PDA

View Full Version : Ozark: Netflix TV series

snaapz
09-17-2018, 01:21 PM
This Netflix original deserves discussion. Season 2 was released on Netflix August 31, 2018.

I rarely recommend shows because everyone has their own preference, but this show is very well written and the production is top notch with intelligently and well thought out scenes, camera placement, lighting, and colour saturation based on the scene... which I don't see that often. The cast were born for their roles.

Additionally the soundtracks are very reminiscent of TR/AR scores. Eerie, gloomy, synthetic sounds that resemble the instruments used by TR/AR.

Get through episode 1 and 2 and the show starts revealing itself, I was hooked by ep3.

PLOT

Financial planner Marty Byrde suddenly relocates the family from the Chicago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago) suburb of Naperville (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naperville) to Osage Beach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_Beach,_Missouri), a summer resort community in the Missouri Ozarks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks) after a money laundering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering) scheme goes wrong, and he must make amends to a Mexican drug cartel by setting up a bigger laundering operation in the Ozarks. When the Byrdes arrive in Missouri, they become entangled with local criminals including the Langmores and Snells

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQecPaoN2ZI34A1sSaZDiJadNWWKrz78 SUKT_qSoQ5HgVhf_4i-

http://wojdylosocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Screen-Shot-2017-07-24-at-4.14.52-PM.png

neorev
09-17-2018, 03:14 PM
My girl and I were hooked by episode 1
Amazing show

Kinda reminds me of Breaking Bad, one of those step normal family man steps into the criminal world and watch his life go on a downward spiral sorta thing

Netflix's Bloodline was also like that

bobbie solo
09-18-2018, 12:02 PM
the pilot for this show was pretty damn engrossing. Part. that one part. death scene. Hooked me right away too.

october_midnight
10-10-2018, 10:16 AM
https://twitter.com/batemanjason/status/1050036891687370754

bobbie solo
10-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Season 2 was good. Show is so well acted. But man the intricacies of the plot really do not hold up to scrutiny once you think about them. Moreso this season, especially everything with the baby and with Cade's various small crimes just being ignored.

I love how Marty is such a sociopath.

ickyvicky
01-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Season 3 coming out March 27! Sweet~!

snaapz
01-09-2020, 09:23 AM
I was starting to get worried! S2 ended pretty bitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Season 3 coming out March 27! Sweet~!

ickyvicky
03-29-2020, 11:30 AM
With everything that's going on, I totally forgot Season 3 is out now. I even had it on my Google calendar too, haha. *smh* Anyone started watching it yet - is it good?

Kodiak33
03-29-2020, 12:39 PM
I like it way better than S2, finished it last night.

neorev
03-29-2020, 03:42 PM
On episode 7, and loving yet. Def better than S2, which I did enjoy. But this season has momentum and quite tense throughout. It doesn't let up, keeps things moving. My friend who loves the show and finished S3 said it was the best season. Got 4 episodes to go. Gonna finished it tonight.

Archive_Reports
04-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Only four episodes in, but S3 is amazing. Might be better than the first.

kdrcraig
04-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Finished S3 last night, it was fantastic. The wait for S4 is gonna be loooooooooooong

neorev
04-09-2020, 06:56 PM
THAT. FUCKING. ENDING.

Give me season 4 now

sin
04-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Only recently got into this, after first episode wasn't sure, but binge watching first 4 or so definitely helped. Season 2 was good and ended well. Will season 3 keep it up,need to keep changing to keep it interesting but not be same problems, new situations.

Archive_Reports
04-12-2020, 08:46 PM
God. Damn.

richardp
04-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Just finished season 3, and firstly, best season of the show BY FAR, and secondly, I am DEVASTATED that it's probably going to be 2022 at the earliest before season 4.

I need one more season before I can comfortably say this show has beaten Breaking Bad at it's own game, but fuck man, I am VERY close to it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Is this worth the hype? I keep hearing a lot of polarizing opinions.

neorev
04-15-2020, 12:39 AM

It is a great show. I put it up there with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. It is tense. This third season was amazing.

richardp
04-15-2020, 11:50 AM

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Abso-fucking-lutely.

My sister had the same exact comment. I'm on episode 3 of S1 right now and it's pretty good so far. Seems like a slow burn?

neorev
04-15-2020, 08:36 PM
My sister had the same exact comment. I'm on episode 3 of S1 right now and it's pretty good so far. Seems like a slow burn?

It's one of those shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul where things begin to spiral out of control.

Netflix's Bloodline is another pretty good one.

richardp
04-15-2020, 10:45 PM

It's a slow burn until suddenly it's not. Then every episode feels like you're on the autobahn. The tension gets REEEEAL.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-16-2020, 06:42 AM
Looking forward to the sweats! Bloodline I couldn't get through; I fell alseep every time I tried watching it.

Archive_Reports
04-16-2020, 07:09 AM
Looking forward to the sweats! Bloodline I couldn't get through; I fell alseep every time I tried watching it.

I really enjoyed Bloodline to start off but, by the end of the first season, I had completely checked out.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Ok... I'm 4 episodes in and I cannot stop. You were all right, fam!

neorev
04-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Ozark S3 > Better Call Saul S5

Yea, I said it.
I enjoyed both, but Ozark took the lead by keeping the tension up all season. Also, the direction of this series is great.

neorev
04-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Not bad, not bad

Netflix’s third season of its Jason Bateman-starring crime series Ozark appears to have not only seen the biggest rise in reviews for the series, but also a significant jump in viewership with an average of 8.7 million viewers in the first ten days following its premiere, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The viewership numbers from Nielsen indicates a 74 percent increase over the average audience for the show’s second season, which saw five million viewers over its first 10 days in August 2018, with the research company also revealing 16.4 million people watched at least the first few minutes of the season compared to season 2’s 11 million people.

Nielsen also revealed that the opening day for Ozark was much bigger than the viral hit docuseries Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness, with the former garnering an average of 975,000 viewers while the latter brought in 280,000 on its premiere. The Emmy-winning crime drama also topped the opening-day viewership for the most recent seasons of Mindhunter (395,000) and Orange is the New Black (536,000). Though no word has been revealed on whether the streaming service has greenlit a fourth season for the series, chances appear to be getting better given the larger ratings and reviews from critics, sure to satiate fans left on edge after the third season’s pulse-pounding cliffhanger.
https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1132362-ozark-season-3-garners-large-viewership-boost

elevenism
04-23-2020, 12:12 AM
THank you so much, chuckrh , for turning me on to this one.

He mentioned anticipating the third season, and the wife and i gave the first season a go, and promptly binged all 3.

It IS worth the hype.
I wasn't interested, at first, because it looked like a Breaking Bad ripoff.
And yes, it's a similar premise.
Yet, still, it's fucking amazing.

chuckrh
04-23-2020, 02:55 AM
Season 3 was pretty good. The only qualm I had was the story line about the crazy brother. Ruthie is naughty & sassy! ;)

neorev
04-24-2020, 02:46 AM
Season 3 was pretty good. The only qualm I had was the story line about the crazy brother. Ruthie is naughty & sassy! ;)

As crazy as he was, he was also almost the most sane of them.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Finally finished and I'm up to date. The series separates itself from Breaking Bad and I like that. I also like the similarities, but dam, there are so many unlikable characters in this show. Season 2 was a bit on the boring side at times, but it made sense with what we got in season 3, but honestly I was expecting more with the newest season. I liked Ben's arc up until the very end; it was very anticlimactic, but I respect the hell out of the show for taking that situation and making the family plunge down into an even darker hole. Jonah... Kid needs a fucking win. Charlotte has to be one of the dumbest and most useless characters I have ever seen on a show before.

october_midnight
06-30-2020, 10:53 AM
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1277980210684551171

Kodiak33
06-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Going out on top, love it.

ickyvicky
01-25-2022, 11:16 AM
Rewatching Seasons 1 and 2 because I don't remember shit. :p

Swykk
01-25-2022, 02:48 PM
Not super into this first part of the final season except Jonah hating Wendy, who is the absolute worst. I’ve been waiting for Darlene to die since the beginning of the show and yet it sucks that it came at the hands of such a lazily written character. What is up with the car accident at the beginning of the first episode, by the way?

richardp
01-28-2022, 08:24 AM
Wow the final like twenty minutes of the mid-season finale was so great. I don't think I breathed once during all of that. Can't remember if the girl who plays Ruth has won any awards for this show yet or not, but jesus fucking christ she should get something. Her and Laura Linnie are fucking unbelievably great in this show.

Swykk
01-28-2022, 10:01 AM
Linney is a great actor and great in this. I definitely hate her character (and believe you are supposed to). Julia Garner has in fact won two Emmys for supporting actress as she deserved to.

chuckrh
01-29-2022, 01:28 PM
Just finished episode 7. Intense! Ruthie is going to go ape shit in the final 7. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.

richardp
01-29-2022, 02:21 PM
Just finished episode 7. Intense! Ruthie is going to go ape shit in the final 7. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.

I'm betting either late fall or around Christmas.

ghostaustin
02-06-2022, 06:54 AM
Im so upset right now. I had no idea this was getting split into two parts! I was fully ready to binge the rest after episode 7

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-29-2022, 06:03 PM
Soo, it's back. Cannot wait to see how they tie this all up. This and Better Call Saul being on at the same time will definitely be giving me more grey hairs.

otnavuskire
04-30-2022, 04:32 PM
Just finished the finale. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say I'm satisfied.

ickyvicky
05-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Watched the first two episodes of the 2nd half last night, god I love Ruth.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-02-2022, 12:48 PM
Going to finish the last two episodes today. Kind of fumbling the landing here a bit, but it's still really good.

Edit: That is how it ends? No weight behind most of it and feels more like a season finale than a series finale. I'm floored that Wendy survived any of this; very undeserving. So disappointed...

ickyvicky
05-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Watched episodes 3 and 4 of the second half last night. The fight scene at the traffic stop was hilarious.

otnavuskire
05-03-2022, 04:09 PM
Going to finish the last two episodes today. Kind of fumbling the landing here a bit, but it's still really good.

Edit: That is how it ends? No weight behind most of it and feels more like a season finale than a series finale. I'm floored that Wendy survived any of this; very undeserving. So disappointed...

Yeah, that's one thing that bothered me about the ending. The one person who I felt any reason left to root for died. All the other main characters who have lost pretty much all likeability survived (and seemingly thrived).

Ruined
05-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Speaking generally, I liked that this show let certain people "thrive" despite their acts. This is a dark show and I think it falls in line that the one you root for doesn't always win; it's not a feel-good show. Also, speaking about one person's fate, after what they did, how did they expect to survive by living in the same place when a cartel is involved? In that situation you go on the run or you get a bad end. Would have been silly, IMO, if that person just was allowed to go about living their best life in the same town they've lived their whole life. Also, I wouldn't say the family lived happily ever after: To me, it was a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." The new boss seemed much scarier than the old one.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-03-2022, 06:23 PM
I did like in the moment where Marty and Wendy realized they made the wrong choice after alllllll their last minute decisions; it finally caught up to them. Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

There was definitely some lazy writing here though, and I took Ruth's ending as her knowing she wasn't just going to live a happy life either. When she starts seeing Wyatt and was daydreaming with all of her family that have passed, it seemed as if she wanted that more than anything; the building of what her and Wyatt dreamed of still seemed like a dream while it was happening.

Rachel keeps saying "Let's get out of here, start clean." Ruth would always turn it down even though she is already clean and has everything. When she was pulling up to her home, and sees the SUV parked, I said "Ruth is not this stupid." so that is where it was a bit uneven for me. But since Camila already knows she killed Javi, then she would just be on the run all the time anyway. Dark show, dark ending indeed, just think they could have executed it a bit better.

The whole Mel thing at the end felt tacked on

Oki, I'm done :)

Kodiak33
05-04-2022, 06:51 AM
I did like in the moment where Marty and Wendy realized they made the wrong choice after alllllll their last minute decisions; it finally caught up to them. Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

There was definitely some lazy writing here though, and I took Ruth's ending as her knowing she wasn't just going to live a happy life either. When she starts seeing Wyatt and was daydreaming with all of her family that have passed, it seemed as if she wanted that more than anything; the building of what her and Wyatt dreamed of still seemed like a dream while it was happening.

Rachel keeps saying "Let's get out of here, start clean." Ruth would always turn it down even though she is already clean and has everything. When she was pulling up to her home, and sees the SUV parked, I said "Ruth is not this stupid." so that is where it was a bit uneven for me. But since Camila already knows she killed Javi, then she would just be on the run all the time anyway. Dark show, dark ending indeed, just think they could have executed it a bit better.

The whole Mel thing at the end felt tacked on

Agreed with everything you said.

ickyvicky
05-04-2022, 08:51 AM
Finished it last night. The ending was totally underwhelming.

While we know Ruth wasn't really going to get away from Camilla, I expected her death to be in a more dramatic fashion. This felt like they just needed to wrap this up quickly to make it within the hour time frame. I did appreciate the imagery that Ruth was wearing a white dress and Camilla was in all black.

My husband said one of the Byrdes should've died in the car crash, that would've made more sense/better fit for Jonah to kill Mel at the end - since Jonah was anti-family this whole time.

Swykk
05-04-2022, 09:01 AM
I’m reminded of the backlash Mass Effect 3 got because Shepard died. The game foreshadowed this multiple times yet people were still shocked and angry when it happened.

I don’t know how clearer they could’ve made it in telling you way in advance that Ruth wasn’t getting out alive. Her conversation with Killer Mike. Seeing Wyatt. Her conversations with Rachel, especially when Rachel suggested leaving. It was all there.

As I was telling some other people, I think the biggest weakness of this final season was the writers getting up their own asses about twists and turns when some straighter lines would’ve worked much better. And Mel fucking sucked as a character; just a paper thin stand in to achieve some unnecessary twists. The best stuff in the final season was the interactions between Wendy and Nathan. That was some good soup.

So did Ozark stick the landing? Not really. Was it Lost level bad? Definitely not.

ickyvicky
05-04-2022, 09:43 AM
People wishing Wendy to be dead is giving me the same vibes as people wishing Skyler from Breaking Bad to be dead. That wasn't the story.

One funny thing I read about people's opinion is "all Mel needed was a signature and he would've walked away!" lol

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-04-2022, 11:57 AM
Finished it last night. The ending was totally underwhelming.

While we know Ruth wasn't really going to get away from Camilla, I expected her death to be in a more dramatic fashion. This felt like they just needed to wrap this up quickly to make it within the hour time frame. I did appreciate the imagery that Ruth was wearing a white dress and Camilla was in all black.

My husband said one of the Byrdes should've died in the car crash, that would've made more sense/better fit for Jonah to kill Mel at the end - since Jonah was anti-family this whole time.

Didn't even notice the imagery! Derp..

What bothered me was the gunshot followed by the blackout like we got with Jonah last season. There was so much speculation for who he supposedly shot, and it was pretty well done making the audience think he shot someone walking up to the house or whatever just to find out he only shot the windows out.

I feel they tried doing the same thing (Which was an odd choice regardless) thinking whether Jonah shot the Urn instead of Mel himself. Why would Mel even go there all alone knowing these people are dangerous with the only evidence that Ben was dead? He's supposed to be this great cop, but makes bone head decisions instead.

It felt like two written finales in one. The first half had everyone finally coming down on the Byrdes and was tired of their shit, so I was smirking so hard when everyone was pretty much working against them, and then it was slowly abandoned and everyone went back to the same crap. But I also see that as showing how these people aren't good people (Even Ruth, Rachel, and others) that they secretly love the life.

DVYDRNS
05-04-2022, 02:16 PM
My money is on them making a 2 hour movie after this...

ekrekel
05-10-2022, 05:02 PM
...... Camila is a monster, so the juxtaposition between her and Omar is shocking in the sense that Omar has said he is not a monster when it came to killing children or even threatening them, so to see Camila not even flinch when she threatened Jonah and Charlotte was I think their final realization that they are never getting out. It is also muttered by the characters throughout the entire season, so you pretty much know it ain't going to happen.

I agree, we kept thinking Omar for all his savagery was pretty reasonable and was constantly getting the short end of everything Wendy and Marty would drag him into. Eliminating his lawyer, FBI in the mall, runway arrest, assassination attempt, and ultimately his final scene. Oddly enough out of everyone he's one of the people I feel most sympathetic about.

I didn't like Wendy's brother's storyline, to the point where I don't even remember his character's name. I felt like Wendy could have just taken iPads away from the children and knocked over Ruth's mailbox to generate the necessary dislike for her. I'm sure there's an official title/purpose for a role like his, but I will skip all of his scenes on the second watch.