Page 173 of 529 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,190 of 15850

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Listening to TDS instrumental after not listening to NIN since my last show in June (Prague).

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! Soooo good!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Every time I forget that Ghosts is a thing and I rediscover it, it's the most amazing feeling. I mean really, I've grown to appreciate it so much over the years, but I still have long gaps where it's far from what I listen to often at all, and when I finally go back to it it's like remembering all of a sudden how fantastic so much of it is.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    The opening of Disappointed, as well as the kick drum in the verses, sound so different depending on where I listen to the song; I usually listen to it with headphones, but when I use my monitor speakers, the kick has a "pickity pickity" sound that's inaudible to me when I use headphones. I've used all hi-res versions of the album (loud, hdtracks and audiophile mastered version) and even the vinyl rip.

Of course, it's common for music to sound different between speakers and headphones, but this is just head-scratching to me. Either there's something wrong with my speakers or soundcard, or Trent pulled off some magic mixing trick where certain sounds can only be heard with speakers (which reminds me of the out-of-phase sounds in Broken which are inaudible when you listen to it in mono).
    Last edited by wizfan; 08-01-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Donated blood today, went to the donor centre wearing my NIN tour shirt and the lady behind the counter actually commented on it and we had a 3-4 minute chat about their discography and how she doesn't like those songs that drag on and on (forgot to ask her what she was talking about), it was cool finding out her favourite album was TDS as well. I wonder if she's a member here?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    "C'mon down, c'mon down, c'mon dowwwwwwwn"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Everytime I listen to Satellite, I think of this commercial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish I'd never read "come down Julian." Now I hear it every. fucking. time.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    For me, Ghosts is the accumulation of everything I want to feel. I think it's one of the best things T-Rez has done.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I certainly agree. Ghosts I-IV captures moods that the other albums simply can't, with the exception of some songs from And All That Could Have Been (Still). I've been listening to it a lot more than I've used to, and it has certainly grown on me, but also in a different kind of way. I also like how it can be relaxing or contemplative, or even both at the same time.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I miss Rob's tour photography

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Thanks to the "Gatorade incident" with Down In It, I inevitably become reminded of Nine Inch Nails every single time I drink Gatorade. (As if Nine Inch Nails wasn't already burnt into my memory more than enough, as it is.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in...ng_information

The same can be also said for Coke Zero for me, but for a completely different reason. (With the Year Zero joke attached to it, that is.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-03-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I miss Rob's tour photography
    What happened to the fan interaction on tours? Rob and Trent have both been absolutely mute this entire tour cycle it seems.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If I had to guess, they're both stupidly busy.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Didn't know about the Gatorade thing. Now I'll probably have Down In It stuck in my head whenever I drink it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    enjoy your colored salty water.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Didn't know about the Gatorade thing. Now I'll probably have Down In It stuck in my head whenever I drink it.
    It just got stuck in my mind when I first read about it on this interview in 1994, with Trent mentioning it at The NIN Hotline. It's also mentioned on Wikipedia as well. And yes, that's what also been happening to me ever since.

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...plazm94a.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_It#Song_information

And well, for an even more obvious reason, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups also have the same effect on me.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    What happened to the fan interaction on tours? Rob and Trent have both been absolutely mute this entire tour cycle it seems.
    They are reposting fan pix on IG.

I didn't know about the Gatorade thing either. Is the alleged commercial on YT?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    If you're talking about the NIN account, that's more likely someone at Silva management (probably in charge of the NIN Twitter and FB at this point, too)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Never really thought about it but I bet you're right.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post

I didn't know about the Gatorade thing either. Is the alleged commercial on YT?
    I tried to find the commercial, but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass trying to watch Gatorade ads from 1990 to 1993.

Why would they use Down In It anyways? I know it's got a pretty catchy beat, but a song about being down in the dumps isn't exactly a smart choice for something like Gatorade.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was also asking about it a few times in the Random NIN Questions thread to no avail, but that could probably mean that it's not around at all. And well, perhaps it if was found, it would've been revealed on The NIN Hotline already. I even checked out Reddit, and I just didn't get any actual results either. I also guess that they mostly did it for it being catchy, and the background music in the Gatorade commercial from what I've read was actually an imitation of Down In It, instead of the actual song.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-04-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    It's not unusual for companies to use weird songs to advertise. The other day I saw one for Apple and it used Gigantic by the Pixies. If you haven't heard it, read the lyrics. Its about having sex with a guy who has a huge cock. That's the only one that pops in my head now, know there are lots of other examples.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I sometimes like how the gaps in between Nine Inch Nails albums sometimes brings up the fans' conception of time as they age. Even though I became a fan of NIN very late in the game, I felt fortunate that I was still able to get into NIN at least before finishing high school. I was 16 turning 17 in late 2002 at the time, and I still remember thinking from 2002-2004 (I graduated 1 year late.) in awe as to how old The Downward Spiral was, especially since I wasn't even a fan when TDS came out.

And now that 10 years have passed since I've graduated from high school, I see that With Teeth is now 9 years old, and that WT certainly did not feel as far as TDS did when it was 9. It just occurred to me as I was comparing how the distance between 1990-2004 felt a little bit different when compared to 2000-2014 to me. And well, I was only 8 when TDS came out, so it was only bound to feel like a greater length of time by the time it turned 8-10 when I was 16-19. They were definitely still obviously long waits, but damn, With Teeth still feels so much closer. I know it's a normal/natural thing, but the way time flies certainly never fails/ceases to amaze sometimes.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-04-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    It's not unusual for companies to use weird songs to advertise. The other day I saw one for Apple and it used Gigantic by the Pixies. If you haven't heard it, read the lyrics. Its about having sex with a guy who has a huge cock. That's the only one that pops in my head now, know there are lots of other examples.
    I don't think it's about having sex, it's just about the cock. It's funnier that way.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I don't think it's about having sex, it's just about the cock. It's funnier that way.
    I always took the "Walk her every day/into a shady place/and with her lips she said/she said/ hey paul hey paul hey paul let's have a ball" part to be them fucking.

Either way a song about a huge dong is a weird way to sell Iphones
    Last edited by icecream; 08-04-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've sometimes imagined what it would be like if there was a Nine Inch Nails album where most of the songs were like the following.

Kinda I Want To
    The Only Time
    Closer
    Sunspots

Get Down, Make Love
    Physical (You're So)

I've also sometimes liked the idea of more songs like Something I Can Never Have, A Warm Place and La Mer in general. I'm not saying that they don't exist, as there are other mellower and slower songs to appreciate, but when I'm in the right mood, those songs move me in ways that the heavier and faster songs just can't.

On the other hand, I've sometimes wondered what it would've been like if there were a few more songs like Somewhat Damaged on The Fragile, and a few more songs like The Line Beings To Blur on With Teeth. I also sometimes think that I would've preferred to have that noisy distortion near the end of No, You Don't playing during the other parts of it.

And well, I suppose that's about it for now. These particular random NIN thoughts seemed to keep occurring to me sporadically, but for whatever reason, I just ended up forgetting them time and time again.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-05-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally is amazing.
    Suck it @Swykk

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    The. Worst. NIN. Song.

By far.

But we do agree "Getting Smaller" isn't the worst, so that's something.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    The. Worst. NIN. Song.

By far.
    *almost crying*
    B-but w-why?