Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
You're wrong on both counts.
The law can protect you, the individual, from the powerful, the corporations, far more comprehensively than you can manage on your own.
This is why libertarians are the tools of the powerful: they do their bidding unaware. They vastly overestimate the power of the individual and seek to weaken government. Government is the people acting collectively, or at least trying to: but the powerful, and the libertarians, want the people isolated, and thus weak.

An example: I want to be safe from drivers using celphones, scientifically proven to be more distracted and dangerous on the roads. My personal driving skills will only take me so far. It's only the law - making it illegal to drive whilst on the phone - that can protect me from the practice of distracted celphone driving more comprehensively by banning it. Will that stop the practice? No. But it will vastly reduce it.

How are we going to limit Monsanto without the law? With whose "common sense"? The common sense that goes "oh just eat GMOs there's nothing wrong with them"?
These issues are fought out in parliament by lawmakers, where else?
http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-prot...g-bill-1412160
cellphones and driving is your example?! That's a local law that is enforced locally. It's obviously not at all what I am talking about. The federal level is where the worst unfolds, not coincidentally that's where the strongest available power resides.

I'll address your post and hook off @allegro 's Monsanto concerns with a single image: