Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RroseSelavy View Post
    Not sure why there’s all this hostility. Not that it matters but I’m 28 and have been going to shows since I was 12...I already have slight tinitus in my left ear(from fireworks not a concert) I wouldn’t recommend not using earplugs...and I never said it was smart or “tough” of me...just my preference.
    I just think what you wrote is kinda dangerous for people to read if they think they can get away with the same thing. Also, if you already have tinitus and did that regardless at a friggin MBV show, then I guess you're a lost cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hahahaha wow. What a douche you are.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Hahahaha wow. What a douche you are.
    He's not wrong though. While he's a bit harsh, it is dangerous to spread the misinformation about different limits. There are teenagers who have worse hearing than the elderly because they think they can listen to music as loud as they want.

Permanent hearing loss for ALL people begins at 85 decibels, as that is the point at which the vibrations are strong enough to damage the hair cells (the sensory receptors for sound) in your inner ear, and humans cannot regrow hair cells.
    Now, decibels are on a logarithmic scale, with every 10 decibels added being about 10x as loud. With MBV being measured playing at around 132 dB, that would make it 60x louder than what is needed to cause permanent hearling loss. At 120 dB, permanent hearing loss occurs within 15 seconds of exposure. At 130 dB, hearing loss occurs immediately. You will never regain that hearing.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you lost hearing permanently at this concert. I'm writing this not to be mean to you, but to hopefully prevent anyone else from unknowingly making this mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I’m not saying I didn’t. And I’m not saying it was the smartest decision. I stated that more than once I believe. I’m not responsible for what some stupid 17yo does. My decision to not wear earplugs was mine alone...I’m not the only one who didn’t wear them. And next time I see them...I won’t be wearing them either. It’s my personal preference to risk the damage to fully enjoy myself.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 08-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Incredible show last night. First time for me and (hopefully) not the last. After going to hundreds of shows in my life, it was pretty surreal looking around me and seeing every single person wearing earplugs. Usually you only see a few people wearing them, and I'm usually not one of them, but dear god would I not want to see that band without protection. New songs sounded cool and the classic songs translated fantastically. That Holocaust section was a test of endurance. I had kind of heard about it, but had no idea what it was or, more importantly, how long it went on for. I still have no idea how long it was but it felt like it was going for 10 minutes. That sweet relief once they kicked back into You Made Me Realise though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oct 12 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
    $39.50 / $55 - Presale 8/22, Onsale 8/24

Looks like the band's first ever show in Oregon? Hopefully more... c'mon Detroit.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 08-21-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've only checked out Loveless and ABSOLUTELY love it. I'm almost scared to check out the other albums/EP's because I feel like anything after Loveless is going to sound average.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've only checked out Loveless and ABSOLUTELY love it. I'm almost scared to check out the other albums/EP's because I feel like anything after Loveless is going to sound average.
    Isn't Anything might be a slight step down (or should that be step back), but it's a VERY slight step down and well worth checking out, as are most of the EPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually have come to prefer Isn’t Anything over Loveless as of late.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I actually have come to prefer Isn’t Anything over Loveless as of late.
    same here. feels newer, fresher, and is a real mindfuck of a record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well as most people guessed Kevin didnt release anything before the end of 2018 as he said was 100% going to happen. But recently EVERYTHING in the store on the official site was listed as Sold Out and then a few days later the site went down and has been down/blank for a week or more now. Hoping this means something is coming. Maybe an album release on Valentine's day?

Kevin said he wants the next 1 or 2 albums to be released more traditionally than MBV was released...so we shall see.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Let me know when he reissues the 1987 EP Ecstasy and Wine

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    https://mybloodyvalentine.org/

Something is happening on wednesday.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Looks like an announcement coming soon?
    Last edited by Soma; 03-29-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: beat me to it LOL

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Vinyl remaster box set of everything including m b v?

Seems weird to tease new stuff with old visuals and music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Supposedly catalog coming to streaming services. Hopefully something a little more exciting than that, but it would explain all the old imagery.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I just got very excited, so if this turns out to just be "remastered on Spotify" or anything remotely like that...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'd be fine with their music coming to streaming sites. Announce and/or surprise release a new album while you're at it..

Seriously. There's plenty in their vaults. Drop an 8-song album of literally anything along with the coming-to-streaming announcement and bring the internet to its knees like it's February 2013 all over again..

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm not sure who this guy is or what this may mean. I guess all will be revealed tomorrow!

Just hoping for new material sometime soon.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I'd be fine with their music coming to streaming sites.
    It used to be on the big streaming sites I think, so teasing stuff like this as a way to hype putting it back on Spotify would be really bizarre, but they've done weirder stuff.
    Like that time they almost deafened me and everyone else in the building. That's still the only show I've walked out of because it was too loud.

And before anyone tells me to wipe my eardrums out with Vagisil, that was egregiously loud. Apparently someone w/ an SPL monitored the peak near what it would be like to stand right behind a 747 at takeoff... loud enough to maybe cause a heart attack or something. Just insane.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-30-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It used to be on the big streaming sites I think, so teasing stuff like this as a way to hype putting it back on Spotify would be really bizarre, but they've done weirder stuff.
    Like that time they almost deafened me and everyone else in the building. That's still the only show I've walked out of because it was too loud.

And before anyone tells me to wipe my eardrums out with Vagisil, that was egregiously loud. Apparently someone w/ an SPL monitored the peak near what it would be like to stand right behind a 747 at takeoff... loud enough to maybe cause a heart attack or something. Just insane.
    Isn't that their shtick, though? Please tell me you had earplugs... I feel like those should be mandatory/passed out freely at mbv shows.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Isn't that their shtick, though? Please tell me you had earplugs... I feel like those should be mandatory/passed out freely at mbv shows.
    Oh yeah... we all had earplugs, and it wasn't enough. My ears were still ringing days later. The sound guy was wearing the sorta over-ear protection, and then I saw him at one point pull it off to check, and underneath he was wearing earplugs. Just silly.

I saw them play a few years after and it was a lot more reasonable. I also read some blurb from Kevin where he admitted they took it too far on the "reunion tour" thing.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    I was also at one of the 2008 shows but it was outdoors. The level of sound might possibly have been deadly in an enclosed space.

Anyway, I'm streaming Isn't Anything right now on Tidal in Master quality, and I dig it!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oh yeah... we all had earplugs, and it wasn't enough. My ears were still ringing days later. The sound guy was wearing the sorta over-ear protection, and then I saw him at one point pull it off to check, and underneath he was wearing earplugs. Just silly.

I saw them play a few years after and it was a lot more reasonable. I also read some blurb from Kevin where he admitted they took it too far on the "reunion tour" thing.
    Wow, I really can't even imagine that. Maybe it's a tad masochistic, but I really wish I could've seen a show on that tour. I guess at that volume, even with proper ear protection it's gotta just make your insides feel weird. I feel like the loudest shows I've ever seen - aside from being right in front of the speakers at Muse shows or Coachella etc. where it's obviously gonna be loud - were probably bands like Caspian or Nothing.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I was also at one of the 2008 shows but it was outdoors. The level of sound might possibly have been deadly in an enclosed space.
    Yeah, it was stupid really. The ground under my feet was vibrating, my heart was speeding up in a way that was new and previously unexperienced, and it felt like my brain was getting jiggled uncomfortably, meanwhile my ears were telling me constantly "THIS IS WAAAAAAAAAAY TOO LOUD!"

I wonder if the venue people just said "whatever, do what you want, we don't care" because they were already scheduled to close the place. That was one of the last shows that happened there.

@halo_eighteen, my friend went both nights, and on the second he wore over-ear protection like air traffic controllers wear, and underneath he had earplugs in, and he said it was awesome that time.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-30-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It’s streaming and physical reissues.

https://www.facebook.com/10004444236...590026951/?d=n

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

That statement about the 747 engine is accurate. When I saw them, it was by far the loudest music I've ever heard. & I've been to literally hundreds of shows. At the end of "You Made Me Realize" people just sort of stood around stunned & eventually wandered out of the venue. Settled the encore question nicely. I wonder if they were trying for the "brown" note.