I switch around what is available often, so I am no longer hosting it.

Mr. Jaw, I tried all 13 hosts for your file with a "File Not Found" error for each one.