Page 237 of 264 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,110 of 7895

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Blatant lip syncing. See KISS on NYE, The Weekend Super Bowl halftime show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I can't believe how ridiculous this is. "this woman"

(didn't want to bring the Phoebe Bridgers thread down)

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of destroying musical instruments of value, and even then, watching her destroy that guitar, I wanted her to really just do it. SMASH IT. She kept doing it like "eeeehhhhhhh, maybe not"
    Cobain would swap out for a Fender Squire and smash the shit out of it. That's the way to do it.

Don't wreck a great instrument.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's not easy to smash a guitar. That guitar is fine. Maybe it'll need some repair on the output jack, but that's probably about it. But I still think it's badass.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 02-08-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm not a fan of destroying musical instruments of value, and even then, watching her destroy that guitar, I wanted her to really just do it. SMASH IT. She kept doing it like "eeeehhhhhhh, maybe not"
    Cobain would swap out for a Fender Squire and smash the shit out of it. That's the way to do it.

The guitar-smashing was the best part of the song.

if you watch it, she didn't even hurt the guitar all that much. Blackmore and Townsend used to do this all the time, it's classic shit.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    edit: if you watch it, she didn't even hurt the guitar all that much.
    That's why it's frustrating and not that cool... you can't "half smash your instrument" you either do it or don't. There is no try.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's why it's frustrating and not that cool... you can't "half smash your instrument" you either do it or don't. There is no try.
    I think she was really really trying but it's pretty hard to do damage on a heavy guitar. They intentionally make them not to be damaged. It's like wielding a friggin' sledgehammer. My husband has a Gibson SG sitting in the bedroom right now, it weighs like 7 pounds, the body is solid mahogany. If I started wacking that against something, the SOMETHING would get damaged and the guitar would be fine. Maybe the neck could snap. My husband's PRS weighs like 8.5 pounds, but the neck is bolted on, so you just swap out the neck. She got some sparks, the monitor sparked. That was good enough for me.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I never even heard of this girl before

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    the monitor sparked. That was good enough for me.
    The monitor was fake. She revealed that on twitter.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The monitor was fake. She revealed that on twitter.
    Weird ... what was sparking? We watched it a couple of times, the guitar can't spark.

MAGIC

Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Weird ... what was sparking? We watched it a couple of times, the guitar can't spark.

MAGIC
    I'd imagine it was rigged to spark.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The guitar is a Danelectro.

"Danelectro told me they’re hard to break”

“I told Danelectro I was going to do it and they wished me luck."

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/p...sh-danelectro/
    Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    oh well, whatever none of this is as bad as when Alicia Keys flopped her Minimoog Voyager onto the ground. That's a three thousand dollar synth.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    oh well, whatever none of this is as bad as when Alicia Keys flopped her Minimoog Voyager onto the ground. That's a three thousand dollar synth.
    But were you saying this about Reznor and his traveling band of destruction?

This all smells like blatant sexism.

Kurt would agree.

Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)

LOL, no, that shit was lame too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That’s rock n roll, man.

(Runs away ...)

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I mean, really, I am just saying if she was gonna smash it, fucking smash it. The body needs to disconnect from the neck, you gotta go all in if you're gonna start that.
    I'm definitely not being sexist here. I actually thought the performance was pretty great. Just a B- on the guitar smashing.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Kurt would agree.

I saw Kurt & Dave Grohl play baseball with a Strat & a snare drum once.....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I mean, really, I am just saying if she was gonna smash it, fucking smash it. The body needs to disconnect from the neck, you gotta go all in if you're gonna start that.
    I'm definitely not being sexist here. I actually thought the performance was pretty great. Just a B- on the guitar smashing.
    The guitar manufacturer said good luck, you are not going to be able to hurt that guitar.

So it’s a testimonial to the guitar manufacturer, really.

If you look at Kurt Cobain doing all that guitar mayhem, he rarely does damage to the actual guitars; he pokes them through amps, fucks up the drums, does lots of other shit, but it was partly about letting out anger and mostly punk rock showmanship. Showpersonship.

TECHNICALLY, if we want to analyze it ...

She was holding it wrong if she wanted to do real damage. She needed to hold it way farther down the neck, near the headstock. For leverage.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:
    Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Trent threw a Les Paul about 20 feet in the air & the roadie who was supposed to catch it missed. Ouch! This was on the Fragility tour. Those Les Pauls don't respond well to that treatment. I also saw the last smashing in anger by Pete Townshend. It was about a week after John Entwistle died. Pete expressed remorse afterwards, haha. Roger offered to glue it back together for him. Funnily enough, it was the same venue as the Trent incident.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Those Les Pauls don't respond well to that treatment.
    No guitars are going to respond well to that treatment.

On the other end of the spectrum: My husband had to play a gig at the Rock Hall of Fame in Cleveland with his band at a big annual Air Traffic Controllers convention (the union had booked the entire building). He brought a guitar on the plane with him. The flight attendant gave him shit about if it doesn’t fit in the overhead, he has to check it. (He wouldn’t check it due to some thing about lack of pressure fucking up the guitar.) He told her no, he doesn’t have to check it, because the guitar HAS ITS OWN TICKET, which he handed her.

She said oh thank you very much, sir, have a pleasant flight.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I saw Kurt & Dave Grohl play baseball with a Strat & a snare drum once.....
    Bwaaaahahahahaaaaaa
    Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    no well tuned instrument responds well to anything remotely like this. It's just cringe for me in general. I wince when I watch Trent strip the keys from a Kurzweil.
    But I don't appreciate being called sexist here. It's not a sexist thing at all... and to be fair, I can't remember too many moments where female punk legends drestroyed wonderful gear. I don't think L7 or Patti Smith ever really wrecked their gear... and that's a good thing imo.

And I'm glad that when Cobain smashed his guitars, he swapped them out for bs garbage.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I wince when I watch Trent strip the keys from a Kurzweil.
    But I don't appreciate being called sexist here. I don't think L7 or Patti Smith ever really wrecked their gear... and that's a good thing imo.
    Dude, I know you’re not sexist.

But the overall feeling out there is this is a big commotion BECAUSE she is a she and doing this, otherwise it’d be a big yawn.

Or, maybe they would have still freaked; because these are younger generations who aren’t used to this wreckless destruction and maybe they’re going to reject it as being stupid, whereas for generations it was macho. Hendrix set his guitar ON FIRE!

We never saw Eddie Van Halen smash a guitar, but I saw a few documentaries about how many guitars he took apart and basically ruined in order to swap parts (removed humbuckers from Gibsons and put them on Stats, or was potting pickups by dipping them in paraffin wax, etc.) but that’s different, really.

But then last night I was watching this thing on YouTube about how Eddie Van Halen had gotten really involved in this organization called the Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation, and it made me cry because being in band class from like 5th through 11th grade really meant a LOT to me, and I experienced this same thing about affording an instrument, etc. My Mom RENTED a flute for me for two years because my pubic school didn’t have instruments and we couldn’t afford a flute.

It’s why G and I have put all of our assets into a trust that goes to stuff like this, for kids’ music programs in schools.

Last edited by allegro; 02-08-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Ultimately, I liked the song I guess. I really did think it was pretty cool, and I didn't think I was in the mood for sad music that rages out to the end, but I got on board. It was cool.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    truly a little thing: the people on twitter who treat it like a conversation they're having with...someone?
    Did I hear right!?
    that's the entire tweet. Not a response to anyone, no reference to something else, nothing to make you read that and think "ah yes, I can definitely engage with this person."

and I know him! he does this all the time. I can't even subtweet - I think I'm using that word correctly in this context - about this because he'd know it's about him.

But then I guess most of social media is shouting into the ether and hoping someone is receiving you. And now half a song lyric is in my head...argh.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    My drunk, dickhead neighbor is apparently too hungover or embarrassed from his obnoxious bender yesterday that had him sitting out in the driveway on six different occasions blasting shitty radio music as loud as he possibly could from the vehicle of the woman who's house it actually is. He claims to be a live-in CNA and since he insists on drawing attention to himself, I did some research and discovered his CNA license is expired since 2008 and was suspended then for, wait it for it...

Showing up impossibly drunk at work and being incapable of staying conscious.

So he's conned some elderly woman into letting him live with her while he terrorizes the rest of us. No one has seen the woman since before Thanksgiving. I called the cops twice yesterday on this since he was not only disturbing the peace but also pounding PBR tall boys in the driver's seat with the car running. CO doesn't fuck around with DUIs so I thought FOR SURE we could finally get rid of him but I was told after speaking with one of the cops after the second call that they can't do anything. Drinking in his car on his (her) property is perfectly legal. And "being an asshole isn't illegal." The best they can do is ask him to keep it down which we have multiple times and clearly doesn't work.

So I guess it's our fault for buying this house six years ago, 4.5 years before he showed up. Nothing anyone can do about it (legally speaking anyway) so he wins. It's awesome.

Anyway, it's been quiet today and since the universe can't just let me have a single day without some fucking bullshit, the water alarm in the basement started screeching shortly after 8am. I ran down to check and saw rising water from the main wastewater drain. It was clear and my wife was showering so it was obvious what was happening.

I called Roto Rooter and got an appointment window for this morning. They should be here soon. But of course, this wasn't enough bullshit. All of the water in the house was backing up. Couldn't run sinks, couldn't flush toilets, so of course I had to suddenly had to shit. The only option was to go to Safeway as it was the closest and nicest public facility. I've been meaning to fill my truck up again for a while and have been having intermittent issues with it not starting--the worst being on 12/30/20 when I got stranded 3 miles from home without my phone and had to walk back.

Anyway, it started up no problem in the driveway and I got to Safeway, deciding to fill up in their gas station rather than the tiny one across the street and good thing I did because guess what? MY FUCKING TRUCK WOULDN'T START AFTER FILLING IT UP.

My brother came by and gave me a jump but that didn't help anything. I reset the fuel injector safety switch, too, and still no dice. It chugs, chugs, chugs but never fully turns over. Battery seems fine as everything comes on after each failed attempt. So I had no choice but to push it to an empty spot at the back of the lot and then come home because it had already been 45 minutes, we're within the window for RR to show up to look at the drain, and I had a work meeting and none of them knew I was even away from my computer.

So now I have to go back, get it towed to the dealer, and pay whatever the fuck it's going to cost to get it fixed on top of however much RR charges.

Every day is such a fucking blessing. I'm SO glad to be alive, that I keep waking up each morning, and that after I do, I get to deal with ever-escalating bullshit day after motherfucking piece of shit day.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    a whole bunch of awful things
    dude, i am so sorry i feel like the universe has been kind of shitting on y'all a lot lately and you definitely don't deserve it

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    My drunk, dickhead neighbor is apparently too hungover or embarrassed from his obnoxious bender yesterday that had him sitting out in the driveway on six different occasions blasting shitty radio music as loud as he possibly could from the vehicle of the woman who's house it actually is. He claims to be a live-in CNA and since he insists on drawing attention to himself, I did some research and discovered his CNA license is expired since 2008 and was suspended then for, wait it for it...

Showing up impossibly drunk at work and being incapable of staying conscious.

So he's conned some elderly woman into letting him live with her while he terrorizes the rest of us. No one has seen the woman since before Thanksgiving. I called the cops twice yesterday on this since he was not only disturbing the peace but also pounding PBR tall boys in the driver's seat with the car running. CO doesn't fuck around with DUIs so I thought FOR SURE we could finally get rid of him but I was told after speaking with one of the cops after the second call that they can't do anything. Drinking in his car on his (her) property is perfectly legal. And "being an asshole isn't illegal." The best they can do is ask him to keep it down which we have multiple times and clearly doesn't work.
    There really should be a law about being a shitty neighbor. it's really easy to not be a complete asshole, you know.

I'm only, like, 1/4 joking.

Got this in an email at work about Black History Month. And I hate that our nation has become such that I can't read it without seeing something sinister that may not actually be there. For example why do they keep saying that he's a Republican? Especially a Lincoln Republican considering what that means to certain people?

Robert Smalls (April 5, 1839 – February 23, 1915) was an American politician, publisher, businessman, and naval pilot. Born into slavery in Beaufort, South Carolina, he freed himself, his crew, and their families during the American Civil War by commandeering a Confederate transport ship, CSS Planter, in Charleston harbor, on May 13, 1862, and sailing it from Confederate-controlled waters of the harbor to the U.S. blockade that surrounded it. He then piloted the ship to the Union-controlled enclave in Beaufort-Port Royal-Hilton Head area, where it became a Union warship. His example and persuasion helped convince President Abraham Lincoln to accept African-American soldiers into the Union Army.

After the American Civil War he returned to Beaufort and became a politician, winning election as a Republican to the South Carolina Legislature and the United States House of Representatives during the Reconstruction era. Smalls authored state legislation providing for South Carolina to have the first free and compulsory public school system in the United States. He founded the Republican Party of South Carolina. Smalls was the last Republican to represent South Carolina's 5th congressional district until 2011.

As we celebrate Black History Month may we remember:
    The only way forward is together!
    Last edited by allegate; 02-12-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Got this in an email at work about Black History Month. And I hate that our nation has become such that I can't read it without seeing something sinister that may not actually be there. For example why do they keep saying that he's a Republican? Especially a Lincoln Republican considering what that means to certain people?
    It's always fun to point out the parties switched ethos (basically) in the 1930s... It's like, sure, he was Republican... when it had Democrat goals and ideals (very loosely generalizing).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    There really should be a law about being a shitty neighbor. it's really easy to not be a complete asshole, you know.
    Seriously. I kept thinking and saying this to my wife and brother...you have to go out of your way to be an asshole. It's a LOT of effort, and I speak from extensive experience from my late teens to late 20s.