Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow. This is great. Weird, in a good way. It's definitely going to grow on me, I don't think there is a track that has nothing that interests me.
    If I had to make a comparison, I'd say it's closer to LTP - almost like if LTP and EV had a baby, it would sound a bit like this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Enjoying the new album a lot more than I originally thought I would - it's much more cohesive and 'controlled' than 'Era Vulgaris', which felt like Homme threw random ideas on the wall and recorded whatever stuck. '...Like Clockwork' feels like it actually has a purpose/concept (similar to 'Songs for the Deaf' and 'Lullabies to Paralyze')

Also, this is the only QOTSA album without the remake of a Desert Sessions song, right?
    Last edited by Presideo; 05-16-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the title track is going to be one of my favorite songs of all time, I can tell. such a good track, the lyrics work perfectly.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone else get a Clockwork Orange feel from around the 1:00 mark of Vampyre?

Also, that's Nick singing the little reprise thing at the end of If I Had a Tail right?
    Last edited by imail724; 05-16-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Also, that's Nick singing the little reprise thing at the end of If I Had a Tail right?
    I believe it's Alex Turner

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I believe it's Alex Turner
    Maybe both? Wiki says Nick's on that song, but outside of maybe that section, I don't hear him at all. Granted, I have no idea what Alex Turner sounds like...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's definitely Alex Turner. The creepy voice in the background could be Nick though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This album is ridiculously fantastic. Kalposia to Like Clockwork.... Ugh the arrangements, and song structures alone....Idk how anyone could be disappointed with this. Also love how odd this album is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    it's a v1 mp3 ya fucking nong i doubt you can tell it from a FLAC anyway!
    Huh? What is a nong? I'm talking about the production.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    dafuq, amazing album.

if i don't stop spinning it, it will be burnt in no time, damn
    Last edited by baudolino; 05-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Oh shit, how groovy is 'If I Had a Tail'?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really like this...favorite is "I Appear Missing".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Does no one wait till an album is actually released anymore?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Why would we?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Does no one wait till an album is actually released anymore?
    Hey! It's there!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does it make a difference?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Smooth Sailing reminds me of a cross between Skin on Skin and I move in the night by EoDM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, leaks of great albums make me more inclined to buy a physical copy instead of a digital one. I am not sure why, but hearing this last two days made me want the physical copy instead of a digital one.

The last physical copy of anything I purchased was either Download - Helicopter or Tomorrow in a year by the Knife.

Edit: Also, I dig the absolute fucking hell out of this Boneface guys stuff. These videos are amazing. Still looking forward to them even though we have the album now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not hugely impressed thus far. Some of the songs have a restrained jam feel to them like they didn't have a particular structure in mind. Don't get me wrong, QOTSA jams are sexy as fuck, but in a studio setting, sculpted as much as these are, it felt a bit weird. It's hard to explain--like they were tossing around ideas for which progressions to use and just shoved them all in together.

I'll also be that guy and say I miss Josh's more melodic singing of old, but I can get over that (and I'm going to have to).

Eh. Wish I'd waited 'til the actual release to listen, maybe they have a little fiddling to do in the meantime.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is it just me or do the characters in the latest video bear a striking resemblance to those on the album cover?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The leak peaked my interest. I was never a fan of QOTSA although I remember seeing them as the opening act at my 2005 NIN experience =D. The thing is, it was just outside my close-minded cup of tea, which has now greatly expanded.

Anyway, all this rambling just to say this: the first song got me hooked, then the second one was good too, then I realised I was at track #6 and still enjoying my ass off, then continued listening because it was THAT good and it was 2 AM.

I'm a new fan, this new album is getting me aboard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    kinda underwhelmed actually. it's nothing horrible, but i think i might just be a little over queens/their new stuff just can't compare to their old stuff for me.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Had to take a longer route from home to work to listen to the whole album on the way.
    The only negative point: lack of real fast songs (which decreased my score from 10 to 9.5).

Smooth Sailing sounds more like TCV than QOTSA.
    Fairweather Friends ending = lol. Also, it's my favorite song so far.
    My God is the Sun sounds much better than earlier concert recording (I suspect it will be even better at the actual show, as opposed to the audience recording or poorly-mixed proshot).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is an astounding album. Has really come out of left field for me, as it appears to be so different to what they've released up to now (and that I've heard - I don't really know the pre-Rated R stuff at all). It really has a great flow to it, almost like it's a concept album/rock opera of some sort. Mellow at the start, gets more intense as it gets to My God Is The Sun onwards. Fairweather Friends/Smooth Sailing/I Appear Missing - absolutely epic. And that bit from 3.48 on SS, seriously disturbed and brilliant! Can't wait for the CD to show up, but in the meantime onto my third listen...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    So, this is finally something involving Homme (apart from Sound City and TCV) that I enjoy again. It is yet again not what I loved about QOTSA in the past, but if this would have come after SFTD I would have never lost it with this band. It's weird and has all the elements that I liked about EV and Lullabies although I never enjoyed those records.

Favorites: fairweather friends, kalopsia, keep your eyes peeled

My only real gripe is that I was really looking forward to Lanegan's input, but you can barely hear him at all. And I do too miss a real rocker on this album, but I really enjoy the overall dreamy mood, about like clockwork. This one will require a few more listens but it sinks in pretty well!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is the album streaming anywhere in full right now?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I really enjoy the overall dreamy mood, about like clockwork.
    And by that, you mean "Fucking Bleak" of course...

I love it too, but damn, I know QOTSA has had its fair share of melancholic songs, but that's one dark album, I understand why he wanted Reznor to produce it (even though I really have a hard time now figuring out what he could have done, it's no Era Vulgaris, style-wise)...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    And by that, you mean "Fucking Bleak" of course...
    well, dreams can be fucking bleak, can't they?

But I have to confess that I haven't gotten to the lyrical side of the album yet. As a non native speaker I tend to neglect that part of the music rather often and stick with the overall sound.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    The leak peaked my interest. I was never a fan of QOTSA although I remember seeing them as the opening act at my 2005 NIN experience =D. The thing is, it was just outside my close-minded cup of tea, which has now greatly expanded.

Anyway, all this rambling just to say this: the first song got me hooked, then the second one was good too, then I realised I was at track #6 and still enjoying my ass off, then continued listening because it was THAT good and it was 2 AM.

I'm a new fan, this new album is getting me aboard!
    You lucky bastard, now you get to listen to all their other albums for the first time! I'm envious of you.

Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    This is an astounding album. Has really come out of left field for me, as it appears to be so different to what they've released up to now (and that I've heard - I don't really know the pre-Rated R stuff at all).
    Dude, you gotta listen to S/T! It's my favorite album of theirs.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I Sat By The Ocean & I Appear Missing. Those are your absolute solid songs. Everything else...so far...not really feeling it.