Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 2914

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't know if this would belong here or in Random General Headlines but....
    At least 15 dead, 24 injured in Russia school shooting

"15 people, including 11 children, were killed in the shooting, and 24 other people, including 22 children, were wounded in the attack.

Russia’s Investigative Committee identified the gunman as 34-year-old Artyom Kazantsev, a graduate of the same school, and said he was wearing a black t-shirt bearing “Nazi symbols.”.."

Link for more:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9155784/r...hool-shooting/

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I think it's about time, y'all.
    Being on the left doesn't mean you can't arm yourself.

We're looking at 8 different kinds of hell.

I've always said "I'm a Carlos the Jackal Leftist."

We're leveling up our defense capabilities at the eleven household.

Get ready for the possibility of mass social unrest in the next few years.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I think it's about time, y'all.
    Being on the left doesn't mean you can't arm yourself.

We're looking at 8 different kinds of hell.

I've always said "I'm a Carlos the Jackal Leftist."

We're leveling up our defense capabilities at the eleven household.

Get ready for the possibility of mass social unrest in the next few years.
    No, thanks!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    No, thanks!
    I hear you, man, and I highly appreciate your principles, quite naturally.
    But things are different down here, eh buddy?

I was talking about the US, where the right is already armed to the teeth,
    and their elected officials...including King Dingaling, himself...
    can barely make it through an interview without some sort of threat or call to arms.

It's not as if we're preparing for something NEW, here, either. We've HAD recent political violence, and the rhetoric continues to worsen.
    I just fear a possible mass escalation in the coming years, both political,
    AND regarding food and energy.

Edit: and for the record, I'm like 99% sure I've never fired a real gun...if I have, I was VERY young.
    But a shotgun is just "part of the house" in the region where I spent my earliest years, and where I live, now ( convergence of likeTX/OK/NM/CO) so my mom certainly knows her way around that.
    And those are mostly point and shoot, right?

Mrs. Eleven DWI crew, Sheap, did a stint in the military.
    She can handle the big shit.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-29-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Thailand Mass Shooting at Child-Care Center Leaves at least 36 Dead" Terrible.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ce-2022-10-06/

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I hate (I try not to use that word a lot) fucking guns.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Verdict Reached for Parkland School Shooter Nikolas Cruz. Verdict being read at 10:30am ET.

Update:
    Wow. I can't believe it. Life in prison. This is a shame, as this case sets an example for the next upcoming cases.
    My heart breaks for the families.
    Last edited by ickyvicky; 10-13-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

as you can imagine most replies are about how ridiculous it is to call a mass shooting an 'event'.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Another mass shooting, this time in Colorado
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/20/us/co...-gay-nightclub

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

yeah it'd be great if we could stop focusing on the things that bring the hate-click ad dollars.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you reminded me of this bonkers idea from VA:

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) told The Washington Post editorial board on Monday that his path forward after this shocking tragedy will be to push for more police officers in schools and tougher penalties for crimes committed with guns. "One of the key concerns I have is I wasn't able last year to get school resource officers in every school," Youngkin said. "We didn't get them in every elementary school and we should."
    The response I saw on reddit - or twitter, I forget now - was basically: "Sure, because every six-year-old is reviewing the penalties for their actions before they do it."

edit: realized that basically he's saying 'sorry we didn't have a cop in the school that could have shot the six year old with a gun'. fucking loons, all of them.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-11-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Illinois Governor Pritzker signed an assault weapons ban last night.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/chicago/...apons-ban/#app
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much impact this will have on the Chicagoland as Indiana and Wisconsin are right there and you know that the gun shops in Gary, IN, will be more than happy to see a surge in business from Illinois customers.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    some gunman in Monteray Park just went on a mass shooting at a dance studio. Ten people are dead, ten more injured. The suspect is still at large and it seems all the news outlets know is that he was male.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-22-2023 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    you reminded me of this bonkers idea from VA:

The response I saw on reddit - or twitter, I forget now - was basically: "Sure, because every six-year-old is reviewing the penalties for their actions before they do it."

edit: realized that basically he's saying 'sorry we didn't have a cop in the school that could have shot the six year old with a gun'. fucking loons, all of them.
    update to this story: apparently the kid's a real piece of work.
    A 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his first-grade teacher constantly cursed at staff and teachers, tried to whip students with his belt and once choked another teacher “until she couldn’t breathe,” according to a legal notice filed by an attorney for the wounded teacher.

The incidents were described in a notice sent to the Newport News school district by Diane Toscano, an attorney for teacher Abby Zwerner, informing the district that Zwerner intends to sue. The notice of claim, which was obtained by The Associated Press through a public records request, outlines prior behavioural issues the boy had at Richneck Elementary School and troubling interactions he had with teachers and students.

Two days before the shooting, the boy allegedly “slammed” Zwerner’s cellphone and broke it, according to the claim notice. He was given a one-day suspension, but when he returned to Zwerner’s class the following day, he pulled a 9mm handgun out of his pocket and shot her while she sat at a reading table, the notice says.
    I don't know how that part escaped notice until recently but how are his parents still free? They should be looking at this as learned behavior and a really good reason to ask them some extra questions about their home life.

And the admin are so screwed:

The choking incident described in the notice was confirmed by the teacher. She said that in 2021, the boy came up behind her as she sat in a chair in the front of the class, locked his forearms in front of her neck and pulled back and down, hard. She said a teaching assistant pulled the boy off her.

The teacher requested anonymity because she fears potential retaliation from the school district. She said she reported the incident to school administrators, but did not receive the kind of supportive response she had hoped for from them.

“I didn’t feel safe the rest of the year because I knew if they didn’t protect me when he choked me and I couldn’t breathe, then they wouldn’t protect me, my kids or my colleagues if he did something not as harmful,” she told The Associated Press.
    first of all, anonymous is a weird word because there's a report of this so, uh, that's kind of silly. But also? clearly they knew something was up and did zero to help out.

also there's a follow-up to the Brazilian MRI machine that went on a shooting spree:

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan
    The 40-year-old is said to have failed to tell hospital workers that he had a gun on him after being told to remove all metal objects before entering the scanning room.

The magnetic field from the MRI scanner pulled the pro-gun lawyer’s weapon was pulled from his waistband and went off, shooting him in the tummy.
    Oh no, he got a boo boo. But seriously, that's in the article. wtf
    Last edited by allegate; 02-10-2023 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    also there's a follow-up to the Brazilian MRI machine that went on a shooting spree:

Lawyer dies after his hidden gun goes off during MRI scan
    Oh no, he got a boo boo. But seriously, that's in the article. wtf
    Holy shit hahahaha. Larping ass MFer shot dead by MRI machine.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    If that doesn't get him a Darwin Award, I don't know what will.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That's crazy about the 6 year old boy!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Shooting at Michigan State University tonight. Shooter still on the loose. One dead so far, but there may be more.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    3 dead now, more injured.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Another shooting, this time in El Paso at the mall next to where the 2019 mass shooting took place. So far one person is dead and three injured.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Another shooting, this time in El Paso at the mall next to where the 2019 mass shooting took place. So far one person is dead and three injured.
    Strange how in these places where so many people are packing guns that these mass shootings don't get stopped. I'm for banning all hand guns & semi automatic rifles that aren't designed for hunting. It won't happen because there is too much money involved like everything else. I read today where Trump wants to have firing squads with more than one convict at a time if he gets back in. So, we'd have the government doing mass shootings. Somehow I don't think this is a good message.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Strange how in these places where so many people are packing guns that these mass shootings don't get stopped.
    It's because the people who are always packing think that, when a shooting goes down, it'll be just like a movie. They'll be in the right place at the right time to play the hero. It's less about protecting others than about stroking their own egos. Also, we as a nation are addicted to weaponry. We love guns like we love wealth and power. The time to ease up on the availability of guns has long since passed. Now we have members of congress wearing rifle pendants where they used to wear crosses. People like that don't want mass shootings to end. They either want to quietly encourage them if they involve minorities, or they want them to continue so that they can keep people afraid and get them to buy even more guns.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's because the people who are always packing think that, when a shooting goes down, it'll be just like a movie. They'll be in the right place at the right time to play the hero. It's less about protecting others than about stroking their own egos. Also, we as a nation are addicted to weaponry. We love guns like we love wealth and power. The time to ease up on the availability of guns has long since passed. Now we have members of congress wearing rifle pendants where they used to wear crosses. People like that don't want mass shootings to end. They either want to quietly encourage them if they involve minorities, or they want them to continue so that they can keep people afraid and get them to buy even more guns.
    that's so fucking bonkers, man.

edited to add:

Last edited by allegate; 02-16-2023 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Highland Park shooting suspect's father indicted by grand jury

Background: Prosecutors allege that Crimo Jr. was criminally reckless at the time that he helped his son, Robert Eugene Crimo III, obtain a firearm license years before the shooting in Highland Park even though the then-19-year-old had threatened violence.

Highland Park police have said they were called to the family's home twice before in 2019 — once for a suicide attempt and another after Crimo III threatened his family.
    After those incidents, Crimo III was still able to legally obtain a gun license — sponsored by his father — and purchase five firearms, per AP.
    Of note: Crimo Jr. was arrested in December on seven counts of felony reckless conduct, and has previously denied any responsibility over the shooting.

The Lake County State’s Attorney Office did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.
    will it stick? will it create a fear of responsibility in these cases in a way that hasn't before? Man I sure hope so.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    that's so fucking bonkers, man.

edited to add:

Didn't someone ironically adopt this not knowing the source?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Highland Park shooting suspect's father indicted by grand jury

will it stick? will it create a fear of responsibility in these cases in a way that hasn't before? Man I sure hope so.
    This has already happening in Michigan in the Oxford school shooting.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...als-court.html

The kid had ongoing mental issues, told his parents about them, put the issues in his journal. Did they get him help? No, they bought the kid a gun, and took him to shooting practice. They kept the gun in an unlocked drawer in a nightstand by their bed. He took the gun to school in his backpack. The school called the parents to a meeting because the kid was acting weird, drawing scary stuff; they ask parents to take the kid home. Parents refused. Nobody realized gun was in that backpack. Kid went and shot and killed a bunch of people.

That article (above) notes that a parent has been held liable, before: https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...lled_brot.html

However ... any precedent in this case won't likely set national precedent; it'd set state precedent.

Regarding the Highland Park shooter. Same thing. The state legislators were put on notice in this case that the existing laws or rules regarding "clear and present danger" and FOID (Firearms Owner ID) applications and whatever records the State Police keep (they issue FOIDs) weren't adequate. The Highland Park Police were called to the defendant's residence, the kid had a bunch of knives and was threatening to unalive himself and his family. The police threatened to remove the weapons, but they were evidently a "collection" of the dad's - he promised to "secure" them somewhere and to get the kid some "help." This allegedly never happened. Instead, dad ultimately sponsored the kid for a FOID and got him a gun. The State Police said they discarded the clear and present danger report after some months. *See below note.

It's not clear that the gun purchased THEN was the gun used on July 4th. But, the point, I think, with these charges against Crimo Sr., is that he failed to get help for his son, which could have prevented future stuff after Crimo Jr. was emancipated? I'm not sure how prosecutors are going to connect the dots. I know that these charges were prompted by public demand. As much as I truly believe this Crimo Jr's parents are totally awful negligent parents (and his Dad is right-wing 2nd amendment nut, and his mom is so out-there I can't even begin to describe her), I don't think the prosecutors have a case against the dad because Crimo Jr. was emancipated and living in his own apartment when he committed this crime, and purchased most of his weapons (and likely all of the ammo) after he was emancipated (turned 18).

*Note that the Illinois State Police updated the Clear and Present Danger rules after this event: https://www.wgem.com/2022/11/15/illi...t-danger-rule/
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This has already happening in Michigan in the Oxford school shooting.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...als-court.html

The kid had ongoing mental issues, told his parents about them, put the issues in his journal. Did they get him help? No, they bought the kid a gun, and took him to shooting practice. They kept the gun in an unlocked drawer in a nightstand by their bed. He took the gun to school in his backpack. The school called the parents to a meeting because the kid was acting weird, drawing scary stuff; they ask parents to take the kid home. Parents refused. Nobody realized gun was in that backpack. Kid went and shot and killed a bunch of people.

That article (above) notes that a parent has been held liable, before: https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...lled_brot.html

However ... any precedent in this case won't likely set national precedent; it'd set state precedent.

Regarding the Highland Park shooter. Same thing. The state legislators were put on notice in this case that the existing laws or rules regarding "clear and present danger" and FOID (Firearms Owner ID) applications and whatever records the State Police keep (they issue FOIDs) weren't adequate. The Highland Park Police were called to the defendant's residence, the kid had a bunch of knives and was threatening to unalive himself and his family. The police threatened to remove the weapons, but they were evidently a "collection" of the dad's - he promised to "secure" them somewhere and to get the kid some "help." This allegedly never happened. Instead, dad ultimately sponsored the kid for a FOID and got him a gun. The State Police said they discarded the clear and present danger report after some months. *See below note.

It's not clear that the gun purchased THEN was the gun used on July 4th. But, the point, I think, with these charges against Crimo Sr., is that he failed to get help for his son, which could have prevented future stuff after Crimo Jr. was emancipated? I'm not sure how prosecutors are going to connect the dots. I know that these charges were prompted by public demand. As much as I truly believe this Crimo Jr's parents are totally awful negligent parents (and his Dad is right-wing 2nd amendment nut, and his mom is so out-there I can't even begin to describe her), I don't think the prosecutors have a case against the dad because Crimo Jr. was emancipated and living in his own apartment when he committed this crime, and purchased most of his weapons (and likely all of the ammo) after he was emancipated (turned 18).

*Note that the Illinois State Police updated the Clear and Present Danger rules after this event: https://www.wgem.com/2022/11/15/illi...t-danger-rule/
    thanks for that side, very interesting. Also it would appear you knew I had typed out "precedent" before changing it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    thanks for that side, very interesting. Also it would appear you knew I had typed out "precedent" before changing it.
    I dunno, I'm on painkillers from major surgery, I'm lucky I know where I AM right now, this my first time back on a computer in a while. I had to re-read that 5x to make sure it was even vaguely coherent. LOL.

But, legal precedent kind of amends existing laws. And laws are intended to act as deterrents to crimes, but of course they aren't perfect; they don't prevent crime. People either don't know about laws, or they disregard laws. No matter how much we punish people, or how bad the punishment.

And we can ban guns, but that won't necessarily stop this, either. It's estimated that there are literally hundreds of millions of guns in the possession of American citizens out there. It'd be like if we decided to ban personal computers.

When 2nd amendment nuts are willing to sacrifice CHILDREN in the interest of upholding their right to a fucking AR-15, we've already passed the point of no return, really.

Certainly there's no coincidence that these mass shooters are always guys. You don't see women mass shooters. But, why? (Rhetorical question.)

We CERTAINLY must amend the 2nd Amendment. It was created when we didn't have a standing army. We HAVE a standing army, we've had one for a very long time. We don't need or want militias. These goofy 2A people insisting that 2A was created for them to "defend themselves against the government" is 100% false. And ridiculous.

This quote attributed to Jefferson?

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Scholars and Monticello: Jefferson never said that, it's a bullshit quote.

Our defense against tyranny? Balance of power, and our ability to vote. It ain't a stupid little AR-15, when the government has Apache helicopters, armed drones, tanks, and missiles.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-11-2023 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    well there was that one female mass shooter... whatshername, the "I don't like mondays" person. But obviously, complete mental breakdowns aren't relegated to a sex, but to ignore the fact that 99.9% of these mass shooters are men is the elephant in the room.