Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ^ I was looking for the rip too, but it seems nothing has appeared yet...

I hope this show gets uploaded, i missed it yesterday and i was only able to watch the NIN set...
    This is the best quality of the 2 I've seen on YouTube:

Also pretty sure this is the back of my head:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseprocedure View Post
    KC tonight was pretty awesome... cant wait for Council Bluffs tomorrow... or today... however you look at it! Luckily this is a much shorter drive from Omaha. The merch booth for KC didnt have much but I am betting that is because it was a mini festival type of a thing. They had standard and deluxe vinyl for 20 and 45... shirts were I think around 30 and they had a bandana for 10. I didnt catch how much the cds were and no poster for that show. I am hoping they have an exclusive poster for CB. I will try to remember to snap a picture of the merch booth tomorrow. Getting there around 1 to try to get a better spot this time.

I was pretty disappointed that either 96.5 or The Killers' crew wouldn't let QOTSA put up their full stage show, and only had a few of those light panels lazily strewn across the stage. Decent set though. They sounded phenomenal. You could tell they were definitely catering to a radio crowd though. I think they should have headlined too, because half of that audience bolted as soon as they were done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They just threw up the Lolla video on their Facebook.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I was pretty disappointed that either 96.5 or The Killers' crew wouldn't let QOTSA put up their full stage show, and only had a few of those light panels lazily strewn across the stage. Decent set though. They sounded phenomenal. You could tell they were definitely catering to a radio crowd though. I think they should have headlined too, because half of that audience bolted as soon as they were done.
    I agree but I was kinda thinking that they didnt put up the screen so nothing happened to it while all the bands were moving gear. When I saw the lips at the same venue they had a screen in the back but they were the headliner so they didnt have to move it around. We were 2 of the people that bolted after QOTSA, lol. Although I agree that QOTSA should have headlined... I am very happy we didnt have to wait through The Killers to see them. We had a good system against the fence, we met a couple in line behind us that was there for Gogol and we were there for Queens, so I came up with the idea of letting them have our fence spot during Gogol then have them give us our spot back when Queens came out. We found a cute little couple in the crowd that was there for The Killers and it was the girls first time in a pit so we made sure to giver her our spot when we bolted. All in all it was a pretty decent night... other than the bitch that made a scene and called me a dickhead over and over because I wouldnt let her steal my spot to take pictures/text. She manipulated her way infront of a shorter young girl that kept looking back at me not knowing what to do because she made it sound like it was just A picture maybe two, so me and another dude requested she got her spot back... thats when the bitch got really pissed at me... and wouldnt wait till after the set to talk about it. Lets just say... I showed her what acting like a dickhead was all about. I had a few people down the way laughing and telling me that she was bitching the whole way out after the set. Ahhh self important people.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am thinking about throwing my Lollipalooza setlist on Feebay so it can get into the hands of someone who was there. I wanted to post that I have it one more time here cuz I really hate throwing things like this on ebay. I just feel weird about having a setlist for a show I wasnt at... kinda bummed I was handed a Lolla setlist and not the CB setlist... but Lolla has to next to impossible to get a setlist for. Shoot me a pm with offers (cash or trade) if you were there and want it .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    dude, this album was put out basically being paid for out of josh's pocket. I for one didn't mind buying this multiple ways to help support it because i personally enjoy the hell out of this album

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'm seeing them headline at Squamish Festival on Saturday night, can't fucking wait! Other than the Lolla stream I've been trying to keep away from their live shows and setlists so it's all nice and fresh to me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I'm sorry. I don't even think Like Clockwork is that great, to be honest. Certainly not for the price I paid, and getting jipped on a lyric book in the process.
    I respect your thoughts and i do think lack of a basic lyric sheet was kinda a bummer

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)

QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork

I downloaded the leak, and liked it so much I pre-ordered the deluxe vinyl. It's fun that there were other options, but no one twisted my arm to buy all five versions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wait... what are you complaining about? The fact that the 1% of the people who collect every physical release have to collect three records (a demographic that if you are a part of, should know already how expensive a hobby that is)? Or that you didn't get a lyric booklet for an album you are indifferent to?

Would you have bought the album if it was only offered in Deluxe form for $45-50? Wouldn't you be more upset to spend that much on an album you don't care for?

I frankly love the options LPs are getting, as many of the physical media buyers move from CD to LP. I also don't mind paying that extra 5-10 bucks for the 180g pressings (I know some argue the audible differences are negligible but I love the weight and gatefold 180g records require). ...Like Clockwork was a bit more pricey, but the presentation was stunning. The sheer quality of the card stock, LP sleeves and pressing was WELL worth the $50.

If you don't see the value in this (or are a collector, which again, is by habit an expensive hobby), then that is why artists offer the $25 standard LP issue.

Cliff Notes: Artists offer different versions of physical media (whether CD or LP) to serve the different demographics who would buy their albums. Not to gouge collectors, or deprive people of lyric sheets.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I got a pic with this awesome dude, I'm sure you all know who he is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^^^ nice! whered you meet him?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qotsa_1992 View Post
    ^^^ nice! whered you meet him?
    He was hanging out at our local radio station this afternoon.

I'm just on my way out to the gig tonight!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    the blue one was indies only right? so it's out as a favour to indie retailers, to give people an incentive to buy from them rather that amazon or whatever. i can't imagine it was sold wholesale for much more than the red one, so any mark-up is (likely) down to those retailers.
    the 180gram one will cost more to produce (physically uses more vinyl, more expensive jacket, expensive printing for the full colour 12x12 booklet, and also more expensive to ship), & probably done in a smaller amount than the standard with less chance of a repress. it's pretty rare to get a full-size booklet these days because they are a lot more expensive to produce.

people release records in multiple colour ways all the time, it's not all that different.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    In the end, I still have a subpar Queens album.
    i think you're definitely in the minority, there. most everyone (myself included) seems to think this album is incredible.

also, where did you buy it that you paid $40? are you including shipping in that price? because i bought the deluxe version directly from matador's website and it was only $42 WITH shipping.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is the first time I've ever heard of a new release LP being released in three different versions. You're telling me there are other musicians who release their albums in a variety of LP versions? That's insane.

You honestly think musicians and their record companies release multiple versions of formats of the same record to appease their dedicated fanbases? And not to gouge them for every dollar they can in these dark, trying times of the music industry?

Seriously?
    I'm sorry, I stopped reading here as it's clear you; 1) Don't have a clue about the LP market these days, and 2) didn't understand my point at all.

1a) I'm not sure if you were serious with the first part of your statement but bands have been releasing deluxe versions of albums for a long time. Heck this year alone, Atoms for Peace did the exact same thing for AMOK (Deluxe and Standard LP, difference being in wax weight and presentation). I won't waste anymore time on this, other than, do some research you will see QOTSA isn't the first and won't be the last to do this.

1b) Sidenote: If you feel that extra songs or DVD footage, or a CD version of the album are the only thing that makes LPs deluxe, then that's your opinion. But the LP market doesn't work that way and I bet hand over fist that most people who bought the Deluxe Version of ...Like CLockwork feel it's totally worth the money they paid. (Yes, people will pay more for heavier wax, better cardstock and a higher quality presentation).

2) I never said musicians release multiple versions to appease a dedicated fanbase. I said they release different versions to appease ALL their potential fanbases; including both the dedicated and casual. Thus, you have a deluxe version for the dedicated who are certain they will at least derive some joy out of the album (and are willing to pay more for better quality), as well as a standard version for those who aren't sure but want to pick up the album to try it out (but not at $50). It's really not that hard to see. It's the same reason why NIN will be releasing 2 different CDs for HM, a standard and deluxe.

... OK, I lied, I read the rest of your post, and really, it sounds like you are complaining that you spent $40 on an album you don't like and that you didn't even get the best version.

When I dropped the stupid amount of money on the TGWTDT soundtrack, and when the soundtrack turned out to be average or so (I've listened to it once on vinyl, bunch digitally), I didn't run to TR and AR and yell at them for selling me a $300 deluxe version I don't like. I told myself to be more careful when spending my money. Just because you spent X dollars, does not entitle you to the best quality, something you enjoy or a reach around. It's a risk you take when buying art/entertainment.

Maybe next time, try the digital version first before dropping money on multiple LPs you have never heard?
    Last edited by Canuckle; 08-09-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Not trying to be snarky, but seriously, you are fighting an uphill battle if you view the LP world this way

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Try before you buy, broseph. I didn't pre-order ...Like Clockwork until I downloaded the album. And even after pre-ordering, the vinyl didn't show up until about a month after the album was officially released. (Don't care, had the leak way before then. Not the point.) Wanna know a secret? I still haven't pre-ordered Hesitation Marks. I run the NIN Hotline and Echoing the Sound (and help with NINshirts.com) and I haven't pre-ordered a single copy of Hesitation Marks. If I really like it, I'll buy either the Deluxe Edition or the vinyl, in a store. If I really really like it, I'll pre-order both.

If I don't like what I downloaded, I'll be sure to buy the regular, digital, deluxe, and vinyl editions, and then complain about how I'm not great at budgeting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    does anyone know where i can get a higher resolution file of the picture qotsa currently has as there facebook banner? The one overlooking the lolla crowd? i'd really like to have a better quality version of that pic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not here to say "I got totally ripped off by paying tons of money for the high end deluxe packages of products I didn't need or bother to consider whether it was worth the money before I spent it," like people do in every other thread of a popular band on this site, but I am amongst those that feel like Them Crooked Vultures was a GREAT album and that Like Clockwork is just fairly par for the course.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No shit, right? I think we both learned a hard lesson or two between Queens/Trent.
    Let's just go with this considering we won't see eye to eye on much else.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qotsa_1992 View Post
    does anyone know where i can get a higher resolution file of the picture qotsa currently has as there facebook banner? The one overlooking the lolla crowd? i'd really like to have a better quality version of that pic
    Even when I viewed the pic fullscreen on Facebook it was still that size.

Tried a Google Images search for Queens of the Stone Age Lollapalooza & limited the date range from the 2nd until today & didn't find anything.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Damn i sure do love them opening the show with Keep Your Eyes Peeled, the sound for the breaking glass intro just sent chills up and down my spine when i saw it live.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    There are Red Rocks GA tickets available. Sighhhhh

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Damn i sure do love them opening the show with Keep Your Eyes Peeled, the sound for the breaking glass intro just sent chills up and down my spine when i saw it live.
    Can't wait to hear that live myself... fuckin' October is so far... Oh and i know they won't do it, but since they are playing Mexico they can play Mexicola... (yup i know im so delusional, yup i know i should stop doing drugs...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just went for the standard version LP for £15 from fopp. Glad I did now, its a great record in my opinion. Also I like the idea of providing MP3 and FLAC downloads, I can make a CD with the FLACs now.
    Yea its a pain that there are no liner notes, but I'm not too worried about that.

The record feels more sturdy that an normal LP, is it 140 gram or 180 gram?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R37R0 View Post
    I just went for the standard version LP for £15 from fopp. Glad I did now, its a great record in my opinion. Also I like the idea of providing MP3 and FLAC downloads, I can make a CD with the FLACs now.
    Yea its a pain that there are no liner notes, but I'm not too worried about that.

The record feels more sturdy that an normal LP, is it 140 gram or 180 gram?
    I believe the Standard LP is 150g with the Deluxe being 180g. Which is better than most standard LPs who get the 130g treatment. The entire release catalogue for ...Like Clockwork is really of great quality.

http://store.matadorrecords.com/new-...like-clockwork

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    This was posted earlier in the thread, but Homme collaborated with Dave Sardy (who's also worked with NIN) on this very Like Clockwork-esque track for the soundtrack to End of Watch last year:

Fits in pretty well with the album's vibe, in retrospect.
    Last edited by botley; 08-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Josh is the guest on this week's Sound Opinions show- http://www.soundopinions.org/shownot...shownotes.html

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    "I have to hunker down and listen to some Kyuss to prep my mind for a talk tomorrow."

https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/369216748018356224

Fuck yeah, first Maynard and now this!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    From the QOTSA twitter feed:

Hey USA. If you haven't bought or stole it yet. ...Like Clockwork is only $6.99 at @iTunesMusic Here. http://bit.ly/132KdS5