PDA

View Full Version : Quake (1996)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

halo eighteen
09-17-2020, 12:10 PM
^ The "unauthorized image" screenshots (even pixel'd out) could have something to do with it, too.

I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.

BRoswell
09-17-2020, 12:17 PM
Hopefully this release will clarify who actually worked on the music besides Trent. The essay mentions a few people who were around at the time, but it doesn't outright say they worked on it.

mi470
09-17-2020, 12:25 PM
If people want to print this thing with bleed and saddle-stitch it to match the other releases, they'd need a larger size than most retail printing shops like FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) or Office Depot (who merged with OfficeMax) can provide, as the file with bleed included would be a minimum of 22.5"x11.5". The size of the PDF on nin.com is 23"x14.25", so you'd likely need to have them printed at a place that uses a litho/offset printer with 28"x40" press sheets (or something close to that) and print them 3-up. As far as I know, the largest paper size at most retail print shops (and the largest their laser printers can handle) is either 11x17 or 12x18, unless you print on a large-format poster printer, but that's really expensive and often can't do double-sided/duplex printing (even if they could, registration would likely be an issue).

can confirm. i just called my local FedEx Office and Staples and they're not able to do it. so if anybody has access to this kind of printer, i'm more than willing to pay for a copy.

spahn
09-17-2020, 12:38 PM
I find it really absurd and, for a lack of a better term, douchey, that one can't even include screenshots of a ~25 year old game.

As well as, the essay itself, isn't a total bash on ID software. I'm sure worse has been said of them on the interwebs.

imail724
09-17-2020, 12:47 PM
Why would anyone buy the game when they already got the screenshots for free?

/s

halo eighteen
09-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Holy fuck, this is already shipping.

gorast
09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Holy fuck, this is already shipping.

Whoever gets theirs first better answer the download card question, lol.

thelastdisciple
09-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Wouldn't the screenshots fall under fair use? seems bizarre.

It's like getting upset over promotional materials being used or items from a press kit.

fillow
09-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Hopefully this release will clarify who actually worked on the music besides Trent. The essay mentions a few people who were around at the time, but it doesn't outright say they worked on it.
Chris Vrenna did, pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere before.

jmtd
09-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Wouldn't the screenshots fall under fair use? seems bizarre.

It's like getting upset over promotional materials being used or items from a press kit.

They might do, but TR probably needs zenimax consent to use the quake name and logo, so If they put their foot down over the booklet for whatever reason they might have been able to spike the release.

bgalbraith
09-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Idly, Carmack's essay is from 2 years ago, so that says something about how long this was in process (he formally left Oculus not that long ago). I wonder how much of the delay here was entirely due to Zenimax legal vs the usual "soon."

imail724
09-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Idly, Carmack's essay is from 2 years ago, so that says something about how long this was in process (he formally left Oculus not that long ago). I wonder how much of the delay here was entirely due to Zenimax legal vs the usual "soon."
I recall the With Teeth essay being dated a few years before it was actually released too. It seems all of the essays were created around the time the definitive editions were first made known (2016?), even for those that were listed as "coming soon".

Leviathant
09-17-2020, 02:49 PM
For printing out these booklets, you're going to want to go to a real deal print shop. In Philly, I'd probably reach out to either Fireball or Marathon Printing.

I'm incrrrrredibly busy right now with work stuff, I didn't even get my order in on the vinyl until last night. If you can wait a month or two, I might organize something, and if I do, the details will be in the Donor's Lounge, for reasons similar to why Uncoiled started off life there.

And like the more recent Uncoiled digipak, if I did something like this, I would budget the whole thing out, order a fixed quantity, and sell until I had about 18 leftover, and feel really bad about not sending MAD his copies yet. In fact, I wouldn't start this project until I mailed MAD his Uncoiled digipaks, because that's how I process guilt.

I'd consider doing it on higher quality paper than what's been included in the other DE vinyl, depending on the impact to cost. Like with the digipaks, I'd keep it very close to cost, with a few cents overage per item to cover the inevitable lost or damaged shipments.

If someone else beats me to it, I'm not gonna do it. But if no one else does, you know I'll do it right... but I don't move fast.

piggy
09-17-2020, 03:23 PM

Chris Vrenna did, pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere before.
Yeah, there was an interview with Chris where he said all of NIN worked on it, then that was corroborated by American McGee in 2011:
https://www.quaddicted.com/interviews/americanmcgee

TerryG
09-17-2020, 04:19 PM
... a blank vinyl side is really perfect for calibrating the tonearm counterweight!

Do you mean anti-skate?

mr9inchnail
09-17-2020, 05:13 PM
Ordered yesterday and already have a tracking number!!!

halo eighteen
09-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Do you mean anti-skate?

Lol, sure did! I do tend to have a blank vinyl whenever I'm making adjustments with anything though haha

jmtd
09-17-2020, 05:25 PM
I hope this shows up in other stores

minusthesnake
09-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Did anyone download the interview booklet file who can post a link or PM me with it? It's already been removed from the product page. I'm assuming they got a Cease and Desist (as they 100% knew they would).

EDIT: Someone sent me a copy! Here's the link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/files/QUAKE_essays_SEP15_FIN4_GRACoL_CL.pdf?v=1600226971

minusthesnake
09-17-2020, 06:20 PM
I hope this shows up in other stores

All of the other vinyl reissues have ended up on Amazon and in stores 2-4 months later, I'm sure these will too.

I'm holding out for that, since it will be much cheaper and 4 out of 5 times I get damaged jackets from the official NIN store and it's a whole long back and forth to get replacements. I did end up with a $380 credit to the NIN store a few years ago due to a series of fuck ups they made though!

spahn
09-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Did anyone download the interview booklet file who can post a link or PM me with it? It's already been removed from the product page. I'm assuming they got a Cease and Desist (as they 100% knew they would).

This link this works:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/files/QUAKE_essays_SEP15_FIN4_GRACoL_CL.pdf?v=1600226971

@bgalbraith (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/10-bgalbraith) also posted this version which makes the booklet into a more readable PDF: https://we.tl/t-RTgVNzWcfX

thelastdisciple
09-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Wow someone printed one out already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iusako/quake_vinyl_insert_printed_proof/

snaapz
09-17-2020, 08:12 PM
Is anyone planning on framing theirs? Just curious... I’m debating. I’ve never done that and my walls are boring standard art, no music, but Quake is special.

spahn
09-17-2020, 08:17 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iusako/quake_vinyl_insert_printed_proof/Damn, looks nice!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

minusthesnake
09-17-2020, 08:43 PM
Is anyone planning on framing theirs? Just curious... I’m debating. I’ve never done that and my walls are boring standard art, no music, but Quake is special.

You should! I've got records hung up all over my apartment. It's great. Big symbols like this cover artwork read really well on the wall.

sonic_discord
09-17-2020, 09:19 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iusako/quake_vinyl_insert_printed_proof/

I definitely wouldn't print it without replacing the "UNAUTHORIZED IMAGE" images with some actual screenshots, even if I had to guess what originally used to be there.

Horican
09-18-2020, 12:21 AM
The “unauthorized image” is the coolest thing in this!

Erneuert
09-18-2020, 07:01 AM
Quoting myself from 2017 in the other thread: “I’d lol if It Is Raped turns out to be a correct title.”

Suedehead
09-18-2020, 09:46 AM
I can commit to getting a run printed if we can figure out what the redacted images are.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jmtd
09-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Quoting myself from 2017 in the other thread: “I’d lol if It Is Raped turns out to be a correct title.” Yeah that was a pretty good call. I think I cried rather than laughed though.

Leviathant
09-18-2020, 10:39 AM
Quoting myself from 2017 in the other thread: “I’d lol if It Is Raped turns out to be a correct title.”

Easily the most disappointing element of this reissue.

Deacon Blackfire
09-18-2020, 11:58 AM
As Steve Harvey would say, "still a great track though."

BRoswell
09-18-2020, 12:50 PM
I would have just left the titles blank or named them after levels in the game.

bgalbraith
09-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Regarding the redacted gameplay images in the essay booklet, I briefly went into ARG mode and started hunting around in the PDF to see if maybe they were there, just hidden, or some clue as to how to get them. Nothing came up on first search though. Not expecting much, I also did some Google image searching which didn't reveal any obvious matches either. May have to just bust out Quake and see if we can find them in-game.

Leviathant
09-18-2020, 03:53 PM
Someone's gotten started over here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iv40u3/recreating_quake_liner_notes_images/

If I had more time, I'd get the darkplaces mod and go to town.

I don't have enough time right now, so I'm glad to see people stepping up to the challenge.

bgalbraith
09-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Someone's gotten started over here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iv40u3/recreating_quake_liner_notes_images/

If I had more time, I'd get the darkplaces mod and go to town.

I don't have enough time right now, so I'm glad to see people stepping up to the challenge.

The first image is the player holding the axe with an enemy approaching, though where that might be in the game I don't know. I also wonder if the frame grabs in the center montage are supposed to be pixelated? That kinda works for a backdrop texture to the photos as full-res game images might clash and make it hard to make the photos out? Guess we'll find out if people can track them all down.

ekrekel
09-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Null Zero Point Five

CFRvhxln128

gorast
09-18-2020, 04:45 PM
I thought Kraw was joking. It's actually Null 0.5. Amazing.

That means it's the first non-TRAR release with a Null number.

spahn
09-18-2020, 04:49 PM
I thought Kraw was joking. It's actually Null 0.5. Amazing.

That means it's the first non-TRAR release with a Null number.It got the 0.5 since it pre-dated Null01 - TSN.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gorast
09-18-2020, 04:51 PM
It makes sense, it's just so non-standard that I thought it was a joke.

I guess now Null numbers refer to any full soundtrack composed by Trent, either with or without Atticus. Quake will probably be the only one he does without Atticus at this point, though.

jmtd
09-19-2020, 01:10 AM
Also the null numbers are real numbers not integers... the possibilities

MrLobster
09-19-2020, 02:04 AM

I mean, it would be fun to refer to the soundtrack work as a Null set...

otnavuskire
09-19-2020, 07:00 AM
I mean, it would be fun to refer to the soundtrack work as a Null set...

That would imply that it doesn't exist though.

sonic_discord
09-19-2020, 01:01 PM
I almost feel like Quake should be Halo 10.5, but then I suppose it might look like it's somehow related to FDTS. It's just that traditionally, Halo #s (and Seed #s) = NIN, Null #s = TR&AR, and Sigil #s = HTDA. Now there's the one lone exception. Doesn't bother me too much, just thinking out loud...

otnavuskire
09-19-2020, 01:24 PM
I almost feel like Quake should be Halo 10.5, but then I suppose it might look like it's somehow related to FDTS. It's just that traditionally, Halo #s (and Seed #s) = NIN, Null #s = TR&AR, and Sigil #s = HTDA. Now there's the one lone exception. Doesn't bother me too much, just thinking out loud...

It doesn't have to be an exception. Redefine Null to simply mean score work.

muad'nin
09-19-2020, 06:08 PM

*mind explodes at the idea of an uncountably infinite number of null releases*

botley
09-19-2020, 06:41 PM
It already fell between the cracks a little bit, being both a TR solo work and NIN branded. Now that NIN is both TR & AR full stop, and current NIN releases are thru The Null Corporation, it's kinda fitting this is "half" a Null release.

Shadaloo
09-20-2020, 12:17 AM
Now I'm Nulling

Erneuert
09-20-2020, 04:12 AM
It already fell between the cracks a little bit, being both a TR solo work and NIN branded. Now that NIN is both TR & AR full stop, and current NIN releases are thru The Null Corporation, it's kinda fitting this is "half" a Null release.

Well put.

jmtd
09-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Side D has Linux quake client source code etched into it

https://imgur.com/gallery/flw4Cwe

https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/bf4ac424ce754894ac8f1dae6a3981954bc9852d/QW/client/cd_linux.c#L113

BRoswell
09-21-2020, 12:42 PM
And...we finally have confirmation on who worked on the album. Clouser, Finck, Lohner, Reznor, and Vrenna.

spahn
09-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Added Quake Soundtrack to nincatalog. Still waiting for actual vinyl images but the bulk of details can be found here: https://nincatalog.com/films-and-soundtracks/quake-us-vinyl12-1681/

thelastdisciple
09-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Weird timing, so Microsoft is buying Zenimax all of a sudden. I wonder if the vinyl production and negotiations had waited just a bit longer if Microsoft would have been cool with the booklet stuff?

gorast
09-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Very weird to see the Nothing Records logo on this. I guess since the music was produced while NIN was with Interscope, it makes sense to fall under that domain, but it's still odd to see whenever that label gets resurrected for something like this.

Wolfkiller
09-21-2020, 03:04 PM
First Watchmen and now Quake with the no downloads? Doing me a big HURT mister Reznor.

TheBang
09-21-2020, 05:05 PM
Side D has Linux quake client source code etched into it
And not just any code, but the specific code that starts playing the CD music in the game.

Very weird to see the Nothing Records logo on this. I guess since the music was produced while NIN was with Interscope
Yes, Interscope owns the music.

allegate
09-21-2020, 05:17 PM
I thought that's what that code was for, looking at what was linked. very cool.

botley
09-21-2020, 05:19 PM
Specifically, the code includes a subroutine to disallow playing Track 1 (the non-audio data portion of the disc)!

nincatalog has been updated with images, and this link (https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/bf4ac424ce754894ac8f1dae6a3981954bc9852d/QW/client/cd_linux.c#L113) to the original code.

sonic_discord
09-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Over in the Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iv40u3/recreating_quake_liner_notes_images/) where we're trying to recreate the booklet with the unauthorized images (which is actually going really well, by the way), someone pointed out that one of the missing images was a magazine ad. I found this page (https://www.luerzersarchive.com/en/magazine/print-detail/4881.html) that has a fairly low-resolution image of the ad in question and also lists the ad agency responsible (DDB (https://www.ddb.com/) of Dallas, TX, which makes sense since id Software operated out of Mesquite, TX), as well as the art director on the project. Someone from the thread has already reached out to the art director to see if he'd be able to help supply a high-resolution file/image, but I figured I'd mention it here as well just in case anyone here is a hoarder with a stack of magazines from 1996 in their house.

TLDR: Does Anyone have a copy of this ad they could scan so we have a high-res file?

https://i1.lensdump.com/i/0Iefhb.md.png

trollmanen
09-21-2020, 05:55 PM
I think the no downloads issue with both this and Social Network and Watchmen are that they are works for hire essentially, not just NIN music. They likely don't control the rights to the music in the same way as their own, so they probably negotiated licenses to create physical releases for each, but downloads are probably a different story all together.

Deacon Blackfire
09-21-2020, 06:56 PM
I mean all their scoring work is essentially work for hire and that hasn't stopped the vast majority of them (Gone Girl, Before The Flood, The Vietnam War, Bird Box / Null 09) from having a digital format included in their purchase. I thought the many rightholders involved in Watchmen might have hampered it getting any digital distribution and it seems fair to assume that the same unnamed company that hampered the physical release of Quake may have stood in the way of a digital format being included, but I'm still surprised and confused that even The Social Network would be unable to include a download. It's too bad in any case, would have loved to had a digital version of these remasters included in the release but I'm happy to see these records get pressed regardless.

gorast
09-21-2020, 07:53 PM
I don’t understand why there aren’t even download cards. Almost every record has a download card these days. It feels dumb to not include them, especially when Quake is remastered.

Suedehead
09-21-2020, 07:54 PM
I don’t understand why there aren’t even download cards. Almost every record has a download card these days. It feels dumb to not include them, especially when Quake is remastered.Likely to do with licensing costs.

TheBang
09-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Likely to do with licensing costs.
Quake wasn't licensed. It's an Interscope release that Interscope owns, just like TDS, The Fragile, Broken, Deviations, and With Teeth.

Suedehead
09-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Quake wasn't licensed. It's an Interscope release that Interscope owns, just like TDS, The Fragile, Broken, Deviations, and With Teeth.Oh okay, it's probably just cheaper then.

TheBang
09-22-2020, 04:26 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the spine?

mr9inchnail
09-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Did anybody receive a tracking number that actually works? I got mine on Friday and haven't been able to track anything with it

spahn
09-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the spine?

Not yet. I also have not seen a large view of any of the vinyl either.

gorast
09-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Did anybody receive a tracking number that actually works? I got mine on Friday and haven't been able to track anything with it

I don't think any North American orders have actually shipped. Mine's been in "Label Created" status with USPS since Thursday. Hopefully they start going out this week.

mr9inchnail
09-22-2020, 08:36 AM
I don't think any North American orders have actually shipped. Mine's been in "Label Created" status with USPS since Thursday. Hopefully they start going out this week.

Mine just keeps saying thisUPS could not locate the shipment details for this tracking number. Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days. Please verify your information.

I'll feel better if it said "label created" :P

*EDIT* Looks like I should have just waited a bit longer. Packaged received for processing.

thelastdisciple
09-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Did you guys find one? I've been looking through retromags.com and the Internet Archive for scanned mags from that year to no avail.

BRoswell
09-22-2020, 11:02 AM
I'm glad I cancelled my order if there's no digital option included. That was the main reason I ordered it.

sonic_discord
09-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Did you guys find one? I've been looking through retromags.com and the Internet Archive for scanned mags from that year to no avail.

Not really. This (https://lensdump.com/i/0Iefhb) and this (https://cdn-n.luerzersarchive.com/archive/_cache/_12238_5_14bea2db07cfdaf62f7006064f421e64.jpg) are the best versions so far. Thanks for trying, though!

sonic_discord
09-22-2020, 11:12 AM
I'm glad I cancelled my order if there's no digital option included. That was the main reason I ordered it.

I'm still hoping that Trent just quietly sends everyone who ordered the vinyl an email with digital links included.

allegate
09-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Or Seed0 makes a mysterious appearance.

spahn
09-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Or Seed0 makes a mysterious appearance.

Seed 0.5 ;)

snaapz
09-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Was anyone here in a clan? I was in a couple and did a few clan wars. Good ole' days.

sonic_discord
09-22-2020, 12:59 PM
I played a LOT of Doom, Doom II, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Marathon 2: Durandal, and Duke Nukem 3D, but mostly only single-player. It really wasn't until Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena that I played shooters online, but I was never in a clan. I played the original StarCraft and WarCraft III online quite a bit, too.

Leviathant
09-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Was anyone here in a clan? I was in a couple and did a few clan wars. Good ole' days.

My brother and his friend were part of Cow Clan. His friend was... nine? Regularly got kicked under suspicion of being a bot, given his prowess firing an unscoped sniper rifle (in OG Team Fortress, IIRC)

jmtd
09-22-2020, 03:18 PM
I was briefly in a clan but I never took that stuff too seriously. That clan is still going! I played a lot of half life DM, but before that I had wet string Internet so didn’t get much quakeworld in.

Wolfkiller
09-22-2020, 04:41 PM

I was in DEA (death enforcement agency) in Q3A. Freeze tag was the best, I miss those days.

Trent releases Quake on vinyl.....And people are bitching and moaning about no download code.
Trent releases new shirt designs.....And people are bitching and moaning about the sizes of the shirts.

Starting to see why this guy despises a large portion of the fanbase

Bruh stop taking that "suck my entire cock" so seriously. God forbid his fans don't want to pay twice and jump through hoops to listen to the music with our fucking phones turned on.

Erneuert
09-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Over in the Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/iv40u3/recreating_quake_liner_notes_images/) where we're trying to recreate the booklet with the unauthorized images (which is actually going really well, by the way), someone pointed out that one of the missing images was a magazine ad. I found this page (https://www.luerzersarchive.com/en/magazine/print-detail/4881.html) that has a fairly low-resolution image of the ad in question and also lists the ad agency responsible (DDB (https://www.ddb.com/) of Dallas, TX, which makes sense since id Software operated out of Mesquite, TX), as well as the art director on the project. Someone from the thread has already reached out to the art director to see if he'd be able to help supply a high-resolution file/image, but I figured I'd mention it here as well just in case anyone here is a hoarder with a stack of magazines from 1996 in their house.

TLDR: Does Anyone have a copy of this ad they could scan so we have a high-res file?

That's damn impressive.

No wonder all the Year Zero ARG stuff got solved so quickly with a fanbase like this.

Leprekon666
09-24-2020, 05:36 AM
This link this works:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/files/QUAKE_essays_SEP15_FIN4_GRACoL_CL.pdf?v=1600226971

@bgalbraith (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/10-bgalbraith) also posted this version which makes the booklet into a more readable PDF: https://we.tl/t-RTgVNzWcfX

i didn’t have time to download this and it’s not available no more. Can someone pm the link or files for the artwork. I see there’s the PDF file of the essay above. I see that PDF file is the quake booklet with artwork. Wasn’t there a separate thing for the essay all in white?

dlb
09-24-2020, 06:45 AM
Quick shot of the spine as TheBang asked:

https://i.ibb.co/F8VFq9V/IMG-9732.jpg

spahn
09-24-2020, 07:12 AM
i didn’t have time to download this and it’s not available no more. Can someone pm the link or files for the artwork. I see there’s the PDF file of the essay above. I see that PDF file is the quake booklet with artwork. Wasn’t there a separate thing for the essay all in white?

NINDestruct's PDF printout of the webpage: http://nindestruct.com/misc/quake_essay_html.pdf
NINDestruct's Original PDF booklet: http://nindestruct.com/misc/QUAKE_essays_SEP15_FIN4_GRACoL_CL.pdf
@bgalbraith (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=10)'s reformated Booklet: https://we.tl/t-RTgVNzWcfX

Hope this helps.

TheBang
09-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Quick shot of the spine as @TheBang (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=176) asked:
Thank you!

Between that and the store listing, that helps me feel better about "Nine Inch Nails" as the credited artist, rather than "Trent Reznor" or "Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails"

mi470
09-24-2020, 08:32 AM
any movement at all on US shipments? i know the Postal Service is fucked right now, but my copy shipped the day it was made available, but the tracking number has yet to update.

Leprekon666
09-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Has anyone found someone getting these booklets printed with the correct photos?

fillow
09-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Thank you!

Between that and the store listing, that helps me feel better about "Nine Inch Nails" as the credited artist, rather than "Trent Reznor" or "Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails"
Still not gonna change my tags from Trent Reznor.
I've got revisionism! (not)

kraw
09-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Nice work!

zecho
09-24-2020, 10:33 PM
I think it's very interesting that this is being retroactively added both to the Nine Inch Nails catalog and to the Null releases. It seems that as time goes on, the distinctions between the score work and Nine Inch Nails are becoming thinner and thinner. This was something discussed when Together and Locusts came out, and it's become even more apparent here. It seems the only distinction left is what name it's released under now.

mr9inchnail
09-25-2020, 08:40 AM
any movement at all on US shipments? i know the Postal Service is fucked right now, but my copy shipped the day it was made available, but the tracking number has yet to update.

Not sure on US shipments but I ordered the day they were released. I received tracking information later that day but it wasn't in UPS's system until Tuesday of this week and now it's been stuck on "Package departed international carrier facility" for the last two days. I'm not sure if this means it's now in Canada and they can't track it and it'll just show up whenever or if it's still in the US.

gorast
09-25-2020, 08:55 AM
I think it's very interesting that this is being retroactively added both to the Nine Inch Nails catalog and to the Null releases. It seems that as time goes on, the distinctions between the score work and Nine Inch Nails are becoming thinner and thinner. This was something discussed when Together and Locusts came out, and it's become even more apparent here. It seems the only distinction left is what name it's released under now.

I think the distinction is who they're working for. Even considering the theory that some/all of Together and Locusts is derived from the Woman in the Window soundtrack, because they were taken off the film, the music isn't for the film any more, so now it's NIN because it's just music coming out. Quake is NIN because it was 1996 and the live band was involved, I guess, and the "brand name" of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross didn't exist because he wasn't working with Atticus. I don't think Quake changes anything going forward because Trent's probably never doing solo soundtrack work ever again.

So, in short, if it's work-for-hire music, it's TRAR. If it's their own work, it's NIN. What the music sounds like hasn't mattered in that distinction for a while, IMO.

Suedehead
09-25-2020, 09:22 AM
For what it's worth I ordered within minutes, and I haven't gotten anything more than a purchase confirmation email yet.

Toadflax
09-25-2020, 09:44 AM
So, in short, if it's work-for-hire music, it's TRAR. If it's their own work, it's NIN. What the music sounds like hasn't mattered in that distinction for a while, IMO.

I mentioned somewhere that I had wondered if Trent and Atticus would ever have a reason to score something "as Nine Inch Nails" and what that would sound like (i.e. if a score called for mostly heavy guitar music and therefore felt drastically different from their usual score work). But then Watchmen happened, which to me felt like the perfect opportunity for the score work to be credited to (t)NIN instead of TR/AR (excluding the jazz tracks from Vol. 3).

So yeah, based on that, you're probably right. Anytime they're scoring for someone else, they won't call it NIN, and anytime they're doing their own thing, they probably won't have reason to call it TR/AR (unless they do something that's so un-NIN they choose not to identify it as such). Quake is its own thing from a previous era, of course, so it doesn't have to play by the same rules.

imail724
09-25-2020, 10:31 AM
Available to pre-order from Udiscover Music with a November 13 release date. (https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/nine-inch-nails-quake-soundtrack-remastered-2lp?utm_campaign=64945_Nu%20Releases%20%289%2F25%2 F2020%29_231934_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotmailer&dm_i=4YYL,1E41,PO1VE,6ANJ,1)

TheBang
09-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Available to pre-order from Udiscover Music with a November 13 release date. (https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/nine-inch-nails-quake-soundtrack-remastered-2lp?utm_campaign=64945_Nu%20Releases%20%289%2F25%2 F2020%29_231934_US&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotmailer&dm_i=4YYL,1E41,PO1VE,6ANJ,1)
Could possibly arrive sooner than NIN Store orders.

Shadaloo
09-25-2020, 08:04 PM
Mine's in Fontana, California as of yesterday. Heading to me in Canada. *Shrug*

mr9inchnail
09-25-2020, 11:00 PM
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/158032/Nine_Inch_Nails_NIN-Quake-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Wulgaren
09-25-2020, 11:53 PM
i wish trent made a solo score again. i mean tetsuo and driver down?? masterpieces

ninlive
09-26-2020, 08:30 AM
I guess I missed the boat on the updated screenshots booklet. Anyone have a link to that? Sorry, but huge thanks. :)

otnavuskire
09-26-2020, 11:57 AM
For those still waiting for their USPS tracking numbers to update, I just plugged mine into UPS and found it's been on the move since Monday!

BRoswell
09-26-2020, 12:25 PM
i wish trent made a solo score again. i mean tetsuo and driver down?? masterpieces

Atticus produced Tetsuo.

Wulgaren
09-26-2020, 02:17 PM
oh wow!

denuir
09-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Curious to hear if anyone actually receives the Quake vinyl. I ordered, it was shipped, and today I just took delivery of The Social Network Score instead, which I did not order.

Leviathant
09-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Curious to hear if anyone actually receives the Quake vinyl. I ordered, it was shipped, and today I just took delivery of The Social Network Score instead, which I did not order.

That happened to a friend of mine on Facebook as well.

xfocalinx
09-27-2020, 03:34 PM
sign me up as interested in physical booklet plz <3

NotoriousTIMP
09-27-2020, 11:42 PM
sign me up as interested in physical booklet plz <3

I was working with a local print shop here in San Diego but I have put it on the back burner since my family is moving to South Carolina in 20 days. We have a TON of packing + trying to sell the house and I just cant devote the time needed to handle shipping orders. Perhaps once I get settled in I will look into taking up the mantle of getting these printed and out to fans. I know I really want a high quality print!

Leviathant
09-28-2020, 10:48 AM
Likewise, on top of the world falling apart, I've got three big life events happening simultaneously and tenuously. I DGAF about making booklets right now, but I'll get around to it at some point, if no one beats me to it.

Ideally I'll print them with the redacted graphics restored.

NotoriousTIMP
09-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Likewise, on top of the world falling apart, I've got three big life events happening simultaneously and tenuously. I DGAF about making booklets right now, but I'll get around to it at some point, if no one beats me to it.

Ideally I'll print them with the redacted graphics restored.

give me like a month from now and I should be able to iron out the details. Hopefully by then we will have the updated images ready to go!

eversonpoe
09-30-2020, 05:33 PM
confession time: outside of playing the game a little as a kid, i've never actually listened to the quake soundtrack. so i'm sitting here spinning it on vinyl, and it's my first time. and holy fucking shit, this is SO GOOD. to think that i could have spent the last 20+ years listening to this and never did is a fucking travesty.

anyway, i'm really, really glad to finally have it. and it sounds phenomenal.

allegate
09-30-2020, 07:54 PM
my friend and his brother always put in another CD so they listened to whatever was shitty and popular that year instead. and I didn't have a computer that could run it so I have only listened to it and played the first level since there was no internet to buy the rest of the game nor download a crack.

still haven't, I just realized.

barkhammer
09-30-2020, 07:57 PM
my friend and his brother always put in another CD so they listened to whatever was shitty and popular that year instead. and I didn't have a computer that could run it so I have only listened to it and played the first level since there was no internet to buy the rest of the game nor download a crack.

still haven't, I just realized.

I also did this and remember playing the game with Aphex Twin - SAW II and the Alien 3 soundtrack!

BRoswell
10-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Got my copy today. No download code, but a nice set nonetheless. Will have to test it out at a friend's house soon.

picketyp
10-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Just got my copy delivered. Seeing the Null 0.5 number makes my annoyance at Fragile Deviations being Haloed in the middle of the trilogy much more prominent... drives me nuts that it isn't officially catalogued with the other Fragile-era stuff! I guess I will continue to feel like a deviant for sorting it "out of order" on my shelf.

This release does look spectacular, though.

neorev
10-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Just got my copy delivered. Seeing the Null 0.5 number makes my annoyance at Fragile Deviations being Haloed in the middle of the trilogy much more prominent... drives me nuts that it isn't officially catalogued with the other Fragile-era stuff! I guess I will continue to feel like a deviant for sorting it "out of order" on my shelf.

The Fragile Deviations 1 should've been Halo 14D

Erneuert
10-01-2020, 10:15 PM

With TR being so fussy with halo numbers I don't know why he didn't put it as Halo 14 (something).

botley
10-02-2020, 01:27 AM
This is way off topic, but I believe they rebuilt Deviations 1 from the ground up — Alan Moulder restored the multitracks for everything that was on tape into hi-res digital sessions, and they mixed a whole a bunch of the tracks from scratch. It's basically a new album from the same sessions, even though some of the sequencing is the same. By contrast, The Downward Spiral and With Teeth instrumentals (and other one-off ones we've heard) are just the exact same mixes you hear on the record with the vocal track muted. So I can see the justification for a new halo. Y'all just bitter still about how the vinyl was rolled out.

mr9inchnail
10-02-2020, 09:26 AM
Still waiting for my copy of both. Tracking number hasn't been updated since 27th saying that it finally arrived in Canada. Impatiently waiting for these. Hoping they come today because, if they don't, they won't be here until next week.

I preordered PJ MTV Unplugged directly from the ten club and also ordered a shirt with it. They sent the shirt early (September 11th. The vinyl doesn't come out until next month) it only arrived here this week. I didn't even know it was sent. I had the item in my hand before they sent me a tracking number. Checked the tracking number once I received it and it said the item was out for delivery.

Kinda wishing I didn't have a tracking number for these two as I find myself checking status 50 times a day LOL.

cahernandez
10-02-2020, 09:27 AM

Thanks for posting this, bro (or sis). When you posted this I went to the website to check it out, I then added it to my cart just to check how much it was going to be with taxes included, so I entered my email address but did not buy it, this was last week. Today I checked my inbox, and saw that I had a 20% discount coupon for new shoppers at the Universal website, so I pulled the trigger, and got it for $33.77, taxes and shipping included FTW!

imail724
10-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting this, bro (or sis). When you posted this I went to the website to check it out, I then added it to my cart just to check how much it was going to be with taxes included, so I entered my email address but did not buy it, this was last week. Today I checked my inbox, and saw that I had a 20% discount coupon for new shoppers at the Universal website, so I pulled the trigger, and got it for $33.77, taxes and shipping included FTW!
That reminds me, they also have a coupon code for 20% that has been going since at least the summer. Enter COMEBACK for 20% off your entire order. I've used it multiple times and just tried it now and it still works.

tricil
10-02-2020, 10:23 AM
[redacted]

MrLobster
10-03-2020, 01:30 AM
Just gave it a nice full listen and I'm really happy with the pressing (could have been mastered louder though... but at least this way you can turn it up).

I always felt that that "Reptilian" could be placed in this game context quite easily (well, more Doom... but you get the idea).

nmitchell86
10-03-2020, 11:24 AM
NOt sure if this has been posted but... Quake is on pre-order from Amazon. Might come with an Amazon MP3 download. TSN vinyl on Amazon gets a MP3 download.

Quake https://www.amazon.com/Quake-LP-Nine-Inch-Nails/dp/B08K5CSKC9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=quake+vinyl&qid=1601742011&sr=8-1

TSN https://www.amazon.com/Social-Network-Definitive-LP/dp/B08K5F6FKQ/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1601741851&sr=8-1

jmtd
10-03-2020, 02:18 PM
AMazon UK listing, although no details yet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quake-VINYL-Nine-Inch-Nails/dp/B08K5CSKC9/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Network-Original-Soundtrack-Definitive/dp/B08K5F6FKQ/

mi470
10-03-2020, 08:14 PM
i still have yet to receive my copy, even though i ordered it within minutes of it going up. it "shipped" almost 2 weeks ago, yet the tracking number says USPS is still awaiting the package. even entered it in UPS (because that worked for my copy of TSN) and i get nothing. i've reached out to customer service, so hopefully they'll have some sort of update.

mr9inchnail
10-03-2020, 11:00 PM
i still have yet to receive my copy, even though i ordered it within minutes of it going up. it "shipped" almost 2 weeks ago, yet the tracking number says USPS is still awaiting the package. even entered it in UPS (because that worked for my copy of TSN) and i get nothing. i've reached out to customer service, so hopefully they'll have some sort of update.

UPS tracking tells me mine is in Canada but no update since September 25th.
USPS tells me it's in Vancouver and in transit. But again still no update since the 25th.

Hopefully it shows up soon

jmtd
10-04-2020, 02:07 AM
Kind of OT, but if anyone feels like rediscovering the game, too, you should. Grab Quakespasm, find the game data (if you buy it on steam or gog you can extract the game data to use with quakespasm) and try out some modern fan-made maps.

I recommend browsing quaddicted.com to see what’s out there. “Quakeinjector” is a convenient front end to play any map on that site. Go find “honey” which is incredible. But also find the mod “arcane dimensions” which is chock full of amazing pieces of work. And any of the recent “map jams” where people show off what they can do in time limited bursts to a set theme.

sonic_discord
10-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Random thought: It just occurred to me how much Videodrones; Questions sounds like it could have been on the Quake soundtrack. Then I realized that they were released less than a year apart. Also, I kind of want a Quake II vinyl now. Any other Quake II soundtrack fans in here?

And if anyone downloads those MP3s from Amazon and discovers that they are the remastered version, I'd love a PM (I own Quake in both CD and Vinyl format, so I'm a legit paid customer).

jmtd
10-05-2020, 01:44 AM
And if anyone downloads those MP3s from Amazon and discovers that they are the remastered version, I'd love a PM (I own Quake in both CD and Vinyl format, so I'm a legit paid customer).

I haven’t confirmed but I strongly think they must be the new issue because there wasn’t a previous release except as part of the game

TheBang
10-05-2020, 04:22 AM
There’s no indication that Amazon is providing MP3’s. If they were it would say “AutoRip” like it does on the TSN listing.

mr9inchnail
10-05-2020, 09:21 AM
For those in Canada waiting for a Canadian link

Amazon.CA

https://www.amazon.ca/Quake-Vinyl-Nine-Inch-Nails/dp/B08K5CSKC9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=quake+vinyl&qid=1601906600&s=music&sr=1-2

"Currently Unavailable" Though

Leprekon666
10-05-2020, 02:11 PM

Amazon.CA

https://www.amazon.ca/Quake-Vinyl-Nine-Inch-Nails/dp/B08K5CSKC9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=quake+vinyl&qid=1601906600&s=music&sr=1-2

yea saw hose on the weekend. Added to watch/notifications but I know I will get alerted faster on here then amazon themselves. At least I know what I’ll be asking for Christmas lol

Shadaloo
10-05-2020, 02:20 PM
UPS tracking tells me mine is in Canada but no update since September 25th.
USPS tells me it's in Vancouver and in transit. But again still no update since the 25th.

Hopefully it shows up soon

I'm in exactly the same boat.

EDIT: Nevermind then, postman just rang, be on the lookout!

https://i.imgur.com/mW7wUADl.jpg

mr9inchnail
10-05-2020, 02:36 PM
I'm in exactly the same boat.

I contacted UPS and they told me since it's been more than a week since it's been update and it's past the expected delivery date that this parcel is considered missing and that I would need to contact the seller. I've opened up a ticket with nin.com.

It's probably due to everything being back logged due to covid-19 but UPS telling me they consider it missing ... I don't feel comfortable not talking to NIN.com LOL

Shadaloo
10-05-2020, 02:51 PM
I contacted UPS and they told me since it's been more than a week since it's been update and it's past the expected delivery date that this parcel is considered missing and that I would need to contact the seller. I've opened up a ticket with nin.com.

It's probably due to everything being back logged due to covid-19 but UPS telling me they consider it missing ... I don't feel comfortable not talking to NIN.com LOL

Whereabouts are you? In Montreal, I just updated my post because it just showed up (and it's satanically delicous).

mr9inchnail
10-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Whereabouts are you? In Montreal, I just updated my post because it just showed up (and it's satanically delicous).

I'm in Ajax, ON just outside of Toronto. So basically what you're telling me is I should check my doorstep ? LOL

mr9inchnail
10-05-2020, 04:07 PM

I unfortunately wasn't as lucky as you were :(

mr9inchnail
10-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Well look what showed up today

https://imgur.com/SbnfXDC

Shadaloo
10-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Well look what showed up today

https://imgur.com/SbnfXDC

I'm glad you got it :)

Honestly, living in Canada has inundated me to getting things 1-2 weeks to a month after everyone else. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it didn't take longer.

mr9inchnail
10-06-2020, 03:22 PM
I'm glad you got it :)

Honestly, living in Canada has inundated me to getting things 1-2 weeks to a month after everyone else. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it didn't take longer.

Bird Box OST. I ordered it on Thursday or Friday (Whatever day it was released on nin.com) and it came the following Monday. I don't know where this one went wrong.

I must say as well. Both these records (I also received TSN) were packaged VERY well. I wish other places that sell vinyl would learn how to package them properly for shipment!

Leprekon666
10-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Bird Box OST. I ordered it on Thursday or Friday (Whatever day it was released on nin.com) and it came the following Monday. I don't know where this one went wrong.

I must say as well. Both these records (I also received TSN) were packaged VERY well. I wish other places that sell vinyl would learn how to package them properly for shipment!
What was wrong with Sandbag lol. They packaged so shitty I had 3 damaged copies and 1 mint copy! Them and SRC are the best!

mr9inchnail
10-06-2020, 09:13 PM
What was wrong with Sandbag lol. They packaged so shitty I had 3 damaged copies and 1 mint copy! Them and SRC are the best!

Honestly newtownvideo third party seller on Amazon is the best lmao. Not a chance!

3knic
10-06-2020, 10:52 PM
Quake sure is an interesting listen - I'm going to have to listen a few more times to really let it set in and see how much I can handle. I feel like I'm walking through hell!

Leprekon666
10-07-2020, 04:54 AM
Honestly newtownvideo third party seller on Amazon is the best lmao. Not a chance!
Ok you got me beat lol. Maybe the kids were practicing wrapping Christmas presents haha

mauro995
10-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Saw this on Reddit https://archive.org/details/nin_quake_liner_replaced/QUAKE_essays_replaced_brighter_OCT02/mode/2up

nmitchell86
10-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Saw this on Reddit https://archive.org/details/nin_quake_liner_replaced/QUAKE_essays_replaced_brighter_OCT02/mode/2up

Where on reddit did you see this? Did I miss it on r/nin?

Leprekon666
10-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Where on reddit did you see this? Did I miss it on r/nin?
https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/j812i3/had_it_made_came_out_nice_if_not_a_bit_small/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

had to scroll down a little bit but was today. If anyone from Canada knows a good place to get this done or if someone is going to print a bunch for ets I’m in for a copy with the real images.

Leprekon666
10-09-2020, 11:18 PM

Amazon.CA

$43.75 available for preorder. TSN still currently unavailable.

imail724
10-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Anyone still waiting for a better price to pull the trigger on these, both are included in Target's Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale. Got both + a $35 Dinosaur Jr album for about $80 shipped.

Lerxto
10-14-2020, 06:16 AM
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/549112665298173964/765894994887835708/33333.jpg?width=919&height=630

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/549112665298173964/765894991729655818/2222.jpg?width=956&height=630

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/549112665298173964/765894991133671474/1111.jpg?width=856&height=630

Here's mine. One with glossy finish, one without (same as other DE reissues).

sonic_discord
10-14-2020, 11:16 AM

Where'd you have them printed? Any chance you can make more for people like myself?

spahn
10-14-2020, 12:35 PM

If you don't mind, how much was the cost?

Fadeout54321
10-14-2020, 01:40 PM

Which version did you use? I saw that there is a "brighter" version and a "regular" version that was put together that had the redacted images added back in. Thanks! Oh these look great btw!

mr9inchnail
10-14-2020, 04:02 PM
$43.75 available for preorder. TSN still currently unavailable.

Hope you preordered it when you did. $59 now.

Lerxto
10-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Where'd you have them printed? Any chance you can make more for people like myself?

Local printer. It's possible, but I'm not sure I could handle them properly. The shipping cost could also be prohibitive, since the size of the booklet is 11"x11".
Since all the required details are on the pdf file, it was easier than I thought. I chose the type of paper, drove there and picked it up the next day. That's pretty much all I needed to do.

If you don't mind, how much was the cost?

It cost me $30.

Which version did you use? I saw that there is a "brighter" version and a "regular" version that was put together that had the redacted images added back in. Thanks! Oh these look great btw!

I used the brighter one. The regular one was too dark when I saw the sample.

sonic_discord
10-14-2020, 09:10 PM
As someone earlier stated, it could be rolled and shipped in a short (maybe 3" x 12" or 13") poster tube, which shouldn't be too expensive.

mi470
10-14-2020, 09:26 PM
does anyone have the reedited version of the booklet? i seemed to have missed out on the link for it, but still have the original PDF from when the record went up for preorder.

Zimbo
10-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Were we supposed to get a download code with the vinyl?

sonic_discord
10-14-2020, 09:55 PM
Were we supposed to get a download code with the vinyl?
Sadly, no.

Zimbo
10-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Sadly, no.

UGH!!! I suppose I will have to fish around! Just, that doesn't happen enough to warrant the capture materials since I only have one closet in this blasted apartment.

Leprekon666
10-15-2020, 06:28 PM
Hope you preordered it when you did. $59 now.
Yup I did but probably gonna get it locally as it probably be cheaper for both together and for Christmas.

neorev
10-15-2020, 08:01 PM
Preorder here for $36...

https://www.importcds.com/quake/602567065388

TheBang
10-15-2020, 09:11 PM
Preorder here for $36...

https://www.importcds.com/quake/602567065388
Or $35 with free shipping:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/quake/602567065388

blassster
10-17-2020, 12:18 AM
id's concept artist had a tiny non-comment on the lack of a booklet (nothing to be learned, but thought it worth sharing still).

User asks about a photo of the vinyl: "Does it include with the super rare Vinyl Booklet that speaks about the development of the game and the relationship between ID and NIN? That'd be very valuable for a collector"

He answers: "No, and there's even more to that story that's only ever been alluded to."

source tweet (https://twitter.com/jonlane_art/status/1310020544360787969)

Fucking large corporations.

allegate
10-17-2020, 12:50 PM
even larger since MS bought them.

piggy
10-17-2020, 02:48 PM
does anyone have the reedited version of the booklet? i seemed to have missed out on the link for it, but still have the original PDF from when the record went up for preorder.
https://archive.org/details/nin_quake_liner_replaced/QUAKE_essays_replaced_brighter_OCT02/mode/2up

mr9inchnail
10-19-2020, 03:44 PM
Side three of my set is scratched up pretty bad. I wouldn't mind it if you couldn't hear it but it's audible. Anybody else have issues with theirs?

BRoswell
10-19-2020, 08:33 PM
Finally got around to recording my copy before it gets passed on to a friend who is a Quake fanatic. Sounds amazing.

Toadflax
10-19-2020, 09:11 PM
Side three of my set is scratched up pretty bad. I wouldn't mind it if you couldn't hear it but it's audible. Anybody else have issues with theirs?

Flip it to the side without computer code scratched into it. :p

Demogorgon
10-19-2020, 09:34 PM
If a brave Soul is willing to Seek, you can find digital rips floating around of variable quality. Some claim to be lossless.

mr9inchnail
10-21-2020, 02:34 PM
Flip it to the side without computer code scratched into it. :p

I knew somebody was going to be a smartass LMAO... that's side four :P

Nobody? Just me?

MrLobster
10-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Nobody? Just me?

Mine's fine.

jmtd
10-31-2020, 04:09 AM
Still haven’t found a UK reseller

WorzelG
11-01-2020, 01:20 AM
Ugh an unintended consequence of this being released means UMG are taking down Quake gameplay videos on YouTube that have been up for years. Hope this gets sorted out

zecho
11-03-2020, 08:42 PM
Ugh an unintended consequence of this being released means UMG are taking down Quake gameplay videos on YouTube that have been up for years. Hope this gets sorted out

Major labels are scum.

Leprekon666
11-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Amazon.ca @ it’s best. Release day and currently unavailable and no idea when it will come in stock. Had $30 promotional credit for a few issues lately so I made a new order to use it and was gonna get TSN during the holidays but I might have to get both from my local during Christmas time.

azad_ninja
11-13-2020, 01:28 PM
it was listed last night at $43.75. guess they sold out. I noticed on NIN.com its sold out too.

Leprekon666
11-13-2020, 05:04 PM
it was listed last night at $43.75. guess they sold out. I noticed on NIN.com its sold out too.
I preordered it oct 31 with my credit and only 3rd party seller now.

Edit: looks like this is a trend now like watchmen. It now has a release date of January 22, 2021 on Amazon.com and Acoustic Sounds so I guess I have to wait longer.

imail724
11-14-2020, 10:48 AM
I ordered Quake and TSN from udiscover a week or 2 ago and yesterday received notification that my order is now expected to ship around January 22nd, 2021

brotha52
11-16-2020, 05:23 PM
There's a merch FB group that is looking to get the uncensored booklet produced. I tried to steer them this direction to see if there's any group interest here.

seasonsinthesky
11-16-2020, 06:55 PM
This has hit Deezer, iTunes Store, and Apple Music (in Canada, anyway). Nothing on HDtracks or 7digital, though.

blassster
11-16-2020, 08:03 PM
This has hit Deezer, iTunes Store, and Apple Music (in Canada, anyway). Nothing on HDtracks or 7digital, though.Wonder if someone with deezer hifi and enough knowledge can do a local MITM and sniff the packets for the FLAC file access points. Or something like that. My knowledge on this is limited, but I think that's how the HM-era remix tracks exclusive to Apple music became available. There's an offline listening mode for Deezer PC.

TheBang
11-17-2020, 03:02 AM
Whoa, whoa, slow your roll there. It can take a few days/weeks for digital distribution to show up at all the stores (and locales; looks like it's nowhere in the US so far), so let's give it a little time before we get all pirate-y here.

tricil
11-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Part of this has that vibe when the first Tool demo tape appeared on streaming services and then vanished.

While it’s true that some streaming services take longer to propagate than others, the delivery of it seems *very* un-NIN.

That said, I’m eager to listen to this elsewhere than just my turntable such as my phone, in the car, etc. :)

I just hope it’s real and not some eager fan who somehow successfully uploaded the album to TuneCore or Distrokid or whatever.

botley
11-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Part of this has that vibe when the first Tool demo tape appeared on streaming services and then vanished.

While it’s true that some streaming services take longer to propagate than others, the delivery of it seems *very* un-NIN.

That said, I’m eager to listen to this elsewhere than just my turntable such as my phone, in the car, etc. :)

I just hope it’s real and not some eager fan who somehow successfully uploaded the album to TuneCore or Distrokid or whatever.

If they did, they credited it properly to Interscope Records/UMG Recordings, Inc. This appears to be legit as it does seem to be the remastered audio, not a CD or vinyl rip.

Official FLAC download appears first, once again, as a worldwide exclusive on the Tidal Store (https://store.tidal.com/ca/album/161196484).

Interestingly enough, on Tidal it carries a 2017 release date (presumably when it was remastered), with a (C) 2020 UMG Recordings... though on Apple Music it says copyright/released 1996.

tricil
11-17-2020, 09:25 AM
If they did, they credited it properly to Interscope Records/UMG Recordings, Inc. This appears to be legit as it does seem to be the remastered audio, not a CD or vinyl rip.

Official FLAC download appears first, once again, as a worldwide exclusive on the Tidal Store (https://store.tidal.com/ca/album/161196484).

Interestingly enough, on Tidal it carries a 2017 release date (presumably when it was remastered), with a (C) 2020 UMG Recordings... though on Apple Music it says copyright/released 1996.

Nothing on the Tidal Store in the U.S. as of now

bgalbraith
11-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Appears to be on Spotify. Top line indicates a 1995 release date, but the bottom lines show
© 2020 UMG Recordings, Inc.
℗ An Interscope Records release; ℗ 1996 UMG Recordings, Inc.

jmtd
11-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Not yet in iTunes UK and that tidal link was broken for me. Long given up hope

neorev
11-18-2020, 02:44 AM
My friend in Sweden said Quake is on Tidal there.

TheBang
11-18-2020, 04:52 AM
It appears to currently be available in Europe, Australia, Central and South America, Canada, Mexico.
Not available in US, UK, Japan.

It is available for purchase on TIDAL and Qobuz in the appropriate regions. It is not on 7Digital yet. It looks like it is 16/44. I have not seen a high-res version.

Leprekon666
11-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Amazon.ca has a release date of November 27 which I doubt it as rest of the world list it as January 22 even on amazon.com LoL

BRoswell
11-18-2020, 09:08 AM
It appears to currently be available in Europe, Australia, Central and South America, Canada.

Not available in US, UK, Japan.

It is available for purchase on TIDAL and Qobuz in the appropriate regions. It is not on 7Digital yet. It looks like it is 16/44. I have not seen a high-res version.

Who is it credited to on these sites? Is it just Nine Inch Nails, or is it Trent Reznor & Nine Inch Nails? Just want to know if/when it surfaces on those sites in the States.

tricil
11-18-2020, 09:14 AM
Who is it credited to on these sites? Is it just Nine Inch Nails, or is it Trent Reznor & Nine Inch Nails? Just want to know if/when it surfaces on those sites in the States.

Just as the vinyl is, it’s a Nine Inch Nails release. Turns out, it always has been.

MrLobster
11-18-2020, 09:49 AM

reporting from Canada; Nine Inch Nails (Tidal link (https://store.tidal.com/ca/album/161196484))

allegate
11-18-2020, 11:42 AM
Just as the vinyl is, it’s a Nine Inch Nails release. Turns out, it always has been.
https://en.meming.world/images/en/thumb/0/08/Always_has_been.jpg/300px-Always_has_been.jpg

zecho
11-19-2020, 07:04 PM
It is now stream-able, but not purchase-able, on Tidal in the US. It's only a matter of time now.

rjy33
11-19-2020, 07:28 PM
It is now stream-able, but not purchase-able, on Tidal in the US. It's only a matter of time now.

where? not seeing it on desktop or app.

zecho
11-19-2020, 07:57 PM
where? not seeing it on desktop or app.

Full disclosure: I don't have a Tidal subscription. Maybe it's not available to stream. But it certainly looks like it's available to stream here (https://tidal.com/browse/album/161196484).

rjy33
11-19-2020, 08:14 PM
When it takes me to my Tidal app it says “album has been removed” WTF

sonic_discord
11-19-2020, 09:37 PM
There were also private/unlisted videos for the individual tracks on the official NIN YouTube account earlier today that I can't find anymore.

TheBang
11-20-2020, 05:37 AM
There were also private/unlisted videos for the individual tracks on the official NIN YouTube account earlier today that I can't find anymore.
Probably auto-generated audio content by the label. If it's not available in your region, you won't be able to see the video in listings.

bobbie solo
11-21-2020, 02:34 AM
Oh it's def. out there. in FLAC. PM me if that's ok.

Wulgaren
11-21-2020, 09:04 AM
its on spotify here in poland but not on apple music (which is what im using...)

zecho
11-21-2020, 12:46 PM
When it takes me to my Tidal app it says “album has been removed” WTF

Well shit, it's gone now.

seasonsinthesky
11-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Yep, gone from Apple Music and iTunes Store.

TheBang
11-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Yeah, that is kind of crazy. It looks like it is gone from everywhere it was available earlier this week.

MrLobster
11-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Yeah, that is kind of crazy. It looks like it is gone from everywhere it was available earlier this week.

Gotta say, that's kinda surprising...

...just gotta wait for a respawn now. No camping. :)

zecho
11-21-2020, 09:04 PM
I have what I believe to be the digital remaster that was available before. It is definitely remastered, having completely different levels than what's on the CD, but it is a remaster of the pre-emphasized audio. Is that what the vinyl has on it?

botley
11-22-2020, 06:34 AM
I have what I believe to be the digital remaster that was available before. It is definitely remastered, having completely different levels than what's on the CD, but it is a remaster of the pre-emphasized audio. Is that what the vinyl has on it?
Yep. The frequency response is a little bit less harsh but it's definitely not the de-emphasized version.

zecho
11-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Yep. The frequency response is a little bit less harsh but it's definitely not the de-emphasized version.

That's... bizarre. I wonder what the reasoning was for that.

botley
11-22-2020, 03:56 PM
That's... bizarre. I wonder what the reasoning was for that.
Well, the simplest explanation is they wanted those high frequencies in there, and the pre-emphasis flag was simply a mistake on CDs that have it.

Leprekon666
11-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Gotta say, that's kinda surprising...

...just gotta wait for a respawn now. No camping. :)
At least it stays in my Apple Music library.

tricil
11-23-2020, 07:53 PM
At least it stays in my Apple Music library.

For now, but don’t count on it being playable for too long.

bobbie solo
11-24-2020, 02:42 AM
Just hit me up people.

Leprekon666
11-24-2020, 08:55 AM
For now, but don’t count on it being playable for too long.
Yup no longer able to play them.

Leprekon666
11-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Amazon.ca are totally clueless on release dates. It was temporary out of stock yesterday now today just the listing. Gonna really wait till January 22. I see another Watchman fiasco lol.

MrLobster
11-27-2020, 11:55 AM
https://twitter.com/derbybeardo/status/1332382271030976512

So I'm watching the latest LGR video and I spy this... to add to the credits situation.... but does that mean TR did the effects and NIN did the music?

jmtd
11-27-2020, 04:39 PM
It’s even more complicated than that I think. Certainly TR/NIN only did some of the effects, however the credit is doled out. Some of them are taken from royalty free sound libraries and modified only slightly (same technique used in doom), and John Romero claimed to make a bunch of others himself too.

Wulgaren
11-28-2020, 07:05 AM
its mostly trent's work with help from that period's nin band. just like on nin albums, theyre just credited differently by the id team

ton
11-30-2020, 10:36 PM
Damn, we just keep getting the run around on whether or not this will actually be available on digital music services.

cdm
12-01-2020, 02:35 PM
Damn, we just keep getting the run around on whether or not this will actually be available on digital music services.

Gotta assume this is similar to the difficulty in getting the printed insert approved by rights holders, right?

Wulgaren
12-01-2020, 02:44 PM
i assume so

piggy
12-03-2020, 11:36 PM
Looks like the digital version is out there now. Just found it on Amazon and 7digital.

raptors661
12-04-2020, 12:10 AM
Yep, found it on Deezer. It says there it initially had a release date of Jan 1st, 2017...

TheBang
12-04-2020, 06:32 AM
Looks like Qobuz is probably the cheapest for buying lossless files:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/quake-nine-inch-nails/o22fz0kvaz67a

neorev
12-04-2020, 09:28 AM
Looks like Qobuz is probably the cheapest for buying lossless files:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/quake-nine-inch-nails/o22fz0kvaz67a

Besides Bandcamp, Qobuz is my favorite digital store. I've been using their UK store for a little over 5 years. Glad US has a store now. They also have a lossless/hi-res res streaming service.

Leprekon666
12-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Back on streaming.

perterje
12-04-2020, 10:16 AM
This was mentioned in today's communication about Mank, hidden at the end, linking to the following:
https://nin.lnk.to/QuakeOST

botley
12-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Yep, found it on Deezer. It says there it initially had a release date of Jan 1st, 2017...
I bet they screwed up the dates on the metadata, sent it out to the digital distributor, then it auto-published on some sites before it was ready. Today was likely the intended wide release date all along.

mi470
12-04-2020, 10:51 AM
This was mentioned in today's communication about Mank, hidden at the end, linking to the following:

i was about to say the fact that the band hadn't officially mentioned it made me question its authenticity as being officially released, but i'm glad to know it's legit.

Leprekon666
12-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Never even saw that but very hidden lol.

trollmanen
12-18-2020, 11:16 PM
The album is on Tidal and you can purchase the FLAC for $17.99. I don't use Tidal, does anyone know if this is just 16/44 CD quality or if it's Hi-Res?
https://store.tidal.com/us/album/161196484

TheBang
12-19-2020, 01:26 AM
TIDAL is always the most expensive lossless retailer, and they only offer 16/44, so I would never buy from them.

This particular release was only released in 16/44, so that eliminates a couple of 24-bit-only retailers like ProStudioMasters and AcousticSounds. Qobuz is the cheapest, but here are all the options:

16/44 lossless:
Qobuz (https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/quake-nine-inch-nails/o22fz0kvaz67a) - $12.99
7Digital (https://us.7digital.com/artist/nine-inch-nails/release/quake-13612975) - $13.49
TIDAL (https://store.tidal.com/us/album/161196484) - $17.99

MP3/AAC:
Amazon (https://amzn.to/34rds81) - $9.49
iTunes (https://music.apple.com/us/album/quake/1538397591) - $9.99
TIDAL (https://store.tidal.com/us/album/161196484) - $9.99
7Digital (https://us.7digital.com/artist/nine-inch-nails/release/quake-13612975) - $8.99

psus2h
01-29-2021, 12:28 PM
I placed an order for this with a local record store....they forgot to order it for me, its been fun digging around trying to find it at an indie shop (yeah I know I can get it from big box, but I'm a vinyl junkie, I want to support the small shops). Its out of stock at a lot of places, if you have not picked it up yet you might want to grab it soon.

muad'nin
01-29-2021, 12:48 PM
Apologies if this is a silly question, but does anybody know if the digital version available online is remastered audio?

I understand that TSN was never released digitally ‘remastered’ upon its re-release, so I thought I’d ask about this, too.

botley
01-29-2021, 02:56 PM
Apologies if this is a silly question, but does anybody know if the digital version available online is remastered audio?

I understand that TSN was never released digitally ‘remastered’ upon its re-release, so I thought I’d ask about this, too.
Yeah, this new version is remastered for sure.

muad'nin
01-29-2021, 11:38 PM
Yeah, this new version is remastered for sure.

Thank you! :)

jmtd
02-11-2021, 02:45 AM
Official store restocked. UK price still exorbitant. Has anybody found alternative UK stockists?

Leprekon666
02-17-2021, 08:28 AM
Still waiting for Canadian retailers to get this in stock. Have a amazon.ca order for $15 with credits since October. It keeps going temporarily out of stock or unavailable but I know they never got stock at all.

Erneuert
02-17-2021, 05:14 PM

Where was it hidden exactly? In an email?

sonic_discord
02-17-2021, 05:18 PM
Where was it hidden exactly? In an email?

Yes.

Erneuert
02-17-2021, 05:22 PM
Yes.

Can you post a screenshot of how it was displayed? I must’ve deleted it.

p_rez17
02-17-2021, 05:55 PM
https://imgur.com/a/D0p7iS1https://i.imgur.com/mYLx2LW.png

jmtd
02-18-2021, 02:20 AM
Interesting thanks. It’ll be a surprise to nobody, but it’s not in the UK iTunes Store or the UK Amazon MP3 store.

Erneuert
02-18-2021, 10:09 AM
https://imgur.com/a/D0p7iS1https://i.imgur.com/mYLx2LW.png

haha, they really made that stand out...

Conan
02-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Did anyone get the booklet for this printed up? If so who did you use?

sonic_discord
02-19-2021, 03:05 PM

I bought one from some guy in one of the Facebook groups I'm in and I have to say, it turned out extremely well. It's on better paper than the official ones, too.

xfocalinx
03-02-2021, 01:51 AM

looking for one as well!

sonic_discord
03-16-2021, 12:04 AM
NIN’s Ambient, Droning Quake Soundtrack Massages My Brain
(https://kotaku.com/nine-inch-nails-ambient-droning-quake-soundtrack-mass-1846474697)