Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    I didn't have any expectations about this album, but some of the songs actually sounds good. Maybe I pick this up when it's released. You're So Vain's lyrics seems to reference Starfuckers to some extent.

you do know that you're so vain isn't manson's song...it's a cover....of a song that was written a long time before trent wrote starfuckers?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    lay down your arms reminds me of deftones a lil.....which is good
    I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking that as well! I listened to it again this morning and I went this sounds very familiar to Deftones formula and structure. Maybe it's his Chino pre-chorus mimic or just the fact of the overall tone of the song and how it slightly mirrors their style. Who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A bit funny how they say it "seems to reference"

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking that as well! I listened to it again this morning and I went this sounds very familiar to Deftones formula and structure. Maybe it's his Chino pre-chorus mimic or just the fact of the overall tone of the song and how it slightly mirrors their style. Who knows.
    Once Gloris mentioned it I heard it as well!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Gave them another listen though headphones last night, instead of my shit little netbook speakers. I have to admit I was wrong about the blandness in a lot of the songs. The joy of low quality speakers, I guess.

Colour me interested a lot more in BV for sure now. I still enjoyed THEOL a lot more than EMDM, but I can still tolerate them both. I just have to be in the right mood for EMDM.

Going back to "Arms", now I can hear some Deftones influence in there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Yeah, that would work too, lol.

I told him to take a look to TF's booklet because it mentions that SF uses lyrics from Carly Simon's song, but maybe he is a young guy/lady that just downloads his/her albums (no booklets) and doesn't listen to old stuff like that song, idk.
    My mistake, I don't really listen to classic rock that much and we don't really have that kind of radio station here in Finland. Yes, I do own The Fragile and I have read the booklet, but that information has slipped by me. I do listen old stuff, but that is mostly electronic music (for example, YMO, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream etc.)

Thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finland, really? Is it true you worship Conan O'Brien there?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yep. Haha, well he's the most known american late night show host here. Maybe someone here worships him, but haven't really met yet anyone that does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i don't mind the previews!

digging overneath, slow-mo-tion, children of cain, breaking the same old ground

lay down sounds like deftones
    murderers sounds like ministry

least impressed by cruel world and the title track

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From 1989-2004 we had Drug Manson, from 2005-20?? we have Drunk Manson.

Actually a bit excited for the new Drunk Manson album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ONE decent sounding clip in the lot, maybe two. Just meanders along...nothing stands out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Which was the ONE?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The 'Throw Down Your Goddamn Arms' or whatever the hell it's called. The rest was dull as hell. When hearing clips or an album for the first time, when it's done I ask myself...'what was one lyric or one riff or hell, one part that stuck out in any way shape or form?' For this, I got nothin'. Couldn't tell you how most of it went, it was that bland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If Manson's strength is in lyrics, why does he choose not to sing the correct chorus for Reflecting God? I've always found that annoying. He just jumps right into "shoot shoot shoot motherfucker" and stays with that as the whole chorus for the whole song. I've seen other videos of him doing the same thing. Is he getting himself pumped up? Is he giving the crowd what he thinks they want? It comes across as lazy or burnt out to me. Maybe he's just "creatively borrowing" from that John Lennon video where he flubs the lyrics to Come Together. That would be more Manson's style.
    Last edited by fan-since-96; 04-09-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babali View Post
    From 1989-2004 we had Drug Manson, from 2005-20?? we have Drunk Manson.

Actually a bit excited for the new Drunk Manson album.
    and if he carries on...in 2012 we'll have dead Manson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The 'Throw Down Your Goddamn Arms' or whatever the hell it's called. The rest was dull as hell. When hearing clips or an album for the first time, when it's done I ask myself...'what was one lyric or one riff or hell, one part that stuck out in any way shape or form?' For this, I got nothin'. Couldn't tell you how most of it went, it was that bland.
    i know exactly what you mean...it's just got nothing memorable to it...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not saying that, like I said, the 2 bits I dug weren't kinda catchy...that 'Throw Down...' sounded pretty cool. Also kinda worried about how it'll translate live. My only hope is heavier, faster, angrier...but I don't think kneeling in front of the crowd for 2/3 of the show will make that happen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, I enjoy these previews more than the past couple albums. Sounds like this may be better than I expected!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    ugh....his voice sounds awful. Completely blown out and scratchy, I think i will be passing on this album entirely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    and if he carries on...in 2012 we'll have dead Manson?
    I had it typed out but didn't really want to joke about him dying out of respect because it will be sad, to me, when Manson passes, even if he doesn't release anything good in the next years I will never forget what he meant at a certain period in my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm by far one of the most critcal Manson fans out there. When something is shit I say it without an issue, because I find the die-hards to be intolerable. But for all the people complaining about this? WTF do you want from this guy???? This is the heaviest, freshest sounding he has been in years and years. This is what I've been waiting for since Holywood. I almost gave up on this slob but he has very very much impressed me with what I've heard so far.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I agree. This thread has made it pretty clear that there are a few people that will never be happy with what he does. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it's time you people admit you're just not really fans anymore

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll still wait to give full judgment till I've had the album for a couple weeks and it is settled in. I enjoy every album Manson has made but I do understand where a lot of the criticism has come from these past years as it does seem he's squandered his talent at least a little bit, if not a lot with the addiction problem. I listen to dozens and dozens of different artists every day so I don't really care if he writes something amazing or not. If there's just one song on the album that I can enjoy, I'll add it to my playlist and be satisfied. It seems like there might be a few, Slo-Mo-Tion, The Gardener and Lay Down that I'll end up listening to pretty regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the same way Death Magnetic/Beyond Magnetic was St Anger with better riffs, this is like EMDM/THEOL but with a more Manson sound.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cesmfacil View Post
    In the same way Death Magnetic/Beyond Magnetic was St Anger with better riffs, this is like EMDM/THEOL but with a more Manson sound.
    By "manson sound" do you mean Reznor sound or shitty sound?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Manson had a sound that wasn't a reznor sound. I know he was produced by him but I've never thought they where that similar. Holywood was his best album and Reznor's name wasn't even on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it's def heavier than EMDM/THEOL. nothing totally sticks out at me yet like some of the haunting sounds in ACSS or MA, but i think it's going to please most fans. i'm certainly looking forward to it. not sure how i feel about The Flowers of Evil, the title track, Breaking the Same Old Ground, and the one with Depp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At first I heard "There isn't a key so lay down your arms" but it's obviously "There isn't a king"!

Also kind of sounded like Manson was saying "there were clowns in my coffee". you know, referencing the dopey clown thing. Pretty sure he's saying clowds though and his drunken slurry way of singing makes it down confusing.
    Last edited by Babali; 04-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justinthehomo View Post
    Manson had a sound that wasn't a reznor sound. I know he was produced by him but I've never thought they where that similar. Holywood was his best album and Reznor's name wasn't even on it.
    To each his own. Holywood was borderline for me...the last album that I still listen to more than about once a year. Far, far from being his best - in my own opinion, of course. I was a fan from Portrait, and honestly, I absolutely hated Mechanical Animals when it came out. I thought his new image was horrible, and I hated the direction the music was going in. Now...well, there are some stinkers on the album, but I like it a lot more than I used to. For me, POAAF and ACS are still his best discs.

Also, I haven't read back past this page...is there a leak out or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Samples are out. And I love Mechanical Animals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mechanical Animals is the only Manson album I will listen to anymore. I love every single song. I was hooked on the album on day #1 and even though I despise what Manson has become today, I still listen to that album.