Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I miss Peter Boyle.
    Young Frankenstein.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- Swedish version

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    It's a Portlandia kind of night for me. Love this show.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Dexter season 1 again. Can't get over how much I still adore the pilot.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Switched gears from Portlandia to No Reservations (with Josh Homme)

I want to say that there should be more shows like this, but nobody could ever pull this shit off as well as Tony.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    I want to say that there should be more shows like this, but nobody could ever pull this shit off as well as Tony.
    I like all his shows, but my favorite was The Layover. I hope he does something like that again someday. Parts Unknown is a continuation of No Reservations, so it would be nice to have a new Layover to go along with it, as well.

Just saw Under the Skin. If you like creepy, artsy, brooding, somewhat Lynchian cinema, then you'll dig this. Visually great, intriguing ideas, and Scarlett Johansson gives a cold, interesting performance. I liked it, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like it, then hey, at least you get to see ScarJo naked.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Watching Under the Skin. It's 1AM and I wont lie, the intro music has me all heebie jeeby already.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I like all his shows, but my favorite was The Layover. I hope he does something like that again someday. Parts Unknown is a continuation of No Reservations, so it would be nice to have a new Layover to go along with it, as well.
    Parts Unknown is like a PG-rated No Reservations; It's mostly about food and travel, instead of food and travel and crazy shit.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Watching tons of Stargate SG-1 and just finished with the first season. Nine more to go.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    There's a show that just kept getting better as time went on, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I forgot to DVR the AMC show Turn. It seems that their website and my cable doesn't save past episodes very long. Annoying.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I watched It's A Disaster on Netflix over the weekend. I had heard some bad things about it so I was expecting the worst but I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. It wasn't hilarious by any stretch but it made me laugh a few times, amusing, kept my interest all the way through. David Cross was great, as usual.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    David Cross was great, as usual.
    Gonna check this out, i LOVE me some David Cross. I just showed my girl the "don't stick your dick in these holes" segment with jack black from Mr Show the other night.

So. The Lego Movie was unexpectedly fucking GREAT.
    It looked so incredible, and was also insanely cynically funny.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Oh, hell. Do you just happen to like dexter and true blood, or are you actually obsessed with blood?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh, hell. Do you just happen to like dexter and true blood, or are you actually obsessed with blood?
    ...You merely adopted the blood. I was born in. Molded by it.

LOL for bad reworkings of Bane's TDKR Darkness speech.

I just like the shows. It just happens to strike oddly as I'm watching them side by side right now. Weeds and Mad Men are next on my viewing list haha.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I just like the shows. It just happens to strike oddly as I'm watching them side by side right now. Weeds and Mad Men are next on my viewing list haha.
    lolz i feel you.
    Dexter was fucking AMAZING. I'm wondering how long i have to wait before i can handle doing it all again.
    Dexter and Lost are the two best shows i've seen in a long, long time. Buffy was my previous favorite and will always have a place in my heart, but good god, Dexter and Lost.

My mom was watching it at the same time i was and we went out of town. She said "i can't wait to get back home to the roku box. I wonder what dexter has been up to."

I was going to make fun of her until it hit me that i kind of wondered what he had been up to myself.
    Now THAT is a powerful character.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Finally saw this last night. Great film, though the ending was pretty bittersweet given recent developments.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Total Recall(remake): Its alright. However, almost everything about it is less entertaining and fun than the original. The future cities look nice, though. Props to the art team.

Most remakes I've seen, if I liked the original film, seems somewhat pointless to me, even if they are done well. What they should remake is OK, mediocre, or bad movies that have potential. Remake Johnny Mnemonic, which has some great ideas, but had 90s-SciFi-channel-level direction and production values. Sphere: a decent movie, but make it more like the Micheal Crichton book. Troy: give it the epic direction this legend deserves, and don't downplay the Greek gods element. The Purge: interesting premise, but the movie fell apart toward the end.

Soldier, The Last Airbender, Green Lantern...I'm sure there are many examples. Remake films that would benefit from being remade.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 07-04-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Total Recall(remake): Its alright. However, almost everything about it is less entertaining and fun than the original. The future cities look nice, though. Props to the art team.

Most remakes I've seen, if I liked the original film, seems somewhat pointless to me, even if they are done well. What they should remake is OK, mediocre, or bad movies that have potential. Remake Johnny Mnemonic, which has some great ideas, but had 90s-SciFi-channel-level direction and production values. Sphere: a decent movie, but make it more like the Micheal Crichton book. Troy: give it the epic direction this legend deserves, and don't downplay the Greek gods element. The Purge: interesting premise, but the movie fell apart toward the end.

Soldier, The Last Airbender, Green Lantern...I'm sure there are many examples. Remake films that would benefit from being remade.
    The problem with re-makes is if the story was already good, people who liked the original hold it closely and critique everything that's done different with it, no matter how good the source is, as long as it isn't too dated. That's what they're used to, so changing it gets them all riled up. But if you remake an OLD movie, even if you change hardly anything, and just modernize it a tiny bit, people eat that shit up. A good example of the former, obviously, is Total Recall, they did it (almost) the exact same, with updated CGI and SFX. A good example of the latter is Oceans 11. It was amazing when it came out, and they waited long enough before remaking it that even though it was basically the same movie, it had a whole new identity for itself. IMO Star Trek: Into Darkness was the best remake in years. Not technically a remake, but essentially a re-write of The Wrath of Kahn. Same basic plot, but it unfolded differently and told a new story while still retaining the integrity of the original story and characters it was based on, as well as (obviously) modern CGI and SFX to keep us immersed in the film while we watch it, instead of having us distracted by obvious make-up or FX in the original.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    The remake of True Grit was better than the original with John Wayne. It was truer to the original story and much better acted by the kid.

Sopranos, season 1, episode 1. I'm way behind and have a lot of time on my hands.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Sailor Moon Crystal. *squeeeeeeeeee*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Skins, the UK version. which i conclude is the greatest teen show of all time. beautiful and the music is amazing.

its not normally my type of thing, and i expected to hate this, but watched this show Skins recently and it surprised me how good it was. Season 2 (the really dark season) stands out by far. i like the anorexic girl Cassie and the psycho Sketches and the Gay character Maxxie the most... expected it to be full of slutty. druggy, repugnant teens, but i like every character, its not about hedonism really, its extremely funny, intelligent, ..well filmed and also touching and very emotional at points too.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Sons of Anarchy!

Finally got around to it. We just finished season 1 and can't wait for season 2.

And i watched The Lego Movie the other day. Instant top 20 of all time status.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing Snowpiercer. Loved it. It lived up to my high expectations, which is great enough, but it also made my jaw drop (hard) about halfway through -- how many movies can you say have done that? I really have to see some of Bong Joon Ho's other work now.

Chris Evans, leading a great cast, brings it harder than ever in this. Probably the best I've ever seen him. Tilda Swinton is of course amazing: she actually reminded me of James Callis in BSG in that she effortlessly found the comedy in her character's villainy. Great stuff. Again, though, the whole cast is great (*cough* Alison Pill *cough*).

It's wildly creative and keeps surprising you narratively and visually. It deftly navigates between the heaviness of the plot and some of the humorous idiosyncrasies of the actors & characters. If it's fair to put it in the category of this year's summer blockbusters, I'd definitely put it up there with Edge of Tomorrow.

See it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. Dog lovers need not apply.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Just got back from seeing Snowpiercer. Loved it. It lived up to my high expectations, which is great enough, but it also made my jaw drop (hard) about halfway through -- how many movies can you say have done that? I really have to see some of Bong Joon Ho's other work now.

Chris Evans, leading a great cast, brings it harder than ever in this. Probably the best I've ever seen him. Tilda Swinton is of course amazing: she actually reminded me of James Callis in BSG in that she effortlessly found the comedy in her character's villainy. Great stuff. Again, though, the whole cast is great (*cough* Alison Pill *cough*).

It's wildly creative and keeps surprising you narratively and visually. It deftly navigates between the heaviness of the plot and some of the humorous idiosyncrasies of the actors & characters. If it's fair to put it in the category of this year's summer blockbusters, I'd definitely put it up there with Edge of Tomorrow.

See it!
    I saw it last night. It was fucking great. here's my full-review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2014/07/snowpiercer.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    thanks to someone I follow on Tumblr I've seen so many gif of this programme that I broke down and watched the first episode. Turns out it was very good.. Will watch the next couple of episodes soon:
    In The Flesh

Essentially: What if there were zombies (sigh) but they could be cured (hmm?) and then had to reintegrate into society (interesting!). Aside from a few duff 'jokes' that fell flat as they jarred with the tone of the show (it 'is' BBC3.. but hey) the majority of the first episode was obviously low budget but well shot and acted. I recommend giving it a go, especially if you like zombies. I don't like zombies, but hey..