Page 34 of 94 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 2818

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And the Ravens did what they should have done months ago: they terminated Ray Rice's contract.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Guess I'll be dropping him from my fantasy team. Truth be told, I drafted him by mistake.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I guess the prosecutor saw this footage already, and did nothing. How disgusting.

I'm really happy that the Ravens did the correct thing. If Goodell or anyone close to him saw this, he should resign immediately.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Goodell just announced almost immediately that not only is he released, he's suspended indefinitely. To ever play in the NFL again, he'll have to full on re-apply. Good luck on any team ever touching you. I get the feeling this won't be like Vick, etc. He's done...nobody's going to want to touch him anymore.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Goodell just announced almost immediately that not only is he released, he's suspended indefinitely. To ever play in the NFL again, he'll have to full on re-apply. Good luck on any team ever touching you. I get the feeling this won't be like Vick, etc. He's done...nobody's going to want to touch him anymore.
    Eh, maybe the team in Canada who took Chad Johnson will take em. Montreal I think.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    CFL is honoring his ban as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I am very glad that Rice got cut and that he's out of the league likely forever. His actions were inexcusable, plain and simple. It really makes me glad to root for a guy like Calvin Johnson who has all the talent in the world, and manages to not murder people, carry unlicensed guns, make bomb threats in airports, and doesn't beat on women.

The Lions looked great tonight and managed to close out strong. I think they've got a real shot this year (and I feel less delusional saying that this year than every other year). Bold prediction: 13-3, Season ends against Seattle in the NFC Championship game.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I find Ray Rice's actions despicable and glad they finally made a punishment that fit the crime, but I think it's a bit naïve to say that he'll never be picked up by a team. I say the suspension will last one, maybe two seasons at max, and he'll be reinstated and sign with a team. Like the Vick situation, it's awful and there's no reason either of them should be in the league, but the NFL lets time deal with everything and unfortunately that's what we'll see here. Vick was out for nearly two seasons (since he was in jail, mostly), but was reinstated so close after his release date. Also, since no charges were pressed, it makes it even more difficult to imagine him being out forever. Ray Rice will do some counseling with his wife, do some bullshit press conference where he apologizes and cries and probably doesn't mean it, reapply to the NFL and will be reinstated after some time. If it were up to me, he'd never play another down, but Gooddell is such a piece of shit that he'll bring him back, unless he resigns as commissioner, which he should, and we'll go on with the "new" rules of spousal abuse that the NFL has mandated with six games for the first offense and lifetime for second.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    On a sidenote, the NCAA is just as bad as the NFL trying to let this Penn State bowl ban lift fly under the radar. I can almost guarantee that the NCAA waited for a huge story to pop up so they could pass this bullshit in to the sports world. Makes no goddamn sense why they'd do it right now, rather than at the beginning of the season or the end of the season. This has been one of the darkest days the sport of football has ever seen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah Ray Rice is a piece of shit for what he did and no offense to his now wife but she isn't a smart one either (sounds mean but I don't intend it to), but you are right Kid I could see him being out for the rest of the season and being allowed to return sometime next season or the one following. He won't be out of the league forever the league has a long history of giving second chances. What he did was despicable but what was also despicable was the response from the system and NFL (initially).

As for Penn State I always believed they deserved the death penalty, harsh but it could have sent a message to the school and others. SMU had it for something far less shitty than this in the overall scheme of things. Death Penalty isn't forever btw it's happened several times before. They should have kept the bowl ban and scholarship ban for the 4 years at least or like you said announce this shit at the end of the season but the NCAA found the perfect day to sneak that in... Hope they sent Ray Rice a thank you card.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Ray's wife made a statement. She is blaming the media for this whole situation. She is in complete denial.
    Or she just realized that the money won't be pouring in anymore and she's pissed off.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,5216376.story

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It is so upsetting when people are blaming this VICTIM for staying because of "money". I mean, read like any article about abuse - how hard it is to escape, it's a continuing cycle, etc, etc, etc.

Also - http://kotaku.com/report-ea-will-rem...-15-1632420692

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's sad at the lack of empathy and misunderstanding about abuse. Glad that piece of shit is out of the NFL. How he's not in jail is beyond me.

My fantasy team shit the bed week 1. Awesome.

2 weeks until hockey training camp starts...I'm just excited for my favorite sport to be back, even though there's that huge black cloud hanging over the Sharks right now. At least they are throwing their first ever fan fest in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    It is so upsetting when people are blaming this VICTIM for staying because of "money". I mean, read like any article about abuse - how hard it is to escape, it's a continuing cycle, etc, etc, etc.

Also - http://kotaku.com/report-ea-will-rem...-15-1632420692
    I am not blaming her for what happened but I'm calling her out on her statement.
    It's because of the media that this clown is getting the punishment he deserves from the NFL and others.
    She is basically telling anyone who took her defense to fuck off.
    I think that's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Do you know much about the cycle of domestic violence, though?

Hella manipulation, psychological abuse, self blame, threats, etc.

This woman is a victim and needs support, not people questioning her, or saying she is with him for money. That isn't how domestic violence works.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    fuckin texans D killed me in ets. killed it in my other league with calvin johnson though

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Do you know much about the cycle of domestic violence, though?

Hella manipulation, psychological abuse, self blame, threats, etc.

This woman is a victim and needs support, not people questioning her, or saying she is with him for money. That isn't how domestic violence works.
    You can't help someone who doesn't believe there's a problem in the first place.
    It's same thing as alcoholics and drug addicts. First step is acknowledging the problem. You're never gonna get through someone if you can't get them to acknowledge the situation.

Anyways, to be quite honest, whatever happens next is none of our business. The Ravens, the NFL and sponsors have done what they felt like was best move for their businesses.
    The rest is a personal matter between two persons.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    WTF ADRIAN PETERSON YOU STUPID FUCK

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/sp...arge.html?_r=0

rip ets fantasy squad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    WTF ADRIAN PETERSON YOU STUPID FUCK

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/sp...arge.html?_r=0

rip ets fantasy squad.
    Hey, I'm just happy that the Vikings took the initiative and deactivated him for tomorrow's game. I can see them not playing him until this blows over, and then deciding what to do based on what happens in the legal channels. (By the way, I have an Adrian Peterson jersey. I will not be wearing it for the foreseeable future. I'm also not afraid to burn it I feel it comes to that.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It'll be interesting to see how the Peterson thing turns out. Unlike the Rice case, there's a huge portion of the population that's totally in favor of beating the hell out of children. The media is going to have a hard time acting outraged after years of laughing at and teasing players about the players' own stories of abuse. Actually, what am I saying? The media will flip on this in a heartbeat if there's any public pressure. Still, I'm not so sure that pressure exists.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Terry Crews captured it for me.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/150967_...stic_violence/

As for Adrian Peterson, ugh.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Congrats to the USA basketball team, they won this tournament without breaking a sweat. And those three pointers in the final, wow!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Attended the Bills' home opener today and was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself. Tailgated and everything.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Stay classy, New York Daily News.

(By the way, she gives the rest of us Vikings fans a bad name. Unless she's self-employed or doesn't work, her boss is gonna be real pissed off tomorrow morning.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    9ers held on to that lead alright.............wtheck, lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    Stay classy, New York Daily News.

(By the way, she gives the rest of us Vikings fans a bad name. Unless she's self-employed or doesn't work, her boss is gonna be real pissed off tomorrow morning.)
    The general reaction amongst those defending Peterson's actions genuinely depresses me. I find it simultaneously amusing that these same people take to Twitter to make some pithy statements about how it was simply "discipline", that they were brought up the same and it somehow made them upstanding citizens -- essentially trying to speak for anyone who faced corporal punishment as a child. Or they dress up like this lady.

As someone who was physically abused as I child, I generally find myself avoiding to be open about that when the topic of abuse does come up. Every single one of my friends who have faced similar trauma disavow of it, so they don't talk about it or express great confusion when they do. After one of them had a child, only then did she become very active in vocally condemning this kind of behavior. I feel like this makes it harder to survey whether or not a majority of those who have faced this kind of abuse actually approve of it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So who's ready for a new NHL season. I can't fucking wait.
    Aside from the fact that I don't like the Habs being without a captain, I can't wait to see which rookie will make it this year.
    I think Tinordi, Beaulieu and Sekac are locked in. Should be fun to watch these youngsters play.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm pumped for hockey. Well, aside from the fact the Sharks had a dismal offseason. It remains to be see how this all shakes out. I think Couture or Vlasic will be named captain. Possibly Pavelski. Most excited for the Stadium Series game vs. LA in the new 49ers stadium. Should be a doozy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I'm actually ready for hockey. It's going to be hard living Texas, being a Bruin fan

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    So who's ready for a new NHL season. I can't fucking wait.
    It's going to be an interesting season even for non-NHL-diehards up here in Canada. Rogers/Sportsnet is vastly expanding their online rollout of live sports content streaming — finally realizing that most people just don't watch much traditional live TV anymore and use laptops, mobiles, tablets or set-top boxes to get all their video content. My buddy is working on their expanded video crew for Hockey Night In Canada and he's been tasked with setting live monitor and camera colour-timing levels. No pressure, just the highest-profile sports broadcast franchise in history.