PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Trains
04-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know if Down In It (Shred) was ever featured on a movie soundtrack or compilation album? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine has a bunch of Nine Inch Nails songs on her MP3 player that she downloaded after hearing them in clubs/on the radio, and the Shred remix is among them... which struck me as kind of odd, because the rest of her songs are the ones you'd expect (Closer, The Perfect Drug, etc). She's convinced that she heard it in a movie or had it on a soundtrack from years ago, but I can't seem to find anything that says it was ever featured on anything.

MasterOfMachines
04-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Here I found this info below. I guess it was released on one of their singles in 89, "Down In It" was their first song ever released as a single.

Also, this single was the first Halo. And "Pretty hate machines" album was Halo 2. I don't think I've ever heard that version. I'll check it out!

Down In It (Shred)

Running Time: 6:51
A mix that appears on both the Down In It and Head Like a Hole singles. It basically retains the original song with an extended intro and a long instrumental area that makes up the entire latter half of the song.

MrLobster
04-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know if Down In It (Shred) was ever featured on a movie soundtrack or compilation album?

I only know it from halos 1&3.

fishtifer
04-24-2019, 07:59 AM
Recently someone posted a link to their cleaned up "+Appendage" transfer from The Fragile cassette and now I can't find what thread that was in. I've been wanted to make sure I have the best quality version out there, please help. Thanks!

Pyract
04-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Recently someone posted a link to their cleaned up "+Appendage" transfer from The Fragile cassette and now I can't find what thread that was in. I've been wanted to make sure I have the best quality version out there, please help. Thanks!

Right here! https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts?p=452887#post452887

fishtifer
04-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Right here! https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts?p=452887#post452887

Ahhh, the Random NIN thoughts page, thanks!!! And this version of +Appendage is wayyy better than mine so thank you!

elevenism
04-27-2019, 03:10 PM
God I love it.

PHM was my favourite NIN release for a long time, and the sheer danceability of tracks like KIWT was one of the reasonsyeah, it's fucking great. Every song on that album is fucking great.

I'd venture to say that the majority of us old timers who discovered NIN before TDS would pretty much agree, too.

sheep, pre internet, (and tds,) I would go to the library and obsessively search for NIN this news archive they had there, on a computer. And, I remember the term "dark dance," and the phrase " dance music that's too slow to dance to" appearing in the handful of local stories that had mentioned nin

It was KINDA like Depeche Mode? Sort of? Idk.

snaapz
05-02-2019, 01:38 PM
OTSs are where you can find the beauty NIN once had; as a result NIN gets the left over anger and chaos.

anouk
05-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Hello, would anyone have an mp3 of the Dissonance tour, please?
Cheers : )

chuckrh
05-04-2019, 06:16 PM
which do you prefer, louder or quieter NIN? obviously we love it all but no fair saying both. for me, as much as i love the loud stuff, the quiet stuff tends to stick to me more.

Magnetic
05-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Sorry for the newbie question; new to the board, not to NIN. I remember back in 2005? a friend put on a live video where the Frail lead into La Mer? I can't seem to find this anywere on youtube. Maybe I was mistaken, but I figured people here would set me right on it.

GibbonBlack
05-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Sorry for the newbie question; new to the board, not to NIN. I remember back in 2005? a friend put on a live video where the Frail lead into La Mer? I can't seem to find this anywere on youtube. Maybe I was mistaken, but I figured people here would set me right on it.

I saw them do that live in Nottingham in 2007. I think it was in March, that sorta time. Check the NiN Live archives

http://ninlive.com/

/edit. My mistake. It was La Mer into Into The Void that I saw
(http://ninlive.com/)

Kulerage
05-04-2019, 11:01 PM
which do you prefer, louder or quieter NIN? obviously we love it all but no fair saying both. for me, as much as i love the loud stuff, the quiet stuff tends to stick to me more.
Quiet. The loudness feels more natural for NIN's chosen instruments, so using said instruments in a quiet manner just feels more intriguing and captivating to me.

BRoswell
05-05-2019, 11:47 AM

I've always been more attracted to the quieter tracks as well. That's why I loved (and still love) Ghosts and the score material that Trent & Atticus have done.

StockAvuryah
05-06-2019, 04:52 AM
I've always been more attracted to the quieter tracks as well. That's why I loved (and still love) Ghosts and the score material that Trent & Atticus have done.

Would be cool to see something like a NPR tiny desk session with NIN, except not in some pretty well lit office but somewhere else, in the building, like.. the garage ? Lol

I want to see them go mad on percussions and synths doing a live rendition of I'm Not From This World (but quieter ya know). That would be really fucking, well, industrial.

Max
05-08-2019, 12:43 PM
I would love to see NIN do a whole tour of just "quiet" tracks. Small and intimate venues. No HLAH or Wish or any of those. Have a grand piano set up, and acoustic guitar, some electronics and pads, and some really cool lights. I would pay so much money to see that.

It would also be cool if he would do another album like Still, with new material and some of the new vocal approaches he has been using the last few years on Bad Witch, AV, Before the Flood, and HTDA.

sheepdean
05-08-2019, 06:43 PM
I would love to see NIN do a whole tour of just "quiet" tracks. Small and intimate venues. No HLAH or Wish or any of those. Have a grand piano set up, and acoustic guitar, some electronics and pads, and some really cool lights. I would pay so much money to see that.

It would also be cool if he would do another album like Still, with new material and some of the new vocal approaches he has been using the last few years on Bad Witch, AV, Before the Flood, and HTDA.
It'd be a chance to air Ghosts and OSTs too, as they'd fit in far better for the audience that would bring

chuckrh
05-10-2019, 05:18 AM
i wonder if Trent is going to be involved with the Cure festival in LA in some capacity. i would be mighty tempted to return to Babylon if that were the case.

Max
05-13-2019, 06:25 AM
How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music? I wore expensive ear plugs to the last show and it was still ringing my bell. I remember the first show I ever went to in 1996 left my ears ringing for days. Do musicians end up with permanent, insanity-inducing tinnitus? How does he continue to deal with so many little nuances and subtleties after 30+ years of deafening volumes? I am sure he protects his ears now, but back in the day did he?

StockAvuryah
05-13-2019, 06:56 AM
How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music? I wore expensive ear plugs to the last show and it was still ringing my bell. I remember the first show I ever went to in 1996 left my ears ringing for days. Do musicians end up with permanent, insanity-inducing tinnitus? How does he continue to deal with so many little nuances and subtleties after 30+ years of deafening volumes? I am sure he protects his ears now, but back in the day did he?

Yes, they do have tinnitus. Swans is loud as fuck, and Michael Gira is close to being deaf, but still makes music. You can fine-tune your equipment to your lost frequeciens, both ears. It is still a gigantic pain in the ass.

People on stage don't always have as many speakers toward them like us, the audience, though. I don't remember how it was with NIN, but unless you see the dared Great Stack of Amps, people on stage have just enough volume to know what they're playing, but most speakers are pointed toward us. Or are they ?

SM Rollinger
05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Maybe I'm biased, but NIN is brutally loud live.

BRoswell
05-13-2019, 09:39 AM

I'm not 100% sure about Trent having hearing issues, but it would make sense if he did, not just from touring but also recording. I think taking large chunks of time off from touring has probably helped though. He's not been one of those musicians that constantly has to tour.

zecho
05-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Like others have said, it's just not as loud on stage. And since he started using IEMs, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

bobbie solo
05-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Yeah they are not getting the full brunt force that we get. Being behind those giants stacks on either side of a stage makes a huge difference.

That being said, NIN shows are by far the most pleasant, least painfully loud "big" shows that I go to. Many times I take my earplugs out for good portions of the show bc everything is attenuated so well, and I'm not just talking about during songs like SICNH. And that's even when I'm pretty close to the stage when I've gotten lucky enough. I think Trent has some of, if not THE, best sound guys in the business, so this doesn't surprise me.

botley
05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Yes, the whole band has been on IEM since 2005, and that makes a big difference to performers' hearing. In the old days, they had those big Meyer biamplified wedge monitors facing them, which while sounding AWESOME definitely wouldn't have been quiet... add that to the lack of in-ear separation from the natural noise of the drumkit and PA out front, and whatever the guitarists' speaker cabinets on stage are doing (usually cranked, hah)... everything on stage would have been significantly louder in the 90s than it is today. The one time I thought the sound at a NIN show out front was even close to painful since then was at the 2014 outdoor show in Toronto (sounded like they were having real trouble getting the PA to cut through the natural reverberation of the venue)... whereas the indoor show here a year before that was some of the best-sounding live mixing at a totally reasonable volume I've ever heard in such a big space.

WorzelG
05-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but NIN is brutally loud live.
really? I’ve never felt they were excessively loud anytime I’ve seen them

Max
05-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Good discussion here.

I have permanent tinnitus that I can hear when it’s quiet and I haven’t come anywhere close to the number of shows that they must have played before using IEM. But who knows, maybe he always protected his ears? I also know a drummer from a rock band who has never protected his ears and he’s almost sixty and seems to be fine. Maybe it varies?

Jon
05-14-2019, 11:03 PM
How does Trent Reznor have any hearing left to be able to make music?

Tin Foil Theory: He doesn't have any hearing left which is the real reason he leaves Atticus to "make sense" of everything in the studio.

I have permanent (as in 24 hours a day) tinnitus in my left ear, and have since I was 28. I've never worn any sort of ear protection to concerts.

I also find Nine Inch Nails to be tame in terms of concert volume. The loudest show I've ever been to was a Bassnectar show, believe it or not. It was uncomfortably loud and bassy; worse than any indoor motor show/race I've attended. Drone/Doom concerts tend to be extremely loud also: Sonic Youth (second loudest concert I've attended), Sunn O))), Boris, Swans, and My Bloody Valentine all stand out.

allegro
05-15-2019, 12:17 AM
^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As botley mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
* Jeff Beck
* Sting
* Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
* Ozzy Osbourne
* Eric Clapton
* Pete Townsend
* Alex Van Halen
* Lars Ulrich
* Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
* Anthony Kiedis
* Danny Elfman
* Moby
* Barbra Streisand
* Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
* Chris Martin
* will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk. (https://www.hear-it.org/classical-musicians-at-extreme-risk-for-hearing-loss)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bL9BhESYA

FRDU
05-15-2019, 04:06 AM
When talking about NIN, do you talk about a band or duo? And before Atticus joined were you talking about the artist Nine Inch Nails or the band Nine Inch Nails. I've always talked about "my favorite band Nine Inch Nails" but technically it should be the artist (now duo).

botley
05-15-2019, 07:42 AM
When talking about NIN, do you talk about a band or duo? And before Atticus joined were you talking about the artist Nine Inch Nails or the band Nine Inch Nails. I've always talked about "my favorite band Nine Inch Nails" but technically it should be the artist (now duo).
It's always been a 'band' for me; even back in the Fragility days it was clear that players like Charlie & Danny, and other studio production team members like Keith Hillebrandt (and especially Alan Moulder) were part of the overall sound, even though TR was always at the center of composition and production process. A duo is still a band, BTW. Trent Reznor is an artist in a band.

klyrish
05-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Yeah they are not getting the full brunt force that we get. Being behind those giants stacks on either side of a stage makes a huge difference.

That being said, NIN shows are by far the most pleasant, least painfully loud "big" shows that I go to. Many times I take my earplugs out for good portions of the show bc everything is attenuated so well, and I'm not just talking about during songs like SICNH. And that's even when I'm pretty close to the stage when I've gotten lucky enough. I think Trent has some of, if not THE, best sound guys in the business, so this doesn't surprise me.
I was shocked at how reasonable the volume was in Vegas last year and ended up leaving my earplugs out the majority of both shows. The mixing was incredible.

Max
05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As @botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
* Jeff Beck
* Sting
* Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
* Ozzy Osbourne
* Eric Clapton
* Pete Townsend
* Alex Van Halen
* Lars Ulrich
* Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
* Anthony Kiedis
* Danny Elfman
* Moby
* Barbra Streisand
* Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
* Chris Martin
* will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk. (https://www.hear-it.org/classical-musicians-at-extreme-risk-for-hearing-loss)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bL9BhESYA

That is really sad to hear bout how many musicians suffer the loss of being able to enjoy what they love. I wonder if Trent has never talked about it because he's fine and doesn't have any loss, or if he doesn't want to admit to it because he's pretty private about things in general. I know this seems like such a tangent conversation, but it really isn't - imagine being into a visual artist and finding out they are partially blind. It's really fundamental to what they are doing and what is possible in the future.

ninlive
05-16-2019, 11:33 AM
I know I will chime in here because I try to advocate for earplugs as much as I can to other people.

I had chronic ear infections as a kid. Leaving me with very sensitive ears. I've always been very aware of protecting them because loud sounds hurt. I have always worn earplugs at shows since I started going to concerts. If I didn't have them, I really became nauseated. I don't listen to my music loud and just overall have tried to keep my ears healthy. Of course I have forgotten them a few times, I went to Carl Craig at a small club in Detroit and the soundguy LOVED to turn up the music to excessive levels. I feel like that really did me in being there for 2 hours. I've had ringing in my ears that are pretty profound since that night. Some nights it's hard to sleep, I'm bummed because I have always tried to take care of my ears. I know that in my near future will mean hearing aids and I am just dreading that day.

I finally got some molded plugs at my audiologist. They really help, especially when I go to my all night DJ parties I still like to attend. The music is stupid clear and my ears don't fatigue or have profound ringing due to damage because the sound is attenuated down to a decent level.

TLDR: I have tinnitus, it sucks. If you go to shows, get some custom plugs. Will change your life.

Max
05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
I know I will chime in here because I try to advocate for earplugs as much as I can to other people.

I had chronic ear infections as a kid. Leaving me with very sensitive ears. I've always been very aware of protecting them because loud sounds hurt. I have always worn earplugs at shows since I started going to concerts. If I didn't have them, I really became nauseated. I don't listen to my music loud and just overall have tried to keep my ears healthy. Of course I have forgotten them a few times, I went to Carl Craig at a small club in Detroit and the soundguy LOVED to turn up the music to excessive levels. I feel like that really did me in being there for 2 hours. I've had ringing in my ears that are pretty profound since that night. Some nights it's hard to sleep, I'm bummed because I have always tried to take care of my ears. I know that in my near future will mean hearing aids and I am just dreading that day.

I finally got some molded plugs at my audiologist. They really help, especially when I go to my all night DJ parties I still like to attend. The music is stupid clear and my ears don't fatigue or have profound ringing due to damage because the sound is attenuated down to a decent level.

TLDR: I have tinnitus, it sucks. If you go to shows, get some custom plugs. Will change your life.

Yeah, this is good advice. It's weird that it's one of those things that doesn't heal or get better. I have it but i haven't played hundreds of screaming loud shows for decades. I just really can't help but wonder what it is like for these guys.

thefragile_jake
05-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Does store.NIN.com ever have any seasonal sales? I really want to pick up that black and white NIN hoodie, but was thinking about getting it in the middle of summer if they generally put it on sale at some point.

eversonpoe
05-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Does store.NIN.com ever have any seasonal sales? I really want to pick up that black and white NIN hoodie, but was thinking about getting it in the middle of summer if they generally put it on sale at some point.

merchbar has a lot of the same stuff and sometimes has sales / coupons (you can also try installing the Honey plugin, even if it doesn't work, it's adorable to see the dancing coin guy haha)

you could also try your discount code if you still have it, i know some people had luck using them more than once.

thefragile_jake
05-16-2019, 10:54 PM
merchbar has a lot of the same stuff and sometimes has sales / coupons (you can also try installing the Honey plugin, even if it doesn't work, it's adorable to see the dancing coin guy haha)

you could also try your discount code if you still have it, i know some people had luck using them more than once.

I think I already used my discount code. :(

But thanks for the update though! I'll check out Merchbar for the hoodie for sure.

sick among the pure
05-20-2019, 08:28 PM
I never used my code, by the time I wanted to buy anything it had "expired", didn't try using it after. Anyone try using it after the "expiration date" and have luck?

sheepdean
05-27-2019, 05:44 AM
I never used my code, by the time I wanted to buy anything it had "expired", didn't try using it after. Anyone try using it after the "expiration date" and have luck?
Mine worked fine, got the Ghosts tee and some other paraphernalia

Beta
05-31-2019, 02:18 PM
I've got a nerdy question: I remember that some years ago, I read an interview with a German guitarist who was auditioning for being a NIN touring member in the early 90s. He (obviously) never made it to becoming a regular touring member of NIN. Does anyone of you remember this guy's name? I know there was some sort of article and/or interview about this somewhere. I read it and it gave more or less detailed information about the auditions and so on. It was interesting.

Hope someone can help me here (either by mentioning this guy's name or linking the article/interview). Thanks!

Beta
05-31-2019, 03:17 PM
I've got a nerdy question: I remember that some years ago, I read an interview with a German guitarist who was auditioning for being a NIN touring member in the early 90s. He (obviously) never made it to becoming a regular touring member of NIN. Does anyone of you remember this guy's name? I know there was some sort of article and/or interview about this somewhere. I read it and it gave more or less detailed information about the auditions and so on. It was interesting.

Hope someone can help me here (either by mentioning this guy's name or linking the article/interview). Thanks!

Finally found it! German version (use google translate): http://www.nin-pages.de/2005_Visions_Juli.htm

StockAvuryah
05-31-2019, 04:17 PM
Hey, anyone remembers the library of drums and distorted samples that T&A used for Year Zero ?

I remember some sort of a mostly white cover with the name of a guy containing "Z" in it, could be wrong, just fragments..

FULLMETAL
06-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Is there a comprehensive TR image archive with photographer credits? This (https://old.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/bwyiq3/nin_fans_of_reddit_a_posterrelated_plea_for_help/) reddit post got me wondering if it would be easier to mockup a design and find a print house that can print 40x60".

It seems like both of the images below were taken during the same photo session (possibly around the MOTP video shoot in 1994?).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a8/c8/40/a8c8409c94b05e223e161970bd55176e.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/7c/4a/b2/7c4ab23dc80a016689a467f87781e12c.png

Jon
06-05-2019, 05:13 PM
It seems like both of the images below were taken during the same photo session (possibly around the MOTP video shoot in 1994?).

Joseph Cultice

His Woodstock stuff is awesome.

https://www.revolvermag.com/sites/default/files/styles/original_image__844px_x_473px_/public/media/images/section-gallery/8-joseph-cultice-113-nin-woodstockv2_etv1.jpg?itok=HzfqnMR_&timestamp=1544201646

neorev
06-30-2019, 12:36 AM
Please tell me the delay for the next batch of remasters albums has both to do with the 2008 fire at Unversal and this stuff is not lost forever. I hope to fuck Trent backed his shit up. Has Trent said anything about the fire?

BenAkenobi
06-30-2019, 01:07 AM
... Has Trent said anything about the fire?

Might as well be this

https://youtu.be/cvyywDE67tY

Pyract
06-30-2019, 01:44 AM
Is there a comprehensive TR image archive with photographer credits?

Just saw this. I have quite a few hi-res photos in the art/photos section of http://www.nindestruct.com. Photographer names are in the file names.

theimage13
07-05-2019, 04:24 AM
I feel like a total non-fan for even having to ask this, but I'm sleep deprived and stressed and having an utter brain fart. What's the song playing for just a couple seconds at the very, very beginning of this?? It's driving me absolutely mad that I can't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5pVah5-3IM

snichols
07-05-2019, 05:15 AM
"Too late, all gone" from Welcome Oblivion.

theimage13
07-05-2019, 07:20 AM
"Too late, all gone" from Welcome Oblivion.

THANK YOU.

I was so stuck on it being a NIN song that I completely forgot to even think about the HTDA catalog. Which is weird considering that I love that album as much as I love anything from the NIN catalog.

ekrekel
07-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Just saw this. I have quite a few hi-res photos in the art/photos section of http://www.nindestruct.com. Photographer names are in the file names.

You do a great job collecting the pictures. Is this the band?

http://www.nindestruct.com/photos/large/nin_cultice_073.png

piggy
07-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Those would appear to be the mud fight that ensued right before taking the stage at Woodstock.

Tyson
07-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Does anyone have the old photos from way back of the source files for some of the With Teeth art? They were some kind of medical scan images that Rob used to create the cover art and several other pieces (like the green art (https://www.nin.wiki/images/9/90/WTInst2.png)). I had them saved at one point, but lost them due to a hard drive death. Searched around the net and ETS, but can't seem to find where the original discussion took place (might have been old ETS). I was wearing a WT shirt the other day, and someone asked me what it was. It dawned on me that I couldn't remember what it was, beyond vaguely remembering it might have been a medical scan of bone marrow or something.

fillow
07-27-2019, 03:50 AM
Does anyone remember when a few years ago some guy posted a photo (not here but it was reposted here as a NIN spotting) of CD-R and said it had a Tapeworm demo on it, given to him by Danny long ago? The song was a cover and he he said he'd ask Danny if it's okay to share the song (apparently it wasn't since we don't have it).
I'm trying to remember which song/cover it was.

Tyson
07-27-2019, 06:42 AM
https://i.redd.it/yyat0jvzv5s01.jpg

theimage13
07-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Is there any sort of limited release NIN stuff I should be on the lookout for in Japan? Probably gonna be doing some shopping in the next few days.

fillow
07-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Is there any sort of limited release NIN stuff I should be on the lookout for in Japan? Probably gonna be doing some shopping in the next few days.
these rare japanese imports:

https://i0.wp.com/xorsyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/bento-nine-inch-nails-1.jpg
https://blog-imgs-32-origin.fc2.com/j/a/k/jakeben/138.jpghttps://blog-imgs-19-origin.fc2.com/j/a/k/jakeben/130.jpg

Erneuert
07-29-2019, 10:00 AM
these rare japanese imports:

https://i0.wp.com/xorsyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/bento-nine-inch-nails-1.jpg
https://blog-imgs-32-origin.fc2.com/j/a/k/jakeben/138.jpghttps://blog-imgs-19-origin.fc2.com/j/a/k/jakeben/130.jpg

Can't see the second one. Lol at the first.

fillow
07-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Shit, there were two more images (The Slip and FDTS), but I guess their traffic limit expired real fast (I hotlinked them directly from the source blog: http://jakeben.blog111.fc2.com (http://jakeben.blog111.fc2.com/) )

BenAkenobi
07-29-2019, 11:56 PM
Shit, there were two more images (The Slip and FDTS), but I guess their traffic limit expired real fast (I hotlinked them directly from the source blog: http://jakeben.blog111.fc2.com (http://jakeben.blog111.fc2.com/) )

In a cursory glance i found edible Broken, Fragile and TSN, too

dedevoce
07-30-2019, 04:02 PM
I'm looking to get a download copy of the official video for Deep and my normal methods of stealing shit isn't working. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

FULLMETAL
07-30-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm looking to get a download copy of the official video for Deep and my normal methods of stealing shit isn't working. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

I just downloaded the 25meg version from YouTube using 4k Video Downloader.

*edit* even better. just push the download button on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/61997007

Detunez
08-17-2019, 08:11 AM
I just downloaded the 25meg version from YouTube using 4k Video Downloader.

*edit* even better. just push the download button on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/61997007

Always nice to see their Vimeo account being mentioned. They have quite a few video's over there with the option to download being active.
At times i wonder how to prove those downloads to be legal. I have quite a bit of music from actual bands that offered legal downloads trough email and temporarily available events.

walking_shade
09-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Anyone buy any of vkgoeswild's NIN sheet music? If so, how much did you pay?

botley
09-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Anyone buy any of vkgoeswild's NIN sheet music? If so, how much did you pay?
I haven't, but I bought her last album on Pledge before it went belly-up. Reasonably priced and great sounding music! Give her a shot. There's also Know the Score (https://www.theninhotline.com/knowthescore/) for digital versions of some tracks.

Bachy
09-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Does Trent say “cunt” at the very end of the AATCHB version of “The Wretched”?

spahn
09-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Does Trent say “cunt” at the very end of the AATCHB version of “The Wretched”?

Yes.

BenAkenobi
09-24-2019, 12:18 PM
And what does he mean by saying that?

bobbie solo
09-24-2019, 04:36 PM
He was trying out what it felt like to be Australian.

katara
09-28-2019, 06:32 PM
I was browsing a reputable record shop today (one of the few remaining) and discovered a copy of NIN & David Bowie: Back In Anger (https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-with-David-Bowie-Back-In-Anger/release/8162576). It claims the source is from a 'live FM radio broadcast'. Discogs lists it as 'unofficial'.

They also had another one called Under Pressure (https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-with-David-Bowie-Under-Pressure/release/12549430), which cuts out almost the entirety of NIN's set.

Are these repackaged bootlegs, or are they properly remastered soundboard recordings?

BRoswell
09-28-2019, 07:54 PM
I was browsing a reputable record shop today (one of the few remaining) and discovered a copy of NIN & David Bowie: Back In Anger (https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-with-David-Bowie-Back-In-Anger/release/8162576). It claims the source is from a 'live FM radio broadcast'. Discogs lists it as 'unofficial'.

They also had another one called Under Pressure (https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-with-David-Bowie-Under-Pressure/release/12549430), which cuts out almost the entirety of NIN's set.

Are these repackaged bootlegs, or are they properly remastered soundboard recordings?

Yeah, they're all bootlegs. I'm pretty sure there's never been an official release of those recordings.

sick among the pure
09-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Bootlegs. Even FYE sells them.

katara
09-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Thanks. I guess I now know to steer clear of them. Weird that they're showing up in high street stores.

TheBang
10-02-2019, 08:58 PM

All those retail bootlegs are just copies of this mono soundboard recording:

http://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

StockAvuryah
10-03-2019, 06:58 AM
All those retail bootlegs are just copies of this mono soundboard recording:

http://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

why tf are they appearing on some streaming services as official releases though

fillow
10-03-2019, 09:14 AM
why tf are they appearing on some streaming services as official releases though
Because bootleggers learned how to imitate official releases better? This looks a bit more real than the 90s silver CDs
https://www.discogs.com/label/777136-Sonic-Boom-5
https://www.discogs.com/label/996124-Zip-City

botley
10-04-2019, 04:52 PM
As I understand it, there is a loophole in European Union copyright laws whereby live performances that were broadcast to the public enter the public domain under certain conditions. I don't really understand the finer points of it, but that allows labels without any affiliation or approval of the artists to release these concerts themselves. So, while NIN and Bowie's estate make no money whatsoever from these releases -- other than a mechanical song performance fee? Again, not sure of the finer points here -- they are technically not illegal (in some markets, anyhow) to sell.

BenAkenobi
10-05-2019, 04:31 AM
Legality aside, anyone made a comparison on the overall quality of those releases to help make decision in "worth buying?" sense? Some people here pick up every version in the market, after all...

TheBang
10-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Legality aside, anyone made a comparison on the overall quality of those releases to help make decision in "worth buying?" sense? Some people here pick up every version in the market, after all...
They are all sourced from that soundboard recording linked earlier, so there is no "better" quality to be found on them. Just download the original for free from ninlive.com. Don't buy the bootlegs, unless you're interested in the physical product itself for some reason.

BenAkenobi
10-06-2019, 01:39 AM
You can reiterate "don't buy" over and over, we know all this and i don't plan to buy anytime soon... Should have clarified. Maybe in a sense of "diamond among coal". You know, how there are sometimes bootlegs that have just the right amount of presentation and capture the moment in history unlike official release? For example, D. Bowie and his "Live in Santa Monica '72" that the label ignored for many years but finally adopted for a legit release.

ninlive
10-13-2019, 10:06 AM
They are all sourced from that soundboard recording linked earlier, so there is no "better" quality to be found on them. Just download the original for free from ninlive.com. Don't buy the bootlegs, unless you're interested in the physical product itself for some reason.

It's safe to say that some of those older bootlegs (the pressed CDs) aren't even from the DAT master. That wasn't shared until 2009, I believe.

snaapz
10-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Why don't more bands, like NIN, record their shows and make them available for purchase/download.

Or better yet print download codes onto the tickets and concert goers can download a free copy of the show they attended. Added value!

I mean, how hard is it for the sound techs to hit record. Save as flac/mp3. Zip. Upload to NIN.COM/LIVE.

Pearl Jam does it!

https://pearljam.com/shop/music/bootlegs (https://pearljam.com/shop/music/bootlegs)

BRoswell
10-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Why don't more bands, like NIN, record their shows and make them available for purchase/download.

I believe Trent has mentioned in the past that he wants to control the quality of live releases, and that some performances just haven't been up to snuff for various reasons (technical issues, band fatigue, etc). I'm sure that's why he's had open taping policies in the past, because then it's entirely in the hands of the fans, and no money has to be exchanged, so no one can feel ripped off if a performance doesn't 100% meet their expectations.

TheBang
10-17-2019, 12:17 AM
I imagine for NIN, part of the obstacle for doing it on the scale of Pearl Jam is the song rights being split across Bicycle Music, Universal, and Null Corp.

Another issue might be the fact that for some tours, the setlists are identical or near-identical from show to show. It's not like Pearl Jam where every single show is different.

Erneuert
10-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Remember a while ago kraw said that the artwork for the trilogy would all make sense once they all came out or something like that?

I’m really curious to know what those scratch marks that appear on all three EPs are meant to represent, if anything.

pcpunk
10-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Maybe someone changed his mind again.

butter_hole
11-08-2019, 12:42 AM
Does Trent really own (or used to own) the Strawberry Fields Forever mellotron? Or was it just the same type of mellotron the Beatles used? And what song was it used on?

eversonpoe
11-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Does Trent really own (or used to own) the Strawberry Fields Forever mellotron? Or was it just the same type of mellotron the Beatles used? And what song was it used on?

according to ninwiki:

On this EP, there are louder mixes and more distortion on every instrument, including a classic Mellotron MKIV (originally owned by John Lennon), which can be heard most noticeably on the track "Gave Up".

also according to ninwiki, a mellotron was used on the downward spiral and the fragile, as well as (if memory serves) pretty extensively on antichrist superstar. couldn't tell you exactly which songs on TDS or the fragile without listening through again, but i know it's in there.

ryanmcfly
11-08-2019, 09:40 AM
I believe Trent has mentioned in the past that he wants to control the quality of live releases,

A perfect way to control the quality of live releases is by filming a bunch of shows and sitting on the footage!

zecho
11-08-2019, 06:40 PM

It was owned by Ted Field (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/nine-inch-nails-the-pleasure-of-pain-2-172188/), but Jimmy Iovine (https://www.soundonsound.com/people/classic-tracks-nine-inch-nails-closer) got him to loan it to Trent for a few years.

Jon
11-08-2019, 08:16 PM

The M400 was not released until 1970, so while it may have been owned by John Lennon, it was not used on any recordings for The Beatles. The "Strawberry Fields" mellotron is a MKII.

also according to ninwiki, a mellotron was used on the downward spiral and the fragile, as well as (if memory serves) pretty extensively on antichrist superstar. couldn't tell you exactly which songs on TDS or the fragile without listening through again, but i know it's in there.

The mellotron is the flute sound on "The Downward Spiral", and it can be heard during the bridge of "The Fragile".

Volband
11-17-2019, 04:49 AM
Why aren't the definitive editions on Spotify?

opal
11-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Agree. Don't understand why TR wouldn't want to make this available to everyone (expect downloads from wherever).

Also, Deviations.

eversonpoe
11-17-2019, 09:28 AM

as far as i remember, the digital versions were only available to those who purchased the vinyl, similar to deviations.

Rubeninphoenix
11-22-2019, 03:08 AM
Did Ghosts get pulled from Spotify?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

zecho
11-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Yep.

nmitchell86
11-23-2019, 09:40 PM

To keep them exclusive/ special. I'm only guessing here.

botley
11-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Spotify sounds like fucking shit.

nmitchell86
11-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Are the DEs on any digital service?

Speaking of digital services, and totally random here, I got an email from Sirius XM saying next weekend is free (for those that have it in your car but are not currently subscribed.)

eversonpoe
11-24-2019, 11:53 AM

it's 100% fine for background music or listening in the car. but if i want to actively listen to music? yeah, no, not using spotify.

allegate
11-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Are the DEs on any digital service?

Speaking of digital services, and totally random here, I got an email from Sirius XM saying next weekend is free (for those that have it in your car but are not currently subscribed.)

Side note: the built-in Sirius for cars is pretty snazzy and I can't find one like that for install aftermarket. is there a reason for that? Or do I suck at searching?

botley
11-24-2019, 11:58 PM
The M400 was not released until 1970, so while it may have been owned by John Lennon, it was not used on any recordings for The Beatles. The "Strawberry Fields" mellotron is a MKII.

The mellotron is the flute sound on "The Downward Spiral", and it can be heard during the bridge of "The Fragile".
You can also hear the Mellotron strings setting at the conclusion of "You Know What You Are?" (mixed in along with a bunch of other keyboard sounds). If memory serves, they also used some of the Mellotron for Dragon Tattoo and perhaps other score stuff. I have a vague recollection of it popping up on Welcome oblivion as well, or was that Hesitation Marks? Anyway, it's got a fairly recognizable wobbly sound on account of using old fluttery tape loops to produce notes.

Jon
11-25-2019, 12:37 PM
You can also hear the Mellotron strings setting at the conclusion of "You Know What You Are?" (mixed in along with a bunch of other keyboard sounds). If memory serves, they also used some of the Mellotron for Dragon Tattoo and perhaps other score stuff. I have a vague recollection of it popping up on Welcome oblivion as well, or was that Hesitation Marks? Anyway, it's got a fairly recognizable wobbly sound on account of using old fluttery tape loops to produce notes.

You're right about HM or WO, I forgot about that one. Looks like I'll be taking a break from the last few months of amazing new releases and listening for wonky sounds!

I didn't know about the mellotron in "YKWYA?" until this new remaster. Like you pointed out, it's mixed in there with other keyboard sounds.

FULLMETAL
11-25-2019, 04:42 PM
Which FLACs purchased from NIN.com have embedded lyrics?

I know the DE of WT has them, as well as the normal releases for NTAE/AV/BW. What about the other DE releases?

Volband
11-28-2019, 05:39 AM
To keep them exclusive/ special. I'm only guessing here.
It's pretty lame to keep your music exclusive like this for money's sake. Pointless to get into an argument about it, because there are many go to excuses to defend this ("he put his time and soul into those editions!! don't be so cheap!!"; "he's not the same person who told us to steal it, get over it", etc), but at the end of the day it's gating your music for money grab's sake. I can't nod to that in this day and age, when you have sooo many ways to live off by your whales. Even just the vinyls themselves are hot commodities.

As for Spotify, I'm sure it's more than decent for 99% of its audience. But there are other music streaming platforms as well. Release it as an exclusive somewhere then, like on Apple. It'd be still annoying as fuck, but mostly because of how these "friendly" streaming services slowly turned into these abominations, where we are pretty much back at the start as in we rather pirate their shit, than subscribe to 6 different services.

Kujy
11-28-2019, 06:29 PM

Looks like it's back up.

Detunez
11-28-2019, 06:58 PM
What is the relation between the Broken and Fixed albums ?

BRoswell
11-28-2019, 07:07 PM
What is the relation between the Broken and Fixed albums ?

Fixed is the remix album for Broken.

nmitchell86
11-28-2019, 10:23 PM
It's pretty lame to keep your music exclusive like this for money's sake. Pointless to get into an argument about it, because there are many go to excuses to defend this ("he put his time and soul into those editions!! don't be so cheap!!"; "he's not the same person who told us to steal it, get over it", etc), but at the end of the day it's gating your music for money grab's sake. I can't nod to that in this day and age, when you have sooo many ways to live off by your whales. Even just the vinyls themselves are hot commodities.

As for Spotify, I'm sure it's more than decent for 99% of its audience. But there are other music streaming platforms as well. Release it as an exclusive somewhere then, like on Apple. It'd be still annoying as fuck, but mostly because of how these "friendly" streaming services slowly turned into these abominations, where we are pretty much back at the start as in we rather pirate their shit, than subscribe to 6 different services.

I hear you. I'm not defending or endorsing, just answering what I think was the reasoning.

Volband
11-29-2019, 06:34 AM
I hear you. I'm not defending or endorsing, just answering what I think was the reasoning.
For sure, didn't meant it for you, sorry :D

nmitchell86
11-29-2019, 07:45 AM
For sure, didn't meant it for you, sorry :D

I did't take what you wrote as negative towards me, I was just making sure you knew that I was indiffrent. We're all good, no apologies needed.

tap3worm
11-30-2019, 04:27 AM

Mellotron is also used here and there for the piano sound, such as the piano motif in Closer and Every Day is Exactly The Same. It has that kinda flickery attack to it that's pretty recognisable. You can grab a Mellotron emulator like G-Force's M-Tron plugin and they have all that jazz in there.

botley
11-30-2019, 07:32 AM
I don't know if those are true Mellotrons or just warbly synth pianos, but yeah... that's sort of the wobbliness I was referring to.

Jon
12-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Reanswering this question and one of my own: did Trent have access to more than one "Beatles" mellotron? Gear lists and interviews seem to only mention the MKIV (M400), but this seems oddly specific:

5. John Lennon's Mellotron makes an appearance on the record.

While much of Broken was recorded with state-of-the-art keyboards, there was one instrument on there that literally harkened back to the original age of psychedelia: a Mellotron previously owned by John Lennon. Loaned to Reznor by film producer and Interscope co-founder Ted Field, the instrument — a polyphonic tape replay keyboard that often used by psychedelic and progressive bands to simulate orchestral sounds — lent some decidedly otherworldly tones and textures to Broken, especially on "Gave Up". "That [same Mellotron] is what you hear being played at the start of 'Strawberry Fields Forever,'" engineer Sean Beavan, who worked on Broken, told Sound on Sound in 2012. "It still had the Beatles' tape loops in there." Reznor, for his part, reveled in the irony of employing an instrument that had appeared on the "White Album," the same 1968 Beatles LP that had inspired Charles Manson to order his followers to commit the Cielo Drive murders. "We've got John Lennon and Charles Manson in here," he remarked to Rolling Stone in 1993. "Cool."

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/8-things-you-didnt-know-about-nine-inch-nails-broken

buckaroo
12-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Is there an audio rip of the Ahead of Ourselves video floating around anywhere?

GavinCollins420
12-05-2019, 07:40 AM
Can anyone enlighten me to the source of this GIF? I've used it in messenger chats with friends for quite some time but have no idea where it's from.

Also, as far as I can tell, he's saying "What's happening?" and I'd like to know if I'm right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191205/917761fca846c3f242ad4e6e35fc8919.gif

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

tony.parente
12-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Can anyone enlighten me to the source of this GIF? I've used it in messenger chats with friends for quite some time but have no idea where it's from.

Also, as far as I can tell, he's saying "What's happening?" and I'd like to know if I'm right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191205/917761fca846c3f242ad4e6e35fc8919.gif

I'm not 100% certain but I think it had something to do with either Josh Homme and/or QOTSA - It could even have been something to do with Mantra. That probably doesn't help much though.

cdm
12-05-2019, 08:59 AM

It's from Our Hobby Is Depeche Mode: https://vimeo.com/362265825
Dial up approx 33:20

He says "See what happens?" (I recently stumbled upon this myself not long ago after not knowing the source for years)

GavinCollins420
12-05-2019, 09:53 AM
It's from Our Hobby Is Depeche Mode: https://vimeo.com/362265825
Dial up approx 32:30

He says "See what happens?" (I recently stumbled upon this myself not long ago after not knowing the source for years)Thanks for enlightening me on where the GIF came from, and also letting me know that this documentary existed!

tony.parente
12-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Haha aaannndd I was wrong.

GavinCollins420
12-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Haha aaannndd I was wrong.Thanks anyway I guess.

;)

piggy
12-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Guys, I could swear to god I remember reading something many years ago about the drums on "The Fragile" (the song) being recorded with broken glass either sitting on top of the drum skin or inside the bass drum. Does anyone else remember that? And if so, where does that bit of info come from?

Jon
12-17-2019, 04:18 AM
Guys, I could swear to god I remember reading something many years ago about the drums on "The Fragile" (the song) being recorded with broken glass either sitting on top of the drum skin or inside the bass drum. Does anyone else remember that? And if so, where does that bit of info come from?

It was a critic's description of the drum sound from this 1999 Sputnik Music review:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/3727/Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Fragile/

Also, in regards to the confusion: Trent and Charlie Clouser have both admitted to sampling various objects, such as rebar or glass bottles, and using them as accents for/with other instruments. The objects are also sampled in numerous environments to give a wide range of acoustics.

fillow
12-17-2019, 06:35 AM
I'm pretty sure there was an interview/article with someone involved with the album (Alan Moulder maybe?) that went into such details, but I failed to find it. Definitely not thinking of Charlie's forum posts, it was something else.

Nini
12-18-2019, 12:52 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xsXpCBpIO/?igshid=1h4lrt4yxa7al

can anyone tell me the name of the song in the second and third video??

Jon
12-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Is there an audio rip of the Ahead of Ourselves video floating around anywhere?

21 days later...

I went ahead and captured the (best) audio streams for "Ahead of Ourselves" and "Metal". Both are available as either m4a (128 kbps @ 48 kHz) or ogg (160 kbps @ 48 kHz; encapsulated in .webm):

https://mega.nz/#F!Sq4X3ART!JmhsO1troel7u7S6glfgzA

laststepdown
12-24-2019, 01:20 AM
It was a critic's description of the drum sound from this 1999 Sputnik Music review:

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/3727/Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Fragile/

Also, in regards to the confusion: Trent and Charlie Clouser have both admitted to sampling various objects, such as rebar or glass bottles, and using them as accents for/with other instruments. The objects are also sampled in numerous environments to give a wide range of acoustics.

Jerome Dillon did have a tamborine on either the snare or the floor tom at the MTV music awards performance, pretty sure.

buckaroo
12-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Has there been any mention of releasing any of the live audio from the last few tours? I remember a while back that there was a rumor of some sort of multi-show box having been completed. Was there anything mentioned in any interviews?

tap3worm
01-03-2020, 05:24 AM
What's the deal with the 'A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails' playlist on the Trent Reznor youtube channel? Stuff like 'Haemoglobin Disorder'. I can't find any info on it.

botley
01-03-2020, 03:41 PM
What's the deal with the 'A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails' playlist on the Trent Reznor youtube channel? Stuff like 'Haemoglobin Disorder'. I can't find any info on it.

Nothing to do with Trent Reznor... it's an automated playlist, created by an algorithm, from an album by that name credited to "The Insurgency" and uploaded to streaming services, that for some reason also contains a 27-minute interview track by Trent Reznor and therefore is tagged with his name for the whole thing, somehow. Because YouTube is a fucking mess?

tap3worm
01-04-2020, 01:12 AM
Nothing to do with Trent Reznor... it's an automated playlist, created by an algorithm, from an album by that name credited to "The Insurgency" and uploaded to streaming services, that for some reason also contains a 27-minute interview track by Trent Reznor and therefore is tagged with his name for the whole thing, somehow. Because YouTube is a fucking mess?

Ah yeah, not surprised. I knew it wasn't NiN, but honestly had no idea what it was. Youtube is indeed a shitfest.

GavinCollins420
01-06-2020, 04:47 AM
Does anybody have a YouTube link or something similar to a good quality video of The Great Destroyer live with the Happiness In Slavery breakdown mixed in? Think that happened at shows in 2007 or 2008, but I might be off.

Can't seem to find any.

zeegrizzle
01-06-2020, 05:45 AM
Does anybody have a YouTube link or something similar to a good quality video of The Great Destroyer live with the Happiness In Slavery breakdown mixed in? Think that happened at shows in 2007 or 2008, but I might be off.

Can't seem to find any.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk https://youtu.be/qP4PMSyYUaA

r_k_f
01-10-2020, 11:48 AM
FYI, besides the Bologna show above, they used the Happiness In Slavery breakdown in Hawaii and the Sydney Australia show in 07. Kinda crappy videos out there though

TheBang
01-10-2020, 12:47 PM
FYI, besides the Bologna show above, they used the Happiness In Slavery breakdown in Hawaii and the Sydney Australia show in 07. Kinda crappy videos out there though
They did it in pretty much all of the shows of the last leg of the tour.

r_k_f
01-10-2020, 01:42 PM
I wasn't aware.. Thanks.

fillow
01-10-2020, 02:17 PM
They definitely didn't play HIS breakdown when I saw them in Russia. But this was only a second show of summer tour (and only a second performance of TGD) so it was likely added sometime later.

SM Rollinger
01-10-2020, 03:10 PM
I never thought I would get to hear both The Great Destroyer AND Happiness in Slavery played at the SAME show, but damnit I did! (Aragon Night 2)

Jon
01-10-2020, 03:39 PM
They definitely didn't play HIS breakdown when I saw them in Russia. But was only a second show of summer tour (and only a second performance of TGD) so it was likely added sometime later.

ninwiki (https://www.nin.wiki/The_Great_Destroyer) needs a correction...

The first audio evidence we have is August 26, 2007 @ Reading Festival. "The Great Destroyer" was played on 8/24, but no recording exists/has been made public. There is no mention of whether or not the "Happiness In Slavery" breakdown was included.

fillow
01-10-2020, 04:18 PM
ninwiki (https://www.nin.wiki/The_Great_Destroyer) needs a correction...

The first audio evidence we have is August 26, 2007 @ Reading Festival. "The Great Destroyer" was played on 8/24, but no recording exists/has been made public. There is no mention of whether or not the "Happiness In Slavery" breakdown was included.
Here's an earlier one from Edinburgh (08/21), sample included. - http://ninlive.com/shows/2007/20070821.html
Too lazy to check earlier recordings from ninlive.

Jon
01-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Here's an earlier one from Edinburgh (08/21), sample included. - http://ninlive.com/shows/2007/20070821.html
Too lazy to check earlier recordings from ninlive.

I (audibly) checked starting from August 1; I missed that 8/21 iteration because it was the 2nd track played as opposed to the 11th/12th.

brotha52
01-12-2020, 01:26 AM
I'm going through my collection and found a few oddities I'm looking for info on.
1. Pretty Hate Machine 5.1 DVD. Has static lyric pages for each track.
2. The Slip 5.1 DVD. Has animated graphics for each track.
3. The Fragile DTS Upmix CD

Erneuert
01-13-2020, 06:36 AM
Who is the woman (or women?) who appear in the alternate video for ITV?

https://youtu.be/Gi7ANtwllJ8

botley
01-13-2020, 09:52 AM
^ I believe that's Denise Milfort and Kim Prevost, who also appear on The Fragile... not 100% sure about this, but the extreme close-up on Denise's face at 1:35 is pretty clear and Kim also sang on the recording of "Into the Void", so it's pretty likely to be her as well, at least in the far-off shots where the band is playing (with seven people visible).

snaapz
01-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Do we know what TR is currently working on? Soul if I had to guess? Whats the duration for scoring a film anyways?

Just wonder what is on his plate at the moment, and what is scheduled.

ryanmcfly
01-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Do we know what TR is currently working on? Soul if I had to guess? Whats the duration for scoring a film anyways?

Definitely Soul. And it depends. I believe they could be working on the music up to about a month or so before release.

fillow
01-13-2020, 12:07 PM
Something tells me that Soul should be in final stages of completion by now, considering July premiere. Maybe started Mank already? And of course there's always something else that TR didn't tell us about yet.

snichols
01-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Hopefully they are working on the first release of another trilogy that will continue to push the envelope, followed by a North American club tour that kicks off at my birthday party in November. ;)

Erneuert
01-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Hopefully they are working on the first release of another trilogy that will continue to push the envelope, followed by a North American club tour that kicks off at my birthday party in November. ;)

And a debut live performance The Idea Of You to kick our balls out of our heads.

Max
01-14-2020, 09:29 AM

They apparently had a lot of overlapping projects this past year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take some time off here soon. Everyone needs downtime, especially with that many kids!

StockAvuryah
01-14-2020, 09:58 AM

they >supposedly< cancelled primavera this summer to work on mank so, maybe they aren't on that yet

snaapz
01-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Thanks all - I agree with the downtime; they seem to have been on a roll the past few years and it is amazing when I look back at the soundtracks they wrote/produced in addition to managing NIN and what ever is left of his involvement with Apple, I cannot imagine how demanding that all must be.

I mean seriously, over 70 tracks released in 2019!!!!!!!!!! I get some tracks are quick and simple, but many tracks are complex and well thought out.

Anyhow, I'm eager to see what 2020 looks like.

fillow
01-14-2020, 03:49 PM
What's the font(s) used in Add Violence or C+B+I art?

Jon
01-15-2020, 01:10 PM
What's the font(s) used in Add Violence or C+B+I art?

Looks like Inter Regular / Inter Bold / or a variation of them:

https://github.com/rsms/inter

becomingtom
01-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Is there somewhere online to read the Revolver interview?

Max
01-17-2020, 03:04 PM
I bought not only this issue but an entire year subscription digitally (Kindle app) for only $12 via Amazon. Not bad.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZHHA6A/ref=docs-os-doi_0

TheBang
01-17-2020, 03:05 PM
Posted a couple times in NIN Spotting:
https://imgur.com/gallery/1jLQPZw

StockAvuryah
01-18-2020, 03:41 PM
https://youtu.be/qP4PMSyYUaA

Fuck that's cool, the possibilities of the second part of TGD to be a place for remixes of other material is insane now that I think of it.

buckaroo
01-19-2020, 09:26 PM
I have received two links recently related to rumblings of With Teeth promos / demos being discussed online (no downloads, just fake-ish looking pictures).. Anyone know what the deal is with these?

MrLobster
01-19-2020, 09:28 PM
I have received two links recently related to rumblings of With Teeth promos / demos being discussed online (no downloads, just fake-ish looking pictures).. Anyone know what the deal is with these?

Check out "The Auction Thread", they seem to be discussing it there.

Youknowwhoyouare?
01-21-2020, 10:25 AM
Does someone has any info on this torrent file? its called nine inch nails - the unknown trail (outtakes from with teeth) https://indiatpb.net/torrent/3630891/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Unknown_Trail_(Outtakes_from_With_Teeth)

TheBang
01-22-2020, 05:00 AM
Does someone has any info on this torrent file? its called nine inch nails - the unknown trail (outtakes from with teeth) https://indiatpb.net/torrent/3630891/Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Unknown_Trail_(Outtakes_from_With_Teeth)
Seems like all the info you need is in the comments you linked. Fake.

snaapz
02-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Does TR say "Cunt" at the end of 'The Wretched' on the live album? If so, is there a reason? Unruly fan? Directed towards god?

Sandy Phimester
02-10-2020, 02:23 AM
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114 067616860

was this ever an official shirt? I’ve always wanted that fixed shirt (the blue tie dye) - but this is pretty badass

tony.parente
02-10-2020, 04:43 PM
Weird question, there's a bootleg out there of a live show where they're playing get down make love and right after the lyrics
"Everytime I get a
Get down get down get down
Make love

There's the pause and trent's all
"....yeah?"

And then play again.

I wanna say it's an outdoor venue, possibly a verizon wireless amp and it was MAYBE in 2005?

Anyone know what show or what i'm talkin about?

ryanmcfly
02-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Weird question, there's a bootleg out there of a live show where they're playing get down make love and right after the lyrics
"Everytime I get a
Get down get down get down
Make love

There's the pause and trent's all
"....yeah?"

And then play again.

I wanna say it's an outdoor venue, possibly a verizon wireless amp and it was MAYBE in 2005?

Anyone know what show or what i'm talkin about?

2006 Virginia Beach. It's on the soundboard recording of that.

http://ninlive.com/shows/2006/20060611.html

ninlive
02-27-2020, 04:00 PM
I know I usually don't get down with demos and other things of NIN's releases besides albums/live recordings. But does anyone have any more info on this? https://imgur.com/a/e6GvjQO

I assume everyone has seen this about the With_Teeth demos and that eBay listing that was a bit different than this (I am sorry if there is already a thread on it, I couldn't find it). I know Rob said he made a few discs for people. But does anyone know about these other demos? Just curious. I would love to listen to them.

mfte
02-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Anyone remember an interview with Trent from around the WT era (i think)? Apparently he was responding to Lou Barlow talking shit about him and in response he said something to the effect of "I guess being irrelevant makes your grouchy". I cannot seem to find it.

Qualis_Dolor
03-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Hey there, can anybody confirm that this bandcamp download (https://beforethefloodsoundtrack.bandcamp.com/album/before-the-flood-music-from-the-motion-picture) of Before The Flood OST is official? Or what interests me more is the audio quality - 16bit/44.1khz or 24bit/48khz...?

Erneuert
03-01-2020, 08:53 PM
I know I usually don't get down with demos and other things of NIN's releases besides albums/live recordings. But does anyone have any more info on this? https://imgur.com/a/e6GvjQO

I assume everyone has seen this about the With_Teeth demos and that eBay listing that was a bit different than this (I am sorry if there is already a thread on it, I couldn't find it). I know Rob said he made a few discs for people. But does anyone know about these other demos? Just curious. I would love to listen to them.

Whoa, wait a minute. This needs more discussion in a couple of other threads! Someone was asking about the whole Dave Grohl thing being listed on “The Idea of You” from NTAE. So it WAS an unreleased track from the WT era originally called “Cover It Up”.

Will bump ninwiki thread...

StockAvuryah
03-02-2020, 04:45 AM
Whoa, wait a minute. This needs more discussion in a couple of other threads! Someone was asking about the whole Dave Grohl thing being listed on “The Idea of You” from NTAE. So it WAS an unreleased track from the WT era originally called “Cover It Up”.

Will bump ninwiki thread...

Shit nice, the line between past and present really blurs

tricil
03-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Hey there, can anybody confirm that this bandcamp download (https://beforethefloodsoundtrack.bandcamp.com/album/before-the-flood-music-from-the-motion-picture) of Before The Flood OST is official? Or what interests me more is the audio quality - 16bit/44.1khz or 24bit/48khz...?

Definitely official. Unsure of the sample rate, but I’d bet it’s the full 24/48.

TheBang
03-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Here's the thread where we had the discussion about it:

https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/211-The-Auction-Thread-Ebay-Discogs-etc?p=480802#post480802

The takeaways are, probably real because Rob Sheridan commented as much, and no one knows what exactly is on it besides what the guy said, because apparently he hasn't shared it.

pizzalovingnerd
03-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Is it me, or does With Teeth's "All the Love in the World" remind you for stereotypical Egyptian music. Not sure why.

BRoswell
03-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Is it me, or does With Teeth's "All the Love in the World" remind you for stereotypical Egyptian music. Not sure why.

I think I need an example of stereotypical Egyptian music before I can make that comparison. :p

pizzalovingnerd
03-21-2020, 04:39 PM
This is the part (1:03) that reminds me of Egyptian music

https://youtu.be/dJhJ7YdojdU?t=63

And here is some stereotypical Egyptian music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_y8ITF2EpY

tap3worm
03-21-2020, 07:02 PM
I got that feeling more from a lot of songs on The Fragile. Stuff like Even Deeper and Pilgrimage, I guess Trent just had some Eastern influences at the time, it was already seeping into other electronic acts.

bRoot
03-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Would Trent ever partake in this -> https://www.masterclass.com/

I would hope so considering he has branched out the whole industrial scene and merged with the post electric wave etc I'd just think it'd be neat.

For someone who built his own first album all by himself I'd take that in to consider him a master so yeah.

pizzalovingnerd
03-23-2020, 01:05 PM

I would hope so considering he has branched out the whole industrial scene and merged with the post electric wave etc I'd just think it'd be neat.

For someone who built his own first album all by himself I'd take that in to consider him a master so yeah.

I would love that, too bad Masterclass is so expensive. It's like $90 per class.

sheepdean
03-27-2020, 08:47 AM

Atticus did a Mix with the Masters, it's incredibly expensive someone please pirate it for me

StockAvuryah
03-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Atticus did a Mix with the Masters, it's incredibly expensive someone please pirate it for me

No one posted it, and one guy on /r/nin could share it, but doesn't want to, because for him it's not useful to the common people.

elevenism
03-30-2020, 12:17 PM
So i've been trying to figure this out for a hot minute, and i give up.

WHAT part of Reptile interpolates WHAT part of Laura's Theme, from Twin Peaks?

i don't hear it. :/

fillow
03-30-2020, 12:22 PM

"please... don't... hurt.. me" - that part

edit: just realized these vocals are only in live version but not on the album

Tony
03-30-2020, 01:53 PM
Does TR say "Cunt" at the end of 'The Wretched' on the live album? If so, is there a reason? Unruly fan? Directed towards god?
He does. Years ago I read somewhere that it was because there may have been some frustration during that specific performance due to on-stage audio issues. I don't remember where I read that and I can't say it with certainty but it wouldn't be surprising to me.

eversonpoe
03-30-2020, 05:40 PM

you can hear the ascending piano line (the sparse whole notes) at the point fillow described

sheepdean
03-30-2020, 06:06 PM
No one posted it, and one guy on /r/nin could share it, but doesn't want to, because for him it's not useful to the common people.
Wanna jump him?

elevenism
03-31-2020, 06:34 AM
you can hear the ascending piano line (the sparse whole notes) at the point @fillow (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=348) described

well that's fucking awesome.

i appreciate it. i'd honestly been thinking about it every other day, for weeks.

sheepdean
04-01-2020, 02:51 PM
I asked this on one of the FB groups, but

Is Ghosts one album, two albums, three albums or six albums?

eversonpoe
04-01-2020, 03:18 PM
I asked this on one of the FB groups, but

Is Ghosts one album, two albums, three albums or six albums?

three albums; six volumes

i-iv is the first four volumes, in one album
v + vi are each their own volume + album

Erneuert
04-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Is it still up for purchase? I’m sure we could throw together a quick ETS drive thing and come up with a combined amount to get it out there.

sheepdean
04-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Is it still up for purchase? I’m sure we could throw together a quick ETS drive thing and come up with a combined amount to get it out there.
Membership to the service is ~$320 per annum, so if someone actually wanted access to the whole thing I'm sure it's even worth it. But otherwise, 32 people doing a tenner?
https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt16

pcpunk
04-02-2020, 11:07 AM
I’d be down.

WorzelG
04-02-2020, 11:59 AM
Membership to the service is ~$320 per annum, so if someone actually wanted access to the whole thing I'm sure it's even worth it. But otherwise, 32 people doing a tenner?
https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt16
I’d be down for a tenner - however I guess it would have to be shared ‘secretly’, say behind the donations wall?

Erneuert
04-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Me too.

edit: should we make a thread about it?

sheepdean
04-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Me too.

edit: should we make a thread about it?
Make the thread!

Erneuert
04-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Make the thread!

Ok. https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/5837-Mix-With-The-Masters-ETS-Drive?p=489526#post489526

Detunez
04-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Is there a video or stream which was used as a source for this gif ?
https://i.imgur.com/Vv5188p.gif

Edit:
I came across the answer while browsing the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQpZHCJjj0w

ekrekel
04-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Is there a video or stream which was used as a source for this gif ?
https://i.imgur.com/Vv5188p.gif

"Trent leaves the chat"

tony.parente
04-09-2020, 06:02 PM
Does an affordable ($50ish) year zero vinyl bootleg exist? Tired of it not existing in an affordable way.

shagg_187
04-10-2020, 08:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-Sahfy7Hg

Why are Mabon Hodges (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenie_Hodges) and Al Green (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Green) credited as writers for Head Like A Hole?

https://i.imgur.com/fD0JcaIl.png

BRoswell
04-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Because YouTube's algorithm for finding copyrighted material is fucked up.

botley
04-10-2020, 08:44 AM
A mash-up of "Head Like a Hole" and "Take Me to the River" would be pretty excellent tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBUgdhxe9M

eversonpoe
04-10-2020, 10:26 AM
A mash-up of "Head Like a Hole" and "Take Me to the River" would be pretty excellent tho.

"take me to the hole"
"head like a river"
"take me to the head" (of the class) ;)

shagg_187
04-10-2020, 11:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBUgdhxe9M

"take me to the hole"
"head like a river"
"take me to the head" (of the class) ;)
Dude. Why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcD4tNU9H4k

(Thank you).

botley
04-10-2020, 10:47 PM
I love this fucking place.

dlb
04-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have this picture in a better resolution?

https://i.imgur.com/9KBmuu3.jpg

It's been hanging on one of my walls for some time now as I have that same smilodon skull placed underneath it, but I thought it could use a little update. Mainly because the colors have faded massively, so why not try it with a better resolution of said pic? Thanks in advance!

BRoswell
04-13-2020, 09:20 PM
I would like to know as well. For...reasons.

davemuzik85
04-16-2020, 10:59 PM
weird random question:
back around the time of "year-zero" era; trent posted an a playlist of songs that he liked; there was this one artist (whose name i cannot name i cannot remember for the life of me) that he said was heavily inspirational to him during the making of the fragile; I remember saying that this guy was "the real-deal"
The artist was very obscure- i had never heard of him before but I can remember checking out the playlist he posted and his songs are very piano heavy/melodic sounding and a few of titles of the songs having the word "love" in the them; I believe his name was Thomas something???
For whatever reason( prob bc Ghost V reminds of the way the his music sounds) I was trying to think of who it was to give his music a listen to again but couldnt remember his name
Anyone remember who it was or do I sound completely crazy??

WorzelG
04-17-2020, 08:51 AM
weird random question:
back around the time of "year-zero" era; trent posted an a playlist of songs that he liked; there was this one artist (whose name i cannot name i cannot remember for the life of me) that he said was heavily inspirational to him during the making of the fragile; I remember saying that this guy was "the real-deal"
The artist was very obscure- i had never heard of him before but I can remember checking out the playlist he posted and his songs are very piano heavy/melodic sounding and a few of titles of the songs having the word "love" in the them; I believe his name was Thomas something???
For whatever reason( prob bc Ghost V reminds of the way the his music sounds) I was trying to think of who it was to give his music a listen to again but couldnt remember his name
Anyone remember who it was or do I sound completely crazy??
Was it The Magnetic Fields? 69 Love Songs?

theimage13
04-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Regardless of whether that's who they're thinking of (And that'd be Stephin Merritt - no Thomas here), I highly recommend that trilogy (and The Magnetic Fields in general). Trent did mention them at one point, but I don't know if that was all the way back in The Fragile era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6hEcJM4WY

Magnetic
04-17-2020, 10:12 AM
Stephin Merritt = awesome. One of my fav song writers.

SchwarzerAbt
04-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Stephin Merritt = awesome. One of my fav song writers.

Yes, Trent certainly is a fan:

In a January 2011 issue of Entertainment Weekly Trent Reznor introduced "69 Love Songs" as some of the music he was listening to at that time:
"It really is a work of genius in terms of songwriting. I admire Stephin Merrit's ability to hop from genre to genre; the lyrics are endearing; and there's just an incredible amount of talent on display, in an almost irritating way."

And he made a special playlist on blip.fm:

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "California Girls":
A track from their latest record, Distortion.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "I Don't Believe You":
From their record "I". All songs start with the letter I.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "Strange Powers":
This playlist is dedicated to The Magnetic Fields. Stephin Merritt is one of our generation's greatest songwriters. These are some of my faves.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "I Wish I Had An Evil Twin":
The lyrics, the melodies, the humor and the heartbreak - Merritt is the real deal. If you haven't heard this stuff - open your mind and dig in.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "I Don't Want to Get Over You":
I discovered The Magnetic Fields around 2000 and have listened to these records non-stop since then. If you are not familiar and interested... (cont)

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "I Don't Believe in the Sun":
... try starting with "Holiday", then dive into the opus: "69 Love Songs". There are more ideas on that record alone than most bands' entire careers.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side":
I know I'm going on, but these records have really meant that much to me. I hope this resonates with some of you.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "The Trouble I've Been Looking for":
If you get hooked on "69 Love Songs", check out "I" next.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "Swinging London":
Every one of these have specific fond memories attached.

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "The Book of Love":
Hope you enjoyed. If you did, please support by buying! Next time will be the complete opposite of this. Noise / dance playlist. Thanks, TR

In April 2009 Trent Reznor blipped the song "I Don't Really Love You Any More":
OK, one last request I forgot!

Magnetic
04-17-2020, 04:43 PM
This makes me so happy. Thanks for sharing that. The Magnetic Fields created, much like NIN, music that helped me get through times....

zecho
04-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Stephin complained back in 2012 that every time he tries to buy a new synth, he can't because Reznor got the last one. That always makes me laugh.

davemuzik85
04-17-2020, 10:15 PM
yesyesyessss , thank you so much! this has been bothering me for a while. great music
i was def way off with the 'thomas' hint but u guys nailed it.

Tom
04-18-2020, 02:06 AM
I'd like to see that "Noise / dance playlist".

SchwarzerAbt
04-18-2020, 04:25 AM
I'd like to see that "Noise / dance playlist".

Unfortunately Trent abandoned Blip.fm (and most of social media) right after creating this playlist. One more 'soon' that never came to be. :(

He had shared some songs earlier though. You can find all of it here: https://blip.fm/trent_reznor

katara
04-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Anyone know which Russell Mills artwork was used for thninchnails' heresy single? I'm looking for it in high quality.

I've been through his website a couple of times and cannot find it. Is it in Cargo In The Blood?

For those who have no idea what I'm on about, here's a low-quality version (from Watchmen 3).

https://i.ibb.co/nmF6KYt/thninchnails-heresy.jpg

piggy
04-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Anyone know which Russell Mills artwork was used for thninchnails' heresy single? I'm looking for it in high quality.

I've been through his website a couple of times and cannot find it. Is it in Cargo In The Blood?

For those who have no idea what I'm on about, here's a low-quality version (from Watchmen 3).

https://i.ibb.co/nmF6KYt/thninchnails-heresy.jpg
It's part of the same painting that was used for tape 1 of Closure, but I've never found an image of that painting on its own.

katara
04-19-2020, 04:38 AM
It's part of the same painting that was used for tape 1 of Closure, but I've never found an image of that painting on its own.
I knew I recognised it from somewhere. Haven't taken my VHS out for years. Thanks.

SchwarzerAbt
04-19-2020, 03:25 PM
It literally always makes me smile that Trent Reznor is the person who introduced me to Grizzly Bear.

Actually TR introduced me to a fair amount of my favourite artists. Including, but not limited to The Magnetic Fields, Soft Cell, David Bowie, HEALTH, Joy Division, Gary Numan and The Dresden Dolls. That's quite a varied selection stylewise and I love it.

Although I couldn't get into Grizzly Bear it's always worth checking out stuff he recommend. Some time ago I created a list in order to keep track/ remember stuff. You can find it here: https://www.listal.com/list/trent-reznor-man-his

An overhaul of the list is loong overdue. I've been way too busy in the last years. :(

piggy
04-19-2020, 06:09 PM
My god, if I made a list of all the music that I've gotten into or admired more sincerely with TR's help...

allegate
04-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Actually TR introduced me to a fair amount of my favourite artists. Including, but not limited to The Magnetic Fields, Soft Cell, David Bowie, HEALTH, Joy Division, Gary Numan and The Dresden Dolls. That's quite a varied selection stylewise and I love it.

Although I couldn't get into Grizzly Bear it's always worth checking out stuff he recommend. Some time ago I created a list in order to keep track/ remember stuff. You can find it here: https://www.listal.com/list/trent-reznor-man-his

An overhaul of the list is loong overdue. I've been way too busy in the last years. :(huh, I wonder if that's why I have Veckatimest in my iTunes folder. I remember seeing it a couple years ago and not remembering why I had it. Listened to it and was blown away but the album but still didn't have a clue why or how I got it. I mean it had zero plays but had been in my library for a very long time, seven years probably.

fillow
04-20-2020, 04:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1eB4ttg.png

Does anyone know WTF is this photo? It's a screenshot from Vessel @ one of the LITS shows

eversonpoe
04-21-2020, 12:08 PM
^^^ it looks like twiggy, but i'm not sure who the other two people are.

NIN06
04-21-2020, 05:41 PM
This is a random ass fuckin question but, Im a young harcore nin fan who loves collecting vhs and nin stuff, does anybody have a broken movie transfer on their computer thats from an actual vhs copy. I want to see what the dub on dubs on dubs copy of broken would look like.

katara
04-22-2020, 04:52 AM
https://i.imgur.com/1eB4ttg.png

Does anyone know WTF is this photo? It's a screenshot from Vessel @ one of the LITS shows

^^^ it looks like twiggy, but i'm not sure who the other two people are.
If that's Jeordie White, the girl to his left could very well be Jessicka Addams. She had a similar fringe at one point or another.
Kinda fucked up if that's the case.

fillow
04-22-2020, 05:25 AM
I thought it was a one-time thing, but then I checked a few surrounding dates and the same photo was there in the same place. Try Lollapalooza and Virgin Fest videos at some point after 4:20 into the song, if anyone's interested in some detective work.

upd: It's also in the clips from the end of the tour (e.g. Sacramento), so frame-by-frame search of The Gift/AVOTT should reveal better quality image, if the camera angle is right.

xfocalinx
04-23-2020, 11:28 PM
Due to the lack of concerts in my life at the moment I decided to watch beside you in time.. while reading about it on ninwiki, its stated theres a year Zero ARG clue in the booklet of the bluray, i cannot find it for the life of me, can anyone help me out?

eversonpoe
04-24-2020, 12:53 AM
Due to the lack of concerts in my life at the moment I decided to watch beside you in time.. while reading about it on ninwiki, its stated theres a year Zero ARG clue in the booklet of the bluray, i cannot find it for the life of me, can anyone help me out?

it's on one of the inside panels of the outer sleeve, you can see it through the case. can't remember exactly what it is (looks like a code in some lines) but someone managed to figure it out at some point.

eversonpoe
04-24-2020, 12:48 PM
From NINwiki: “On February 27th, Beside You In Time (https://www.nin.wiki/Beside_You_In_Time_(halo)) was released, and a new website was found through images in the booklet, Solutions Backwards Initiative (https://www.nin.wiki/Solutions_Backwards_Initiative), which also lead to Secure Broadcast Informatics (https://www.nin.wiki/Secure_Broadcast_Informatics).”

I didn’t have the DVD until years later and no longer have it, so I don’t personally recall where it was found. Though I think the spine had something to do with it? Or the area near the barcode/halo number? It was something fairly obvious for people who were looking.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. Here you go...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/byitcover/IMAGE_001.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/byitcover/IMAGE_002.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/byitcover/IMAGE_003.jpg

it's actually not on the DVD sleeve, it's only on the blu-ray!

Erneuert
04-25-2020, 11:07 PM
Has Tront ever said in any interviews the reason why he chose to incorporate that particular line from “In The Hills, The Cities”
by Clive Barker into the song Sin?

katara
04-26-2020, 11:12 AM
What's the general consensus on the best version of The Downward Spiral? There are three official versions of the album now. 1994, 2004 remaster, and the 2017 'definitive' edition.

MrLobster
04-26-2020, 11:17 AM
What's the general consensus on the best version of The Downward Spiral? There are three official versions of the album now. 1994, 2004 remaster, and the 2017 'definitive' edition.

I very much like the 2017 DE (WAVs)...

katara
04-26-2020, 04:48 PM
I'm looking for high quality versions of the imagery used in Closure, particularly on the tapes. Does this even exist?

Shot in the dark: did the Closure DVD have more artwork than just the front cover?

piggy
04-26-2020, 06:43 PM
I'm looking for high quality versions of the imagery used in Closure, particularly on the tapes. Does this even exist?

Shot in the dark: did the Closure DVD have more artwork than just the front cover?
Same. I'd like to have bigger images to put on the wiki.

zecho
04-26-2020, 07:04 PM

Overall I like the 2017 version the best, but it's so compressed that there are some songs that really suffer for it. I Do Not Want This is the worst example.

katara
04-28-2020, 04:48 AM

Same. I'd like to have bigger images to put on the wiki.
I found one of the pieces on Russell Mills' website: https://russellmills.com/russell_mills/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Untitled-1994-cropped.jpg

eversonpoe
04-28-2020, 02:00 PM
I found one of the pieces on Russell Mills' website: https://russellmills.com/russell_mills/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Untitled-1994-cropped.jpg

oh wow i forgot about that piece. i'd kill for a print of that.

katara
04-28-2020, 06:29 PM
oh wow i forgot about that piece. i'd kill for a print of that.
There are a few limited prints on his website (not of that one) but at £300 each, they are quite expensive. You could always try sending him a direct message there if you're prepared to fork over a ton of dough. Might be worth a shot.

eversonpoe
04-29-2020, 10:12 AM
There are a few limited prints on his website (not of that one) but at £300 each, they are quite expensive. You could always try sending him a direct message there if you're prepared to fork over a ton of dough. Might be worth a shot.

sadly i am not prepared to fork over that kind of money. the idea of prints being so expensive has always been strange to me. the original piece? sure, sell it for a fuck ton, you deserve it. but a print? that's like a musician asking someone to pay £300 for a copy of their album on vinyl. the same amount of time and effort likely went into making the music as it did making the piece of art. the way visual art is commodified vs. music is just baffling.

katara
04-30-2020, 03:19 AM
Heresy (version) contains a sample from a short documentary on religion called 'Television Believers'. However, the longer sample of a preacher ("In Jesus name, put your hand on the book and demand the devil to get out of your life, to get of your home..." etc) isn't in there at all. Does anyone know where it's from?

fillow
04-30-2020, 04:54 AM
Heresy (version) contains a sample from a short documentary on religion called 'Television Believers'. However, the longer sample of a preacher ("In Jesus name, put your hand on the book and demand the devil to get out of your life, to get of your home..." etc) isn't in there at all. Does anyone know where it's from?
Easiest way to find out is to ask Charlie Clouser directly. Either on gearslutz forum or reddit.

katara
05-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Can anyone confirm that the version of Reptilian on the Japanese edition of Further Down The Spiral is the same as the one on Halo 7? There's been some confusion about this in the past.

dlb
05-14-2020, 09:51 AM
So, who owns a copy of this and a scanner? It's from 2005.

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5504/93857791.247/0_1a3544_f9687588_orig.png

Erneuert
05-14-2020, 10:06 AM
Can anyone confirm that the version of Reptilian on the Japanese edition of Further Down The Spiral is the same as the one on Halo 7? There's been some confusion about this in the past.

What confusion has there been?

theimage13
05-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Throwing this here to get more eyes: there was a pretty old interview with Rob where he was talking about AATCHB - how they filmed in, what cameras they were using, etc. Any idea where on earth that video might be? I don't know if it was for a TV special, a trade publication, a magazine, or what.

katara
05-14-2020, 01:08 PM

What confusion has there been?
There were some users claiming that the version on FDTS was a completely different mix.

allegro
05-14-2020, 02:39 PM
So, who owns a copy of this and a scanner? It's from 2005.

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5504/93857791.247/0_1a3544_f9687588_orig.png

It was done for you in 2005

https://www.theninhotline.com/news/permalink/1118900684

(admittedly, not a very good job, LOL, but it was 2005)