Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    and as we all know its incedibly important to make ratings in the first place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My "attitude" was toward the "it's not justifyable to review with mp3". I felt like it was "keep your opinion to yourself as it shouldn't be considered".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    and as we all know its incedibly important to make ratings in the first place.
    Ah, but they are important to the "wider audience" that Trent and co. are attempting to reach with HTDA, in fact. The point is to sell the album, the music, and the group itself to more than just us freaks on ETS, and that means trying to bring in people who judge albums based entirely on what random music blogs tell them.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    What? A bad song is bad at 192kpbs and in surround bluray 96-bit 24khz. I mean, I don't think I'll get a better kick at listening at Nickeback on cd. The melody of the song won't mysteriously change.

Yes, the same counts for good songs....
    Last edited by witte; 11-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Hope I don't get too many facepalms for posting a link to my review here

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/201...-with-an-omen/
    Yeah, definite facepalm there. It's cool if someone doesn't care for the EP, but the way some of you guys are going about it is, frankly, annoying. You're not special for being critical of the EP, and you're not special for posting a link to your reviews. Copy and paste that shit here. Seriously.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't understand music reviews to be honest. I've seen my favourite albums criticised relentlessly and some of my most hated albums adored. I've always thought the enjoyement of music breaks down to a much more personal level than the likes of movies or video games. Not that I'm undermining any of the reviews posted here as thats their opinion and I respect that, I just can't imagine being swayed to listen/not listen to something because of the musical tastes of someone else

Edit: Saying that, I am quite interested in seeing how this album goes down with the general public
    Last edited by Shnoorum; 11-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

sigil 03: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Sent that seller a PM a couple of hours ago...

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    God help us if Columbia releases promo CDs.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Thanks......

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    God help us if Columbia releases promo CDs.
    Well, in that case I don't give a flac.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Great, now I want to play it on record, hold my ghetto blaster up to it, record it onto a tape that way, hook it up to my computer and make 32 kbps MP3's then, finally, listen to it that way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    if you listen to music solely for the melodies; yeah. if you watch movies only for the plots, you could review them based on a cam-bootleg too. If you look at paintings only to see the subject depicted, it doesn't matter if you're looking at a crappy photograph under poor light of the painting. But art can be more than the sum of the parts.
    yeah, yeah, yeah

with the invention of 128 kbps mp3 everyone was so fucking happy and now they forgot it

and your arguments are not valid, becouse we`re not talking about a microphone recording of the new HDTA EP played on the radio

it`s an actual recording, dvdrip of the movie, the reproduction of the painting
    Last edited by my voice just; 11-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like an omen overall. I thought "keep it together" was an odd choice for the single, like most folks. though i do enjoy the track. "ice age"... I like it, but it seems a bit out of place. it's nice to have some variety and all, but still just doesn't fit for me. tracks 3-6, however, are very cohesive and form a real vibe for me. also, the first few times i heard "on the wing" i wasn't paying very close attention to lyrics and therefore (maybe due to my love of bowie) heard "i hear the word that's on the wing." Definitely my favorite track. I don't have a problem with the lyrics in "the loop closes" like many seem to. TR sometime writes amazing lyrics and sometime less than amazing, but I find these to totally work and think the song would suffer without them.
    In the end think it's quite good and I'm very excited for the full length.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    I like an omen overall. I thought "keep it together" was an odd choice for the single, like most folks. though i do enjoy the track. "ice age"... I like it, but it seems a bit out of place. it's nice to have some variety and all, but still just doesn't fit for me. tracks 3-6, however, are very cohesive and form a real vibe for me. also, the first few times i heard "on the wing" i wasn't paying very close attention to lyrics and therefore (maybe due to my love of bowie) heard "i hear the word that's on the wing." Definitely my favorite track. I don't have a problem with the lyrics in "the loop closes" like many seem to. TR sometime writes amazing lyrics and sometime less than amazing, but I find these to totally work and think the song would suffer without them.
    In the end think it's quite good and I'm very excited for the full length.
    I honestly wonder if they chose Keep It Together as a single to suprise us even more with the rest of the EP. I absolutely adored Keep It Together but it was the sort of moody atmosphere'd track I was expecting from the EP. As soon as Ice Age started playing I sat there in awe, I didn't see it coming at all.

Ice Age was my favourite track untill I heard the EP on headphones. On The Wing took over after that. That song seriously does something to me, such a beautiful sound to it. Such a hard sound to explain but when that chorus kicks in it seriously blows my mind.

Definately with you on The Loop Closes. The whole song builds up to it in an awesomely catchy way. Trents voice is as powerfull as ever, it completed the track perfectly in my eyes.

I've stated that this EP may possibly be my favourite record ever made and I thought maybe it was just my personal over excitement taking over. After a good 50 listens to it later and it's still going strong. My god, this LP can't come soon enough!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    I honestly wonder if they chose Keep It Together as a single to suprise us even more with the rest of the EP.
    I'd be pretty shocked, given TR's comments about wanting to give this band the best shot possible in reaching the broadest audience possible. The techdirt interview in particular indicated to me that he's thinking more about wooing others instead of thinking about what we* think.

*the royal we, NIN fans in general

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I'd be pretty shocked, given TR's comments about wanting to give this band the best shot possible in reaching the broadest audience possible. The techdirt interview in particular indicated to me that he's thinking more about wooing others instead of thinking about what we* think.

*the royal we, NIN fans in general
    Yeah I suppose, it would be quite a risk to release a single just to suprise people. Still, I do find it an odd choice for a single. I would think Ice Age would probably be the best choice when it comes to accessibility. I could easily see Ice Age gathering a lot of attention while Keep It Together may be a bit of an aquired taste. Anyway, they've been around for a long time now, I have no doubt they know what they're doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    That song seriously does something to me, such a beautiful sound
    it has beat from outer space! makes me twitch and smile

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually thought Keep It Together was a good choice for single, given the choice of songs present on the EP. Given TR's track record of releasing singles, they're almost always tracks with a fairly standard pop-song like structure. In that respect that only really leaves Ice Age and On The Wing as other options. I think if we'd heard Ice Age first we would've expected a completely different EP to what we got, and judging by the (mostly) positive reactions of this thread to that song I think it's a good thing it was left to take us by surprise. I think that goes for the general public as well as TR fans. On The Wing would've been a decent single too but it's pretty hard to hear some of whats being sung and between the two I think it sounds like a deeper cut. It's also my favorite track.

I'd love to see a video for On The Wing though, even if it's just the same sort of thing as the Keep It Together vid. Just downloaded the EP on iTunes, looking forward to hearing in higher quality but I think hearing it on vinyl is gonna be the deal sealer for me. The more you listen, the better this thing gets!
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 11-12-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Rambled (Some more)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would love to see a studio video of On The Wing. The one for Keep It Together was really awesome. Damn fine looking group of people aswell I must say.

I may be getting above my station here but I'm also hearing

Cast aside
    This great divide
    Foolish Pride
    We wait

On the third verse of On The Wing
    Last edited by Shnoorum; 11-12-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Responding to last post instead of spamming the thread further :3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The great divide... http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2origin/1494228392/

Zeroes and ones..

Just sayin yo.
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 11-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is that not Trent singing alongside Mariqueen in On The Wing? Definitely doesn't sound like him, but it's hard to tell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Is that not Trent singing alongside Mariqueen in On The Wing? Definitely doesn't sound like him, but it's hard to tell.
    I thought the same at first but when I heard it with headphones a few times it started to sound more like him. Still not 100% but I'm fairly certain it's him anyway

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sounds just like Trent to me!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got my link from topspin to download!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah, me too. Hi-def EP here I come!

It even came with a PDF booklet, I'm very pleased.
    Last edited by gorast; 11-12-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    what res is the hi-def?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm not trying to stir things up here, but I asked for the MP3 version and just opened up the zip file in winRAR. Does anyone else see the Date Modified tab as various dates? Or is my PC being retarded?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I have the Apple Lossless version and it did the same thing, different dates though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: sigil 03: An omen EP_

ARGGG!!!!!!

Someone had to say it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2