Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: System Of A Down

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://systemofadown.bandcamp.com/a...idal-humanoidz

This popped up in bandcamp while I was there and was like, no way this is actually them, right? but I come here and you confirm it.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    It's like they didn't miss a beat~!

I like the second song better because I just need that upbeat heavy rockin' feeling right now.
    Last edited by ickyvicky; 11-06-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    It's like they didn't miss a beat~!
    My thoughts exactly. They've aged like fine wine.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Guess there are 2 kinds of fans.
    Exactly lol. I was simply banging to Geno and at the brink of tears for Protect.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Couldn't believe i'd say it, but "Dictator" by Daron and Scars on Broadway does more for me than this single. Would have to give it more spins to grow and digest...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Is Serj even on 'Protect The Land" lmao. Once again Daron takes over lead vocals with his horseshit whiny voice. Got one of the most versatile singers in the world in your band so why not push him to back up vocal duty so the guitar player can live out his rock n roll fantasy of being a lead singer.....Looking more forward to Serj's solo EP where I dont have to listen to Daron singing over Serj

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

System Of A Down

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Is Serj even on 'Protect The Land" lmao. Once again Daron takes over lead vocals with his horseshit whiny voice. Got one of the most versatile singers in the world in your band so why not push him to back up vocal duty so the guitar player can live out his rock n roll fantasy of being a lead singer.....Looking more forward to Serj's solo EP where I dont have to listen to Daron singing over Serj
    Yea, I’m not really feeling this EP
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 11-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    He is, just mixed a lot lower.

I personally dont have problem with Daron, his singing has gotten a lot better since when he started

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Someone REALLY needs to tell Daron that the backup singer backs up the lead singer. Not the other way around. It's in the position name, for fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Someone REALLY needs to tell Daron that the backup singer backs up the lead singer. Not the other way around. It's in the position name, for fuck's sake.

man, screw that. Daron's voice is just as important to the band as Serj's voice is. Their contrast is what makes it work. There is also such a thing as a Co-lead vocalist, look at Alice In Chains. Besides, I'm pretty sure Serj has said he is less interested in singing than he was before.
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 11-07-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I honestly never liked Serj's solo work. I'll take Daron's voice back into the fold.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Can't deny the harmonies are on point. Other bands can't do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I grew out of System in my late teens (about the same time I discovered NIN) but even now I can see the clear difference between this and B.Y.O.B. - their previous 'comeback' single.
    That rips right out of the gate, this stuff just seems like SOAD by the numbers/lite.

It's also interesting to hear now how Daron's vocals just drown out Serj in the later albums...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post

It's also interesting to hear now how Daron's vocals just drown out Serj in the later albums...
    Thats all Daron. He's an egomaniac. He demands to be the sole writer of every song and get publishing etc. He clearly wants to be lead singer. I am shocked Serj went along with it and allowed Daron to pull such a power move. I think by 05 Serj didnt give a shit and was already plotting his solo career. Steal This Album demos are better than the album because 99% of Darons vocals are not even on that record. Its basically what that album woulda sounded like with just Serj

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Love Daron's vocals. Lover Mesmerize and Hypnotyze. Love the new tracks.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Thats all Daron. He's an egomaniac. He demands to be the sole writer of every song and get publishing etc. He clearly wants to be lead singer. I am shocked Serj went along with it and allowed Daron to pull such a power move. I think by 05 Serj didnt give a shit and was already plotting his solo career. Steal This Album demos are better than the album because 99% of Darons vocals are not even on that record. Its basically what that album woulda sounded like with just Serj
    I honestly cannot stand daron. He kind of ruins SOAD for me. In the early days when it was mainly Serj as the vocalist, it was better. But you're right, he's stolen the spotlight and trying to take over all the duties as his own, and he just comes off as very pompous and egotistical. I'm not surprised it's taken serj this long to want to work with him again. I'm shocked we got these songs at all TBH. Daron is flaunting all over social media that he wrote everything on the tracks anyway. It's basically the Daron hour at this point.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Serj and Daron work so well off of each other vocally; especially with the harmonies. But too much Daron is never a good thing for my ears.

Funny he flaunts about the writing because there is a decent amount of Scars on Broadway material that is utter garbage, including the last album; sounded like broken up SOAD songs with one of the worst album covers I've ever seen. The band now being named "Daron Malakian and Scars on Broadway" makes the criticism that much more fitting.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After listening to it several times I can safely safe it's in the average camp. It's not really that great of a comeback song one would hope for after 15 years.

The lyrics and all that for the actual meaning I'm not knocking but the song as a whole just doesn't for it for me.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-08-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love Daron's voice but I guess I prefer more Serj. When they sing together, it's perfect.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

... wait, what?!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Which part? He came out a few months ago as a Trumper.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    If there was other stuff demoed up in 2016 without Serj on the level of Genodical Humanoidz then I'm bummed we'll not hear much of it. It's cool that there's new SOAD music but just a tantalising tease of what could be.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Which part? He came out a few months ago as a Trumper.
    I didn't know that...just took me by surprise, being in that band and supporting the fired one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wut? Does he demand to be the sole writer or is he the only one that writes worth a shit? Sure, I'd be down with Serj singing most of the songs on an album and Daron having maybe one or two, but c'mon. He's obviously the big dog.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Serj wrote a huge Op-ed piece about it a few years ago. How the reason they will never put another album out was basically because the band is a dictatorship with Daron in charge and calling the shots and making most of the money. Serj writes plenty of stuff. It just never gets used.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's very clear when you listen to the albums which songs Daron wrote and which songs Serj wrote...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Serj wrote a huge Op-ed piece about it a few years ago. How the reason they will never put another album out was basically because the band is a dictatorship with Daron in charge and calling the shots and making most of the money. Serj writes plenty of stuff. It just never gets used.

It's no coincidence the quality of the songs slowly started to decline as it slowly became less "System of a Down" and more "Daron of a Malakian"

It's likely they were never going to top the first self titled album, and though I like a bunch of songs on Toxicity, as a whole it hasn't aged well to me and it's clear how he was slowly starting to exert control of the songs starting then.

Steal this Album! is excellent I suspect it's probably because it's overall songs with more Serj influence than Daron and that's why they were left over from their recording sessions around the Toxicity era

Hypnotize/Mezmerize is almost wholly unlistenable to me and I don't think its coincidence that's it's peak Daron Malakian in control

These new songs are pretty much exactly what I always expected we'd get if/when we ever got new System of a Down - nothing interesting.

Also if you watch some of their performances the last decade its also clear Serj's voice has not aged well at all. He was always a bit more "frontman" than "singer" and the performance early on was always more based in energy than singing. Though he clearly had a voice, I'm not saying couldn't sing at all, it's just not realistic to expect anything coming from System of a Down now to be anything like the System of a Down we remember, regardless of Daron Malakian's control issues.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 11-11-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    It's no coincidence the quality of the songs slowly started to decline as it slowly became less "System of a Down" and more "Daron of a Malakian"

It's likely they were never going to top the first self titled album, and though I like a bunch of songs on Toxicity, as a whole it hasn't aged well to me and it's clear how he was slowly starting to exert control of the songs starting then.

Steal this Album! is excellent I suspect it's probably because it's overall songs with more Serj influence than Daron and that's why they were left over from their recording sessions around the Toxicity era

Hypnotize/Mezmerize is almost wholly unlistenable to me and I don't think its coincidence that's it's peak Daron Malakian in control

These new songs are pretty much exactly what I always expected we'd get if/when we ever got new System of a Down - nothing interesting.

Also if you watch some of their performances the last decade its also clear Serj's voice has not aged well at all. He was always a bit more "frontman" than "singer" and the performance early on was always more based in energy than singing. Though he clearly had a voice, I'm not saying couldn't sing at all, it's just not realistic to expect anything coming from System of a Down now to be anything like the System of a Down we remember, regardless of Daron Malakian's control issues.
    This is pretty much how I feel, well said. Some feel of the tracks from Steal! sometimes reflect the sound from S/T like "Johnny" imo, even though the band said the tracks were recorded in the same quality as Toxicity. I'll never forget seeing "Toxicity II" on Winmx back in the day and being utterly confused.

Steal This Album! Is Serj and Dolmayan's fave SOAD album and it makes sense I suppose. Their first three albums still work for me, but I'll admit a lot of Mezmerize I cannot stand now, but Hypnotize still has some solid tracks on it.

Poking around on wiki, they have Serj listed for all lyrics written (Except where noted) for the first three albums, with Daron being head of the music for every album. The lyrics for Mezmerize/Hypnotize, it lists Daron's name first next to Serj. Wish I had my cds handy to check the notes, this is interesting lol.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 11-11-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    I'll never forget when Toxicity first came out, and the whole band was going to be in NYC at Tower Records to sign autographs. I skipped school that day (I was in high school at the time) and obviously didn't tell my parents. Then the next week September 11th happened - I promised myself to tell my parents if I ever skipped school again. Hah. :-P