5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RroseSelavy View Post
    Please post details after the gig!!!
    I will

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burninglard View Post
    I will
    Did you happen to notice if they were selling the MBV record on vinyl at the show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Did you happen to notice if they were selling the MBV record on vinyl at the show?
    So far I have heard from many people that they are really only selling shirts on this tour at about 40$ a pop...no vinyl at all.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 07-25-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    sadly no records or cds just shirts and a few buttons. I will post more about the show after I get back off from work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This question goes out to everyone that has seen them before. I’m going to be seeing them form the first time ever in Philadelphia...usually I prefer to be first row against the rail at shows...but I’ve heard from some people that at a MBV show that’s a a bad idea as he sound is usually louder and better/clearer when you’re further back even though the view isn’t as good. Is that true? Or is front row a good choice?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    This question goes out to everyone that has seen them before. I’m going to be seeing them form the first time ever in Philadelphia...usually I prefer to be first row against the rail at shows...but I’ve heard from some people that at a MBV show that’s a a bad idea as he sound is usually louder and better/clearer when you’re further back even though the view isn’t as good. Is that true? Or is front row a good choice?
    "
    I would stand back a bit. "You Made Me Realize" is like standing next to a running jet engine. Literally. People just stood around dazed not knowing what to do at the end. Really settled the encore question nicely.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Yeah, don't go up front unless you're wearing hearing protection. Seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, don't go up front unless you're wearing hearing protection. Seriously.
    Thanks for the responses!

Its so weird that I’ve heard the opposite...that it isn’t as loud until front just that it doesn’t sound as clear and defined. I always feel weird being back in the crowd or upstairs far back in the balcony as I’m so used to being front row and seeing the band RIGHT THERE. But for this band I feel that the sound is maybe more important than seeing them up close. Not to mention I always try to grab a setlist haha that’s a big part of me liking to be front row.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The show in Oakland was Good not Great. I am glad I finally saw them though.

They played 20 songs, 2 were new ones. I loved them both. I feel the 2nd one is a little better, more dreamy and layered.

Only shirts $40 and buttons at the merch table. I got a LOVELESS one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i have a pair of MBV tickets for wed, aug 1st at the hammerstein ballroom. SUPER bummed i cannot go. let me know if anyone is interested in them, seeking face value.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just got home from the LA gig and wow that was awesome! Kevin Shields is definitely the master of sound layering, I have no idea how he does it. I will admit I was surprised they were able to perform for 2 hours. I really didn't think they have it in them but they pulled it off.

And yes ear plugs are a must, especially the last song. You have been warned.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Do they give out free earplugs to everyone at every show? Wondering if I should buy myself a pair or not. Everything I've been reading about has me nervous. I don't get how louder = better.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm sure they do hand out earplugs, but I don't know if I'd rely on that. I've admittedly never seen MBV, but Nothing and Caspian were both pretty damn loud, too. It takes on a different sensation and it's so loud that you just literally feel the sound waves pulsing through you. Not necessarily better, just a different experience. I dunno, that's just their shtick haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How has the merch table been looking? I really wanna get the guitar picks...but i always rush in to grab a good spot. Is there still merch left at the end of the show? Or should I find a way to buy stuff before the end of the gig?
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 07-25-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I saw them in 2009, they handed out earplugs, but they were just the basic foam type. From what I've seen, they always do it.

You can invest in a pair of nicer ones for $10-20, it's well worth it if you see even a few shows a year. I personally always wear earplugs at shows, and if you buy nicer ones that more evenly attenuate the levels, then it shouldn't effect what you are hearing other than it just turning the volume down.

I have the older version of these: https://www.etymotic.com/er20xs.html

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://desertdaze.org/

Officially added to Desert Daze lineup, Oct 12-14 Moreno Beach, California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kevin Shields for fender-part 2

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw them the other night in St. Paul for the first time. Absolutely amazing, but yeah, ear plugs are advised. They did give out the orange foam ones at the door, but I had brought some silicone ones with me.

I've seen hundreds of shows in my life, and I was absolutely blown away how loud they were. It was actually a cool juxtaposition to how calm of a stage presence Kevin and Bilinda have. Furthermore, about 3 minutes into the feedback part of "you made me realise", the relentless volume started to make sense to me. It envelops you and, while initially very uncomfortable (even with ear plugs), it started to feel pleasant, and the noise became very peaceful. Then a few minutes later when they go right back into the song....it just felt so huge. There were only a few songs I took the ear plugs out for.

On a side note, hometown boys Chatham Rise opened up the show, and did awesome. You could tell they were so grateful to open up. I first saw them a few years ago at First Ave. opening for Jesus and Mary Chain, and highly recommend them for psych/shoegaze/dream fans.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Kevin Shields for fender-part 2

The second new song they've been playing live appears in this video at 3:10, fuck!!! Some actual recorded new stuff right there.

Kevin's got the dream right there, a nice big studio setup in a private kind of area somewhere in Ireland. No distractions, just to shut himself away and make music, every musicians dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone here been front row for a MBV show? I’m planning on getting to the venue In Philly at 4-5pm. Do you think that’s early enough to be front row?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last night in Philly....best show I have ever seen. They were very on point and in great spirits. Kevin even joked around a couple of times. The vocals were very low at the start but got louder as the show progressed...no false starts and Kevin really only got frustrated during one song and it wasn’t very noticeable sound wise. I didn’t time the holocaust section as I was enjoying it and floating the whole time...but it seemed like 6-7mins. I was front row against the rail...directly in front of Kevin with no earplugs the entire show ...and I got a setlist...definitely a night to remember. J Mascis and Heavy Blanket were incredible as well...I can’t wait to see them again.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 07-31-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Last night in Philly....best show I have ever seen. They were very on point and in great spirits. Kevin even joked around a couple of times. The vocals were very low at the start but got louder as the show progressed...no false starts and Kevin really only got frustrated during one song and it wasn’t very noticeable sound wise. I didn’t time the holocaust section as I was enjoying it and floating the whole time...but it seemed like 6-7mins. I was front row against the rail...directly in front of Kevin with no earplugs the entire show ...and I got a setlist...definitely a night to remember. J Mascis and Heavy Blanket were incredible as well...I can’t wait to see them again.

No ear plugs, you are a trooper. My friend didn't wear them either at the show last week, but she's half deaf so I didn't give her much cred for it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Not wearing earplugs for this band is asinine. And a deaf person will still lose hearing from loud sounds even when they can barely hear them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Not wearing earplugs for this band is asinine. And a deaf person will still lose hearing from loud sounds even when they can barely hear them.

Nope. I’ve been to hundreds of shows...including a lot of really loud Black Metal gigs...I know the limits my ears can take. I never needed them last night. I put them in for half a song and it only made it sound shitty and feel less powerful. People have different limits.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Nope. I’ve been to hundreds of shows...including a lot of really loud Black Metal gigs...I know the limits my ears can take. I never needed them last night. I put them in for half a song and it only made it sound shitty and feel less powerful. People have different limits.
    l o l NO, they def. don't. You just aren't paying for it yet, but you will eventually tough guy. How old are you by chance?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Also, if you were at the rail as you said, you might have been able to avoid the sound from the actual PA depending on the venue setup, and you primarily were getting sound from the stage amps etc. That will actually be alot less loud, even potentially at a MBV show.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Went to a Swans show two years ago. Was offered free earplugs at the entry, said nah. Worst decision of my concert history. The actual show was okay, but I was half-deaf for a good 24hrs after that and had noticeable ringing in my ears for a week. It then passed away completely, but I was seriously worried.
    Moral of the story: if experienced people advise you about a certain particular band's loudness (not just any show ever), they probably know what they're talking about.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i went to a midnight oil show several years ago in a club (!). it was mighty loud during the entire set & then came the encore. they must've went to 11 at that point. i felt something pop in my ear & there was some bleeding. couldn't hear out of 1 ear for a few days. it was worth it. i think the loudest band i ever saw in an arena setting was judas priest "screaming for vengenance" era. when rob halford came out on the harley, it was unreal. the ramones circa "road to ruin" in a very small hall you had to go outside every few songs to clear you head. awwww....heavy metal memories haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    l o l NO, they def. don't. You just aren't paying for it yet, but you will eventually tough guy. How old are you by chance?
    Not sure why there’s all this hostility. Not that it matters but I’m 28 and have been going to shows since I was 12...I already have slight tinitus in my left ear(from fireworks not a concert) I wouldn’t recommend not using earplugs...and I never said it was smart or “tough” of me...just my preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also at the Philadelphia show there was a middle aged woman with her daughter who was probably around 10 or so...when I first got to the railing they were on stage with Kevin and he was showing them around...then during Heavy Blanket’s set the 3 of them were at the mixing desk on the side of the stage and it looked like he was showing the kid how things worked...it was really sweet and he seemed in a good mood the whole night. He also dedicated Slow to Anna...who I’m guessing Is the woman who was there...maybe they’re a couple or something. And the Holocaust section of YMMR lasted exactly 10 minutes...which I think is the longest one they did this tour. Somebody just posted the entire concert on YouTube.
    Last edited by RroseSelavy; 01-30-2019 at 02:46 PM.