Page 44 of 98 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2914

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Whatever, my point was that your post forgot that revolvers exist.
    All the 5rd regulation (that Rhett was responding to) goes after guns with magazines. Revolvers are almost always ignored by gun control.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    can someone who might know more about this explain why the five round thing doesn't seem like a completely arbitrary restriction?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    somebody who knows how to use a weapon will get just as much damage out of 5 rounds that someone else might get shooting off 10 or 15. 5 rounds is still 5 dead, and if it's multiple weapons, then the deaths multiply. a sharpshooter can be infinitely more dangerous than someone who just sprays lead.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    somebody who knows how to use a weapon will get just as much damage out of 5 rounds that someone else might get shooting off 10 or 15. 5 rounds is still 5 dead, and if it's multiple weapons, then the deaths multiply. a sharpshooter can be infinitely more dangerous than someone who just sprays lead.
    I'm not weighing in on the issue one way or the other, but this is just a logically unsound argument.

By the exact same logic, somebody who knows how to use a weapon will get more damage out of 15 rounds than someone else might get shooting off 20 or 1000 rounds... but with two people who are equally matched in skill, the guy with more bullets does more damage... so what exactly is the argument here?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The question isn't "why limit" but more so, why is the number 5 and not 4 or 6?
    If you find an answer, I'd love to hear. Those limits tend to be fairly arbitrary, much like the majority of gun control. Just look at the magazine restrictions across the country:

CA & MD - 10rds but you can buy higher capacity ones out of state.
    NY - 7rds and you can satisfy this by only loading your 10rd magazine to 7rds
    OH - if it has more than 31rds, it magically becomes an "automatic" weapon.
    CO - 15rds
    etc..

So, why 5? Because it's closer to 0. And this is another reason why gun owners are starting to refuse to budge anymore. They realize the slippery slope argument is extremely applicable here.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 12-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Chicago's ban on the sale and transfer of guns just got overturned for being unconstitutional.

This comes after last year's overturn on the concealed carry ban and the 2010 overturn on their gun ban.

http://www.thedailyheap.com/federal-...constitutional

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Man was shot and killed for texting in a theater.

Suspect is a retired police officer. In other words, a good guy with a gun.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post

Fucking Florida Man, at it again.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

but... we can only trust police with the guns!

PS: being attached to police doesn't magically make you a good guy unless you are some authoritarian douchebag

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    The guy got so pissed off that he was texting during the previews, that he ran over to inform the management before returning to his seat and continuing to harass the guy about his horribly offensive texting...

I would have thrown my bag of popcorn at him too... and I guess, if I lived in Florida, I'd have been shot by some grumpy trigger-happy ex-cop.

The movie hadn't even started yet! What the hell is this guy's problem, besides the fact that he'll shoot someone for throwing popcorn at him.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    but... we can only trust police with the guns!

PS: being attached to police doesn't magically make you a good guy unless you are some authoritarian douchebag
    I assumed that being a Captain meant that you did some good during your time in the force.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 01-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I assumed that being a Captain meant that you did some good during your time in the force.
    I agree, I think this guy is just an old man in a new world who just completely lost it.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I am seriously enjoying this drama:
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014...-assault-rifle

"It looks like it has a boner," said another.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Phallic imagery isn't a new or uncommon thing, but if you look at that and see a penis, you're desperately looking for it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Why is it then that the most vocal opponents of gun control in the US also oppose things like public-option universal healthcare, stronger welfare programs and public education?

Seriously, it boggles the mind.
    Because conservatives live in an alternate reality.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is where I graduated from, really sucks. Apparently it was a targeted shooting of a TA, not sure of the reason yet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Can someone kindly explain the gun laws in USA? I don't live in the States so I don't really know.

Why do I see youtube videos of people walking the streets with guns on them, police do nothing other than ask what they are doing. Act like all is normal.

Why do I watch cops and see cops arrest and abuse people for carrying a gun. Cops act like the just discovered a major crime. The person faces jail time, prison &/or fines.

Which is it??????????????
    Can you carry or not?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Can someone kindly explain the gun laws in USA? I don't live in the States so I don't really know.

Why do I see youtube videos of people walking the streets with guns on them, police do nothing other than ask what they are doing. Act like all is normal.

Why do I watch cops and see cops arrest and abuse people for carrying a gun. Cops act like the just discovered a major crime. The person faces jail time, prison &/or fines.

Can you carry or not?
    It varies by state. Many/most states have laws against concealed guns... meaning that it needs to be visible on you when you have it in public, under specific legal guidelines. Also, depends on the kind of gun. Some second amendment advocates like to flaunt the right to carry a gun in public by doing "demonstrations" where they all show up at a starbucks and play with their guns in public or whatever... but for the most part, you don't see citizens walking around with guns.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

Can you carry or not?
    There are Open Carry states.

And there are Concealed Carry states.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It varies by state. Many/most states have laws against concealed guns... meaning that it needs to be visible on you when you have it in public, under specific legal guidelines. Also, depends on the kind of gun. Some second amendment advocates like to flaunt the right to carry a gun in public by doing "demonstrations" where they all show up at a starbucks and play with their guns in public or whatever... but for the most part, you don't see citizens walking around with guns.
    The demonstrations generally only happen in areas that are moving more toward gun-control. You aren't going to provoke a response by open carrying in a location where the citizens don't panic at the sight of a gun. There are plenty of people who are pro-gun rights that believe this method is counter-productive.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The demonstrations generally only happen in areas that are moving more toward gun-control. You aren't going to provoke a response by open carrying in a location where the citizens don't panic at the sight of a gun. There are plenty of people who are pro-gun rights that believe this method is counter-productive.
    Case in point: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...-costume-ak-47

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Best part of that article was a post from yesterday:
    If he needs to cover bail, there's always money in the banana stand.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Best part of that article was a post from yesterday:
    lulz. I'm telling you dude, you need to go call Seth Myers and write jokes for him. I mean really.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    California gun control people are freaking out about yesterday's 9th circuit finding. In 2012 they dug themselves into a hole by banning open carry ontop of that already almost-banned concealed carry laws. The finding basically says that you can ban one or the other, but not both. So, the court threw out the concealed carry restrictions of San Diego (because that was what the suit was about).

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c...,1930416.story

This also impacts Hawaii.

UCLA professor Adam Winkler, citing the 2012 ban on the open carrying of guns, said: "Gun control advocates have no one but themselves to blame for this ruling. You have to give someone some option to carry a gun."

Meanwhile, the Brady Campaign responds with predictably emotional bullshit: "The parents of Jordan Davis and Trayvon Martin, whose children were killed by licensed concealed-carry holders, could educate the Court about the real dangers posed by this legal error. We are hopeful that this mistake will be corrected by the entire Court."

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I decided to put this in this thread since it is a gun related news item.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/15/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

Jury is apparently deadlocked on the murder count.
    They have reached a verdict on the other 4 counts.

Looks like a mistrial.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-15-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    So, a local gun store managed to block a raid from the ATF with a restraining order. They literally had the ATF and their warrant turn around at the front door with this. I didn't even know that such a thing was possible. This is absolutely amazing to me. I'm sure @allegro has some input, but placing a restraining order on a government agency seems so crazy to me... especially if it has the power to block a warranted raid.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...t-atf-n1808563

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...y-study-finds/

"A study by two New York City cardiologists found that the U.S. has 88 guns per 100 people and 10 gun-related deaths per 100,000 people — more than any of the other 27 developed countries they studied.

Japan, on the other hand, had only .6 guns per 100 people and .06 gun-related deaths per 100,000 people, making it the country with both the fewest guns per capita and the fewest gun-related deaths."

Damn. that's a damn near perfect direct relationship.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Anytime someone uses a "gun deaths" statistic you can almost guarantee they have no idea wtf they are talking about. Let's lump in things like self defense, instances where police kill someone, suicide, etc. Then, be sure to exclude all other forms of death that tend to increase (knives, beatings, etc) because THAT type of death just isn't important when your goal is the control of guns.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)