Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Classic Rock

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I watched the recent documentary about Jaco Pastorius, and it talks about how in the mid-to-late 70's, their was a crossover between rock and jazz audiences. This extended to the more free-form radio as well.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-21-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah, yes. Classic rock. What I listened mainly to as a kid, thanks to it being my father's default radio station and it making up the majority of his record collection. Prior to the age of 14, when Florida got hit by multiple hurricanes (during the second one, an alternative rock station was one of the only radio stations still on the air; that opened me up to more recent music), the closest things to "modern" I normally listened to were NIN and Nirvana. In recent years, I haven't quite looped back into primarily classic rock, but I've included more 70s music since my first years in the UK, albeit mainly on the prog side of things (Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Rush, Alan Parsons Project, etc.) as well as Bowie.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I watched the recent documentary about Jaco Pastorius, and it talks about how in the mid-to-late 70's, their was a crossover between rock and jazz audiences. This extended to the more free-form radio as well.

This is really true, it's why that above Stanley Clarke song was HUGE.

So was this:

Last edited by allegro; 07-10-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Had no idea these two worked together. Great song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Deep Purole album, Infinite, is excellent.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    This song is fucking awesome. Deep Purple still has the goods.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nice. Seeing Deep Purple this summer with Alice. I thought Infinite was one of the best Purple albums from the Morse-era.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-24-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This should be emotional and excellent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Alice Cooper is a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ted Nugent wasn't this big of a douch in 1975, didn't give a shit about politics and spent all his time hunting deer and chicks, so it's easy for me to remember and separate that. When "Double Live Gonzo!" was out (1978), Ted was a rock God (especially in Detroit). 30 years later, he became a boring old crazy right-wing weirdo and moved to Texas. (He was always stupid but, come on, guitarists aren't paid to be smart.)
    My girlfriend lives in Michigan ran into him at a butcher's shop recently. Quite honestly, differences aside I've heard he's a nice guy. Mikael from Opeth wrote a funny little thing on his MySpace a long time ago about watching him clean up other band's messes backstage during a festival.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    When Ted Nugent was in his prime, he was the sexiest man who ever walked the earth. Nobody ever looked as good as he did in a loincloth. You can hate him for his politics, but he can still rip a guitar solo like no one's business. Ted has never been into drugs or alcohol. He's just high on life... and music.
    Last edited by Boots; 11-11-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is now a full-length doc, available to watch on Amazon Prime. Honestly it's not too bad for a doc made on a pretty shoe-string budget but I have a feeling it would have made for a better book.

I'm not big on live shows much, but would have loved to have seen a place like the Fillmore or The Warehouse in it's prime.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I go out fishing tonight with the husband. There's a ton of boats near our spot and some long flat boat is hauling fireworks. So long story short, Lynyrd Skynyrd is playing a private concert at a house in Wayzata, MN. Might have been connected to dinner charity sponsored by the Cambria family from what I hear. Anyhow, boaters could watch free from the lake. Of course we are too far away to see. I suspect they are facing away from the lake. So here we sit in the dark, fishing, listening, catching only one crappie. Nice evening.

Edit: I would be crying if it were NIN and I was stuck far away on the boat and not in front.
    Last edited by sinspots; 08-15-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I don't know if Harry Nilsson would be considered "classic rock", but I can't stop listening to Harry Nilsson lately. Such an underrated genius.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The new Monkees live album, The Mike and Micky Show is excellent. They still sound great and play some hits but also a lot of deep album cuts. Album and backup band sound great too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Watched this last night. Does a better job of covering the A-Z of the California scene than Echo in the Canyon which isn't bad by any means, but has a few obvious lingering weaknesses to it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)