PDA

View Full Version : How old are you currently 2.0

elevenism
10-23-2017, 11:35 AM
I know we've done this before on the new ETS, but it's been a few years.
I thought it would be fun to do it again, especially with all the new members. And I feel like we could use a light hearted topic with all the God awful shit going on in the world.

Oh, and an optional secondary question: at what age did you get in to NIN?

As for me, I am 37 going on dead. And I've been obsessed with NIN since broken came out when I was 12. That's a fucking quarter of a century and I don't know where all the time went.

Disassociative
10-23-2017, 11:47 AM
22 as of last week, found NIN in 2010 and gradually worked my way into the discography over the next year or so.

I will say though as I got older I started appreciating more and more about NIN, especially in the last few years.

HWB
10-23-2017, 11:53 AM
No new tale to tell, twenty years on my way to hell.

Oh, and an optional secondary question: at what age did you get in to NIN?

Damn, it must be a year or something, I think it was around David Bowie's death, I didn't lsiten to much music back then, I was too focused on my other problems to even properly discover music.

I got into David Bowie before he died, into singles and stuff, but I wanted to explore further, but I sadly never got the option, but I loved his music from what I've heard.
Then Blackstar was released, I said to myself, screw it, this is the best chance to listen to entire Bowie album, I was impressed.
And then Bowie passed away few days later, I was honestly shocked, Lazarus video then came out, I was very saddened yet also very impressed with what Bowie has done.

I started researching more into Bowie, and I found him and Trent covering "Hurt", I thought to myself that this Trent guy must be pretty fucking awesome that Bowie would cover his song. So I went deeper into NIN discography.

My first album was The Downward Spiral, it was super hard to get into it, its lyrical content was really something different, it felt raw and different, dirty. It was also my first concept album, I was utterly amazed by the sounds I was hearing and Trent's roaring raw voice was just amazing. I knew that by the point I got to Eraser and Reptile I was in love. They were the things that really drawned me in, they were experimental, weird and different and so fucking raw. I felt connected to the music I never have before by the time the "KILL ME" chant in Eraser turned into static. And I remember being fascinated by "Came Back Haunted" video, due to how expressive, experimental and fucked up it was.

Next album was The Slip, as that one was for free, once again I was met with the same feelings, weird sounds all over the place, loved it, and then suddenly instrumentals, damn, this is weird, and experimental, I like it.

Next albums were With_Teeth, The Fragile and Year Zero, the rest was history.

I think it must have been a year by now, maybe two? It's hard to say. It feels like yesterday.

I definetelly heard NIN years and years before, I remember hearing "Every Day Is The Same" and other hits from With_Teeth, and I remember loving them before as well, but I somehow never dwelved further.

halo eighteen
10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
36... NIN has been in my life for about 23 of those. Jesus, that's depressing actually seeing it typed out like that haha

Patrick_Nicholas
10-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Currently 27.

Discovered NIN circa age 10, technically during The Fragile era, but it still took another seven years or so for me to listen to that album, so I guess that means that I've been following NIN since With Teeth era. I guess that makes me feel a bit out of place here after seeing a couple of posts in the Marilyn Manson thread that indicate that most people here have been following NIN since TDS era or before.

theimage13
10-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Old enough to not have to answer that question, whippersnapper.

Swykk
10-23-2017, 12:38 PM

I discovered Nine Inch Nails in 1994 and it became my favorite band instantly. Someone much more talented than me knew what I was feeling and going through and wrote amazing songs about it, which continues to this day.

23 years; much more than half of my life.

GulDukat
10-23-2017, 12:40 PM
38 and it kind of sucks, but it's better than 48. Didn't really become a mega NIN fan until I was 21, but owned TDS back in the day.

theruiner
10-23-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm 34. Got into NIN when I was 14, right between TDS and TF. Wow. 20 years. Crazy.

playwithfire
10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
28. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd like to think of myself as ageless, though.

botley
10-23-2017, 12:50 PM
I turned thirty-one last week and I feel every minute of it. Learned about NIN around the time I was... uh, 11? Or 12 maybe? So... coming close to twenty years of fandom.

Amaro
10-23-2017, 12:58 PM
I’m 30, bub.

I first actively listened to some NIN via LimeWire in 2002. Soon after proper exposure I purchased The Fragile at the then-Sam Goody in the Eden Prairie, MN mall. I’ve attended more NIN shows than my age number because I grew to be obsessed with everything NIN. Now it’s all chill. I listen to dad rock. And somehow I still have ETS bookmarked on all my devices (joined in 2003 or 2004). A friend straight up lol’d the fuck out when she discovered that recently. I smiled.

r_z
10-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Got into NIN around 2008, when I was 24, hearing a snippet of Ghosts played in a short documentary on TV about artists using Creative Commons. Downloaded Ghosts I, it sounded like music to travel to Mars to. I loved it.

elevenism
10-23-2017, 01:27 PM
36... NIN has been in my life for about 23 of those. Jesus, that's depressing actually seeing it typed out like that haha
yeah haha.
i feel you on that.

Camille
10-23-2017, 01:45 PM
I'm 46.
I remember seeing NIN videos on the 120mins show on MTV when PHM was released. I bought that album, but it wasn't till I attended a Downward Spiral show in Glasgow in '94 that I really got properly interested. They lost me a bit during the Year Zero era but I was back on board for Ghosts onwards.

Thomas W Jefford
10-23-2017, 02:47 PM
I'm 26, and became a fan around the 2003 mark, got broadband, got corrupted. im cool with it.

kel
10-23-2017, 06:30 PM
i'll be 37 in a couple weeks. i don't know if i'm a millennial or gen x. something that bothers me, but really shouldn't.

got into nin in '94. i was listening to nothing but janet jackson and paula abdul (still love them both) before a friend in 8th grade traded me tds for the vitology cd i got for christmas. it really freaked me out. like, literally scared me to listen to. i *loved* it.

never really gave a shit about pearl jam.

the duder
10-23-2017, 07:23 PM
34 today, 35 tomorrow. Was fascinated by NIN at around age 12 when I saw the video for Closer. Not scared, just intrigued and weirdly attracted to it. Parents bought me the PHM cd as a gift (13th birthday, maybe?) but I didn't fully dig the vibe. Fell hard for NIN when the Fragile dropped, and never bought a copy of TDS until around 2004. Been a big fan since.

DF118
10-23-2017, 07:28 PM
14/f/cali

Dryalex12
10-23-2017, 07:29 PM
I turned 21 on the 15th of this month, but if you heard my voice/saw me, you wouldn't imagine it was the same person

thevoid99
10-23-2017, 07:46 PM
I'll be 37 in December.

elevenism
10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
i'll be 37 in a couple weeks. i don't know if i'm a millennial or gen x. something that bothers me, but really shouldn't.

got into nin in '94. i was listening to nothing but janet jackson and paula abdul (still love them both) before a friend in 8th grade traded me tds for the vitology cd i got for christmas. it really freaked me out. like, literally scared me to listen to. i *loved* it.

never really gave a shit about pearl jam.man I know exactly what you mean about not knowing whether we're gen x or millennials and I've actually wasted a lot of time looking into it. It turns out that they've called us Generation Catalano, The Lucky Ones (I think because we grew up both with and without the internet,) Xennials, and The Oregon Trail Generation. Check this (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation) out.

Also, I absolutely know what you mean about both being scared by and loving that era of nin. For me it started with the Wish video: it utterly terrified me but I couldn't look away, and then I got broken and couldn't stop listening to it (and of course, the same goes for fixed and the MOTP single and TDS.)

jessamineny
10-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Still younger than teitan

GibbonBlack
10-23-2017, 09:21 PM
I'm 32....and looking preeeeetty darned good too :rolleyes:

I got into Nine Inch Nails around 2000-ish, maybe a tad earlier. Fragile had been out a little while I think

ton
10-23-2017, 10:37 PM

I don't want to see another few years or so, is how I feel most of the time.

Shadaloo
10-23-2017, 10:46 PM
35. But I'm still young at heart. Observe:

FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME ow my brittle old man hip

piggy
10-23-2017, 11:06 PM
I'll be 37 in a few days.

Got into NIN around 1996 (my brother had PHM and TDS, and some of my high school friends were into NIN on varying levels.)

Dryalex12
10-24-2017, 01:31 AM
I turned 21 on the 15th of this month, but if you heard my voice/saw me, you wouldn't imagine it was the same person

To give an idea how i look., i look like a combo of billy corgan, Trent if he had brown hair circa broken ep.....but with a voice as deep as someone like Peter Steele or Jonny Cash

icklekitty
10-24-2017, 03:32 AM
31 and 13

MrLobster
10-24-2017, 03:34 AM
39, will be 40 by the end of the year...

got into NIN at 16 when TDS came out and a friend told me I had listen to what was in her headphones...

theimage13
10-24-2017, 05:42 AM
14/f/cali

The post itself is good enough for a chuckle, but right underneath the picture of Father Jack? Goddamnit, laughing like this hurts. Thanks, lungs.

baudolino
10-24-2017, 06:29 AM
forty fucking one, NIN disciple since 1992

marodi
10-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Still younger than @teitan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=109)

So am I but barely. I'm changing decade in a couple of weeks. My body feels it but not my mind. Screw you, number!

poinoup
10-24-2017, 12:53 PM
35 and started listening in '95, so 22 years/.

Pillfred
10-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Wanna say it was around '93 i suppose, guessing was the head like a hole video but really it was broken that grabbed me by the booboo.

Louie_Cypher
10-24-2017, 02:42 PM
nIN '80's

iamclassic
10-24-2017, 03:20 PM
29. Familiar with NIN since probably about '99/'01 , but never listened to them really. I just knew they were the weird band with only one guy who sang Closer. In 2002-2004, I was really into Thursday and AP magazine did some special on having bands interview their heroes and Geoff Rickly interview Trent. I think I started listening around then, so 2004ish (15/16). I liked With Teeth when it was released. I also knew most of the popular songs. It was something my high school/college boyfriend shared and I stopped listening when we broke up in late 2006. I do remember following some of the Year Zero story and I downloaded the Slip when it was released on the website. But for a long time I just didn't listen to a variety of music in general. I was very happy that The Social Network and Trent Reznor won the award for that score because I loved it.

I recently saw NIN at Riotfest and I've listened to pretty much nothing else. I am now the proud owner of several NIN vinyl and flew to Vegas last weekend to see them. Needless to say, I am really bummed for not keeping up consistently with the band and not giving more time an effort. I would have loved to have seen them in in 2013 or earlier. I'm fairly certain NIN is my current favorite band and it feels awesome to hear some new music that I really really enjoy (AV and NTAE)

Halo Infinity
10-26-2017, 06:11 AM
As of right now, I'm 32.

I became a fan of Nine Inch Nails when I was 16 in 2002, but I was also about to turn 17 in late 2002. The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and Broken were my first proper listens in that order on that year as well.

Xen
10-26-2017, 10:38 AM
30 years young, turning 31 in November.

Listened to my first NIN song in 1999, it was We're In This Together, then I heard Into the Void and became hooked. Downloaded a bunch of songs on Napster (remember that?) soon afterwards but I didn't buy my first NIN album until 2001. From 2001 - 2003 I picked up virtually all of their LPs, remixes, and EPs that were released up to that point.

muse-lyre candy
10-26-2017, 11:35 AM
sigh,
into the fourth decade of life
-how time flies-

my first audio introduction to NIN came from a friend who spent his summer's in France. he was always bringing home new music and sharing it with me.
he came back from one of his breaks and said 'i have something for you to hear,' as he was fumbling with the cassette tape he told me this amazing story of how this was a one man band, and how it was this one man who played all of the instruments on the tape and how this amazing musician couldn't get a label in his homeland in the United States because he was a one man band.
i remember the music having a life of its own as it played, and i had a new love for this new sound..

ManBurning
10-26-2017, 12:30 PM
I am 34.

I always knew about NIN since around late 97 mid 98 ish, but I never really became a fan probably until a few months before The Fragile was about to drop. I wasn't a "mega fan" at that point either, just a "fan" the Mega fan in me went to Marilyn Manson at the time. Was a huge fan of Manson around 1998-2002. It was around the time of And All that could have been when I really started to become obsessed w/ Trent and friends. I first came to ETS around that era as a lurker. It wasn't until around 2004-2005 til I registered for an account though. By the release of [With_Teeth] I was so far pulled in obsessed beyond repair.

I'm a tad sad that my "obsession period" started during [With_Teeth]. Not that it was a bad phase of the band to be obsessed with, I just got screwed out of one of the best tours of existence if only I jumped on a tad earlier. I mean, I was a fan for the release of the Fragile, I even remember skipping school to go get it and bringing it home and listening to it all day. But what I mean is, I really should have traveled for that Fragility tour. In 2000 I had 2 friends who were bigger NIN fans than I was travel to the Fragility 2.0 show in Toronto. What I would give to turn back time and be at that show... Instead, I waited and traveled for Manson's Holy Wood tour a few months after.

Bah... I want to see a fragility show sooooo bad! Easily my biggest regret in life. The one thing I would go back and change.

Space Suicide
10-26-2017, 12:31 PM
I’m 27 years old and I got into NIN when I was 16 in the winter of 2006. The first physical cd I bought by the band was the Every Day Is Exactly The Same EP.

october_midnight
10-26-2017, 12:40 PM
36. First NIN show in 1995. Saw every show that's rolled through here since. My back hurts.

richardp
10-26-2017, 04:48 PM
28, started listening to NIN in 1998 shortly before The Fragile came out. I remember my mom actually taking me to Best Buy the day it came out to buy it. My mom is/was cool.

eversonpoe
10-26-2017, 04:57 PM
i'm 30

got into NIN through the lost highway soundtrack, but my first actual NIN release was the fragile in 1999. saw them on fragility 2.0 with my cousin (who is 13 years my senior) the following spring.

ManBurning
10-26-2017, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised at how young a lot of you are. I always thought everyone here was older than I was. I feel really old all of a sudden.

Also super jealous of everyone younger than me who got to see Fragility 2.0!

Calla lily
10-26-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm 43. Got into NIN when PHM was released, so I was 15. Fell away for a few years in the middle when life got in the way, but got back into NIN several years ago and made up for lost time.

Pbgut
10-26-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm 33. I actually found out about NIN because they were stacked above the Nirvana cassettes at Sam Goody's, and I was attracted to the TDS artwork and the mystery behind how abstract it was and the lack of a tracklist. I must have heard Closer a little bit later on Z100. I had to dub a cassette of it from a classmate because my parents didn't want me to listen to them (I was 10 and the lyrics are pretty extreme, so they were probably right about that.) I was probably obsessed for a good six year stretch of my childhood/adolescence (which is a long time when you're young) and kind of moved on for awhile around the time of With Teeth.

xfocalinx
10-30-2017, 12:17 AM
No new tale to tell, 26 years on my way to hell.

I got into NIN at the age of 17. I was always a casual fan; enjoyed the hits on the radio..but "capital G" was really catchy, bought year zero just to check it out..The Great Destroyer blew my mind..then found out about the ARG.. I was hooked.

Nyx
10-30-2017, 04:42 AM
34, soon to be 35. Got into NIN about 18 years ago.
People are right, the numbers look worse when you type them out.

Substance242
10-30-2017, 05:12 AM
In four years, I'll be 30. Now I am 2C.

PS: Fuck decimal system. ;-)

Halo Infinity
02-23-2019, 06:13 PM
As of right now I'm 33.

I also became a fan of Nine Inch Nails when I became 16, but I was also about to turn 17 a few months afterwards.

I was also thinking about this topic and aside from the majority of users being born in the 1970s and 1980s, it also seems to be a safe bet to assume that even the majority of the "youngest of the oldest" NIN fans/users were at least in their late teens or well into their 20s in 2000. As for me, as I've mentioned on numerous threads by now, I was a child in the 1990s and a teenager in the 2000s. (Well, at least the first half of it, but I was still 19 in most of 2005 since I was born very late in the year.)

While there's lots of Generation Y users here, Generation X still definitely rules the roost on ETS.

It's still cool to occasionally see users that are actually younger than The Fragile this time around though.

I also might not have been around that long, but I've been around long enough to know if somebody grew up in my generation or near it based on their pop culture, entertainment and technological/Internet references.

@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - I surprisingly forgot to mention you and I was finally able to put this thought in words regarding NIN fans and age demographics.

ickyvicky
02-25-2019, 09:24 AM

ryanmcfly
02-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Currently 26. Got into NIN when I got the BYIT dvd when i was 14.

elevenism
03-03-2019, 02:17 AM
I'm still confused as to what generation we belong to, those of us who were born in 1980 and 81 and such.

Also, how in the fuck am I 39 now? :/

Halo Infinity
03-03-2019, 03:10 AM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - From what I've noticed whenever I looked it up, those years definitely count as a part of Generation X, but at the tail end of it. The earliest years of Generation Y are much closer to 1985 than 1979. So one way to look at it would be that if you were born in the 1980s, but near 1979, you're technically more, or just on the Generation X side, also known as Xennials. It makes sense anyway, since looking at the videos of NIN gigs as early as 1989-1991 (As I'm just counting as far back to just the actual PHM era.), those people are clearly not 1980s babies. Generation Y seems to be more of a mid 1980s to mid 1990s thing, even though it also covers some of the early 1980s.

It's kind of funny, because when I looked it up, there was somebody on a another forum calling NIN more of a Generation Y band, and one of the responses that stood out to me was something similar to the effect of "Yeah, because so many 5 year olds bought PHM and so many 10 year olds bought TDS when they came out." :p

That kind of cleared it up for me. Being born late in the year as I mentioned, I was still 8 when TDS came out. Just being reminded how I was only in the single digits when TDS came out reminded me how far off I was to the majority of the fan-base, where I'd more than likely be the same age of most fans of bands that came out in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

As for why this has interested me for quite some time, it's due to the fact that I was always interested in seeing how fans grow with their favorite musicians, especially when they're still active and actually releasing albums and touring. Or well, just being interested in fans growing with their interests altogether.

Pillfred
03-05-2019, 02:39 AM
I'm still confused as to what generation we belong to, those of us who were born in 1980 and 81 and such.

Also, how in the fuck am I 39 now? :/It's a bridge gap sort of thing, '78 here. I bought a book years back at school on sale dealing with the generation gap in teh professional world and how they can work together. I didn't get much past that but it makes sense. My siblings are 10-13 years older solid Gen X but I am somewhere in between.

Erneuert
03-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Dirty Thirty.

allegro
03-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Also, how in the fuck am I 39 now? :/

I'm in Generation Jones (1954 - 1965). I don't remember being 39, LOL LOL LOL.

(sigh)

elevenism
03-05-2019, 04:42 PM
I'm in Generation Jones (1954 - 1965). I don't remember being 39, LOL LOL LOL.

(sigh)
Thing is, though, different research collectives define generations by different years.
Halo Infinity , discrepancy between gen x and millennial seems to be especially contentious, with, six, I think, different respected groups, coming up with six different years/spans of time.
iN FACT, saw a video suggesting that generations don't truly ExIST, citing, for one thing, the fact that generations with names/years started relatively recently.
Although dude mispronounces a couple words, he makes some fascinating points, and whoever wrote the thing, I THINK, is fairly intelligent.

Peep this, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Cj5PJPsEI

the duder
03-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Currently 36. I was 12 in 1994 when the Closer video dropped, and I was immediately equal parts fascinated, scared, and a little aroused. I told my parents I wanted a NIN cd for easter. My mom bought me PHM. I was pretty bummed that I didn't get TDS, but I ended up getting a lot of spins out of PHM. Later that summer, I remember telling my buddy Dan that I liked NIN when at his house between rollerblading sessions. He put on Broken and I was floored. Fast forward to high school and I was jamming Prodigy, ATR, Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin. Some of my older buddies on the swim team pushed me more into more industrial-esque stuff (Stabbing Westward, Powerman 5000, Static X) and then a teammate told me that NIN was dropping The Fragile. When that album came out I was hooked again. Really bummed I didn't try to go see the Fragility tour. By my senior year of college (2005), I began to search out past tours, setlists, and more - typically via NIN Hotline. That linked me to this community, and I lurked from '05 till about '06 or '07 until I registered.

thelastdisciple
03-07-2019, 03:03 AM
I guess I've not posted here? I'm 30.

Listening to NIN since not long before With Teeth, about a year or two I'd say? So somewhere from 2002-2003. I think I remember hearing Closer on the radio before in probably the late 90s but I never knew or cared who it was. My taste in music was super shitty in elementary school.

So I was def in Junior High, i used to burn mix CDs with random tracks I thought were cool that I had got from WinMX. (anyone else, just me?) After I got more into Trent's music I spent many cold and dreary mornings listening to NIN at my bus stop with my discman, ignoring everyone and partially hoping the school bus would drive off a bridge or something just so I wouldn't have to go, this way I could just stay at home and listen to NIN all day from WinAmp on the computer.

Thank goodness for NIN because life would completely suck without it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

elevenism
03-07-2019, 05:33 AM
Ha. @thelastdisciple (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=199) , I spent MY junior high mornings in 92 and 93 listening to Broken and Fixed and PHM on my walkman, at the bus stop and on the school bus.