PDA

View Full Version : The Social Network (2010)

Pages : 1 [2]

paul_guyet
10-04-2020, 10:32 AM
TSN hasn't been remastered. The vinyl is just a reissue of the existing master.You know, I'm kind of okay with that. The 5.1 Blu-Ray is phenomenal and even just listening to the original stereo mix is great. This is actually something I was thinking about recently...

Not to go too far off topic, but regarding all the definitive editions that have come out and are slated to come out...I noticed a HUGE difference on Broken, a big difference on TDS, a few differences on The Fragile, and not so many on With Teeth. I'm wondering if YZ and the Slip are going to have many discernable differences at all or just things one would notice if you drop the files into a program to compare waveforms.

eversonpoe
10-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Not an expert but instead of tuning your speaker locations to be exactly right for 5.1 (or 7.1etc) the receiver can tune the balance to your precise real-world speaker locations. Many 5.1 receivers did something kind of like that but the artists presentation of the music was based on the perfect speaker location, and that tuning is like using an equaliser, potentially changes the presentation in ways the artist didn’t intend. The raw data in atmos is a set of sound objects, which are described in terms of their position in a 3D space and the receiver does the mix-down.

yeah, any good surround receiver will have adjustments for distance from the listener, and it applies both EQ and slight delay to make sure the sound reaches you at precisely the right time. i haven't looked much into how exactly atmos works but the majority of folks aren't going to have the space for it to be set up properly.

botley
10-04-2020, 07:40 PM
The stereo mix was just added to Tidal (along with TGWTDT) for the first time. I feel like this Atmos mix won't be too far behind...

For those who don't know, Atmos comes in two flavours, lossy and lossless. The streaming/lossy version is packaged as a Dolby Digital Plus extension, sometimes you're going to see it on video streaming services, or on Tidal. The lossless is an extension to Dolby TrueHD (which is compatible with all Blu-ray players)... I think that might be what Amazon HD uses? Not sure. Anyway, I'd buy a reissue of the Blu-ray with a lossless Atmos track (and the original 5.1 and stereo in hi-res for good measure).

mr9inchnail
10-05-2020, 09:22 AM
For those in Canada waiting for a Canadian link

Amazon.CA

https://www.amazon.ca/Social-Network-Original-Soundtrack-Definitive/dp/B08K5F6FKQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1R2R5RH5Q40C233CREMY

"Currently Unavailable" though

mr9inchnail
10-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Well look what just showed up today

https://imgur.com/5atviwJ (https://imgur.com/5atviwJ)https://imgur.com/5atviwJ
https://imgur.com/5atviwJ

blassster
10-06-2020, 06:14 PM
TSN has the worst essay out of all of them.

botley
10-08-2020, 08:48 AM
TSN hasn't been remastered. The vinyl is just a reissue of the existing master.

Tiny quibble here over terminology, but while I don't believe the digital Tom Baker-mastered 24bit source files are any different from those used on the original issue, the Definitive vinyl itself HAS been remastered — pressed from new master parts at the Pallas USA manufacturing plant in Germany, per the deadwax stamp information — cut at Bernie Grundman Mastering by one of the staff mastering engineers there, Scott Sedillo (his initials are etched in the new deadwax, too). The original was pressed from parts cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering. Those are two top-notch engineers, with slightly different approaches, but the clearest audible difference from the original is likely to be from better QC standards at Pallas USA that the new edition boasts (and, of course, the restored glitchy cover artwork as well).

psus2h
10-08-2020, 02:41 PM
So, the big question is, how does the OG vinyl compare to the reissue on vinyl? Is once superior, are they complimentary? Thoughts?

Lerxto
10-08-2020, 07:31 PM
So, the big question is, how does the OG vinyl compare to the reissue on vinyl? Is once superior, are they complimentary? Thoughts?
I hope you're joking, because the quality of the OG vinyl was problematic from the very beginning and we've been complaining ever since.
2020 DE is vastly superior compared to the 2010 pressing.

sonic_discord
10-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Aaron Sorkin wants to make a sequel to The Social Network and wants David Fincher to return to direct it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/sorkin-social-network-sequel-fincher-directs-mank-review-1234591178/?fbclid=IwAR3TCztNEkeOusA8PF8-H1yhunludjDoODzHErYrJiTjjaUdfR8xLw3xrqU

psus2h
10-11-2020, 01:17 PM
I hope you're joking, because the quality of the OG vinyl was problematic from the very beginning and we've been complaining ever since.
2020 DE is vastly superior compared to the 2010 pressing.

Not joking at all, my OG plays fine. I'll have to pick up the reissue and maybe dump the OG.

neorev
10-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Aaron Sorkin wants to make a sequel to The Social Network and wants David Fincher to return to direct it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/sorkin-social-network-sequel-fincher-directs-mank-review-1234591178/?fbclid=IwAR3TCztNEkeOusA8PF8-H1yhunludjDoODzHErYrJiTjjaUdfR8xLw3xrqU

I'd be down for it. When I first heard about Fincher and a Facebook movie, I was like WTF, that is an absurd idea. Meanwhile, it turned out great. I hear a sequel to Social Network and go WTF all again. Maybe it can also be great. Go for it. Get whoever needs to return and make sure T&A does the score.

BRoswell
10-11-2020, 03:25 PM
I've been joking with a friend about a sequel to The Social Network for a few years now (it's one of her favorite films), but it's not a bad idea. I think it would have to have be different from the original though. It would have to have a different energy and flow, and would probably have to be a little more sinister, especially in light of what we know about Facebook now.

neorev
10-11-2020, 08:56 PM
I've been joking with a friend about a sequel to The Social Network for a few years now (it's one of her favorite films), but it's not a bad idea. I think it would have to have be different from the original though. It would have to have a different energy and flow, and would probably have to be a little more sinister, especially in light of what we know about Facebook now.

Yea, def. The best sequels are the ones that don't try to redo the first movie, but make it its own thing. The Mark Zuckerberg of yesteryear ain't the Zuckerberg of today.

Deacon Blackfire
10-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Well, they certainly have the material for a sequel, that's for goddamned sure. I'm sure that Trent and Atticus, like Sorkin, would need Fincher to be directing again in order to participate in it, so it's really up to him as far as I can tell.

Spun the repress of The Social Network on my turntable a week or so ago - sounds (and looks) absolutely superb.

imail724
10-12-2020, 08:27 AM
Anyone still waiting for a better price to pull the trigger on these, both are included in Target's Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale. Got both + a $35 Dinosaur Jr album for about $80 shipped.

psus2h
10-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Well, they certainly have the material for a sequel, that's for goddamned sure. I'm sure that Trent and Atticus, like Sorkin, would need Fincher to be directing again in order to participate in it, so it's really up to him as far as I can tell.

Spun the repress of The Social Network on my turntable a week or so ago - sounds (and looks) absolutely superb.

Glad to hear the LP sounds great.

If they do a Part Two, I agree, bring the team back, but I think that also includes Jesse. He was incredible as Zuck.

butter_hole
10-12-2020, 05:16 PM

it would have to be a completely different story. no returning characters apart from zuckerberg. and what would the crux be? I guess those senate hearings a while back.

variablebitrate
10-12-2020, 06:20 PM
Curious if anyone else who knows their stuff better can help, but the Atmos mix of TSN is essentially locked to Amazon HD through the Echo Studio, right? I can’t think of any other device that’s supported. It sucks because there’s a couple of things I love to take for a spin, but I’ve got just an old, outdated 5.1 system. I’m missing the days of physical, lossless multichannel releases, which while still exist, feel like they’re falling out of favor with the bands I’m REALLY into. I just started a TIDAL trial and can’t do jack with any of their Atmos or 360 Audio stuff except hear it sound awful mixed down to stereo.

(Should say I recognize the BR release of TSN with the 5.1 back when, but I’m worried about the Fragile finally coming out and being inaccessible)

botley
10-12-2020, 07:11 PM
Curious if anyone else who knows their stuff better can help, but the Atmos mix of TSN is essentially locked to Amazon HD through the Echo Studio, right? I can’t think of any other device that’s supported.
They don't support anything else within their ecosystem, but if someone were, hypothetically, for informational purposes, to jailbreak the stream and extract the untouched Dolby audio with the Atmos metadata intact...

(For the record I don't actually know how to do this, but maybe SOMEONE here can? *cough cough* TheBang ??)

sonic_discord
10-12-2020, 07:39 PM
it would have to be a completely different story. no returning characters apart from zuckerberg. and what would the crux be? I guess those senate hearings a while back.

I haven't paid very close attention to Zuckerberg and his life, so I can't answer that question. I also concede that it's more than likely the most interesting part of his story was told in the first movie, so a sequel probably wouldn't live up to the original. Still, if anyone could make a sequel that meets the quality of the original, it would be Sorkin, Fincher, Trent & Atticus.

Sequenteon
10-13-2020, 12:44 AM
I haven't paid very close attention to Zuckerberg and his life, so I can't answer that question. I also concede that it's more than likely the most interesting part of his story was told in the first movie, so a sequel probably wouldn't live up to the original. Still, if anyone could make a sequel that meets the quality of the original, it would be Sorkin, Fincher, Trent & Atticus.

Zuckerberg has increasingly become more and more robotic over the years. I think with such a dull, lifeless character as modern day Zuck, any sort of enjoyable movie would be quite hard to achieve.

zecho
10-13-2020, 11:05 AM
Zuckerberg has increasingly become more and more robotic over the years. I think with such a dull, lifeless character as modern day Zuck, any sort of enjoyable movie would be quite hard to achieve.

There was a time where he was seen as the normal guy in tech. Every time I see him now I wonder what the hell happened.

allegate
10-13-2020, 11:13 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3Z1basZxa2mGOSPBzR/200_d.gif

https://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/breaking-bad-Bill-Burr-lying-money-Kuby-1377555293e.gif

aleywwu
10-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Listened to the vinyl last night and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Amazing imaging and really clean sound. Haven't heard the OG version, so can't help with comparisons, but this sounds great.
The essay, on the other hand....

Erneuert
10-13-2020, 09:50 PM
There was a time where he was seen as the normal guy in tech. Every time I see him now I wonder what the hell happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiudBq7z8wk

mr9inchnail
10-14-2020, 04:04 PM
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/158031/Trent_Reznor__Atticus_Ross-The_Social_Network-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Available now. $47 CAD.

jmtd
10-15-2020, 02:09 PM
The first movie works because zuckerberg is just barely relatable as a human. That’s no longer the case so I can’t see how they could make a sequel.

eversonpoe
10-15-2020, 11:55 PM
The first movie works because zuckerberg is just barely relatable as a human. That’s no longer the case so I can’t see how they could make a sequel.

it'll do well in the lizard-people markets

NIN –Downward Spiral Book
04-23-2021, 07:45 AM
Hello all!

Just wrote a longread on the genesis of The Social Network soundtrack over on my blog

With The Social Network Soundtrack Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross broke free of the growing pains of Nine Inch Nails stigma – revealing an award-winning artistic duo capable of dramatic nuance, emotional depth and sonic power.

https://adamsteiner.uk/2021/04/23/stop-shouting-start-listening-trent-reznor-and-the-genesis-of-the-social-network-soundtrack/ (https://adamsteiner.uk/2021/04/23/stop-shouting-start-listening-trent-reznor-and-the-genesis-of-the-social-network-soundtrack/)

Jon
06-15-2021, 07:44 PM
The Social Network is coming to 4K as a part of (the) Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 2 (4K). Atmos on the "Unrated" version:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28733

Took a screenshot instead of dealing with formatting copy/paste:

https://i.imgur.com/uOZd9n3.png
https://images.blu-ray.com/news/upload/13205_tn.jpg

botley
06-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Only 11 years old, and already considered a 'classic' alongside some pretty amazing films... that's not bad innings.

I wonder what exactly is included in the 'unrated' mixes that differs from the Theatrical ones? Is it just a loop of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGRL1UuBX0), over and over, swirling around in the rear and overhead channels?

BRoswell
06-15-2021, 08:33 PM
I wonder what exactly is included in the 'unrated' mixes that differs from the Theatrical ones?

They dubbed over a couple 'fucks' in the theatrical version in order to keep it PG-13. They also changed the note that gets passed to Mark in class so that it said "u dick" instead of "cocksucker".

Wulgaren
06-22-2021, 03:16 PM
i hope we’ll get the dolby atmos version on apple music soon

Mank
06-29-2021, 02:59 AM
A source tells me that Sony is planning a steelbook release for The Social Network 4K standalone a few months after the box set is released. Not sure if it's a boutique or something common. The special features I think are going to stay HD.

TheBang
06-29-2021, 07:16 AM
There may be a standalone release eventually, but I think it's likely to be more than a few months after the box set. We're more than a year after the release of Vol. 1, and only 1 of those titles has been announced as a standalone release.

Mank
07-03-2021, 06:51 PM
There may be a standalone release eventually, but I think it's likely to be more than a few months after the box set. We're more than a year after the release of Vol. 1, and only 1 of those titles has been announced as a standalone release.

Just repeating what I was told by someone with ties to DF and Sony.

blassster
07-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Just repeating what I was told by someone with ties to DF and Sony.

Though Sony seems to hate Dragon... please let me be annoying and ask you to ask them if it will eventually get the same treatment :) :) :)

Mank
07-10-2021, 10:11 PM
Though Sony seems to hate Dragon... please let me be annoying and ask you to ask them if it will eventually get the same treatment :) :) :)

There is a 4K release ready for it. If anything it will probably be digital 4K long before a physical release.

There are also preparations for a Dragon Tattoo Definitive Edition early next year/possibly later this year.

ekrekel
07-12-2021, 09:42 AM
There is a 4K release ready for it. If anything it will probably be digital 4K long before a physical release.

There are also preparations for a Dragon Tattoo Definitive Edition early next year/possibly later this year.

Definitive? Like NIN/Vinyl DE?

antediluvian
07-13-2021, 01:19 AM

Yaaassss! By far my favourite TR/AR score!

Do you have the link of an article or something talking about this definitive edition?

mauro995
08-31-2021, 04:25 AM
The Social Network's Dolby Atmos mix is also available now on Apple Music.

allegate
08-31-2021, 10:29 AM
OK, A) that's brilliant.

B) the fuck do I need to do to get it downloaded. It says I need to sync my library instead of give me a download option but when I do that it actually removes my access to iTunes on my computer. So I can only stream this? Every page I've read says I can download Apple Music files and yet.

blassster
08-31-2021, 05:51 PM
OK, A) that's brilliant.

B) the fuck do I need to do to get it downloaded. It says I need to sync my library instead of give me a download option but when I do that it actually removes my access to iTunes on my computer. So I can only stream this? Every page I've read says I can download Apple Music files and yet.

Might need to download it while watching the network activity with wireshark to expose the urls, but I don't know enough about that to do it. I think this is what people did with Beats and the HM remix album. A streaming service's Download option -usually- stores it in an inaccessible/encrypted format, if I'm not mistaken, so they're more "downloaded" for offline access through the service.

allegate
09-01-2021, 10:44 AM
no, it's an Apple Music thing. If you want to download from the store you have to, as far as I can tell, tell your device that iTunes is no longer the way to get music onto it. I assume for security's sake so people don't download these Atmos mixes and then pull them from the device when connected to a computer? I mean it even says "if you turn this setting off every Music download will be deleted" so it makes the most sense.

I finally just said fuck it and turned the setting on on my ipad. Can't wait to listen to it in a little bit when I start this boring admin paperwork for hiring.

edit: boring paperwork has begun and wow this sounds great. the ipad is showing artwork for a totally different artist but it's playing the Atmos mix and it sounds great. Not as much separation as I expected from previous Atmos albums but the space the music has is much larger.

Carbon Prevails is the first song where it's really noticeable.

Head tracking is supposed to be coming this fall, probably in the new iOS update? that'll be weird.

laci
09-22-2022, 09:01 AM
Will there be an Atmos score release on Blu-ray?

botley
09-22-2022, 09:26 AM
Will there be an Atmos score release on Blu-ray?

At this point, it's looking unlikely. The big music industry players are leaning heavily into streaming exclusives; even The Beatles' new Atmos mix of Revolver is only going to be available as a stream. :(

allegate
09-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Physical media is dying.

sonic_discord
09-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Physical media is dying.

Except for vinyl!

laci
09-25-2022, 03:02 AM
At this point, it's looking unlikely. The big music industry players are leaning heavily into streaming exclusives; even The Beatles' new Atmos mix of Revolver is only going to be available as a stream. :(

Yes, lot of my friends are mad about the Revolver Atmos mix won't be part of the Super Deluxe Edition. All Atmos mixes were part of the box sets since 2017. Crazy times...

botley
09-25-2022, 08:07 AM
Yes, lot of my friends are mad about the Revolver Atmos mix won't be part of the Super Deluxe Edition. All Atmos mixes were part of the box sets since 2017. Crazy times...
I mean, they put a 5.1 version of the Sgt. Pepper remix on the Blu-ray but held back the Atmos version for streaming. It doesn't make any sense to me — lossless multichannel audio is literally what the Blu-ray format was made for, and the music industry is saying "nah, you can just stream a lossy version instead". Fuck you!

laci
09-28-2022, 04:18 PM
I mean, they put a 5.1 version of the Sgt. Pepper remix on the Blu-ray but held back the Atmos version for streaming. It doesn't make any sense to me — lossless multichannel audio is literally what the Blu-ray format was made for, and the music industry is saying "nah, you can just stream a lossy version instead". Fuck you!

That's it. Stupid motherfuckers, really.