Page 83 of 264 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 7895

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    People who think racism is a thing of the past.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    It is to me, because the people I hang around have better things to do than worry about the small percentage of US pop. who can't get their act together. Much like those in Neil deGrasse's community where terms like Affirmative Action, are meaningless. Only we're not as smart, but the same principle applies.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tell that to all the black people who still can't get taxis in Manhattan.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm not saying I'm some expert on the issue of Ferguson or race relations in America currently. I've not followed it as closely as some people I do know, specifically a friend in St. Louis who has attended some of the protests. I guess I'm just pissed off at the state of television news now. It's mostly sound and fury signifying nothing, though I'll admit it's not all empty suits but it seems like they are the majority. To me anyway.
    It's not the majority, it's a certain specific demographic that votes for a particular political party that will never win the Presidency, that's uber-conservative and reactionary and loves soap opera drama and nationalism.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It's not the majority, it's a certain specific demographic that votes for a particular political party that will never win the Presidency.
    I meant the majority on television, not the ones watching it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I meant the majority on television, not the ones watching it.
    No, definitely NOT the majority on television, it's the MINORITY on television. Advertisers love middle-of-the-road, no drama. Advertisers don't love that shit. It's ultimately all about advertising money.

Why do you think Elisabeth Hasselbeck suddenly went bye-bye from ABC's "The View" and ended up on the obscure stupid "Fox and Friends?"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tell that to all the black people who still can't get taxis in Manhattan.
    I don't know anything about Manhattan, is it the majority of black people who can't get a cab, or a small percentage for some reason?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Got kicked off of Facebook for the second time in a week over this real name bullshit. I can give them the documentation they need, since I ACTUALLY USE MY FUCKING NAME. Still, frustrating. I use Facebook to a huge degree. Waiting + this whole stupid fucking process sucks.
    Even though your reasons for not using it are valid...it's not your name.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fair point. I'm away from it, I just hate the implied self-entitlement of some newsmen today. And again I'm probably not the best person to talk about all this stuff, and better if I didn't say anything at all. Or at least nothing more than "I hate cable news", but that's too reductive.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by green View Post
    I don't know anything about Manhattan, is it the majority of black people who can't get a cab, or a small percentage for some reason?
    According to polls conducted in Manhattan, taxi drivers still generally pass up black people for some reason. All black people, old, young, males, females. There can be a white person and a black person hailing cabs, and the cab will nearly always pass right by the black person. It's a standard joke in NYC.

Note, though, that it isn't NEARLY as bad as it used to be, it has gotten way better. Especially after NYC did this whole "better taxi driver" program.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    According to polls conducted in Manhattan, taxi drivers still generally pass up black people for some reason. All black people, old, young, males, females. There can be a white person and a black person hailing cabs, and the cab will nearly always pass right by the black person. It's a standard joke in NYC.
    What race are the majority of cab drivers?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Fair point. I'm away from it, I just hate the implied self-entitlement of some newsmen today. And again I'm probably not the best person to talk about all this stuff, and better if I didn't say anything at all. Or at least nothing more than "I hate cable news", but that's too reductive.
    I never watch cable news for that reason, it's just all total bullshit. CNN, Fox, all of them, just a bunch of WHORES. It's not real journalism.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Why do you think Elisabeth Hasselbeck suddenly went bye-bye from ABC's "The View" and ended up on the obscure stupid "Fox and Friends?"
    Major Network news still has some legitimacy in my eyes (hell, I love 60 Minutes).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by green View Post
    What race are the majority of cab drivers?
    Heh, I dunno but they usually don't speak any English and they're usually from the Middle East.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I never watch cable news for that reason, it's just all total bullshit. CNN, Fox, all of them, just a bunch of WHORES. It's not real journalism.
    Even MSNBC to a degree. I despise that Ed Shultz because he's basically the liberal clone of Limbaugh. I learned a long time ago that not everyone who holds the same view as you do will be all people you can abide by. Same goes for Bill Maher to a degree, but he does at least give people a platform (that is unless they call him on his shit, like Affleck did).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Even MSNBC to a degree. I despise that Ed Shultz because he's basically the liberal clone of Limbaugh. I learned a long time ago that not everyone who holds the same view as you do will be all people you can abide by. Same goes for Bill Maher to a degree, but he does at least give people a platform (that is unless they call him on his shit, like Affleck did).
    I only watch local news, now. For national news, I go online. Al Jazeera. I love 60 Minutes, too, but that's more like special interest stuff.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Or think it's something that doesn't need to be talked about. Yes, there are some over here (points) that you shouldn't bother trying to have a conversation about racism in America. There is no changing their mind. It's the folks that deny that there is any racism that I think is where the conversation could be productive.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Separately, ignorant relatives. When asked where we got the giant bottle of wine for Thanksgiving dinner, we replied with "Costco". BF's sister said "you shop there? Costco gave Obama $2 million dollars and supports the gays. ".

Yes, she said THE gays. /face palm

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I only watch local news, now. For national news, I go online.
    Wait. You watch local news? On TV?

Can I just say that I hate motherfucking humanity today?

I was born on Staten Island. This time it's personal.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 12-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Even though your reasons for not using it are valid...it's not your name.
    Yes and no. It's my internet name, and its a bit of a placeholder in the rest of my life. I'm fond of it, and it's more my name than my legal one. Which is why I had the documentation they wanted pretty easily available and they gave me my account back. You have to have your name on there, not your legal name.

Not sure why you pointed that out though.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 12-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes and no. It's my internet name, and its a bit of a placeholder in the rest of my life. I'm fond of it, and it's more my name than my legal one. Which is why I had the documentation they wanted pretty easily available and they gave me my account back. You have to have your name on there, not your legal name.

Not sure why you pointed that out though.
    Because legally she's probably right; I don't know what your legal name is, but if it isn't what's on your driver's licence or passport, it's not your legal name. Which is exactly why Facebook sucks; they're not entitled to my legal name so they can spread it everywhere so people can stalk me (which happened), "do you know these people?"

Fuck off, Facebook.

Here's what Facebook accepts as "authentic identity:"

https://m.facebook.com/help/159096464162185?refid=69
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Wait. You watch local news? On TV?
    In Chicago. The second largest CITY in the country. Yes. I do.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Because legally she's probably right; I don't know what your legal name is, but if it isn't what's on your driver's licence or passport, it's not your legal name. Which is exactly why Facebook sucks; they're not entitled to my legal name so they can spread it everywhere so people can stalk me (which happened), "do you know these people?"

Fuck off, Facebook.

Here's what Facebook accepts as "authentic identity:"

https://m.facebook.com/help/159096464162185?refid=69
    Heh, I know. I just went through this silly multi-day process (which was the point of my frustration, them wrongly pulling my account and the whole dumb process, I was pretty sure I would be able to keep my account), so I do know what I'm talking about (and I also was prepared for it to happen).

They DON'T require your legal name, they require the name you USE. I got my account back with Option 3.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 12-04-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    So you guys might remember that my cousin attempted to beat me to death last year.

Well, the fucker keeps calling here seeking redemption, wanting to be forgiven.
    I would be dead if it wasn't for AA, and i am all about forgiveness, but this is the hardest one i've ever tried.

He didn't just beat me, he hacked my wife's facebook and wrote 30 or 40 posts, mostly of a sexual nature, that were so awful that i won't even repeat them here. He also called CPS on my brother and sister in law, and they STILL haven't completely shaken them off. They nearly took my baby niece away from them, and they were forced to leave the state over all of it.

I don't know what in the hell to do. It pisses me off that he is even calling here.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I don't know what in the hell to do. It pisses me off that he is even calling here.
    I'm in a very pissed off mood myself so my first thought was "fuck him to hell".

But there's one thing you have to consider: mostly, you forgive someone for your own peace of mind, not theirs. Forgiving is very much an act of letting go of the situation that's upsetting you. You may not be ready to do that just yet for yourself but above all else: don't do it for him.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    "You're forgiven, now fuck off" is indeed a perfectly acceptable outcome. Forgiving someone can definitely mean "disappear, vanish entirely from my existence, you're not even a problem of mine anymore". Nobody said forgiveness had to be kind.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Yeah, your answer could be: when and if I am ready to forgive, I will contact you. In the meantime please don't come contacting me.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Heh, I know. I just went through this silly multi-day process (which was the point of my frustration, them wrongly pulling my account and the whole dumb process, I was pretty sure I would be able to keep my account), so I do know what I'm talking about (and I also was prepared for it to happen).

They DON'T require your legal name, they require the name you USE. I got my account back with Option 3.
    Annnd locked out again. I really, really wish I didn't use this site so much to actually feel not being able to access it. And I really need to download my archive.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Is someone reporting you? wtf

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I know people who have changed their name legally and/or have gone by name X for over 20 years so it's definitely not about the name you use.