Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    This EP sounds decidedly un-hurried.

Ice age is the first time Reznor and Co have surprised me in years.
    Well that's where we will disagree. Ice age is just about 4 mins too long. This album is boring

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    ...are you listening to this through Skullcandy headphones or something? Even if you don't like it due to some kind of brain abnormality, the tracks sound NOTHING alike
    It is not a brain abnormality to think that 1 thing Reznor shits out actually stinks. So don't get your panties in a wad because someone doesn't like something your precious Trent puts out.

Sorry for the double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post
    The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man, who is also credited for writing "Zero-Sum."
    I'm pretty sure Mariqueen writes all the lyrics for the band.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mariqueen writes all the lyrics for the band.
    I think she writes most of them, but it's all collaborative at the end. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent had a heavier lyrical involvement in On The Wing, for example

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    It's the Closer hi hat, I'm telling you! (from my earlier post @ 792)
    hahaha.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

I haven't really delved into Mariqueen's, nor Atticus' back catalog so it is hard for me to draw comparisons how each entity influenced the music of HTDA.
    There is definite familiarities in sound from previous work, but it's all bubbling up from the same psyche...
    Last edited by somethingelse; 11-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is nothing on this album I don't like. I just want more now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If anyone's interested, I think I have it pretty close (though I'm sure the whispered lines at the end have a couple more variation that I can't make out) http://www.ninwiki.com/Speaking_In_Tongues#Lyrics

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My quick thoughts, with spoilerz:

A vast improvement over the first EP, with a more unified sound, for sure! I was tricked by the album cover, as the songs are a bit warmer than Rob's art lets on. I definitely agree with comparison's of TR's work with Saul; I don't like summing up music like this, but, it's like Niggy Tardust + TGWTDT. It's completely cool. HTDA don't produce Classic, Thematic Songs like "The Fragile," "Something I Can Never Have," or "Zero-Sum" (though "A Drowning" comes close), and I'm fine with that. Lyrics here kind of take a backseat for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fucking awesome EP actually, Keep it Together is good and maybe the weakest song on the album. Ice Age is such a great song, didn't except it and love it. none of the songs are bad,

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morad View Post
    The only difference is that the guy who wrote that was a 20-something year old boy, and this is a 40-something-year-old man
    Exactly, so why are you so down on it?

And repetitive lyrics have always been a part of the Nine Inch Nails arsenal in one way or another. That brings me to another point: why does How To Destroy Angels have to change everything or else it's a miserable failure? That's just a ridiculous notion to me. Some things just work, and anybody who expects this to be such a radical departure from Nine Inch Nails have only themselves to blame if they're disappointed. I get it if it's just not your thing and you much prefer the sound of anything from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but saying "This is too Nine Inch Nails!" doesn't strike me as something to complain about. Nine Inch Nails IS in the band, no? It's going to sound similar. I mean, when Trent said it was going to be a bit different, did you expect a folk record or something? If so, see my previous point about having no one else to blame. I've seen enough differences in this band to justify seeing it as separate entity that still has one foot in that sound I've grown to love, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you hate the sound, cool, but this whole business of hating it because it might not be a major difference is fucking ridiculous.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Exactly, so why are you so down on it?

And repetitive lyrics have always been a part of the Nine Inch Nails arsenal in one way or another. That brings me to another point: why does How To Destroy Angels have to change everything or else it's a miserable failure? That's just a ridiculous notion to me. Some things just work, and anybody who expects this to be such a radical departure from Nine Inch Nails have only themselves to blame if they're disappointed. I get it if it's just not your thing and you much prefer the sound of anything from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral, but saying "This is too Nine Inch Nails!" doesn't strike me as something to complain about. Nine Inch Nails IS in the band, no? It's going to sound similar. I mean, when Trent said it was going to be a bit different, did you expect a folk record or something? If so, see my previous point about having no one else to blame. I've seen enough differences in this band to justify seeing it as separate entity that still has one foot in that sound I've grown to love, and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you hate the sound, cool, but this whole business of hating it because it might not be a major difference is fucking ridiculous.
    Reminds me of people that would shit on Dave Grohl's early work with Foo Fighters because it sounded like Nirvana. "What, you want me to make a fucking reggae record?"

Of course the album's going to sound similar to NIN, and TSN, and TGWTDT, because it's the same people. You can't just flip a switch and suddenly make music on the opposite spectrum of what you've been doing for over twenty years.

That said, HTDA is definitely different enough in its sound now to establish itself as a truly separate entity, and I think they succeeded with that. The EP is a great listen, and Ice age in particular is incredibly good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If anyone's interested, I think I have it pretty close (though I'm sure the whispered lines at the end have a couple more variation that I can't make out) http://www.ninwiki.com/Speaking_In_Tongues#Lyrics
    I can definitely hear "Speaking in tongues / this has begun" in that last part. Also, this song becomes a lot more sinister when you really listen to the lyrics.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    well done on ALL the lyric pages. I am so incredibly bad at that. I could supply an endless stream to a "misheard lyrics" thread. I suck.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not feeling Ice Age so much (guess i was expecting something else?) But the last three tracks, Sleep of Reason, Loop and Tounges, are all esquisite. Tounges is really experemental for any of these folks to do, i like that.

I was really torn on weather or not to listen to this before the actual release, but im looking forward to checking this out on my actual stereo once i get the FLACs

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow. It's just great! Not sure what else to say, other than I'm glad I used headphones and was uninterrupted for the listen. This is seriously clear and powerful. The mix of traditional instruments & live percussion with the electronics is done brilliantly.

I swear, when "The Sleep..." started I had my eyes closed already. I felt like I was in a dark place and slowly being surrounded by bright orbs circling around me and I was being guided somewhere by this angelic voice. I like how the song shifted.

I do love TRs piano, but I'm happy it was not over used. I'm also happy with them using MQs voice for more than just "singing". She sounds really good. I'm also happy with the amount of arp used. There's a lot to cover and a lot of interesting things they did. I can honestly say that this is a great listen & it goes beyond "music".
    Last edited by snaapz; 11-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    P.S. - Yea, I just listened through again with my PC speakers and the difference is huge compared to my first listen with decent headphones. Unless you have studio monitors, use headphones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I agree that even if i did not know this was Trent i would still like it download it and listen to it a fair bit.

Some tracks have some brilliant sounds, really catch my attention, Ice Age sounds like it could have been on 4AD records. I like the ambient leanings too. 3 tracks are really good which is more than i was expecting. I dont think its the best thing he has done or anything but it is good. Dont love it, but i do like it. Some of Rez's work over past decade i have just not liked at all, but i think this is good.
    NIN had such a varied musicology, but it does not sound like anything he has been involved with before.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    P.S. - Yea, I just listened through again with my PC speakers and the difference is huge compared to my first listen with decent headphones. Unless you have studio monitors, use headphones.
    is a "Denon" amplifier, a "Sunfire" subwoofer and two "JM Labs" speakers also fine?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hi ternt. I no u b reedin dis tred.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    is a "Denon" amplifier, a "Sunfire" subwoofer and two "JM Labs" speakers also fine?
    absolutely, my friend. you're in good shape for listening to any high quality music. just make sure you're not in some weird surround mode (you have no idea how often my customers end up in "Hall In Vienna" or "Mono Movie" on their receivers...)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm gonna be seriously depressed once the LP is out and we have no more HTDA on the horizon. All the waiting has paid off in and extreme way. This EP may have just topped my favourite record of all time. I seriously love it. I really hope they continue with the band after this, not that I have any reason to believe otherwise. Also, I'm sorry HTDA. I kinda downloaded it all. I will be buying it the moment it's out however, I just needed this mobile right now

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished my first listen of the new EP! Bravo, HTDA, bravo! I enjoyed it all.
    A couple of points:
    - Ice Age has got to be on the next Girl Who Played With Fire (if it's ever released, I think that's the next one?)
    - The Loop Closes is going to kick ass in concert.
    - Speaking In Tongues = Goosebumps!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On the topic of The Loop Closes, I don't know what everyone else is complaining about. When Trent starts singing "The beginning is the end" it absolutely blows me away. I seriously couldn't be happier with this EP. And so the wait for the LP begins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't tell whether I love this or the new Deftones album more! That's such a great problem to have!

Going in expecting the same type of vibe from the first ep and KIT I was immediately surprised and happy to hear Ice Age, it's so fantastic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll admit that for what it is, it's good. But it's not really my cup of tea. Maybe it'll grow on me eventually.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I feel kinda "meh" after listening to it once. I'll wait until I get the 12" and listen to it with a good pair of headphones (hello Beats by Dre!)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying this with each new listen.
    Ice Age is so good, I would love to see them ditch more electronic sounds and go for more organic acoustic sounds...tracks like "On The Wing" and "The Loop Closes" could be perfect sounding NIN tracks for a possible new record. All in all, I'm super surprised with An Omen and I'm really glad I'm liking it.

My poor dog is sick and I've been on xanax and now sleeping pills due to my mind being so occupied from all the terrible things going on. This as well as the new Deftones and Crystal Castles are helping me take my mind off everything.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So when's NINWiki's front page gonna be updated with An omen_ EP's pre-order info and things like that?

Oh hey, this was my 200th post. Was it snarky enough?
    Last edited by gorast; 11-09-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: snark

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragile Teeth View Post
    I really like the elements of 3 Ghosts I in the last song on the EP.
    Same here! Speaking in Tongues is my clear favorite so far. The vocals and vibe remind me quite a bit of Fever Ray. I'll have to listen to the others a bit more.
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 11-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.