Page 23 of 529 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 523 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    On stage he might have played it up, but I think he was sincere when he wrote those songs and when he spoke in interviews. I remember reading Saul Williams talk about one of the songs on NiggyTardust and how he "raped" his life for arts sake, and I feel that Trent is probably the same way. After all, for as transparent as Trent has been with his fans, there's probably a lot we DON'T know about him.
    From stories I've been told, I am sure that there are a lot of things fans don't know. And I'm completely fine with that. He can be sincere and open and raw in his music, perform like a fucking boss, and still have a private life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I was going to see them again in 2009 at Aragon Ballroom but I made the stupid mistake of thinking "Well, I'll just skip presale and get the tickets when they go on sale..." and they all ended up selling out through presale. I wasn't thinking obviously.
    Actually they didn't all sell out in presale, unless I'm confusing sales. I was in the first 500 for the presale for the 8/29 show and a few weeks later more tickets went on sale and I got a pair for 8/28 then.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I agree with Jake a couple posts back, in regards to the touring from 05-09. i only saw nin once during that period, and that was during the lights in the sky tour. the closest they came to me on the ninja tour was kansas city and i kick myself to this day for not going, because they opened that show with now im freakin nothing (favorite song from phm era).

aside from the lits tour, the only other time i saw em was back in 2000 on fragility 2.0, in minneapolis. april 17th if i remember correctly, because maynard (apc opened) said something to the effect of "its my birthday, and if you want to do someting for me, go home after the show, put on an elton john record, and masturbate till you pass out"

they played my hometown on sioux falls back in the day on the 2nd leg of the self destruct tour, but i was in middle school at the time and dint really listen to any music at all. i know that show was a film date too, along with omaha, and i can tell they used some of the footage from that show in the live medly of eraser/hurt/wish on closure from the wide shots. totally the sioux falls arena.

oh well, im sure once tr gets back into the groove of performing with htda, itll only be a matter of time before we get another nin tour. thats how it always happens, said artist 'retires' from playing live, gets talked into doing a festival or short tour, and gets bitten by the "performance" bug.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 10-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think most artists enjoy performing.

It's the monotonous TOURING that is supposedly mostly no fun.

Unless you're Sting and you use private jets and schedule 3-day breaks between each show and you take your brood and three nannies with you during a school break.

(Or you only do, say, 5 shows and that's it for the year.)
    Last edited by allegro; 10-30-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    On stage he might have played it up, but I think he was sincere when he wrote those songs and when he spoke in interviews. I remember reading Saul Williams talk about one of the songs on NiggyTardust and how he "raped" his life for arts sake, and I feel that Trent is probably the same way. After all, for as transparent as Trent has been with his fans, there's probably a lot we DON'T know about him.
    I've always thought Trent's stage act is quite sincere and I doubt he has to play it up much. I'm sure I've heard him say in the past that playing certain songs takes him back to the place he was when he wrote them. And I imagine that was one of the main reasons he decided to stop touring; you know, if he was getting married and planning a new life around that then I can't imagine him wanting to keep playing all these songs that make him feel shit on stage. And his recent work with HTDA and Atticus has certainly been a lot less aggressive and angsty. I kind of doubt we'll see NIN again as they were, and if they do tour again I think Trent will pull a 'Bowie' and resign from playing most (if not all) of the old songs. TBH I can't really imagine him wanting to go back to singing songs that are potentially going to bring up a lot of old shit for him.

(Not that I wouldn't kill for a chance to see them play And All That Could Have Been live........)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Bowie didn't really stop playing old songs, he just paused his solo career to work with Tin Machine (which pointedly ignored his back catalogue). Eventually, he went back to conventional touring after a couple of years, beginning with the 1995 Outside/NIN tour, though for a while after that his band played old tunes as revamped arrangements to better fit in with the then-contemporary music he was making. Maybe HTDA will do the same with NIN's old stuff, à la the 2006 radio show sessions with Peter Murphy.
    Last edited by botley; 10-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Or like Devin Townsend did with the Retinal Circus performance a few days ago. He had disbanded Strapping Young Lad six years ago, yet he did bring SYL guitarist Jed Simon as a surprise guest performer for the night and they played two SYL songs along with the rest of the Devin Townsend Project band.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipfinator View Post
    Actually they didn't all sell out in presale, unless I'm confusing sales. I was in the first 500 for the presale for the 8/29 show and a few weeks later more tickets went on sale and I got a pair for 8/28 then.
    I think you may have been confusing sales, of course I don't want to put words in your mouth or anything. I just remember thinking I would just get my girlfriend and I at the time's hotel that Friday that the presale happened and the next thing I knew, that Saturday when I was checking out ETS everyone was talking about how all the tickets were gone. I remember being really pissed off at this as it's been something I never forgave myself for. haha. I had to cancel the hotel and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I agree with Jake a couple posts back, in regards to the touring from 05-09. i only saw nin once during that period, and that was during the lights in the sky tour. the closest they came to me on the ninja tour was kansas city and i kick myself to this day for not going, because they opened that show with now im freakin nothing (favorite song from phm era).

aside from the lits tour, the only other time i saw em was back in 2000 on fragility 2.0, in minneapolis. april 17th if i remember correctly, because maynard (apc opened) said something to the effect of "its my birthday, and if you want to do someting for me, go home after the show, put on an elton john record, and masturbate till you pass out"

they played my hometown on sioux falls back in the day on the 2nd leg of the self destruct tour, but i was in middle school at the time and dint really listen to any music at all. i know that show was a film date too, along with omaha, and i can tell they used some of the footage from that show in the live medly of eraser/hurt/wish on closure from the wide shots. totally the sioux falls arena.

oh well, im sure once tr gets back into the groove of performing with htda, itll only be a matter of time before we get another nin tour. thats how it always happens, said artist 'retires' from playing live, gets talked into doing a festival or short tour, and gets bitten by the "performance" bug.
    Yeah, I was only 13 when they came to St. Louis for the Fragility tour and although I would discover and love the band incredibly just a year later I don't think my parents were too okay with most of the lyrical content enough to take me to a concert where their 13 year old son would be yelling "STARFUCKERS!!". I have amazing parents though, haha.

I really hope that after this HTDA stuff that Trent does get bitten by a "performance" bug, even if it's not a full tour and only a couple of cities...I will make damn sure that I travel and get to see NIN live one more time. Rollinger, the KC show was pretty amazing...although I wish I would've been able to hear more rarities from that tour like Metal, Americans and such it was really awesome to get Now I'm Nothing, (which in every YT video of the song you can hear my warrior cry of excitement when the drums kick in), Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now), The Becoming, Way Out Is Through and Physical..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Most of the Quake OST could be good to have playing in your front porch tonight for atmosphere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Most of the Quake OST could be good to have playing in your front porch tonight for atmosphere.
    I actually did that one year. Good times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I've long suspected Trent of being somewhat of a charlatan. I believe he played up some of his psychological weaknesses to attract a certain market. Also, to say that Trent was doing this purely for the art of it would be a lie as he obviously cares about profits.
    That is not called being a charlatan. That is called not being a complete moron. Only morons share every aspect of themselves with the world. And is it really something to figure out. He has said in many interviews that most of the happier and positive parts of his life he keeps to himself. And people who do art purely for art without trying to make money don't have careers they have hobbies.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I wish Trent had some in the studio type videos>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Or like Devin Townsend did with the Retinal Circus performance a few days ago. He had disbanded Strapping Young Lad six years ago, yet he did bring SYL guitarist Jed Simon as a surprise guest performer for the night and they played two SYL songs along with the rest of the Devin Townsend Project band.
    That show was phenomenal, and he's already writing two more albums! Dude's a beast.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Bowie didn't really stop playing old songs, he just paused his solo career to work with Tin Machine (which pointedly ignored his back catalogue). Eventually, he went back to conventional touring after a couple of years, beginning with the 1995 Outside/NIN tour, though for a while after that his band played old tunes as revamped arrangements to better fit in with the then-contemporary music he was making. Maybe HTDA will do the same with NIN's old stuff, à la the 2006 radio show sessions with Peter Murphy.
    i love the rework of "The Man Who Sold the World" from those days. it's stunning.

and i think there are lots of recent NIN songs that would work as is for HTDA, but it'd also be interesting to see stuff redone like "Reptile" from the aforementioned 2006 radio sessions.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Our office decided to construct our own mini-golf course for the day. Each hole was themed - Key Hole, Fishing Hole, Loop Hole, etc. I, of course, made Head Like A Hole . Here are some pictures http://imgur.com/a/prze1

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    the post about the deluxe fragile on the AMA just made me so happy. that is all.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's cute how so many people are asking when Broken and Closure will come out on DVD.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    TR on reddit - 'cryptic additional comment: 2013'

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Im so glad, Trent is releasing The Fragile 5.1 Remixes, can't wait!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ls_and_how_to/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The segue from "Dick Laurent is dead" BRRRRRRRRT to the opening beat of Driver Down is awesome!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think my favorite so far was the question about YZ:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...how_to/c70tb7v

"staging an appearance of The Presence in real life" jesus christ trent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like how right now Trent is just fooling around with people

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rehearsals for two bands...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    NIN tour in 2013!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    Rehearsals for two bands...
    omg, this means .... OPTION 30 REUNION TOUR!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Live rehearsal for two bands - involved in a song for QOTSA - NIN tour 2013
    Now I understand that pic with Josh, Josh and Lohner

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There can't possibly be a new NIN Tour without new music, right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    There can't possibly be a new NIN Tour without new music, right?
    Of course, It'll be in support of Zoo Station & Tetsuo

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Either way, I'm going.