Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    It was more about how upcoming bands are fucked.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been discussed (I can't read every page of this thread), but is there a PDF of the album booklet floating around for those who buy the album as a download and are not given said PDF with their purchase? Cheers.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    brace yourself - there is no booklet!

it just says "lyrics at bornvillain.com"

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This is what you get when you buy the album. Just fold it up and pretend it's made out of cardboard. Click File > Download to get the huge-ass full version.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Thanks!

EDIT: given this a cursory spin, and as I feared, what immediately jumps out is how fucking lame the guitar playing is. Not a riff or effect that isn't either filler noise or a cliche you've heard 1000 times before. There's 1000s of talented guitarists hanging around Hollywood who would kill to be on a Manson record and would be willing to write some riffs for a modest fee, but no: we have to go with a guy who barely knows his basic way around a six-stringed guitar.

Some nice basslines though...
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-10-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I listened to the album

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I quite like the percussive guitar on "overneath" and "murderers", I think antiquiet compared it to Helmet, pretty spot on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still really dig this album. I've listened to it a ton on my way to work and back since the psuedo-leak. I am really surprised by the album credits too, I honestly did not expect manson himself to ever have that much musical involvement on an album. I dig the born villain site a bit as well. his sites have been shitty for the last few years and I think everything about Born Villain is a step in the right direction.

We all have given Manson some amount of shit in the last 10 or so years, but honestly, after ACSS, MA and HW, I kind of feel like he has paid his dues. there was no way he was going to be able to keep going at it like he did on those 3 albums.

I realllllly dislike EMDM, I enjoy about half of THEOL and I dig this one. I feel like he has been better to his fans than Al from Ministry has. I can't even listen to a Ministry album after Animositisomina. What manson needs the most right now is a personal trainer. Maybe if he felt better physically, the rest of him might be stirred a bit. haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Rant by Lamb of God guy about sales of this album. Has he missed the point though that by being independent all of the money goes to the artist rather than a percentage?

http://www.antiquiet.com/truth/2012/...arilyn-manson/
    But Manson has not released the album independently, he has a contract with Cooking Vinyl.

Also, when they signed Manson, Cooking Vinyl said that they expected half million sales for this album, and its president even said this:

What are your targets for "Born Villain"?
    It's shaping up amazingly. I think we'll do in the first week what the last one did in the life of the record..
    http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...06953952.story

THEOL sold around 54.000 copies in the US during its first week, BV has sold 38.000.

I find hard to believe that BV will sell half million copies as CV expected. X-D

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    well, that's all hype & PR. there's no way this guy could possibly think that a Manson record would do that much in 2012. Much much bigger and more relevant artists wouldnt do the #'s he was talking about. if he really did, then he doesnt deserve to run anything as his grip on the reality of the industry nowadays is completely off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    well, that's all hype & PR. there's no way this guy could possibly think that a Manson record would do that much in 2012. Much much bigger and more relevant artists wouldnt do the #'s he was talking about. if he really did, then he doesnt deserve to run anything as his grip on the reality of the industry nowadays is completely off.
    I have to agree about the state of the industry bit. Even if they have some spectacularly amazing marketing plan that they are waiting to unleash (which they don't) those numbers would be ridiculous to expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They are planning to sell 500k worldwide, US isn't world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanim View Post
    http://scaleofuniverse.com/

It might as well be.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    my mistake. I honestly thought he'd gone completely independent

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanim View Post
    The biggest market for most of american bands is their own country.

Having sold just 38.000 copies during its first week and knowing that the sales for the next weeks will be lower and lower makes me doubt that this album will achieve the 500.000 copies sold mark. THEOL didn't sell so many copies worldwide, and BV is selling worse so far, call me negative bitch, but I doubt this album will outsell THEOL.

And CV's president expected to sell in a week the same amount of copies that THEOL sold in 3 years, the label most probably counted with that when they thought that BV would sell over half million copies, but so far it has sold worse than THEOL during its first week, no way this album will perform better than THEOL in the US or worldwide.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    my mistake. I honestly thought he'd gone completely independent
    Not really your mistake, Lamb of God's singer was the first one saying MM is selling BV independently.

Manson has his own label, but he has a contract with CV. This album is released under Manson's label too, but he has a contract with CV for promotion, distribution, etc... He has to share the profits with a record label and not all the money will go to his pocket. It's not exactly the same situation that Reznor has nowadays, because he does release his albums independetly since he left Interscope, he has not signed a contract with any record label afaik.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The more I listen to the new album the more impressed I become. This is a huge stride back toward his heyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Twiggy is now using a old school dress, pic from Dallas

More here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9130786&type=1

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Old school twiggy... awesome

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's badass. Apparantly Murderers was played and sounded awesome too. Can't wait for the youtubez

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Maybe it's because I've seen Jeordie White with APC and NIN now, but Twiggy - even in the old school dress- just isn't doing it for me now. Honestly, I thought it'd be amazing to see that again. I loved him in the pre-MA years.

Crap, maybe I'm just getting all growed up and boring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Manson on the No Reflection video:
    “I really like the video for ‘No Reflection,’” he says. “I’m really proud of it. It was written as a sarcastic view of my life. With the girls in my life, there’s the one that you pick and she poisons all the rest, then as you try to save the one you pick, she poisons herself, so you have to kill her and then you’re left alone. That is a very wide metaphor for everything that’s happened in my life. You make choices and sometimes you pick the wrong one, for the wrong reasons.”
    And suddenly the ridiculous posturing with a guitar makes sense... Its a metaphor for him masquerading through life as a musician

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    But Manson has not released the album independently, he has a contract with Cooking Vinyl.

Also, when they signed Manson, Cooking Vinyl said that they expected half million sales for this album, and its president even said this:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...06953952.story
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    What are your targets for "Born Villain"?

It's shaping up amazingly. I think we'll do in the first week what the last one did in the life of the record... It's [down to] a number of things. One, Interscope dropped the ball on the last record, without any shadow of a doubt. Secondly, Manson has delivered the best record that he's done for many, many years. And thirdly, we had all these exclusives lined up for the single ["No Reflection"] around the world and then Manson leaked it to KROQ and blew them all. We're already getting more radio play than the whole of the last record. It was a masterstroke by maverick Manson.

Wow, they really do have a good marketing plan: Manson will personally blow every staff member at radio stations willing to spin his tune. That guy was right, Manson IS a maverick, AND a hard worker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    The biggest market for most of american bands is their own country.

Having sold just 38.000 copies during its first week and knowing that the sales for the next weeks will be lower and lower makes me doubt that this album will achieve the 500.000 copies sold mark. THEOL didn't sell so many copies worldwide, and BV is selling worse so far, call me negative bitch, but I doubt this album will outsell THEOL.

And CV's president expected to sell in a week the same amount of copies that THEOL sold in 3 years, the label most probably counted with that when they thought that BV would sell over half million copies, but so far it has sold worse than THEOL during its first week, no way this album will perform better than THEOL in the US or worldwide.
    to play devil's advocate i'm not sure the quote is fully accurate, it appears that he was saying the first week numbers would be close. *and then* over the life of the record sales will be ...

38,000 sold copies isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either. the only number i could find on high end of low was around 130,000 copies (in the us). just using some shit i made up and sales drop off by mostly 50% a week, in 5 weeks, born villain would have sold about 75k. then again if the 38,000 was the worldwide number then *oops*

---

personally, born villain hasn't really sunk in yet, i get where some folks (like the record co guy) are saying it's his best album in years, and maybe it is, but lately i think i've been listening to eat me drink me more than this record.
    Last edited by koz-ivan; 05-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really would kill to hear The Reflecting God live on Tuesday, but it looks like the same setlist every night. =[

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just bought the album and, while I haven't gotten through the whole album yet, have enjoyed all the tracks except "The Gardener." I would definitely agree that this is his best since "Holy Wood." "Overneath..." has become one of my new Manson favorites.

Also: I just stumbled onto this recent performance of "Irresponsible Hate Anthem." He's definitely sounding better at his shows.

Last edited by wight rabbit; 05-15-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You can tell he's giving his shows 100% instead of 50% like the last few.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    COVER ONE

COVER TWO

COVER THREE

LETTERS PAGE

TARGET AUDIENCE

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

HALF OF MANSON/DEPP CENTERFOLD

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT, GO BUY THIS FUCKING ISSUE NOW!!!

That's a longtime online Manson fan in the letters page of the first post and, for those of you who don't already know and/or haven't already guessed, the "Hudson Homann" to whom they refer in the page following the Marilyn Manson/Taylor Momsen photo is Yours Truly, the one and only Hazekiah!

Too fucking cool!

And there's a bunch more stuff about the Golden Gods Awards as well as an interview with Taylor Momsen and lots of other cool shit...WORTH EVERY FUCKING PENNY!

Wish I could scan the rest but I just got home from Texas two hours ago and have to leave for Kansas City in another two hours and still have a LOT of shit to do first so ON WE PLOW, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

See you in the pit!!!

\m/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got back from the Oklahoma show. Venue had some real shitty mic levels. I could barely hear Manson over everything else. And I can't tell you how pissed I am that he didn't play Antichrist Superstar even though he did everywhere else.