Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    If more bands would regularly tour Hawaii I would move there.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Shake Dog Shake
    A Night Like This
    Push
    In Between Days
    Primary
    Kyoto Song
    Screw
    Pictures of You
    Closedown
    High
    The End of the World
    Lovesong
    Just Like Heaven
    Jupiter Crash
    From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
    Want
    The Hungry Ghost
    One Hundred Years
    Give Me It

It Can Never Be the Same
    Burn

Never Enough
    Fascination Street
    Wrong Number

Lullaby
    The Caterpillar
    The Walk
    Friday I'm In Love

Hot Hot Hot!!!
    Let's Go To Bed
    Close to Me
    Why Can't I Be You?
    Boys Don't Cry
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-17-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was at the Hawaii show last night. It was epic. That last encore had the entire arena on their feet. Wish I was able to make it to the 2nd show tonight.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Plainsong
    Pictures of You
    Closedown
    High
    A Night Like This
    Push
    In Between Days
    Friday I'm in Love
    Just Like Heaven
    If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
    All I Want
    Lovesong
    Sleep When I'm Dead
    Want
    alt.end
    Prayers for Rain
    Disintegration

At Night
    M
    Play for Today
    A Forest

Lullaby
    Fascination Street
    Never Enough
    Wrong Number

The Lovecats
    Hot Hot Hot!!!
    The Caterpillar
    Close to Me

The Walk
    Let's Go to Bed
    Why Can't I Be You?
    Boys Don't Cry
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-18-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I thought it would be fun to remix/pull apart/adjust that crazy Ukraine bootleg tracklist, so I started doing so. I thought I'd call my meta-virtual-bootleg "Dots and Dashes" in honour of Join The Dots (I'm sure it's been used before, but whatevs)

https://jmtd.net/music/cure_dashes/

I plan to sort the stuff I haven't pulled out of the main tracklist by date-ish, and sub-divide into sections (not CDs, as such, since this doesn't actually exist but if it did would be a digital only thing) by Cure "Era" (probably mostly corresponding to albums). Still plenty to do here. I'm not sure whether I want to keep in all the late period remixes (6 Wrong Numbers, etc.), I'd rather be interesting than completist, but maybe those remixes have some merit, I haven't tried them yet.

I'm not a big fan of the Live tracks being there either, I guess they were b-sides on various single releases for the most part; having said htat, I probably *would* want to put in select tracks from Peel sessions etc if they had some particular merit: Desperate Journalist springs to mind as something that should be there.

Suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by jmtd; 07-18-2016 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I thought it would be fun to remix/pull apart/adjust that crazy Ukraine bootleg tracklist, so I started doing so. I thought I'd call my meta-virtual-bootleg "Dots and Dashes" in honour of Join The Dots (I'm sure it's been used before, but whatevs)

https://jmtd.net/music/cure_dashes/

I plan to sort the stuff I haven't pulled out of the main tracklist by date-ish, and sub-divide into sections (not CDs, as such, since this doesn't actually exist but if it did would be a digital only thing) by Cure "Era" (probably mostly corresponding to albums). Still plenty to do here. I'm not sure whether I want to keep in all the late period remixes (6 Wrong Numbers, etc.), I'd rather be interesting than completist, but maybe those remixes have some merit, I haven't tried them yet.

I'm not a big fan of the Live tracks being there either, I guess they were b-sides on various single releases for the most part; having said htat, I probably *would* want to put in select tracks from Peel sessions etc if they had some particular merit: Desperate Journalist springs to mind as something that should be there.
    Where is Tape (Intro) from? Not a studio version is it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Where is Tape (Intro) from? Not a studio version is it?
    It's this one

edit: could be from sideshow but the lengths don't quite agree https://www.discogs.com/Cure-Sideshow/release/351595
    Last edited by jmtd; 07-19-2016 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tonight here in Australia at the Splendour In The Grass festival in Byron Bay (I'm not there - will be at the following Sydney gig on Monday night) -

Edit: forgot the NZ set. Here it is here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cu...-33ff0cbd.html

Plainsong
    Pictures of You
    Closedown
    High
    A Night Like This
    Sleep When I'm Dead
    Push
    In Between Days
    Friday I'm in Love
    The End of the World
    Lovesong
    Just Like Heaven
    From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
    Want
    The Hungry Ghost
    Disintegration

Shake Dog Shake
    Burn
    A Forest

Fascination Street
    Never Enough
    Wrong Number

Lullaby
    The Caterpillar
    The Walk
    Close to Me

Hot Hot Hot!!!
    Let's Go to Bed
    Why Can't I Be You?
    Boys Don't Cry
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-23-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Thanks! Mine isn't til tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The show was great but I have a problem.

I used 2 SD cards, one for the main show and the other for 6 tracks. The latter SD card detected the card and 6 of the HD videos I recorded, but I remember dropping the first one accidentally. Now both my camera and PC aren't detecting the card - nothing happens at all with the laptop and the camera says "try another SD card" or "SD card not detected". And this is the card with the whole of the main show on it...

Is there any way I can recover the data? It looks like it may have been stepped on :-/

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    From my research, this is the only place with any hope...

http://recoverfab.com

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Here's one I do have access to:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Some more:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    From my research, this is the only place with any hope...

http://recoverfab.com

I've sent it here so hopefully the other videos can be recovered. That's all for now until I hear back from these guys.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Good luck with your videos Ryan.

I'm really hoping we'll see some good footage surface from the Bestival show at the weekend. It was quite late in the day before I realised there was a live stream (via Red Bull?) being broadcast. Not that I have the technical know-how to record it myself. I'm sure somebody must have worked it out though.

Anyway, in place of that I'm listening to this multi-cam fan film from the spring 2014 London shows:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    They couldn't retrieve it. Oh well.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    hahahahahaha:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think he's got something good with that song. Fucking extraordinary indeed!!!!!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Give me a 7'' single of it please

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Seeing them next week!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    OK! First time seeing the Cure for 7 years, first time in Manchester for 12 years. (they haven't played my hometown for nearer 30 years, so Manchester is as near as "home" as we get)

On the one hand, after 70+ nights on their current tour (if you consider all their 2016 activity to be the same tour), Manchester was a full 45 minutes or so shorter than any of the other nights. The shortest set of the entire tour. Thanks 2016, you keep on giving!

But on the other, it was a fantastic gig. Some great stuff. Some surprises, "Give Me It" was intense. Almost nothing from this century, interestingly ("The Hungry Ghost" was the only cut from the last three albums).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, it looks like Robert's been fighting a cold for much of the European tour. Really unfortunate, but this has been a fairly grueling year of touring, considering their age and the typical length of their shows.

Give Me It (and The Top!) was definitely the highlight of the Chicago shows this tour. More than I could've even hoped for. So glad I finally got that one live!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Seems that Robert has basically said that Manchester was cut short because he didn't like the crowd, which sucks. That was my day out of the year. We bought our tickets nearly 12 months before the gig; we scrimped and saved to get the hotels and travel sorted; I had my first kid this year and taking time out to do this from my family obligations is no small thing, it literally was my friends and I having our year's worth of partying in one day. We got in early, we watched all the support, we danced and sang and clapped and screamed in the nosebleed seats which were the only ones we could get, whilst queues of standing folks who turned up late stood on the stairs next to us waiting to get down the the floor (it took 20 minutes to get the queues down!) and we were essentially punished because other people didn't behave as Bob would have liked them to. And of course, London get three storming full length nights on the trot after us, including stuff like "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" which only got 5 outings on the whole tour.

I did think actually, mid way through the gig, how static the floor looked. I couldn't see anyone moving at all during "100 years" which was when I looked, admittedly that's not a crowd pleaser but still, not even at the front...

I mean I should have known LDN would get the goods, it always does - on the NIN/JA tour we got a good show and then LDN got Now I'm Nothing and Gary Numan guesting on two songs 24 hours later. I do prefer travelling to Manchester than London though, as a city to party or shop or spend time in afterwards, Manchester beats London hands down imho. (and I was born in London so it gets a handicap anyway)

Having said that, at the time we loved it, it was, despite being cut short, despite the crowd problems, still a great gig, everyone loved it, and we partied late into the night afterwards like we were 10 years younger than we are. If I hadn't had a kid I'd probably have done MCR + LDN or some quantity of LDN shows (I did say to myself after NIN/JA that's what I'd do)

I wonder if there are any good recordings of these shows (particularly "my" MCR show). I was thinking, there's loads and loads of YT vids of gigs now, and Periscope and that, but are the original quality tapers still doing the goods, or is that dying and being squeezed out? I'm yet to look, dime is on my TODO list later this aft.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Dime has good boots of all three London shows; one taper did all three, another taper did the first night (total 4 shows so far). I haven't found any Manchester recordings yet, if anyone knows of one please PM me. Going to shortlist YT vids at some point.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I'm a pretty big Cure fan & finally saw them twice last year after trying in vain for 25+ years. They were phenomenal. For me, them & NIN are pretty much equal on the list of favorite bands. I post a lot on the Cure Fan Forum. I just found this site. Anyway, I had a thought awhile back that I'd like to put up here. It has been a real long time since the Cure released anything. From the last tour, obviously some songs are ready. They are free agents label-wise. After the last few records, I think Robert needs a good producer to work with. Someone who was empathic. So, here's my evil plan: Trent signs the Cure to his label & co-produces a new record with Atticus & Robert (I'd let Reeves Gabrels have some input, too). Maybe bring Alessandro Cortini to the party, too. I think Robert Smith has at least 1 more great record in him & Trent could be the guy to bring it out. Obviously, Robert has been an influence. I think Trent could possibly add something & provide a much needed (at least in the studio) kick in the ass. It could be volatile but a lot of times that brings out the best in all parties. While we're at it, dare I say it, how about a co-headlining tour? Maybe with some crossover between bands ala the tour with Bowie. I saw that one & it is waaaaay up on the great concerts that I've witnessed list. My evil ex hated the show because Bowie wasn't playing "hits". It should've been a sign to me, haha. What say you? I know I'm in rock fantasy land but if we're dreaming best go for the gusto!