Page 124 of 529 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 224 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 15851

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wonder what "Just Do It" sounds/sounded like....(apologies if this is the wrong thread for this thought)

Or "The Beauty of the Drug," for that matter.
    Last edited by pinata89; 02-18-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    Wonder what "Just Do It" sounds/sounded like....(apologies if this is the wrong thread for this thought)

Or "The Beauty of the Drug," for that matter.
    I feel we've probably heard the music in another place by now (Ghosts or The Slip at the very lest), though I'd also love to hear the orig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I feel we've probably heard the music in another place by now (Ghosts or The Slip at the very lest), though I'd also love to hear the orig
    I've always suspected that Ghosts used a lot of leftover sound banks or files from previous eras, even though it was stated that the album was recorded from scratch during a 10 week session. Just speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    I've always suspected that Ghosts used a lot of leftover sound banks or files from previous eras, even though it was stated that the album was recorded from scratch during a 10 week session. Just speculation.
    Doubt it. Ghosts never felt anything like a leftover to me. Though of course that's only what I think and thus as good a guess as any. In the end, it doesn't matter, Ghosts is good stuff.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by copy_of_b View Post
    Doubt it. Ghosts never felt anything like a leftover to me. Though of course that's only what I think and thus as good a guess as any. In the end, it doesn't matter, Ghosts is good stuff.
    Ghosts is FAR from leftovers, but no matter how good those musicians are, 38 100% original tracks produced in that time frame is kinda insane, and I doubt anyone would hold it against them if a couple of noises were used.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    By that logic, all (most) of the Fragile leftovers were also reused, and this ain't true according to the latest interview.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Ghosts is FAR from leftovers, but no matter how good those musicians are, 38 100% original tracks produced in that time frame is kinda insane, and I doubt anyone would hold it against them if a couple of noises were used.
    I wouldn't call the Ghost tracks original, there's many resemblance and similarity among each other-

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I wouldn't call the Ghost tracks original, there's many resemblance and similarity among each other-
    i disagree strongly with this statement.

there's a relatively consistent MOOD that connects all the songs, but i don't hear much similarity musically between them.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's almost like they were made by the same musician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally would like to see Trent make a Nine Inch Nails album with Robin, Ilan, and Alessandro.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripe(withdecay) View Post
    I personally would like to see Trent make a Nine Inch Nails album with Robin, Ilan, and Alessandro.
    There's a certain element to songwriting that takes a bit of work. I, myself, have been involved in songwriting, and realize there is a certain type of chemistry necessary to find what you're looking for...and sometimes, the search for the chemistry is immense. I love Robin, Ilan, and Allesandro, and I think they all bring a lot to the table, musically. But sometimes, in your mind, you have already decided what you want and how you want it to sound...leaving you, as the performer, as the only person to execute the task.

This is why I (and likely, many of you) trust and respect TR so much....because, sometimes, there is just something there that only YOU can relay to your audience....and TR does that better than anyone, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripe(withdecay) View Post
    I mean, The Slip was that but -Ilan +Josh

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Ally didn't play on The Slip (per his own words, despite being listed in the credits). And the amount of Robin/Josh contributions is debatable since there were no song-specific credits at all.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Ally didn't play on The Slip (per his own words, despite being listed in the credits). And the amount of Robin/Josh contributions is debatable since there were no song-specific credits at all.
    Ally performed as the hand on the cover :P
    And yeah I forgot he'd said that - though I doubt TR would've credited the others if they'd done NOTHING, even if it was just session musician stuff.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I kind of agree in certain cases. For instance...

At 1:15, 28 Ghosts IV has a single string plucked on the beat reminiscent of Hurt at 1:10 (this is debatable).
    31 Ghosts IV's riff is virtually identical to Head Like A Hole's bass line.

I can't think of any others. 31 Ghosts IV is the only one which is immediately recognisable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    so, I heard the "red horse vector" phrase for the first time yesterday when I was listening to YZ (on a single monitor with both the left and right channels running through it) and it creeped me the fuck out! I'd always heard about the phrase, but never actually heard it for myself before.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Speaking of Russell Mills, check this out from his website:

Mills has enjoyed a special relationship with Nine Inch Nails since first contacted by Trent Reznor and NIN’s then designer Gary Talpas in 1994. That first conference call exchange led to Mills producing a raft of mixed media works towards uses on the The Downward Spiral album, which was released to great acclaim in 1994. This was quickly followed by commissions for the first single from the album, The March of The Pigs, also released in 1994. A cover for the remix album Further Down The Spiral was then commissioned and created against a tight deadline in 1995. Work for the packaging of Closure, a double video of live footage, followed in 1997: the videos also included works made for The Downward Spiral.
    A hiatus of 15 years passed before Trent reestablished contact in late December 2012 to check whether Mills might be willing and able to undertake another body of work for a project that, at the time, was still merely tentative and that might not actually materialise: this became the Hesitation Marks album, released in 2013. Characteristically Mills became totally immersed in the commission, producing over 30 new works for possible use. Working in close collaboration with NIN designer Rob Sheridan, Hesitation Marks was released in multiple versions, each using different artworks made by Mills and several singles were also released each utilising new artworks.
    Following on from Hesitation Marks Reznor invited Mills to create a limited edition multiple that would act as a focus for all the works made for the album. Working with Jeff Anderson of Artist-In-Residence, Mills has been developing this work since July/August 2013. The multiple, which is to be called Cargo In The Blood (The Reverse Is Also True) will include a 320 page 5 colour hardback book, and will be available in early to mid 2015.
    Does the last part indicated a NIN/Russell Mills art project???? If so, schwing!

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    320 pages... for 30 works? I've been a fan of Russell Mills' work for Nine Inch Nails, but that seems excessive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Found myself accidentally doing 85mph during Big Man With A Gun while listening to TDS during a road trip today.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    so, I heard the "red horse vector" phrase for the first time yesterday when I was listening to YZ (on a single monitor with both the left and right channels running through it) and it creeped me the fuck out! I'd always heard about the phrase, but never actually heard it for myself before.
    What is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    320 pages... for 30 works? I've been a fan of Russell Mills' work for Nine Inch Nails, but that seems excessive.
    I'm a huge fan of Russell too but I don't know how 320 pages of the NIN logo can be possible. Ha ha.... Yes, Russell Mills has done a lot more than the NIN logo but I just don't know about 320 pages.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Russell too but I don't know how 320 pages of the NIN logo can be possible. Ha ha.... Yes, Russell Mills has done a lot more than the NIN logo but I just don't know about 320 pages.
    NIN Logo wasn't done by Mills, it's by Gary Talpas of Föhn Design

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    NIN Logo wasn't done by Mills, it's by Gary Talpas of Föhn Design
    I know that. I was just referencing what Mills did with the logo

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just also thought of posting this Nine Inch Nails group from Facebook here. If you're on Facebook and are interested to join another place to discuss NIN, then here's the URL to go to. It overall seems to be a very nice place to also generally discuss NIN while sharing pictures and videos related to NIN without leaving Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209586182/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Speaking of Russell Mills, check this out from his website:

Mills has enjoyed a special relationship with Nine Inch Nails since first contacted by Trent Reznor and NIN’s then designer Gary Talpas in 1994. That first conference call exchange led to Mills producing a raft of mixed media works towards uses on the The Downward Spiral album, which was released to great acclaim in 1994. This was quickly followed by commissions for the first single from the album, The March of The Pigs, also released in 1994. A cover for the remix album Further Down The Spiral was then commissioned and created against a tight deadline in 1995. Work for the packaging of Closure, a double video of live footage, followed in 1997: the videos also included works made for The Downward Spiral.
    A hiatus of 15 years passed before Trent reestablished contact in late December 2012 to check whether Mills might be willing and able to undertake another body of work for a project that, at the time, was still merely tentative and that might not actually materialise: this became the Hesitation Marks album, released in 2013. Characteristically Mills became totally immersed in the commission, producing over 30 new works for possible use. Working in close collaboration with NIN designer Rob Sheridan, Hesitation Marks was released in multiple versions, each using different artworks made by Mills and several singles were also released each utilising new artworks.
    Following on from Hesitation Marks Reznor invited Mills to create a limited edition multiple that would act as a focus for all the works made for the album. Working with Jeff Anderson of Artist-In-Residence, Mills has been developing this work since July/August 2013. The multiple, which is to be called Cargo In The Blood (The Reverse Is Also True) will include a 320 page 5 colour hardback book, and will be available in early to mid 2015.
    Does the last part indicated a NIN/Russell Mills art project???? If so, schwing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    guess you guys haven't listened to the most recent episode of Underneath It All yet. we were actually the first to break that piece of news (before he put it up on his site).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does Trent really say "kind of hard" in the album version of 1,000,000 ? I hear "Get apart", or something like that.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    Does Trent really say "kind of hard" in the album version of 1,000,000 ? I hear "Get apart", or something like that.
    pretty sure its:

kind of hard
    hard to see
    when you crawl
    on your hands and your knees

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    To be pedantic, I think he says "kinda hard"

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    guess you guys haven't listened to the most recent episode of Underneath It All yet. we were actually the first to break that piece of news (before he put it up on his site).
    Guess you forgot about how I tweeted about your interview from the NIN Hotline twitter account after I'd listened through it.