40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Thanks folks for honouring the spoiler rules: much appreciated
    Ripley dies at the end. Wait, what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Ripley dies at the end. Wait, what?
    Yeah and Worf kills a lot of stormtroopers.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    the Hollywood Reporter has a nice feature on Ridley Scott online:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-alien-324981

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Here's some stuff related to Erich von Däniken's book Chariots of the Gods?, which inspired some of the story in Prometheus. These 1970s films and docs have a quality to them that, to me, is more appealing than the highly polished stuff on The History Channel, such as Ancient Aliens. The soundtrack of the first one is just ridiculous, and perfect.

Chariots of the Gods:

In Search of Ancient Astronauts [part 1 of 6] Narrated by Rod Serling:

The Case of the Ancient Astronauts:

Last edited by Findus; 05-19-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Amazing, one of the main creature's been revealed in the TV teasers already, we have seen the so called Engineers and still we merely got to see about 5% of the movie. If the rest is not based on dialogue I think we're in for a wild ride.

One thing sucks though: I won't get to see the film until August 8th. I just hope I can avoid some major spoilers from May 30th on...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    One thing sucks though: I won't get to see the film until August 8th. I just hope I can avoid some major spoilers from May 30th on...
    There's a place you're going to have to avoid, it's called "all of the internet".

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    So can someone clarify for me if this is an Alien prequel? I keep hearing it from many people but I cannot find a good source proving this wrong.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's set in the universe, I've read a bunch of interviews with Ridley Scott totally downplaying that it's an official 'Prometheus prequel' so to speak. Apparently the first writer had it as a direct prequel but it's since changed.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    There's a place you're going to have to avoid, it's called "all of the internet".
    Getting ready for my vacation to that lonely island...

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It's set in the universe, I've read a bunch of interviews with Ridley Scott totally downplaying that it's an official 'Prometheus prequel' so to speak. Apparently the first writer had it as a direct prequel but it's since changed.
    Correct! Lindelof basically took the script Spaiths has come up with and simply wrote the actual Alien (facehuggers, eggs, Queen, chestbursters) out of the script to make the picture stand on its own.

No offense, but that neverending prequel or not question is the only bad thing so far about this movie. :P

I mean all you need for a prequel is there: Same universe, it is set before the events of the first movie, it features the derelict spaceship (still not sure if it is actually the same that the crew of the Nostromo finds), it has the Space Jockeys, it features Peter Weyland and it has evil creatures that penetrate their victims. Even the first trailer was constructed like the main trailer for Alien was back in the day. So what else do people need to consider it a prequel? It won't describe the origin of the xenomorph but shines a light on what the Space Jockey from the first film is all about. You will get answers, but the movie will raise new ones aswell. And if it turns out to be successfull we are likely to get a sequel that turns Prometheus into a new franchise departing even further from the Alien movies.

As both writers and Scott already mentioned: You won't find a scene at the end of the movie that ties directly to the Nostromo making its way through space or the derelict crashing onto that dark and stormy planet. No Ripley and no xenomorph (as far as we know).

On the other hand this movie may venture so far away from the franchise that you could easily consider it non-canon to the Alien franchise, if you happen to dislike it. Similiar to the Alien vs Predator films which I hope Prometheus will surpass in every way imaginable.

Of course it all depends on which rules you got to consider something a prequel, but if the wikipedia article is of any use than Prometheus is a prequel in every way. Guess one of the reasons the production team and Scott are downplaying this fact has to do with the shitty reputation the term prequel got from movie-goers over the years. And god knows how many bad prequels we have seen already (Wolverine anyone?).
    Last edited by dlb; 05-25-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    One could also argue that them downplaying its role a prequel has to do with Ridley & Co. opting for Prometheus to be enjoybale in every means without having seen the Alien movies and thus reaching for a wider audience than only the die-hard Alien fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The monster eating the space jockey in the latest TV spot looks amazing.
    Last edited by Lutz; 05-26-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    someone at the Prometheus boards posted a nice pic of t-shirt that is being sold on ebay:

looks pretty great if you ask me!

the more we get to see of the Space Jockey the more I think about Tool's music videos. Espcially aenima and shism.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^^^
    WANT!
    Those guys still remind me of the Chozo in Metroid, a game that owes a lot to this franchise.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    As both writers and Scott already mentioned: You won't find a scene at the end of the movie that ties directly to the Nostromo making its way through space or the derelict crashing onto that dark and stormy planet. No Ripley and no xenomorph (as far as we know).
    I'm staying until the end of the credits anyway ;D

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    So will I, but I guess when I get to see this movie every little detail will have been discussed to death over the net.

One thing I got to say is that the more info leaks the more I get excited about the Space Jockey as a whole. I really hope they get him/them right. If the Jockey delivers than there will be no need a xenomorph at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tense moment beween David and Vickers - very cool line for Charlize here...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh man, that was sweet!
    Also, friend of mine was always like "Nah, I don't want to watch Alien, I don't like sci fi!" until I finally wore her down recently because it's not JUST sci fi, it's horror as well! Well well, look who was right. Afterwards she was like "Okay, that was a pretty damn good movie!"
    TOLD YOU.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    got my tickets for Friday. So very, very pumped... one because of the movie and two because I can then read back over the 10 pages of discussion here! *spoiler blinkers still on*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The plot summary on Wiki sounds just like all the trailers linked together. Totes hope there is more to it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to this, but maybe we should be prepared for there not to be 'more to it.' Some of the expectations I've seen of this movie have spun wildly out of control. The one person who I know to have seen the film was pretty disappointed, but I don't know any more about his interests or preferences and can't really put that into any sort of context.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just going to throw this out there, the Alien Anthology blu-ray is amazon's deal of the day today for $29.99, you'd be nuts not to buy it for that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Just going to throw this out there, the Alien Anthology blu-ray is amazon's deal of the day today for $29.99, you'd be nuts not to buy it for that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27
    Jumped the.gun. caved and ordered the anthology a few days ago. Should've waited...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Did anyone else watch this interview with some of the cast and Ridley? I really enjoyed it.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/prometheus/

Very nice to see Mr. Pearce among the interviewees. Quite an international (and ensemble) cast, too, which I hadn't really thought about 'til now. In this interview alone there was an American, an Irish-German, a Swede, and an Aussie.

And I love how Ridley refuses to knock the AVP movies - not because I liked them or thought they were any good - it just proves he's a class-act.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have never actually seen any of these films (yikes!), so my boyfriend got the anthology off of Amazon and now I'm being prepped for Prometheus, which - without even an inkling of anything that happens, bar that there are aliens somewhere in the mix - looks pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo View Post
    i have never actually seen any of these films
    what the what?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    what the what?!
    I know. I know...

At least that will be remedied very soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's still cheaper to buy the anthology from the UK.

I got mine for $15AU!

Just be careful you order the correct one - there is one box that is just the movies and another which has all the extras.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    I know. I know...

At least that will be remedied very soon...
    Hey, I know that word...

Just one more week!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    So I just deleted every bookmark I had in my browser for this and I will now go into stasis until August 8th... Fuck you soccer in Germany!

Reviews are mixed though. Some saying it's a masterpiece and alot of people being disapointed that it's not another Alien movie. No bad reviews though which has me excited. I'm still worried that I might be expecting a bit too much from this. Anway, this looks great and seeing that I consider Alien³ a great movie and Resurrection a pretty good one, Prometheus won't be able to not wow me in some ways.