Watched it again yesterday and no, Logan was a mediocre movie. I can't believe how overly invested people become with an X-Men movie. While it indeed switches up the formula a bit and plays more on the emotional side combining it with an R-Rating it only shines that bright because it follows movies that didn't even try to deliver the matter in a serious way. So while that movie was the best we've seen from Wolverine in the cinematic universe together with the last scene of Apocalypse and parts of Days of Future's Past, this movie gives nothing to me, it's proposed depth is rather shallow compared to other critically acclaimed movies and hype is surreal.

With that being said, the overthinking that goes on with comic book movies these days just baffles me. They are essentially kids movies or aimed at a fan audience while being approachably by casual enthusiasts as well. But please stop making these movies seem like there's more to it other than fun, furious action, copious amounts of (mostly well done) CGI and some A-list actors involved. It's a roller coaster ride, sometimes a really entertaining one, but as @r_z pointed out no Schindler's List.