Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I understand that I'm a bit more invested in this franchise than your usual friday night moviegoer. It's just -- I don't know. I hate this evolution so much. Why does the most important character of the series need to get dumber and dumber? What's the deal with that? And most importantly, where's the fucking heart? The emotional aspects of this new one were so forced, it's as if they barely tried to make you really root for the characters. Everything's so shallow. The whole deal with Will's son would've been the perfect setup for a strong emotional connection between him and Jack. There were a lot of parallels and possibilites for great writing. The old, interesting part about Jack's character would've used all the things he knew about Will and his son for his own good and would've tried everything just so he'd be able to save his own skin. But, and that's the important part, he'd show his true nature in the very end: He's a good guy, he has a heart, and he cares about his friends and is even willing to sacrifice himself for that.

Anything remotely close to that happening today? Nope. He's a drunk idiot. Nothing more than a clown who's passively dragged through the story with a couple of bad jokes now and then. 0% wit. 0% mystery.

I know it's a bit lengthy, but for those interested, here's a clip that's trying to show what's so genius about the first movie. Although everybody's entitled to their own opinion, I think we can all agree that all of the sequels, especially the last two, fail to capture that tone. I just don't get the need for blockbusters getting more and more easy. Obviously the producers are going where the money is, but I just can't understand it. Hence my admittedly provocative comment about shit taste.

Last edited by niggo; 06-04-2017 at 05:40 AM.