Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Godflesh, Jesu and all things Justin Broadrick

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    yet another release from Justin. Final- Oblivion vol 3.
    https://final1.bandcamp.com/album/oblivion-vol-3

I told Justin I love the balance between his Final releases lately. some can soothe the soul and others just feel like it matches the state of the world that we're in. Oblivion is the latter.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I just posted about this in the Heavy thread but wanted to make sure you all saw it as well since we have a stupid amount of Jesu stuff...

My shop just got our hands on 500+ vintage shirts and we have a large amount of Jesu shirts and hoodies, some are up right now and many more are coming later. We are slowly rolling everything out in batches every Friday and we just posted our third.

It's a ton of Hydra Head stuff and a lot of it is dead stock because this came directly from somebody that used to work at Hydra Head. You can view them all here and if you want to stay updated on the weekly drops you can subscribe to our weekly newsletter here (I swear we wont send more than once a week).

Shipping within the US is free and we are negotiable on all prices using the Make an Offer button on every listing which includes our records. Hit me up if you have questions or if you are in the market for something specific. Thanks!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    new Jesu ep out of nowhere! "Pity/Piety" , two 17 min long songs
    https://jesu.bandcamp.com/album/pity-piety

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    New Godflesh album and ep coming soon!
    GODFLESH - PURGE (LP/CD/DIGITAL)
    Worldwide street date : Jun 9th
    Avalanche recordings. AREC066
    Distribution:
    UK/EU/ROW - Plastic Head
    USA/CAN - AISA/The orchard
    JAPAN - Daymare (2xCD w/ bonus 'NERO' EP)

Tape version being considered.

'NERO' EP digital only - APRIL 3RD
    (Orig song + 3 alt versions)

Early pre-order from Plastic Head UK. JKB store will have very limited quantities plus Test Pressings in May.
    https://www.plastichead.com/artist/godflesh

WORLDWIDE DATES / FESTS :

USA : OBLIVION FEST, Austin, TX, followed by mini tour of select US/Can cities - June. Sept East Coast (and CAN) mini tour of very select cities.

PLEASE NOTE: Please be sensitive with criticisms and/or queries due to the affect that can have upon my personal well being/autism, thank you.

Ink on sleeve is silver and not the pale grey as displayed in the example.

TRACKLISTING & INFO :

01 - NERO
    02 - LAND LORD
    03 - ARMY OF NON
    04 - LAZARUS LEPER
    05 - PERMISSION
    06 - THE FATHER
    07 - MYTHOLOGY OF SELF
    08 - YOU ARE THE JUDGE, THE JURY, AND THE EXECUTIONER

"With the highly anticipated new album PURGE, Godflesh revisits and updates the concepts of PURE (1992), as well as bringing a whole host of new dirges and laments. Amongst the many layers of dirt, PURGE mangles 90s hip hop grooves and puts them through the Godflesh filter to create something futuristic in style - and utterly unique.
    Both minimal and maximal, Godflesh deliver alien grooves that swing whilst also retaining the psychedelic, bad trip edge with layer upon layer of filth and heaviness - that Godflesh have always been known for. This is, and always has been, feel-bad music.
    The title alone - PURGE - references directly how songwriter and creator Justin K. Broadrick utilises Godflesh's music as a temporary relief from his diagnosed autism and PTSD. It's the next stage in a journey he has been on since he began creating music, feeling alone and like an outsider in any scene or group, from childhood through to adulthood.
    The music of Godflesh gives Broadrick the means to express a lifetime of feeling misunderstood and overwhelmed by hyper-sensitivity. The band is the vehicle to provide some sense of catharsis and transcendence; a way of communicating overload, as well as the constant disenchantment at the human condition, and man's abuse of power and the systems that chain us.
    PURGE references the cycle of horror that man always has and always will put us through; those in positions of power revel in the infliction of pain and horror upon individuals - in the name of their religion, their power, their money, their flags..."
    Last edited by versusreality; 03-03-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    new exit electornics album:
    https://jkflesh.bandcamp.com/album/b...eve-everything

Justin simply labels it industrial music. it is indeed, and noisy too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    first track from the new Godflesh album. I immediately spotted the Gang Starr sample

teaser from the new collab project called Loud as Giants. musically reminds me of the clean Jesu sound meets Final

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    first track from the new Godflesh album.
    I am fucking psyched for both the new 'Flesh album and Loud as Giants. I'm not listening to the singles, I'm waiting for the whole thing.

I am still gobsmacked by those Exit Electronics and JK Flesh albums, and I am actually working on something that sounds like EE a bit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Between this new Godflesh record, the new QOTSA and seeing The Cure live on the 11th, it's going to be quite the month in June this year for new shit I'm extremely hype for.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    new Exit Electronics e.p, digital or cassette:
    https://deathbedtapes.bandcamp.com/a...-shade-of-grey

new track from the upcomming Godflesh record:
    https://godflesh1.bandcamp.com/album/purge

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Purge is the fucking shit. That. Is. All.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    yeah, Purge is classic Godflesh. with a hint of new. good stuff. I'm finding it harder to relate to the Godflesh project (Final's non-Oblivion recent albums and the first Exit Electronics album speaks to me more these days) but when the mood is right, Purge is a great release of pent up anger and frustration.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    new JK Flesh album released yesterday out of nowhere. really damn good!
    https://jkflesh.bandcamp.com/album/no-exits

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    new JK Flesh album released yesterday out of nowhere. really damn good!
    https://jkflesh.bandcamp.com/album/no-exits
    I hope he releases 50 million more albums next month. <3

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    new Final & Richard Ramierz ep, "Ravine of Spears"
    also out of vinyl
    https://hospitalproductions.bandcamp...vine-of-spears

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    new Final & Richard Ramierz ep, "Ravine of Spears"
    also out of vinyl
    https://hospitalproductions.bandcamp...vine-of-spears
    Justin is unstoppable!

So, I've given Purge a few more spins. I think its biggest problem is the production. Probably because Justin's hearing has gotten worse due to age and constant touring, it seems harder and harder for him to pick up on mixing and editing issues. There were a couple of mistakes on A World Lit Only by Fire and Post Self, but it became even more evident with his Lustmord remix which had lots of bad edits (those clicky sounds drive me nuts), and Purge struggled with overall mix balance and weight. Nero in particular is very hard for me to listen to because of that, what with its constant almost-ultrasonic spikes that a person his age cannot hear anymore.

It's a real pity, because Purge features some of his best lyrics in a long time, and some of the riffs are on par with some of my fave older Godflesh material; I'm gonna get shit for this from many oldschool Godflesh fans, but, in a way, Purge is what I always wanted Pure to be, really. Maybe he should hire other people to mix/master his Godflesh/JK Flesh/Exit Electronics stuff from now on*. I'm still stoked about his collab with HEALTH, though.

*(Justin, if you're reading this, I'm available!)
    Last edited by wizfan; 10-25-2023 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You hit the nail on the head! I couldn't sum up the production of Purge into words, but you basically said exactly what I was thinking. The riffs are great, the lyrics are great...but I think the production of it overall just seems...off. I agree with what you said with Purge/Pure. In fact...if we had Pure's production on Purge, it may just be the best Godflesh record

In terms of what you said about hearing, it makes me wonder if that's why so much of his Final input recently has just been noise based. If anything, that isn't helping with the hearing (or mine, hah! )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Justin is unstoppable!

So, I've given Purge a few more spins. I think its biggest problem is the production. Probably because Justin's hearing has gotten worse due to age and constant touring, it seems harder and harder for him to pick up on mixing and editing issues. There were a couple of mistakes on A World Lit Only by Fire and Post Self, but it became even more evident with his Lustmord remix which had lots of bad edits (those clicky sounds drive me nuts), and Purge struggled with overall mix balance and weight. Nero in particular is very hard for me to listen to because of that, what with its constant almost-ultrasonic spikes that a person his age cannot hear anymore.

It's a real pity, because Purge features some of his best lyrics in a long time, and some of the riffs are on par with some of my fave older Godflesh material; I'm gonna get shit for this from many oldschool Godflesh fans, but, in a way, Purge is what I always wanted Pure to be, really. Maybe he should hire other people to mix/master his Godflesh/JK Flesh/Exit Electronics stuff from now on*. I'm still stoked about his collab with HEALTH, though.

*(Justin, if you're reading this, I'm available!)
    I love the current production...but I can safely admit I damaged my hearing by going to too many overly loud live gigs lol.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    catching up...
    new Final album coming end of May (can't wait for this one) :
    https://final1.bandcamp.com/album/what-we-dont-see

The theme of this recording is the invisible world, and one's (my) need for it.

It's necessary for me, this idea of the invisible world, if I am to function on a daily basis. I find comfort in knowing that this is all not just us here and now, that there's something else around us. That there's something within
    us, that isn't just this frail skin and bones and the immediate environments
    we drag ourselves around.

I am sure since I was a child, that within me I am many, I am more than this.

I surely can't be just this, so I am motivated by the fantasy and/or promise of more...
    Jesu- Hard to Reach EP remastered with unreleased tracks:
    https://jesu.bandcamp.com/album/hard-to-reach-ep

JK Flesh- PI11
    https://jkflesh.bandcamp.com/album/pi11-11

JK Flesh podcast, with lots of new/unreleased songs:

Techno Animal- Re-Entry and Brotherhood of the Bomb have been reissued.

Think that's all for now!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wish Godflesh would tour more. Would love to finally see them closer to me.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    JK Flesh podcast, with lots of new/unreleased songs
    Woo! JK Flesh's "dirty techno" has become one of my favorite styles of his. I wasn't too thrilled about how "clean" New Religions Old Rules sounded, and Sewer Bait didn't captivate me the way I hoped it would. The stuff on the podcast sounds more like the JK Flesh I enjoy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)