Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weezer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    so now there's a new version of the White Album? da fuck....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I quite like all the bonus tracks! Sucks that they didn't include the Japanese bonus track Prom Night, but I already got that track via... other means. Fake Smiles and Nervous Laughter sounds like a Green Album/Summer Songs 2K track.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    new album out this Summer

sadly looks like they have taken a step backwards again after releasing what I thought was a good effort

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I do admit to being taken aback by the sound, but it's grown on me. I learned long ago to not fully judge a Weezer track outside the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Kinda like it. I'll give Weezer the pass to go mainstream pop that I won't give to Linkin Park.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have mixed feelings about the Black album but this song is awesome and really made me feel something:

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    I couldn't get past the first two songs...

Man, this album sounds awful!

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    It's definitely more poppier than normal - but after listening to them, I find myself singing them. Def catchy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I definitely have mixed feelings towards their black album, which I was expecting/hoping (perhaps foolishly) to feature more serious songs more in line with The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, Only in Dreams, Across the Sea, etc. I expected it to deal with heavier themes and more adult subject matter, though I didn't ever think they'd abandon the poppy, lighthearted stuff either. My favorite track on the album is definitely High As a Kite, but Zombie Bastards is also a highlight. I find it a bit perplexing that a nearly 6-month old song (California Snow, which also might be my least favorite) made it onto the album, but some of my other favorite artists have done the same thing (sometimes with much older songs like APC's By and Down), so I'll let that go.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like the Black Album. More pop than in the past but, as always, with underlying sadness/loneliness. I don't need another version of something they've done before.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patj825 View Post
    I like the Black Album. More pop than in the past but, as always, with underlying sadness/loneliness. I don't need another version of something they've done before.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the fans that's always clamoring that new Weezer sucks and saying they haven't been good since Blue & Pinkerton (though those ARE the best albums). I am usually defending Weezer and I actually think that Everything Will Be Alright in the End and the White Album were among their best albums. Like Pacific Daydream before it, the Black Album is mostly just okay with a few great gems mixed in (I absolutely loved Sweet Mary on Pacific Daydream).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I expected worse.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I will readily admit to being one of those fans that more or less stopped following them after the Green Album. Heck, first time I saw them was back in the time when it wasn't exactly clear when, if at all, the green album was going to be released.

Fast forward to this year: saw them at a club in Tokyo, and they blew me away. I don't think there was a single song in that set that made me think "ugh, get on with it". And it was one of the best examples of a 90's-era band whose singer still sounds almost exactly like he did back then. Didn't have to go to lower octaves; wasn't flat on high notes...Rivers sounded freaking great.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I am a pretty big fan of their newest single though

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    I like it too

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, a few of the newer Weezer singles have been great! I really like the melody and I love the strings (violin & cello) on All My Favorite Songs, but The End of the Game and Hero were also great. It's a little strange that OK Human comes out this Friday, yet the album that was supposed to come out in May, 2020 (Van Weezer) still isn't out yet. My guess is that they wanted to hold back the more classic, rocking Weezer album so that one's fresher when their Hella Mega tour finally happens.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-25-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yeah, a few of the newer Weezer singles have been great! I really like the melody and I love the strings (violin & cello) on All My Favorite Songs, but The End of the Game and Hero were also great. It's a little strange that OK Human comes out this Friday, yet the album that was supposed to come out in May, 2020 (Van Weezer) still isn't out yet. My guess is that they wanted to hold back the more classic, rocking Weezer album so that one's fresher when their Hella Mega tour finally happens.
    What happened is that the album was indeed prepared as a promo for Meag Tour so the label delayed the album.

OK Human was in development for like 2 years and the band tehmselves preferred it and wanted to release it first rather than OK Human, thanks to how things turned out they'll get their wish

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Gotta say the new album is absolutely stellar.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    That imagery is giving me flashbacks to finding the Buddy Holly music video on my Windows 95.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Weezer have surprised me this year
    I had no expectations for both Ok Human and Van Weezer. Bought both without listening to any of the singles.

Both have it's moments, Ok Human especially.
    Nothing groundbreaking but good songs to listen to

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They're not quite as good as the fantastic one-two punch that was Everything Will Be Alright in the End and the White Album, but OK Human and Van Weezer are definitely above-average Weezer albums. Van Weezer definitely has some great, rocking songs and is more in line with what the average fan wants or expects from them, but I found OK Human to be a refreshing new spin on Weezer's usual formula and the addition of the orchestra blended extremely well with their songs. It's kind of crazy that they've already released two albums this year and while neither is completely without its faults, I'm happy to say that both are pretty damn good. Definitely check them out if you're even a fair-weather fan!

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    ^^ agreed. I like OK Human better because it's different.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Looking at my ipod I guess I need to find OK Human.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    ^^ that SNL skit was pretty funny! lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Weezer Blue 30th Super Deluxe Vinyl Box Set (weezerwebstore.com)

I'm interested in hearing the remaster but I dunno about $250. Also it's a weird thing to charge an extra $150 just for a sweater? Oh, well I guess it's also signed so there's that:
    signed by, Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Brian Bell, and Scott Shriner.
    Wait a minute...where's Matt Sharp?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw their Voyage to the Blue Planet show in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago. They put on a great 2 hour show with impressive set design, and they played the Blue Album in full. Seems like a natural evolution from their Road Trip tour from last year.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    Saw their Voyage to the Blue Planet show in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago. They put on a great 2 hour show with impressive set design, and they played the Blue Album in full. Seems like a natural evolution from their Road Trip tour from last year.
    My wife and I were there in the pit! Definitely a great show! I agree about it being a natural evolution from their Road Trip tour. I was elated to hear them play Burnt Jamb and Why Bother?, which are two of my favorite Weezer songs. It was my 10th time seeing them and I'd never seen them play either of those two songs before.