Thread: Stand Up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I love Doug Stanhope but instead of arguing I'm gonna post some more stand-up I like.

With the possible exception of "black Trevor" and the "who likes smooth jazz?" non sequitur that was terrible. What do you like about Stanhope? Can you recommend some bits that could convince me ?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    With the possible exception of "black Trevor" and the "who likes smooth jazz?" non sequitur that was terrible. What do you like about Stanhope? Can you recommend some bits that could convince me ?
    It was kind of purposely 'terrible.' Weinbach is very into the absurd type of humor. It's definitely an acquired taste but it's a league apart from hacks who just happen to be terrible.

I'm not sure if I could convince you that Stanhope is good if you already don't like him. His type of humor is pretty up-front. I listen to him less lately as I've gotten far more into the aforementioned absurd humor and less into the anti-establishment guys-making-a-statement type of humor, but here are a few of my favorite bits.

And for context, I'm the furthest from any sort of alt-right personality. I'm very liberal and I hate that shit. It's easy to lump Stanhope in with that crowd or the Bill Burr types (meh) at first glance but I wouldn't place him in there at all. He's raunchy and shits on certain groups, but I've never gleaned any hateful vibes from him or any of that nonsense.

I also hate religion, hate breeding, love drugs, etc.

I'll use this opportunity to plug another one of my favorite comedians, a lesser known dude who needs way more attention. This guy slays me every time. Not all good stand-up hits you with real laugh-out-loud moments, but Nate Bargatze knows just right where to get me.