Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2035

Thread: Qotsa

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    So, I haven't heard it yet. How is the production on this thing? I love QotSA, but as others have said, Villains did not do it for me. It felt very small and dry. Loved Like Clockwork. The Vampyre of Time and Memory is an all time great song. Songs for the Deaf is so good. Lullabies to Paralyze is probably my personal favorite of theirs. So how does this one stack up against those three? I don't dislike the singles that were released, but I like it when the band gets weird and does new stuff at this point.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    So, I haven't heard it yet. How is the production on this thing? I love QotSA, but as others have said, Villains did not do it for me. It felt very small and dry. Loved Like Clockwork. The Vampyre of Time and Memory is an all time great song. Songs for the Deaf is so good. Lullabies to Paralyze is probably my personal favorite of theirs. So how does this one stack up against those three? I don't dislike the singles that were released, but I like it when the band gets weird and does new stuff at this point.
    I'm currently on listen two and I can say with absolute confidence this is better than Villains (I say that as someone that likes that album). It's got some familiar sounds but with a bunch of new, weird shit mixed in. They struck a really nice balance, IMO. Negative Space > Time & Place are to back to back bops, with the intro to the latter is kinda genius. I think you're going to dig this album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Carnavoyeur", music video:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    New interview: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/jo...one-age-return

Josh mentioned having cancer last year and recovering since.
    He really had it rough in the past few years.
    Grateful that he came through all that and is making great music again.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I really love this album. It might be my favorite of the trilogy.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Got the record a few days early and I am really really digging it, I look forward to spinning it a few more times today.

Also my shop has copies of the Translucent blue, green, red, silver, and black variants if anyone is looking and we have a small handful of double-sided 11 x 17 promo posters I can toss in with the first few orders.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Alas can't see them in London in November as will be out of the country, drat!! Anyways looking forward to the album dropping tomorrow, oldstyle

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Really loving the 3-song run of Paper Machete > Negative Space > Time & Place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    God what a fantastic album...I'm just in awe...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    still on my first listen but already I’m impressed. the singles in context sound so much better

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Another band choosing to now skip Wisconsin. Or stupid fucking Riot Fest has a radius clause.
    Go see the Cure at Riot Fest. They were great at the show I saw this tour. Mars Volta is playing the same day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This album fucks. It's sleek yet dense; it's groovy, it's sexy, it's catchy, it's fuzzy. The guitar and bass work wonderfully with each other (the production is awesome). I'd have preferred another song or two, but this is pretty much all killer, no filler as is. There isn't really anything I dislike.

Favorites so far are 'Time and Place', 'Emotion Sickness', and 'Sicily'.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Listening now after the Sigur Ros playthrough... shit slaps so far. Damn.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Not bad, but not really blown away by it either. I really would have liked more of the energy and variety that it had in the second half.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Southside Festival Livestream

Friday June 16
    2:30pm East
    1:30pm Central
    12:30pm Mtn
    11:30am Pacific

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "Time & Place" is a standout track for me so far. I mean, the way the guitar starts and then the drums come in like 'nope we're going thataway' and the song drives itself all over the place throughout, that's pretty fun.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah, this shit's really good. I love the production - a big step up from Villains (which I actually liked, but would rank toward the bottom of their discography). It's shorter on hooks and memorable choruses than previous outings, but it's got some great grooves, riffs, and fuzz. Not a weak track on this fucker.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Had a read through the lyrics too. Jesus that man can write…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really digging the new record! I love how they've focused on this dark and dramatic scuzziness that adds to the atmosphere of the whole thing. Obscenery is such a great opener, the moment when the track drops out and the strings come in is brilliant. Paper Machete and Negative Space is an awesome pair in the track list as well, they both have Lullabies-era vibes particularly with the guitars. Sicily is one of the most unique tracks the band's done I reckon, absolutely love those giant string parts and the groove. All the orchestral stuff in the album is so well done! Straight Jack Fitting is fantastic too, love the guitars and Josh's lyrics/vocals.

The whole album's peppered with these cool moments that just elevate everything!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    It's a fantastic album. While I don't have huge mind-blowing expectations for the exercise, I'm looking forward to listening to the trilogy straight through to see how it feels as a whole. ITNR though...I just can't get enough of it. There's just not a weak track in the bunch. I'm seeing talk about there not being enough variation and, man, I just don't get that take. There's so much nuance in there...and so much big, massive sound without ever feeling like 'too much.' Someone already mentioned it, and I agree: all killer, no filler.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The community, arguing all over about the trilogy concept, is a funny one, indeed. It is literally sprinkled right there, in Boneface' artwork.

Diving into the album, tonight! Headphones, with dim lighting to follow. Was also reading about what Josh recently went through, in his personal life, and over the years... Damn.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-17-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My initial impressions are that the album is pretty damn good, certainly better than Villains. Negative Space and Carnavoyeur are early favorites. It feels like a grower - but ...Like Clockwork took time to grow on me as well, and that's my favorite album from them.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm currently on Made to Parade, and while Villains holds some of my favorite tracks from the band, the direction on this one seems more focused as whole. Villains almost felt like 2 different albums, in one.

Time & Place is fucking fantastic, and cdm is absolutely correct. There is so many little things going on, the tweeters in my car are going nuts. The subtle clapping, and finger snapping in Time & Place makes me smile.

Edit: The singles work so much better as a whole, rather than listening to them individually. Emotional Sickness guitars, and overall feeling just hit so much different after hearing what lead up to it. Sicily is easily one of my favorites so far, but it really isn't THAT much of a departure from what they have done in the past. You could throw Sicily in Songs for the Deaf, or Lullabies, and those albums wouldn't miss a beat.

Musically, everything is top notch, but the bass and drums are the winners here. I hear a lot of Lullabies in this album, and that is really leaving a lasting impression.

Straight Jacket Fitting seems to be the only hiccup, for me. It's a fantastic track, but I was a bit perplexed with the decision to add that little guitar segment at the end. I feel it would have worked better the other way around, with starting the track that way, and having a better transition into the main song. The way it stops abruptly, then starts again with a completely different sounding end, was a tad jarring.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-17-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still feeling like the trilogy is in reverse order somehow…

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Still feeling like the trilogy is in reverse order somehow…
    If you click through to Spotify that's how it's arranged in the playlist...interesting.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    New album is great, gets better with every listen and it has a vibe of the first albums, it's not "Like Clockwork"; but it's awesome in it's own way

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Damn fine album! I agree with most of the opinions already voiced that there don't seem to be any weak songs in this. Every song has its own thing going, its vibe, its cool little twist, its boombastic-ness! Sounds like what you'd expect from QOTSA, but it's fresh enough to be distinct. I'm a happy listener.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)