PDA

View Full Version : The Asian Cinema Thread

SchwarzerAbt
01-15-2017, 06:08 AM
Are there any other fans of the Eastern cinema around here? For quite some time I was a huge fan of directors like Takashi Miike, Takeshi Kitano, Sabu and Park Chan-wook and also made sure to check out other movies coming from East Asia as well.

I think these movies are often visually aesthetic and thematically daring and provide a great alternative to the 'usual' Hollywood productions.

Unfortunately for the last few years I had little time for watching movies and my wife can't take too much violence on screen, which makes watching Asian movies together difficult. Yesterday though I went to the cinema and saw The Handmaiden and I have to say that is a strong return to form for Park Chan-wook after I was a little let down by Thirst and not to anxious to watch Stoker based on the mixed reviews that film got. Now I want to try to check out more Asian stuff again and see what I have been missing out on over the last few years. Any recommendations?

Here are some of my old favorites. Highly recommended if you don't know them already:

- Love Exposure
- Audition
- Oldboy
- Last Life in the Universe
- Memories of Murder
- I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK
- Cure
- Hana-Bi
- The Bird People in China
- Hero

I enjoy most of Takasi Miike's movies. Even though some of them are quite bad there are almost always fresh ideas and unexpected director choices in them. If you are into absurd stiff, check out Ichi the Killer, The Happiness of the Katakuris, Visitor Q, The Great Yokai War, Big Bang Love - Junenile A, Dead or Alive, Izo and Gozu!

I also watch Anime, but I guess that is a topic for a different thread.