Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I still stand by my opinion that HolyWood was the last truly great Marilyn Manson album. it may not have been as shocking as Antichrist, and might have been a bit more artsy and concept driven than Mechanical Animals, but it was still a great album. Everything after that has slipped a bit, either lyrically or conceptually. the really bad lyrics didn't start showing up until Eat Me, Drink Me. Golden Age had some weak tunes but not the worst, but the album concept itself was weaker and really didn't have any sort of messages to it like the initial trilogy had. High End of Low moved in the right direction, but it still suffers from a lack of hard-hitting lyrical content, and most of the lyrics just get repeated multiple times throughout the song whether it's the chorus, the bridge, or whatever. it ends up being very repetitive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I still stand by my opinion that HolyWood was the last truly great Marilyn Manson album.
    I feel like HW was Manson's last decent album. It had a few good songs, but the rest was weak. He sounded silly being 30 calling himself a disposable teen, among other questionable lyrics (cut our wrists like cheap coupons like death was on sale today at walmart, what?!)

Maybe it was just my age and that time period, but pre-HW Manson seemed to have so much more to say. He was the first real figure in my life that made me feel okay to have doubts about my religious upbringing. During the ACS era and into MA, he seemed so smart and driven, like he was really going to start a revolution or something. Then HW came out and it just seemed to go backwards, making it all about Columbine and such. Then GAOG came and everything has been downhill since in my eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    For people interested in what the old-school, intelligent Manson had to say, this site is great.

http://www.mansonquotes.com

It has a feature to cycle through his quotes and also read interviews and whatnot. It's a nice wave of nostalgia to hear intelligent things from him, as opposed to the same AIDS jokes over and over.
    So this is why we are getting traffic from here. Thanks for the mention

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I feel like HW was Manson's last decent album. It had a few good songs, but the rest was weak. He sounded silly being 30 calling himself a disposable teen, among other questionable lyrics (cut our wrists like cheap coupons like death was on sale today at walmart, what?!)

Maybe it was just my age and that time period, but pre-HW Manson seemed to have so much more to say. He was the first real figure in my life that made me feel okay to have doubts about my religious upbringing. During the ACS era and into MA, he seemed so smart and driven, like he was really going to start a revolution or something. Then HW came out and it just seemed to go backwards, making it all about Columbine and such. Then GAOG came and everything has been downhill since in my eyes.
    walmart? haha no mention of walmart in that song my friend. It was a metaphor of the value that society puts on children, and the result of it. The song he is singing for his target audience, not about him. Every release was different, which is why I am a HUGE Marilyn Manson fan. I am one of the two web developers of the site. GAOG I liked, but I it was too rappy for me. THEOL was my favorite release so far. I like where his music is going now. He reminds me of Madonna, try to go with the changes of what people like in music. EMDM he came on too strong with the emo stuff, that should have been released after THEOL. Before THEOL I really HW was my favorite release.

I went to a concert in 2009 and seeing him in '3D' instead of a magazine or television blew my mind. And inspired me to register mansonquotes.com, then a lot of unrelated shit exploded from there and numerous websites are run.

Anyway, hello and all that fun stuff, just figured I would say hello and I am glad people like what we created. Still lots to do, still many changes. Glad you enjoyed the site. I will lurk here for a bit to get a feel for the community.

<3 Television