Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    where the fuck is the facepalm button?
    if lift your hand roughly 45degrees towards your head, and you should hopefully get there without the need for a button

but put your hypersensitive beatles defending knee-jerk reactions to the side for a moment (fuck, like anyone really needs to defend the beatles). you misinterpreted me, and my point remains valid. why the fuck is anyone bothering to bring up the beatles in any sort of comparative way? it's pointless to try and compare them to virtually any band, let alone someone as culturally and artistically relevant as marilyn manson.
    how about we cut the fucking ridiculous diatribe and just discuss the merits of this album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
    ...it's pointless to try and compare them to virtually any band, let alone someone as culturally and artistically relevant as marilyn manson...
    I'm confused. Are you saying Marilyn Manson is culturally and artistically revelant? That can't be right.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm not trying to join the attack Harry train or anything but I HIGHLY recommend you listen to a full Beatles album before you pass judgment based on hearing them everywhere. I really think it'll change your opinion. It did mine. Do me a favor and download Sgt.pepper and give it a shot.
    I don't think it counts as an 'attack' if you phrase your response in such a polite manner. Matter of fact, I think I will give that album a spin, just because you asked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
    but put your hypersensitive beatles defending knee-jerk reactions to the side for a moment (fuck, like anyone really needs to defend the beatles). you misinterpreted me, and my point remains valid. why the fuck is anyone bothering to bring up the beatles in any sort of comparative way? it's pointless to try and compare them to virtually any band, let alone someone as culturally and artistically relevant as marilyn manson.
    Funny enough, my original comment about the Beatles had nothing to do with Manson. I would never, ever try to imply that Manson was more culturally or artistically relevant than them.

Anyways, here is what I think of the album.

So this is my second listen, and my first listen while paying any real attention.

Hey, Cruel World... - Helicopter propellors. Fuzz. Unintimidating intro. Pow, turn it up to 11 and start the show. Manson isn't fucking around. Catchy chorus. Manson belting out a hell of a scream towards the end. [9/10]

No Reflection - Another catchy chorus. Wailing. Music complements the vocals greatly. [8/10]

Pistol Whipped - Intro too long and annoying. Bass line sets the mood nicely. Manson has great delivery. Higher-pitched backing vocals sound great. Cock-cock-cock cock it. Some mediocre lyrics, but the delivery makes up for it, especially coupled with that bass line. Drum machine is somewhat annoying. [8/10]

Overneath The Path Of Misery - Gnarly intro. Very 'Portrait'. Better lyrics. Music is excellent. This song would sound so much better with a real drum kit. "I can never leave." Fantastic wailing delivery. He was right, this sounds much better than the version we heard before. [9/10]

Slo-mo-tion - More funky bass. At first, I didn't think the delivery fit the music, but the contrast is somewhat refreshing. Another song that would sound better with real drums. Manson's delivery is straight up 'Eat Me, Drink Me'. "I can't feel your tits with my brand new camera equipped with a flash." Please, no, never again. "I hate you all and somehow you find me incredibly charming." I can appreciate that. [7/10]

The Gardener - Another spoken intro. Okay then... Oh wait, it's all spoken? Alright, let's see how this goes. I appreciate the message, but the lyrics seem a bit pedestrian for Manson. I guess it's fitting that he's just speaking them, as opposed to singing. Ohhh, the chorus. I can definitely dig it. "A muse, your amusement, I am used." That's more like it. "Your book isn't burned, it was never written." His delivery of that line is just fucking awesome. [7/10]

The Flowers Of Evil - Intro is channeling 'Holy Wood', that's for sure. More superb bass. Excellent delivery of the first verse. Wow. The chorus is nice, but doesn't compare to the delivery of the verses. The music in the whole song is very 'Holy Wood'. [9/10]

Children of Cain - Interesting track. It stands out so far, not necessarily in a bad way. The delivery or vocals or music aren't all that amazing, but it sticks out to me for some reason. Maybe because it's the worst song so far? Which is strange, because I think it has the best lyrics thus far out of every song I've heard. [6/10]

Disengaged - The lyrics are nice, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of the delivery. The chorus picks it back up nicely. The worst track on the album so far, still pretty good though. [6/10]

Lay Down Your God Damn Arms - Manson sounds a bit 'slurry' singing this one. The chorus is excellent. Not a huge fan of the delivery in the verses. Overall, mostly 'meh'. [7/10]

Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day - Damn. Wow. Fuck. Christ. [10/10]

Born Villain - Interesting intro to a song. Almost sounds like a rap song. The "become become become" bit is fantastic, but it is definitely helped out by that bass line. The music in this song really sticks out so far, it's amazing. Very good. [9/10]

Breaking The Same Old Ground - I dig the music-box intro. Can't say I dig much else. Seems to be a staple 'slow, emotional' Manson track. I like the music a lot, but Manson's vocals and delivery don't do much for me. Lyrics are pretty mediocre overall. [6/10]

Overall: I'm fairly impressed. Out of Manson's lyrics, vocals, and the music - the music is easily the strong point. Manson's delivery was changed up a bit from song to song, and it was very refreshing. I expect a lot better out of him lyrically, so I wasn't quite as impressed as I'd like to have been in that aspect. Averaging out my scores and rounding up, we get [8/10]. Good shit.

I think I just needed something good out of Manson after 'The High End Of Low'. That may be the reason I'm so impressed with this. We'll see how I feel in a few months when the honeymoon phase wears off.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I don't think it counts as an 'attack' if you phrase your response in such a polite manner. Matter of fact, I think I will give that album a spin, just because you asked nicely.
    Jesus Christ... you haven't even listened to Sgt Pepper, but you offer your dumbass opinion as if you have any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ... you haven't even listened to Sgt Pepper, but you offer your dumbass opinion as if you have any fucking idea what you're talking about.
    Perfect example of a post which has no value other than acting smug or 'attacking' someone.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Perfect example of a post which has no value other than acting smug or 'attacking' someone.
    Sure, while I point out exactly WHY your opinion is uninformed and fucking useless. Cry about it.

Or you could revise your stance to "While I claim to like rock music, I haven't even bothered to listen to what is commonly considered to be the greatest rock album ever made. I can't be bothered. However, I will talk shit about it."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Sure, while I point out exactly WHY your opinion is uninformed and fucking useless. Cry about it.

Or you could revise your stance to "While I claim to like rock music, I haven't even bothered to listen to what is commonly considered to be the greatest rock album ever made. I can't be bothered. However, I will talk shit about it."
    I've heard many, many Beatles songs. I used to have a close friend who was pretty obsessed with them and was constantly playing their music around me. I'll admit I haven't sat through an album fully, but I've heard enough that I wouldn't consider my opinion baseless.

Even if I listened to the entire discography and said I thought they were shit, you wouldn't give a fuck because you're incomprehensibly butthurt over this for some damn reason. I think you need to relax a little. I don't like the Beatles. I'm not the devil. Calm down, it'll be okay.